Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What happened to eggnog this year?

I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in quarts.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 8:51:05 AM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:
> I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in quarts.)

It's so easy to make at home, I'm surprised you care.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 8:52:02 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 8:51:05 AM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:
> > I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in quarts.)

> It's so easy to make at home, I'm surprised you care.

If you're nervous about raw eggs (and most guests would be, not that I have any this year), what recipe would you recommend?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2020 8:50 AM, Lenona wrote:
> I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in quarts.)

Local store had an end of aisle case full of it. Featured sale item
before Christmas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 9:08:16 AM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 8:52:02 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 8:51:05 AM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:
> > > I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in quarts.)

> > It's so easy to make at home, I'm surprised you care.

> If you're nervous about raw eggs (and most guests would be, not that I have any this year), what recipe would you recommend?

I'm not nervous about raw eggs and this is no time to have guests in the
house.

Sorry, can't help.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-12-30 8:50 a.m., Lenona wrote:
> I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in
> the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in
> quarts.)

I have not bought any in years so I never bother looking for it. Never
the less, I still see it in the dairy section. Not this year. The local
convenience stores usually have signs up on their windows and doors
advertising egg nog, but I didn't notice any this year.

It seems to me that egg nog is more of a party beverage. It's not
something that people get for themselves. There weren't many social
gatherings this Christmas, so I imagine that the market for the stuff
went down the tubes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-12-30 9:08 a.m., Lenona wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 8:52:02 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 8:51:05 AM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:
>>> I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in quarts.)

>> It's so easy to make at home, I'm surprised you care.

> If you're nervous about raw eggs (and most guests would be, not that I have any this year), what recipe would you recommend?

There is no shortage of recipes for eggnog that involve cooking the eggs
in milk and cream, making a thin custard .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 10:24:23 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-12-30 9:08 a.m., Lenona wrote:
> >> It's so easy to make at home, I'm surprised you care.

> > If you're nervous about raw eggs (and most guests would be, not that I have any this year), what recipe would you recommend?
> >

> There is no shortage of recipes for eggnog that involve cooking the eggs
> in milk and cream, making a thin custard .

Also, come to think of it, pasteurized eggs are available at the grocery store.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 10:23:14 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-12-30 8:50 a.m., Lenona wrote:
> > I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in
> > the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in
> > quarts.)
> >

> I have not bought any in years so I never bother looking for it. Never
> the less, I still see it in the dairy section. Not this year. The local
> convenience stores usually have signs up on their windows and doors
> advertising egg nog, but I didn't notice any this year.
>
> It seems to me that egg nog is more of a party beverage. It's not
> something that people get for themselves. There weren't many social
> gatherings this Christmas, so I imagine that the market for the stuff
> went down the tubes.

Brilliant, thank you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 7:51:05 AM UTC-6, Lenona wrote:

> I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in quarts.)

There were quarts and quarts and quarts available at my local store.
If I'm lucky, maybe they will have it on clearance today but I'm not
going to hold my breath.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:24:58 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-12-30 8:50 a.m., Lenona wrote:
>> I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in
>> the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in
>> quarts.)
>>

> I have not bought any in years so I never bother looking for it. Never
> the less, I still see it in the dairy section. Not this year. The local
> convenience stores usually have signs up on their windows and doors
> advertising egg nog, but I didn't notice any this year.
>
> It seems to me that egg nog is more of a party beverage. It's not
> something that people get for themselves. There weren't many social
> gatherings this Christmas, so I imagine that the market for the stuff
> went down the tubes.

and along with mince pies, a tradition that we could well do without:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Graham wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:24:58 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > On 2020-12-30 8:50 a.m., Lenona wrote:
> >> I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in
> >> the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in
> >> quarts.)
> >>

> > I have not bought any in years so I never bother looking for it. Never
> > the less, I still see it in the dairy section. Not this year. The local
> > convenience stores usually have signs up on their windows and doors
> > advertising egg nog, but I didn't notice any this year.
> >
> > It seems to me that egg nog is more of a party beverage. It's not
> > something that people get for themselves. There weren't many social
> > gatherings this Christmas, so I imagine that the market for the stuff
> > went down the tubes.

> and along with mince pies, a tradition that we could well do without:-)

Tomorrow I am fetching a mince pie from my local bakery, shall I have a "virtual" piece for you, Graham...???

;-)

I agree with you about eggnog...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2020 8:50 AM, Lenona wrote:
> I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in quarts.)

I don't know where you live but I saw plenty of egg nog and "boiled
custard" (half gallons) in the dairy case this year.

Or you could just go to a liquor store and buy a boozy bottle of 'Old
Mr. Boston' Egg Nog. I'm thinking of getting some tomorrow for New
Years Eve.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-12-30 11:21 a.m., Graham wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:24:58 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

advertising egg nog, but I didn't notice any this year.

>> It seems to me that egg nog is more of a party beverage. It's not
>> something that people get for themselves. There weren't many social
>> gatherings this Christmas, so I imagine that the market for the stuff
>> went down the tubes.

> and along with mince pies, a tradition that we could well do without:-)

Damn, you reminded me of mince meat tarts, one of the best of the
holiday treats. I usually make several batches of them. Thanks to me
health scare this year I didn't make any. The only Christmas baking I
did this year was the light fruit cake and a batch of gingerbread. The
people who got fruitcake gifts all said it was the best I had ever made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 10:22:05 AM UTC-6, Graham wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:24:58 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > It seems to me that egg nog is more of a party beverage. It's not
> > something that people get for themselves. There weren't many social
> > gatherings this Christmas, so I imagine that the market for the stuff
> > went down the tubes.
> >

> and along with mince pies, a tradition that we could well do without:-)

Nooooooo! I l.o.v.e. mince pies!! But I do admit to not seeing a single pie
at any store this year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 10:22:05 AM UTC-6, Graham wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:24:58 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > > It seems to me that egg nog is more of a party beverage. It's not
> > > something that people get for themselves. There weren't many social
> > > gatherings this Christmas, so I imagine that the market for the stuff
> > > went down the tubes.
> > >

> > and along with mince pies, a tradition that we could well do without:-)
> >

> Nooooooo! I l.o.v.e. mince pies!! But I do admit to not seeing a single pie
> at any store this year.

It's an item that has gradually fallen out of favor I guess. In reading about Christmases of old, or seeing old food ads, mince pies were right up there with pumpkin as holiday far in the US. I had to special order mine from my local bakery...in fact last year was the first time I ever had eaten one (again ordered from my bakery)

Kind of like suet pudding, are those still common in, say the UK I wonder....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suet_pudding

"A suet pudding is a boiled, steamed or baked pudding made with wheat flour and suet (raw, hard fat of beef or mutton found around the kidneys), often with breadcrumb, dried fruits such as raisins, other preserved fruits, and spices. The British term pudding usually refers to a dessert or sweet course, but suet puddings may be savoury.

Many variations are strongly associated with British cuisine. Recipes vary greatly and can be desserts or savoury courses. They are typically boiled or steamed, though some baked variations and recipes adapted for microwave ovens exist. Modern recipes may substitute butter or vegetable shortening for the eponymous suet.

Examples include spotted dick, Christmas pudding, treacle pudding, clootie, jam roly-poly and many others. Savoury versions include rabbit, chicken, game and steak and kidney pudding..."

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 11:35:58 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-12-30 11:21 a.m., Graham wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:24:58 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

> advertising egg nog, but I didn't notice any this year.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that egg nog is more of a party beverage. It's not
>>> something that people get for themselves. There weren't many social
>>> gatherings this Christmas, so I imagine that the market for the stuff
>>> went down the tubes.

>> and along with mince pies, a tradition that we could well do without:-)
>>

> Damn, you reminded me of mince meat tarts, one of the best of the
> holiday treats. I usually make several batches of them. Thanks to me
> health scare this year I didn't make any. The only Christmas baking I
> did this year was the light fruit cake and a batch of gingerbread. The
> people who got fruitcake gifts all said it was the best I had ever made.

Due to oven problems, I restricted my xmas baking to almond tarts (6 dozen)
and sablés (4 dozen vanilla and 2 dozen lemon).
When the element I've ordered is installed, I'll bake up a storm:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 11:35:58 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-12-30 11:21 a.m., Graham wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:24:58 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

> advertising egg nog, but I didn't notice any this year.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that egg nog is more of a party beverage. It's not
>>> something that people get for themselves. There weren't many social
>>> gatherings this Christmas, so I imagine that the market for the stuff
>>> went down the tubes.

>> and along with mince pies, a tradition that we could well do without:-)
>>

> Damn, you reminded me of mince meat tarts, one of the best of the
> holiday treats. I usually make several batches of them. Thanks to me
> health scare this year I didn't make any. The only Christmas baking I
> did this year was the light fruit cake and a batch of gingerbread. The
> people who got fruitcake gifts all said it was the best I had ever made.

I adore the traditional heavy xmas fruit cake, especially with my style of
almond icing. However, it's just too calorific!! I like the light fruit
cakes too, especially Dundee cake, which I haven't had for many years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:46:06 -0800 (PST), GM wrote:

> wrote:

>>> and along with mince pies, a tradition that we could well do without:-)
>>>

>> Nooooooo! I l.o.v.e. mince pies!! But I do admit to not seeing a single pie
>> at any store this year.

> It's an item that has gradually fallen out of favor I guess. In reading about Christmases of old, or seeing old food ads, mince pies were right up there with pumpkin as holiday far in the US. I had to special order mine from my local bakery...in fact last year was the first time I ever had eaten one (again ordered from my bakery)
>
> Kind of like suet pudding, are those still common in, say the UK I wonder...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suet_pudding

> "A suet pudding is a boiled, steamed or baked pudding made with wheat flour and suet (raw, hard fat of beef or mutton found around the kidneys), often with breadcrumb, dried fruits such as raisins, other preserved fruits, and spices. The British term pudding usually refers to a dessert or sweet course, but suet puddings may be savoury.
>
> Many variations are strongly associated with British cuisine. Recipes vary greatly and can be desserts or savoury courses. They are typically boiled or steamed, though some baked variations and recipes adapted for microwave ovens exist. Modern recipes may substitute butter or vegetable shortening for the eponymous suet.
>
> Examples include spotted dick, Christmas pudding, treacle pudding, clootie, jam roly-poly and many others. Savoury versions include rabbit, chicken, game and steak and kidney pudding..."

A lot of these dishes were poor people's food and were ideal in a time when
people worked hard in appaling conditions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Graham wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:46:06 -0800 (PST), GM wrote:
>
> > wrote:

> >> Nooooooo! I l.o.v.e. mince pies!! But I do admit to not seeing a single pie
> >> at any store this year.

> > It's an item that has gradually fallen out of favor I guess. In reading about Christmases of old, or seeing old food ads, mince pies were right up there with pumpkin as holiday far in the US. I had to special order mine from my local bakery...in fact last year was the first time I ever had eaten one (again ordered from my bakery)
> >
> > Kind of like suet pudding, are those still common in, say the UK I wonder...
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suet_pudding
> >
> > "A suet pudding is a boiled, steamed or baked pudding made with wheat flour and suet (raw, hard fat of beef or mutton found around the kidneys), often with breadcrumb, dried fruits such as raisins, other preserved fruits, and spices. The British term pudding usually refers to a dessert or sweet course, but suet puddings may be savoury.
> >
> > Many variations are strongly associated with British cuisine. Recipes vary greatly and can be desserts or savoury courses. They are typically boiled or steamed, though some baked variations and recipes adapted for microwave ovens exist. Modern recipes may substitute butter or vegetable shortening for the eponymous suet.
> >
> > Examples include spotted dick, Christmas pudding, treacle pudding, clootie, jam roly-poly and many others. Savoury versions include rabbit, chicken, game and steak and kidney pudding..."

> A lot of these dishes were poor people's food and were ideal in a time when
> people worked hard in appaling conditions.

Yes, very dense in calories...

I've been reading up about contemporary UK Holiday foods, and I was surprised to find that "pigs in blankets" are quite popular, who knew...!!!???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/p...blankets_63316

"Pigs in blankets are too delicious to be reserved for a one-off Christmas side dish - try them as a party snack or with roast chicken. They take no time to make and will be just how you like them.

Ingredients
8 thin slices streaky bacon
16 chipolata sausages
cocktail sticks, to secure the bacon

Method
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.

Place the bacon on a chopping board, then using the side of the knife, stretch and flatten the bacon until about half as long again.

Cut each strip of bacon in half across, then wrap each piece around a chipolata, securing with cocktail sticks.

Place in a roasting tray and roast for 15 minutes until golden-brown and cooked through..."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2020 12:01 PM, Graham wrote:
> A lot of these dishes were poor people's food and were ideal in a time when
> people worked hard in appaling conditions.

I always wanted to make steak & kidney pie. I have never been able to
find lamb kidneys anywhere in the US. Oh well.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2020 11:49 AM, Graham wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 11:35:58 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> On 2020-12-30 11:21 a.m., Graham wrote:
>>> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:24:58 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>

>> advertising egg nog, but I didn't notice any this year.

>>> and along with mince pies, a tradition that we could well do without:-)
>>>

>> Damn, you reminded me of mince meat tarts, one of the best of the
>> holiday treats. I usually make several batches of them. Thanks to me
>> health scare this year I didn't make any. The only Christmas baking I
>> did this year was the light fruit cake and a batch of gingerbread. The
>> people who got fruitcake gifts all said it was the best I had ever made.

> Due to oven problems, I restricted my xmas baking to almond tarts (6 dozen)
> and sablés (4 dozen vanilla and 2 dozen lemon).
> When the element I've ordered is installed, I'll bake up a storm:-)

I hope it arrives soon, Graham.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 12:19:15 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 12/30/2020 12:01 PM, Graham wrote:
>> A lot of these dishes were poor people's food and were ideal in a time when
>> people worked hard in appaling conditions.

> I always wanted to make steak & kidney pie. I have never been able to
> find lamb kidneys anywhere in the US. Oh well.
>
> Jill

Beef/veal or pork kidney work just as well. Indeed, the original would use
whatever was to hand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 12:19:53 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 12/30/2020 11:49 AM, Graham wrote:

>>> advertising egg nog, but I didn't notice any this year.

>>> Damn, you reminded me of mince meat tarts, one of the best of the
>>> holiday treats. I usually make several batches of them. Thanks to me
>>> health scare this year I didn't make any. The only Christmas baking I
>>> did this year was the light fruit cake and a batch of gingerbread. The
>>> people who got fruitcake gifts all said it was the best I had ever made.

>> Due to oven problems, I restricted my xmas baking to almond tarts (6 dozen)
>> and sablés (4 dozen vanilla and 2 dozen lemon).
>> When the element I've ordered is installed, I'll bake up a storm:-)
>>

> I hope it arrives soon, Graham.
>
> Jill

Thanks! They promised next week, and it's a good company.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lenona wrote:
> I searched for it just before Christmas and didn't even see a gap in the place where I would normally find it. (They would sell it in quarts.)

we had just that much and it was name brand local for us.
since i'm the only one who likes it that was plenty. i used
the last of it on some ice cream and sprinkled it with more
nutmeg.

sometimes i skip a few years before having it again so i was
glad to have some this year as i didn't have any last year but
i did want some. just never actually got it. unlike some
people though i can be patient and wait for it to come around
again.

then again, i also can make my own, but i've not done that in
many years.

songbird