Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "My Family Stopped Eating Sugar for a Year and This is What Happened"

Interesting!

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...202700552.html

First paragraphs:

By Eve O. Schaub, Special to Everyday Health

Once upon a time, I was healthy - at least I thought I was.

Sure, I lacked enough energy to get me through the day, but with all the commercials on TV touting energy drinks for America's tired masses, I always assumed I wasn't the only one suffering. And sure, everyone in my family dreaded the coming cold and flu season, but again, I thought come January everyone develops some degree of germophobia.

At least, that's what I thought until I heard some disturbing new information about the effects of sugar...

(snip)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 09:31:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> Interesting!

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...202700552.html

>First paragraphs:
>
> By Eve O. Schaub, Special to Everyday Health
>
>Once upon a time, I was healthy - at least I thought I was.
>
>Sure, I lacked enough energy to get me through the day, but with all the commercials on TV touting energy drinks for America's tired masses, I always assumed I wasn't the only one suffering. And sure, everyone in my family dreaded the coming cold and flu season, but again, I thought come January everyone develops some degree of germophobia.
>
>At least, that's what I thought until I heard some disturbing new information about the effects of sugar...
>
>(snip)

The corn lobby won't like that article.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 5:16 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 09:31:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> Interesting!

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...202700552.html

>> First paragraphs:
>>
>> By Eve O. Schaub, Special to Everyday Health
>>
>> Once upon a time, I was healthy - at least I thought I was.
>>
>> Sure, I lacked enough energy to get me through the day, but with all the commercials on TV touting energy drinks for America's tired masses, I always assumed I wasn't the only one suffering. And sure, everyone in my family dreaded the coming cold and flu season, but again, I thought come January everyone develops some degree of germophobia.
>>
>> At least, that's what I thought until I heard some disturbing new information about the effects of sugar...
>>
>> (snip)

> The corn lobby won't like that article.

The corn lobby won't pay much attention to it.

I don't know why sugar or sugar derivatives/substitutes causing problems
comes as such a surprise. Obviously the person writing the article
never bothered to read ingredients labels. "I lacked enough energy to
get me through the day". Well yeah, if you start off with something
laden with sugar (like donuts or sugary cereal) you're gonna crash in a
few hours. Those energy drinks? Ugh. The author further states,
"According to several experts, sugar is the thing that is making so many
Americans fat and sick." Gee! Shocking news!

Naturally if you eat foods that aren't laden with sugar you'll feel
better. That's just common sense. It's like people who reduce their
sodium intake. If you stop using so much salt when you cook you'll
certainly notice if prepared food tastes overly salty. It's not rocket
science.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/11/2014 5:16 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 09:31:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting!

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...202700552.html

>>> First paragraphs:
>>>
>>> By Eve O. Schaub, Special to Everyday Health
>>>
>>> Once upon a time, I was healthy - at least I thought I was.
>>>
>>> Sure, I lacked enough energy to get me through the day, but with all the
>>> commercials on TV touting energy drinks for America's tired masses, I
>>> always assumed I wasn't the only one suffering. And sure, everyone in my
>>> family dreaded the coming cold and flu season, but again, I thought come
>>> January everyone develops some degree of germophobia.
>>>
>>> At least, that's what I thought until I heard some disturbing new
>>> information about the effects of sugar...
>>>
>>> (snip)

>> The corn lobby won't like that article.
>>

> The corn lobby won't pay much attention to it.
>
> I don't know why sugar or sugar derivatives/substitutes causing problems
> comes as such a surprise. Obviously the person writing the article never
> bothered to read ingredients labels. "I lacked enough energy to get me
> through the day". Well yeah, if you start off with something laden with
> sugar (like donuts or sugary cereal) you're gonna crash in a few hours.
> Those energy drinks? Ugh. The author further states, "According to
> several experts, sugar is the thing that is making so many Americans fat
> and sick." Gee! Shocking news!
>
> Naturally if you eat foods that aren't laden with sugar you'll feel
> better. That's just common sense. It's like people who reduce their
> sodium intake. If you stop using so much salt when you cook you'll
> certainly notice if prepared food tastes overly salty. It's not rocket
> science.
>
> Jill

Low carbers have known all of that for decades, nothing new there.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 8:16 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...202700552.html

>>> The corn lobby won't like that article.
>>>

>> The corn lobby won't pay much attention to it.
>>
>> I don't know why sugar or sugar derivatives/substitutes causing
>> problems comes as such a surprise. Obviously the person writing the
>> article never bothered to read ingredients labels. "I lacked enough
>> energy to get me through the day". Well yeah, if you start off with
>> something laden with sugar (like donuts or sugary cereal) you're gonna
>> crash in a few hours. Those energy drinks? Ugh. The author further
>> states, "According to several experts, sugar is the thing that is
>> making so many Americans fat and sick." Gee! Shocking news!
>>
>> Naturally if you eat foods that aren't laden with sugar you'll feel
>> better. That's just common sense. It's like people who reduce their
>> sodium intake. If you stop using so much salt when you cook you'll
>> certainly notice if prepared food tastes overly salty. It's not
>> rocket science.
>>
>> Jill

> Low carbers have known all of that for decades, nothing new there.
>
> Cheri

I'm not a low carber and I've known about it for decades, too.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:55:32 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/11/2014 5:16 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 09:31:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting!

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...202700552.html

>>> First paragraphs:
>>>
>>> By Eve O. Schaub, Special to Everyday Health
>>>
>>> Once upon a time, I was healthy - at least I thought I was.
>>>
>>> Sure, I lacked enough energy to get me through the day, but with all the commercials on TV touting energy drinks for America's tired masses, I always assumed I wasn't the only one suffering. And sure, everyone in my family dreaded the coming cold and flu season, but again, I thought come January everyone develops some degree of germophobia.
>>>
>>> At least, that's what I thought until I heard some disturbing new information about the effects of sugar...
>>>
>>> (snip)

>> The corn lobby won't like that article.
>>

>The corn lobby won't pay much attention to it.

No attention at all, more like. Wishful thinking on my part.
Now, if it was on a major network of some sort, then they would.

>I don't know why sugar or sugar derivatives/substitutes causing problems
>comes as such a surprise. Obviously the person writing the article
>never bothered to read ingredients labels. "I lacked enough energy to
>get me through the day". Well yeah, if you start off with something
>laden with sugar (like donuts or sugary cereal) you're gonna crash in a
>few hours. Those energy drinks? Ugh. The author further states,
>"According to several experts, sugar is the thing that is making so many
>Americans fat and sick." Gee! Shocking news!
>
>Naturally if you eat foods that aren't laden with sugar you'll feel
>better. That's just common sense. It's like people who reduce their
>sodium intake. If you stop using so much salt when you cook you'll
>certainly notice if prepared food tastes overly salty. It's not rocket
>science.

Most people have minimal knowledge, instincts or even interest when it
comes to nutrition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/11/2014 8:16 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Naturally if you eat foods that aren't laden with sugar you'll feel
>>> better. That's just common sense. It's like people who reduce their
>>> sodium intake. If you stop using so much salt when you cook you'll
>>> certainly notice if prepared food tastes overly salty. It's not
>>> rocket science.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Low carbers have known all of that for decades, nothing new there.
>>
>> Cheri

> I'm not a low carber and I've known about it for decades, too.
>
> Jill

Yes, most people do know. I think the big push now is to get some fat sin
taxes attached to sugary treats. JMO

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 11, 2014 11:52:45 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:55:32 -0400, jmcquown >
>
> wrote:

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...202700552.html

> >> The corn lobby won't like that article.

> >The corn lobby won't pay much attention to it.

> No attention at all, more like. Wishful thinking on my part.
>
> Now, if it was on a major network of some sort, then they would.
>

> >I don't know why sugar or sugar derivatives/substitutes causing problems

> >comes as such a surprise. Obviously the person writing the article

> >never bothered to read ingredients labels. "I lacked enough energy to

> >get me through the day". Well yeah, if you start off with something

> >laden with sugar (like donuts or sugary cereal) you're gonna crash in a

> >few hours. Those energy drinks? Ugh. The author further states,

> >"According to several experts, sugar is the thing that is making so many

> >Americans fat and sick." Gee! Shocking news!

> >Naturally if you eat foods that aren't laden with sugar you'll feel

> >better. That's just common sense. It's like people who reduce their

> >sodium intake. If you stop using so much salt when you cook you'll

> >certainly notice if prepared food tastes overly salty. It's not rocket

> >science.

> Most people have minimal knowledge, instincts or even interest when it
>
> comes to nutrition.

So true. How many people still thing that a calorie is a food group or nutrient?

Best thing that ever got me onto a better diet was reading "Sugar Blues'. Dates, me, I know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:26:55 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Friday, April 11, 2014 11:52:45 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:55:32 -0400, jmcquown >
>>
>> Most people have minimal knowledge, instincts or even interest when it
>>
>> comes to nutrition.

>So true. How many people still thing that a calorie is a food group or nutrient?

Probably quite a lot of people.