Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How many timers in the kitchen do you have?

I've had a digital timer, since from when they became first available. The
first was a small Radio Shack one. Not intended for kitchen use, but it had
a keypad where one could directly enter the time. I've never used one where
I have to rotate up the time. I've always had a keypad. I would have
thought that adding some more buttons wouldn't be that expensive.

Steam from nearby pans did that one in. And now digital timers are so cheap
that I have three in the kitchen, preset to the different times that I use.

This one is on a shelf alongside the microwave, set to three minutes for
tea: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S0SO9M

Then two of these are attached to the exhaust hood (sans strings):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S4U7

One set to 30 minutes, the time for my Actifry -- the *best* for roasting
root vegetables -- and the time I give the leg of lamb at 450F at the start
of its cooking (in a convection oven). This timer I pull off and take with
me.

The other for steamed vegetables, which does vary sometimes, depending on
how much I'm steaming. Or I leave it at a longer time, and just stop early.

Do others have multiple timers with preset times? And does anyone like the
ones you have to rotate to the time?

Don. www.BigSpud.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 12:28:35 PM UTC-5, Don Wiss wrote:

> Do others have multiple timers with preset times? And does anyone like the
> ones you have to rotate to the time?

We have a timer set to 35 minutes for the laundry, and one set to 20 minutes
for rice. They both have just an increment button, which makes me crazy.
We have another timer with a numeric keypad that I use for most other
things. I consider the numeric keypad vital.

We have an egg-shaped timer that you have to rotate. It sits in the living
room to time my husband's nightly sessions with ice packs. It used to
be in the kitchen, but I never used it; he bought it and he used it.

They're all digital. A ticking timer would drive us crazy.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/12/2020 17:28, Don Wiss wrote:

> Then two of these are attached to the exhaust hood (sans strings):
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S4U7

I have a few of those, but only one is permanently stuck to the
backsplash. The others come out when I'm juggling multiple items, but
that hasn't happened since the first lockdown in March.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2020 12:28 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
> I've had a digital timer, since from when they became first available.

I have a built-in timer on the ancient 1987 stove which I don't use. I
have an ancient 1 hour timer I carry from room to room if I need to set
a time for 20 minutes or up to an hour. Other than that, I don't really
think about kitchen timers.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>We have a timer set to 35 minutes for the laundry,

My laundry is on the third floor, where my office is. I can hear the
machines buzz. But that's a good use for a timer for those with the laundry
far away.

> They both have just an increment button, which makes me crazy.
>We have another timer with a numeric keypad that I use for most other
>things. I consider the numeric keypad vital.

Yes! So why when one goes to Amazon, and searches for digital kitchen
timer, does one find so few with keypads? I see an Oxo that lets you save
three preset times. But it is counter use only. It would get in the way.
Better to attach to the range hood.

Another listed is the XREXS Digital Kitchen Timer. I have one of those in
my office. Right now it is just in case I need one. Sure my phone could do
it, but it's a lot harder to unlock a phone and open the timer app. Which
on my Samsung defaults to rotating to the number!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-12-26 12:28 p.m., Don Wiss wrote:
> I've had a digital timer, since from when they became first available. The
> first was a small Radio Shack one. Not intended for kitchen use, but it had
> a keypad where one could directly enter the time. I've never used one where
> I have to rotate up the time. I've always had a keypad. I would have
> thought that adding some more buttons wouldn't be that expensive.
>
> Steam from nearby pans did that one in. And now digital timers are so cheap
> that I have three in the kitchen, preset to the different times that I use.
>
> This one is on a shelf alongside the microwave, set to three minutes for
> tea: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S0SO9M
>
> Then two of these are attached to the exhaust hood (sans strings):
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S4U7
>
> One set to 30 minutes, the time for my Actifry -- the *best* for roasting
> root vegetables -- and the time I give the leg of lamb at 450F at the start
> of its cooking (in a convection oven). This timer I pull off and take with
> me.
>
> The other for steamed vegetables, which does vary sometimes, depending on
> how much I'm steaming. Or I leave it at a longer time, and just stop early.
>
> Do others have multiple timers with preset times? And does anyone like the
> ones you have to rotate to the time?

I have 4 or 5 times magnetically attached to the side of the fan hood.
None are preset to a particular time for any particular reason. There is
one windup which is reliable enough and which is accurate enough for my
purposes, but it is just not loud enough. I have liked Polder timers.
They are easy to use and nice and loud, but they have short lives. I
have a couple non Polder digital timers, but they are hard to use. For
instance, one of them just won't reset or do much of anything after it
has been used unless you pop out the batteries and put them back in.

I think the best one I ever had was a multi timer from Lee Valley. It
was capable of timing 4 things simultaneously. That one worked out well
for years before it failed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2020 12:28 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
> I've had a digital timer, since from when they became first available. The
> first was a small Radio Shack one. Not intended for kitchen use, but it had
> a keypad where one could directly enter the time. I've never used one where
> I have to rotate up the time. I've always had a keypad. I would have
> thought that adding some more buttons wouldn't be that expensive.
>
> Steam from nearby pans did that one in. And now digital timers are so cheap
> that I have three in the kitchen, preset to the different times that I use.
>
> This one is on a shelf alongside the microwave, set to three minutes for
> tea: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S0SO9M
>
> Then two of these are attached to the exhaust hood (sans strings):
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S4U7
>
> One set to 30 minutes, the time for my Actifry -- the *best* for roasting
> root vegetables -- and the time I give the leg of lamb at 450F at the start
> of its cooking (in a convection oven). This timer I pull off and take with
> me.
>
> The other for steamed vegetables, which does vary sometimes, depending on
> how much I'm steaming. Or I leave it at a longer time, and just stop early.
>
> Do others have multiple timers with preset times? And does anyone like the
> ones you have to rotate to the time?
>
> Don. www.BigSpud.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

When I pour the water for my tea I glance at the clock and take the
infuser out 4 to 5 minutes later. I do the same when boiling eggs but 6
min.

Microwave can be set as a timer but never use it. Probe thermometer can
be set as a timer but never use that function either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2020 2:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have 4 or 5 times magnetically attached to the side of the fan hood.
> None are preset to a particular time for any particular reason.

Yes but unfortunately for some reason you feel the need to tell us
about each and every one of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I have liked Polder timers.
>They are easy to use and nice and loud, but they have short lives.

Just call them. They will send you replacements. Both of mine are
replacements. Both gotten in one call.

The CDN timer that I use to time my tea, has fallen off the shelf, and
eventually it stopped sounding. That is also a replacement, but they made
be pay to send it back first.

Don. http://paleofood.com/ (e-mail at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 14:39:55 -0500, Don Wiss >
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Dec 2020, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
>>We have a timer set to 35 minutes for the laundry,

>My laundry is on the third floor, where my office is. I can hear the
>machines buzz. But that's a good use for a timer for those with the laundry
>far away.
>
>> They both have just an increment button, which makes me crazy.
>>We have another timer with a numeric keypad that I use for most other
>>things. I consider the numeric keypad vital.

>Yes! So why when one goes to Amazon, and searches for digital kitchen
>timer, does one find so few with keypads? I see an Oxo that lets you save
>three preset times. But it is counter use only. It would get in the way.
>Better to attach to the range hood.
>
>Another listed is the XREXS Digital Kitchen Timer. I have one of those in
>my office. Right now it is just in case I need one. Sure my phone could do
>it, but it's a lot harder to unlock a phone and open the timer app. Which
>on my Samsung defaults to rotating to the number!!
>
>Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

The only timers I may use are incorporated in my stove and microwave
oven... and those are only a guestimate, as are all timers, I rely
more on thermometers, I mostly rely on my Instaread. Yesterday I
cooked a half ham. Following the timing directions on the packaging
would have been a fail, a full hour off, Instaread saved the day.
Anyway the ham is very good. And I'll have a meaty bone for pea soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 7:28:35 AM UTC-10, Don Wiss wrote:
> I've had a digital timer, since from when they became first available. The
> first was a small Radio Shack one. Not intended for kitchen use, but it had
> a keypad where one could directly enter the time. I've never used one where
> I have to rotate up the time. I've always had a keypad. I would have
> thought that adding some more buttons wouldn't be that expensive.
>
> Steam from nearby pans did that one in. And now digital timers are so cheap
> that I have three in the kitchen, preset to the different times that I use.
>
> This one is on a shelf alongside the microwave, set to three minutes for
> tea: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S0SO9M
>
> Then two of these are attached to the exhaust hood (sans strings):
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S4U7
>
> One set to 30 minutes, the time for my Actifry -- the *best* for roasting
> root vegetables -- and the time I give the leg of lamb at 450F at the start
> of its cooking (in a convection oven). This timer I pull off and take with
> me.
>
> The other for steamed vegetables, which does vary sometimes, depending on
> how much I'm steaming. Or I leave it at a longer time, and just stop early.
>
> Do others have multiple timers with preset times? And does anyone like the
> ones you have to rotate to the time?
>
> Don. www.BigSpud.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I use my cell phone for a timer. If I'm cooking up noodles, and standing at the stove, I'll use the timer on my microwave. A package of Korean noodles will typically cook in 3 minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Don Wiss wrote:

> I've had a digital timer, since from when they became first
> available. The first was a small Radio Shack one. Not intended for
> kitchen use, but it had a keypad where one could directly enter the
> time. I've never used one where I have to rotate up the time. I've
> always had a keypad. I would have thought that adding some more
> buttons wouldn't be that expensive.
>
> Steam from nearby pans did that one in. And now digital timers are so
> cheap that I have three in the kitchen, preset to the different times
> that I use.
>
> This one is on a shelf alongside the microwave, set to three minutes
> for tea: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S0SO9M
>
> Then two of these are attached to the exhaust hood (sans strings):
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S4U7
>
> One set to 30 minutes, the time for my Actifry -- the best for
> roasting root vegetables -- and the time I give the leg of lamb at
> 450F at the start of its cooking (in a convection oven). This timer I
> pull off and take with me.
>
> The other for steamed vegetables, which does vary sometimes,
> depending on how much I'm steaming. Or I leave it at a longer time,
> and just stop early.
>
> Do others have multiple timers with preset times? And does anyone
> like the ones you have to rotate to the time?
>
> Don. www.BigSpud.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I have the one on the stove front, and a manual. The manual travels
with me if I will be out of hearing distance from the stove one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020, Sheldon Martin > wrote:

> I rely
>more on thermometers, I mostly rely on my Instaread. Yesterday I
>cooked a half ham. Following the timing directions on the packaging
>would have been a fail, a full hour off, Instaread saved the day.

I remember when I tried timing legs of lamb (in a regular oven). The
guidelines, so much per pound, are for a middle size. If smaller, than too
much. If larger, than not enough. The only way to roast meat is with a
thermometer. And with my office two floors above the kitchen, I use this
ThermaPro wireless: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DAVCP4

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> There is one windup which is reliable enough and which is accurate
> enough for my purposes, but it is just not loud enough.

Well, you need to order a Hawaiian hearing aide from dsi1. He
claims to sell some really cheap ass models ... cheap enough even
for a canadian.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/26/2020 2:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I have 4 or 5 times magnetically attached to the side of the fan
>> hood. None are preset to a particular time for any particular
>> reason.
> >

> Yes but unfortunately for some reason you feel the need to tell us
> about each and every one of them.

That's not too much of a problem, but it does attract a certain
nasty dutch butt sniffer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 Don Wiss wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Dec 2020, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> I rely
>>more on thermometers, I mostly rely on my Instaread. Yesterday I
>>cooked a half ham. Following the timing directions on the packaging
>>would have been a fail, a full hour off, Instaread saved the day.

>I remember when I tried timing legs of lamb (in a regular oven). The
>guidelines, so much per pound, are for a middle size. If smaller, than too
>much. If larger, than not enough. The only way to roast meat is with a
>thermometer. And with my office two floors above the kitchen, I use this
>ThermaPro wireless: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DAVCP4
>
>Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I never follow the package instructions for how long to cook, my half
ham would have been way undercooked. I added 30 minutes twice. Turned
out very well. Had I followed their instructions I'd probably become
sick. What's wrong with the meat producers?
the instructions actually say you don't need to cook it and can eat it
cold, BULLSHIT. I cooked it to an internal temperature of 140
degrees, they said 130º, nonsence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2020 8:21 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> I never follow the package instructions for how long to cook, my half
> ham would have been way undercooked. I added 30 minutes twice. Turned
> out very well. Had I followed their instructions I'd probably become
> sick. What's wrong with the meat producers?
> the instructions actually say you don't need to cook it and can eat it
> cold, BULLSHIT. I cooked it to an internal temperature of 140
> degrees, they said 130º, nonsence.

Fresh ham or cured and pre-cooked? I've eaten them cold and 140 is fine
to "bake" it. It will go up in temperature while sitting anyway. All
you are doing is reheating, not cooking it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/26/2020 12:28 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
>> I've had a digital timer, since from when they became first
>> available. The
>> first was a small Radio Shack one. Not intended for kitchen use,
>> but it had
>> a keypad where one could directly enter the time. I've never used
>> one where
>> I have to rotate up the time. I've always had a keypad. I would have
>> thought that adding some more buttons wouldn't be that expensive.
>>
>> Steam from nearby pans did that one in. And now digital timers
>> are so cheap
>> that I have three in the kitchen, preset to the different times
>> that I use.
>>
>> This one is on a shelf alongside the microwave, set to three
>> minutes for
>> tea: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S0SO9M
>>
>> Then two of these are attached to the exhaust hood (sans strings):
>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S4U7
>>
>> One set to 30 minutes, the time for my Actifry -- the *best* for
>> roasting
>> root vegetables -- and the time I give the leg of lamb at 450F at
>> the start
>> of its cooking (in a convection oven). This timer I pull off and
>> take with
>> me.
>>
>> The other for steamed vegetables, which does vary sometimes,
>> depending on
>> how much I'm steaming. Or I leave it at a longer time, and just
>> stop early.
>>
>> Do others have multiple timers with preset times? And does anyone
>> like the
>> ones you have to rotate to the time?
>>
>> Don. www.BigSpud.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
>>

> When I pour the water for my tea I glance at the clock and take the
> infuser out 4 to 5 minutes later. I do the same when boiling eggs
> but 6 min.

Hell Ed, most of us forget we even made tea after 2 to 3 minutes!

But, seriously, I want to buy the finest timer on the planet.

I'm going to wait for Popeye to chime in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> Yesterday I cooked a half ham.

Popeye, did yoose trow the other half out yoose window?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/26/2020 8:21 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>

>> I never follow the package instructions for how long to cook, my
>> half
>> ham would have been way undercooked.* I added 30 minutes twice.
>> Turned
>> out very well.* Had I followed their instructions I'd probably
>> become
>> sick.* What's wrong with the meat producers?
>> the instructions actually say you don't need to cook it and can
>> eat it
>> cold, BULLSHIT.** I cooked it to an internal temperature of 140
>> degrees, they said 130º, nonsence.
>>

> Fresh ham or cured and pre-cooked?* I've eaten them cold and 140 is
> fine to "bake" it.* It will go up in temperature while sitting
> anyway.* All you are doing is reheating, not cooking it.

Isn't Popeye jewish? I think they have to incinerate pork unless it
comes from a kosher deli.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Dec 26, , dsi1 wrote
(in >):

> I use my cell phone for a timer. If I'm cooking up noodles, and standing at
> the stove, I'll use the timer on my microwave. A package of Korean noodles
> will typically cook in 3 minutes.

I use my watch as a timer. I bring it up toward my face and say "set a
timer for x minutes and y seconds". The watch says "ok, I set a timer for
x minutes and y seconds". After x minutes and y seconds, the watch lightly
squeezes my wristband which squeezes my wrist and the watch dings faintly.
Then, it´s up to me. I sometimes say x hours, y minutes and z seconds.
I´ve never tried setting multiple timers on it. I´m a one-at-a-time kind
of guy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 8:50:50 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Dec 26, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
> > I use my cell phone for a timer. If I'm cooking up noodles, and standing at
> > the stove, I'll use the timer on my microwave. A package of Korean noodles
> > will typically cook in 3 minutes.

> I use my watch as a timer. I bring it up toward my face and say "set a
> timer for x minutes and y seconds". The watch says "ok, I set a timer for
> x minutes and y seconds". After x minutes and y seconds, the watch lightly
> squeezes my wristband which squeezes my wrist and the watch dings faintly..
> Then, it´s up to me. I sometimes say x hours, y minutes and z seconds.
> I´ve never tried setting multiple timers on it. I´m a one-at-a-time kind
> of guy.

I got a smart phone and you got a smart watch. Smart is a good thing. I wish that timers would play a little ditty while you're waiting to make the time go faster. Here's my favorite song to make ramen. I think it's called "3 min."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiNhk7_j4OU
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

>I wish that timers would play a little ditty while you're waiting to make the time go faster.
> Here's my favorite song to make ramen. I think it's called "3 min."
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiNhk7_j4OU

Back when I ran long distance, I would also have to do other exercises
to balance the muscles. The very worst and most boring exercise was to
do 50 or so pushups every few days. (Please kill me now!)

Then I discovered a song to listen to while I did them. It was Bruce
Springsteens, "Born in the USA." The perfect tempo and timing.
I would start that song, then drop down and start the pushups.
The pushups were still annoying but the song helped...played loudly too.

My motto then was, "strength through disipline."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have 3 digital kitchen times,none of them preset. We have three
because my husband had to keep buying louder ones :-} and I think he can
only hear one of them now. But I find it very handy to use three when
cooking three different things or to take with me around the house or
garden.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 08:30:36 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>>I wish that timers would play a little ditty while you're waiting to make the time go faster.
>> Here's my favorite song to make ramen. I think it's called "3 min."
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiNhk7_j4OU

>Back when I ran long distance, I would also have to do other exercises
>to balance the muscles. The very worst and most boring exercise was to
>do 50 or so pushups every few days. (Please kill me now!)
>
>Then I discovered a song to listen to while I did them. It was Bruce
>Springsteens, "Born in the USA." The perfect tempo and timing.
>I would start that song, then drop down and start the pushups.
>The pushups were still annoying but the song helped...played loudly too.
>
>My motto then was, "strength through disipline."

I thought it was "Spelling is my forte."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 1:38:24 PM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 08:30:36 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >dsi1 wrote:
> >
> >>I wish that timers would play a little ditty while you're waiting to make the time go faster.
> >> Here's my favorite song to make ramen. I think it's called "3 min."
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiNhk7_j4OU

> >Back when I ran long distance, I would also have to do other exercises
> >to balance the muscles. The very worst and most boring exercise was to
> >do 50 or so pushups every few days. (Please kill me now!)
> >
> >Then I discovered a song to listen to while I did them. It was Bruce
> >Springsteens, "Born in the USA." The perfect tempo and timing.
> >I would start that song, then drop down and start the pushups.
> >The pushups were still annoying but the song helped...played loudly too.
> >
> >My motto then was, "strength through disipline."

> I thought it was "Spelling is my forte."

Sure. But you have to pronounce it "for-tay".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 3:30:43 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> >I wish that timers would play a little ditty while you're waiting to make the time go faster.
> > Here's my favorite song to make ramen. I think it's called "3 min."
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiNhk7_j4OU

> Back when I ran long distance, I would also have to do other exercises
> to balance the muscles. The very worst and most boring exercise was to
> do 50 or so pushups every few days. (Please kill me now!)
>
> Then I discovered a song to listen to while I did them. It was Bruce
> Springsteens, "Born in the USA." The perfect tempo and timing.
> I would start that song, then drop down and start the pushups.
> The pushups were still annoying but the song helped...played loudly too.
>
> My motto then was, "strength through disipline."

Music has the ability to compress or expand time. It's quite an amazing thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 10:42:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 1:38:24 PM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:

>> >Back when I ran long distance, I would also have to do other exercises
>> >to balance the muscles. The very worst and most boring exercise was to
>> >do 50 or so pushups every few days. (Please kill me now!)
>> >
>> >Then I discovered a song to listen to while I did them. It was Bruce
>> >Springsteens, "Born in the USA." The perfect tempo and timing.
>> >I would start that song, then drop down and start the pushups.
>> >The pushups were still annoying but the song helped...played loudly too.
>> >
>> >My motto then was, "strength through disipline."

>> I thought it was "Spelling is my forte."

>Sure. But you have to pronounce it "for-tay".

Yes, you don't want to sound like "Spelling is my forty."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 10:42:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 1:38:24 PM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:

>> >Back when I ran long distance, I would also have to do other exercises
>> >to balance the muscles. The very worst and most boring exercise was to
>> >do 50 or so pushups every few days. (Please kill me now!)
>> >
>> >Then I discovered a song to listen to while I did them. It was Bruce
>> >Springsteens, "Born in the USA." The perfect tempo and timing.
>> >I would start that song, then drop down and start the pushups.
>> >The pushups were still annoying but the song helped...played loudly too.
>> >
>> >My motto then was, "strength through disipline."

>> I thought it was "Spelling is my forte."

>Sure. But you have to pronounce it "for-tay".
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The correct pronunciation is fort... only
uneducated imbeciles say fortay... the forte is the strong portion of
a sword.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 17:58:40 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 10:42:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>> I thought it was "Spelling is my forte."

>>Sure. But you have to pronounce it "for-tay".
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>The correct pronunciation is fort... only
>uneducated imbeciles say fortay... the forte is the strong portion of
>a sword.

Look he
<https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forte>

fortay or fort

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 6:09:43 PM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 17:58:40 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 10:42:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >>Sure. But you have to pronounce it "for-tay".
> >>
> >>Cindy Hamilton

> >The correct pronunciation is fort... only
> >uneducated imbeciles say fortay... the forte is the strong portion of
> >a sword.

> Look he
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forte>
>
> fortay or fort

I do "Alexa, set timer 22 minutes"
Everything else has a timer but AI is winning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2020 5:58 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> I thought it was "Spelling is my forte."

>> Sure. But you have to pronounce it "for-tay".
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> The correct pronunciation is fort... only
> uneducated imbeciles say fortay... the forte is the strong portion of
> a sword.

You tell 'em. This uneducated imbeciles at Merriam-Webster don't know
how to say it.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forte

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Fort%C3%A9

These guys have three ways of saying it
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/forte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bHk...annel=WordsRUs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2020 6:09 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 17:58:40 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 10:42:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Sure. But you have to pronounce it "for-tay".
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> The correct pronunciation is fort... only
>> uneducated imbeciles say fortay... the forte is the strong portion of
>> a sword.

> Look he
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forte>
>
> fortay or fort

Multilingual:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNId...Pronunciations
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 19:22:43 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 12/27/2020 6:09 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 17:58:40 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 10:42:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> The correct pronunciation is fort... only
>>> uneducated imbeciles say fortay... the forte is the strong portion of
>>> a sword.

>> Look he
>> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forte>
>>
>> fortay or fort
>>

>Multilingual:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNId...Pronunciations

Sheldon will say that all 4 are uneducated imbeciles
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 6:09:43 PM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 17:58:40 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 10:42:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >>Sure. But you have to pronounce it "for-tay".
> >>
> >>Cindy Hamilton

> >The correct pronunciation is fort... only
> >uneducated imbeciles say fortay... the forte is the strong portion of
> >a sword.

> Look he
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forte>
>
> fortay or fort

Depends whether Merriam-Webster is descriptive or prescriptive.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 02:46:11 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 6:09:43 PM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 17:58:40 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
>> wrote:

>> >The correct pronunciation is fort... only
>> >uneducated imbeciles say fortay... the forte is the strong portion of
>> >a sword.

>> Look he
>> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forte>
>>
>> fortay or fort

>Depends whether Merriam-Webster is descriptive or prescriptive.

Descriptive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 28, 2020 at 5:50:29 AM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 02:46:11 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 6:09:43 PM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:

> >> Look he
> >> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forte>
> >>
> >> fortay or fort

> >Depends whether Merriam-Webster is descriptive or prescriptive.

> Descriptive.

Now it's down to whether you think pronunciation is by majority rule.

Should the majority of imbeciles decide how it should be pronounced,
or should we use the French-ish pronunciation, since it's a French word?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2020 4:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/27/2020 6:09 PM, Master Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 17:58:40 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 10:42:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> The correct pronunciation is fort... only
>>> uneducated imbeciles say fortay... the forte is the strong portion of
>>> a sword.

>> Look he
>> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forte>
>>
>> fortay or fort
>>

> Multilingual:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNId...Pronunciations

But that doesn't say which meaning of forte. It is pronounced
differently for different meanings. Strong suit: it is properly
pronounced fort.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2020 3:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, December 28, 2020 at 5:50:29 AM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 02:46:11 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Depends whether Merriam-Webster is descriptive or prescriptive.

>> Descriptive.

> Now it's down to whether you think pronunciation is by majority rule.
>
> Should the majority of imbeciles decide how it should be pronounced,
> or should we use the French-ish pronunciation, since it's a French word?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

irregardless . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 28, 2020 at 7:39:58 AM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 12/27/2020 4:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 12/27/2020 6:09 PM, Master Bruce wrote:

> >> Look he
> >> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forte>
> >>
> >> fortay or fort
> >>

> > Multilingual:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNId...Pronunciations
> >

> But that doesn't say which meaning of forte. It is pronounced
> differently for different meanings. Strong suit: it is properly
> pronounced fort.

True. A musician using the Italian word that's spelled the same would
say it _is_ pronounced for-tay, and be correct.

Cindy Hamilton

Kitchen Timers gtr General Cooking 56 08-10-2015 06:20 PM
Fifty turkey timers Bryan-TGWWW General Cooking 7 01-05-2015 06:21 AM
Old timers out there? [email protected] General Cooking 23 31-01-2010 11:33 PM
OT - Another Goody For The Old-timers Dimitri General Cooking 111 01-05-2007 12:48 AM
Weekend survey on the RFC site: Kitchen/Cooking timers Chatty Cathy General Cooking 51 17-04-2007 07:38 PM