Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Default Do I need a stand mixer?

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 17:46:50 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> >> I have a old Kenwood "stand-mixer". Use it so seldom, jes bought a
> >> electric "hand-mixer" (don't buy a Walmart Manstays (Chinese cheapo)
> >> mixer). Haven't tried bread, yet.

> >Kenwood is a sound equipment company (you mean Kenmoore) and
> >"Manstays" is *Mainstays*, which is a Target brand (not Walmart).
> >
> >Damn, you're getting old.
> >
> >-sw

> I owned a Kenwood mixer for years. In fact, my current stand mixer is
> based on the Kenwood model and all my old Kenwood attachments- juicer,
> grain mill, sausage thingee- all work with it. In fact, that is why I
> bought the current one.
>
> The Brit brand was sold off some years ago to DeLonghi in the US.
> Death knell, as far as I was concerned. I have not followed to see
> what's happened with the brand for many, many years.

Per Wiki, "made in China since 2002"...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 16:53:09 -0700, Graham > wrote:

>>> I have a old Kenwood "stand-mixer". Use it so seldom, jes bought a
>>> electric "hand-mixer" (don't buy a Walmart Manstays (Chinese cheapo)
>>> mixer). Haven't tried bread, yet.

>> Kenwood is a sound equipment company (you mean Kenmoore) and
>> "Manstays" is *Mainstays*, which is a Target brand (not Walmart).
>>
>> Damn, you're getting old.
>>
>> -sw

>NO! A Kenwood is a revered British stand mixer that has been around for
>many decades!!! It has nothing to do with the audio company.

I'll second that, my Kenwood is 51 years old and still going strong.
True, it is more noisy now than when it was new, but I don't think I
will ever need to replace it. Perhaps I should have my grandson take
it apart and oil it or something, or maybe it's best to leave it
alone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>> I have a old Kenwood "stand-mixer". Use it so seldom, jes bought a
>> electric "hand-mixer" (don't buy a Walmart Manstays (Chinese cheapo)
>> mixer). Haven't tried bread, yet.

> Kenwood is a sound equipment company (you mean Kenmoore) and
> "Manstays" is *Mainstays*, which is a Target brand (not Walmart).
>
> Damn, you're getting old.
>
> -sw

Mainstays
Mainstays is a brand marketed by Walmart for its lower-priced lines
of bedding, kitchen utensils, ready-to-assemble furniture, and home
decor.

See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ands#Mainstays

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 20:52:12 -0400, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 16:53:09 -0700, Graham > wrote:

>>> Kenwood is a sound equipment company (you mean Kenmoore) and
>>> "Manstays" is *Mainstays*, which is a Target brand (not Walmart).
>>>
>>> Damn, you're getting old.
>>>
>>> -sw

>>NO! A Kenwood is a revered British stand mixer that has been around for
>>many decades!!! It has nothing to do with the audio company.

> I'll second that, my Kenwood is 51 years old and still going strong.
> True, it is more noisy now than when it was new, but I don't think I
> will ever need to replace it. Perhaps I should have my grandson take
> it apart and oil it or something, or maybe it's best to leave it
> alone.

Mine is of similar vintage and the speed control is faulty. The capacitors
have dried out and need replacing.
When running perfectly, the Kenwood is much more pwerful than the KA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 17:46:50 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

>>> I have a old Kenwood "stand-mixer". Use it so seldom, jes bought a
>>> electric "hand-mixer" (don't buy a Walmart Manstays (Chinese cheapo)
>>> mixer). Haven't tried bread, yet.

>> Kenwood is a sound equipment company (you mean Kenmoore) and
>> "Manstays" is *Mainstays*, which is a Target brand (not Walmart).
>>
>> Damn, you're getting old.
>>
>> -sw

> I owned a Kenwood mixer for years. In fact, my current stand mixer is
> based on the Kenwood model and all my old Kenwood attachments- juicer,
> grain mill, sausage thingee- all work with it. In fact, that is why I
> bought the current one.
>
> The Brit brand was sold off some years ago to DeLonghi in the US.
> Death knell, as far as I was concerned. I have not followed to see
> what's happened with the brand for many, many years.

delonghi is an Italian appliance company.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-12-28 5:50 p.m., GM wrote:
> Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 17:46:50 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> Kenwood is a sound equipment company (you mean Kenmoore) and
>>> "Manstays" is *Mainstays*, which is a Target brand (not Walmart).
>>>
>>> Damn, you're getting old.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I owned a Kenwood mixer for years. In fact, my current stand mixer is
>> based on the Kenwood model and all my old Kenwood attachments- juicer,
>> grain mill, sausage thingee- all work with it. In fact, that is why I
>> bought the current one.
>>
>> The Brit brand was sold off some years ago to DeLonghi in the US.
>> Death knell, as far as I was concerned. I have not followed to see
>> what's happened with the brand for many, many years.

> Per Wiki, "made in China since 2002"...

4 or 5 years ago, Kenwood brought out a new version of the iconic mixer.
The slogan on the box: "Proudly engineered in Great Britain." In small
print: Made in China!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 18:48:36 -0700, Graham > wrote:

>On 2020-12-28 5:50 p.m., GM wrote:
>> Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> I owned a Kenwood mixer for years. In fact, my current stand mixer is
>>> based on the Kenwood model and all my old Kenwood attachments- juicer,
>>> grain mill, sausage thingee- all work with it. In fact, that is why I
>>> bought the current one.
>>>
>>> The Brit brand was sold off some years ago to DeLonghi in the US.
>>> Death knell, as far as I was concerned. I have not followed to see
>>> what's happened with the brand for many, many years.

>> Per Wiki, "made in China since 2002"...
>>

>4 or 5 years ago, Kenwood brought out a new version of the iconic mixer.
>The slogan on the box: "Proudly engineered in Great Britain." In small
>print: Made in China!

As long as they made it to EU/US/AU/NZ/JA specs and not CH specs, it
should be ok?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 19:47:16 -0600, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 17:46:50 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> Kenwood is a sound equipment company (you mean Kenmoore) and
>>> "Manstays" is *Mainstays*, which is a Target brand (not Walmart).
>>>
>>> Damn, you're getting old.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I owned a Kenwood mixer for years. In fact, my current stand mixer is
>> based on the Kenwood model and all my old Kenwood attachments- juicer,
>> grain mill, sausage thingee- all work with it. In fact, that is why I
>> bought the current one.
>>
>> The Brit brand was sold off some years ago to DeLonghi in the US.
>> Death knell, as far as I was concerned. I have not followed to see
>> what's happened with the brand for many, many years.
>>

>delonghi is an Italian appliance company.

DeLonghi has been around forever, but its buying Kenwood for the US
market years ago had nothing to do with their own home country.

And the DeLonghi branded products in the US are second tier at best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 18:48:36 -0700, Graham > wrote:

>On 2020-12-28 5:50 p.m., GM wrote:
>> Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> I owned a Kenwood mixer for years. In fact, my current stand mixer is
>>> based on the Kenwood model and all my old Kenwood attachments- juicer,
>>> grain mill, sausage thingee- all work with it. In fact, that is why I
>>> bought the current one.
>>>
>>> The Brit brand was sold off some years ago to DeLonghi in the US.
>>> Death knell, as far as I was concerned. I have not followed to see
>>> what's happened with the brand for many, many years.

>> Per Wiki, "made in China since 2002"...
>>

>4 or 5 years ago, Kenwood brought out a new version of the iconic mixer.
>The slogan on the box: "Proudly engineered in Great Britain." In small
>print: Made in China!

I bought my original Kenwood in 1993, I think. Only reason I passed it
on to one of the kids is because I got the (then branded) Electrolux,
which was much larger. Once the kids fledged, I needed a smaller mixer
again and there were no UK made Kenwoods around, so I settled for the
pro HamBeach I got as at least I saved those packed away attachments
that the kids never wanted.

I did try a top of the line KA...I tolerated it for about 2 months,
then gave it to one of the other kids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 20:59:02 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 18:48:36 -0700, Graham > wrote:

>>> Per Wiki, "made in China since 2002"...
>>>

>>4 or 5 years ago, Kenwood brought out a new version of the iconic mixer.
>>The slogan on the box: "Proudly engineered in Great Britain." In small
>>print: Made in China!

> I bought my original Kenwood in 1993, I think. Only reason I passed it
> on to one of the kids is because I got the (then branded) Electrolux,
> which was much larger. Once the kids fledged, I needed a smaller mixer
> again and there were no UK made Kenwoods around, so I settled for the
> pro HamBeach I got as at least I saved those packed away attachments
> that the kids never wanted.
>
> I did try a top of the line KA...I tolerated it for about 2 months,
> then gave it to one of the other kids.

When my then wife and I left Australia, we sold our 240volt Kenwood to a
friend. We managed to buy a second-hand 110volt one in Calgary that worked
fine for many years until the slower speeds failed and it will now only
operate at fairly high speeds. I kept it and the attachments on divorce (my
ex is a lousy cook) that include a mincer, coffee grinder and cream maker!
The latter reconstitutes US butter and milk into a thick cream. Only the
mincer gets used now.
I suppose I ought to renovate it as I have time on my hands and capacitor
kits are available from the UK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/12/2020 23:53, Graham wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 17:46:50 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On 22 Dec 2020 18:06:50 GMT, notbob wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a old Kenwood "stand-mixer". Use it so seldom, jes bought a
>>> electric "hand-mixer" (don't buy a Walmart Manstays (Chinese cheapo)
>>> mixer). Haven't tried bread, yet.

>> Kenwood is a sound equipment company (you mean Kenmoore) and
>> "Manstays" is *Mainstays*, which is a Target brand (not Walmart).
>>

> NO! A Kenwood is a revered British stand mixer that has been around for
> many decades!!! It has nothing to do with the audio company.

Yup. I used my Kenwood yesterday to make bread dough. I have a number of
attachments for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/12/2020 01:52, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 18:48:36 -0700, Graham > wrote:
>> 4 or 5 years ago, Kenwood brought out a new version of the iconic mixer.
>> The slogan on the box: "Proudly engineered in Great Britain." In small
>> print: Made in China!

> As long as they made it to EU/US/AU/NZ/JA specs and not CH specs, it
> should be ok?

I bought my Kenwood specifically to support British industry.
The KitchenAid I use in the US, was bought to support US industry.
Of course, if they had been crappy products, and the only decent mixers
available were Chinese-made, I would have regretfully purchased a
Chinese one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 19:10:44 -0700, Graham > wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 20:59:02 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:
>

>> I did try a top of the line KA...I tolerated it for about 2 months,
>> then gave it to one of the other kids.

>When my then wife and I left Australia, we sold our 240volt Kenwood to a
>friend. We managed to buy a second-hand 110volt one in Calgary that worked
>fine for many years until the slower speeds failed and it will now only
>operate at fairly high speeds. I kept it and the attachments on divorce (my
>ex is a lousy cook) that include a mincer, coffee grinder and cream maker!
>The latter reconstitutes US butter and milk into a thick cream. Only the
>mincer gets used now.
>I suppose I ought to renovate it as I have time on my hands and capacitor
>kits are available from the UK.

You've talented hands, Graham, and if you can resurrect that Kenwood,
it'd be a real delight with all the baking you do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

news
wrote:

>> I have a old Kenwood "stand-mixer". Use it so seldom, jes bought a
>> electric "hand-mixer" (don't buy a Walmart Manstays (Chinese cheapo)
>> mixer). Haven't tried bread, yet.

>Kenwood is a sound equipment company (you mean Kenmoore)

https://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-int/...tchen-machines

=====

I've had a Kenwood machine all my adult life which I can assure you is a
LONG time lol

Always been Kenwood. Mine seems bigger than the ones I see in that pic.
But maybe is it just the photo.

It stood me in good stead for our bread for many many years

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 29/12/2020 01:52, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 18:48:36 -0700, Graham > wrote:
>> 4 or 5 years ago, Kenwood brought out a new version of the iconic mixer.
>> The slogan on the box: "Proudly engineered in Great Britain." In small
>> print: Made in China!

> As long as they made it to EU/US/AU/NZ/JA specs and not CH specs, it
> should be ok?

I bought my Kenwood specifically to support British industry.
The KitchenAid I use in the US, was bought to support US industry.
Of course, if they had been crappy products, and the only decent mixers
available were Chinese-made, I would have regretfully purchased a
Chinese one.

==

+1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Dec 29, , Boron Elgar wrote
(in >):

> You've talented hands, Graham, and if you can resurrect that Kenwood,
> it'd be a real delight with all the baking you do.

And not a soul in this thread has mentioned a Sunbeam Mixmaster. That“s
what my Mom used while I was growing up. Even I don“t have one, but I think
of all these eggbeaters as Mixmasters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-12-29 6:28 a.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 19:10:44 -0700, Graham > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 20:59:02 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>

>>> I did try a top of the line KA...I tolerated it for about 2 months,
>>> then gave it to one of the other kids.

>> When my then wife and I left Australia, we sold our 240volt Kenwood to a
>> friend. We managed to buy a second-hand 110volt one in Calgary that worked
>> fine for many years until the slower speeds failed and it will now only
>> operate at fairly high speeds. I kept it and the attachments on divorce (my
>> ex is a lousy cook) that include a mincer, coffee grinder and cream maker!
>> The latter reconstitutes US butter and milk into a thick cream. Only the
>> mincer gets used now.
>> I suppose I ought to renovate it as I have time on my hands and capacitor
>> kits are available from the UK.

> You've talented hands, Graham, and if you can resurrect that Kenwood,
> it'd be a real delight with all the baking you do.

I'm a terrible procrastinator. I've a pair of Kef loudspeakers in the
basement that have needed new crossovers for the last 25 years or so. I
could get them from the UK but haven't got around to it:-)
In my profession, I'm the opposite and have made decisions in minutes
that have affected multi-million dollar drilling programs. Perhaps my
procrastination is in reaction to this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 6:08:04 PM UTC-6, Leo wrote:

> And not a soul in this thread has mentioned a Sunbeam Mixmaster. ThatĀ“s
> what my Mom used while I was growing up. Even I donĀ“t have one, but I think
> of all these eggbeaters as Mixmasters.

My mom had a Hamilton Beach stand mixer and I believe she got it with either
Top Value or S&H green stamps. She was very proud of that thing and very
'protective' of it. She wouldn't let us kids monkey around with it in fear of
breaking either of the included bowls.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 4:27:44 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Dec 29, , wrote
> (in >):
> > My mom had a Hamilton Beach stand mixer and I believe she got it with either
> > Top Value or S&H green stamps. She was very proud of that thing and very
> > 'protective' of it. She wouldn't let us kids monkey around with it in fear of
> > breaking either of the included bowls.

> We had Gold Bell and S&H green stamps out West. I want to say we got three
> bucks for a book of stamps, but it was a long time ago. Mom gave me the
> stamps. I licked `em, booked `em and cashed `em in. She was a good mom,
> and I was an only child

Good mom and an only child. You're a very fortunate guy, I think.

Stand mixer limey Cooking Equipment 4 15-07-2005 01:00 AM
Stand mixer limey General Cooking 3 15-07-2005 12:51 AM
Which KA stand mixer? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 06-07-2005 08:58 PM
Best stand mixer? GingerRose Baking 11 27-07-2004 03:05 PM
Stand Mixer jmk Cooking Equipment 7 14-04-2004 01:28 AM