Old 03-12-2020, 03:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Kitchen Closet shelf rails!

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 7:58:01 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 19:53:27 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:

John Kuthe wrote:

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 11:48:06 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 10:54:41 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
What is 'almost' 1/2" plywood, do you mean some specialty
thickness like 7/16"?
Half-inch plywood is 15/32".

Cindy Hamilton

And that's almost 1/2 inch! 16/32" = 1/2 inch!

John Kuthe...

Yup. It is. Forget the others, if you give a good dimension, I can
tell you (without messing with you like so many do) how to do this
simple.

You are right that a center riser of the wood you said is about right.

Sadly some want you to hire a professional for this simple but
satisfying home job, then positively put you on a rack and try to make
you cry because they watched you spend money.

Exactly.

Exactly x2

Old 03-12-2020, 11:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 8:20:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 4:25:19 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 15:10:01 -0500, Sheldon Martin wrote:

Every stick of
lumber used to build this house was made from trees growing on this
property,

TBS. Total bullshit. For one, you don't know that. And 2, you
don't biuld a modern house from fresh wood unless it's a log cabin.
That wood was harvested, milled, and cured far from your house. And
you have plywood in your walls.

There's no plywood in my 1925 built house, other than the cheesy, half
built wall I put up in the basement, and the kitchen cabinets we had put
in before we moved in and maybe the bar between the kitchen and
dining room, which was probably not original to the house, and the
underlayment to the bathroom floor that we had rebuilt. Everything else
is old fashioned plaster. The basement has drywall because it was
originally completely open floorplan, with exposed joists.

There's nothing wrong with plywood. It's superior where dimensional
stability is required. Custom cabinetmakers use it all the time.

There's some plywood in my 1947 built house. When we gutted the
bathroom we found some previous "handy" person had hacked holes
in the tongue-in-groove subfloor at various locations for plumbing
fixtures that were never installed. It looked like they used an axe.

We cleaned up the holes and patched them with plywood, then covered
the entire floor with 3/4" plywood, then with concrete backer board for tile.
The old floor was a thick bed of mortar. Installing those three new layers
brought the floor up to slightly below the level of the hallway.

My kitchen cabinets are particleboard. The "finest" 1985 cabinetry.
Replacing them is on our "to do" list. The new cabinets will have
plywood carcasses.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 03-12-2020, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 1:10:59 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

I have a couple of guitars with plywood tops and a couple with solid spruce and cedar tops. The trouble with solid top wood guitars is that the tops tend to warp from the pull of the strings over time which can make the guitar unplayable after a few years. Having a guitar that's unplayable is a real drag. The plywood top guitars are dead stable. That's pretty awesome.