Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Super Factories. Heinz beans

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 10:15:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:52:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:

> >> Do you never cook anything just for yourself that you like? Or must it
> >> always be what your husband likes?
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> >It's called C O N T R O L. If she cooks something she likes she's no
> >longer under his thumb and he's lost control. But I'm glad to see
> >someone other than myself has noticed.

> You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
> are like.
>
> It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
> of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
> that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat
>
> ======
>
> LOLOL They obviously don't have a clue about relationships LOL
>
> Perhaps that is the reason they are alone lolol

> https://www.avg.com

I mostly cook for my family. Eating my own cooking is no longer fun. I prefer to eat other people's cooking, not mine. Here's what I made for my wife yesterday - mahimahi and eggs.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...H_3mnYf4c7v0Ho
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 21:15:34 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:52:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>>> Do you never cook anything just for yourself that you like? Or must it
>>> always be what your husband likes?
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>>It's called C O N T R O L. If she cooks something she likes she's no
>>longer under his thumb and he's lost control. But I'm glad to see
>>someone other than myself has noticed.

>You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
>are like.
>
>It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
>of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
>that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat
>
>======
>
> LOLOL They obviously don't have a clue about relationships LOL
>
> Perhaps that is the reason they are alone lolol

Could well be
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 13:42:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 10:15:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>>
>> You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
>> are like.
>>
>> It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
>> of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
>> that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat
>>
>> ======
>>
>> LOLOL They obviously don't have a clue about relationships LOL
>>
>> Perhaps that is the reason they are alone lolol
>>
>> --
>> https://www.avg.com

>I mostly cook for my family. Eating my own cooking is no longer fun. I prefer to eat other people's cooking, not mine. Here's what I made for my wife yesterday - mahimahi and eggs.

That looks nice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 3:03:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
> are like.
>
> It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
> of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
> that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat

And you don't know who lives here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 16:23:08 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 3:03:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
>> are like.
>>
>> It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
>> of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
>> that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat
>>

>And you don't know who lives here.

Your cat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 16:23:08 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 3:03:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
>> are like.
>>
>> It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
>> of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
>> that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat
>>

>And you don't know who lives here.

Gary the wimp dosen't even have a ferret to tell him how to live. LOL
Gary would be much happier living with a ferret.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 16:23:08 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 3:03:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
>>> are like.
>>>
>>> It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
>>> of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
>>> that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat
>>>

>> And you don't know who lives here.

> Your cat?

<*SNIFF*>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 16:23:08 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 3:03:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
>>> are like.
>>>
>>> It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
>>> of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
>>> that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat
>>>

>> And you don't know who lives here.

> Gary the wimp dosen't even have a ferret to tell him how to live. LOL
> Gary would be much happier living with a ferret.

Maybe so Popeye.

I bet yoose would love living with a pineapple boy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 6:41:22 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 16:23:08 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >And you don't know who lives here.

> Your cat?

You'd be surprised.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 17:57:35 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 6:41:22 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 16:23:08 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >And you don't know who lives here.

>> Your cat?
>>

>You'd be surprised.

Gardener?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 8:00:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> Gardener?

Don't have one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 18:15:55 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 8:00:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Gardener?
>>

>Don't have one.

A little deplorable in the back of a cupboard?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 18:15:55 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 8:00:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Gardener?
>>>

>> Don't have one.

> A little deplorable in the back of a cupboard?

Yoose trying to work up another double sniff Druce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 8:37:06 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> A little deplorable in the back of a cupboard?

Nope.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Portuguese sweet breads was Super Factories. Heinz beans

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 10:54:32 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>

> > The Hawaiian sweet rolls are actually based on Portuguese sweet breads
> > which
> > is a sweet, egg bread, similar to brioche. Portuguese sweet bread has
> > always
> > been popular in Hawaii. The way I used to make it was with mashed potato
> > and
> > lemon zest. If you ask me, King's should sell bread in uncut loaves
> > instead
> > of rolls.
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._w7XN9UMo75dt6
> >
> > =====
> >
> > That looks lovely!! Please share your recipe?

> I don't have a recipe. Mostly, I made it up from interviewing old Portuguese
> ladies about how they made sweetbread. They didn't give me recipes either..
> Mostly it was their methods I was interested in. Starting with a boiled
> potato and adding lemon zest were some of the old-school refinements that I
> learned.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYoVIeyqiw
>
> ====
>
> Oh my! That is a lot of work. If I ever made that I would need to use a
> machine!
>
> It is interesting though! Thank you

> https://www.avg.com

I tried out a recipe for Portuguese sweet bread. It was pretty easy because I mixed it up in a bread machine but baked it in the toaster oven. The recipe is a good one. I added a half teaspoon of turmeric to give the color a slight bump. The next time, I'll bake it in the bread machine.

when I went to check out the rise of the dough, there was a great commotion in the living room. The cat was going crazy and there was a loud chirping noise going on. I thought the cat was injured. When I checked, the cat had grabbed my daughter's canary and was trying to dispatch it. That was pretty alarming. The cat was in a frenzy and was quite difficult to grab. He dropped the bird and it looked all broken up. It had fainted but later revived. I can't say if it'll live but that's one lucky bird. I had just come out of the bedroom to check on the bread. If I came out a minute or two later, that would be one dead burd.

https://kitchendreaming.com/portuguese-sweet-bread/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 10:15:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message
>
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:52:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:

> >> Do you never cook anything just for yourself that you like? Or must it
> >> always be what your husband likes?
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> >It's called C O N T R O L. If she cooks something she likes she's no
> >longer under his thumb and he's lost control. But I'm glad to see
> >someone other than myself has noticed.

> You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
> are like.
>
> It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
> of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
> that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat
>
> ======
>
> LOLOL They obviously don't have a clue about relationships LOL
>
> Perhaps that is the reason they are alone lolol

I mostly cook for my family. Eating my own cooking is no longer fun. I
prefer to eat other people's cooking, not mine. Here's what I made for my
wife yesterday - mahimahi and eggs.

https://www.amazon.comnd/photos/shar...H_3mnYf4c7v0Ho

====

I am the same. I would never cook for myself. If I lived alone I would
never cook. The only cooking pleasure I get is cooking for him so why
wouldn't i bother to give him what he likes!!

Really you couldn't make it up!!!

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 9:49:25 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> I am the same. I would never cook for myself. If I lived alone I would
> never cook. The only cooking pleasure I get is cooking for him so why
> wouldn't i bother to give him what he likes!!
>
> Really you couldn't make it up!!!

If you lived alone, what would you do? Subsist on tea and toast?

I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
cooked differently, but I still cooked.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/08/2020 15:14, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
> husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
> cooked differently, but I still cooked.

Due to covid, my husband and I have been on opposite sides of the
Atlantic since the beginning of March. We've both been cooking, although
I did leave him a stack of freezer boxes full of home-made foods.

We did not expect to be apart for this long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> I am the same. I would never cook for myself. If I lived alone I would
> never cook. The only cooking pleasure I get is cooking for him so why
> wouldn't i bother to give him what he likes!!
>
> Really you couldn't make it up!!!

if i cook for myself there is a lot more spices and
heat. i much prefer my own cooking over anything from
take out or pre-processed.

price alone makes it worth doing my own cooking and
also a lot less goes to waste. take out always has a
lot of packaging. if i buy 5lbs of ground meat that
is in one wrapper and i can cook it into chili or some
other recipe and put the results into freezer portions
where there will be no other packaging involved. using
glass those will get reused, lids also will be reused
until they show defects. now all lids and jars can
be recycled in our bins so none of the broken or
defective items go to the landfill.

to me this is very much less expensive but also
making sure i'm not generating a lot of waste.

food scraps from cooking all go to the worm farm and
from the worm farm any results go to the gardens so
that is not wasted and going to a landfill.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 3:49:25 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 10:15:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Bruce" wrote in message
> >
> > On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:52:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> > > wrote:

> > >It's called C O N T R O L. If she cooks something she likes she's no
> > >longer under his thumb and he's lost control. But I'm glad to see
> > >someone other than myself has noticed.

> > You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
> > are like.
> >
> > It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
> > of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
> > that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat
> >
> > ======
> >
> > LOLOL They obviously don't have a clue about relationships LOL
> >
> > Perhaps that is the reason they are alone lolol
> >

> I mostly cook for my family. Eating my own cooking is no longer fun. I
> prefer to eat other people's cooking, not mine. Here's what I made for my
> wife yesterday - mahimahi and eggs.
>
> https://www.amazon.comnd/photos/shar...H_3mnYf4c7v0Ho
>
> ====
>
> I am the same. I would never cook for myself. If I lived alone I would
> never cook. The only cooking pleasure I get is cooking for him so why
> wouldn't i bother to give him what he likes!!
>
> Really you couldn't make it up!!!

> https://www.avg.com

As it goes, I only ever cook for other people. Preparing a meal for myself might consist of opening a can of tuna and eating it out of the can or making a cheese sandwich. Cooking for myself is kind of a drag. I'd rather eat other people's cooking - not mine!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 9:49:25 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> I am the same. I would never cook for myself. If I lived alone I would
> never cook. The only cooking pleasure I get is cooking for him so why
> wouldn't i bother to give him what he likes!!
>
> Really you couldn't make it up!!!

If you lived alone, what would you do? Subsist on tea and toast?

I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
cooked differently, but I still cooked.

Cindy Hamilton

====

Yes, I would probably subsist on something very simple)

When I had family I loved to bake etc) I would never do all that just
for myselfb

I made all our bread etc I get my pleasure to watch their
enjoyment

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 07:14:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 9:49:25 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I am the same. I would never cook for myself. If I lived alone I would
>> never cook. The only cooking pleasure I get is cooking for him so why
>> wouldn't i bother to give him what he likes!!
>>
>> Really you couldn't make it up!!!

>If you lived alone, what would you do? Subsist on tea and toast?
>
>I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
>husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
>cooked differently, but I still cooked.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

There were times when I was single for a year or two at a time but I
still cooked, only differently and often subsisted on left overs same
as we both do now. I still cook enough for six meals, two diners to
eat now and four dinners for the freezer. I keep the freezer well
filled with cooked food... easy to add a salad/veggie to complement a
cooked dish. Sometimes dinner can be cheese, crackers, and fruit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 9:14:26 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 9:49:25 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > I am the same. I would never cook for myself. If I lived alone I would
> > never cook. The only cooking pleasure I get is cooking for him so why
> > wouldn't i bother to give him what he likes!!
> >
> > Really you couldn't make it up!!!

> If you lived alone, what would you do? Subsist on tea and toast?
>
> I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
> husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
> cooked differently, but I still cooked.

My wife likes almost everything I cook, but my son is harder to please. He has made me a better cook. I am perfecting fried chicken. I've got some chicken marinating right now, and about an hour ago, I took out the neck and floured and fried it. This might be my best batch ever. Very simple marinade, just water, sweet paprika, salt, cayenne, Extra Hot chili powder https://www.amazon.com/Swad-Extra-Ho.../dp/B004A0VC2G black pepper, MSG, thyme, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate, and a tiny pinch of sodium tripolyphosphate.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2020 6:12 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 9:41:42 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

>>> It's called C O N T R O L. If she cooks something she likes she's no
>>> longer under his thumb and he's lost control. But I'm glad to see
>>> someone other than myself has noticed.
>>>

>> All I know is she always mentions it's what her husband likes. Nary a
>> word about what she likes. Does she like pizza with Spam and pineapple?
>> (dsi1 brought it up and she hangs on his every word.) If so, why not
>> just say "we" like it?
>>
>> I've never seen her say she cooks anything they both like. It's all
>> about him. She also used to refer to her husband as "himself", which
>> made it sound like he's Lord of the manor and she's the kitchen help.
>>
>> Jill

> Oh, now I've simply _got_ to start referring to my husband as
> "himself".
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL It was disturbing. This is the 21st century, not the turn of the
20th. (To be fair, it bothers me when Dave refers to his wife as
"Megatron", too. It just doesn't sound respectful.)

A few people have mentioned my living alone. That's got nothing to do
with it. When I was married my husband liked canned pork & beans. I
despise them. I served them but I always made sure to cook something
*I* liked, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2020 10:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 9:49:25 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I am the same. I would never cook for myself. If I lived alone I would
>> never cook. The only cooking pleasure I get is cooking for him so why
>> wouldn't i bother to give him what he likes!!
>>
>> Really you couldn't make it up!!!

> If you lived alone, what would you do? Subsist on tea and toast?
>
> I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
> husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
> cooked differently, but I still cooked.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Exactly. Living alone has nothing to do with it. What would she do if
her husband died? Not eat at all?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-08-05 4:59 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/5/2020 6:12 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> All I know is she always mentions it's what her husband likes.Â* Nary a
>>> word about what she likes.Â* Does she like pizza with Spam and pineapple?
>>> (dsi1 brought it up and she hangs on his every word.)Â* If so, why not
>>> just say "we" like it?
>>>
>>> I've never seen her say she cooks anything they both like.Â* It's all
>>> about him.Â* She also used to refer to her husband as "himself", which
>>> made it sound like he's Lord of the manor and she's the kitchen help.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Oh, now I've simply _got_ to start referring to my husband as
>> "himself".
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> LOLÂ* It was disturbing.Â* This is the 21st century, not the turn of the
> 20th.Â* (To be fair, it bothers me when Dave refers to his wife as
> "Megatron", too.Â* It just doesn't sound respectful.)

She can't be too offended by it if she signs birthday cards with it.

> A few people have mentioned my living alone.Â* That's got nothing to do
> with it.Â* When I was married my husband liked canned pork & beans.Â* I
> despise them.Â* I served them but I always made sure to cook something
> *I* liked, too.

I should consider myself lucky that my wife will eat just about
anything. She hates beets and Lima beans and a few other things. I am
indifferent to beets, not at all fond of Lima beans, so I don't bother
cooking them. There are a few things that neither of us cares for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 17:03:08 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/5/2020 10:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 9:49:25 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> I am the same. I would never cook for myself. If I lived alone I would
>>> never cook. The only cooking pleasure I get is cooking for him so why
>>> wouldn't i bother to give him what he likes!!
>>>
>>> Really you couldn't make it up!!!

>> If you lived alone, what would you do? Subsist on tea and toast?
>>
>> I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
>> husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
>> cooked differently, but I still cooked.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Exactly. Living alone has nothing to do with it. What would she do if
>her husband died? Not eat at all?

Ask her. She's here, you old gossiping biddy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 16:59:38 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/5/2020 6:12 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> All I know is she always mentions it's what her husband likes. Nary a
>>> word about what she likes. Does she like pizza with Spam and pineapple?
>>> (dsi1 brought it up and she hangs on his every word.) If so, why not
>>> just say "we" like it?
>>>
>>> I've never seen her say she cooks anything they both like. It's all
>>> about him. She also used to refer to her husband as "himself", which
>>> made it sound like he's Lord of the manor and she's the kitchen help.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Oh, now I've simply _got_ to start referring to my husband as
>> "himself".
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>LOL It was disturbing. This is the 21st century, not the turn of the
>20th. (To be fair, it bothers me when Dave refers to his wife as
>"Megatron", too. It just doesn't sound respectful.)
>
>A few people have mentioned my living alone. That's got nothing to do
>with it. When I was married my husband liked canned pork & beans. I
>despise them. I served them but I always made sure to cook something
>*I* liked, too.

Lightly salted?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2020 5:16 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-08-05 4:59 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> Oh, now I've simply _got_ to start referring to my husband as
>>> "himself".
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> LOLÂ* It was disturbing.Â* This is the 21st century, not the turn of the
>> 20th.Â* (To be fair, it bothers me when Dave refers to his wife as
>> "Megatron", too.Â* It just doesn't sound respectful.)

> She can't be too offended by it if she signs birthday cards with it.

Fair enough.

>> A few people have mentioned my living alone.Â* That's got nothing to do
>> with it.Â* When I was married my husband liked canned pork & beans.Â* I
>> despise them.Â* I served them but I always made sure to cook something
>> *I* liked, too.

> I should consider myself lucky that my wife will eat just about
> anything. She hates beets and Lima beans and a few other things. I am
> indifferent to beets, not at all fond of Lima beans, so I don't bother
> cooking them. There are a few things that neither of us cares for.

Well, you both don't seem to love beets or lima beans so it makes sense
you don't cook things neither of you really don't care for.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2020 10:37 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 05/08/2020 15:14, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
>> husband was away on business for a month or so.Â* I cooked less and I
>> cooked differently, but I still cooked.
>>

> Due to covid, my husband and I have been on opposite sides of the
> Atlantic since the beginning of March. We've both been cooking, although
> I did leave him a stack of freezer boxes full of home-made foods.
>
> We did not expect to be apart for this long.

That's got to be tough. Are you doing video chats by any chance?

You're still both cooking and that's a good thing.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-08-05 5:26 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/5/2020 5:16 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2020-08-05 4:59 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> LOLÂ* It was disturbing.Â* This is the 21st century, not the turn of
>>> the 20th.Â* (To be fair, it bothers me when Dave refers to his wife as
>>> "Megatron", too.Â* It just doesn't sound respectful.)

>> She can't be too offended by it if she signs birthday cards with it.
>>

> Fair enough.

Thank you. If she is not offended by it and actually likes her pet name,
I don't know why anyone else should be offended.

>>> A few people have mentioned my living alone.Â* That's got nothing to
>>> do with it.Â* When I was married my husband liked canned pork &
>>> beans.Â* I despise them.Â* I served them but I always made sure to cook
>>> something *I* liked, too.

>> I should consider myself lucky that my wife will eat just about
>> anything. She hates beets and Lima beans and a few other things. I am
>> indifferent to beets, not at all fond of Lima beans, so I don't bother
>> cooking them. There are a few things that neither of us cares for.
>>

> Well, you both don't seem to love beets or lima beans so it makes sense
> you don't cook things neither of you really don't care for.

I don't dislike beets. I am indifferent to them. If someone serves them
to me I will eat them. If I see Borscht on a menu I am likely to order
it. Tonight she is grilling a corn cob for me. She doesn't like the
carbs in corn so she is not having any. I don't care for liver (and
bacon or onions), so she sometimes orders that in restaurants. She often
has an omelet breakfast. I do not like omelets, so if she is making
breakfast or brunch for me she will fry, scramble or poach eggs.

I wish I could get her excited about rice and beans. It's mainly the
carbs for her. I like them and would like to make them, but I don't
want to have to eat them all myself, and I am not into eating leftovers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 17:39:42 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2020-08-05 5:26 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> She can't be too offended by it if she signs birthday cards with it.
>>>

>> Fair enough.

>Thank you. If she is not offended by it and actually likes her pet name,
>I don't know why anyone else should be offended.

>>> I should consider myself lucky that my wife will eat just about
>>> anything. She hates beets and Lima beans and a few other things. I am
>>> indifferent to beets, not at all fond of Lima beans, so I don't bother
>>> cooking them. There are a few things that neither of us cares for.
>>>

>> Well, you both don't seem to love beets or lima beans so it makes sense
>> you don't cook things neither of you really don't care for.
>>

>I don't dislike beets. I am indifferent to them. If someone serves them
>to me I will eat them. If I see Borscht on a menu I am likely to order
>it. Tonight she is grilling a corn cob for me. She doesn't like the
>carbs in corn so she is not having any. I don't care for liver (and
>bacon or onions), so she sometimes orders that in restaurants. She often
>has an omelet breakfast. I do not like omelets, so if she is making
>breakfast or brunch for me she will fry, scramble or poach eggs.

Stop, my head's spinning!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 17:03:08 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> If you lived alone, what would you do? Subsist on tea and toast?
>>>
>>> I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
>>> husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
>>> cooked differently, but I still cooked.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Exactly. Living alone has nothing to do with it. What would she do if
>> her husband died? Not eat at all?

> Ask her. She's here, you old gossiping biddy!

Thank yoose, butt sniffing dutchman. <Sniff>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 16:59:38 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Oh, now I've simply _got_ to start referring to my husband as
>>> "himself".
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> LOL It was disturbing. This is the 21st century, not the turn of the
>> 20th. (To be fair, it bothers me when Dave refers to his wife as
>> "Megatron", too. It just doesn't sound respectful.)
>>
>> A few people have mentioned my living alone. That's got nothing to do
>> with it. When I was married my husband liked canned pork & beans. I
>> despise them. I served them but I always made sure to cook something
>> *I* liked, too.

> Lightly salted?

Lightly sniffed?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2020 5:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-08-05 5:26 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> She can't be too offended by it if she signs birthday cards with it.
>>>

>> Fair enough.

> Thank you. If she is not offended by it and actually likes her pet name,
> I don't know why anyone else should be offended.

>>> I should consider myself lucky that my wife will eat just about
>>> anything. She hates beets and Lima beans and a few other things. I am
>>> indifferent to beets, not at all fond of Lima beans, so I don't
>>> bother cooking them. There are a few things that neither of us cares
>>> for.
>>>

>> Well, you both don't seem to love beets or lima beans so it makes
>> sense you don't cook things neither of you really don't care for.
>>

> I don't dislike beets. I am indifferent to them. If someone serves them
> to me I will eat them. If I see Borscht on a menu I am likely toÂ* order
> it.

If I was indifferent to beets and saw Borscht on the menu I'd be likely
to ask if there is another soup. LOL The only beets I've ever tasted
were canned things my parents liked. We had to try them, at least once.
Then thankfully never again. It left a lasting negative impression.
Mom used to hide turnips in stew, too. Trying to disguise them as
potatoes. LOL

Sorry, just can't jump on board. I don't like carrots or turnips,
either. My parents used to make a dish using a combination of cooked
diced carrots and turnips. <shudder>

> Tonight she is grilling a corn cob for me. She doesn't like the
> carbs in corn so she is not having any.Â* I don't care for liver (and
> bacon or onions), so she sometimes orders that in restaurants. She often
> has an omelet breakfast. I do not like omelets, so if she is making
> breakfast or brunch for me she will fry, scramble or poach eggs.

From what you're saying it sounds like you're both free to eat and cook
whatever you want, even if it's not necessarily the same thing.

> I wish I could get her excited about rice and beans. It's mainly the
> carbs for her.Â* I like them and would like to make them, but I don't
> want to have to eat them all myself, and I am not into eating leftovers.

Rice & beans? Wait... what? Carbs from corn on the cob vs. rice and
beans? Okay, now you sound like someone with a "gardener".

Jill