Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Super Factories. Heinz beans

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 18:09:34 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/5/2020 5:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> Tonight she is grilling a corn cob for me. She doesn't like the
>> carbs in corn so she is not having any.Â* I don't care for liver (and
>> bacon or onions), so she sometimes orders that in restaurants. She often
>> has an omelet breakfast. I do not like omelets, so if she is making
>> breakfast or brunch for me she will fry, scramble or poach eggs.
>>

> From what you're saying it sounds like you're both free to eat and cook
> whatever you want, even if it's not necessarily the same thing.

It's amazing how sharp your mind is. You don't miss anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 17:39:42 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Fair enough.

>> Thank you. If she is not offended by it and actually likes her pet name,
>> I don't know why anyone else should be offended.

>>> Well, you both don't seem to love beets or lima beans so it makes sense
>>> you don't cook things neither of you really don't care for.
>>>

>> I don't dislike beets. I am indifferent to them. If someone serves them
>> to me I will eat them. If I see Borscht on a menu I am likely to order
>> it. Tonight she is grilling a corn cob for me. She doesn't like the
>> carbs in corn so she is not having any. I don't care for liver (and
>> bacon or onions), so she sometimes orders that in restaurants. She often
>> has an omelet breakfast. I do not like omelets, so if she is making
>> breakfast or brunch for me she will fry, scramble or poach eggs.

> Stop, my head's spinning!

You're hyperventilating. Sniff more slowly, and wait a second
between whiffs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 18:09:34 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/5/2020 5:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Tonight she is grilling a corn cob for me. She doesn't like the
>>> carbs in corn so she is not having any.Â* I don't care for liver (and
>>> bacon or onions), so she sometimes orders that in restaurants. She often
>>> has an omelet breakfast. I do not like omelets, so if she is making
>>> breakfast or brunch for me she will fry, scramble or poach eggs.
>>>

>> From what you're saying it sounds like you're both free to eat and cook
>> whatever you want, even if it's not necessarily the same thing.

> It's amazing how sharp your mind is. You don't miss anything.

Ain't she just great Druce? <Sniff>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 4:03:15 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/5/2020 10:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
> > husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
> > cooked differently, but I still cooked.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Exactly. Living alone has nothing to do with it. What would she do if
> her husband died? Not eat at all?
>
> Jill

Pork and beans!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-08-05 6:09 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/5/2020 5:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I don't dislike beets. I am indifferent to them. If someone serves
>> them to me I will eat them. If I see Borscht on a menu I am likely to
>> order it.

> If I was indifferent to beets and saw Borscht on the menu I'd be likely
> to ask if there is another soup. LOLÂ* The only beets I've ever tasted
> were canned things my parents liked.Â* We had to try them, at least once.
> Â*Then thankfully never again.Â* It left a lasting negative impression.
> Mom used to hide turnips in stew, too.Â* Trying to disguise them as
> potatoes. LOL

My wife blames canned beets served at summer camp for her dislike of
them. Over the last couple years she has tried small amounts of pickled
beets and roast beets(in a great salad with blue cheese and Bibb
lettuce) and it her attitude changed just a little.

We both hated parsnips but discovered that they are delicious when
roasted. However, they are still awful when boiled.

> Sorry, just can't jump on board.Â* I don't like carrots or turnips,
> either.Â* My parents used to make a dish using a combination of cooked
> diced carrots and turnips. <shudder>

I am not crazy about carrots. I like them raw. They are pretty good
roasted, but not so good when boiled.

>> Tonight she is grilling a corn cob for me. She doesn't like the carbs
>> in corn so she is not having any.Â* I don't care for liver (and bacon
>> or onions), so she sometimes orders that in restaurants. She often has
>> an omelet breakfast. I do not like omelets, so if she is making
>> breakfast or brunch for me she will fry, scramble or poach eggs.
>>

> From what you're saying it sounds like you're both free to eat and cook
> whatever you want, even if it's not necessarily the same thing.

We do okay. There are no rants about one or the other cooking and
serving what the other does not like.

>> I wish I could get her excited about rice and beans. It's mainly the
>> carbs for her.Â* I like them and would like to make them, but I don't
>> want to have to eat them all myself, and I am not into eating leftovers.
>>

> Rice & beans?Â* Wait... what?Â* Carbs from corn on the cob vs. rice and
> beans?Â* Okay, now you sound like someone with a "gardener".

She watches her weight and limits carbs. It might be a small problem
when it comes to meal preparation, but the results are pleasing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/08/2020 22:29, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/5/2020 10:37 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 05/08/2020 15:14, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
>>> husband was away on business for a month or so.Â* I cooked less and I
>>> cooked differently, but I still cooked.
>>>

>> Due to covid, my husband and I have been on opposite sides of the
>> Atlantic since the beginning of March. We've both been cooking,
>> although I did leave him a stack of freezer boxes full of home-made
>> foods.
>>
>> We did not expect to be apart for this long.
>>

> That's got to be tough.Â* Are you doing video chats by any chance?

Every day. I think I'd have gone nuts without that.

> You're still both cooking and that's a good thing.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 4:59:45 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/5/2020 6:12 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> All I know is she always mentions it's what her husband likes. Nary a
> >> word about what she likes. Does she like pizza with Spam and pineapple?
> >> (dsi1 brought it up and she hangs on his every word.) If so, why not
> >> just say "we" like it?
> >>
> >> I've never seen her say she cooks anything they both like. It's all
> >> about him. She also used to refer to her husband as "himself", which
> >> made it sound like he's Lord of the manor and she's the kitchen help.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Oh, now I've simply _got_ to start referring to my husband as
> > "himself".
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> LOL It was disturbing. This is the 21st century, not the turn of the
> 20th. (To be fair, it bothers me when Dave refers to his wife as
> "Megatron", too. It just doesn't sound respectful.)

That's between the two of them. It sounds like an affectionate nickname
to me. I often call my husband "guy". As in, "Hey, guy, where's the
scissors?"

> A few people have mentioned my living alone. That's got nothing to do
> with it. When I was married my husband liked canned pork & beans. I
> despise them. I served them but I always made sure to cook something
> *I* liked, too.

There isn't much that my husband likes that I don't. Blue cheese on
his salad, but that's easy enough for him to arrange. There are
many more things I like that he doesn't. The only thing I like that
I don't cook anymore is mushrooms, because the smell makes him ill.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 03:20:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 4:59:45 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> >

>> LOL It was disturbing. This is the 21st century, not the turn of the
>> 20th. (To be fair, it bothers me when Dave refers to his wife as
>> "Megatron", too. It just doesn't sound respectful.)

>That's between the two of them. It sounds like an affectionate nickname
>to me. I often call my husband "guy". As in, "Hey, guy, where's the
>scissors?"
>
>> A few people have mentioned my living alone. That's got nothing to do
>> with it. When I was married my husband liked canned pork & beans. I
>> despise them. I served them but I always made sure to cook something
>> *I* liked, too.

>There isn't much that my husband likes that I don't. Blue cheese on
>his salad, but that's easy enough for him to arrange. There are
>many more things I like that he doesn't. The only thing I like that
>I don't cook anymore is mushrooms, because the smell makes him ill.

My wife doesn't like liquorice,so I cook without.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 03:20:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 4:59:45 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

>> > Oh, now I've simply _got_ to start referring to my husband as
>> > "himself".
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >

>> LOL It was disturbing. This is the 21st century, not the turn of the
>> 20th. (To be fair, it bothers me when Dave refers to his wife as
>> "Megatron", too. It just doesn't sound respectful.)

>That's between the two of them. It sounds like an affectionate nickname
>to me. I often call my husband "guy". As in, "Hey, guy, where's the
>scissors?"
>
>> A few people have mentioned my living alone. That's got nothing to do
>> with it. When I was married my husband liked canned pork & beans. I
>> despise them. I served them but I always made sure to cook something
>> *I* liked, too.

>There isn't much that my husband likes that I don't. Blue cheese on
>his salad, but that's easy enough for him to arrange. There are
>many more things I like that he doesn't. The only thing I like that
>I don't cook anymore is mushrooms, because the smell makes him ill.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The only thing I don't use when my wife is home is onions because the
smell makes her ill. However there are plenty of times when she's not
home, like today is her golfing day, she'll be gone from 11 AM till 4
PM so I'm planning on a freshly picked kirby cuke salad with sweet
onions for lunch. Lately I prefer sweet onions. These are excellent:
https://www.syracuse.com/food/2017/1...s_ video.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 Dave Smith wrote:
>On 2020-08-05 6:09 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 8/5/2020 5:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I don't dislike beets. I am indifferent to them. If someone serves
>>> them to me I will eat them. If I see Borscht on a menu I am likely to
>>> order it.

>> If I was indifferent to beets and saw Borscht on the menu I'd be likely
>> to ask if there is another soup. LOL* The only beets I've ever tasted
>> were canned things my parents liked.* We had to try them, at least once.
>> *Then thankfully never again.* It left a lasting negative impression.
>> Mom used to hide turnips in stew, too.* Trying to disguise them as
>> potatoes. LOL

>My wife blames canned beets served at summer camp for her dislike of
>them. Over the last couple years she has tried small amounts of pickled
>beets and roast beets(in a great salad with blue cheese and Bibb
>lettuce) and it her attitude changed just a little.
>
>We both hated parsnips but discovered that they are delicious when
>roasted. However, they are still awful when boiled.

We both like beets and prefer canned only because they're quick and
there's no messy preparation... we buy them by the case and there's
always a few cans in the fridge for salads. We like beet tops/greens
too but those are not easy to find so instead we grow Swiss chard, a
very prolific crop, similar in taste to spinach but far easier to grow
and prep, not all that sand like with spinach. There are also several
varieties of chard; different color stems. Chard is good raw or
cooked, same as spinach. Chard is botanically the same plant as beets
but doesn't form that bulbous root. Beet tops are hard to find at
market because once beets are harvested the tops wilt within a couple
days and beets don't ship well with their tops attached so most
farmers feed the tops to their live stock.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2020 10:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
> husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
> cooked differently, but I still cooked.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Cooking different is key. I don't cook every day but do plan ahead.
Some is for a day or two later, other portions are frozen. these days
going out is near impossible but I'd rather eat at home anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 3:41:42 PM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/4/2020 2:52 PM, wrote:

> >> Do you never cook anything just for yourself that you like? Or must it
> >> always be what your husband likes?
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > It's called C O N T R O L. If she cooks something she likes she's no
> > longer under his thumb and he's lost control. But I'm glad to see
> > someone other than myself has noticed.
> >

> All I know is she always mentions it's what her husband likes. Nary a
> word about what she likes. Does she like pizza with Spam and pineapple?
> (dsi1 brought it up and she hangs on his every word.) If so, why not
> just say "we" like it?
>
> I've never seen her say she cooks anything they both like. It's all
> about him. She also used to refer to her husband as "himself", which
> made it sound like he's Lord of the manor and she's the kitchen help.
>
> Jill

What the heck is wrong with hanging on to my every word? You obviously do.
dsi1 thinks yoose is just a jealous schoolgirl. Grow up!

====

ROFLMAO

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 2020 at 10:14AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> If you lived alone what would you do? Subsist on tea and toast?

I've actually wondered if eating tea leaves out of the little bags is good for you or not.

> I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
> husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
> cooked differently, but I still cooked.

And you weren't alone, we (usenet) have all been here with you since what? 1995?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 6:58:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Aug 5, 2020 at 10:14AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > If you lived alone what would you do? Subsist on tea and toast?

> I've actually wondered if eating tea leaves out of the little bags is good for you or not.
>
> > I've lived alone and I've had stretches during my marriage when my
> > husband was away on business for a month or so. I cooked less and I
> > cooked differently, but I still cooked.

> And you weren't alone, we (usenet) have all been here with you since what? 1995?

Aw, bruce2, that's sweet. And yes, it's been about that long.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
> of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
> that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat

I've known too many men that think they "are the man" yet are
total puppets with their wives pulling the strings. They all
talk crap when around other men but see them at home and the
difference is very noticable and funny.

There's a new documentary coming on the "History Channel"
starting next Wednesday, I think. It's a doc about animals
in the wild and they've been advertizing it often here lately.

In one quick shot, they show a female lioness punching her
mate in the face with her paw. The male lion cringes then
starts roaring. LOL. Reminds me of you every time I see it.

:-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Aug 2020 05:59:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>
>> It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
>> of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
>> that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat

>I've known too many men that think they "are the man" yet are
>total puppets with their wives pulling the strings. They all
>talk crap when around other men but see them at home and the
>difference is very noticable and funny.

Interesting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Bruce wrote:

> It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
> of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
> that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat

I've known too many men that think they "are the man" yet are
total puppets with their wives pulling the strings. They all
talk crap when around other men but see them at home and the
difference is very noticable and funny.

There's a new documentary coming on the "History Channel"
starting next Wednesday, I think. It's a doc about animals
in the wild and they've been advertizing it often here lately.

In one quick shot, they show a female lioness punching her
mate in the face with her paw. The male lion cringes then
starts roaring. LOL. Reminds me of you every time I see it.

:-D

===

Awwwwwwwwwwww lol

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 21:15:34 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Bruce" wrote in message ...
> >
> >On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:52:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:

> >>It's called C O N T R O L. If she cooks something she likes she's no
> >>longer under his thumb and he's lost control. But I'm glad to see
> >>someone other than myself has noticed.

> >You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
> >are like.
> >
> >It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
> >of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
> >that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat
> >
> >======
> >
> > LOLOL They obviously don't have a clue about relationships LOL
> >
> > Perhaps that is the reason they are alone lolol

> Could well be

In this odd world, there is always someone for everyone if they
need someone.

Those of us that live alone choose to do so. Not everyone
*needs* to have someone around but many people do.
At this point in my life I love living alone.
That might change someday but for now it's what I choose.

"Better to be alone and deal with occasional loneliness than
to live with an annoying person all the damn time."

Hey! I already have to live daily with one annoying person.
Why would I want to bring in another?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Aug 2020 08:38:25 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 21:15:34 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Perhaps that is the reason they are alone lolol

>> Could well be

>In this odd world, there is always someone for everyone if they
>need someone.
>
>Those of us that live alone choose to do so. Not everyone
>*needs* to have someone around but many people do.
>At this point in my life I love living alone.
>That might change someday but for now it's what I choose.
>
>"Better to be alone and deal with occasional loneliness than
> to live with an annoying person all the damn time."
>
>Hey! I already have to live daily with one annoying person.
>Why would I want to bring in another?

Sure, but it might explain why you think there's always something
wrong with other people's relationships. Just because you're not able
to sustain a relationship other than with a ferret...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Aug 2020 08:38:25 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> Could well be

>> In this odd world, there is always someone for everyone if they
>> need someone.
>>
>> Those of us that live alone choose to do so. Not everyone
>> *needs* to have someone around but many people do.
>> At this point in my life I love living alone.
>> That might change someday but for now it's what I choose.
>>
>> "Better to be alone and deal with occasional loneliness than
>> to live with an annoying person all the damn time."
>>
>> Hey! I already have to live daily with one annoying person.
>> Why would I want to bring in another?

> Sure, but it might explain why you think there's always something
> wrong with other people's relationships. Just because you're not able
> to sustain a relationship other than with a ferret...

You need a newspaper column. Call it "Dear Druce".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 3:59:45 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/5/2020 6:12 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> All I know is she always mentions it's what her husband likes. Nary a
> >> word about what she likes. Does she like pizza with Spam and pineapple?
> >> (dsi1 brought it up and she hangs on his every word.) If so, why not
> >> just say "we" like it?
> >>
> >> I've never seen her say she cooks anything they both like. It's all
> >> about him. She also used to refer to her husband as "himself", which
> >> made it sound like he's Lord of the manor and she's the kitchen help.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Oh, now I've simply _got_ to start referring to my husband as
> > "himself".
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> LOL It was disturbing. This is the 21st century, not the turn of the
> 20th. (To be fair, it bothers me when Dave refers to his wife as
> "Megatron", too. It just doesn't sound respectful.)
>
> A few people have mentioned my living alone. That's got nothing to do
> with it. When I was married my husband liked canned pork & beans. I
> despise them. I served them but I always made sure to cook something
> *I* liked, too.

I'm not crazy about them either, but a little molasses and brown sugar makes them tolerable. What I do love is pureed-in-the-blender pintos with some oil added and reduced and rehydrated several times (refried), with nothing added but salt. That's what we had for an early dinner. Unsoaked pintos went into the pressure cooker for a full hour in a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup, which makes washing the metal bowl of the knockoff Instant Pot much easier to clean. I also cut the meat off the bone of a t-bone, pounded it thin, cut it into small pieces, seasoned it only with onion powder and garlic salt, and a little water with a tiny bit of dissolved umami enhancer, then left on the dining room table under the ceiling fan for about a half hour to let it dry out. I had rendered the fat from the steak, and added that to the meat, then lightly sauteed it. By letting it dry out, it doesn't sweat out the flavorful juices, and you don't have to deglaze the pan.

Lots of cheese was involved (cheap ALDI shredded mild Cheddar), some torn up lettuce, and sliced avocado. My wife and son had theirs on corn tortillas, and I just had mine on a plate, but we all added green salsa from a taqueria on the East Side. Be they pintos or black beans, as long as they are pureed and well fried, if there's plenty of cheese and great salsa, I could eat that almost every day.

Before I cooked the cut up beef, I put the bone with the meat that was left on it into the pan with the rendered fat, and fried it on high heat, and that was the only meat I had with it. The cheese and salsa were the stars, and the beans a hearty staple. Beans are a great food, and they don't make me gassy. For those who do suffer the toots, Beano (or better yet, generic Beano) does work. The best bang for your buck that I've found is
https://www.target.com/p/gas-treatme...2/-/A-47939611 Twice the enzyme at less than half the cost per capsule. I take them on the rare occasions that I indulge in White Castles, which I always order with extra cooked onion. Somehow, cooking rehydrated onions destroys almost all of the enzymes necessary to break down the oligosaccharides prior to entering the colon, and the flatulence can be both voluminous and highly odorous.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-08-05 6:09 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> > On 8/5/2020 5:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > I don't dislike beets. I am indifferent to them. If someone
> > > serves them to me I will eat them. If I see Borscht on a menu I
> > > am likely to order it.

> > If I was indifferent to beets and saw Borscht on the menu I'd be
> > likely to ask if there is another soup. LOLÂ* The only beets I've
> > ever tasted were canned things my parents liked.Â* We had to try
> > them, at least once. Â*Then thankfully never again.Â* It left a
> > lasting negative impression. Mom used to hide turnips in stew,
> > too.Â* Trying to disguise them as potatoes. LOL

> My wife blames canned beets served at summer camp for her dislike of
> them. Over the last couple years she has tried small amounts of
> pickled beets and roast beets(in a great salad with blue cheese and
> Bibb lettuce) and it her attitude changed just a little.
>
> We both hated parsnips but discovered that they are delicious when
> roasted. However, they are still awful when boiled.
>

> > Sorry, just can't jump on board.Â* I don't like carrots or turnips,
> > either.Â* My parents used to make a dish using a combination of
> > cooked diced carrots and turnips. <shudder>

> I am not crazy about carrots. I like them raw. They are pretty good
> roasted, but not so good when boiled.
>

> > > Tonight she is grilling a corn cob for me. She doesn't like the
> > > carbs in corn so she is not having any.Â* I don't care for liver
> > > (and bacon or onions), so she sometimes orders that in
> > > restaurants. She often has an omelet breakfast. I do not like
> > > omelets, so if she is making breakfast or brunch for me she will
> > > fry, scramble or poach eggs.
> > >

> > From what you're saying it sounds like you're both free to eat and
> > cook whatever you want, even if it's not necessarily the same
> > thing.

> We do okay. There are no rants about one or the other cooking and
> serving what the other does not like.
>

> > > I wish I could get her excited about rice and beans. It's mainly
> > > the carbs for her.Â* I like them and would like to make them, but
> > > I don't want to have to eat them all myself, and I am not into
> > > eating leftovers.
> > >

> > Rice & beans?Â* Wait... what?Â* Carbs from corn on the cob vs. rice
> > and beans?Â* Okay, now you sound like someone with a "gardener".
> >

> She watches her weight and limits carbs. It might be a small problem
> when it comes to meal preparation, but the results are pleasing.

Nothing wrong with that. Don and I are carb heavy as it suits us.
(both of us in normal weight or a bit below for our height).

Watching carbs reasonably (not extremes) is a good way to stave off
potential diabetes if one's family is prone to it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 Dave Smith wrote:

> serves >>> them to me I will eat them. If I see Borscht on a menu I
> am likely to >>> order it.
> >>
> >> If I was indifferent to beets and saw Borscht on the menu I'd be

> likely >> to ask if there is another soup. LOL* The only beets I've
> ever tasted >> were canned things my parents liked.* We had to try
> them, at least once. >> *Then thankfully never again.* It left a
> lasting negative impression. >> Mom used to hide turnips in stew,
> too.* Trying to disguise them as >> potatoes. LOL
> >
> > My wife blames canned beets served at summer camp for her dislike
> > of them. Over the last couple years she has tried small amounts of
> > pickled beets and roast beets(in a great salad with blue cheese and
> > Bibb lettuce) and it her attitude changed just a little.
> >
> > We both hated parsnips but discovered that they are delicious when
> > roasted. However, they are still awful when boiled.

> We both like beets and prefer canned only because they're quick and
> there's no messy preparation... we buy them by the case and there's
> always a few cans in the fridge for salads. We like beet tops/greens
> too but those are not easy to find so instead we grow Swiss chard, a
> very prolific crop, similar in taste to spinach but far easier to grow
> and prep, not all that sand like with spinach. There are also several
> varieties of chard; different color stems. Chard is good raw or
> cooked, same as spinach. Chard is botanically the same plant as beets
> but doesn't form that bulbous root. Beet tops are hard to find at
> market because once beets are harvested the tops wilt within a couple
> days and beets don't ship well with their tops attached so most
> farmers feed the tops to their live stock.

Interesting! I didn't know that about beet tops.

I have chard arriving in my next 'misfits' box. I recently rejoined
them since they now allow you to select your choices. If anyone wants
to try them, I also have a coupon that reduces the cost of your first
order. I happen to get a little off my next box too.

Chard is one of the few veggies I have not tried.

On beets, I rather liked the glass jarred ones. They aren't pickled (I
hate those) and don't taste like the can like somehow canned beets did.
The natural taste is earthy, similar in some ways to mushrooms.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-08-08 5:26 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:

>> botanically the same plant as beets
>> but doesn't form that bulbous root. Beet tops are hard to find at
>> market because once beets are harvested the tops wilt within a couple
>> days and beets don't ship well with their tops attached so most
>> farmers feed the tops to their live stock.

> Interesting! I didn't know that about beet tops.

Neither did I, and I found it interesting because they are a common
ingredient in those packages of mixed greens.

> I have chard arriving in my next 'misfits' box. I recently rejoined
> them since they now allow you to select your choices. If anyone wants
> to try them, I also have a coupon that reduces the cost of your first
> order. I happen to get a little off my next box too.
>
> Chard is one of the few veggies I have not tried.

I tried it once. I gave it an honest try. No thanks.

> On beets, I rather liked the glass jarred ones. They aren't pickled (I
> hate those) and don't taste like the can like somehow canned beets did.
> The natural taste is earthy, similar in some ways to mushrooms.

I was surprised to learn than my son loves pickled beets. Due to my
wife's extreme dislike of beets they never entered our house. He moved
out of the house about 20 years ago and has spend about a year in
Africa, close to 10 years on Montreal, a few years in Toronto, and,
after getting out in the work force and having paid vacation time has
done a lot of travelling. I don't know when or where he was exposed to
beets, but he likes the pickled variety.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 19:49:09 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2020-08-08 5:26 p.m., cshenk wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> botanically the same plant as beets
>>> but doesn't form that bulbous root. Beet tops are hard to find at
>>> market because once beets are harvested the tops wilt within a couple
>>> days and beets don't ship well with their tops attached so most
>>> farmers feed the tops to their live stock.

>> Interesting! I didn't know that about beet tops.

>Neither did I, and I found it interesting because they are a common
>ingredient in those packages of mixed greens.
>

>> I have chard arriving in my next 'misfits' box. I recently rejoined
>> them since they now allow you to select your choices. If anyone wants
>> to try them, I also have a coupon that reduces the cost of your first
>> order. I happen to get a little off my next box too.
>>
>> Chard is one of the few veggies I have not tried.

>I tried it once. I gave it an honest try. No thanks.
>

>> On beets, I rather liked the glass jarred ones. They aren't pickled (I
>> hate those) and don't taste like the can like somehow canned beets did.
>> The natural taste is earthy, similar in some ways to mushrooms.
>>

>I was surprised to learn than my son loves pickled beets. Due to my
>wife's extreme dislike of beets they never entered our house. He moved
>out of the house about 20 years ago and has spend about a year in
>Africa, close to 10 years on Montreal, a few years in Toronto, and,
>after getting out in the work force and having paid vacation time has
>done a lot of travelling.

Thanks, keep us informed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 19:49:09 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Interesting! I didn't know that about beet tops.

>> Neither did I, and I found it interesting because they are a common
>> ingredient in those packages of mixed greens.
>>

>>> I have chard arriving in my next 'misfits' box. I recently rejoined
>>> them since they now allow you to select your choices. If anyone wants
>>> to try them, I also have a coupon that reduces the cost of your first
>>> order. I happen to get a little off my next box too.
>>>
>>> Chard is one of the few veggies I have not tried.

>> I tried it once. I gave it an honest try. No thanks.
>>

>>> On beets, I rather liked the glass jarred ones. They aren't pickled (I
>>> hate those) and don't taste like the can like somehow canned beets did.
>>> The natural taste is earthy, similar in some ways to mushrooms.
>>>

>> I was surprised to learn than my son loves pickled beets. Due to my
>> wife's extreme dislike of beets they never entered our house. He moved
>> out of the house about 20 years ago and has spend about a year in
>> Africa, close to 10 years on Montreal, a few years in Toronto, and,
>> after getting out in the work force and having paid vacation time has
>> done a lot of travelling.

> Thanks, keep us informed.

<*SNIFF*>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2020 4:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 3:41:42 PM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:

>> must it

>> > It's calledÂ* C O N T R O L.Â* If she cooks something she likes she's no
>> > longer under his thumb and he's lost control.Â* But I'm glad to see
>> > someone other than myself has noticed.
>> >

>> All I know is she always mentions it's what her husband likes.Â* Nary a
>> word about what she likes.Â* Does she like pizza with Spam and pineapple?
>> (dsi1 brought it up and she hangs on his every word.)Â* If so, why not
>> just say "we" like it?
>>
>> I've never seen her say she cooks anything they both like.Â* It's all
>> about him.Â* She also used to refer to her husband as "himself", which
>> made it sound like he's Lord of the manor and she's the kitchen help.
>>
>> Jill

> What the heck is wrong with hanging on to my every word? You obviously
> do. dsi1 thinks yoose is just a jealous schoolgirl. Grow up!
>
> ====
>
> ROFLMAO

Actually, I think dsi1 spouts racist stuff on a regular basis. He also
believes everyone will be eating food made via 3-D printers and kelp.
You'd better run out and buy a 3-D printer and try to find a source for
kelp, otherwise you won't be able to cook anything "himself" likes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 10:17:31 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/6/2020 4:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1"Â* wrote in message

> >> must it

> >> All I know is she always mentions it's what her husband likes.Â* Nary a
> >> word about what she likes.Â* Does she like pizza with Spam and pineapple?
> >> (dsi1 brought it up and she hangs on his every word.)Â* If so, why not
> >> just say "we" like it?
> >>
> >> I've never seen her say she cooks anything they both like.Â* It's all
> >> about him.Â* She also used to refer to her husband as "himself", which
> >> made it sound like he's Lord of the manor and she's the kitchen help.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > What the heck is wrong with hanging on to my every word? You obviously
> > do. dsi1 thinks yoose is just a jealous schoolgirl. Grow up!
> >
> > ====
> >
> > ROFLMAO
> >

> Actually, I think dsi1 spouts racist stuff on a regular basis. He also
> believes everyone will be eating food made via 3-D printers and kelp.
> You'd better run out and buy a 3-D printer and try to find a source for
> kelp, otherwise you won't be able to cook anything "himself" likes.
>
> Jill

He doesn't say _when_ we'll be eating 3D printed food. Just
"in the future". That way he's never wrong. It'll be
"in the future" for the foreseeable future.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2020 10:56 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 10:17:31 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 8/6/2020 4:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> What the heck is wrong with hanging on to my every word? You obviously
>>> do. dsi1 thinks yoose is just a jealous schoolgirl. Grow up!
>>>
>>> ====
>>>
>>> ROFLMAO
>>>

>> Actually, I think dsi1 spouts racist stuff on a regular basis. He also
>> believes everyone will be eating food made via 3-D printers and kelp.
>> You'd better run out and buy a 3-D printer and try to find a source for
>> kelp, otherwise you won't be able to cook anything "himself" likes.
>>
>> Jill

> He doesn't say _when_ we'll be eating 3D printed food. Just
> "in the future". That way he's never wrong. It'll be
> "in the future" for the foreseeable future.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

He does tend to keep his posts about 3-D food rather vague but he speaks
with such authority! Heh.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 5:23:37 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/9/2020 10:56 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Actually, I think dsi1 spouts racist stuff on a regular basis. He also
> >> believes everyone will be eating food made via 3-D printers and kelp.
> >> You'd better run out and buy a 3-D printer and try to find a source for
> >> kelp, otherwise you won't be able to cook anything "himself" likes.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > He doesn't say _when_ we'll be eating 3D printed food. Just
> > "in the future". That way he's never wrong. It'll be
> > "in the future" for the foreseeable future.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> He does tend to keep his posts about 3-D food rather vague but he speaks
> with such authority! Heh.
>
> Jill

It can be hard to predict exactly when thing are going to happen but I'll always stand by what I say. You don't have to, nor do I care about what your opinions are about my opinions.

My guess is that your kill file needs some work because it ain't worth shit.. Please get some professional advice on that if you can't figure it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> I have chard arriving in my next 'misfits' box. I recently rejoined
> them since they now allow you to select your choices. If anyone wants
> to try them, I also have a coupon that reduces the cost of your first
> order. I happen to get a little off my next box too.
>
> Chard is one of the few veggies I have not tried.
>
> On beets, I rather liked the glass jarred ones. They aren't pickled (I
> hate those) and don't taste like the can like somehow canned beets did.
> The natural taste is earthy, similar in some ways to mushrooms.

the different varieties of chard can have different flavors
and textures.

so far i like them all.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 songbird wrote:
>cshenk wrote:
>> I have chard arriving in my next 'misfits' box. I recently rejoined
>> them since they now allow you to select your choices. If anyone wants
>> to try them, I also have a coupon that reduces the cost of your first
>> order. I happen to get a little off my next box too.
>>
>> Chard is one of the few veggies I have not tried.

> the different varieties of chard can have different flavors
> and textures. so far i like them all.
>
> songbird

Swiss chard is one of the easiest vegetables to grow and harvest...
just keep picking off the large outter leaves from each plant and
they'll keep growing more. Buying chard already harvesteed is not
nearly so good as freshly harvested. Most produce departments don't
sell shard as once harvested has a very short shelf life. Chard is
botanically the same plant as beets... beets are grown for their
bulbous root, chard produces more/better leaves but no bulbous root.
Chard is very close in taste and texture to spinach but is far easier
to grow and not full of sand like spinach. Like spinach chard is very
good eaten raw in salads, just snip off the thick stems as they can be
tough and fiberous.