Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Super Factories. Heinz beans

The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
cans a day. 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.

Each bean is inspected by lasers and split beans or pebbles are rejected
but not wasted. They become fertilizer.

Tomato paste comes from Spain, Italy, California Same spices since 1892
are added. Beans are cooked in the can using rotary steam cookers.

If you are looking for it on cable, it is episode 3 and will repeat or
be available on demand. The title is NASA Rocket Factory.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 22:07:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
> cans a day.

Surely Heinz has bean-counters. How many beans is that?

I guess we can call UK "Beaners" now.

> 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.

Why don't they use fresh beans? It looks like beans are mostly dried
in the field while still on the stalks, and then harvested from
that. You'd get quicker turnaround on your land rotating in
something else in the meantime.

There's seems to be a lot of time and energy in pre-drying, then
rehydrating beans at the processing plants.

I'm sure there's culinary and economical reasons for not doing this,
I'm just curious what it is. Green peas, for example, don't go
through the same grown-dry-rehydrate process. I'd be curious what a
fresh pinto tastes like when cooked to the same state as previously
dried.

OTOH, if fresh peanuts vs. dried and roasted are any example of
culinary benefit of drying first, I'll take the dried ones 101% of
the time. Fresh peanuts are ass.

> If you are looking for it on cable, it is episode 3 and will repeat or
> be available on demand. The title is NASA Rocket Factory.

Since my cable was cut (literally, 2 feet short so I couldn't hook
myself up illegally again) I found it as a torrent at:

https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=36334436

Downloading now....

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2020 5:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 22:07:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
>> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
>> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
>> cans a day.

> Surely Heinz has bean-counters. How many beans is that?
>
> I guess we can call UK "Beaners" now.
>
>> 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.

> Why don't they use fresh beans?

They probably run the factory 365 days per year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 22:07:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
>> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
>> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
>> cans a day.

> Surely Heinz has bean-counters. How many beans is that?
>
> I guess we can call UK "Beaners" now.
>
>> 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.

> Why don't they use fresh beans? It looks like beans are mostly dried
> in the field while still on the stalks, and then harvested from
> that. You'd get quicker turnaround on your land rotating in
> something else in the meantime.

old habits die hard. what you have the equipment for
may limit what you can do.

that is the problem around here a lot of farmers have
equipment for soybeans and/or corn but not much else
also there aren't places that will process and ship other
strange items so you have to figure out the whole
supply chain and find someone who will take what you
grow. let alone finding people who will pick it if it
is a fresh item that needs hands on workers.

> There's seems to be a lot of time and energy in pre-drying, then
> rehydrating beans at the processing plants.

shipping cool water around (which is what fresh
vegetable shipping basically is) is not cheap. dried
stuff ships and stores much easier.

> I'm sure there's culinary and economical reasons for not doing this,
> I'm just curious what it is. Green peas, for example, don't go
> through the same grown-dry-rehydrate process. I'd be curious what a
> fresh pinto tastes like when cooked to the same state as previously
> dried.

storage and transportation issues. to use fresh produce
takes a lot more expense and more careful handling. if you
don't keep fresh stuff cold enough it will start to ferment.

> OTOH, if fresh peanuts vs. dried and roasted are any example of
> culinary benefit of drying first, I'll take the dried ones 101% of
> the time. Fresh peanuts are ass.

some beans are really good as shellies (fresh from the pod
while still tender and not hard).

other beans are only edible when dried and cooked.

also, note, some beans must be cooked at certain
temperatures to neutralize poisons. something that
people who use low heat on slow cookers can find out
in a rather rude way.

>> If you are looking for it on cable, it is episode 3 and will repeat or
>> be available on demand. The title is NASA Rocket Factory.

i like shows like this.

i watch anything on recycling i can find because i
find the process of how they sort things out interesting.
how they figure out what is what.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Each bean is inspected by lasers and split beans or pebbles are rejected
> but not wasted. They become fertilizer.

they make excellent worm food.

there has been a big advance in sorting equipment
the past 30yrs. now a lot of processors use optical
sorting.

> Tomato paste comes from Spain, Italy, California Same spices since 1892
> are added. Beans are cooked in the can using rotary steam cookers.
>
> If you are looking for it on cable, it is episode 3 and will repeat or
> be available on demand. The title is NASA Rocket Factory.

thanks! i won't be able to watch it until someone
puts it on youtube, but i watch a lot of vids on
processes if i can find them. something about
glass making and recycling always appeals to me.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 05:40:37 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> On 7/31/2020 5:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 22:07:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
>>> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
>>> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
>>> cans a day.

>> Surely Heinz has bean-counters. How many beans is that?
>>
>> I guess we can call UK "Beaners" now.
>>
>>> 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.

>> Why don't they use fresh beans?

> They probably run the factory 365 days per year.

Yeah, I thought about that. But pickle factories pump out jarred
fresh-pack pickles, canned mushy peas (from fresh), and spotted
dicks all year long(*), too.

That UK plant's output is only 60% beans, not just their baked
beans. So they're also canning other stuff year round (probably
mushy peas!). The video often hints and glosses over other products
coming out of that same factory. I'm sure it's seasonal - but with
baked beans occupying 4 production days out of every week.

It's not like canned beans are going to go bad in 8 months, let
along 18. Libby's doesn't let their pumpkin canning lines go dormant
for 10 months out of the year. It's all canned in 2 months and then
they move onto other things.

I suspect it's a culinary/taste thing. The beans probably don't
taste the same before being - not unlike fresh vs. dried chiles and
peas.

The spinning retorts were interesting. Spining makes a lot fo sense
for 15oz (and bigger) cans. But every time I see retorts I think
about that poor guy that got trapped in a tuna canning retort
(https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...d-tuna-n349641)
Now imagine if that tuna retort spun, too (tuna doesn't need spun
since they're in small squat cans).

And the laser-picker-rejecter thing was going awfully fast - I'm
interested in the technical/mechanical aspect of how those defective
beans were picked out the crowd. I know McDonald's shoots fries off
a conveyor belt with robotic air blasts, but those beans were
traveling at 60MPH 3 layers deep by a meter wide. That's some
serious computing power doing pattern recognition and whatever
plucks them out of that stream. I have to admit that the baked beans
I've been eating lately (3x this week) have all been perfect.

(*) I'm not sure when spotted dicks are in season. That's more
Gregory's expertise.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 4:08:04 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
> cans a day. 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.
>
> Each bean is inspected by lasers and split beans or pebbles are rejected
> but not wasted. They become fertilizer.
>
> Tomato paste comes from Spain, Italy, California Same spices since 1892
> are added. Beans are cooked in the can using rotary steam cookers.
>
> If you are looking for it on cable, it is episode 3 and will repeat or
> be available on demand. The title is NASA Rocket Factory.

The Brits are truly into canned beans.

https://sfae.com/ECommerceSite/files...a5e2d3dd99.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2020 8:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 22:07:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
>> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
>> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
>> cans a day.

> Surely Heinz has bean-counters. How many beans is that?
>
> I guess we can call UK "Beaners" now.
>
>> 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.

> Why don't they use fresh beans? It looks like beans are mostly dried
> in the field while still on the stalks, and then harvested from
> that. You'd get quicker turnaround on your land rotating in
> something else in the meantime.
>
> There's seems to be a lot of time and energy in pre-drying, then
> rehydrating beans at the processing plants.
>
> I'm sure there's culinary and economical reasons for not doing this,
> I'm just curious what it is. Green peas, for example, don't go
> through the same grown-dry-rehydrate process. I'd be curious what a
> fresh pinto tastes like when cooked to the same state as previously
> dried.

Near as I can tell, they have a shorter shelf life and would have to be
processed in a short time. Shipping would be riskier

> Since my cable was cut (literally, 2 feet short so I couldn't hook
> myself up illegally again) I found it as a torrent at:
>
> https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=36334436
>
> Downloading now....
>
> -sw

Can't just splice in or connect a fitting and go from there?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 9:08:04 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
> cans a day. 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.
>
> Each bean is inspected by lasers and split beans or pebbles are rejected
> but not wasted. They become fertilizer.
>
> Tomato paste comes from Spain, Italy, California Same spices since 1892
> are added. Beans are cooked in the can using rotary steam cookers.

Part of the human food chain!

That's led to overpopulation of Homo Sapiens and our Sixth Extinction Event!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWrPo02e4fo

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist, Suburban Renewalist and Vegetarian
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 13:25:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 7/31/2020 8:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> There's seems to be a lot of time and energy in pre-drying, then
>> rehydrating beans at the processing plants.
>>
>> I'm sure there's culinary and economical reasons for not doing this,
>> I'm just curious what it is. Green peas, for example, don't go
>> through the same grown-dry-rehydrate process. I'd be curious what a
>> fresh pinto tastes like when cooked to the same state as previously
>> dried.

> Near as I can tell, they have a shorter shelf life and would have to be
> processed in a short time. Shipping would be riskier

Sure. But look at all the other canned goods - especially
vegetables. Almost everything except beans are processed fresh and
have much shorter shelf life. Peaches, pears, beets, corn. Peas,
green beans, soybeans, asparagus <gag>, etc.....

> Can't just splice in or connect a fitting and go from there?

Yeah, I need a commercial crimper and connectors. I have screw on
connectors but they're too big for the commercial grade co-ax
running underground. They cut off 2 feet of cable at the pylon
leaving me only 2" of cable left before dirt. And then it goes
underground, not in a conduit, to the side of the house 40+ feet.
I'd still only get basic cable which is about 80 channels, 60 of
which are probably useless.

But I'm pretty happy with just PlutoTV streaming natively on my POS
Vizio, which I won in a raffle I didn't even know I entered (blood
donation). And the occasional Chromecast from the PC for Steelers
games or things like the short show above. I also have an active
(powered) indoor antenna when I need to watch live broadcasts.

I'm in no hurry to experience cable TV again.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Bob is offline

On 7/31/2020 1:29 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 9:08:04 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
>> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
>> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
>> cans a day. 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.
>>
>> Each bean is inspected by lasers and split beans or pebbles are rejected
>> but not wasted. They become fertilizer.
>>
>> Tomato paste comes from Spain, Italy, California Same spices since 1892
>> are added. Beans are cooked in the can using rotary steam cookers.

> Part of the human food chain!
>
> That's led to overpopulation of Homo Sapiens and our Sixth Extinction Event!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWrPo02e4fo
>

> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist, Suburban Renewalist and Vegetarian

The way things are going, yes, it can happen. Plenty of starvation in
the world already. Too many babies
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:38:05 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 22:07:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
> > episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
> > do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
> > cans a day.

> Surely Heinz has bean-counters. How many beans is that?
>
> I guess we can call UK "Beaners" now.
>
> > 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.

> Why don't they use fresh beans? It looks like beans are mostly dried
> in the field while still on the stalks, and then harvested from
> that. You'd get quicker turnaround on your land rotating in
> something else in the meantime.

Where are the beans shipped from? India? Brazil? China? Tanzania?

It might not be practical to ship fresh beans.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 10:29:58 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:

> On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 9:08:04 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
>> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
>> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
>> cans a day. 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.
>>
>> Each bean is inspected by lasers and split beans or pebbles are rejected
>> but not wasted. They become fertilizer.
>>
>> Tomato paste comes from Spain, Italy, California Same spices since 1892
>> are added. Beans are cooked in the can using rotary steam cookers.

> Part of the human food chain!
>
> That's led to overpopulation of Homo Sapiens and our Sixth Extinction Event!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWrPo02e4f

66 million years ago? And the previous 5 took place over the course
of 550 million years? That means we're about due for one in another
40 million years.

How may of those previous 5 extinction events were related to
fartmobiles? And hasn't each extinction event been a huge boon to
lifeforms on earth?

Yeah, I know , these are all rhetorical questions. But it seems
another extinction event would be to Earth's best advantage. There
would be no more fartmobiles and women might finally be able to pee
standing up.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 13:25:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> On 7/31/2020 8:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> There's seems to be a lot of time and energy in pre-drying, then
>>> rehydrating beans at the processing plants.
>>>
>>> I'm sure there's culinary and economical reasons for not doing this,
>>> I'm just curious what it is. Green peas, for example, don't go
>>> through the same grown-dry-rehydrate process. I'd be curious what a
>>> fresh pinto tastes like when cooked to the same state as previously
>>> dried.

>> Near as I can tell, they have a shorter shelf life and would have to be
>> processed in a short time. Shipping would be riskier

> Sure. But look at all the other canned goods - especially
> vegetables. Almost everything except beans are processed fresh and
> have much shorter shelf life. Peaches, pears, beets, corn. Peas,
> green beans, soybeans, asparagus <gag>, etc.....
>
>> Can't just splice in or connect a fitting and go from there?

> Yeah, I need a commercial crimper and connectors. I have screw on
> connectors but they're too big for the commercial grade co-ax
> running underground. They cut off 2 feet of cable at the pylon
> leaving me only 2" of cable left before dirt. And then it goes
> underground, not in a conduit, to the side of the house 40+ feet.
> I'd still only get basic cable which is about 80 channels, 60 of
> which are probably useless.
>
> But I'm pretty happy with just PlutoTV streaming natively on my POS
> Vizio, which I won in a raffle I didn't even know I entered (blood
> donation). And the occasional Chromecast from the PC for Steelers
> games or things like the short show above. I also have an active
> (powered) indoor antenna when I need to watch live broadcasts.
>
> I'm in no hurry to experience cable TV again.
>
> -sw

If you paid your bill, they'd probably come out and fix the cable
connection for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 12:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:38:05 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 22:07:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
>>> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
>>> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
>>> cans a day.

>> Surely Heinz has bean-counters. How many beans is that?
>>
>> I guess we can call UK "Beaners" now.
>>
>>> 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.

>> Why don't they use fresh beans? It looks like beans are mostly dried
>> in the field while still on the stalks, and then harvested from
>> that. You'd get quicker turnaround on your land rotating in
>> something else in the meantime.

> Where are the beans shipped from? India? Brazil? China? Tanzania?
>
> It might not be practical to ship fresh beans.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

They mostly come from Texas and northern Mexico. But that's beside
the point. Even we U.S. beaners use dry beans and rehydrate them.

BTW, water comprises only about 11% of the fresh raw bean weight
according to the USDA database.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 22:07:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
>> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
>> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
>> cans a day.

> Surely Heinz has bean-counters. How many beans is that?
>
> I guess we can call UK "Beaners" now.
>
>> 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.

> Why don't they use fresh beans? It looks like beans are mostly dried
> in the field while still on the stalks, and then harvested from
> that. You'd get quicker turnaround on your land rotating in
> something else in the meantime.
>
> There's seems to be a lot of time and energy in pre-drying, then
> rehydrating beans at the processing plants.
>
> I'm sure there's culinary and economical reasons for not doing this,
> I'm just curious what it is. Green peas, for example, don't go
> through the same grown-dry-rehydrate process. I'd be curious what a
> fresh pinto tastes like when cooked to the same state as previously
> dried.
>
> OTOH, if fresh peanuts vs. dried and roasted are any example of
> culinary benefit of drying first, I'll take the dried ones 101% of
> the time. Fresh peanuts are ass.
>
>> If you are looking for it on cable, it is episode 3 and will repeat or
>> be available on demand. The title is NASA Rocket Factory.

> Since my cable was cut (literally, 2 feet short so I couldn't hook
> myself up illegally again) I found it as a torrent at:
>
> https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=36334436
>
> Downloading now....
>
> -sw

Aren't fresh beans a seasonal thing? And wouldn't dried beans transport more
easily?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 4:08:04 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
> episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
> do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
> cans a day. 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.
>
> Each bean is inspected by lasers and split beans or pebbles are rejected
> but not wasted. They become fertilizer.
>
> Tomato paste comes from Spain, Italy, California Same spices since 1892
> are added. Beans are cooked in the can using rotary steam cookers.
>
> If you are looking for it on cable, it is episode 3 and will repeat or
> be available on demand. The title is NASA Rocket Factory.

The Brits are truly into canned beans.

https://sfae.com/ECommerceSite/files...a5e2d3dd99.jpg

====

Lol D. loves them, me, not so much)

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:24:23 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 4:08:04 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
> > episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
> > do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
> > cans a day. 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.
> >
> > Each bean is inspected by lasers and split beans or pebbles are rejected
> > but not wasted. They become fertilizer.
> >
> > Tomato paste comes from Spain, Italy, California Same spices since 1892
> > are added. Beans are cooked in the can using rotary steam cookers.
> >
> > If you are looking for it on cable, it is episode 3 and will repeat or
> > be available on demand. The title is NASA Rocket Factory.

> The Brits are truly into canned beans.
>
> https://sfae.com/ECommerceSite/files...a5e2d3dd99.jpg
>
> ====
>
> Lol D. loves them, me, not so much)

> https://www.avg.com

I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American canned beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My guess is that the Brits found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never really caught on in Hawaii though Spam certainly did. Funny how that works out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:10:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:24:23 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 4:08:04 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> > The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
>> > episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
>> > do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
>> > cans a day. 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.
>> >
>> > Each bean is inspected by lasers and split beans or pebbles are rejected
>> > but not wasted. They become fertilizer.
>> >
>> > Tomato paste comes from Spain, Italy, California Same spices since 1892
>> > are added. Beans are cooked in the can using rotary steam cookers.
>> >
>> > If you are looking for it on cable, it is episode 3 and will repeat or
>> > be available on demand. The title is NASA Rocket Factory.

>> The Brits are truly into canned beans.
>>
>> https://sfae.com/ECommerceSite/files...a5e2d3dd99.jpg
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Lol D. loves them, me, not so much)
>>

>> --
>> https://www.avg.com

>I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American canned beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My guess is that the Brits found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never really caught on in Hawaii though Spam certainly did. Funny how that works out.

Maybe the beans weren't unhealthy enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:10:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:24:23 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>>> The Brits are truly into canned beans.
>>>
>>> https://sfae.com/ECommerceSite/files...a5e2d3dd99.jpg
>>>
>>> ====
>>>
>>> Lol D. loves them, me, not so much)
>>>

>>> --
>>> https://www.avg.com

>> I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American canned beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My guess is that the Brits found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never really caught on in Hawaii though Spam certainly did. Funny how that works out.

> Maybe the beans weren't unhealthy enough.

During WWII, the dutch sure learned to sniff american asses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Hank Rogers wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:10:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> > wrote:

> >> I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American canned beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My guess is that the Brits found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never really caught on in Hawaii though Spam certainly did. Funny how that works out.

> > Maybe the beans weren't unhealthy enough.
> >

> During WWII, the dutch sure learned to sniff american asses.

Actually, to quote the German leadership, "The Dutch make the best Nazis"....

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Lol D. loves them, me, not so much)

helps a lot if you don't add spices, onions
and garlic when cooking them. just use them
as filler in other things.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:
> Lol D. loves them, me, not so much)

helps a lot if you don't add spices, onions
and garlic when cooking them. just use them
as filler in other things.

songbird

====

He is happy to have them on the plate with other things. )

I never mix them with anything

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 1:10PM -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:
>On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:24:23 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 4:08:04 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> > The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The particular
>> > episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK. They
>> > do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
>> > cans a day. 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.
>> >
>> > Each bean is inspected by lasers and split beans or pebbles are rejected
>> > but not wasted. They become fertilizer.
>> >
>> > Tomato paste comes from Spain, Italy, California Same spices since 1892
>> > are added. Beans are cooked in the can using rotary steam cookers.
>> >
>> > If you are looking for it on cable, it is episode 3 and will repeat or
>> > be available on demand. The title is NASA Rocket Factory.

>> The Brits are truly into canned beans.
>>
>> https://sfae.com/ECommerceSite/files...a5e2d3dd99.jpg
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Lol D. loves them, me, not so much)
>>

>> --
>> https://www.avg.com

>I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American canned beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My >guess is that the Brits found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never really caught on in Hawaii though Spam certainly >did. Funny how that works out.

Here on the mainland, I'd say Spam demand kinda fizzeled out during the 70s, but Hawai'ian pineapple as a pizza and pork topping sure caught on like wildfire! Those King's Hawai'ian sweet rolls are OK, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 11:11:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>On Saturday, August 1, 2020 1:10PM -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:
>>On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:24:23 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>>> The Brits are truly into canned beans.

https://sfae.com/ECommerceSite/files...a5e2d3dd99.jpg

>>> ====
>>>
>>> Lol D. loves them, me, not so much)
>>>

>>> --
>>> https://www.avg.com

>>I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American canned beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My >guess is that the Brits found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never really caught on in Hawaii though Spam certainly >did. Funny how that works out.

>Here on the mainland, I'd say Spam demand kinda fizzeled out during the 70s, but Hawai'ian pineapple as a pizza and pork topping sure caught on like wildfire! Those King's Hawai'ian sweet rolls are OK, too.

Hey, I thought you were unable to quote, but look at ya!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 1:10PM -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:
>On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:24:23 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 4:08:04 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> > The Science channel has a series called Super Factories. The
>> > particular
>> > episode I'm watching has a segment on the Heinz factory in the UK.
>> > They
>> > do canned beans there. They make 4500 cans per minute, about 4 million
>> > cans a day. 1200 tons of dried beans are shipped in every week.
>> >
>> > Each bean is inspected by lasers and split beans or pebbles are
>> > rejected
>> > but not wasted. They become fertilizer.
>> >
>> > Tomato paste comes from Spain, Italy, California Same spices since
>> > 1892
>> > are added. Beans are cooked in the can using rotary steam cookers.
>> >
>> > If you are looking for it on cable, it is episode 3 and will repeat or
>> > be available on demand. The title is NASA Rocket Factory.

>> The Brits are truly into canned beans.
>>
>> https://sfae.com/ECommerceSite/files...a5e2d3dd99.jpg
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Lol D. loves them, me, not so much)
>>

>> --
>> https://www.avg.com

>I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American canned
>beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My >guess is that the Brits
>found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never really caught on
>in Hawaii though Spam certainly >did. Funny how that works out.

Here on the mainland, I'd say Spam demand kinda fizzeled out during the 70s,
but Hawai'ian pineapple as a pizza and pork topping sure caught on like
wildfire! Those King's Hawai'ian sweet rolls are OK, too.

===

I always make pizza with spam and pineapple. It's the only one my husband
likes )))

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 8:11:42 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 1:10PM -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:
> >On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:24:23 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> >> The Brits are truly into canned beans.
> >>
> >> https://sfae.com/ECommerceSite/files...a5e2d3dd99.jpg
> >>
> >> ====
> >>
> >> Lol D. loves them, me, not so much)
> >>

> >> --
> >> https://www.avg.com

> >I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American canned beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My >guess is that the Brits found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never really caught on in Hawaii though Spam certainly >did. Funny how that works out.

> Here on the mainland, I'd say Spam demand kinda fizzeled out during the 70s, but Hawai'ian pineapple as a pizza and pork topping sure caught on like wildfire! Those King's Hawai'ian sweet rolls are OK, too.

The Hawaiian sweet rolls are actually based on Portuguese sweet breads which is a sweet, egg bread, similar to brioche. Portuguese sweet bread has always been popular in Hawaii. The way I used to make it was with mashed potato and lemon zest. If you ask me, King's should sell bread in uncut loaves instead of rolls.
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._w7XN9UMo75dt6
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 8:11:42 AM UTC-10, wrote:

>>> I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American canned beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My >guess is that the Brits found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never really caught on in Hawaii though Spam certainly >did. Funny how that works out.

>> Here on the mainland, I'd say Spam demand kinda fizzeled out during the 70s, but Hawai'ian pineapple as a pizza and pork topping sure caught on like wildfire! Those King's Hawai'ian sweet rolls are OK, too.

> The Hawaiian sweet rolls are actually based on Portuguese sweet breads which is a sweet, egg bread, similar to brioche. Portuguese sweet bread has always been popular in Hawaii. The way I used to make it was with mashed potato and lemon zest. If you ask me, King's should sell bread in uncut loaves instead of rolls.
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._w7XN9UMo75dt6

I'd rather have a nice piece of cake instead of kings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 8:11:42 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 1:10PM -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:
> >On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:24:23 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> >> The Brits are truly into canned beans.
> >>
> >> https://sfae.com/ECommerceSite/files...a5e2d3dd99.jpg
> >>
> >> ====
> >>
> >> Lol D. loves them, me, not so much)
> >>

> >> --
> >> https://www.avg.com

> >I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American canned
> >beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My >guess is that the Brits
> >found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never really caught on
> >in Hawaii though Spam certainly >did. Funny how that works out.

> Here on the mainland, I'd say Spam demand kinda fizzeled out during the
> 70s, but Hawai'ian pineapple as a pizza and pork topping sure caught on
> like wildfire! Those King's Hawai'ian sweet rolls are OK, too.

The Hawaiian sweet rolls are actually based on Portuguese sweet breads which
is a sweet, egg bread, similar to brioche. Portuguese sweet bread has always
been popular in Hawaii. The way I used to make it was with mashed potato and
lemon zest. If you ask me, King's should sell bread in uncut loaves instead
of rolls.
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._w7XN9UMo75dt6

=====

That looks lovely!! Please share your recipe?

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 11:30:20 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 8:11:42 AM UTC-10, wrote:

> > >I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American canned
> > >beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My >guess is that the Brits
> > >found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never really caught on
> > >in Hawaii though Spam certainly >did. Funny how that works out.

> > Here on the mainland, I'd say Spam demand kinda fizzeled out during the
> > 70s, but Hawai'ian pineapple as a pizza and pork topping sure caught on
> > like wildfire! Those King's Hawai'ian sweet rolls are OK, too.

> The Hawaiian sweet rolls are actually based on Portuguese sweet breads which
> is a sweet, egg bread, similar to brioche. Portuguese sweet bread has always
> been popular in Hawaii. The way I used to make it was with mashed potato and
> lemon zest. If you ask me, King's should sell bread in uncut loaves instead
> of rolls.
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._w7XN9UMo75dt6
>
> =====
>
> That looks lovely!! Please share your recipe?

> https://www.avg.com

I don't have a recipe. Mostly, I made it up from interviewing old Portuguese ladies about how they made sweetbread. They didn't give me recipes either.. Mostly it was their methods I was interested in. Starting with a boiled potato and adding lemon zest were some of the old-school refinements that I learned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYoVIeyqiw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Portuguese sweet breads was Super Factories. Heinz beans

"dsi1" wrote in message

> The Hawaiian sweet rolls are actually based on Portuguese sweet breads
> which
> is a sweet, egg bread, similar to brioche. Portuguese sweet bread has
> always
> been popular in Hawaii. The way I used to make it was with mashed potato
> and
> lemon zest. If you ask me, King's should sell bread in uncut loaves
> instead
> of rolls.
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._w7XN9UMo75dt6
>
> =====
>
> That looks lovely!! Please share your recipe?

I don't have a recipe. Mostly, I made it up from interviewing old Portuguese
ladies about how they made sweetbread. They didn't give me recipes either.
Mostly it was their methods I was interested in. Starting with a boiled
potato and adding lemon zest were some of the old-school refinements that I
learned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYoVIeyqiw

====

Oh my! That is a lot of work. If I ever made that I would need to use a
machine!

It is interesting though! Thank you

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 09:53:37 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> The Hawaiian sweet rolls are actually based on Portuguese sweet breads
>> which
>> is a sweet, egg bread, similar to brioche. Portuguese sweet bread has
>> always
>> been popular in Hawaii. The way I used to make it was with mashed potato
>> and
>> lemon zest. If you ask me, King's should sell bread in uncut loaves
>> instead
>> of rolls.
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._w7XN9UMo75dt6
>>
>> =====
>>
>> That looks lovely!! Please share your recipe?

>I don't have a recipe. Mostly, I made it up from interviewing old Portuguese
>ladies about how they made sweetbread. They didn't give me recipes either.
>Mostly it was their methods I was interested in. Starting with a boiled
>potato and adding lemon zest were some of the old-school refinements that I
>learned.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYoVIeyqiw
>
>====
>
>Oh my! That is a lot of work. If I ever made that I would need to use a
>machine!
>
>It is interesting though! Thank you

Funny video. I'm not too keen on sweet bread, which is good because I
don't have a Portuguese mother-in-law.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> The Hawaiian sweet rolls are actually based on Portuguese sweet breads
>> which
>> is a sweet, egg bread, similar to brioche. Portuguese sweet bread has
>> always
>> been popular in Hawaii. The way I used to make it was with mashed potato
>> and
>> lemon zest. If you ask me, King's should sell bread in uncut loaves
>> instead
>> of rolls.
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._w7XN9UMo75dt6
>>
>> =====
>>
>> That looks lovely!! Please share your recipe?

>I don't have a recipe. Mostly, I made it up from interviewing old
>Portuguese
>ladies about how they made sweetbread. They didn't give me recipes either.
>Mostly it was their methods I was interested in. Starting with a boiled
>potato and adding lemon zest were some of the old-school refinements that I
>learned.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYoVIeyqiw
>
>====
>
>Oh my! That is a lot of work. If I ever made that I would need to use a
>machine!
>
>It is interesting though! Thank you

Funny video. I'm not too keen on sweet bread, which is good because I
don't have a Portuguese mother-in-law.

====

Yes, I think that would help <g>

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:12:31 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 09:53:37 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>>
>>> The Hawaiian sweet rolls are actually based on Portuguese sweet breads
>>> which
>>> is a sweet, egg bread, similar to brioche. Portuguese sweet bread has
>>> always
>>> been popular in Hawaii. The way I used to make it was with mashed potato
>>> and
>>> lemon zest. If you ask me, King's should sell bread in uncut loaves
>>> instead
>>> of rolls.
>>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._w7XN9UMo75dt6
>>>
>>> =====
>>>
>>> That looks lovely!! Please share your recipe?

>>I don't have a recipe. Mostly, I made it up from interviewing old
>>Portuguese
>>ladies about how they made sweetbread. They didn't give me recipes either.
>>Mostly it was their methods I was interested in. Starting with a boiled
>>potato and adding lemon zest were some of the old-school refinements that I
>>learned.
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYoVIeyqiw
>>
>>====
>>
>>Oh my! That is a lot of work. If I ever made that I would need to use a
>>machine!
>>
>>It is interesting though! Thank you

>Funny video. I'm not too keen on sweet bread, which is good because I
>don't have a Portuguese mother-in-law.
>
>====
>
> Yes, I think that would help <g>

Yes, and this one would fit in the back of a kitchen cupboard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 09:53:37 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>>
>>> The Hawaiian sweet rolls are actually based on Portuguese sweet breads
>>> which
>>> is a sweet, egg bread, similar to brioche. Portuguese sweet bread has
>>> always
>>> been popular in Hawaii. The way I used to make it was with mashed potato
>>> and
>>> lemon zest. If you ask me, King's should sell bread in uncut loaves
>>> instead
>>> of rolls.
>>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._w7XN9UMo75dt6
>>>
>>> =====
>>>
>>> That looks lovely!! Please share your recipe?

>>I don't have a recipe. Mostly, I made it up from interviewing old
>>Portuguese
>>ladies about how they made sweetbread. They didn't give me recipes either.
>>Mostly it was their methods I was interested in. Starting with a boiled
>>potato and adding lemon zest were some of the old-school refinements that
>>learned.
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYoVIeyqiw
>>
>>====
>>
>>Oh my! That is a lot of work. If I ever made that I would need to use a
>>machine!
>>
>>It is interesting though! Thank you

>Funny video. I'm not too keen on sweet bread, which is good because I
>don't have a Portuguese mother-in-law.
>
>====
>
> Yes, I think that would help <g>

Yes, and this one would fit in the back of a kitchen cupboard

====

<g> she is rather short )

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2020 3:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 1:10PM -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:24:23 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>>> particular
>>> million

>>> rejected

>>> The Brits are truly into canned beans.
>>>
>>> https://sfae.com/ECommerceSite/files...a5e2d3dd99.jpg
>>>

>>> ====
>>>
>>> Â* LolÂ* D. loves them, me, not so much)
>>>

>>> --
>>> https://www.avg.com

>> I don't know if your canned beans are similar in taste as American
>> canned beans. Our canned beans are kind of bland. My >guess is that
>> the Brits found their taste for canned beans during WWII. It never
>> really caught on in Hawaii though Spam certainly >did. Funny how that
>> works out.

> Here on the mainland, I'd say Spam demand kinda fizzeled out during the
> 70s, but Hawai'ian pineapple as a pizza and pork topping sure caught on
> like wildfire!Â* Those King's Hawai'ian sweet rolls are OK, too.
>
> ===
>
> I always make pizza with spam and pineapple.Â* It's the only one my
> husband likes )))

Do you never cook anything just for yourself that you like? Or must it
always be what your husband likes?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 1:47:26 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/2/2020 3:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message
> >
> > I always make pizza with spam and pineapple.Â* It's the only one my
> > husband likes )))
> >

> Do you never cook anything just for yourself that you like? Or must it
> always be what your husband likes?
>
> Jill

It's called C O N T R O L. If she cooks something she likes she's no
longer under his thumb and he's lost control. But I'm glad to see
someone other than myself has noticed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:52:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 1:47:26 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 8/2/2020 3:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> >
>> > I always make pizza with spam and pineapple.* It's the only one my
>> > husband likes )))
>> >

>> Do you never cook anything just for yourself that you like? Or must it
>> always be what your husband likes?
>>
>> Jill
>>

>It's called C O N T R O L. If she cooks something she likes she's no
>longer under his thumb and he's lost control. But I'm glad to see
>someone other than myself has noticed.

Since I do all the cooking I see no problem in cooking things we both
like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:52:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 1:47:26 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 8/2/2020 3:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> >
>> > I always make pizza with spam and pineapple.Â* It's the only one my
>> > husband likes )))
>> >

>> Do you never cook anything just for yourself that you like? Or must it
>> always be what your husband likes?
>>
>> Jill
>>

>It's called C O N T R O L. If she cooks something she likes she's no
>longer under his thumb and he's lost control. But I'm glad to see
>someone other than myself has noticed.

You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
are like.

It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:52:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 1:47:26 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 8/2/2020 3:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> >
>> > I always make pizza with spam and pineapple. It's the only one my
>> > husband likes )))
>> >

>> Do you never cook anything just for yourself that you like? Or must it
>> always be what your husband likes?
>>
>> Jill
>>

>It's called C O N T R O L. If she cooks something she likes she's no
>longer under his thumb and he's lost control. But I'm glad to see
>someone other than myself has noticed.

You don't know that. You don't know what other people's relationships
are like.

It seems that people who live alone too long, get a really warped idea
of what relationships are like. Gary has that too. He always assumes
that I'm controlled by my wife and that she forbids me to eat meat

======

LOLOL They obviously don't have a clue about relationships LOL

Perhaps that is the reason they are alone lolol

https://www.avg.com