Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Full American Breakfast" (for Lunch+Dinner)

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 15:13:48 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Oh, pshew. I actually shelved this book in my breakfast section.
>> I was afraid it was in an overflow stack or box. Anyway, one can
>> just look at the dust flap of Country Scrapple: An American
>> Tradition by William Woys Weaver to see that this type of food
>> traces back at least to ancient Europe. The word "scrapple" is
>> another story.

> Oh, come now. All food is 'descended from 'ancient times'. But
> Scrapple as been Scrapple for almost 250 years, and nothing else! It
> doesn't even resemble panhaas in any form, it's closing [not even
> still living] relative.
>
> :-P
>
> Sheesh. Never get into an argument with a librarian or cataloger.
> Heh.
>
> -sw

I'm neither. I WAS volunteering at a library, but that didn't make me a
librarian. I do catalog my own books. "Once an editor always an
editor", although I try not to focus on that in groups etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote in message ...

You're disgusting. (And lest you think I don't know anything about
Sheldon, although I've been largely absent for year, I used to be quite
active on this group.)

=====

Yes you were and I am very glad to see you back I hope you are
staying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 9:55:39 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 04:00:02 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > I kind of wish you had put the quotes around "American" rather
> > than "Full American Breakfast".

> Next time you actually START a thread rather than participating in
> them ad nauseam with morons, then you can dictate your own subjects.
>
> > Scrapple just isn't all that popular.

> Neither is blood pudding. So what's yer point?
>
> -sw

My point is that portraying scrapple as part of a "Full American
Breakfast" (even though it was a play on a Full English Breakfast)
is misleading.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 9:55:44 PM UTC-4, Jean B. wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I wonder why. Fried scrapple is delicious!

> > Because it's largely unknown outside its native region. I'd heard
> > of it, but it's just not a thing here. It's a regional delicacy.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> That didn't stop my mother (b. in Nebraska, raised in Detroit) from
> serving it. It's pretty close to fried mush and polenta, just tastier
> and more proteinous.

Doesn't your family have a Pennsylvania connection, or am I
misremembering it?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2020 7:13 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 9:55:44 PM UTC-4, Jean B. wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Because it's largely unknown outside its native region. I'd heard
>>> of it, but it's just not a thing here. It's a regional delicacy.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> That didn't stop my mother (b. in Nebraska, raised in Detroit) from
>> serving it. It's pretty close to fried mush and polenta, just tastier
>> and more proteinous.

> Doesn't your family have a Pennsylvania connection, or am I
> misremembering it?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I, too, associate scrapple with Pennsylvania. My dad (born in Indiana,
PA) told me he loved scrapple. I never got to try it and probably never
will. I wouldn't be adverse to trying it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 7:39:19 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/26/2020 7:13 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> That didn't stop my mother (b. in Nebraska, raised in Detroit) from
> >> serving it. It's pretty close to fried mush and polenta, just tastier
> >> and more proteinous.

> > Doesn't your family have a Pennsylvania connection, or am I
> > misremembering it?
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I, too, associate scrapple with Pennsylvania. My dad (born in Indiana,
> PA) told me he loved scrapple. I never got to try it and probably never
> will. I wouldn't be adverse to trying it.
>
> Jill

If it's the traditional recipe, made with "scraps", I'd give it a pass.
Otherwise it just seems like an adulterated (with grain products) sausage.
I'm not British. I want sausage to be all meat.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2020 8:31 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 7:39:19 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Doesn't your family have a Pennsylvania connection, or am I
>>> misremembering it?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I, too, associate scrapple with Pennsylvania. My dad (born in Indiana,
>> PA) told me he loved scrapple. I never got to try it and probably never
>> will. I wouldn't be adverse to trying it.
>>
>> Jill

> If it's the traditional recipe, made with "scraps", I'd give it a pass.
> Otherwise it just seems like an adulterated (with grain products) sausage.
> I'm not British. I want sausage to be all meat.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Growing up in PA it was common. You don't waste food so yes, it has the
less than prime cuts in it, same as most sausage. Many diners in the
region offer it too. In PA it would be rare to find grits.

I still buy it occasionally. I'm going to fry up the remainder of the
package in a few minutes. I put a dab of ketchup too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2020 9:26 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/26/2020 8:31 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I, too, associate scrapple with Pennsylvania.Â* My dad (born in Indiana,
>>> PA) told me he loved scrapple.Â* I never got to try it and probably never
>>> will.Â* I wouldn't be adverse to trying it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> If it's the traditional recipe, made with "scraps", I'd give it a pass.
>> Otherwise it just seems like an adulterated (with grain products)
>> sausage.
>> I'm not British.Â* I want sausage to be all meat.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Growing up in PA it was common.Â* You don't waste food so yes, it has the
> less than prime cuts in it, same as most sausage.Â* Many diners in the
> region offer it too. In PA it would be rare to find grits.

Don't forget, too, my dad grew up during the Depression. Grandma was of
German descent and lived in Pennsylvania Dutch country. Scrapple would
have been a way for her to stretch food for the meal. She had four
children and a husband to feed. She probably made it from scratch - it
was farming country after all. Cornmeal was commonly used. Grits are a
whole different discussion.

> I still buy it occasionally.Â* I'm going to fry up the remainder of the
> package in a few minutes.Â* I put a dab of ketchup too.

Enjoy!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 09:49:10 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

snip

>> Growing up in PA it was common.* You don't waste food so yes, it has the
>> less than prime cuts in it, same as most sausage.* Many diners in the
>> region offer it too. In PA it would be rare to find grits.
>>

>Don't forget, too, my dad grew up during the Depression. Grandma was of
>German descent and lived in Pennsylvania Dutch country. Scrapple would
>have been a way for her to stretch food for the meal. She had four
>children and a husband to feed. She probably made it from scratch - it
>was farming country after all. Cornmeal was commonly used. Grits are a
>whole different discussion.
>
>> I still buy it occasionally.* I'm going to fry up the remainder of the
>> package in a few minutes.* I put a dab of ketchup too.

>Enjoy!
>
>Jill

You've made good points. People looked at things differently. I don't
think folks thought of ears, cheeks, snout as anything bad. They were
just scraps of something of value. We don't find it disgusting when
we make soup using chicken, turkey or ham bones. We eat sausage that
is stuffed into intestines.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 11:27:10 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 09:49:10 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> snip
> >>>
> >> Growing up in PA it was common.Â* You don't waste food so yes, it has the
> >> less than prime cuts in it, same as most sausage.Â* Many diners in the
> >> region offer it too. In PA it would be rare to find grits.
> >>

> >Don't forget, too, my dad grew up during the Depression. Grandma was of
> >German descent and lived in Pennsylvania Dutch country. Scrapple would
> >have been a way for her to stretch food for the meal. She had four
> >children and a husband to feed. She probably made it from scratch - it
> >was farming country after all. Cornmeal was commonly used. Grits are a
> >whole different discussion.
> >
> >> I still buy it occasionally.Â* I'm going to fry up the remainder of the
> >> package in a few minutes.Â* I put a dab of ketchup too.

> >Enjoy!
> >
> >Jill

> You've made good points. People looked at things differently. I don't
> think folks thought of ears, cheeks, snout as anything bad. They were
> just scraps of something of value. We don't find it disgusting when
> we make soup using chicken, turkey or ham bones. We eat sausage that
> is stuffed into intestines.
> Janet US

My grandmother was a jazz baby who spent most of her life in the
Detroit suburbs (although it probably was just a small town about
4 miles north of Detroit when she was a kid). Her mother kept chickens
in the yard but my grandmother worked at a department store and
bought her groceries at the supermarket. Although she occasionally
cooked liver, I think she would have left the other innards to
be sold to the "coloreds". The exception was (unsurprisingly)
chicken and turkey gizzard, which she boiled in salted water until
tender and then ate. My mother got the liver and I took the heart.

I use poultry bones for stock, but I always discard the spine. I
find it adds a musty or bloody flavor that I dislike.

Cindy hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 10:39:48 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I use poultry bones for stock, but I always discard the spine. I
> find it adds a musty or bloody flavor that I dislike.

I agree 100%, including the neck part of the spine. The really nasty thing is the kidneys. Those always get removed and garbage disposaled.

> Cindy hamilton

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here in St. Louis, the snout are called snoots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZMTs3jSrk
http://www.bigmamasbbq.com/index.php...3&It emid=169

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 15:53:09 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 10:27:10 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 09:49:10 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>> snip

>> >Don't forget, too, my dad grew up during the Depression. Grandma was of
>> >German descent and lived in Pennsylvania Dutch country. Scrapple would
>> >have been a way for her to stretch food for the meal. She had four
>> >children and a husband to feed. She probably made it from scratch - it
>> >was farming country after all. Cornmeal was commonly used. Grits are a
>> >whole different discussion.

>> >Enjoy!
>> >
>> >Jill

>> You've made good points. People looked at things differently. I don't
>> think folks thought of ears, cheeks, snout as anything bad. They were
>> just scraps of something of value. We don't find it disgusting when
>> we make soup using chicken, turkey or ham bones. We eat sausage that
>> is stuffed into intestines.

>Here in St. Louis, the snout are called snoots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZMTs3jSrk
>http://www.bigmamasbbq.com/index.php...3&It emid=169
>
>> Janet US

>--Bryan

they surely do. I've never heard that before.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 05:29:10 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 6:00:06 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> I kind of wish you had put the quotes around "American" rather
> >> than "Full American Breakfast".
> >>
> >> Scrapple just isn't all that popular.

> > Neither are beans for breakfast in most of the USA, but Steve is in
> > Texas.
> >
> > A more typical full American breakfast is just eggs, fried
> > potatoes, buttered toast, bacon or breakfast sausage, and a glass
> > of orange or grapefruit juice.

> This was a mini take-off of a "Full English Breakfast" which
> includes baked beans. While scrapple and leavened biscuits are one
> of the few 100% American inventions on the breakfast plate.
>
> Posting pictures on here is like pulling teeth. I'm the last of a
> dying breed (who actually cooks on this group).
>
> -sw

Steve, stop. Many of us DO cook and you know it.

A typical truely 'full' southern breakfast would have biscuits *or*
corn pone/corn bread, eggs, ham *or* bacon, and grits *or* hash browns.
If they added pancakes, it would be occasional and not bigger than 3
inches across. If they were bigger, they'd skip the rest of it and make
'honkin big ones' to fill a plate. Ok, maybe a side of grits.... ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 "Jean B." wrote:
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I kind of wish you had put the quotes around "American" rather
> >> than "Full American Breakfast".
> > >
> >> Scrapple just isn't all that popular.
> > >
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > I wonder why. Fried scrapple is delicious!

> Southerners loved scrapple. They'd eat all I made in no time,
> especially with grits and runny fried eggs. This was during the early
> 60s. Mine wasn't like home made as the Navy didn't have all the
> offal.

What? We've never heard of that in the south.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 9:34:39 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> A typical truely 'full' southern breakfast would have biscuits *or*
> corn pone/corn bread, eggs, ham *or* bacon, and grits *or* hash browns.
> If they added pancakes, it would be occasional and not bigger than 3
> inches across. If they were bigger, they'd skip the rest of it and make
> 'honkin big ones' to fill a plate. Ok, maybe a side of grits.... ;-)

I've only see breakfasts like that at restaurants and/or truck stops. I was
15 years old before I ever saw or tasted grits and that was in Arkansas. My
brother and I were both puzzled what that white mass was on our plates and of
course I blurted out "What's that??" My dad said shut up and eat it. I
wasn't impressed then and still am not impressed with grits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 21:34:31 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 05:29:10 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons wrote:

>> > Neither are beans for breakfast in most of the USA, but Steve is in
>> > Texas.
>> >
>> > A more typical full American breakfast is just eggs, fried
>> > potatoes, buttered toast, bacon or breakfast sausage, and a glass
>> > of orange or grapefruit juice.

>> This was a mini take-off of a "Full English Breakfast" which
>> includes baked beans. While scrapple and leavened biscuits are one
>> of the few 100% American inventions on the breakfast plate.
>>
>> Posting pictures on here is like pulling teeth. I'm the last of a
>> dying breed (who actually cooks on this group).
>>
>> -sw

>Steve, stop. Many of us DO cook and you know it.
>
>A typical truely 'full' southern breakfast would have biscuits *or*
>corn pone/corn bread, eggs, ham *or* bacon, and grits *or* hash browns.

Northerners eat hash browns, most true southerners prefer home fries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 20:56:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 9:34:39 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> A typical truely 'full' southern breakfast would have biscuits *or*
>> corn pone/corn bread, eggs, ham *or* bacon, and grits *or* hash browns.
>> If they added pancakes, it would be occasional and not bigger than 3
>> inches across. If they were bigger, they'd skip the rest of it and make
>> 'honkin big ones' to fill a plate. Ok, maybe a side of grits.... ;-)
>>

>I've only see breakfasts like that at restaurants and/or truck stops. I was
>15 years old before I ever saw or tasted grits and that was in Arkansas. My
>brother and I were both puzzled what that white mass was on our plates and of
>course I blurted out "What's that??" My dad said shut up and eat it. I
>wasn't impressed then and still am not impressed with grits.

Grits and cream of rice are indistingishable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 8:58:16 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 21:34:31 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Sqwertz wrote:

> >> This was a mini take-off of a "Full English Breakfast" which
> >> includes baked beans. While scrapple and leavened biscuits are one
> >> of the few 100% American inventions on the breakfast plate.
> >>
> >> Posting pictures on here is like pulling teeth. I'm the last of a
> >> dying breed (who actually cooks on this group).
> >>
> >> -sw

> >Steve, stop. Many of us DO cook and you know it.
> >
> >A typical truely 'full' southern breakfast would have biscuits *or*
> >corn pone/corn bread, eggs, ham *or* bacon, and grits *or* hash browns.

> Northerners eat hash browns, most true southerners prefer home fries.

Really? I can get home fries at any number of diners up here. We make
them at home once in a while.

I generally prefer hash browns. Greater surface-area-to-volume ratio
for browning. Mmmm. Crispy potatoes.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 06:04:02 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 8:58:16 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>> >Steve, stop. Many of us DO cook and you know it.
>> >
>> >A typical truely 'full' southern breakfast would have biscuits *or*
>> >corn pone/corn bread, eggs, ham *or* bacon, and grits *or* hash browns.

>> Northerners eat hash browns, most true southerners prefer home fries.

>Really? I can get home fries at any number of diners up here. We make
>them at home once in a while.
>
>I generally prefer hash browns. Greater surface-area-to-volume ratio
>for browning. Mmmm. Crispy potatoes.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Hash Browns are for those who can't cook. Hash Browns = TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 9:10:41 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 06:04:02 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> Northerners eat hash browns, most true southerners prefer home fries.

> >Really? I can get home fries at any number of diners up here. We make
> >them at home once in a while.
> >
> >I generally prefer hash browns. Greater surface-area-to-volume ratio
> >for browning. Mmmm. Crispy potatoes.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Hash Browns are for those who can't cook. Hash Browns = TIAD.

Good to hear your opinion. It's so rare that we do.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 8:01:32 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 20:56:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I've only see breakfasts like that at restaurants and/or truck stops. I was
> >15 years old before I ever saw or tasted grits and that was in Arkansas. My
> >brother and I were both puzzled what that white mass was on our plates and of
> >course I blurted out "What's that??" My dad said shut up and eat it. I
> >wasn't impressed then and still am not impressed with grits.

> Grits and cream of rice are indistingishable.

Fall and hit your head?

Grits and cream of rice are entirely two different foods and yes, they are
distinguishable from each other unless you've fallen and hit your head.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 8:10:41 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 06:04:02 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >> Northerners eat hash browns, most true southerners prefer home fries.

> >Really? I can get home fries at any number of diners up here. We make
> >them at home once in a while.
> >
> >I generally prefer hash browns. Greater surface-area-to-volume ratio
> >for browning. Mmmm. Crispy potatoes.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Hash Browns are for those who can't cook. Hash Browns = TIAD.

Sit down, this is going to come as a great shock.

Hash brown, home fries, and even cubed potatoes are available here in all
sorts of different restaurants of chains and mom and pop "meat and three"
establishments. Just depends on what the restaurant wants to present on
their menu.

Psst: Home fries and hash browns are the same just a different cut. Just
because y*o*u don't like hash browns is no need to disparage what someone
else likes. Hash browns do get crispier as they cook than home fries or
cubed potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 10:55:48 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 8:01:32 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 20:56:53 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I've only see breakfasts like that at restaurants and/or truck stops. I was
>> >15 years old before I ever saw or tasted grits and that was in Arkansas. My
>> >brother and I were both puzzled what that white mass was on our plates and of
>> >course I blurted out "What's that??" My dad said shut up and eat it. I
>> >wasn't impressed then and still am not impressed with grits.

>> Grits and cream of rice are indistingishable.
>>

>Fall and hit your head?
>
>Grits and cream of rice are entirely two different foods and yes, they are
>distinguishable from each other unless you've fallen and hit your head.

I've cooked and eaten both, there's no real difference except how one
seasons or adds ingredients to them. They are both an equally starchy
hot cereal with very equal texture... neither is very nutritious or
even contains much fiber. I think the best way to eat either is to
place into a pan and set in the fridge to congeal over night, then cut
into squares and fried... both are poor peoples vittles, both equally
filling for cheap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 11:02:58 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 8:10:41 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

>> >Really? I can get home fries at any number of diners up here. We make
>> >them at home once in a while.
>> >
>> >I generally prefer hash browns. Greater surface-area-to-volume ratio
>> >for browning. Mmmm. Crispy potatoes.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> Hash Browns are for those who can't cook. Hash Browns = TIAD.
>>

>Sit down, this is going to come as a great shock.
>
>Hash brown, home fries, and even cubed potatoes are available here in all
>sorts of different restaurants of chains and mom and pop "meat and three"
>establishments. Just depends on what the restaurant wants to present on
>their menu.
>
>Psst: Home fries and hash browns are the same just a different cut. Just
>because y*o*u don't like hash browns is no need to disparage what someone
>else likes. Hash browns do get crispier as they cook than home fries or
>cubed potatoes.

Hash browns are plain shredded potatoes fried. Home fries contain
diced potatoes along with an assortment of many other ingredients... I
find home fries much tastier. To me hash browns are just French Fries
in a different format. I never said I don't like hash browns, I like
home fries better. Actually I much, MUCH prefer Latkes... and a
zillion times better is potato kugel. And best of all are mickies...
where's my no-legs friend? I don't like mashed, mashed potatoes are
compost... other than mashed my least favorite are French fries, fast
food filler... what do the Frogs know from potatoes, NOTHING!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2020 9:16 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 9:10:41 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 06:04:02 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Really? I can get home fries at any number of diners up here. We make
>>> them at home once in a while.
>>>
>>> I generally prefer hash browns. Greater surface-area-to-volume ratio
>>> for browning. Mmmm. Crispy potatoes.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Hash Browns are for those who can't cook. Hash Browns = TIAD.

> Good to hear your opinion. It's so rare that we do.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL hash browns aren't that different from home fries. Potatoes aren't
all that difficult to fry, doesn't matter if they're shredded, sliced or
diced.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 3:00:30 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Hash browns are plain shredded potatoes fried. Home fries contain
> diced potatoes along with an assortment of many other ingredients.

Not necessarily. Either one can be gussied up with additional ingredients.
If someone wants onion and/or bell pepper, etc. in their hash browns the
potato police are not going to arrest them. Likewise, if someone doesn't
want the added goodies in their home fries they'll not be tortured with
potato peelers. (aka vegetable peeler)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 15:05:07 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 3:00:30 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> Hash browns are plain shredded potatoes fried. Home fries contain
>> diced potatoes along with an assortment of many other ingredients.
>>

>Not necessarily. Either one can be gussied up with additional ingredients.
>If someone wants onion and/or bell pepper, etc. in their hash browns the
>potato police are not going to arrest them. Likewise, if someone doesn't
>want the added goodies in their home fries they'll not be tortured with
>potato peelers. (aka vegetable peeler)

gussy up verb

gussied up; gussying up; gussies up
Definition of gussy up

transitive verb
dress up, embellish
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gussy%20up

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2020 10:37 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> I wonder why. Fried scrapple is delicious!

>> Southerners loved scrapple. They'd eat all I made in no time,
>> especially with grits and runny fried eggs. This was during the early
>> 60s. Mine wasn't like home made as the Navy didn't have all the
>> offal.

> What? We've never heard of that in the south.

Please don't try to let Sheldon lend his misguided wisdom to what
everyone in the South eats. He has no clue and his having cooked on a
Navy ship 50 years ago isn't a representation of what anyone in the
South actually eats.

I only heard about Scrapple because my father was born and grew up in
Pennsylvania during the Depression. He didn't eat Scrapple on any Navy
ships.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 5:10:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> gussy up verb
>
> gussied up; gussying up; gussies up
> Definition of gussy up
>
> transitive verb
> dress up, embellish
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gussy%20up

Did you learn a new word?!?

I used to get gussied up to hit the town on Friday and Saturday nights.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 16:02:58 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 5:10:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> gussy up verb
>>
>> gussied up; gussying up; gussies up
>> Definition of gussy up
>>
>> transitive verb
>> dress up, embellish
>> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gussy%20up
>>

>Did you learn a new word?!?

Yes.

>I used to get gussied up to hit the town on Friday and Saturday nights.

I hope you didn't also get hussied up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 5:39:31 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> I wondered what was the point? In later years I discovered Lakeside
> brand yellow grits which actually taste like corn. More like polenta,
> really. I don't know if you can find that brand of grits in the
> Nashville area but it sure changed my mind about what I knew to be grits.
>
> Jill

I will look at Kroger and Walmart this week. They're available through
mail order from their website and just a quick check it appears the shipping
was free as well.

We had an old farts breakfast one year at the Loveless Cafe and they served
grits. They were to die for!!!! Most restaurants just serve the wallpaper
paste variety. UGH.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 6:05:46 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 16:02:58 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I used to get gussied up to hit the town on Friday and Saturday nights.

> I hope you didn't also get hussied up.

Nope.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I used to, but it took me almost a lifetime to understand that women don't like being approached by drunk men.
So, I drink less and run around the track more.
(change is tough)