Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dover Sole!

On Wed, 20 May 2020 13:24:39 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>>> When my mother's wringer washer finally gave up and died my dad said
>>> it was
>>> time for an automatic washer.* No, no, no!* That contraption is not
>>> coming
>>> in this house!* I think after the first full load of clothes and how
>>> quickly
>>> it did its' job and the clothes were clean she was in heaven.
>>>

>> House work has changed over the years.* Laundry used to be an all day
>> job when the machines were manually operated. These days you can pop a
>> load of laundry into the machine, add detergent push a button and come
>> back when the machine stops. Take the laundry out and put it in the
>> dryer and come back in an hour.* Lucretia would not approve of my
>> mother's way of doing laundry.* The laundry room was downstairs so she
>> went over to the rec room and watched TV.

>Apparently nowadays you can start your SMART washing machine using an
>app on your phone. Why you didn't start the washer before you left the
>house is still a mystery...
>
>Jill

I never run the washer or dryer without being home and closeby... at
times washer fill hoses burst and dryers have lint fires.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 12:50:39 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I never run the washer or dryer without being home and closeby... at
> times washer fill hoses burst and dryers have lint fires.

I don't go off anywhere and leave either one running. But I do use those
stainless steel wrapped water hoses for the washing machine. They will
not guarantee them to not burst as there has only been one incident of
them actually failing. But it's the only time I've read about one bursting.

The dryer is not left to run with no one in attendance either. But I am
scrupulous about cleaning that lint filter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 1:28:45 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> I was merely commenting about the people who think they need an "app"
> for everything. Common sense would tell you, when you put the laundry
> in the washer, add detergent and start the washer. Who the hell needs
> an app for that?!
>
> Jill

Yes, that's true. I watch "This Old House" and quite frequently they are
introducing appliances and such that comes with an app. There's so many
now it's a wonder their phones even have memory left.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> I never run the washer or dryer without being home and closeby... at
> times washer fill hoses burst and dryers have lint fires.

Whenever I go off for the day, everything is turned off except
for the fridge. No lights, fans, heat/ac. Not even a crockpot
to slowly cook your meal while you are at work.

IMO, whenever you leave, always consider something
unplanned might happen and you won't get back home for
many days. Just my old Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared.
(for anything that could happen)

And my personal interpretation of that:
If you prepare for the worse case scenario,
you'll always be prepared.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 9:14:14 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > I never run the washer or dryer without being home and closeby... at
> > times washer fill hoses burst and dryers have lint fires.

> Whenever I go off for the day, everything is turned off except
> for the fridge. No lights, fans, heat/ac. Not even a crockpot
> to slowly cook your meal while you are at work.
>
> IMO, whenever you leave, always consider something
> unplanned might happen and you won't get back home for
> many days. Just my old Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared.
> (for anything that could happen)

Up here in the Great White North, if you turned off your heat on
a winter day and didn't come back for many days, you'd return
to frozen and burst plumbing pipes. And "many" might be a
relatively small number. I'd rather leave the heat on.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2020 08:30:54 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 9:14:14 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> > I never run the washer or dryer without being home and closeby... at
>> > times washer fill hoses burst and dryers have lint fires.

>> Whenever I go off for the day, everything is turned off except
>> for the fridge. No lights, fans, heat/ac. Not even a crockpot
>> to slowly cook your meal while you are at work.
>>
>> IMO, whenever you leave, always consider something
>> unplanned might happen and you won't get back home for
>> many days. Just my old Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared.
>> (for anything that could happen)

>Up here in the Great White North, if you turned off your heat on
>a winter day and didn't come back for many days, you'd return
>to frozen and burst plumbing pipes. And "many" might be a
>relatively small number. I'd rather leave the heat on.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Snow birds here do turn off their heat for the entire winter while
they are living in the south, however they shut off the water main,
drain their pipes, and add antifreeze to drains and toilets. The
intelligent ones use a propane heater with it's thermostat set for
40ºF. It's not smart to allow a house to freeze or sheetrock will get
destroyed. I think only an imbecile would shut their heat for many
days during winter, I'd not shut off my heat in winter for one
hour.... I have a ventless propane heater that has a thermostat and
needs no electric or chimney... I bought it in case of a power outage
during winter, it neats the entire house. Ventless gas heaters cost
very little, about $200 installed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2020 08:30:54 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 9:14:14 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> > I never run the washer or dryer without being home and closeby... at
>> > times washer fill hoses burst and dryers have lint fires.

>> Whenever I go off for the day, everything is turned off except
>> for the fridge. No lights, fans, heat/ac. Not even a crockpot
>> to slowly cook your meal while you are at work.
>>
>> IMO, whenever you leave, always consider something
>> unplanned might happen and you won't get back home for
>> many days. Just my old Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared.
>> (for anything that could happen)

>Up here in the Great White North, if you turned off your heat on
>a winter day and didn't come back for many days, you'd return
>to frozen and burst plumbing pipes. And "many" might be a
>relatively small number. I'd rather leave the heat on.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Correct, here if you are away in deep winter the insurance requires
that you have someone coming in to check or they won't pay for water
damage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2020 18:53:28 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 May 2020 08:30:54 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>Up here in the Great White North, if you turned off your heat on
>>a winter day and didn't come back for many days, you'd return
>>to frozen and burst plumbing pipes. And "many" might be a
>>relatively small number. I'd rather leave the heat on.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>Correct, here if you are away in deep winter the insurance requires
>that you have someone coming in to check or they won't pay for water
>damage.

I think it's really great of you people to live in those barren lands.
Carry on and stay warm!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-21 5:53 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 2020 08:30:54 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> IMO, whenever you leave, always consider something
>>> unplanned might happen and you won't get back home for
>>> many days. Just my old Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared.
>>> (for anything that could happen)

>> Up here in the Great White North, if you turned off your heat on
>> a winter day and didn't come back for many days, you'd return
>> to frozen and burst plumbing pipes. And "many" might be a
>> relatively small number. I'd rather leave the heat on.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Correct, here if you are away in deep winter the insurance requires
> that you have someone coming in to check or they won't pay for water
> damage.

Same here. You have to have someone come at least once every three days
or you are out of luck for damage from frozen and burst pipes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2020 12:01 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Same here. You have to have someone come at least once every three days
> or you are out of luck for damage from frozen and burst pipes.

Our insurance requires maintaining a minimum temperature of 13C.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2020 09:12:14 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> I never run the washer or dryer without being home and closeby... at
>> times washer fill hoses burst and dryers have lint fires.

>Whenever I go off for the day, everything is turned off except
>for the fridge. No lights, fans, heat/ac. Not even a crockpot
>to slowly cook your meal while you are at work.
>
>IMO, whenever you leave, always consider something
>unplanned might happen and you won't get back home for
>many days. Just my old Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared.
> (for anything that could happen)
>
>And my personal interpretation of that:
>If you prepare for the worse case scenario,
>you'll always be prepared.

I see no point in turning off the electric, I don't need to return and
reset all the clocks. In summer I leave the A/C on, it costs more to
cool the entire house than what's saved in electric turning it off.
Central A/C is on a thermostat, if we're gone for a day or two the
thermostat gets reset a few degrees higher. And we have LED night
lights that use .8W and shut off in day time. All our outdoor
lighting is LED, on at dusk off at dawn and very low wattage... a 10W
LED flood gives the light of a 150W incandescent. Most all our indoor
lighting has already been changed to LED. When an incandescent bulb
burns out it gets changed to LED. When we're not home we don't want
the house in darkness like no one is home. There are no street lights
here so we installed our own outdoor lighting... LED lighting is very
inexpensive.