Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default unofficial rfc survey: filling ice cube trays

On 23:24 17 Dec 2019, tert in seattle > wrote:

> *** UN-official RFC SURVEY ***
>
> How do you fill your ice cube trays?
>
> A) meticulously fill each cube one by one, never overfilling
>
> B) fill four cubes at a time, repeat twice, tilt back & forth to
> even things out
>
> C) move the tray around trying to sort of fill it evenly but not
> actually giving a shit and overfilling is perfectly acceptable
>
> D) cascade
>
> E) I dislike ice.
>
> F) other

(D) for me.

Why are Americans so keen on ice in drinks? With a few exceptions, such
as cocktails, I rarely put ice into any of my drinks and much prefer them
that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pamela wrote:
> Why are Americans so keen on ice in drinks?

Only time I ever use ice is during the summer when the
tap water is a bit too warm. I'll just put one cube
in a 20oz glass to turn down the temp a bit.

And for tert: I fill the tray completely until it
overruns then tip it a bit to knock off the excess.

Do you remember those way old metal icecube trays?
I do. Fill them up then lift that handle to break
them loose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 5:04:28 AM UTC-5, Pamela wrote:
> On 23:24 17 Dec 2019, tert in seattle > wrote:
>

> > *** UN-official RFC SURVEY ***
> >
> > How do you fill your ice cube trays?
> >
> > A) meticulously fill each cube one by one, never overfilling
> >
> > B) fill four cubes at a time, repeat twice, tilt back & forth to
> > even things out
> >
> > C) move the tray around trying to sort of fill it evenly but not
> > actually giving a shit and overfilling is perfectly acceptable
> >
> > D) cascade
> >
> > E) I dislike ice.
> >
> > F) other

> (D) for me.
>
> Why are Americans so keen on ice in drinks? With a few exceptions, such
> as cocktails, I rarely put ice into any of my drinks and much prefer them
> that way.

I don't know why we're so keen on ice in drinks. My idea of the perfect
glass of water is to fill the glass with ice, then fill the spaces between
with water.

Once the ice gets a little softened, I like to chew on it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15:54 18 Dec 2019, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 5:04:28 AM UTC-5, Pamela wrote:
>> On 23:24 17 Dec 2019, tert in seattle > wrote:
>>

>> > *** UN-official RFC SURVEY ***
>> >
>> > How do you fill your ice cube trays?
>> >
>> > A) meticulously fill each cube one by one, never overfilling
>> >
>> > B) fill four cubes at a time, repeat twice, tilt back & forth to
>> > even things out
>> >
>> > C) move the tray around trying to sort of fill it evenly but not
>> > actually giving a shit and overfilling is perfectly acceptable
>> >
>> > D) cascade
>> >
>> > E) I dislike ice.
>> >
>> > F) other

>> (D) for me.
>>
>> Why are Americans so keen on ice in drinks? With a few exceptions,
>> such as cocktails, I rarely put ice into any of my drinks and much
>> prefer them that way.

> I don't know why we're so keen on ice in drinks. My idea of the perfect
> glass of water is to fill the glass with ice, then fill the spaces
> between with water.
>
> Once the ice gets a little softened, I like to chew on it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's okay if you're drinking water but any other drink gets diluted.

Presumably fast food chains and bars do that to save on their costs but
surely not for taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 11:25:25 AM UTC-5, Pamela wrote:
> On 15:54 18 Dec 2019, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> >> (D) for me.
> >>
> >> Why are Americans so keen on ice in drinks? With a few exceptions,
> >> such as cocktails, I rarely put ice into any of my drinks and much
> >> prefer them that way.

> > I don't know why we're so keen on ice in drinks. My idea of the perfect
> > glass of water is to fill the glass with ice, then fill the spaces
> > between with water.
> >
> > Once the ice gets a little softened, I like to chew on it.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> That's okay if you're drinking water but any other drink gets diluted.

I rarely drink anything but water.

> Presumably fast food chains and bars do that to save on their costs but
> surely not for taste.

Ice is the most expensive part of the beverage in a fast food restaurant.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2019 11:25 AM, Pamela wrote:
> On 15:54 18 Dec 2019, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>>> (D) for me.
>>>
>>> Why are Americans so keen on ice in drinks? With a few exceptions,
>>> such as cocktails, I rarely put ice into any of my drinks and much
>>> prefer them that way.

>> I don't know why we're so keen on ice in drinks. My idea of the perfect
>> glass of water is to fill the glass with ice, then fill the spaces
>> between with water.
>>
>> Once the ice gets a little softened, I like to chew on it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> That's okay if you're drinking water but any other drink gets diluted.
>
> Presumably fast food chains and bars do that to save on their costs but
> surely not for taste.

Dilution is why I use it for soft drinks. Rarely drink soda but I
prefer to take a warm bottle and pour it over ice. It releases a lot of
carbonation and cuts the overly sweet taste. I will never drink
sparkling water, I don't like the carbonation.

I'd never take soda from a refrigerator and drink it. I do with water
though. Water is still my beverage of choice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-18 11:25 a.m., Pamela wrote:
> On 15:54 18 Dec 2019, Cindy Hamilton >
>> Once the ice gets a little softened, I like to chew on it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> That's okay if you're drinking water but any other drink gets diluted.
>
> Presumably fast food chains and bars do that to save on their costs but
> surely not for taste.

It's a little odd that they have those machines that are carefully
calibrated to dispense a certain amount of syrup to a certain amount of
carbonated water to get that perfectly designed flavour and then add all
that ice to water it down.

I don't often consume soft drinks, and when I do, I rarely add ice. I
do like ice with mixed drinks. I like a lot of ice with gin and tonic. I
usually have a few ice cubes with a Manhattan but I tend to finish the
drink before the ice is melted too much.

I learned a valuable lesson from Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
He told Mary that the best way to drink scotch is to get a nice scotch,
pour a good sized shot of it into a nice glass with a few ice cubes.
You swirl it around and have a sip. You do that a few times and when it
is just right you knock it back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:04:28 AM UTC-6, Pamela wrote:

> Why are Americans so keen on ice in drinks? With a few exceptions, such
> as cocktails, I rarely put ice into any of my drinks and much prefer them
> that way.

Because we don't care for tepid tea in a glass, or water, or colas, or
lemonade that is the temperature of what comes out of your faucet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/18/2019 11:25 AM, Pamela wrote:
>> On 15:54* 18 Dec 2019, Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't know why we're so keen on ice in drinks.* My idea of the
>>> perfect
>>> glass of water is to fill the glass with ice, then fill the spaces
>>> between with water.
>>>
>>> Once the ice gets a little softened, I like to chew on it.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> That's okay if you're drinking water but any other drink gets
>> diluted.
>>
>> Presumably fast food chains and bars do that to save on their
>> costs but
>> surely not for taste.
>>

> Dilution is why I use it for soft drinks.* Rarely drink soda but I
> prefer to take a warm bottle and pour it over ice.* It releases a
> lot of carbonation and cuts the overly sweet taste.* I will never
> drink sparkling water, I don't like the carbonation.
>
> I'd never take soda from a refrigerator and drink it.* I do with
> water though.* Water is still my beverage of choice.

You're like my uncle was. When we'd get soft drinks, he always shook
his up good, then slowly opened it to release the carbonation. I
guess he just liked flat soda.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18:36 18 Dec 2019, Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 2019-12-18 11:25 a.m., Pamela wrote:
>> On 15:54 18 Dec 2019, Cindy Hamilton >
>>> Once the ice gets a little softened, I like to chew on it.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> That's okay if you're drinking water but any other drink gets diluted.
>>
>> Presumably fast food chains and bars do that to save on their costs but
>> surely not for taste.
>>

> It's a little odd that they have those machines that are carefully
> calibrated to dispense a certain amount of syrup to a certain amount of
> carbonated water to get that perfectly designed flavour and then add all
> that ice to water it down.
>
> I don't often consume soft drinks, and when I do, I rarely add ice. I
> do like ice with mixed drinks. I like a lot of ice with gin and tonic. I
> usually have a few ice cubes with a Manhattan but I tend to finish the
> drink before the ice is melted too much.
>
> I learned a valuable lesson from Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
> He told Mary that the best way to drink scotch is to get a nice scotch,
> pour a good sized shot of it into a nice glass with a few ice cubes.
> You swirl it around and have a sip. You do that a few times and when it
> is just right you knock it back.

I can't really understand the appeal of Scotch on the Rocks. You may as well
take some very chilled still water and dilute the Scotch with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 19:29:31 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 18:36 18 Dec 2019, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> It's a little odd that they have those machines that are carefully
>> calibrated to dispense a certain amount of syrup to a certain amount of
>> carbonated water to get that perfectly designed flavour and then add all
>> that ice to water it down.
>>
>> I don't often consume soft drinks, and when I do, I rarely add ice. I
>> do like ice with mixed drinks. I like a lot of ice with gin and tonic. I
>> usually have a few ice cubes with a Manhattan but I tend to finish the
>> drink before the ice is melted too much.
>>
>> I learned a valuable lesson from Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
>> He told Mary that the best way to drink scotch is to get a nice scotch,
>> pour a good sized shot of it into a nice glass with a few ice cubes.
>> You swirl it around and have a sip. You do that a few times and when it
>> is just right you knock it back.

>I can't really understand the appeal of Scotch on the Rocks. You may as well
>take some very chilled still water and dilute the Scotch with it.

Does that make me a bad person?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-18 2:29 p.m., Pamela wrote:
> On 18:36 18 Dec 2019, Dave Smith > wrote:
>

>> I learned a valuable lesson from Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore
>> Show. He told Mary that the best way to drink scotch is to get a
>> nice scotch, pour a good sized shot of it into a nice glass with a
>> few ice cubes. You swirl it around and have a sip. You do that a
>> few times and when it is just right you knock it back.

> I can't really understand the appeal of Scotch on the Rocks. You may
> as well take some very chilled still water and dilute the Scotch with
> it.

Lou's advice was pretty good. Good scotch should be drunk with just a
little water. He said to swirl it around and sip it, and when it just
right you knock it back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:04:28 AM UTC-6, Pamela wrote:
> >
> > Why are Americans so keen on ice in drinks? With a few exceptions, such
> > as cocktails, I rarely put ice into any of my drinks and much prefer them
> > that way.
> >

> Because we don't care for tepid tea in a glass, or water, or colas, or
> lemonade that is the temperature of what comes out of your faucet.

Don't bother "explaining", Joan...trying to explain the use of ice or air conditioning to UKer's/Europeans is a FUTILE effort...they are seemingly stuck in c. 1900 or so when it comes to the 'temperature control' of one's environment...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:45:57 -0800 (PST), GM

>> On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:04:28 AM UTC-6, Pamela wrote:
>> >
>> > Why are Americans so keen on ice in drinks? With a few exceptions, such
>> > as cocktails, I rarely put ice into any of my drinks and much prefer them
>> > that way.
>> >

>> Because we don't care for tepid tea in a glass, or water, or colas, or
>> lemonade that is the temperature of what comes out of your faucet.

>Don't bother "explaining", Joan...trying to explain the use of ice or air conditioning to UKer's/Europeans is a FUTILE effort...they are seemingly stuck in c. 1900 or so when it comes to the 'temperature control' of one's environment...

Rather than add ice, I fill up a bottle or 2 with water and put them
in the fridge. (And then I carbonate them before use.)

But if using ice makes you feel all modern, just do it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 2:12:57 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> I am quite comfortable with room temperature water. I find it more
> thirst quenching than cold water. Most soft drinks taste better cold.
> One exception is my personal favourite, ginger beer. It is just as good
> warm as it is cold.

I keep a 32 ounce Cool Gear bottle in the refrigerator about 1/2 to 3/4 full
of water. When I drink from it I fill it up to either the 3/4 or full mark
with just enough tap water to dispel that 'brain freeze' when drinking in
the winter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:45:57 -0800 (PST), GM
> > wrote:
>
>> wrote:

>>> Because we don't care for tepid tea in a glass, or water, or colas, or
>>> lemonade that is the temperature of what comes out of your faucet.

>> Don't bother "explaining", Joan...trying to explain the use of ice or air conditioning to UKer's/Europeans is a FUTILE effort...they are seemingly stuck in c. 1900 or so when it comes to the 'temperature control' of one's environment...

> Rather than add ice, I fill up a bottle or 2 with water and put them
> in the fridge. (And then I carbonate them before use.)
>
> But if using ice makes you feel all modern, just do it!

Druce, if yoose ever my guest, I'll remember.

No ice, and **** in yoose glass.

Drink up Kruce!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-12-18 2:29 p.m., Pamela wrote:
>> On 18:36* 18 Dec 2019, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>

>>> I learned a valuable lesson from Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore
>>> Show. He told Mary that the best way to drink scotch is to get a
>>> nice scotch, pour a good sized shot of it into a nice glass with a
>>> few ice cubes. You swirl it around and have a sip.* You do that a
>>> few times and when it is just right you knock it back.

>> I can't really understand the appeal of Scotch on the Rocks.* You may
>> as well take some very chilled still water and dilute the Scotch with
>> it.

> Lou's advice was pretty good. Good scotch should be drunk with just
> a little water. He said to swirl it around and sip it, and when it
> just right you knock it back.

Yep, same shit Popeye does with the crystal palace. But he doesn't
swirl it. Just curses, then dumps it in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 19:29:31 GMT, Pamela >
> wrote:
>
>> On 18:36 18 Dec 2019, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>>> It's a little odd that they have those machines that are carefully
>>> calibrated to dispense a certain amount of syrup to a certain amount of
>>> carbonated water to get that perfectly designed flavour and then add all
>>> that ice to water it down.
>>>
>>> I don't often consume soft drinks, and when I do, I rarely add ice. I
>>> do like ice with mixed drinks. I like a lot of ice with gin and tonic. I
>>> usually have a few ice cubes with a Manhattan but I tend to finish the
>>> drink before the ice is melted too much.
>>>
>>> I learned a valuable lesson from Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
>>> He told Mary that the best way to drink scotch is to get a nice scotch,
>>> pour a good sized shot of it into a nice glass with a few ice cubes.
>>> You swirl it around and have a sip. You do that a few times and when it
>>> is just right you knock it back.

>> I can't really understand the appeal of Scotch on the Rocks. You may as well
>> take some very chilled still water and dilute the Scotch with it.

> Does that make me a bad person?

No. Just an asshole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pamela wrote:
> On 18:36 18 Dec 2019, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> On 2019-12-18 11:25 a.m., Pamela wrote:
>>> On 15:54 18 Dec 2019, Cindy Hamilton >

>>> That's okay if you're drinking water but any other drink gets diluted.
>>>
>>> Presumably fast food chains and bars do that to save on their costs but
>>> surely not for taste.
>>>

>> It's a little odd that they have those machines that are carefully
>> calibrated to dispense a certain amount of syrup to a certain amount of
>> carbonated water to get that perfectly designed flavour and then add all
>> that ice to water it down.
>>
>> I don't often consume soft drinks, and when I do, I rarely add ice. I
>> do like ice with mixed drinks. I like a lot of ice with gin and tonic. I
>> usually have a few ice cubes with a Manhattan but I tend to finish the
>> drink before the ice is melted too much.
>>
>> I learned a valuable lesson from Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
>> He told Mary that the best way to drink scotch is to get a nice scotch,
>> pour a good sized shot of it into a nice glass with a few ice cubes.
>> You swirl it around and have a sip. You do that a few times and when it
>> is just right you knock it back.

> I can't really understand the appeal of Scotch on the Rocks. You may as well
> take some very chilled still water and dilute the Scotch with it.

A lot of bartenders here can detect snotty foreigners. Then, they
dispense a little water in a glass, then **** in it and add a shot
of everclear.

It has a slight yellow tint, and it is warm, so the person thinks
it's the same as he is used to back home. Saves wasting good whiskey
on these assholes too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2019 2:50 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:45:57 -0800 (PST), GM
> > wrote:
>
>> wrote:

>>> Because we don't care for tepid tea in a glass, or water, or colas, or
>>> lemonade that is the temperature of what comes out of your faucet.

>> Don't bother "explaining", Joan...trying to explain the use of ice or air conditioning to UKer's/Europeans is a FUTILE effort...they are seemingly stuck in c. 1900 or so when it comes to the 'temperature control' of one's environment...

> Rather than add ice, I fill up a bottle or 2 with water and put them
> in the fridge. (And then I carbonate them before use.)
>
> But if using ice makes you feel all modern, just do it!

Refrigerated water is just fine. Carbonation would ruin it for me. I
guess if you like to tickle your tongue, go for it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 20:36:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 12/18/2019 2:50 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:45:57 -0800 (PST), GM
>> > wrote:

>>> Don't bother "explaining", Joan...trying to explain the use of ice or air conditioning to UKer's/Europeans is a FUTILE effort...they are seemingly stuck in c. 1900 or so when it comes to the 'temperature control' of one's environment...

>> Rather than add ice, I fill up a bottle or 2 with water and put them
>> in the fridge. (And then I carbonate them before use.)
>>
>> But if using ice makes you feel all modern, just do it!
>>

>Refrigerated water is just fine. Carbonation would ruin it for me. I
>guess if you like to tickle your tongue, go for it.

I find it even more refreshing. When you do it yourself, you can
control the degree of carbonation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19:50 18 Dec 2019, Bruce > wrote:

>>> Because we don't care for tepid tea in a glass, or water, or colas, or
>>> lemonade that is the temperature of what comes out of your faucet.

>>Don't bother "explaining", Joan...trying to explain the use of ice or
>>air conditioning to UKer's/Europeans is a FUTILE effort...they are
>>seemingly stuck in c. 1900 or so when it comes to the 'temperature
>>control' of one's environment...

> Rather than add ice, I fill up a bottle or 2 with water and put them
> in the fridge. (And then I carbonate them before use.)
>
> But if using ice makes you feel all modern, just do it!

Are you affected by the current heatwave in Oz?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19:45 18 Dec 2019, GM > wrote:

> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:04:28 AM UTC-6, Pamela wrote:
>> >
>> > Why are Americans so keen on ice in drinks? With a few exceptions,
>> > such as cocktails, I rarely put ice into any of my drinks and much
>> > prefer them that way.
>> >

>> Because we don't care for tepid tea in a glass, or water, or colas, or
>> lemonade that is the temperature of what comes out of your faucet.

> Don't bother "explaining", Joan...trying to explain the use of ice or
> air conditioning to UKer's/Europeans is a FUTILE effort...they are
> seemingly stuck in c. 1900 or so when it comes to the 'temperature
> control' of one's environment...

It doesn't always work well.

America might be the only country in the world where you need to take a coat
with you on a baking hot day when visiting a restaurant to avoid getting
chilly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01:32 19 Dec 2019, Hank Rogers > wrote:
> Pamela wrote:

>>> It's a little odd that they have those machines that are carefully
>>> calibrated to dispense a certain amount of syrup to a certain amount
>>> of carbonated water to get that perfectly designed flavour and then
>>> add all that ice to water it down.
>>>
>>> I don't often consume soft drinks, and when I do, I rarely add ice. I
>>> do like ice with mixed drinks. I like a lot of ice with gin and tonic.
>>> I usually have a few ice cubes with a Manhattan but I tend to finish
>>> the drink before the ice is melted too much.
>>>
>>> I learned a valuable lesson from Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore
>>> Show. He told Mary that the best way to drink scotch is to get a nice
>>> scotch, pour a good sized shot of it into a nice glass with a few ice
>>> cubes. You swirl it around and have a sip. You do that a few times
>>> and when it is just right you knock it back.

>> I can't really understand the appeal of Scotch on the Rocks. You may
>> as well take some very chilled still water and dilute the Scotch with
>> it.
>>

> A lot of bartenders here can detect snotty foreigners. Then, they
> dispense a little water in a glass, then **** in it and add a shot
> of everclear.
>
> It has a slight yellow tint, and it is warm, so the person thinks
> it's the same as he is used to back home. Saves wasting good whiskey
> on these assholes too.

I doubt what barmen in Paris do to drinks ordered by Americans
(discernible by their loud arrogant manner and an inability to speak any
language other than English) is any better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pamela wrote:
> America might be the only country in the world where you need to take a coat
> with you on a baking hot day when visiting a restaurant to avoid getting
> chilly.

This can be true. Be outside on a hot day then go sit in an AC
restaurant and just sitting there, easy to get chilled.

Not necessarily the temp but the difference in temp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pamela wrote:
> I doubt what barmen in Paris do to drinks ordered by Americans
> (discernible by their loud arrogant manner and an inability to speak any
> language other than English) is any better.

Biased often? Now you're being an assmunch.
Just why do you hate Americans that much?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14:00 19 Dec 2019, Gary > wrote:
> Pamela wrote:
>>
>> I doubt what barmen in Paris do to drinks ordered by Americans
>> (discernible by their loud arrogant manner and an inability to speak
>> any language other than English) is any better.

> Biased often? Now you're being an assmunch. Just why do you hate
> Americans that much?

Parisian barmen, not me. American lack of language skills and a loud
manner is nothing to do with me. Parisians, in general, dislike the
British too.

As far as I'm concerned, Americans are alright.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pamela > wrote in
:

> As far as I'm concerned, Americans are alright.

So are men like you that post
as women.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14:00 19 Dec 2019, Gary > wrote:
> Pamela wrote:
>>

>> America might be the only country in the world where you need to take a
>> coat with you on a baking hot day when visiting a restaurant to avoid
>> getting chilly.

> This can be true. Be outside on a hot day then go sit in an AC
> restaurant and just sitting there, easy to get chilled.
>
> Not necessarily the temp but the difference in temp.

Although that's true, many American restaurants are over air-conditioned.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...erica-fell-in-
love-with-crazy-amounts-of-air-conditioning/

This article on workplaces claims its because the temperature is chosen for
the metabolic rate of men rather than women.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nclimate2741

I'm surpsied the greens haven't started lobbying about the waste of energy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 16:36:02 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 14:00 19 Dec 2019, Gary > wrote:
>> Pamela wrote:
>>>
>>> I doubt what barmen in Paris do to drinks ordered by Americans
>>> (discernible by their loud arrogant manner and an inability to speak
>>> any language other than English) is any better.

>> Biased often? Now you're being an assmunch. Just why do you hate
>> Americans that much?

>Parisian barmen, not me. American lack of language skills and a loud
>manner is nothing to do with me. Parisians, in general, dislike the
>British too.

Parisians aren't the nicest French people. Just like Amsterdammers
aren't the nicest Dutch people. In my experience at least. They have
capital city syndrome or something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Don't bother "explaining", Joan...trying to explain the use of ice or
>>>air conditioning to UKer's/Europeans is a FUTILE effort...they are
>>>seemingly stuck in c. 1900 or so when it comes to the 'temperature
>>>control' of one's environment...

>> Rather than add ice, I fill up a bottle or 2 with water and put them
>> in the fridge. (And then I carbonate them before use.)
>>
>> But if using ice makes you feel all modern, just do it!

>Are you affected by the current heatwave in Oz?

Not really. It'll be in the mid 30s (95F) today.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 16:44:08 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 14:00 19 Dec 2019, Gary > wrote:
>> Pamela wrote:
>>>

>>> America might be the only country in the world where you need to take a
>>> coat with you on a baking hot day when visiting a restaurant to avoid
>>> getting chilly.

>> This can be true. Be outside on a hot day then go sit in an AC
>> restaurant and just sitting there, easy to get chilled.
>>
>> Not necessarily the temp but the difference in temp.

>Although that's true, many American restaurants are over air-conditioned.
>
>https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...erica-fell-in-
>love-with-crazy-amounts-of-air-conditioning/
>
>This article on workplaces claims its because the temperature is chosen for
>the metabolic rate of men rather than women.
>
>https://www.nature.com/articles/nclimate2741
>
>I'm surpsied the greens haven't started lobbying about the waste of energy!

They'd have a point, as usual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2019 1:41 PM, Bruce wrote:

> Parisians aren't the nicest French people. Just like Amsterdammers
> aren't the nicest Dutch people. In my experience at least. They have
> capital city syndrome or something.

I haven't been to Amsterdam in 50 years, so I suppose things have
changed - but I found the locals to be lovely, helpful people. Back
then, English wasn't spoken as widely as it is now, but nobody seemed
bothered if I asked for help in German. They generally answered in
Dutch, though, but my knowledge of both Scots and German made it fairly
easy to understand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 13:55:22 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 12/19/2019 1:41 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>> Parisians aren't the nicest French people. Just like Amsterdammers
>> aren't the nicest Dutch people. In my experience at least. They have
>> capital city syndrome or something.
>>

>I haven't been to Amsterdam in 50 years, so I suppose things have
>changed - but I found the locals to be lovely, helpful people. Back
>then, English wasn't spoken as widely as it is now, but nobody seemed
>bothered if I asked for help in German. They generally answered in
>Dutch, though, but my knowledge of both Scots and German made it fairly
>easy to understand.

I think it has to do with too much exposure to too many tourists. 50
years ago that would have been less than now. I find small town French
people much friendlier than Parisians, for instance. Blanket
statement, of course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2019 2:02 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 13:55:22 -0500, S Viemeister
>> On 12/19/2019 1:41 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> Parisians aren't the nicest French people. Just like Amsterdammers
>>> aren't the nicest Dutch people. In my experience at least. They have
>>> capital city syndrome or something.

>> I haven't been to Amsterdam in 50 years, so I suppose things have
>> changed - but I found the locals to be lovely, helpful people. Back
>> then, English wasn't spoken as widely as it is now, but nobody seemed
>> bothered if I asked for help in German. They generally answered in
>> Dutch, though, but my knowledge of both Scots and German made it fairly
>> easy to understand.

> I think it has to do with too much exposure to too many tourists. 50
> years ago that would have been less than now. I find small town French
> people much friendlier than Parisians, for instance. Blanket
> statement, of course.

Seems likely.
I used to live in Edinburgh, but it has really changed - the heart has
been ripped out of the city, what used to be lovely little
neighbourhoods are now cluttered with tourist tat and Air B&Bs. There
seem to be more tourists than locals, and not just during the Festival
weeks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2019 9:00 AM, Gary wrote:
> Pamela wrote:
>> I doubt what barmen in Paris do to drinks ordered by Americans
>> (discernible by their loud arrogant manner and an inability to speak any
>> language other than English) is any better.

> Biased often? Now you're being an assmunch.
> Just why do you hate Americans that much?

Why think anyone cares what barmen in Paris do?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 14:37:03 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 12/19/2019 2:02 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> I haven't been to Amsterdam in 50 years, so I suppose things have
>>> changed - but I found the locals to be lovely, helpful people. Back
>>> then, English wasn't spoken as widely as it is now, but nobody seemed
>>> bothered if I asked for help in German. They generally answered in
>>> Dutch, though, but my knowledge of both Scots and German made it fairly
>>> easy to understand.

>> I think it has to do with too much exposure to too many tourists. 50
>> years ago that would have been less than now. I find small town French
>> people much friendlier than Parisians, for instance. Blanket
>> statement, of course.
>>

>Seems likely.
>I used to live in Edinburgh, but it has really changed - the heart has
>been ripped out of the city, what used to be lovely little
>neighbourhoods are now cluttered with tourist tat and Air B&Bs. There
>seem to be more tourists than locals, and not just during the Festival
>weeks.

Yes, Amsterdam and Paris suffer from that too. For a French city
experience, you're better off going to one of the provincial cities.
You might actually see a French person