Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default KFC fail?

On 12/19/2019 11:14 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I can only go by the ads I've seen and there was definitely syrup on
>> those waffles.

> Here's another personal oddity for me. I have real maple syrup
> (good for some uses) but I also have the "Log Cabin" fake syrup.
> For most uses, I often prefer the log cabin stuff so my real
> stuff lasts a very long time.

I have a bottle of real maple syrup that I've had for nearly 25 years.
I bought it because I needed a couple of Tbs. of real maple syrup for
the frosting after I baked a spice cake (from scratch). It's been that
long since I baked or frosted a cake. I rarely eat waffles or pancakes;
I never make them at home.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2019 11:26 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-12-19 10:30 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/19/2019 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> ffles me.
>>>
>>> What baffles you?Â* That you don't make waffles?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> The ancient waffle iron.Â* I can't tell when the waffles are done.
>>

> They stop steaming.

Yeah, I remember you folks telling me that a few years ago. I wasted
enough waffle batter the first time around. I put the antique waffle
iron back on the shelf.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2019 10:35 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 10:30:36 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

>>> What baffles you? That you don't make waffles?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> The ancient waffle iron. I can't tell when the waffles are done.
>>
>> Jill

> Ah. Our more modern iron has a light that indicates when the elements
> inside are heating. Other than that, we just have to check for steam
> coming out the sides (not done yet) and use our judgment.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I remember being told about the steam (after the fact). It really
wasn't worth trying again so I put the antique waffle iron back on the
shelf.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 2:08:03 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> I have a bottle of real maple syrup that I've had for nearly 25 years.
> I bought it because I needed a couple of Tbs. of real maple syrup for
> the frosting after I baked a spice cake (from scratch). It's been that
> long since I baked or frosted a cake. I rarely eat waffles or pancakes;
> I never make them at home.
>
> Jill

Maple crack bacon!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 2:13:55 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> I remember being told about the steam (after the fact). It really
> wasn't worth trying again so I put the antique waffle iron back on the
> shelf.
>
> Jill

When I want waffles I'll take a couple out of the freezer put them in the
toaster oven. While they're toasting I put a gob of butter in a one cup
measuring cup and pour about 2 ounces of maple syrup over the butter.
That goes in the microwave until it is melted and syrup warmed.

These frozen waffles are compliments of Kroger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-19 3:13 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/19/2019 10:35 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> The ancient waffle iron.Â* I can't tell when the waffles are done.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Ah.Â* Our more modern iron has a light that indicates when the elements
>> inside are heating.Â* Other than that, we just have to check for steam
>> coming out the sides (not done yet) and use our judgment.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> I remember being told about the steam (after the fact).Â* It really
> wasn't worth trying again so I put the antique waffle iron back on the
> shelf.

I think you were also told that the first one usually sticks. You can't
peek.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-19 6:09 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 7:18:49 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith

> If the waffles aren't sweetened and maple syrup is not involved, I
> don't see why chicken and waffles would be much different from fried
> chicken and any other carb.

The sweetness of waffles may be an issue too. I we make waffles at home
once in a while and they are not really sweet. There is only a small
amount of sugar in the batter. I have had Eggs a couple times. They
were similar to our home made in sweetness. I have only had waffles in
the US a few times. The first time was a few years ago in California.
The other two were at breakfast buffets, both in Virginia. Holy crap
they were sweet. They were loaded with sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2019 4:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-12-19 3:13 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> Ah.Â* Our more modern iron has a light that indicates when the elements
>>> inside are heating.Â* Other than that, we just have to check for steam
>>> coming out the sides (not done yet) and use our judgment.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I remember being told about the steam (after the fact).Â* It really
>> wasn't worth trying again so I put the antique waffle iron back on the
>> shelf.
>>

> I think you were also told that the first one usually sticks.Â* You can't
> peek.

Probably so, but I didn't know when to peek. I waited 20 minutes.
Seemed reasonable. The batter was still not set. Couldn't tell the
temp, didn't know about steam. I'm really not interested in making waffles.

I didn't know the waffle iron was supposed to start puffing like a steam
engine to tell me when the waffles were done. I'd never used this old
waffle iron before. My mother did, with success. Back in the 1960's
when I was a kid. Waffles, eggs, bacon (sometimes "Canadian bacon" some
Sundays. The fun thing is she moved it all around the country with us.
From when she was married to when she finally left it in this house.
It's a very old corded appliance. Chrome.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-19 6:11 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/19/2019 4:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I think you were also told that the first one usually sticks. You
>> can't peek.
>>

> Probably so, but I didn't know when to peek. I waited 20 minutes.
> Seemed reasonable. The batter was still not set. Couldn't tell the
> temp, didn't know about steam. I'm really not interested in making
> waffles.
>
> I didn't know the waffle iron was supposed to start puffing like a
> steam engine to tell me when the waffles were done. I'd never used
> this old waffle iron before. My mother did, with success. Back in
> the 1960's when I was a kid. Waffles, eggs, bacon (sometimes
> "Canadian bacon" some Sundays. The fun thing is she moved it all
> around the country with us. From when she was married to when she
> finally left it in this house. It's a very old corded appliance.
> Chrome.

I have to wonder if the waffle iron was functioning properly. We had an
old one our sitter had given us and the upper element was NFG. I had to
repair it a few times. We finally trashed it and bought a new one. I
realize that you are unlucky to try making waffles again, but just in
case you do, they tend to need a long time to heat up. I plug in the
waffle iron before I start working on the batter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 15:11:39 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/19/2019 11:26 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2019-12-19 10:30 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>> On 12/19/2019 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> ffles me.

>>> The ancient waffle iron.* I can't tell when the waffles are done.
>>>

>> They stop steaming.
>>

>Yeah, I remember you folks telling me that a few years ago. I wasted
>enough waffle batter the first time around. I put the antique waffle
>iron back on the shelf.

We had waffles often when I was young.

Now, NO waffle iron, and WAY too much effort for one person.
Pancakes are just fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-12-19 6:09 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 7:18:49 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith

> > If the waffles aren't sweetened and maple syrup is not involved, I
> > don't see why chicken and waffles would be much different from fried
> > chicken and any other carb.
> >

> The sweetness of waffles may be an issue too. I we make waffles at
> home once in a while and they are not really sweet. There is only a
> small amount of sugar in the batter. I have had Eggs a couple times.
> They were similar to our home made in sweetness. I have only had
> waffles in the US a few times. The first time was a few years ago in
> California. The other two were at breakfast buffets, both in
> Virginia. Holy crap they were sweet. They were loaded with sugar.

I think that's sort of USA take on them. Generally 'sweet' expected
but in older times, not so much so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 7:11:50 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > On 2019-12-19 6:09 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > > On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 7:18:49 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith

> > > If the waffles aren't sweetened and maple syrup is not involved, I
> > > don't see why chicken and waffles would be much different from fried
> > > chicken and any other carb.
> > >

> > The sweetness of waffles may be an issue too. I we make waffles at
> > home once in a while and they are not really sweet. There is only a
> > small amount of sugar in the batter. I have had Eggs a couple times.
> > They were similar to our home made in sweetness. I have only had
> > waffles in the US a few times. The first time was a few years ago in
> > California. The other two were at breakfast buffets, both in
> > Virginia. Holy crap they were sweet. They were loaded with sugar.

> I think that's sort of USA take on them. Generally 'sweet' expected
> but in older times, not so much so.

I think that's sort of a restaurant take on them. Ours are never
very sweet.

Restaurant food tends to be "over the top", so people will feel like
it's worth spending the money for stuff they can easily make at home.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-20 5:47 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 7:11:50 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> The sweetness of waffles may be an issue too. I we make waffles at
>>> home once in a while and they are not really sweet. There is only a
>>> small amount of sugar in the batter. I have had Eggs a couple times.
>>> They were similar to our home made in sweetness. I have only had
>>> waffles in the US a few times. The first time was a few years ago in
>>> California. The other two were at breakfast buffets, both in
>>> Virginia. Holy crap they were sweet. They were loaded with sugar.

>> I think that's sort of USA take on them. Generally 'sweet' expected
>> but in older times, not so much so.

> I think that's sort of a restaurant take on them. Ours are never
> very sweet.

My recipe comes from an American published cookbook, but I am under the
impression that few people actually make them at home. IIRC the recipe
I use calls for only a tsp or maybe a tbsp. The one I had at a waffle
shop and those I had at motel breakfast buffets probably had at least
two Tbsp sugar in each waffle. They were as sweet as cookies.

> Restaurant food tends to be "over the top", so people will feel like
> it's worth spending the money for stuff they can easily make at home.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 10:17:48 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-12-20 5:47 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I think that's sort of USA take on them. Generally 'sweet' expected
> >> but in older times, not so much so.

> > I think that's sort of a restaurant take on them. Ours are never
> > very sweet.

> My recipe comes from an American published cookbook, but I am under the
> impression that few people actually make them at home.

You're probably right about that. I'd rather make them myself or
do without.

> IIRC the recipe
> I use calls for only a tsp or maybe a tbsp.

That sounds about right, although my husband is the waffle-maker-in-chief.

> The one I had at a waffle
> shop and those I had at motel breakfast buffets probably had at least
> two Tbsp sugar in each waffle. They were as sweet as cookies.

IHOP. You can get pancakes with chocolate syrup and whipped cream.

Oh, hey. This is a good one:

<https://www.ihop.com/en/menu/pancakes/cupcake-pancakes>

I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 4:45:31 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I'm with Jill. Plain bacon, please.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'll take it most any way you offer it. But the maple crack bacon is sorta,
kinda, maybe, a treat/appetizer for a crowd. Something different other than
cheese and crackers, or Little Smokey wienies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> Well, it doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy. I love bacon because
> it's salty, not sweet.
>
> Jill

It's a treat and you get both, salty and sweet but it's not something you'd
make a meal out of. Just something to nosh on at a gathering.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 11:18:31 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > Well, it doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy. I love bacon because
> > it's salty, not sweet.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> It's a treat and you get both, salty and sweet but it's not something you'd
> make a meal out of. Just something to nosh on at a gathering.

I had candied dried squid at a party once. My reaction to that suggests I
wouldn't like candied bacon.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 10:24:00 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I had candied dried squid at a party once. My reaction to that suggests I
> wouldn't like candied bacon.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

EEEEEEEK!!!! Now that's something I can't even envision.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I do love dried squid! Used to buy it from a noodle-cart vendor when we
> lived in Bangkok. It was salty. Akin to jerky. I wouldn't want that
> to be sweet, either.

Grandma used to make dried fish in the oven, fairly
low heat, well salted. little dried smelts or perhaps
some other tiny fish. i thought they were strange at
first because they still had the heads and little eyes
but after i tried one i didn't have any problem having
more.

i would try dried squid too from the sounds of it.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > I do love dried squid! Used to buy it from a noodle-cart vendor
> > when we lived in Bangkok. It was salty. Akin to jerky. I
> > wouldn't want that to be sweet, either.

> Grandma used to make dried fish in the oven, fairly
> low heat, well salted. little dried smelts or perhaps
> some other tiny fish. i thought they were strange at
> first because they still had the heads and little eyes
> but after i tried one i didn't have any problem having
> more.
>
> i would try dried squid too from the sounds of it.
>

> songbird

Called Niboshi in Japan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> When I want waffles I'll take a couple out of the freezer put them in the
> toaster oven. While they're toasting I put a gob of butter in a one cup
> measuring cup and pour about 2 ounces of maple syrup over the butter.
> That goes in the microwave until it is melted and syrup warmed.

That combo is a great idea, Joan. Always annoying to butter
waffles without using too much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > Well, it doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy. I love bacon because
> > it's salty, not sweet.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> It's a treat and you get both, salty and sweet but it's not something you'd
> make a meal out of. Just something to nosh on at a gathering.

Again, the combo of salty and sweet is good. Whenever I make
a "breakfast for dinner" and have either bacon or sausage, I'll
always put a bit of syrup on the side. It's good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 12:52:36 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> " wrote:
> >
> > When I want waffles I'll take a couple out of the freezer put them in the
> > toaster oven. While they're toasting I put a gob of butter in a one cup
> > measuring cup and pour about 2 ounces of maple syrup over the butter.
> > That goes in the microwave until it is melted and syrup warmed.

> That combo is a great idea, Joan. Always annoying to butter
> waffles without using too much.

It's more annoying to use too much syrup.

I'm not sure I could manage to put too much butter on my waffles.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I'm not sure I could manage to put too much butter on my waffles.

Of course not. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 12:54:00 -0500, Gary > wrote:

" wrote:

>> On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
>> >
>> > Well, it doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy. I love bacon because
>> > it's salty, not sweet.
>> >
>> > Jill
>> >

>> It's a treat and you get both, salty and sweet but it's not something you'd
>> make a meal out of. Just something to nosh on at a gathering.

>Again, the combo of salty and sweet is good. Whenever I make
>a "breakfast for dinner" and have either bacon or sausage, I'll
>always put a bit of syrup on the side. It's good.

You've been trained to always need sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 12:53:42 -0500, Gary > wrote:

" wrote:

>> When I want waffles I'll take a couple out of the freezer put them in the
>> toaster oven. While they're toasting I put a gob of butter in a one cup
>> measuring cup and pour about 2 ounces of maple syrup over the butter.
>> That goes in the microwave until it is melted and syrup warmed.

>That combo is a great idea, Joan. Always annoying to butter
>waffles without using too much.

I never eat waffles or pancakes, lots of totally empty calories and
not at all tasty/enjoyable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 8:11:38 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 12:54:00 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> >> It's a treat and you get both, salty and sweet but it's not something you'd
> >> make a meal out of. Just something to nosh on at a gathering.

> >Again, the combo of salty and sweet is good. Whenever I make
> >a "breakfast for dinner" and have either bacon or sausage, I'll
> >always put a bit of syrup on the side. It's good.

> You've been trained to always need sugar.

Most things go better with sugar. You can take that to the bank and deposit it. Then later, you can go back and draw from the reserves. That's so awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek_CUJY-Jmc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 13:05:29 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 8:11:38 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>> >Again, the combo of salty and sweet is good. Whenever I make
>> >a "breakfast for dinner" and have either bacon or sausage, I'll
>> >always put a bit of syrup on the side. It's good.

>> You've been trained to always need sugar.

>Most things go better with sugar. You can take that to the bank and deposit it. Then later, you can go back and draw from the reserves. That's so awesome!

You're an American. You'd say that
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 11:14:20 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> I can only go by the ads I've seen and there was definitely syrup on
>> those waffles.

>Here's another personal oddity for me. I have real maple syrup
>(good for some uses) but I also have the "Log Cabin" fake syrup.
>For most uses, I often prefer the log cabin stuff so my real
>stuff lasts a very long time.

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 11:46:43 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 13:05:29 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 8:11:38 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> You've been trained to always need sugar.

> >Most things go better with sugar. You can take that to the bank and deposit it. Then later, you can go back and draw from the reserves. That's so awesome!

> You're an American. You'd say that

Is that your main M.O. - making people feel guilty/bad about themselves? That's pretty lame. That don't work on me. I remain unabashedly unapologetic about who I am. Better luck next time, eh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_operandi
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 14:05:40 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 11:46:43 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 13:05:29 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >Most things go better with sugar. You can take that to the bank and deposit it. Then later, you can go back and draw from the reserves. That's so awesome!

>> You're an American. You'd say that

>Is that your main M.O. - making people feel guilty/bad about themselves? That's pretty lame. That don't work on me. I remain unabashedly unapologetic about who I am. Better luck next time, eh?

You shouldn't feel bad about yourself just because you add sugar to
everything. It's peculiar, but not bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 12:07:58 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 14:05:40 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 11:46:43 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 13:05:29 -0800 (PST), dsi1

> >> You're an American. You'd say that

> >Is that your main M.O. - making people feel guilty/bad about themselves? That's pretty lame. That don't work on me. I remain unabashedly unapologetic about who I am. Better luck next time, eh?

> You shouldn't feel bad about yourself just because you add sugar to
> everything. It's peculiar, but not bad.

It's not peculiar - unless you consider successful evolutionary survival traits to be peculiar. They are not. That's strike two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 11:52:36 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> " wrote:
> >
> > When I want waffles I'll take a couple out of the freezer put them in the
> > toaster oven. While they're toasting I put a gob of butter in a one cup
> > measuring cup and pour about 2 ounces of maple syrup over the butter.
> > That goes in the microwave until it is melted and syrup warmed.

> Always annoying to butter
> waffles without using too much.

And trying to make sure each little square gets some of that butter nestled
inside.

)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 2:43:57 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> I never eat waffles or pancakes, lots of totally empty calories and
> not at all tasty/enjoyable.

True. But some days sweet, buttery, maple syrup waffles just hits the spot.

Not a fail after all Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 1 24-02-2013 05:27 PM
No Fail Cobbler Denise C. Janzen Recipes (moderated) 0 06-03-2010 10:35 PM
Ciabatta Fail Giusi General Cooking 5 12-11-2009 04:33 PM
Ciabatta Fail ViLco General Cooking 0 11-11-2009 12:11 PM
Ciabatta Fail Giusi General Cooking 1 11-11-2009 09:47 AM