elizabeth emerald

Default replacing lemon juice

my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.

any ideas?
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted" -- Hilltop Hoods

Wayne Boatwright

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in news:30aoevF2rkarcU1
@uni-berlin.de:

> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?

Pineapple vinegar comes to mind. You can buy it or make it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in news:30aoevF2rkarcU1
@uni-berlin.de:

> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?

Pineapple vinegar comes to mind. You can buy it or make it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wazza

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message
> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?
> --
> elizabeth (in australia)
>
> "Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted" -- Hilltop

Hoods

tamarind juice, or sumac.
cheers
Wazza

Wazza

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message
> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?
> --
> elizabeth (in australia)
>
> "Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted" -- Hilltop

Hoods

tamarind juice, or sumac.
cheers
Wazza

The Joneses

elizabeth emerald wrote:

> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> any ideas?
> elizabeth (in australia)

If the citrus juice is just for flavoring, then lemon thyme, mint, lemon
verbena (IMO smells better than lemon), lemon basil, and lemon balm (smells
like furniture polish to me), lemon grass, and lemon rose geranium are some
choices. Or - egad, unflavored lemon Koolaid, which of course, never ever saw
a lemon. If for the acidic amount, rice wine vinegar might be an option.
Edrena

The Joneses

elizabeth emerald wrote:

> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> any ideas?
> elizabeth (in australia)

If the citrus juice is just for flavoring, then lemon thyme, mint, lemon
verbena (IMO smells better than lemon), lemon basil, and lemon balm (smells
like furniture polish to me), lemon grass, and lemon rose geranium are some
choices. Or - egad, unflavored lemon Koolaid, which of course, never ever saw
a lemon. If for the acidic amount, rice wine vinegar might be an option.
Edrena

kalanamak

The Joneses wrote:

> Citric acid might be cheaper and more readily available as Vitamin C tablets.
> But some are made from citrus fruits, so got to be careful?
> Edrena

Citric acid and *ascorbic acid AKA vit C* are not the same thing. I find
citric acid "stronger" on the tongue. I've also seen it for sale in
Chinatown shops.
I personally, although it isn't quite as tart, would give white, not
red, verjus a try. It is the juice of unripe wine grapes. I'm an addict!
blacksalt
kalanamak

The Joneses wrote:

> Citric acid might be cheaper and more readily available as Vitamin C tablets.
> But some are made from citrus fruits, so got to be careful?
> Edrena

Citric acid and *ascorbic acid AKA vit C* are not the same thing. I find
citric acid "stronger" on the tongue. I've also seen it for sale in
Chinatown shops.
I personally, although it isn't quite as tart, would give white, not
red, verjus a try. It is the juice of unripe wine grapes. I'm an addict!
blacksalt
Victor Sack

elizabeth emerald > wrote:

> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?

Try to find verjuice (verjus), juice of unripe fruits or berries,
usually grapes. It can be nearly as tart as lemon juice.

For a somewhat different effect, you might also want to experiment wuth
a weak solution of hydrochloric acid (get the tablets to be dissolved at
your pharmacy). It is not anything to be afraid of - hydrochloric acid
is naturally produced in your stomach. It is also still sometimes
prescribed for such conditions as hypohydrochloria. There is no harm if
you use the weak solution in the manner lemon juice is normally used. I
like the taste rather a lot.

Victor

Victor Sack

elizabeth emerald > wrote:

> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?

Try to find verjuice (verjus), juice of unripe fruits or berries,
usually grapes. It can be nearly as tart as lemon juice.

For a somewhat different effect, you might also want to experiment wuth
a weak solution of hydrochloric acid (get the tablets to be dissolved at
your pharmacy). It is not anything to be afraid of - hydrochloric acid
is naturally produced in your stomach. It is also still sometimes
prescribed for such conditions as hypohydrochloria. There is no harm if
you use the weak solution in the manner lemon juice is normally used. I
like the taste rather a lot.

Victor
The Joneses

Victor Sack wrote:

> elizabeth emerald > wrote:
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> > any ideas?

> Try to find verjuice (verjus), juice of unripe fruits or berries,
> usually grapes. It can be nearly as tart as lemon juice.
> For a somewhat different effect, you might also want to experiment wuth
> a weak solution of hydrochloric acid (get the tablets to be dissolved at
> your pharmacy). It is not anything to be afraid of - hydrochloric acid
> is naturally produced in your stomach. It is also still sometimes
> prescribed for such conditions as hypohydrochloria. There is no harm if
> you use the weak solution in the manner lemon juice is normally used. I
> like the taste rather a lot.
> Victor

Citric acid might be cheaper and more readily available as Vitamin C tablets.
But some are made from citrus fruits, so got to be careful?
Edrena

The Joneses

Victor Sack wrote:

> elizabeth emerald > wrote:
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> > any ideas?

> Try to find verjuice (verjus), juice of unripe fruits or berries,
> usually grapes. It can be nearly as tart as lemon juice.
> For a somewhat different effect, you might also want to experiment wuth
> a weak solution of hydrochloric acid (get the tablets to be dissolved at
> your pharmacy). It is not anything to be afraid of - hydrochloric acid
> is naturally produced in your stomach. It is also still sometimes
> prescribed for such conditions as hypohydrochloria. There is no harm if
> you use the weak solution in the manner lemon juice is normally used. I
> like the taste rather a lot.
> Victor

Citric acid might be cheaper and more readily available as Vitamin C tablets.
But some are made from citrus fruits, so got to be careful?
Edrena

Amarantha

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in
:

> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?

I find ground coriander seed somewhat lemony. Also, as someone else
suggested, tamarind.

nil illegitimi carborundum
The Joneses

kalanamak wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > Citric acid might be cheaper and more readily available as Vitamin C tablets.
> > But some are made from citrus fruits, so got to be careful?
> > Edrena

> Citric acid and *ascorbic acid AKA vit C* are not the same thing. I find
> citric acid "stronger" on the tongue. I've also seen it for sale in
> Chinatown shops.

You're right of course, I just had a blond attack. I use both in preserving, but I
always check the bottles first.
Edrena

The Joneses

kalanamak wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > Citric acid might be cheaper and more readily available as Vitamin C tablets.
> > But some are made from citrus fruits, so got to be careful?
> > Edrena

> Citric acid and *ascorbic acid AKA vit C* are not the same thing. I find
> citric acid "stronger" on the tongue. I've also seen it for sale in
> Chinatown shops.

You're right of course, I just had a blond attack. I use both in preserving, but I
always check the bottles first.
Edrena

elizabeth emerald

> @uni-berlin.de:
>
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> > any ideas?

> Pineapple vinegar comes to mind. You can buy it or make it.

do you have a recipe? that sounds perfect.
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

> @uni-berlin.de:
>
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> > any ideas?

> Pineapple vinegar comes to mind. You can buy it or make it.

do you have a recipe? that sounds perfect.
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> elizabeth emerald wrote:
>
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> > any ideas?
> > elizabeth (in australia)

> If the citrus juice is just for flavoring, then lemon thyme, mint, lemon
> verbena (IMO smells better than lemon), lemon basil, and lemon balm

(smells
> like furniture polish to me), lemon grass, and lemon rose geranium are

some
> choices. Or - egad, unflavored lemon Koolaid, which of course, never ever

saw
> a lemon. If for the acidic amount, rice wine vinegar might be an option.

thanks for the great suggestions!
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> elizabeth emerald wrote:
>
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> > any ideas?
> > elizabeth (in australia)

> If the citrus juice is just for flavoring, then lemon thyme, mint, lemon
> verbena (IMO smells better than lemon), lemon basil, and lemon balm

(smells
> like furniture polish to me), lemon grass, and lemon rose geranium are

some
> choices. Or - egad, unflavored lemon Koolaid, which of course, never ever

saw
> a lemon. If for the acidic amount, rice wine vinegar might be an option.

thanks for the great suggestions!
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
. ..
> elizabeth emerald > wrote:
>
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> > any ideas?

> Try to find verjuice (verjus), juice of unripe fruits or berries,
> usually grapes. It can be nearly as tart as lemon juice.

he is severely allergic to most fruit, but i'll track some down & see if
it's ok.

> For a somewhat different effect, you might also want to experiment wuth
> a weak solution of hydrochloric acid (get the tablets to be dissolved at
> your pharmacy). It is not anything to be afraid of - hydrochloric acid
> is naturally produced in your stomach. It is also still sometimes
> prescribed for such conditions as hypohydrochloria. There is no harm if
> you use the weak solution in the manner lemon juice is normally used. I
> like the taste rather a lot.

that sounds scary! LOL!
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
. ..
> elizabeth emerald > wrote:
>
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> > any ideas?

> Try to find verjuice (verjus), juice of unripe fruits or berries,
> usually grapes. It can be nearly as tart as lemon juice.

he is severely allergic to most fruit, but i'll track some down & see if
it's ok.

> For a somewhat different effect, you might also want to experiment wuth
> a weak solution of hydrochloric acid (get the tablets to be dissolved at
> your pharmacy). It is not anything to be afraid of - hydrochloric acid
> is naturally produced in your stomach. It is also still sometimes
> prescribed for such conditions as hypohydrochloria. There is no harm if
> you use the weak solution in the manner lemon juice is normally used. I
> like the taste rather a lot.

that sounds scary! LOL!
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> Victor Sack wrote:
>
> > elizabeth emerald > wrote:
> > > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to

find
> > > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> > > any ideas?

> > Try to find verjuice (verjus), juice of unripe fruits or berries,
> > usually grapes. It can be nearly as tart as lemon juice.
> > For a somewhat different effect, you might also want to experiment wuth
> > a weak solution of hydrochloric acid (get the tablets to be dissolved at
> > your pharmacy). It is not anything to be afraid of - hydrochloric acid
> > is naturally produced in your stomach. It is also still sometimes
> > prescribed for such conditions as hypohydrochloria. There is no harm if
> > you use the weak solution in the manner lemon juice is normally used. I
> > like the taste rather a lot.
> > Victor

> Citric acid might be cheaper and more readily available as Vitamin C

tablets.
> But some are made from citrus fruits, so got to be careful?

he is severely allergic to most fruit, so vitamin c & citric acid are both
out.
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> Victor Sack wrote:
>
> > elizabeth emerald > wrote:
> > > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to

find
> > > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> > > any ideas?

> > Try to find verjuice (verjus), juice of unripe fruits or berries,
> > usually grapes. It can be nearly as tart as lemon juice.
> > For a somewhat different effect, you might also want to experiment wuth
> > a weak solution of hydrochloric acid (get the tablets to be dissolved at
> > your pharmacy). It is not anything to be afraid of - hydrochloric acid
> > is naturally produced in your stomach. It is also still sometimes
> > prescribed for such conditions as hypohydrochloria. There is no harm if
> > you use the weak solution in the manner lemon juice is normally used. I
> > like the taste rather a lot.
> > Victor

> Citric acid might be cheaper and more readily available as Vitamin C

tablets.
> But some are made from citrus fruits, so got to be careful?

he is severely allergic to most fruit, so vitamin c & citric acid are both
out.
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> The Joneses wrote:
>
> > Citric acid might be cheaper and more readily available as Vitamin C

tablets.
> > But some are made from citrus fruits, so got to be careful?
> > Edrena

> Citric acid and *ascorbic acid AKA vit C* are not the same thing. I find
> citric acid "stronger" on the tongue. I've also seen it for sale in
> Chinatown shops.
> I personally, although it isn't quite as tart, would give white, not
> red, verjus a try. It is the juice of unripe wine grapes. I'm an addict!

i'm on the lookout for it to see if it's ok for him. i'm not sure if we have
it in australia.
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted" -- Hilltop Hoods

elizabeth emerald

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> The Joneses wrote:
>
> > Citric acid might be cheaper and more readily available as Vitamin C

tablets.
> > But some are made from citrus fruits, so got to be careful?
> > Edrena

> Citric acid and *ascorbic acid AKA vit C* are not the same thing. I find
> citric acid "stronger" on the tongue. I've also seen it for sale in
> Chinatown shops.
> I personally, although it isn't quite as tart, would give white, not
> red, verjus a try. It is the juice of unripe wine grapes. I'm an addict!

i'm on the lookout for it to see if it's ok for him. i'm not sure if we have
it in australia.
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted" -- Hilltop Hoods

elizabeth emerald

"Amarantha" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "elizabeth emerald" > wrote in
> :
>
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> > any ideas?

> I find ground coriander seed somewhat lemony. Also, as someone else
> suggested, tamarind.

thanks!
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted" -- Hilltop Hoods

elizabeth emerald

"Amarantha" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "elizabeth emerald" > wrote in
> :
>
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> > any ideas?

> I find ground coriander seed somewhat lemony. Also, as someone else
> suggested, tamarind.

thanks!
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted" -- Hilltop Hoods

Wayne Boatwright

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> "elizabeth emerald" > wrote in
>> news:30aoevF2rkarcU1 @uni-berlin.de:
>>
>> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to
>> > find something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is
>> > an important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>> >
>> > any ideas?

>> Pineapple vinegar comes to mind. You can buy it or make it.

> do you have a recipe? that sounds perfect.

It's really simple. A recipe from the Too Hot Tomales cooking show. Hope
it works for you!

Pineapple Vinegar

Recipe By : TOO HOT TAMALES PANTRY STAPLES SHOW #TH62
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
2 Cups chopped fresh pineapple
Sugar -- to taste, if
-- Necessary
3 Cups Rice Wine Vinegar Or
Mild White Vinegar

Place the pineapple in a sterile glass jar or bottle. Add sugar to taste,
if th e fruit is not sweet enough. Pour the vinegar over the fruit.
Cover and store in a cool, dark place for 6 to 14 days, checking for
strength o f flavor that you like.
Strain through cheesecloth or a paper coffee filter and refrigerate.
Yield: about 3 cups

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Bubba

elizabeth emerald wrote:

>my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
>something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
>important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
>any ideas?

Try coconut vinegar.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Bubba

elizabeth emerald wrote:

>my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
>something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
>important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
>any ideas?

Try coconut vinegar.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

zuuum

Unsweetened passionfruit concentrate (Perfect Puree make a good one) makes a
good citrus substitute. Only a slight difference in flavor. But in recipes
calling for lemon juice it should make a fine substitute. It is also an
acid fruit.

> elizabeth emerald wrote:
>
>>my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
>>something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
>>important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>>
>>any ideas?

zuuum

Unsweetened passionfruit concentrate (Perfect Puree make a good one) makes a
good citrus substitute. Only a slight difference in flavor. But in recipes
calling for lemon juice it should make a fine substitute. It is also an
acid fruit.

> elizabeth emerald wrote:
>
>>my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
>>something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
>>important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>>
>>any ideas?

zuuum

Unsweetened passionfruit concentrate (Perfect Puree make a good one) makes a
good citrus substitute. Only a slight difference in flavor. But in recipes
calling for lemon juice it should make a fine substitute. It is also an
acid fruit.

> elizabeth emerald wrote:
>
>>my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
>>something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
>>important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>>
>>any ideas?

Lemon juice [email protected] General Cooking 31 16-10-2015 09:50 AM
Substituting Lime Juice for Lemon Juice Marilyn[_3_] Preserving 15 13-08-2010 03:49 PM
LEMON JUICE No Name General Cooking 1 16-01-2010 03:34 AM
replacing lemon juice elizabeth emerald Recipes 9 02-12-2004 12:44 AM
replacing lemon juice elizabeth emerald Baking 13 24-11-2004 02:30 AM