Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grilling during a thunderstorm

I'm about 30 miles south of Tampa, the lightning capitol of the North
America. This time of year is is common to have a storm pass over in the
late afternoon.

Last night, just as I was heating the grill a storm started to pass over
us. No problem, the grill is in the covered portion of the lanai so I
could still cook.

As the pork chop were becoming dinner, I was able to sit out and watch
and listen to the storm. It was thunder in stereo as I could hear it
coming from different sides. Same with the bolts of lightening. It was
neat to be able to watch.

My herb pots are in the uncovered portion so I'm glad I picked what I
wanted an hour earlier.

Dinner was a very thick grilled pork chop, leftover pasta salad and a
green salad. A glass (or two) or pinot grigio finished the meal.

Oh, I also have a whole house surge protector. In the past 48 hours my
weather station recorded 1230 lightening strikes in a 20 mile radius.
1.5 inches of rain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 11:00:39 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> I'm about 30 miles south of Tampa, the lightning capitol of the North
> America. This time of year is is common to have a storm pass over in the
> late afternoon.
>
> Last night, just as I was heating the grill a storm started to pass over
> us. No problem, the grill is in the covered portion of the lanai so I
> could still cook.
>
> As the pork chop were becoming dinner, I was able to sit out and watch
> and listen to the storm. It was thunder in stereo as I could hear it
> coming from different sides. Same with the bolts of lightening. It was
> neat to be able to watch.
>
> My herb pots are in the uncovered portion so I'm glad I picked what I
> wanted an hour earlier.
>
> Dinner was a very thick grilled pork chop, leftover pasta salad and a
> green salad. A glass (or two) or pinot grigio finished the meal.
>
> Oh, I also have a whole house surge protector. In the past 48 hours my
> weather station recorded 1230 lightening strikes in a 20 mile radius.
> 1.5 inches of rain.

Nice. I love a good thunderstorm. When they say "take cover", I head
for our covered deck.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2019 11:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> I'm about 30 miles south of Tampa, the lightning capitol of the North
> America. This time of year is is common to have a storm pass over in the
> late afternoon.
>
> Last night, just as I was heating the grill a storm started to pass over
> us.Â* No problem, the grill is in the covered portion of the lanai so I
> could still cook.
>
> As the pork chop were becoming dinner, I was able to sit out and watch
> and listen to the storm.Â* It was thunder in stereo as I could hear it
> coming from different sides.Â* Same with the bolts of lightening.Â* It was
> neat to be able to watch.
>
> My herb pots are in the uncovered portion so I'm glad I picked what I
> wanted an hour earlier.
>
> Dinner was a very thick grilled pork chop, leftover pasta salad and a
> green salad.Â* A glass (or two) or pinot grigio finished the meal.
>
> Oh, I also have a whole house surge protector. In the past 48 hours my
> weather station recorded 1230 lightening strikes in a 20 mile radius.
> 1.5 inches of rain.

Last night was a night for storms! The storm that came through here was
fierce. The flash of light and the crash of thunder were nearly
simultaneous. No covered lanai at my house so no grilling in that mess.
LOL I'm glad you enjoyed the light show and your grilled pork chop
dinner.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2019 11:09 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 11:00:39 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> I'm about 30 miles south of Tampa, the lightning capitol of the North
>> America. This time of year is is common to have a storm pass over in the
>> late afternoon.
>>
>> Last night, just as I was heating the grill a storm started to pass over
>> us. No problem, the grill is in the covered portion of the lanai so I
>> could still cook.
>>
>> As the pork chop were becoming dinner, I was able to sit out and watch
>> and listen to the storm. It was thunder in stereo as I could hear it
>> coming from different sides. Same with the bolts of lightening. It was
>> neat to be able to watch.

(snippage)

> Nice. I love a good thunderstorm. When they say "take cover", I head
> for our covered deck.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I love a good thunderstorm, too. No covered outdoor space, but lots of
large windows. The storm that came through my neck of the woods last
night was spectacular.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 10:09:27 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 11:00:39 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> > I was able to sit out and watch
> > and listen to the storm. It was thunder in stereo as I could hear it
> > coming from different sides. Same with the bolts of lightening. It was
> > neat to be able to watch.
> >

> Nice. I love a good thunderstorm. When they say "take cover", I head
> for our covered deck.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Y'all be careful on those covered decks and lanais. I had a friend who had
4 Persian cats laying on their covered deck and lightning struck the covered
portion and killed the cats. Freak strike and accident for sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-06 11:49 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

> I love a good thunderstorm, too.Â* No covered outdoor space, but lots of
> large windows.Â* The storm that came through my neck of the woods last
> night was spectacular.

They can be fun, but they can also be a little scary. Years and years
ago I went on a hunting trip up by Lake Nip****ing and one night we had
the best/worst<?> lightning storm I had ever seen. One bolt hit a tree
near our cabin and there was such a loud bang that the cabin shook and a
light bulb exploded.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2019 12:05 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-07-06 11:49 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I love a good thunderstorm, too.Â* No covered outdoor space, but lots
>> of large windows.Â* The storm that came through my neck of the woods
>> last night was spectacular.

> They can be fun, but they can also be a little scary.Â* Years and years
> ago I went on a hunting trip up by Lake Nip****ing and one night we had
> the best/worst<?>Â* lightning storm I had ever seen.Â* One bolt hit a tree
> near our cabin and there was such a loud bang that the cabin shook and a
> light bulb exploded.

Of course they can be scary! I wouldn't want to be in a remote place in
a cabin in the woods on a lake in the middle of a massive thunderstorm.
That's the perfect setting for a horror movie. (j/k)

I recall a very specific incident when I was a teenager. I was in my
bedroom, reading a book. It was the middle of the afternoon but
storming. There was a huge CRACK! and the house shook. At that very
same moment the light bulb in my bedside lamp blew out with a loud
*pop*! Thankfully it didn't explode. I got up to see what was going
on. My parents were in the kitchen looking out back.

Lighting had just hit the only tree in our back yard. A couple of
neighbor boys in the house behind ours were hanging out their bedroom
window saying "Wow! Lightning just hit your tree!"

That strike killed the tree. Dad was arranging to have it taken down
when a few days later another storm came through. The tree got hit
again. Don't believe the old wives tale lightning doesn't strike twice.

Another thing I remember was when the tree company came to take the tree
down, they were up there cutting off limbs first. They found a squirrel
which had likely been flash fried by a bolt of lightning.

Mother Nature can be pretty damn scary.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 11:30:22 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> Mother Nature can be pretty damn scary.
>
> Jill

Makes me wonder WHY humans write fake creation stories and called them Religions!

It's perfectly OBVIOUS who is in charge!! Mother Gaia! Great special effects too! :-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-06 12:30 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

> Of course they can be scary!Â* I wouldn't want to be in a remote place in
> a cabin in the woods on a lake in the middle of a massive thunderstorm.
> That's the perfect setting for a horror movie. (j/k)
>
> I recall a very specific incident when I was a teenager.Â* I was in my
> bedroom, reading a book.Â* It was the middle of the afternoon but
> storming.Â* There was a huge CRACK! and the house shook.Â* At that very
> same moment the light bulb in my bedside lamp blew out with a loud
> *pop*!Â* Thankfully it didn't explode.Â* I got up to see what was going
> on.Â* My parents were in the kitchen looking out back.
>
> Lighting had just hit the only tree in our back yard.Â* A couple of
> neighbor boys in the house behind ours were hanging out their bedroom
> window saying "Wow! Lightning just hit your tree!"
>
> That strike killed the tree.Â* Dad was arranging to have it taken down
> when a few days later another storm came through.Â* The tree got hit
> again.Â* Don't believe the old wives tale lightning doesn't strike twice.

Indeed. I worry about the trees in my front yard. I have two huge maple
trees and they are the tallest things around. Many years ago I was sound
asleep and was awakened by a crack thunder that lifted me right off the
mattress. The next morning my computer was working but the modem was
kaput. I took it out and had a look at it and could see a little black
char where it had arced. That was annoying because modems were $250 at
the time.

> Another thing I remember was when the tree company came to take the tree
> down, they were up there cutting off limbs first.Â* They found a squirrel
> which had likely been flash fried by a bolt of lightning.
>
> Mother Nature can be pretty damn scary.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 11:32:34 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The uncovered portion is screened with metal framing and screen. I
> wonder if it would work like a Faraday cage?

I dunno, maybe ask the builder before you decide to become a guinea pig and
use yourself as a test dummy. And please don't ask your wife to join you on
the lanai while she is seated in her wheelchair.

> A few years back in CT there was a strike someplace near the detached
> garage. It jumped to a floodlight and traveled back to the house and
> took out a receptacle, circuit breaker, TV, stereo receiver, doorbell
> transformer.

YIKES!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 6:32:34 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/6/2019 11:52 AM, wrote:

> >> Nice. I love a good thunderstorm. When they say "take cover", I head
> >> for our covered deck.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> > Y'all be careful on those covered decks and lanais. I had a friend who had
> > 4 Persian cats laying on their covered deck and lightning struck the covered
> > portion and killed the cats. Freak strike and accident for sure.
> >

> The uncovered portion is screened with metal framing and screen. I
> wonder if it would work like a Faraday cage?
>
> A few years back in CT there was a strike someplace near the detached
> garage. It jumped to a floodlight and traveled back to the house and
> took out a receptacle, circuit breaker, TV, stereo receiver, doorbell
> transformer.

A Faraday cage is a grounded shield to suppress radio waves but my guess is that it would be attractive to lightning. I suppose you could build a metal cage around your house and keep it insulated from the earth. That might be a little impractical. Your best bet is to move the hell away from the area.

I don't much care for lightning. Good thing we don't get much over here. When we do get lighting, the sound of thunder bounces off the long mountain range and we hear it as a continuous report. It's rolling thunder - the real stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 13:46:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 6:32:34 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > Y'all be careful on those covered decks and lanais. I had a friend who had
>> > 4 Persian cats laying on their covered deck and lightning struck the covered
>> > portion and killed the cats. Freak strike and accident for sure.
>> >

>> The uncovered portion is screened with metal framing and screen. I
>> wonder if it would work like a Faraday cage?
>>
>> A few years back in CT there was a strike someplace near the detached
>> garage. It jumped to a floodlight and traveled back to the house and
>> took out a receptacle, circuit breaker, TV, stereo receiver, doorbell
>> transformer.

>A Faraday cage is a grounded shield to suppress radio waves but my guess is that it would be attractive to lightning. I suppose you could build a metal cage around your house and keep it insulated from the earth. That might be a little impractical. Your best bet is to move the hell away from the area.
>
>I don't much care for lightning. Good thing we don't get much over here.

Where?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 6:32:34 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Y'all be careful on those covered decks and lanais. I had a friend who had
>>> 4 Persian cats laying on their covered deck and lightning struck the covered
>>> portion and killed the cats. Freak strike and accident for sure.
>>>

>> The uncovered portion is screened with metal framing and screen. I
>> wonder if it would work like a Faraday cage?
>>
>> A few years back in CT there was a strike someplace near the detached
>> garage. It jumped to a floodlight and traveled back to the house and
>> took out a receptacle, circuit breaker, TV, stereo receiver, doorbell
>> transformer.

> A Faraday cage is a grounded shield to suppress radio waves but my guess is that it would be attractive to lightning. I suppose you could build a metal cage around your house and keep it insulated from the earth. That might be a little impractical. Your best bet is to move the hell away from the area.

I've been watching old reruns of Buck Rogers, and he would disagree.
He lived in the 25th century, so that's way ahead of yoose time,
there on yoose little rock.

But yoose go ahead and make yoose wild ass guesses in 2019. Yoose as
ignorant as Popeye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 13:46:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

>>> The uncovered portion is screened with metal framing and screen. I
>>> wonder if it would work like a Faraday cage?
>>>
>>> A few years back in CT there was a strike someplace near the detached
>>> garage. It jumped to a floodlight and traveled back to the house and
>>> took out a receptacle, circuit breaker, TV, stereo receiver, doorbell
>>> transformer.

>> A Faraday cage is a grounded shield to suppress radio waves but my guess is that it would be attractive to lightning. I suppose you could build a metal cage around your house and keep it insulated from the earth. That might be a little impractical. Your best bet is to move the hell away from the area.
>>
>> I don't much care for lightning. Good thing we don't get much over here.

> Where?

His rock dummy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 12:31:48 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

> I've been watching old reruns of Buck Rogers, and he would disagree.
> He lived in the 25th century, so that's way ahead of yoose time,
> there on yoose little rock.
>
> But yoose go ahead and make yoose wild ass guesses in 2019. Yoose as
> ignorant as Popeye.

Which of my wild ass guesses do yoose disagree with? Just name one creep! I'm calling yer bluff!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 11:30:22 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> Mother Nature can be pretty damn scary.
>>
>> Jill

> Makes me wonder WHY humans write fake creation stories and called them Religions!
>
> It's perfectly OBVIOUS who is in charge!! Mother Gaia! Great special effects too! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Like your fake stories about April?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> They can be fun, but they can also be a little scary. Years and years
> ago I went on a hunting trip up by Lake Nip****ing and one night we had
> the best/worst<?> lightning storm I had ever seen. One bolt hit a tree
> near our cabin and there was such a loud bang that the cabin shook and a
> light bulb exploded.

I've had two frightening experiences with lightning. Nevada doesn't get
much of it. When I was about fifteen, I was fly fishing in the middle
of the Madison River on the edge of Yellowstone. A severe lightning
storm passed overhead while I was holding my fly rod in the middle of
the river. I looked to my dad, but he seemed unconcerned. So I kept on
fishing, but I was uncomfortable. I should have been. He was in error.
In Nevada, I was caught in another lightning storm while hunting sage
grouse. I was walking in the middle of a flat desert with a shotgun in
my hand. The nearest lightning drawing Juniper tree was two hundred
yards away. I laid down flat until the storm passed. I was wiser by
then.

leo

Grilling rajiv123 General Cooking 9 22-02-2010 01:47 AM
Grilling Hank Hill Barbecue 20 15-09-2008 02:46 AM
New to gas grilling Tori Barbecue 3 06-06-2007 12:55 AM
I know it's grilling Louis Cohen Barbecue 0 28-12-2006 03:48 AM
Grilling machine that let's you dice/chop/slice meat while grilling Forte Agent General Cooking 2 15-11-2004 12:03 AM