Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Himalayan Pink Salt

On 6/19/2019 11:16 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 6/19/2019 3:16 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> What's this stuff good for? I know I can use in for bathing. But what's
>>> it good for in the kitchen? I have a bag. Not sure where it came from.
>>> Might have been a gift.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> A *slab* of Himalayan Pink Salt is used for cooking applications such as
>> baking meat or fish in the oven or on the grill.
>>
>> https://www.seasalt.com/how-to-use-h...lt-blocks.html
>>
>> "Himalayan pink salt slabs can be heated to as high as 450 degrees
>> Fahrenheit and used to lightly sear all sorts of delicious foods. When
>> the cooking is through, your mineral salt slab will slowly return to
>> room temperature for future use as a cold serving plate."
>>
>> Crushed... probably not intended for cooking. Stick with the bath salts
>> idea.
>>
>> Jill

> Himalayan salt is so out of date. She should just toss it.

Cooking on a pink salt slab was a trend. I'd never have paid a pretty
penny for one. I'd definitely throw out what Julie seems to have.
Crushed, no use in cooking. It would probably clog the drain in the
tub. So I've changed my mind, no to the bath salts.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/19/2019 11:16 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> A *slab* of Himalayan Pink Salt is used for cooking applications such as
>>> baking meat or fish in the oven or on the grill.
>>>
>>> https://www.seasalt.com/how-to-use-h...lt-blocks.html
>>>
>>> "Himalayan pink salt slabs can be heated to as high as 450 degrees
>>> Fahrenheit and used to lightly sear all sorts of delicious foods. When
>>> the cooking is through, your mineral salt slab will slowly return to
>>> room temperature for future use as a cold serving plate."
>>>
>>> Crushed... probably not intended for cooking. Stick with the bath salts
>>> idea.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Himalayan salt is so out of date. She should just toss it.
>>

> Cooking on a pink salt slab was a trend. I'd never have paid a pretty
> penny for one. I'd definitely throw out what Julie seems to have.
> Crushed, no use in cooking. It would probably clog the drain in the tub.
> So I've changed my mind, no to the bath salts.

No. It wouldn't clog the drain. I've been using it that way for years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2019 4:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Himalayan salt is so out of date. She should just toss it.
>>>

>> Cooking on a pink salt slab was a trend.Â* I'd never have paid a pretty
>> penny for one.Â* I'd definitely throw out what Julie seems to have.
>> Crushed, no use in cooking.Â* It would probably clog the drain in the
>> tub. So I've changed my mind, no to the bath salts.

> No. It wouldn't clog the drain. I've been using it that way for years.

Then why bother to ask what do do with it?! And don't say you didn't
ask because you did.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2019 4:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Himalayan salt is so out of date. She should just toss it.
>>>

>> Cooking on a pink salt slab was a trend.Â* I'd never have paid a pretty
>> penny for one.Â* I'd definitely throw out what Julie seems to have.
>> Crushed, no use in cooking.Â* It would probably clog the drain in the
>> tub. So I've changed my mind, no to the bath salts.

> No. It wouldn't clog the drain. I've been using it that way for years.

McCormicks has the pink sale in the grinder for table use. I don't see
where it would be a problem to use like an other salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/19/2019 4:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Cooking on a pink salt slab was a trend. I'd never have paid a pretty
>>> penny for one. I'd definitely throw out what Julie seems to have.
>>> Crushed, no use in cooking. It would probably clog the drain in the tub.
>>> So I've changed my mind, no to the bath salts.

>> No. It wouldn't clog the drain. I've been using it that way for years.

> Then why bother to ask what do do with it?! And don't say you didn't ask
> because you did.
>
> Jill

Look up and see what I wrote, Jill. I said I know I can use it for bathing!
Gah!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/19/2019 4:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Cooking on a pink salt slab was a trend. I'd never have paid a pretty
>>> penny for one. I'd definitely throw out what Julie seems to have.
>>> Crushed, no use in cooking. It would probably clog the drain in the tub.
>>> So I've changed my mind, no to the bath salts.

>> No. It wouldn't clog the drain. I've been using it that way for years.

> McCormicks has the pink sale in the grinder for table use. I don't see
> where it would be a problem to use like an other salt.

I did some research. It's a finishing salt said to contain lots of minerals.
Supposed to taste less salty than other said. It was suggested to eat it on
buttered toast. I shall try that when I get some bread. I am fresh out and
the bread outlet was closed by the time I got out that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I did some research. It's a finishing salt said to contain lots of minerals.
> Supposed to taste less salty than other said. It was suggested to eat it on
> buttered toast. I shall try that when I get some bread. I am fresh out and
> the bread outlet was closed by the time I got out that way.

Salting buttered toast? What's wrong with you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 7:15:20 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > I did some research. It's a finishing salt said to contain lots of minerals.
> > Supposed to taste less salty than other said. It was suggested to eat it on
> > buttered toast. I shall try that when I get some bread. I am fresh out and
> > the bread outlet was closed by the time I got out that way.

> Salting buttered toast? What's wrong with you?

I do the same. What's wrong with salting it?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 7:15:20 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> > >
> > > I did some research. It's a finishing salt said to contain lots of minerals.
> > > Supposed to taste less salty than other said. It was suggested to eat it on
> > > buttered toast. I shall try that when I get some bread. I am fresh out and
> > > the bread outlet was closed by the time I got out that way.

> > Salting buttered toast? What's wrong with you?

> I do the same. What's wrong with salting it?

Do you really? Why the urge or need?
Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
Why not just use salted butter?

I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
salt on a slice of buttered toast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 9:05:18 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Salting buttered toast? What's wrong with you?

> > I do the same. What's wrong with salting it?

> Do you really? Why the urge or need?

It tastes better that way.

> Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
> Why not just use salted butter?

Nope. Salted butter plus salt.

> I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
> salt on a slice of buttered toast.

Sometimes it's lemon-pepper seasoning instead.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-20 7:15 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I did some research. It's a finishing salt said to contain lots of minerals.
>> Supposed to taste less salty than other said. It was suggested to eat it on
>> buttered toast. I shall try that when I get some bread. I am fresh out and
>> the bread outlet was closed by the time I got out that way.

> Salting buttered toast? What's wrong with you?

Oh no, That could be good. A heaping teaspoon of salt on butter toast
could be delicious, but be sure to use unsalted butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2019 9:05 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Salting buttered toast? What's wrong with you?

>> I do the same. What's wrong with salting it?

> Do you really? Why the urge or need?
> Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
> Why not just use salted butter?
>
> I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
> salt on a slice of buttered toast.

Nor have I but I'm going to try it. One of the good things of eating a
good potato chip is the hit of salt you get. This would be similar.

Finishing salt is course and give a little crunch to the food too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 9:33:31 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Nor have I but I'm going to try it. One of the good things of eating a
> good potato chip is the hit of salt you get. This would be similar.

When I butter and run a split English muffin under the broiler it gets a mere
dusting of salt when it comes out. Really adds to the flavor and it's not
overly salty or briny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 09:05:18 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > Salting buttered toast? What's wrong with you?

>> I do the same. What's wrong with salting it?

>Do you really? Why the urge or need?
>Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
>Why not just use salted butter?
>
>I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
>salt on a slice of buttered toast.

I've never heard of salting toast nor have I ever done it. Some people
have weak taste buds so they need all the help they can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 2:07:06 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 09:05:18 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I do the same. What's wrong with salting it?

> >Do you really? Why the urge or need?
> >Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
> >Why not just use salted butter?
> >
> >I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
> >salt on a slice of buttered toast.

> I've never heard of salting toast nor have I ever done it. Some people
> have weak taste buds so they need all the help they can get.

I have quite good taste buds. They love the taste of salt, in addition
to a myriad other flavors.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 11:11:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 2:07:06 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>> >Do you really? Why the urge or need?
>> >Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
>> >Why not just use salted butter?
>> >
>> >I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
>> >salt on a slice of buttered toast.

>> I've never heard of salting toast nor have I ever done it. Some people
>> have weak taste buds so they need all the help they can get.

>I have quite good taste buds. They love the taste of salt, in addition
>to a myriad other flavors.

To each their own. I don't like undersalted food, but I don't want to
taste the salt on its own. Although, maybe a bit on an egg or a
chip/crisp...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 8:07:06 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 09:05:18 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I do the same. What's wrong with salting it?

> >Do you really? Why the urge or need?
> >Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
> >Why not just use salted butter?
> >
> >I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
> >salt on a slice of buttered toast.

> I've never heard of salting toast nor have I ever done it. Some people
> have weak taste buds so they need all the help they can get.

That's actually a common misconception.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=127914467
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 3:39:41 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 8:07:06 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> > >Do you really? Why the urge or need?
> > >Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
> > >Why not just use salted butter?
> > >
> > >I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
> > >salt on a slice of buttered toast.

> > I've never heard of salting toast nor have I ever done it. Some people
> > have weak taste buds so they need all the help they can get.

> That's actually a common misconception.
>
> https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=127914467

I'd guess it saturates the receptors and keeps supertasters from being
overwhelmed by the bitter, sour, and sweet.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 8:07:06 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>> >Do you really? Why the urge or need?
>> >Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
>> >Why not just use salted butter?
>> >
>> >I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
>> >salt on a slice of buttered toast.

>> I've never heard of salting toast nor have I ever done it. Some people
>> have weak taste buds so they need all the help they can get.

> That's actually a common misconception.
>
> https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=127914467

Interesting! Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 9:49:27 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 3:39:41 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > I've never heard of salting toast nor have I ever done it. Some people
> > > have weak taste buds so they need all the help they can get.

> > That's actually a common misconception.
> >
> > https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=127914467

> I'd guess it saturates the receptors and keeps supertasters from being
> overwhelmed by the bitter, sour, and sweet.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's possible. A lot of aspies will wear
headphones, either to drown out the outside
world or cut down all sounds. I'm not sure
which one it is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 9:56:24 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> I've never heard of salting toast nor have I ever done it. Some people
> >> have weak taste buds so they need all the help they can get.

> > That's actually a common misconception.
> >
> > https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=127914467

> Interesting! Thanks!

OTOH, Asian cooks can control the amount of
rice a person eats by varying the amount of
salt in his dishes. Extra salt means more
rice will be consumed. Neat huh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2019 7:15 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I did some research. It's a finishing salt said to contain lots of minerals.
>> Supposed to taste less salty than other said. It was suggested to eat it on
>> buttered toast. I shall try that when I get some bread. I am fresh out and
>> the bread outlet was closed by the time I got out that way.

> Salting buttered toast? What's wrong with you?

You have to ask? She asked what to do with this salt it yet rebuts any
suggestions. And now she's gone to the bread outlet but oh, it was
closed. Wait... doesn't she claim to bake a lot of bread?

Anyway, she said she knows she can use the Himalayan Pink Salt Crystals
as bath salts. Personally, I wouldn't use bath salt grade salt crystals
for cooking. Hope that's okay with everyone.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2019 10:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/20/2019 9:05 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I do the same.Â* What's wrong with salting it?

>> Do you really? Why the urge or need?
>> Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
>> Why not just use salted butter?
>>
>> I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
>> salt on a slice of buttered toast.
>>

> Nor have I but I'm going to try it.Â* One of the good things of eating a
> good potato chip is the hit of salt you get.Â* This would be similar.

That's a great analogy, Ed! Gary might equate it with salty fries.
There's a fairly miniscule amount of salt in salted butter. I sure
can't taste it. I don't hesitate to add some salt to salted butter if
it will make something taste better. Then again, I don't have issues
with sodium.

> Finishing salt is course and give a little crunch to the food too.

I don't bother with things like finishing salts. I see a lot of mention
of Maldon sea salt on PBS cooking shows. Can't be bothered to buy it
just to sprinkle a little over the top of something.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/20/2019 7:15 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I did some research. It's a finishing salt said to contain lots of
>>> minerals.
>>> Supposed to taste less salty than other said. It was suggested to eat it
>>> on
>>> buttered toast. I shall try that when I get some bread. I am fresh out
>>> and
>>> the bread outlet was closed by the time I got out that way.

>> Salting buttered toast? What's wrong with you?
>>

> You have to ask? She asked what to do with this salt it yet rebuts any
> suggestions. And now she's gone to the bread outlet but oh, it was
> closed. Wait... doesn't she claim to bake a lot of bread?
>
> Anyway, she said she knows she can use the Himalayan Pink Salt Crystals as
> bath salts. Personally, I wouldn't use bath salt grade salt crystals for
> cooking. Hope that's okay with everyone.

I did bake bread. The gardener has to eat gluten free bread. I can make
gluten free bread and I do sometimes make GF quick breads. The GF flour is
not cheap though. And he eats a lot of bread. It is $4.99 per loaf at the
Franz Outlet. Sometimes I find it in the marked down section for less. They
also have a GF punch card. For every 10 GF products I buy, I get a free one.
They also sell GF cookies, crackers and various mixes. Cheaper prices than
other places. And they sell things other than just baked goods such as milk,
butter, chips, spices, jam, honey, pasta and condiments. Their selection of
"other" things varies. I used to buy GF beef jerky there.

I went there the following day. They were massively overstocked. Lady asked
if I wanted free bagels. I don't personally like bagels but Angela does. I
got three free bags of blueberry mini bagels and 6 items from the "free"
rack. Sometimes the free items expire on the following day but usually not.
I got one white and one whole wheat big round loaf of Seattle Sourdough, a
restaurant pack (huge amount) of white dinner rolls and three restaurant
packs of hamburger buns with sesame seeds all for free!

I always give Angela whatever she wants of the free stuff. Sometimes I give
things to my friend in Shoreline if I'm going out that way and they have
what her family eats. They have a narrow scope of what they will eat. I
almost always get a free thing that I like. I always check the free rack on
the way in. Occasionally I will buy something for myself. All of the free
stuff exp. June 25 or later. My gardener has goats. His goats will eat most
anything so I just go for the largest stuff I can get for free. He feeds it
to his goats.

My entire front passenger seat was full of bread, about half of which was
free! I am actually saving a lot of money by buying the bread there. I have
a punch card for regular stuff too. One punch for every $10 spent. When the
10 punches are filled, I get one item from the marked down section for free.
I have not quite figured out the system of what goes where. I think it's
more a matter of what they have the most of and not the exp. date.

I'm sure by this point, you will have dropped out and not read it all. I did
ask what to do with the salt. You mentioned a salt plank. Had I had a salt
plank, I would have said that. You told me to use it in the bath. I already
knew that and said that. Up until that point, Ed seemed to be the only one
familiar with that salt. So I looked it up, saw the toast thing and posted
it just in case someone else wanted to try it. This is a cooking group and
that salt is pretty common, at least here. Perhaps it is not in the land of
no cell phones.

And now? I'm going to have dinner. I made a nice tuna salad with Just Mayo.
I shall stuff a free pita bread with it and perhaps have a couple of Ruffles
potato chips on the side.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/20/2019 10:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Do you really? Why the urge or need?
>>> Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
>>> Why not just use salted butter?
>>>
>>> I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
>>> salt on a slice of buttered toast.
>>>

>> Nor have I but I'm going to try it. One of the good things of eating a
>> good potato chip is the hit of salt you get. This would be similar.
>>

> That's a great analogy, Ed! Gary might equate it with salty fries.
> There's a fairly miniscule amount of salt in salted butter. I sure can't
> taste it. I don't hesitate to add some salt to salted butter if it will
> make something taste better. Then again, I don't have issues with sodium.
>
>> Finishing salt is course and give a little crunch to the food too.

> I don't bother with things like finishing salts. I see a lot of mention
> of Maldon sea salt on PBS cooking shows. Can't be bothered to buy it just
> to sprinkle a little over the top of something.

You're really missing out! I had some that I got on clearance from Sur Le
Table. I got rave reviews when I put it on steak. Alas when I looked around
to buy more, I did find it but it was very expensive. Had I known how good
it was, I would have bought more at the clearance price!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> [...]

I have not quite figured out the system of what goes where. I think it's
more a matter of what they have the most of and not the exp. date.

I'm sure by this point, you will have dropped out and not read it all. I did
ask what to do with the salt. You mentioned a salt plank. Had I had a salt
plank, I would have said that. You told me to use it in the bath. I already
knew that and said that. Up until that point, Ed seemed to be the only one
familiar with that salt. So I looked it up, saw the toast thing and posted
it just in case someone else wanted to try it. This is a cooking group and
that salt is pretty common, at least here. Perhaps it is not in the land of
no cell phones.

And now? I'm going to have dinner. I made a nice tuna salad with Just Mayo.
I shall stuff a free pita bread with it and perhaps have a couple of Ruffles

===

You are very lucky to have so much free food! I never see anything like
that here!

We do have a counter for things that are marked down, but never free!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2019 11:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> I don't bother with things like finishing salts.Â* I see a lot of
>> mention of Maldon sea salt on PBS cooking shows.Â* Can't be bothered to
>> buy it just to sprinkle a little over the top of something.

> You're really missing out! I had some that I got on clearance from Sur
> Le Table. I got rave reviews when I put it on steak. Alas when I looked
> around to buy more, I did find it but it was very expensive. Had I known
> how good it was, I would have bought more at the clearance price!

Well then, maybe I'll pick some up.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > > Nor have I but I'm going to try it. One of the good things of
> > > eating a good potato chip is the hit of salt you get. This would
> > > be similar.
> > >

> > That's a great analogy, Ed! Gary might equate it with salty fries.
> > There's a fairly miniscule amount of salt in salted butter. I
> > sure can't taste it. I don't hesitate to add some salt to salted
> > butter if it will make something taste better. Then again, I
> > don't have issues with sodium.
> >
> > > Finishing salt is course and give a little crunch to the food too.

> > I don't bother with things like finishing salts. I see a lot of
> > mention of Maldon sea salt on PBS cooking shows. Can't be
> > bothered to buy it just to sprinkle a little over the top of
> > something.

> You're really missing out! I had some that I got on clearance from
> Sur Le Table. I got rave reviews when I put it on steak. Alas when I
> looked around to buy more, I did find it but it was very expensive.
> Had I known how good it was, I would have bought more at the
> clearance price!

I agree, I have Maldon's Sea Salt and kosher flake salt in use here.
The way the texture works makes it hit the taste buds a bit better so
you end up actually using less salt on a meal.

Don also uses a lower sodium salt substitute at times.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-22, jmcquown > wrote:

> I sure can't taste it.

I sure can.

"Sweet butter" has no salt, so when I find myself w/ no
salted butter, I will salt my buttered toast.

I can taste the difference immediately. Land O' Lakes (LoL),
Challenge, and other premium US butters have more salt than cheap-o
house brands, organic, and European butters.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2019 9:54 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> I don't bother with things like finishing salts. I see a lot of
>>> mention of Maldon sea salt on PBS cooking shows. Can't be
>>> bothered to buy it just to sprinkle a little over the top of
>>> something.

>> You're really missing out! I had some that I got on clearance from
>> Sur Le Table. I got rave reviews when I put it on steak. Alas when I
>> looked around to buy more, I did find it but it was very expensive.
>> Had I known how good it was, I would have bought more at the
>> clearance price!

> I agree, I have Maldon's Sea Salt and kosher flake salt in use here.
> The way the texture works makes it hit the taste buds a bit better so
> you end up actually using less salt on a meal.

Okay ladies (and Ed), I stand corrected. I'll look for Maldon's. Gotta
have salt on a steak! I won't be buying it from Sur La Table, though.

> Don also uses a lower sodium salt substitute at times.

I've tried "lite salt" - a blend of sodium and potassium chloride - and
"no salt - potassium cloride; it tastes bitter to me.

On things such as pasta tossed with a little butter and oil, I find Mrs.
Dash garlic & herb salt-free blend does a fine job of seasoning. The
only salt added is in the pasta cooking water. Mrs. Dash makes an
extensive line of salt-free seasoning blends.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2019 10:18 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> I agree, I have Maldon's Sea Salt and kosher flake salt in use here.
>> The way the texture works makes it hit the taste buds a bit better so
>> you end up actually using less salt on a meal.
>>

> Okay ladies (and Ed), I stand corrected.Â* I'll look for Maldon's.Â* Gotta
> have salt on a steak!Â* I won't be buying it from Sur La Table, though.

Look for it on sale someplace. You may find it with the housewares at
TJ Maxx type of stores for cheap.

This morning I had toast with my eggs. I tool a piece of it, laden with
butter, and salted it. Yes, it was pretty good. Not something I'd
crave, but a little different taste. Worth trying at least once.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 6/22/2019 9:54 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> > > You're really missing out! I had some that I got on clearance from
> > > Sur Le Table. I got rave reviews when I put it on steak. Alas
> > > when I looked around to buy more, I did find it but it was very
> > > expensive. Had I known how good it was, I would have bought more
> > > at the clearance price!

> > I agree, I have Maldon's Sea Salt and kosher flake salt in use here.
> > The way the texture works makes it hit the taste buds a bit better
> > so you end up actually using less salt on a meal.
> >

> Okay ladies (and Ed), I stand corrected. I'll look for Maldon's.
> Gotta have salt on a steak! I won't be buying it from Sur La Table,
> though.
>
> > Don also uses a lower sodium salt substitute at times.
> >

> I've tried "lite salt" - a blend of sodium and potassium chloride -
> and "no salt - potassium cloride; it tastes bitter to me.
>
> On things such as pasta tossed with a little butter and oil, I find
> Mrs. Dash garlic & herb salt-free blend does a fine job of seasoning.
> The only salt added is in the pasta cooking water. Mrs. Dash makes
> an extensive line of salt-free seasoning blends.
>
> Jill

https://www.amazon.com/Maldon-Sea-Sa...dp/B00017028M/

$5.49 right now for a box that will last you probably 5 years (grin).

The 'lite salt' tastes a bit off to me as well but Don says you get
used to it quickly.

I do use some MS Dash blends, but mostly we worked our way into just
not adding salt much and getting reduced sodium foods. We use a lot of
salt free spice blends and make some of our own from scratch.

It's one of the times where you really have to read the labels.

Case in point, the brand names of tomato sauces (Heinz, Hunts etc.) are
horrifically high. I remember teaching Charlotte when we were in
Sasebo to pay close attention to the serving size as the ones really
high, tend to 'pretend' they aren't by using a 'serving' of 1TB. Look
to the bottom shelf and the less known brands and you will find they
can be as low as 15-25mg sodium per 1/4-1/2 cup. Range depends on type
of product and of course, tomato paste due to concentration will be
higher.

Some lower sodium products don't work for us tastewise so we use
portion control there. Cream of Mushroom soup is one of those for us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2019 11:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/22/2019 10:18 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>>> I agree, I have Maldon's Sea Salt and kosher flake salt in use here.
>>> The way the texture works makes it hit the taste buds a bit better so
>>> you end up actually using less salt on a meal.
>>>

>> Okay ladies (and Ed), I stand corrected.Â* I'll look for Maldon's.
>> Gotta have salt on a steak!Â* I won't be buying it from Sur La Table,
>> though.

> Look for it on sale someplace.Â* You may find it with the housewares at
> TJ Maxx type of stores for cheap.

Do you have a TJ Maxx nearby? I vaguely remember that store in Memphis,
TN. My mother liked that store. Or maybe it was Marshall's. Hmmm.
Not sure. Neither one is near Beaufort.

Decades ago my mother bought me a 'Lobster for Two' set. I don't know
if it was at TJ Maxx or Marshall's. And yes, I've kept it all these
years. I dug it out of the kitchen cabinet to take a pic:

https://i.postimg.cc/3JjV5XKC/lobsterkit.jpg

Two souffle cups for holding drawn butter and metal claw crackers.

https://i.postimg.cc/sDXzcHPG/price.jpg

It was too funny. We lived in Memphis, TN. Landlocked. Not lobster
country.

Because it was on sale at one of those stores that suggest gifts. For
when you just don't know what to give to someone. Unfortunately, I
don't cook a lot of lobster. I do still have the lobster set.

> This morning I had toast with my eggs.Â* I tool a piece of it, laden with
> butter, and salted it.Â* Yes, it was pretty good.Â* Not something I'd
> crave, but a little different taste.Â* Worth trying at least once.

I'll check Publix for the Maldon salt. I tend to like herbs in
scrambled eggs.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-22 8:18 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/22/2019 9:54 AM, cshenk wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You're really missing out! I had some that I got on clearance from
>>> Sur Le Table. I got rave reviews when I put it on steak. Alas when I
>>> looked around to buy more, I did find it but it was very expensive.
>>> Had I known how good it was, I would have bought more at the
>>> clearance price!

>> I agree, I have Maldon's Sea Salt and kosher flake salt in use here.
>> The way the texture works makes it hit the taste buds a bit better so
>> you end up actually using less salt on a meal.
>>

> Okay ladies (and Ed), I stand corrected.Â* I'll look for Maldon's.

Actually, it's just "Maldon", named for the place in Essex, UK, where it
is made.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 5:59:39 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> >> Nor have I but I'm going to try it. One of the good things of eating a
> >> good potato chip is the hit of salt you get. This would be similar.
> >>

> > That's a great analogy, Ed! Gary might equate it with salty fries.
> > There's a fairly miniscule amount of salt in salted butter. I sure can't
> > taste it. I don't hesitate to add some salt to salted butter if it will
> > make something taste better. Then again, I don't have issues with sodium.
> >
> >> Finishing salt is course and give a little crunch to the food too.

> > I don't bother with things like finishing salts. I see a lot of mention
> > of Maldon sea salt on PBS cooking shows. Can't be bothered to buy it just
> > to sprinkle a little over the top of something.

> You're really missing out! I had some that I got on clearance from Sur Le
> Table. I got rave reviews when I put it on steak. Alas when I looked around
> to buy more, I did find it but it was very expensive. Had I known how good
> it was, I would have bought more at the clearance price!

I just love my container of big crystal sea salt. The wacky thing about it is the rotating seal on the top has a big hole and a sifting type hole. The big hole works fine but the other part won't allow a single grain to pass through. They should keep the big hole and add a giant hole. My guess is that I'm going to have a hard time replacing it when the container is empty but I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> [...]

> already
> knew that and said that. Up until that point, Ed seemed to be the only one
> familiar with that salt. So I looked it up, saw the toast thing and posted
> it just in case someone else wanted to try it. This is a cooking group and
> that salt is pretty common, at least here. Perhaps it is not in the land
> of
> no cell phones.
>
> And now? I'm going to have dinner. I made a nice tuna salad with Just
> Mayo.
> I shall stuff a free pita bread with it and perhaps have a couple of
> Ruffles
> potato chips on the side.
>
> ===
>
> You are very lucky to have so much free food! I never see anything
> like that here!
>
> We do have a counter for things that are marked down, but never free!

There was a bread outlet in Oakland CA that did the same. I went in and
bought a pack of English Muffins. Nothing else. They gave me 10 free packs.
We were all pretty horrified. I gave some away but dang. Meals for weeks
featured English Muffins in some form or another!

When I worked at K Mart, we would give out free seasonal stuff to the
customers at closing time if we had a lot. One night, everyone got a
strawberry pie. Another time it was as many Easter Lilies and bags of jelly
beans as you wanted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> ===
>
> You are very lucky to have so much free food! I never see anything
> like that here!
>
> We do have a counter for things that are marked down, but never free!

There was a bread outlet in Oakland CA that did the same. I went in and
bought a pack of English Muffins. Nothing else. They gave me 10 free packs.
We were all pretty horrified. I gave some away but dang. Meals for weeks
featured English Muffins in some form or another!

When I worked at K Mart, we would give out free seasonal stuff to the
customers at closing time if we had a lot. One night, everyone got a
strawberry pie. Another time it was as many Easter Lilies and bags of jelly
beans as you wanted.

===

I have heard that at closing time, all the reduced foods are reduced
even further, but I have never heard of anything free like that. I have
also heard that a certain group of folk are always there waiting)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 10:42:08 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]

> > it just in case someone else wanted to try it. This is a cooking group and
> > that salt is pretty common, at least here. Perhaps it is not in the land
> > of
> > no cell phones.
> >
> > And now? I'm going to have dinner. I made a nice tuna salad with Just
> > Mayo.
> > I shall stuff a free pita bread with it and perhaps have a couple of
> > Ruffles
> > potato chips on the side.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > You are very lucky to have so much free food! I never see anything
> > like that here!
> >
> > We do have a counter for things that are marked down, but never free!

> There was a bread outlet in Oakland CA that did the same. I went in and
> bought a pack of English Muffins. Nothing else. They gave me 10 free packs.

They forced you to take the packages that you didn't want? How terrible
for you.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2019 7:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 10:42:08 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I did bake bread. The gardener has to eat gluten free bread. I can make
>>> gluten free bread and I do sometimes make GF quick breads. The GF flour is
>>> not cheap though. And he eats a lot of bread. It is $4.99 per loaf at the
>>> Franz Outlet. Sometimes I find it in the marked down section for less.
>>> They
>>> also have a GF punch card. For every 10 GF products I buy, I get a free
>>> one.
>>> They also sell GF cookies, crackers and various mixes. Cheaper prices than
>>> other places. And they sell things other than just baked goods such as
>>> milk,
>>> butter, chips, spices, jam, honey, pasta and condiments. Their selection
>>> of
>>> "other" things varies. I used to buy GF beef jerky there.
>>>
>>> I went there the following day. They were massively overstocked. Lady
>>> asked
>>> if I wanted free bagels. I don't personally like bagels but Angela does. I
>>> got three free bags of blueberry mini bagels and 6 items from the "free"
>>> rack. Sometimes the free items expire on the following day but usually
>>> not.
>>> I got one white and one whole wheat big round loaf of Seattle Sourdough, a
>>> restaurant pack (huge amount) of white dinner rolls and three restaurant
>>> packs of hamburger buns with sesame seeds all for free!
>>>
>>> I always give Angela whatever she wants of the free stuff. Sometimes I
>>> give
>>> things to my friend in Shoreline if I'm going out that way and they have
>>> what her family eats. They have a narrow scope of what they will eat. I
>>> almost always get a free thing that I like. I always check the free rack
>>> on
>>> the way in. Occasionally I will buy something for myself. All of the free
>>> stuff exp. June 25 or later. My gardener has goats. His goats will eat
>>> most
>>> anything so I just go for the largest stuff I can get for free. He feeds
>>> it
>>> to his goats.
>>>
>>> My entire front passenger seat was full of bread, about half of which was
>>> free! I am actually saving a lot of money by buying the bread there. I
>>> have
>>> a punch card for regular stuff too. One punch for every $10 spent. When
>>> the
>>> 10 punches are filled, I get one item from the marked down section for
>>> free.
>>> I have not quite figured out the system of what goes where. I think it's
>>> more a matter of what they have the most of and not the exp. date.
>>>
>>> I'm sure by this point, you will have dropped out and not read it all.
>>> And now? I'm going to have dinner. I made a nice tuna salad with Just
>>> Mayo.

Oh goody! Fake Mayo!

>>> I shall stuff a free pita bread with it and perhaps have a couple of
>>> Ruffles
>>> potato chips on the side.

Ruffles have Ridges.

>>> You are very lucky to have so much free food! I never see anything
>>> like that here!
>>>
>>> We do have a counter for things that are marked down, but never free!

>> There was a bread outlet in Oakland CA that did the same. I went in and
>> bought a pack of English Muffins. Nothing else. They gave me 10 free packs.
>> We were all pretty horrified.

> They forced you to take the packages that you didn't want? How terrible
> for you.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

And they were "all pretty horrified" at being given free stuff! And of
course she's going to go out of her way to give some free bread to her
friend if she manages to drive by. Sheesh.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> There was a bread outlet in Oakland CA that did the same. I went in and
> bought a pack of English Muffins. Nothing else. They gave me 10 free packs.
> We were all pretty horrified. I gave some away but dang. Meals for weeks
> featured English Muffins in some form or another!

Why horrified? You should go to that Oakland outfit more often.
Freeze the extra's. Doesn't hurt muffins at all. Toast them and
consider yourself lucky.

Julie: "No freezer space."