Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My First Digiorno's

AKA, The Katz Specials. These occupy 1/4th the freezer space in
Pussy Katz's freezer.

$5/ea, original "rising crust". "Supreme" and "Three mMeat". I
swapped around some toppings and added shrooms, salami, and pecorino
romano cheese to different halves or wholes.

They "rise up" too much and turn into big donuts about 1.25" thick
(even with added ingredients weighing the crust down). Sufficient
sauce, could use some more cheese than provided. Filling, I though
I'd be able to eat a whole pizza but had trouble doing 3/4's (hadn't
eaten for at least 36 hours).

Box says, "We source only the finest ingredients from all over the
world". But the "sausage" and "beef topping" are mainly textured
vegetable protein (fake meat). And the pepperoni and sausage are
also mechanically separated chicken. Legal, FDA-approved pepperoni
and sausage are made out of pork and beef. And the "beef topping"
should be mostly beef, not TVP.

I'll try some of the crust styles for $5 or $6 and doctor them up
with REAL ingredients, but the rising crust was just kinda nyeh, all
things considered (too much dough, fake ingredients). I would not
enjoy it as provided for $5 without adding some extra stuff.

The instructions say to remove box, over-wrap, and cardboard tray.
I guess they downsized the cardboard tray to "non-existent" and
didn't tell the instruction-writers. I suppose in another couple
years these will be about as delightful as Hot Pockets as they
gradually turn them into complete shit.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 May 2019 18:39:16 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>AKA, The Katz Specials. These occupy 1/4th the freezer space in
>Pussy Katz's freezer.
>
>$5/ea, original "rising crust". "Supreme" and "Three mMeat". I
>swapped around some toppings and added shrooms, salami, and pecorino
>romano cheese to different halves or wholes.
>
>They "rise up" too much and turn into big donuts about 1.25" thick
>(even with added ingredients weighing the crust down). Sufficient
>sauce, could use some more cheese than provided. Filling, I though
>I'd be able to eat a whole pizza but had trouble doing 3/4's (hadn't
>eaten for at least 36 hours).
>
>Box says, "We source only the finest ingredients from all over the
>world". But the "sausage" and "beef topping" are mainly textured
>vegetable protein (fake meat). And the pepperoni and sausage are
>also mechanically separated chicken. Legal, FDA-approved pepperoni
>and sausage are made out of pork and beef. And the "beef topping"
>should be mostly beef, not TVP.
>
>I'll try some of the crust styles for $5 or $6 and doctor them up
>with REAL ingredients, but the rising crust was just kinda nyeh, all
>things considered (too much dough, fake ingredients). I would not
>enjoy it as provided for $5 without adding some extra stuff.
>
>The instructions say to remove box, over-wrap, and cardboard tray.
>I guess they downsized the cardboard tray to "non-existent" and
>didn't tell the instruction-writers. I suppose in another couple
>years these will be about as delightful as Hot Pockets as they
>gradually turn them into complete shit.
>
>-sw

Ingredients are no different than pizzaria pies, most use fake meat
and fake mozz these days or people wouldn't pay the price... only
thing better about pizzaria pies is a better crust and it's hand
tossed. I stopped buying frozen pizza two years ago... no additions
can make it better. I finally found a place nearby that serves a good
hand made large pie (18") for $17.50. Twenty miles away makes it too
far for take out as it would be ice cold before it gets home so when
we're nearby we stop in. They make great calzones too so sometimes
we'll bring one home for the next day, calzone reheats well in the
nuker, but not pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 May 2019 20:16:44 -0400, wrote:

> On Wed, 22 May 2019 18:39:16 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>AKA, The Katz Specials. These occupy 1/4th the freezer space in
>>Pussy Katz's freezer.
>>
>>$5/ea, original "rising crust". "Supreme" and "Three mMeat". I
>>swapped around some toppings and added shrooms, salami, and pecorino
>>romano cheese to different halves or wholes.
>>
>>They "rise up" too much and turn into big donuts about 1.25" thick
>>(even with added ingredients weighing the crust down). Sufficient
>>sauce, could use some more cheese than provided. Filling, I though
>>I'd be able to eat a whole pizza but had trouble doing 3/4's (hadn't
>>eaten for at least 36 hours).
>>
>>Box says, "We source only the finest ingredients from all over the
>>world". But the "sausage" and "beef topping" are mainly textured
>>vegetable protein (fake meat). And the pepperoni and sausage are
>>also mechanically separated chicken. Legal, FDA-approved pepperoni
>>and sausage are made out of pork and beef. And the "beef topping"
>>should be mostly beef, not TVP.
>>
>>I'll try some of the crust styles for $5 or $6 and doctor them up
>>with REAL ingredients, but the rising crust was just kinda nyeh, all
>>things considered (too much dough, fake ingredients). I would not
>>enjoy it as provided for $5 without adding some extra stuff.
>>
>>The instructions say to remove box, over-wrap, and cardboard tray.
>>I guess they downsized the cardboard tray to "non-existent" and
>>didn't tell the instruction-writers. I suppose in another couple
>>years these will be about as delightful as Hot Pockets as they
>>gradually turn them into complete shit.
>>
>>-sw

> Ingredients are no different than pizzaria pies, most use fake meat
> and fake mozz these days

Nullshit. M<aybe Cici's and Chcuke E Cheeses, but no other decent
pizzaplace used fake meat. None. Maybe the one YOU go to, but none
of the others do.

Lets take Pizza Hut for example:

https://www.pizzahut.ca/ingredients

All pork and beef and real cheese. Soy Protein Concentrate isn't
anything like TVP and is a common and acceptable additive unlike
TVP.

So if Pizza Slut isn't doing it, then who are these pizzerias you're
referring to, you 'ol crotchety fart?

Stick to your TIAD Digiorno pizzas, Shelly. You wouldn't know real
pizza if it slapped you upside the face.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
> wrote:

> They make great calzones too so sometimes
> we'll bring one home for the next day, calzone reheats well in the
> nuker, but not pizza.

Pizzas reheat real well in a 400F oven in about eight minutes. But you
knew that.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 12:15:43 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> > wrote:
>
> > They make great calzones too so sometimes
> > we'll bring one home for the next day, calzone reheats well in the
> > nuker, but not pizza.

> Pizzas reheat real well in a 400F oven in about eight minutes. But you
> knew that.
>
> leo

I've done that. It's even faster when you heat pizza in a frying pan. I like to flip the pizza over and brown the top to. You have to use a non-stick pan though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 May 2019 16:50:01 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 12:15:43 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> In article >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > They make great calzones too so sometimes
>> > we'll bring one home for the next day, calzone reheats well in the
>> > nuker, but not pizza.

>> Pizzas reheat real well in a 400F oven in about eight minutes. But you
>> knew that.
>>
>> leo

>I've done that. It's even faster when you heat pizza in a frying pan. I like to flip the pizza over and brown the top to. You have to use a non-stick pan though.

That's a bizarre idea. A true pizza Hawaii.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2019 7:50 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> Pizzas reheat real well in a 400F oven in about eight minutes. But you
>> knew that.
>>
>> leo

> I've done that. It's even faster when you heat pizza in a frying pan. I like to flip the pizza over and brown the top to. You have to use a non-stick pan though.

I reheat slices in a frying pan all the time, never thought of flipping
it. That is the tip of the week. Next time I'll do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 May 2019 15:15:38 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> > wrote:
>
>> They make great calzones too so sometimes
>> we'll bring one home for the next day, calzone reheats well in the
>> nuker, but not pizza.

> Pizzas reheat real well in a 400F oven in about eight minutes. But you
> knew that.

Leftover pizza in a skillet with a little bit of water underneath
and a lid over medium-high heat (depending on crust thickness) is
the only way to reheat pizza. This is a proven fact.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Sqwertz
> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 May 2019 15:15:38 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> > Pizzas reheat real well in a 400F oven in about eight minutes. But you
> > knew that.

> Leftover pizza in a skillet with a little bit of water underneath
> and a lid over medium-high heat (depending on crust thickness) is
> the only way to reheat pizza. This is a proven fact.

Pffffft

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 May 2019 19:07:32 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >, Sqwertz
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 May 2019 15:15:38 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

>>> Pizzas reheat real well in a 400F oven in about eight minutes. But you
>>> knew that.

>> Leftover pizza in a skillet with a little bit of water underneath
>> and a lid over medium-high heat (depending on crust thickness) is
>> the only way to reheat pizza. This is a proven fact.

> Pffffft

You just had three +1's for skillet method. Well, except dsi1's
suggestion - he doesn't count. But Ed and I are mostly reliable
sources - there's a reason we suggested it.

The steam from the water changes the molecular structure of the
starch in the crust back to "normal" (the reason day-olsd rice
doesn't reheat well in teh microwave without additional water), and
also helps the pizza reheat evenly. Without drying it out in the
oven. Once the water evaporates, the crust begins to crisp on the
bottom. And the pizza is like new.

I did it your way for 35 years. And think of the brownie points you
can score with your wife by discovering this new, superior way after
all these years. She might even join us here in RFC after this!
(yeah, then worlds will collide, eh?)

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 May 2019 21:22:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 5/23/2019 7:50 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>>> Pizzas reheat real well in a 400F oven in about eight minutes. But you
>>> knew that.
>>>
>>> leo

>> I've done that. It's even faster when you heat pizza in a frying pan. I like to flip the pizza over and brown the top to. You have to use a non-stick pan though.
>>

> I reheat slices in a frying pan all the time, never thought of flipping
> it. That is the tip of the week. Next time I'll do it.

Note to Ed and Leo - Don't flip it. Just cover it with a lid.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Sqwertz
> wrote:

> Note to Ed and Leo - Don't flip it. Just cover it with a lid.

I read your method to my wife. She said to give it a shot. I saved your
post. Now I need a bigger non-stick frying pan. I may possibly have one
somewhere around here in the way-back of a cupboard. Tin foil is
easier.
Grumble. I have "fifty" years of doing it my way. Old dog...

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 May 2019 23:12:17 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >, Sqwertz
> wrote:
>
>> Note to Ed and Leo - Don't flip it. Just cover it with a lid.

>I read your method to my wife. She said to give it a shot. I saved your
>post. Now I need a bigger non-stick frying pan. I may possibly have one
>somewhere around here in the way-back of a cupboard. Tin foil is
>easier.
>Grumble. I have "fifty" years of doing it my way. Old dog...
>
>leo

Left over pizza is best eaten for breakfast, cold from the fridge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-24, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> I reheat slices in a frying pan all the time, never thought of flipping
> it. That is the tip of the week. Next time I'll do it.

I wouldn't buy a Di Giorno pizza with yer $$.

Fer about 2 yrs, they were the best, better'n any pizza joint in town
(and we had more than a few). Then they turned to crap and have been
crap ever since!

I changed to Freschetta, but was put off by their crusts, which take
up almost 1/3rd of the pie, when buying a single serving pie.

I later discovered the "Supremes" have more sauce and meat than any of
the other brands. Problem is, try and find a "Supreme".

As for the methods, I'll try any. I usually buy a Freschetta
Pepparoni (full size) and eat the three leftover slices "cold" or
"room temp", next morning. I don't eat the crust, jes the "cheese" or
"meat" topping.

Last week, a "friend", bought me what he considers the best pizza, in town. It
was very good. Way better'n any "sprmkt frozen pizza".

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 16:30:58 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

writes:
>>On Thu, 23 May 2019 23:12:17 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>>>I read your method to my wife. She said to give it a shot. I saved your
>>>post. Now I need a bigger non-stick frying pan. I may possibly have one
>>>somewhere around here in the way-back of a cupboard. Tin foil is
>>>easier.
>>>Grumble. I have "fifty" years of doing it my way. Old dog...
>>>
>>>leo

>>Left over pizza is best eaten for breakfast, cold from the fridge.

>Sheldon reminds me of this guy who once said I'm going to stop calling
>them hangovers and just call them mornings

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2019 1:24 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I've done that. It's even faster when you heat pizza in a frying pan. I like to flip the pizza over and brown the top to. You have to use a non-stick pan though.
>>>

>> I reheat slices in a frying pan all the time, never thought of flipping
>> it. That is the tip of the week. Next time I'll do it.

> Note to Ed and Leo - Don't flip it. Just cover it with a lid.
>
> -sw

I do use a lid but the idea of browning the cheese a bit sounds
appealing. I'll at least try it once.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 7:37:19 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/24/2019 1:24 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

> >> I reheat slices in a frying pan all the time, never thought of flipping
> >> it. That is the tip of the week. Next time I'll do it.

> > Note to Ed and Leo - Don't flip it. Just cover it with a lid.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> I do use a lid but the idea of browning the cheese a bit sounds
> appealing. I'll at least try it once.

You can even lay some cheese down on the frying pan and then lay the pizza topping side down on top of that. Frying the top of the pizza makes it look weird - OTOH, who the heck doesn't like fried cheese?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 00:24:27 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>>> I've done that. It's even faster when you heat pizza in a frying pan. I like to flip the pizza over and brown the top to. You have to use a non-stick pan though.
>>>

>> I reheat slices in a frying pan all the time, never thought of flipping
>> it. That is the tip of the week. Next time I'll do it.

>Note to Ed and Leo - Don't flip it. Just cover it with a lid.
>
>-sw

If you use a non-stick pan and low temp., you can crisp the bottom
crust and get the top ingredients hot. (without flipping or covering)
I found, for me at least, that is the best way to reheat pizza.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 22:22:49 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 00:57 24 May 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 May 2019 16:50:01 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>>I've done that. It's even faster when you heat pizza in a frying pan. I
>>>like to flip the pizza over and brown the top to. You have to use a
>>>non-stick pan though.

>> That's a bizarre idea. A true pizza Hawaii.

>Isn't the Chicago-style pizza cooked in a pan?

Upside down?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 22:25:24 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 19:38 24 May 2019, dsi1 > wrote:

>>> I do use a lid but the idea of browning the cheese a bit sounds
>>> appealing. I'll at least try it once.

>> You can even lay some cheese down on the frying pan and then lay the
>> pizza topping side down on top of that. Frying the top of the pizza
>> makes it look weird - OTOH, who the heck doesn't like fried cheese?

>OMG! Only in America.
>
>How can you still call that a pizza?

They must make really bad pizzas that need all the help they can get:
melted cheese, upside down, ketchup, marshmallows, you name it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 22:34:43 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 22:33 24 May 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 May 2019 22:22:49 +0100, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>>Isn't the Chicago-style pizza cooked in a pan?

>> Upside down?

>Maybe I'm thinking of Australia.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 7:37:32 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> AKA, The Katz Specials. These occupy 1/4th the freezer space in
> Pussy Katz's freezer.
>
> $5/ea, original "rising crust". "Supreme" and "Three mMeat". I
> swapped around some toppings and added shrooms, salami, and pecorino
> romano cheese to different halves or wholes.
>
> They "rise up" too much and turn into big donuts about 1.25" thick
> (even with added ingredients weighing the crust down). Sufficient
> sauce, could use some more cheese than provided. Filling, I though
> I'd be able to eat a whole pizza but had trouble doing 3/4's (hadn't
> eaten for at least 36 hours).
>
> Box says, "We source only the finest ingredients from all over the
> world". But the "sausage" and "beef topping" are mainly textured
> vegetable protein (fake meat). And the pepperoni and sausage are
> also mechanically separated chicken. Legal, FDA-approved pepperoni
> and sausage are made out of pork and beef. And the "beef topping"
> should be mostly beef, not TVP.
>
> I'll try some of the crust styles for $5 or $6 and doctor them up
> with REAL ingredients, but the rising crust was just kinda nyeh, all
> things considered (too much dough, fake ingredients). I would not
> enjoy it as provided for $5 without adding some extra stuff.
>
> The instructions say to remove box, over-wrap, and cardboard tray.
> I guess they downsized the cardboard tray to "non-existent" and
> didn't tell the instruction-writers. I suppose in another couple
> years these will be about as delightful as Hot Pockets as they
> gradually turn them into complete shit.
>
> -sw

Freshetta is better but neither are all that good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 May 2019 23:12:17 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >, Sqwertz
> > wrote:
>
>> Note to Ed and Leo - Don't flip it. Just cover it with a lid.

> I read your method to my wife. She said to give it a shot. I saved your
> post. Now I need a bigger non-stick frying pan. I may possibly have one
> somewhere around here in the way-back of a cupboard. Tin foil is
> easier.
> Grumble. I have "fifty" years of doing it my way. Old dog...

yeah, the amount you can fit into a pan is like 2 slices. But you
can get creative and cut off the corners of crusts to get them to
lay flat and add another piece

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2019 7:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> AKA, The Katz Specials. These occupy 1/4th the freezer space in
> Pussy Katz's freezer.
>
> $5/ea, original "rising crust". "Supreme" and "Three mMeat". I
> swapped around some toppings and added shrooms, salami, and pecorino
> romano cheese to different halves or wholes.

(snippage)

For some reason, the images I've seen of the rising crust in Digiorno's
pizzas ads never appealed to me. I have never liked thick, doughy pizza.

If I wanted to eat mostly bread with pizza toppings I'd buy and doctor
up Stouffer's French Bread pizza. Except I wouldn't. Tried them many
years ago and it's just bread with pizza toppings. Heh.

Even when I made pizza dough from scratch it was not pizza with thick,
heavy dough. There was a bit of rise to it but not like Digiorno ads
I've seen. I can't think how piling on a bunch of meat, vegetables and
cheese would make the thick crust better.

I've never tried this brand of pizza and never will. Thanks for testing
it. LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 10:51:20 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> I've never tried this brand of pizza and never will. Thanks for testing
> it. LOL
>
> Jill

If you ever get a hankering for store bought frozen pizza give Newman's Own a
try. It's thin crust and rather tasty for something out of the freezer;
several varieties to choose from.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 12:10:33 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> On 5/25/2019 12:55 PM, wrote:
> >
> > If you ever get a hankering for store bought frozen pizza give Newman's Own a
> > try. It's thin crust and rather tasty for something out of the freezer;
> > several varieties to choose from.
> >

> That's the brand I posted about earlier this year, Joan. Newman's Own
> White pizza (with spinach). You know how much I love spinach.

I've not seen the spinach variety; I'll have to give that one a try!

> The first time I tried it without any enhancements, it tasted good. But
> hey, IMHO any store bought (even if not frozen) pizza benefits from a
> little extra cheese. I keep a small bag of shredded "Italian" cheese
> blend in the freezer. The cheese on the pizza Newman's Own was already
> frozen so all you have to do is pinch some of the frozen cheese with
> your fingers from the bag and sprinkle it on the pizza. A little
> salt-free Italian herb seasoning blend adds a little something, too.

My favorite 'condiment' on frozen store bought pizza is ground oregano. It
just adds something extra that I really enjoy. If I didn't have plain oregano,
I'd go for the Italian seasoning.

> I love the thin crispy crust.
>
> Jill

Me, too. To me, the crust is there just to hold all those toppings together so
I can shove them in my mouth without stuff falling everywhere.
:-))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:51:14 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/22/2019 7:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> AKA, The Katz Specials. These occupy 1/4th the freezer space in
>> Pussy Katz's freezer.
>>
>> $5/ea, original "rising crust". "Supreme" and "Three mMeat". I
>> swapped around some toppings and added shrooms, salami, and pecorino
>> romano cheese to different halves or wholes.
>>

>(snippage)
>
>For some reason, the images I've seen of the rising crust in Digiorno's
>pizzas ads never appealed to me. I have never liked thick, doughy pizza.
>
>If I wanted to eat mostly bread with pizza toppings I'd buy and doctor
>up Stouffer's French Bread pizza. Except I wouldn't. Tried them many
>years ago and it's just bread with pizza toppings. Heh.
>
>Even when I made pizza dough from scratch it was not pizza with thick,
>heavy dough. There was a bit of rise to it but not like Digiorno ads
>I've seen. I can't think how piling on a bunch of meat, vegetables and
>cheese would make the thick crust better.
>
>I've never tried this brand of pizza and never will. Thanks for testing
>it. LOL
>
>Jill

you don't need to go through all that work. Just buy a loaf of French
bread (the cheap kind) slice it laterally, spread with some seasoned
tomato sauce, sprinkle with desired toppings and put it into the oven
until done to your liking. That's busy day pizza.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> If you ever get a hankering for store bought frozen pizza give Newman's Own a
>>> try. It's thin crust and rather tasty for something out of the freezer;
>>> several varieties to choose from.
>>>

>> That's the brand I posted about earlier this year, Joan. Newman's Own
>> White pizza (with spinach). You know how much I love spinach.
>>

> I've not seen the spinach variety; I'll have to give that one a try!
>>
>> The first time I tried it without any enhancements, it tasted good. But
>> hey, IMHO any store bought (even if not frozen) pizza benefits from a
>> little extra cheese. I keep a small bag of shredded "Italian" cheese
>> blend in the freezer. The cheese on the pizza Newman's Own was already
>> frozen so all you have to do is pinch some of the frozen cheese with
>> your fingers from the bag and sprinkle it on the pizza. A little
>> salt-free Italian herb seasoning blend adds a little something, too.
>>

> My favorite 'condiment' on frozen store bought pizza is ground oregano. It
> just adds something extra that I really enjoy. If I didn't have plain oregano,
> I'd go for the Italian seasoning.
>>
>> I love the thin crispy crust.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Me, too. To me, the crust is there just to hold all those toppings together so
> I can shove them in my mouth without stuff falling everywhere.
> :-))

LOL I don't know about shoving it in my mouth but yes, the crust is a
venue to conveny the toppings. I don't want sloppy or overloaded pizza
on a thick bready crust.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2019 1:36 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:51:14 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/22/2019 7:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> AKA, The Katz Specials. These occupy 1/4th the freezer space in
>>> Pussy Katz's freezer.
>>>
>>> $5/ea, original "rising crust". "Supreme" and "Three mMeat". I
>>> swapped around some toppings and added shrooms, salami, and pecorino
>>> romano cheese to different halves or wholes.
>>>

>> (snippage)
>>
>> For some reason, the images I've seen of the rising crust in Digiorno's
>> pizzas ads never appealed to me. I have never liked thick, doughy pizza.
>>
>> If I wanted to eat mostly bread with pizza toppings I'd buy and doctor
>> up Stouffer's French Bread pizza. Except I wouldn't. Tried them many
>> years ago and it's just bread with pizza toppings. Heh.
>>
>> Even when I made pizza dough from scratch it was not pizza with thick,
>> heavy dough. There was a bit of rise to it but not like Digiorno ads
>> I've seen. I can't think how piling on a bunch of meat, vegetables and
>> cheese would make the thick crust better.
>>
>> I've never tried this brand of pizza and never will. Thanks for testing
>> it. LOL
>>
>> Jill

> you don't need to go through all that work. Just buy a loaf of French
> bread (the cheap kind) slice it laterally, spread with some seasoned
> tomato sauce, sprinkle with desired toppings and put it into the oven
> until done to your liking. That's busy day pizza.
> Janet US

Except I wouldn't do that. I tried the Stouffer's French Bread pizza
decades ago. Too much bread. Not somethng I'd try to replicate at home.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 1:24:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> Me, too. To me, the crust is there just to hold all those toppings together so
> I can shove them in my mouth without stuff falling everywhere.

For me, a good crust is vital. Not too thin; not too thick. The toppings
and the crust must be in balance.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 2:15:10 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 1:24:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>
> > Me, too. To me, the crust is there just to hold all those toppings together so
> > I can shove them in my mouth without stuff falling everywhere.

> For me, a good crust is vital. Not too thin; not too thick. The toppings
> and the crust must be in balance.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Oh yeah, I want it to be tasty and not shatter like a cracker when bit into.
And can't stand a thick crust and certainly not one that's rubbery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 5/22/2019 7:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> AKA, The Katz Specials. These occupy 1/4th the freezer space in
>> Pussy Katz's freezer.
>>
>> $5/ea, original "rising crust". "Supreme" and "Three mMeat". I
>> swapped around some toppings and added shrooms, salami, and pecorino
>> romano cheese to different halves or wholes.
>>

>(snippage)
>
>For some reason, the images I've seen of the rising crust in Digiorno's
>pizzas ads never appealed to me. I have never liked thick, doughy pizza.
>
>If I wanted to eat mostly bread with pizza toppings I'd buy and doctor
>up Stouffer's French Bread pizza. Except I wouldn't. Tried them many
>years ago and it's just bread with pizza toppings. Heh.
>
>Even when I made pizza dough from scratch it was not pizza with thick,
>heavy dough. There was a bit of rise to it but not like Digiorno ads
>I've seen. I can't think how piling on a bunch of meat, vegetables and
>cheese would make the thick crust better.
>
>I've never tried this brand of pizza and never will. Thanks for testing
>it. LOL
>
>Jill

you don't need to go through all that work. Just buy a loaf of French
bread (the cheap kind) slice it laterally, spread with some seasoned
tomato sauce, sprinkle with desired toppings and put it into the oven
until done to your liking. That's busy day pizza.
Janet US

===

Not something I have ever done but I am betting D. would like it

Thanks, I will have to give it a try when I can

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 5/25/2019 1:36 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:51:14 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/22/2019 7:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> AKA, The Katz Specials. These occupy 1/4th the freezer space in
>>> Pussy Katz's freezer.
>>>
>>> $5/ea, original "rising crust". "Supreme" and "Three mMeat". I
>>> swapped around some toppings and added shrooms, salami, and pecorino
>>> romano cheese to different halves or wholes.
>>>

>> (snippage)
>>
>> For some reason, the images I've seen of the rising crust in Digiorno's
>> pizzas ads never appealed to me. I have never liked thick, doughy pizza.
>>
>> If I wanted to eat mostly bread with pizza toppings I'd buy and doctor
>> up Stouffer's French Bread pizza. Except I wouldn't. Tried them many
>> years ago and it's just bread with pizza toppings. Heh.
>>
>> Even when I made pizza dough from scratch it was not pizza with thick,
>> heavy dough. There was a bit of rise to it but not like Digiorno ads
>> I've seen. I can't think how piling on a bunch of meat, vegetables and
>> cheese would make the thick crust better.
>>
>> I've never tried this brand of pizza and never will. Thanks for testing
>> it. LOL
>>
>> Jill

> you don't need to go through all that work. Just buy a loaf of French
> bread (the cheap kind) slice it laterally, spread with some seasoned
> tomato sauce, sprinkle with desired toppings and put it into the oven
> until done to your liking. That's busy day pizza.
> Janet US

Except I wouldn't do that. I tried the Stouffer's French Bread pizza
decades ago. Too much bread. Not somethng I'd try to replicate at home.

Jill

===

I have always made my own pizzas to D. liking. He much prefers thick
crust so I guess it is all down to preference!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 6:22:45 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2019 15:15:38 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> They make great calzones too so sometimes
> >> we'll bring one home for the next day, calzone reheats well in the
> >> nuker, but not pizza.

> > Pizzas reheat real well in a 400F oven in about eight minutes. But you
> > knew that.

> Leftover pizza in a skillet with a little bit of water underneath
> and a lid over medium-high heat (depending on crust thickness) is
> the only way to reheat pizza. This is a proven fact.
>
> -sw

yup. Here's an illustrated version for you.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/red...CsjbhHc0K6hs2s

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 7:37:32 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> AKA, The Katz Specials. These occupy 1/4th the freezer space in
> Pussy Katz's freezer.
>
> $5/ea, original "rising crust". "Supreme" and "Three mMeat". I
> swapped around some toppings and added shrooms, salami, and pecorino
> romano cheese to different halves or wholes.
>
> They "rise up" too much and turn into big donuts about 1.25" thick
> (even with added ingredients weighing the crust down). Sufficient
> sauce, could use some more cheese than provided. Filling, I though
> I'd be able to eat a whole pizza but had trouble doing 3/4's (hadn't
> eaten for at least 36 hours).
>
> Box says, "We source only the finest ingredients from all over the
> world". But the "sausage" and "beef topping" are mainly textured
> vegetable protein (fake meat). And the pepperoni and sausage are
> also mechanically separated chicken. Legal, FDA-approved pepperoni
> and sausage are made out of pork and beef. And the "beef topping"
> should be mostly beef, not TVP.
>
> I'll try some of the crust styles for $5 or $6 and doctor them up
> with REAL ingredients, but the rising crust was just kinda nyeh, all
> things considered (too much dough, fake ingredients). I would not
> enjoy it as provided for $5 without adding some extra stuff.
>
> The instructions say to remove box, over-wrap, and cardboard tray.
> I guess they downsized the cardboard tray to "non-existent" and
> didn't tell the instruction-writers. I suppose in another couple
> years these will be about as delightful as Hot Pockets as they
> gradually turn them into complete shit.
>
> -sw

When I make pizza I use 2 pieces of 100% whole wheat bread toasted for the crust.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2019 14:46:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 7:37:32 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>> AKA, The Katz Specials. These occupy 1/4th the freezer space in
>> Pussy Katz's freezer.
>>
>> $5/ea, original "rising crust". "Supreme" and "Three mMeat". I
>> swapped around some toppings and added shrooms, salami, and pecorino
>> romano cheese to different halves or wholes.
>>
>> They "rise up" too much and turn into big donuts about 1.25" thick
>> (even with added ingredients weighing the crust down). Sufficient
>> sauce, could use some more cheese than provided. Filling, I though
>> I'd be able to eat a whole pizza but had trouble doing 3/4's (hadn't
>> eaten for at least 36 hours).
>>
>> Box says, "We source only the finest ingredients from all over the
>> world". But the "sausage" and "beef topping" are mainly textured
>> vegetable protein (fake meat). And the pepperoni and sausage are
>> also mechanically separated chicken. Legal, FDA-approved pepperoni
>> and sausage are made out of pork and beef. And the "beef topping"
>> should be mostly beef, not TVP.
>>
>> I'll try some of the crust styles for $5 or $6 and doctor them up
>> with REAL ingredients, but the rising crust was just kinda nyeh, all
>> things considered (too much dough, fake ingredients). I would not
>> enjoy it as provided for $5 without adding some extra stuff.
>>
>> The instructions say to remove box, over-wrap, and cardboard tray.
>> I guess they downsized the cardboard tray to "non-existent" and
>> didn't tell the instruction-writers. I suppose in another couple
>> years these will be about as delightful as Hot Pockets as they
>> gradually turn them into complete shit.
>>
>> -sw

>When I make pizza I use 2 pieces of 100% whole wheat bread toasted for the crust.

When I make pizza, I stir-fry tempeh, chili peppers and mushrooms and
have that over rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2019 13:38:33 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/25/2019 1:36 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> you don't need to go through all that work. Just buy a loaf of French
>> bread (the cheap kind) slice it laterally, spread with some seasoned
>> tomato sauce, sprinkle with desired toppings and put it into the oven
>> until done to your liking. That's busy day pizza.
>> Janet US
>>

>Except I wouldn't do that. I tried the Stouffer's French Bread pizza
>decades ago. Too much bread. Not somethng I'd try to replicate at home.

You can slice the bread open and sit on it for a while. That way you
get a thinner, more spread out crust.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 5/25/2019 1:36 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:51:14 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> (snippage)
>>>
>>> For some reason, the images I've seen of the rising crust in Digiorno's
>>> pizzas ads never appealed to me. I have never liked thick, doughy pizza.
>>>
>>> If I wanted to eat mostly bread with pizza toppings I'd buy and doctor
>>> up Stouffer's French Bread pizza. Except I wouldn't. Tried them many
>>> years ago and it's just bread with pizza toppings. Heh.
>>>
>>> Even when I made pizza dough from scratch it was not pizza with thick,
>>> heavy dough. There was a bit of rise to it but not like Digiorno ads
>>> I've seen. I can't think how piling on a bunch of meat, vegetables and
>>> cheese would make the thick crust better.
>>>
>>> I've never tried this brand of pizza and never will. Thanks for testing
>>> it. LOL
>>>
>>> Jill

>> you don't need to go through all that work. Just buy a loaf of French
>> bread (the cheap kind) slice it laterally, spread with some seasoned
>> tomato sauce, sprinkle with desired toppings and put it into the oven
>> until done to your liking. That's busy day pizza.
>> Janet US
>>

>Except I wouldn't do that. I tried the Stouffer's French Bread pizza
>decades ago. Too much bread. Not somethng I'd try to replicate at home.
>
>Jill

If all I can get is the really thick cheap store French bread I make a
couple of lateral cuts and make bread crumbs or throw away the middle
piece..jj It's just a way to get something on the table when you are
pooped and there needs to be food soon. Not gourmet or top of the
line, just food in a hurry. I haven't done this in years because
there was no need.
Janet US

DiGiorno pizza really vile JRStern General Cooking 13 18-05-2015 11:55 AM
Nestle messes with DiGiorno/Tombstone JRStern General Cooking 34 22-04-2015 05:53 AM
DiGiorno gregz General Cooking 0 16-11-2012 02:26 AM
DiGiorno gregz General Cooking 28 13-11-2012 07:39 PM
Digiorno Frozen Pizza Terry General Cooking 12 05-02-2007 11:34 PM