Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cauliflower Gratin

Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin

<gasp> He uses a steamer basket to steam the cauliflower florets.

This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
mornay sauce. You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
cauliflower stems.

I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday. I'm thinking I'll try this
rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin

<gasp> He uses a steamer basket to steam the cauliflower florets.

This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
mornay sauce. You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
cauliflower stems.

I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday. I'm thinking I'll try this
rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.

Jill

==

Jill, what was so odd that you needed to gasp because he steamed his
florets in a basket? Oh and the sauce? I don't understand that at all. It
is a very odd thing to do in US??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2019 12:23 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:
>
> https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin
>
> <gasp> He uses a steamer basket to steam the cauliflower florets.
>
> This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
> mornay sauce.Â* You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
> cauliflower stems.
>
> I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday.Â* I'm thinking I'll try this
> rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Â* Jill, what was so odd that you needed to gasp because he steamed his
> florets in a basket?Â* Oh and the sauce?Â* I don't understand that at
> all.Â* It is a very odd thing to do in US??

I'm <gasping> because Julie and her pal Bruce constantly snark at me for
*steaming* vegetables. As if that's a strange thing to do. No, it's
not uncommon. I use my steamer basket frequently. They act like it's
the only way I ever cook vegetables.

The second gasp was in fun because Gary recently railed against pureed
soups. The pureed sauce for this gratin almost looks like cauliflower
soup.

Sounds like a delicious recipe to me. I have all the ingredients,
including a wedge of Parmesan for grating and the Panko breadcrumbs for
the crispy topping. Butter, of course! It sounded and looks like a
very tasty recipe so I'll be giving it a try.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 5/19/2019 12:23 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:
>
> https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin
>
> <gasp> He uses a steamer basket to steam the cauliflower florets.
>
> This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
> mornay sauce. You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
> cauliflower stems.
>
> I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday. I'm thinking I'll try this
> rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Jill, what was so odd that you needed to gasp because he steamed his
> florets in a basket? Oh and the sauce? I don't understand that at all.
> It is a very odd thing to do in US??

I'm <gasping> because Julie and her pal Bruce constantly snark at me for
*steaming* vegetables. As if that's a strange thing to do. No, it's
not uncommon. I use my steamer basket frequently. They act like it's
the only way I ever cook vegetables.

LOL OK)'

The second gasp was in fun because Gary recently railed against pureed
soups. The pureed sauce for this gratin almost looks like cauliflower
soup.

Oh heck, I missed that!!

Sounds like a delicious recipe to me. I have all the ingredients,
including a wedge of Parmesan for grating and the Panko breadcrumbs for
the crispy topping. Butter, of course! It sounded and looks like a
very tasty recipe so I'll be giving it a try.

Jill

Yes, I am thinking of making it too I hoped that when they
referred to 'parm' they meant 'parmesan'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2019 2:17 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 5/19/2019 12:23 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
>>
>> Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:
>>
>> https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin
>>
>> <gasp> He uses a steamer basket to steam the cauliflower florets.
>>
>> This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
>> mornay sauce.Â* You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
>> cauliflower stems.
>>
>> I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday.Â* I'm thinking I'll try this
>> rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Â*Â* Jill, what was so odd that you needed to gasp because he steamed
>> his florets in a basket?Â* Oh and the sauce?Â* I don't understand that
>> at all. It is a very odd thing to do in US??
>>

> I'm <gasping> because Julie and her pal Bruce constantly snark at me for
> *steaming* vegetables.Â* As if that's a strange thing to do.Â* No, it's
> not uncommon.Â* I use my steamer basket frequently.Â* They act like it's
> the only way I ever cook vegetables.
>
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* LOL OK)'
>
> The second gasp was in fun because Gary recently railed against pureed
> soups.Â* The pureed sauce for this gratin almost looks like cauliflower
> soup.
>
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Oh heck, I missed that!!
>
> Sounds like a delicious recipe to me.Â* I have all the ingredients,
> including a wedge of Parmesan for grating and the Panko breadcrumbs for
> the crispy topping.Â* Butter, of course!Â* It sounded and looks like a
> very tasty recipe so I'll be giving it a try.
>
> Jill
>
> Â*Â*Â* Yes, I am thinking of making it tooÂ*Â*Â* I hoped that when they
> referred to 'parm' they meant 'parmesan'.

Yes, it means grated parmesan cheese. It sounds like a very nice
cauliflower gratin recipe. Something new to try! I'm not using 4
pounds of cauliflower, though. Mine is small so I'll use a smaller
baking dish.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 May 2019 11:39:25 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:
>
>https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin
>
><gasp> He uses a steamer basket to steam the cauliflower florets.
>
>This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
>mornay sauce. You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
>cauliflower stems.
>
>I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday. I'm thinking I'll try this
>rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.

One wouldn't think you needed encouragement to steam your vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:
>
> https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin
>
> <gasp> He uses a steamer basket to steam the cauliflower florets.
>
> This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
> mornay sauce. You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
> cauliflower stems.
>
> I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday. I'm thinking I'll try this
> rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.
>
> Jill

I know how much you like your steamed foods. I can picture you getting
excited about this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 5/19/2019 2:17 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> On 5/19/2019 12:23 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>>
>> Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:
>>
>> https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin
>>
>> <gasp> He uses a steamer basket to steam the cauliflower florets.
>>
>> This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
>> mornay sauce. You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
>> cauliflower stems.
>>
>> I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday. I'm thinking I'll try this
>> rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Jill, what was so odd that you needed to gasp because he steamed his
>> florets in a basket? Oh and the sauce? I don't understand that at all.
>> It is a very odd thing to do in US??
>>

> I'm <gasping> because Julie and her pal Bruce constantly snark at me for
> *steaming* vegetables. As if that's a strange thing to do. No, it's
> not uncommon. I use my steamer basket frequently. They act like it's
> the only way I ever cook vegetables.
>
> LOL OK)'
>
> The second gasp was in fun because Gary recently railed against pureed
> soups. The pureed sauce for this gratin almost looks like cauliflower
> soup.
>
> Oh heck, I missed that!!
>
> Sounds like a delicious recipe to me. I have all the ingredients,
> including a wedge of Parmesan for grating and the Panko breadcrumbs for
> the crispy topping. Butter, of course! It sounded and looks like a
> very tasty recipe so I'll be giving it a try.
>
> Jill
>
> Yes, I am thinking of making it too I hoped that when they
> referred to 'parm' they meant 'parmesan'.

Yes, it means grated parmesan cheese. It sounds like a very nice
cauliflower gratin recipe. Something new to try! I'm not using 4
pounds of cauliflower, though. Mine is small so I'll use a smaller
baking dish.

Jill

==

Oh yes. me too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 10:39:32 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:
>
> https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin
>
> This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
> mornay sauce. You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
> cauliflower stems.
>
> I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday. I'm thinking I'll try this
> rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.
>
> Jill

I saw this episode several weeks ago but it really did not impress me enough
to go through all the different steps just for a cauliflower casserole.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2019 4:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:
>>
>> https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin
>>
>> <gasp> He uses a steamer basket to steam the cauliflower florets.
>>
>> This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or
>> a mornay sauce.Â* You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
>> cauliflower stems.
>>
>> I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday.Â* I'm thinking I'll try this
>> rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.
>>
>> Jill

> I know how much you like your steamed foods. I can picture you getting
> excited about this.

You know you're an idiot, right?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2019 6:07 PM, wrote:
> On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 10:39:32 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin

>> This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
>> mornay sauce. You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
>> cauliflower stems.
>>
>> I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday. I'm thinking I'll try this
>> rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I saw this episode several weeks ago but it really did not impress me enough
> to go through all the different steps just for a cauliflower casserole.

I doubt I'll bother cutting the cauliflower florets the way he did (into
"steaks" and then trim them). I don't actually care if the florets are
totally uniform. Other than that, it doesn't seem like much extra work.
I like the fact that it doesn't contain cream and you don't have to
make a cheese sauce. Not that I'm looking for a lower fat version, mind
you.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2019 4:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:
>>>
>>> https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin
>>>
>>> <gasp> He uses a steamer basket to steam the cauliflower florets.
>>>
>>> This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
>>> mornay sauce. You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
>>> cauliflower stems.
>>>
>>> I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday. I'm thinking I'll try this
>>> rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I know how much you like your steamed foods. I can picture you getting
>> excited about this.

> You know you're an idiot, right?

My IQ is 136. That's not an idiot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 8:43:26 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> >> I know how much you like your steamed foods. I can picture you getting
> >> excited about this.

> > You know you're an idiot, right?

> My IQ is 136. That's not an idiot.

Idiot savant.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2019 9:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 8:43:26 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You know you're an idiot, right?

>> My IQ is 136. That's not an idiot.

> Idiot savant.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL! She seems to think steaming is the only way I ever cook anything.
She couldn't be more wrong.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 7:43:26 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >
> > You know you're an idiot, right?

> My IQ is 136. That's not an idiot.

Somebody just added 100 points to their IQ.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-20 8:43 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I know how much you like your steamed foods. I can picture you
>>> getting excited about this.

>> You know you're an idiot, right?

> My IQ is 136. That's not an idiot.

That's not an idiot. That is a damned lie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 9:44:43 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> You know you're an idiot, right?

> > My IQ is 136. That's not an idiot.

> That's not an idiot. That is a damned lie.

*SNORT*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 May 2019 "itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>On May 20, 2019 Julie Bove wrote:
>> "jmcquown" wrote:
>> >
>> > You know you're an idiot, right?

>> My IQ is 136. That's not an idiot.
>>

>Somebody just added 100 points to their IQ.

I'm more generous, I was going to say someone doubled their IQ. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 8:39:32 AM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
> Saw this rerun on America's Test Kitchen last night:
>
> https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...iflower-gratin
>
> <gasp> He uses a steamer basket to steam the cauliflower florets.
>
> This looks really tasty and doesn't require any sort of heavy cream or a
> mornay sauce. You make the sauce from the pureed <another gasp>
> cauliflower stems.
>
> I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday. I'm thinking I'll try this
> rather than roasting the head of cauliflower.
>
> Jill

Ooh. this looks good! Thanks, saved. !!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 10:44:43 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> You know you're an idiot, right?

> > My IQ is 136. That's not an idiot.

> That's not an idiot. That is a damned lie.

If she didn't have me killfiled, I'd ask her who
performed the IQ test and how long it has been.

I tested extremely high when I was very young, but
now I'm probably no more than "really smart".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 10:12:41 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On 20 May 2019 "itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> >> My IQ is 136. That's not an idiot.
> >>

> >Somebody just added 100 points to their IQ.

> I'm more generous, I was going to say someone doubled their IQ. LOL

I'm surprised she didn't get mixed up where to place that 1 and stick it on
the backside of 36.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-20 12:30 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 10:44:43 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> My IQ is 136. That's not an idiot.

>> That's not an idiot. That is a damned lie.

> If she didn't have me killfiled, I'd ask her who
> performed the IQ test and how long it has been.

She took the canine version, so every point counts as 7. This is the
woman who claimed to be a writer but did not no the meaning of the word
"ignorant" and didn't think that a writer should have to know that. She
later tried to hide that under the carpet by denying that she was a
writer or that she had ever said that she was a writer.

> I tested extremely high when I was very young, but
> now I'm probably no more than "really smart".

;-) I am in the same boat. I was a poor performer in school. I probably
would have been diagnosed as attention deficit if I had gone to school a
couple decades later. They also thought I had a hearing deficit because
I was not listening in class. I was a late bloomer. I barely made it
into university, but then I blossomed and did very well there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 May 2019 10:47:13 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> You know you're an idiot, right?

>> My IQ is 136. That's not an idiot.

>That's not an idiot. That is a damned lie.

Look how shocked all the dumb people are
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 10:03:51 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Let's be stupid and talk about Eleanor Roosevelt.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

As you wish. Does anybody know what her bra size was? I'll bet it was a fairly decent size. She had Rachel Ray beaver teeth - ugh! At least RR is perky. I'll have to give you that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 2:30:09 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I am not discounting the possibility that her claim is based on one of
> those click bait FaceBook IQ tests where they suck you in to try a test
> claiming that 90% of people cannot answer more than 4 of the questions.

You've seen those, too?? I've not seen them on FB but have seen them on the
internet; "clickbait."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 3:29:20 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 10:03:51 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

> > Let's be stupid and talk about Eleanor Roosevelt.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> As you wish. Does anybody know what her bra size was? I'll bet it was a fairly decent size.

Doubtful. It never looked like much in those dresses of the 20's, 30's and
40's.

>She had Rachel Ray beaver teeth - ugh!

No, Eleanor did not have pretty choppers but her false teeth looked better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 11:19:36 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 3:29:20 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 10:03:51 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >

> > > Let's be stupid and talk about Eleanor Roosevelt.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > As you wish. Does anybody know what her bra size was? I'll bet it was a fairly decent size.
> >

> Doubtful. It never looked like much in those dresses of the 20's, 30's and
> 40's.
> >
> >She had Rachel Ray beaver teeth - ugh!
> >

> No, Eleanor did not have pretty choppers but her false teeth looked better.

You're absolutely right about her rack. I guess it's because she reminds me of my granny. Funny how the mind plays tricks like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> > I like to use my own system of intelligence: Smart people talk about ideas
> > and concepts, average people talk about "things", stupid people talk about
> > other people.

> Let's be stupid and talk about Eleanor Roosevelt.

Not verified by my quick google search. I first heard the expression in
the sixties, so it was before that. I'd love to actually know who said
it first. Talking any one of the three all day would be boring to me.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 7:40:25 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> > > I like to use my own system of intelligence: Smart people talk about ideas
> > > and concepts, average people talk about "things", stupid people talk about
> > > other people.

> > Let's be stupid and talk about Eleanor Roosevelt.

> Not verified by my quick google search. I first heard the expression in
> the sixties, so it was before that. I'd love to actually know who said
> it first. Talking any one of the three all day would be boring to me.
>
> leo

Nobody seems to know who said it first. Still, dsi1 presents it as his
own, which it certainly is not.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 11:54:30 PM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 7:40:25 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> > > Let's be stupid and talk about Eleanor Roosevelt.

> > Not verified by my quick google search. I first heard the expression in
> > the sixties, so it was before that. I'd love to actually know who said
> > it first. Talking any one of the three all day would be boring to me.
> >
> > leo

> Nobody seems to know who said it first. Still, dsi1 presents it as his
> own, which it certainly is not.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I did not come up with this nor would I claim to have originated it. That would be untruthful. As we all know, I only tell the truth. The way I figured it, all ya'alls would be familiar with this little truth. My guess is that you all might have heard it before, you just don't understand/believe it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 6:15:36 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 11:54:30 PM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 7:40:25 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> > > Not verified by my quick google search. I first heard the expression in
> > > the sixties, so it was before that. I'd love to actually know who said
> > > it first. Talking any one of the three all day would be boring to me.
> > >
> > > leo

> > Nobody seems to know who said it first. Still, dsi1 presents it as his
> > own, which it certainly is not.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I did not come up with this nor would I claim to have originated it. That would be untruthful. As we all know, I only tell the truth. The way I figured it, all ya'alls would be familiar with this little truth. My guess is that you all might have heard it before, you just don't understand/believe it.

Cauliflower gratin America's Test Kitchen Nancy Young[_8_] General Cooking 3 13-04-2017 07:13 PM
Spiralized broccoli and cauliflower and a gratin. ImStillMags General Cooking 14 20-07-2014 07:39 PM
Cauliflower Gratin Janet Diabetic 1 05-09-2010 08:24 PM
REC: Cauliflower au Gratin jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 8 24-11-2009 12:04 PM
Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-01-2006 03:19 PM