Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stew without potatoes?

I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't use a
recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always used
potatoes.

I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
them two days in a row.I am also going to be using up some canned goods. I
have a can of corn, green beans, peas and kidney beans.

I used to use a lot of canned vegetables but these days we all seem to
prefer fresh ones. We're okay with the beans and corn but even with beans, I
tend to cook a batch of dried at least once a week. I will keep a few cans
of the other stuff but I'd like to use some up. I will also add carrots,
celery, onions and perhaps some form of tomato. I don't always put tomato in
my stew. Seasonings will be salt, pepper, a bay leaf and parsley.

I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and don't want
a lot of leftover stew.

So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I could
always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a few
Russets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 12:33:44 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't use a
> recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always used
> potatoes.
>
> I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
> them two days in a row.I am also going to be using up some canned goods. I
> have a can of corn, green beans, peas and kidney beans.
>
> I used to use a lot of canned vegetables but these days we all seem to
> prefer fresh ones. We're okay with the beans and corn but even with beans, I
> tend to cook a batch of dried at least once a week. I will keep a few cans
> of the other stuff but I'd like to use some up. I will also add carrots,
> celery, onions and perhaps some form of tomato. I don't always put tomato in
> my stew. Seasonings will be salt, pepper, a bay leaf and parsley.
>
> I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and don't want
> a lot of leftover stew.
>
> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I could
> always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a few
> Russets.

I never put potatoes in stew. My husband likes stew over noodles and
I'm fine sopping up the gravy with bread. Potatoes would just be
carbohydrate overkill.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I never put potatoes in stew.

I always put some in a beef stew.
Main thing to me is to sear the meat before going into
the crockpot (which I use)

> My husband likes stew over noodles

I've never done that but sounds good.
Even just add them right to the stew
near the end of cooking.

> I'm fine sopping up the gravy with bread.

I always have a slice of buttered bread (or roll)
with stew.

> Potatoes would just be carbohydrate overkill.

LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't use a
> recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always used
> potatoes.
>
> I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
> them two days in a row.

> I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and don't want
> a lot of leftover stew.
>
> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I could
> always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a few
> Russets.

Good grief, Julie. Make it as you like it. Use all the potatoes
that you normally do. What you don't eat can be saved in pint
containers in your FREEZER. Lasts for at least 6 months. That's
what freezers are for. Just quit loading up your freezer with ice
cream and popsicles, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2019 8:42 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't use a
>> recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always used
>> potatoes.
>>
>> I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
>> them two days in a row.

>> I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and don't want
>> a lot of leftover stew.
>>
>> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I could
>> always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a few
>> Russets.

> Good grief, Julie. Make it as you like it. Use all the potatoes
> that you normally do.

Or just leave 'em out. There's no law that says stew must contain potatoes.

> What you don't eat can be saved in pint
> containers in your FREEZER. Lasts for at least 6 months. That's
> what freezers are for. Just quit loading up your freezer with ice
> cream and popsicles, etc.

I don't know what she's got in her freezer but she'll likely say there
isn't any room or she doesn't have [zero in on *pint*] containers or
some such thing.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2019 12:33 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
> could always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a
> few Russets.

Sure, potatoes are more of a tradition that requirement. Keep in mind
though, they do help a bit with thickening, but dredge the meat in flour
and get the same effect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2019 9:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/20/2019 12:33 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
>> could always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have
>> a few Russets.

> Sure, potatoes are more of a tradition that requirement.* Keep in mind
> though, they do help a bit with thickening, but dredge the meat in flour
> and get the same effect.

As to the thickening, I'm reminded of the two very differet types of
beef stew my grandmothers made. My maternal grandmother's beef stew was
fairly thick and she topped it with drop dumplings, which further
thickened the stew. My paternal grandmother's beef stew was more like a
vegetable beef soup with the beef and vegetables cut into fairly large
pieces. There's no wrong way to prepare beef stew.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-20 8:59 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/20/2019 8:42 AM, Gary wrote:

>> What you don't eat can be saved in pint
>> containers in your FREEZER. Lasts for at least 6 months. That's
>> what freezers are for. Just quit loading up your freezer with ice
>> cream and popsicles, etc.
>>

> I don't know what she's got in her freezer but she'll likely say there
> isn't any room or she doesn't have [zero in on *pint*] containers or
> some such thing.

Goodness only knows why anyone would bother to consider replying to her
questions. You would think that they would have all learned by now that
no matter what you suggest, she will have a problem with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 8:42:30 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I never put potatoes in stew.

> I always put some in a beef stew.
> Main thing to me is to sear the meat before going into
> the crockpot (which I use)

That's also vital for pot roast.

I cook both stew and pot roast in the oven.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 10:05:57 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-04-20 8:59 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> > On 4/20/2019 8:42 AM, Gary wrote:

> >> What you don't eat can be saved in pint
> >> containers in your FREEZER. Lasts for at least 6 months. That's
> >> what freezers are for. Just quit loading up your freezer with ice
> >> cream and popsicles, etc.
> >>

> > I don't know what she's got in her freezer but she'll likely say there
> > isn't any room or she doesn't have [zero in on *pint*] containers or
> > some such thing.
> >

> Goodness only knows why anyone would bother to consider replying to her
> questions. You would think that they would have all learned by now that
> no matter what you suggest, she will have a problem with it.

Evidence suggests I'm still in her killfile. I sometimes reply to her
posts for my own amusement, and to interact with other posters in the
thread.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2019 10:20 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 10:05:57 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I don't know what she's got in her freezer but she'll likely say there
>>> isn't any room or she doesn't have [zero in on *pint*] containers or
>>> some such thing.
>>>

>> Goodness only knows why anyone would bother to consider replying to her
>> questions. You would think that they would have all learned by now that
>> no matter what you suggest, she will have a problem with it.

> Evidence suggests I'm still in her killfile. I sometimes reply to her
> posts for my own amusement, and to interact with other posters in the
> thread.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The question of stew without potatoes is a valid one. I vote for make
beef stew without potatoes if you damn well feel like it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't
> use a recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've
> always used potatoes.
>
> I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to
> eat them two days in a row.I am also going to be using up some canned
> goods. I have a can of corn, green beans, peas and kidney beans.
>
> I used to use a lot of canned vegetables but these days we all seem to
> prefer fresh ones. We're okay with the beans and corn but even with
> beans, I tend to cook a batch of dried at least once a week. I will
> keep a few cans of the other stuff but I'd like to use some up. I will
> also add carrots, celery, onions and perhaps some form of tomato. I
> don't always put tomato in my stew. Seasonings will be salt, pepper, a
> bay leaf and parsley.
>
> I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and
> don't want a lot of leftover stew.
>
> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
> could always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have
> a few Russets.

Maybe some pasta? Shells or elbow mac?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 Julie Bove wrote:

>I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't use a
>recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always used
>potatoes.
>
>I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
>them two days in a row.

Huh? You're cooking potatoeless stew for tomorrow... tomorrow is
Easter... yet you'll be making potatoes tomorrow?!?!?!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-20 10:19 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> I always put some in a beef stew.
>> Main thing to me is to sear the meat before going into
>> the crockpot (which I use)

> That's also vital for pot roast.
>
> I cook both stew and pot roast in the oven.

We have stew a lot more often that pot roasts, but both are done in the
oven at 300. There is too much risk of boiling the stew on a burner,
and that ruins them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-20 10:20 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 10:05:57 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I don't know what she's got in her freezer but she'll likely say there
>>> isn't any room or she doesn't have [zero in on *pint*] containers or
>>> some such thing.
>>>

>> Goodness only knows why anyone would bother to consider replying to her
>> questions. You would think that they would have all learned by now that
>> no matter what you suggest, she will have a problem with it.

> Evidence suggests I'm still in her killfile. I sometimes reply to her
> posts for my own amusement, and to interact with other posters in the
> thread.

I doubt it. She thrives on the attention. She would rather be insulted
than ignored.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 1:40:26 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't use a
> >recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always used
> >potatoes.
> >
> >I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
> >them two days in a row.

> Huh? You're cooking potatoeless stew for tomorrow... tomorrow is
> Easter... yet you'll be making potatoes tomorrow?!?!?!

She posted on Friday.

Stew tomorrow (Saturday)

Potatoes on Easter (Sunday)

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 07:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 10:05:57 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>> > I don't know what she's got in her freezer but she'll likely say there
>> > isn't any room or she doesn't have [zero in on *pint*] containers or
>> > some such thing.
>> >

>> Goodness only knows why anyone would bother to consider replying to her
>> questions. You would think that they would have all learned by now that
>> no matter what you suggest, she will have a problem with it.

>Evidence suggests I'm still in her killfile. I sometimes reply to her
>posts for my own amusement, and to interact with other posters in the
>thread.

Since she still talks to Dave, her most frequent heckler, I doubt she
has you killfiled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 Gary wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> I never put potatoes in stew.

>I always put some in a beef stew.
>Main thing to me is to sear the meat before going into
>the crockpot (which I use)
>
>> My husband likes stew over noodles

>I've never done that but sounds good.
>Even just add them right to the stew
>near the end of cooking.

Not a good idea to add uncooked nooddles/rice to a stew/soup, they'd
suck up too much liquid. you'd end up with glop/paste. Best to cook
the noodles/rice first, then add how much one wants to the stew/soup.
My mom would cook the noodles and add some to each bowl and then add
the stew/soup on top. She'd cook up enough noodles/rice for a large
pot of stew/soup... and then over several days we'd eat the left overs
by reheating the stew/soup, putting some cooked noodles/rice in the
bowl and pouring the heated stew/soup on top. Adding some cooking oil
to the cooked noodles/rice kept it from sticking together in the
fridge. Also makes a nicer presentation with stew placed atop the
noodles without coating them all so it looks like left over scrapings
salvaged from someone's dish. When I order pasta at an Italian
restorant and all the pasta is coated with sauce I'll send it back and
leave, I'll tell them not to dare serve me leftover plate scrapings.
At best when all the pasta is coated with sauce it may as well be Chef
Boyardee from a can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 07:19:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 8:42:30 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > I never put potatoes in stew.

>> I always put some in a beef stew.
>> Main thing to me is to sear the meat before going into
>> the crockpot (which I use)

>That's also vital for pot roast.
>
>I cook both stew and pot roast in the oven.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

That makes it too difficult to add ingrediants by how long they need
to cook, and to reseason... anyway that's a holdover from long ago
from before stovetop cooking became a reality and real Dutch ovens
were state of the art.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 09:58:48 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/20/2019 9:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 4/20/2019 12:33 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
>>> could always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have
>>> a few Russets.

>> Sure, potatoes are more of a tradition that requirement.* Keep in mind
>> though, they do help a bit with thickening, but dredge the meat in flour
>> and get the same effect.

>As to the thickening, I'm reminded of the two very differet types of
>beef stew my grandmothers made. My maternal grandmother's beef stew was
>fairly thick and she topped it with drop dumplings, which further
>thickened the stew. My paternal grandmother's beef stew was more like a
>vegetable beef soup with the beef and vegetables cut into fairly large
>pieces. There's no wrong way to prepare beef stew.
>
>Jill

I often make beef stew with beef, mushrooms, some diced celery,
carrots and red bell pepper for color, and barley... we much prefer
barley to potatoes.
My mother rarely made beef stew, instead she made veal stew... I like
veal stew but it's not easy to find decent veal nowadays. I've never
seen any veal at the markets around here. My mom would make stock
from veal bones, and my father loved veal bone marrow. My mom loved
jellied veal stock. Us kids didn't want to listen to them slurping at
that... now that I reminisce it was like they were enjoying oral sex.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/19 2:23 PM, wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 09:58:48 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Sure, potatoes are more of a tradition that requirement.Ā* Keep in mind
>>> though, they do help a bit with thickening, but dredge the meat in flour
>>> and get the same effect.

>> As to the thickening, I'm reminded of the two very differet types of
>> beef stew my grandmothers made. My maternal grandmother's beef stew was
>> fairly thick and she topped it with drop dumplings, which further
>> thickened the stew. My paternal grandmother's beef stew was more like a
>> vegetable beef soup with the beef and vegetables cut into fairly large
>> pieces. There's no wrong way to prepare beef stew.
>>
>> Jill

> I often make beef stew with beef, mushrooms, some diced celery,
> carrots and red bell pepper for color, and barley... we much prefer
> barley to potatoes.
> My mother rarely made beef stew, instead she made veal stew... I like
> veal stew but it's not easy to find decent veal nowadays. I've never
> seen any veal at the markets around here. My mom would make stock
> from veal bones, and my father loved veal bone marrow. My mom loved
> jellied veal stock. Us kids didn't want to listen to them slurping at
> that... now that I reminisce it was like they were enjoying oral sex.

Veal/baby-cow/calf is probably not so PC these days. Price of gold when
you see it. It's available in places I frequent but for the price not
worth it to me. Too many other choices. Now you enjoy good slurp, right?

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/19 10:33 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't
> use a recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've
> always used potatoes.
>
> I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
> them two days in a row.I am also going to be using up some canned goods.
> I have a can of corn, green beans, peas and kidney beans.
>
> I used to use a lot of canned vegetables but these days we all seem to
> prefer fresh ones. We're okay with the beans and corn but even with
> beans, I tend to cook a batch of dried at least once a week. I will keep
> a few cans of the other stuff but I'd like to use some up. I will also
> add carrots, celery, onions and perhaps some form of tomato. I don't
> always put tomato in my stew. Seasonings will be salt, pepper, a bay
> leaf and parsley.
>
> I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and don't
> want a lot of leftover stew.
>
> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
> could always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a
> few Russets.

Since you are not using a recipe, whatever you put in the pot is the
dish. Don't put in any potatoes. You may want to thicken it since the
potatoes as you know won't be helping with that aspect. Nothing wrong
with beef and veg soup is you care not to thicken it.

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 9:05:57 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Goodness only knows why anyone would bother to consider replying to her
> questions. You would think that they would have all learned by now that
> no matter what you suggest, she will have a problem with it.

I saw her post last night/this morning within 10 minutes after she posted it.
As always, it won't matter what suggestions the attention whore receives,
they'll all be rejected as soon as they're given. But honestly, who debates
on whether they should or shouldn't put potatoes in a stew??? Don't answer
that, we already know the answer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 3:38:51 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 07:19:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> I always put some in a beef stew.
> >> Main thing to me is to sear the meat before going into
> >> the crockpot (which I use)

> >That's also vital for pot roast.
> >
> >I cook both stew and pot roast in the oven.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> That makes it too difficult to add ingrediants by how long they need
> to cook, and to reseason... anyway that's a holdover from long ago
> from before stovetop cooking became a reality and real Dutch ovens
> were state of the art.

I don't add ingredients. I saute a mirepoix, add garlic and seasonings,
then beef and wine. No other vegetables; my husband doesn't like them.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 1:40:19 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-04-20 10:20 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Goodness only knows why anyone would bother to consider replying to her
> >> questions. You would think that they would have all learned by now that
> >> no matter what you suggest, she will have a problem with it.

> > Evidence suggests I'm still in her killfile. I sometimes reply to her
> > posts for my own amusement, and to interact with other posters in the
> > thread.
> >

> I doubt it. She thrives on the attention. She would rather be insulted
> than ignored.

The evidence is that she doesn't reply to reject my suggestions.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 13:46:29 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 9:05:57 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Goodness only knows why anyone would bother to consider replying to her
>> questions. You would think that they would have all learned by now that
>> no matter what you suggest, she will have a problem with it.
>>

>I saw her post last night/this morning within 10 minutes after she posted it.
>As always, it won't matter what suggestions the attention whore receives,
>they'll all be rejected as soon as they're given. But honestly, who debates
>on whether they should or shouldn't put potatoes in a stew??? Don't answer
>that, we already know the answer.

Follow your own advice. If all you're capable of is name calling don't
answer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 4:47:21 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> Follow your own advice. If all you're capable of is name calling don't
> answer.

I don't ask advice of should I or shouldn't I add potatoes to a stew. If all
you're capable of is defending the attention whore you should leave your partner
and head straight to her house. Then both of you can get much deserved lobotomies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My main supermarket chain has veal in several forms, but it is usually labeled as
"previously frozen." I haven't ever tried it. I think I could get fresh veal if I gave
them enough time to order it for me. They are very accommodating.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> I never put potatoes in stew.

> I always put some in a beef stew.
> Main thing to me is to sear the meat before going into
> the crockpot (which I use)
>
>> My husband likes stew over noodles

> I've never done that but sounds good.
> Even just add them right to the stew
> near the end of cooking.
>
>> I'm fine sopping up the gravy with bread.

> I always have a slice of buttered bread (or roll)
> with stew.
>
>> Potatoes would just be carbohydrate overkill.

> LOL

Turns out that I'm not making it. He didn't eat what I made yesterday yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-04-20 10:19 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>>> I always put some in a beef stew.
>>> Main thing to me is to sear the meat before going into
>>> the crockpot (which I use)

>> That's also vital for pot roast.
>>
>> I cook both stew and pot roast in the oven.

> We have stew a lot more often that pot roasts, but both are done in the
> oven at 300. There is too much risk of boiling the stew on a burner, and
> that ruins them.

I always do them on the stove.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-20 11:58 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message

>> with stew.
>>
>>> Potatoes would just be carbohydrate overkill.

>> LOLĀ*

> Turns out that I'm not making it. He didn't eat what I made yesterday yet.

Hmmm.. I guess he is smarter than we thought.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't
>> use a
>> recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always used
>> potatoes.
>>
>> I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
>> them two days in a row.

>> I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and don't
>> want
>> a lot of leftover stew.
>>
>> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
>> could
>> always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a few
>> Russets.

> Good grief, Julie. Make it as you like it. Use all the potatoes
> that you normally do. What you don't eat can be saved in pint
> containers in your FREEZER. Lasts for at least 6 months. That's
> what freezers are for. Just quit loading up your freezer with ice
> cream and popsicles, etc.

Nope. I just threw out the last batch of stew that I put in there. Maybe
you'll eat stuff like that. We won't. I do have ice cream for Easter
dessert. No popsicles or etc. Most of what I have in both freezers is marked
down meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/20/2019 8:42 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't
>>> use a
>>> recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always used
>>> potatoes.
>>>
>>> I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
>>> them two days in a row.

>>> I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and don't
>>> want
>>> a lot of leftover stew.
>>>
>>> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
>>> could
>>> always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a few
>>> Russets.

>> Good grief, Julie. Make it as you like it. Use all the potatoes
>> that you normally do.

> Or just leave 'em out. There's no law that says stew must contain
> potatoes.
>
>> What you don't eat can be saved in pint
>> containers in your FREEZER. Lasts for at least 6 months. That's
>> what freezers are for. Just quit loading up your freezer with ice
>> cream and popsicles, etc.
>>

> I don't know what she's got in her freezer but she'll likely say there
> isn't any room or she doesn't have [zero in on *pint*] containers or some
> such thing.

Nope. I don't like to eat soup/stew/meals from the freezer. I do cook some
meat ahead and portion it out. Mainly chicken and ground beef. Need to buy
more to do that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-04-20 10:20 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Goodness only knows why anyone would bother to consider replying to her
>>> questions. You would think that they would have all learned by now that
>>> no matter what you suggest, she will have a problem with it.

>> Evidence suggests I'm still in her killfile. I sometimes reply to her
>> posts for my own amusement, and to interact with other posters in the
>> thread.
>>

> I doubt it. She thrives on the attention. She would rather be insulted
> than ignored.

She's in my KF. You're not, at present but you may go back in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 07:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> Goodness only knows why anyone would bother to consider replying to her
>>> questions. You would think that they would have all learned by now that
>>> no matter what you suggest, she will have a problem with it.

>>Evidence suggests I'm still in her killfile. I sometimes reply to her
>>posts for my own amusement, and to interact with other posters in the
>>thread.

> Since she still talks to Dave, her most frequent heckler, I doubt she
> has you killfiled.

I do!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 4/20/2019 12:33 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
>> could always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a
>> few Russets.

> Sure, potatoes are more of a tradition that requirement. Keep in mind
> though, they do help a bit with thickening, but dredge the meat in flour
> and get the same effect.

Thanks! The stew that my mom made wasn't thick at all. It had a broth to it.
So I'm not really accustomed to eating thick stew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/20/2019 9:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 4/20/2019 12:33 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
>>> could always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a
>>> few Russets.

>> Sure, potatoes are more of a tradition that requirement. Keep in mind
>> though, they do help a bit with thickening, but dredge the meat in flour
>> and get the same effect.

> As to the thickening, I'm reminded of the two very differet types of beef
> stew my grandmothers made. My maternal grandmother's beef stew was fairly
> thick and she topped it with drop dumplings, which further thickened the
> stew. My paternal grandmother's beef stew was more like a vegetable beef
> soup with the beef and vegetables cut into fairly large pieces. There's
> no wrong way to prepare beef stew.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't
>> use a recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've
>> always used potatoes.
>>
>> I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to
>> eat them two days in a row.I am also going to be using up some canned
>> goods. I have a can of corn, green beans, peas and kidney beans.
>>
>> I used to use a lot of canned vegetables but these days we all seem to
>> prefer fresh ones. We're okay with the beans and corn but even with
>> beans, I tend to cook a batch of dried at least once a week. I will
>> keep a few cans of the other stuff but I'd like to use some up. I will
>> also add carrots, celery, onions and perhaps some form of tomato. I
>> don't always put tomato in my stew. Seasonings will be salt, pepper, a
>> bay leaf and parsley.
>>
>> I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and
>> don't want a lot of leftover stew.
>>
>> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
>> could always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have
>> a few Russets.
>>

> Maybe some pasta? Shells or elbow mac?

None of us like pasta very much, But thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't use
>>recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always used
>>potatoes.
>>
>>I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
>>them two days in a row.

> Huh? You're cooking potatoeless stew for tomorrow... tomorrow is
> Easter... yet you'll be making potatoes tomorrow?!?!?!

The stew was for today but I didn't make it. He didn't eat yesterday's meal
yet.