General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-04-2019, 04:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 975
Default Black pepper again

I mentioned about the Kampot pepper about a week ago. I did another
taste test today. One of the best ways to taste pepper is to put some on
watermelon. So, since we have the melon, I did a comparison.

Our normal pepper mix is about 70% Tellicherry black pepper. 10% each of
white, pink, green. The others are more for looks than taste.

So, on one piece of watermelon I put the usual blend, the other I put
the expensive Kampot. My finding were each was much different. The
blend of peppers had nice flavor and no real heat. The Kampot had
little flavor, but much more heat.

On a 1 to 10 scale for heat, I'd put the blend at barely a 2, the Kampot
a 5, cayenne would be a 10.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-04-2019, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 155
Default Black pepper again

On 4/15/19 9:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I mentioned about the Kampot pepper about a week ago.* I did another
taste test today. One of the best ways to taste pepper is to put some on
watermelon.* So, since we have the melon, I did a comparison.

Our normal pepper mix is about 70% Tellicherry black pepper. 10% each of
white, pink, green.* The others are more for looks than taste.

So, on one piece of watermelon I put the usual blend, the other I put
the expensive Kampot.* My finding were each was much different.* The
blend of peppers had nice flavor and no real heat.* The Kampot had
little flavor, but much more heat.

On a 1 to 10 scale for heat, I'd put the blend at barely a 2, the Kampot
a 5, cayenne would be a 10.


I'm a pepper lover and not seen or tried Kampot. Do you have a good
source? Since it is expensive how are you using it .. with what foods?
Thanks.

jay
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-04-2019, 08:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 975
Default Black pepper again

On 4/15/2019 2:21 PM, jay wrote:
On 4/15/19 9:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I mentioned about the Kampot pepper about a week ago.* I did another
taste test today. One of the best ways to taste pepper is to put some
on watermelon.* So, since we have the melon, I did a comparison.

Our normal pepper mix is about 70% Tellicherry black pepper. 10% each
of white, pink, green.* The others are more for looks than taste.

So, on one piece of watermelon I put the usual blend, the other I put
the expensive Kampot.* My finding were each was much different.* The
blend of peppers had nice flavor and no real heat.* The Kampot had
little flavor, but much more heat.

On a 1 to 10 scale for heat, I'd put the blend at barely a 2, the
Kampot a 5, cayenne would be a 10.


I'm a pepper lover and not seen or tried Kampot.* Do you have a good
source?* Since it is expensive how are you using it .. with what foods?
Thanks.

jay


Got it at Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Just using it on regular foods, potatoes, especially my morning eggs. I
smoked a brisket recently but would never use pricey delicate flavored
pepper on it.
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-04-2019, 08:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5,827
Default Black pepper again

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 12:21:19 -0600, jay wrote:

On 4/15/19 9:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I mentioned about the Kampot pepper about a week ago.* I did another
taste test today. One of the best ways to taste pepper is to put some on
watermelon.* So, since we have the melon, I did a comparison.

Our normal pepper mix is about 70% Tellicherry black pepper. 10% each of
white, pink, green.* The others are more for looks than taste.

So, on one piece of watermelon I put the usual blend, the other I put
the expensive Kampot.* My finding were each was much different.* The
blend of peppers had nice flavor and no real heat.* The Kampot had
little flavor, but much more heat.

On a 1 to 10 scale for heat, I'd put the blend at barely a 2, the Kampot
a 5, cayenne would be a 10.


I'm a pepper lover and not seen or tried Kampot. Do you have a good
source? Since it is expensive how are you using it .. with what foods?
Thanks.

jay


I'm a peppercorn lover, I'm not an affectionado of hot chili peppers
however I love bell peppers, waw or cooked. The only peppercorns I
crind are black tellicherry and white peppercorns but never mixed
together. There are many dishes that benefit from white peppercorns,
most Asian dishes, seafood, and egg dishes.... I much prefer white
pepper with an omelet, the flavor is a great enhancement and who needs
all those black specks om their eggs, blech. This is a great buy:
https://www.amazon.com/Badia-White-P...70_&dpSrc=srch

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-04-2019, 08:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 155
Default Black pepper again

On 4/15/19 1:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/15/2019 2:21 PM, jay wrote:
On 4/15/19 9:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I mentioned about the Kampot pepper about a week ago.* I did another
taste test today. One of the best ways to taste pepper is to put some
on watermelon.* So, since we have the melon, I did a comparison.

Our normal pepper mix is about 70% Tellicherry black pepper. 10% each
of white, pink, green.* The others are more for looks than taste.

So, on one piece of watermelon I put the usual blend, the other I put
the expensive Kampot.* My finding were each was much different.* The
blend of peppers had nice flavor and no real heat.* The Kampot had
little flavor, but much more heat.

On a 1 to 10 scale for heat, I'd put the blend at barely a 2, the
Kampot a 5, cayenne would be a 10.


I'm a pepper lover and not seen or tried Kampot.* Do you have a good
source?* Since it is expensive how are you using it .. with what
foods? Thanks.

jay


Got it at Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1


Just using it on regular foods, potatoes, especially my morning eggs.* I
smoked a brisket recently but would never use pricey delicate flavored
pepper on it.


Thanks for the link and input. I will order some.

jay


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-04-2019, 08:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,571
Default Black pepper again

The only think I put black pepper on is hard boiled eggs which I had for lunch today.
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-04-2019, 08:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 155
Default Black pepper again

On 4/15/19 1:22 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 12:21:19 -0600, jay wrote:

On 4/15/19 9:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I mentioned about the Kampot pepper about a week ago.* I did another
taste test today. One of the best ways to taste pepper is to put some on
watermelon.* So, since we have the melon, I did a comparison.

Our normal pepper mix is about 70% Tellicherry black pepper. 10% each of
white, pink, green.* The others are more for looks than taste.

So, on one piece of watermelon I put the usual blend, the other I put
the expensive Kampot.* My finding were each was much different.* The
blend of peppers had nice flavor and no real heat.* The Kampot had
little flavor, but much more heat.

On a 1 to 10 scale for heat, I'd put the blend at barely a 2, the Kampot
a 5, cayenne would be a 10.


I'm a pepper lover and not seen or tried Kampot. Do you have a good
source? Since it is expensive how are you using it .. with what foods?
Thanks.

jay


I'm a peppercorn lover, I'm not an affectionado of hot chili peppers
however I love bell peppers, waw or cooked. The only peppercorns I
crind are black tellicherry and white peppercorns but never mixed
together. There are many dishes that benefit from white peppercorns,
most Asian dishes, seafood, and egg dishes.... I much prefer white
pepper with an omelet, the flavor is a great enhancement and who needs
all those black specks om their eggs, blech. This is a great buy:
https://www.amazon.com/Badia-White-P...70_&dpSrc=srch


I like most all peppers and especially chile peppers. I didn't know eggs
could be consumed without those beautiful black specks all over them. I
particularly like the pepper specks ground extra fine on eggs. (: White
peppers is a unique flavor and has a good look (invisible) on certain
white dishes. I looked at Penzeys site for Kampot but didn't find it.

Good link, thanks. Thats a lot of white pepper for the money!

jay

  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-04-2019, 09:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,694
Default Black pepper again

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 9:56:05 AM UTC-10, jay wrote:
On 4/15/19 1:22 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 12:21:19 -0600, jay wrote:

On 4/15/19 9:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I mentioned about the Kampot pepper about a week ago.* I did another
taste test today. One of the best ways to taste pepper is to put some on
watermelon.* So, since we have the melon, I did a comparison.

Our normal pepper mix is about 70% Tellicherry black pepper. 10% each of
white, pink, green.* The others are more for looks than taste.

So, on one piece of watermelon I put the usual blend, the other I put
the expensive Kampot.* My finding were each was much different.* The
blend of peppers had nice flavor and no real heat.* The Kampot had
little flavor, but much more heat.

On a 1 to 10 scale for heat, I'd put the blend at barely a 2, the Kampot
a 5, cayenne would be a 10.

I'm a pepper lover and not seen or tried Kampot. Do you have a good
source? Since it is expensive how are you using it .. with what foods?
Thanks.

jay


I'm a peppercorn lover, I'm not an affectionado of hot chili peppers
however I love bell peppers, waw or cooked. The only peppercorns I
crind are black tellicherry and white peppercorns but never mixed
together. There are many dishes that benefit from white peppercorns,
most Asian dishes, seafood, and egg dishes.... I much prefer white
pepper with an omelet, the flavor is a great enhancement and who needs
all those black specks om their eggs, blech. This is a great buy:
https://www.amazon.com/Badia-White-P...70_&dpSrc=srch


I like most all peppers and especially chile peppers. I didn't know eggs
could be consumed without those beautiful black specks all over them. I
particularly like the pepper specks ground extra fine on eggs. (: White
peppers is a unique flavor and has a good look (invisible) on certain
white dishes. I looked at Penzeys site for Kampot but didn't find it.

Good link, thanks. Thats a lot of white pepper for the money!

jay


Beautiful black specks? I've never thought of it that way.

I've never tried white pepper. Maybe I'll try it someday if I can get my paws on some cheap. The Chinese like to cook with white pepper. I can't say why.
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-04-2019, 10:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,971
Default Black pepper again

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 2:52:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:

The only think I put black pepper on is hard boiled eggs which I had for lunch today.

Fresh ground black pepper is good on mashed potatoes or a baked potato as
well as eggs cooked any way. It's rather tasty on a pizza as well.
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-04-2019, 10:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11,763
Default Black pepper again

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 13:57:29 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 9:56:05 AM UTC-10, jay wrote:
On 4/15/19 1:22 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 12:21:19 -0600, jay wrote:

On 4/15/19 9:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I mentioned about the Kampot pepper about a week ago.* I did another
taste test today. One of the best ways to taste pepper is to put some on
watermelon.* So, since we have the melon, I did a comparison.

Our normal pepper mix is about 70% Tellicherry black pepper. 10% each of
white, pink, green.* The others are more for looks than taste.

So, on one piece of watermelon I put the usual blend, the other I put
the expensive Kampot.* My finding were each was much different.* The
blend of peppers had nice flavor and no real heat.* The Kampot had
little flavor, but much more heat.

On a 1 to 10 scale for heat, I'd put the blend at barely a 2, the Kampot
a 5, cayenne would be a 10.

I'm a pepper lover and not seen or tried Kampot. Do you have a good
source? Since it is expensive how are you using it .. with what foods?
Thanks.

jay

I'm a peppercorn lover, I'm not an affectionado of hot chili peppers
however I love bell peppers, waw or cooked. The only peppercorns I
crind are black tellicherry and white peppercorns but never mixed
together. There are many dishes that benefit from white peppercorns,
most Asian dishes, seafood, and egg dishes.... I much prefer white
pepper with an omelet, the flavor is a great enhancement and who needs
all those black specks om their eggs, blech. This is a great buy:
https://www.amazon.com/Badia-White-P...70_&dpSrc=srch


I like most all peppers and especially chile peppers. I didn't know eggs
could be consumed without those beautiful black specks all over them. I
particularly like the pepper specks ground extra fine on eggs. (: White
peppers is a unique flavor and has a good look (invisible) on certain
white dishes. I looked at Penzeys site for Kampot but didn't find it.

Good link, thanks. Thats a lot of white pepper for the money!

jay


Beautiful black specks? I've never thought of it that way.

I've never tried white pepper. Maybe I'll try it someday if I can get my paws on some cheap. The Chinese like to cook with white pepper. I can't say why.


Because it doesn't create black specks, reminiscent of cockroach poo?


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-04-2019, 03:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,604
Default Black pepper again

jay wrote:
I'm a pepper lover and not seen or tried Kampot. Do you have a good
source? Since it is expensive how are you using it .. with what foods?
Thanks.

jay


If you're a pepper lover, you should try Wynad pepper, which is pretty
strong!

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-04-2019, 02:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 149
Default Black pepper again

On 4/15/2019 3:21 PM, wrote:

Fresh ground black pepper is good on mashed potatoes or a baked potato as
well as eggs cooked any way. It's rather tasty on a pizza as well.


check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/Peppercorns-o...28-spons&psc=1

****OR****

https://tinyurl.com/y4dbvs5l

Problem is, I jes watched a segment, on streaming CBS news, that decries
Amazon's problem with "counterfeit" products being sold on Amazon's
web-site. It appears to be a major problem and I have zero solutions. 8|

nb
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-04-2019, 04:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 975
Default Black pepper again

On 4/16/2019 9:41 AM, Gary wrote:

Whenever I make "french fries," I never
add ketchup but I do salt them well and literally blacken them
with tons of pepper. yum!


Often I also add some garlic powder and a little oregano and basil.
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-04-2019, 08:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,575
Default Black pepper again

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 07:03:42 -0600, notbob wrote:

On 4/15/2019 3:21 PM, wrote:

Fresh ground black pepper is good on mashed potatoes or a baked potato as
well as eggs cooked any way. It's rather tasty on a pizza as well.


check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/Peppercorns-o...28-spons&psc=1

****OR****

https://tinyurl.com/y4dbvs5l

Problem is, I jes watched a segment, on streaming CBS news, that decries
Amazon's problem with "counterfeit" products being sold on Amazon's
web-site. It appears to be a major problem and I have zero solutions. 8|

nb


Walmart/Jet offers goods from myriad sellers these days, too, and the
only reason they don't make the news for fake crap that sneaks by is
that they are still considerably smaller than Amazon, which is almost
the size of that black hole we all looked at last week.

Ordering online, as with ordering from catalogs in the days of old,
always has some degree of iffiness. The best defense is a retailer who
will refund your money if you get shoddy goods.

The customer review system, which was supposed to help guide the
purchaser away from bad products or sellers, does not really work as
anticipated and must also be looked at skeptically and only in
aggregate.

OF -if you're looking for a very tasty black pepper, try Kampot, which
is Cambodian.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
garlic and/or black pepper? Gus[_3_] General Cooking 65 21-12-2013 03:16 AM
Chai tea black pepper Space Cowboy Tea 5 02-06-2010 08:04 AM
Black pepper air? bulka[_2_] General Cooking 9 04-03-2010 07:17 AM
Black Pepper Walker General Cooking 14 23-02-2009 10:28 PM
Lentil and Sweet Red Pepper Soup with Cumin and Black Pepper Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 29-12-2004 04:17 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017