Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kentucky Mint Candy Recipe?

Brachs used to make a candy called Kentucky Mints. They were a white, chalky
mint, almost like a buttermint but not quite. The centers were a stiff green
mint jelly. Some company makes similar candies ut they are fruit flavors and
not mint. I want mint! I did search for a recipe but only came up with
buttermints and mint drinks.

Anyone? Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 22:44:18 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> Brachs used to make a candy called Kentucky Mints. They were a white, chalky
> mint, almost like a buttermint but not quite. The centers were a stiff green
> mint jelly. Some company makes similar candies ut they are fruit flavors and
> not mint. I want mint! I did search for a recipe but only came up with
> buttermints and mint drinks.
>
> Anyone? Thanks!

Lets just skip to the end:

Your either allergic to them now or wouldn't like them anymore.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 1:54:48 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 22:44:18 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > Brachs used to make a candy called Kentucky Mints. They were a white, chalky
> > mint, almost like a buttermint but not quite. The centers were a stiff green
> > mint jelly. Some company makes similar candies ut they are fruit flavors and
> > not mint. I want mint! I did search for a recipe but only came up with
> > buttermints and mint drinks.
> >
> > Anyone? Thanks!

> Lets just skip to the end:
>
> Your either allergic to them now or wouldn't like them anymore.
>
> -sw

And KutheChocolates.com makes Mints, but we are OFF SEASON NOW!

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and KutheChocolates.com's Mint Maker!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brach's still makes mint candy but it may not be what you're talking about.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 06:18:33 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:

> And KutheChocolates.com makes Mints, but we are OFF SEASON NOW!

Coming soon to a landfill near Bel Noir, MO!

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> Brachs used to make a candy called Kentucky Mints. They were a white, chalky
> mint, almost like a buttermint but not quite. The centers were a stiff green
> mint jelly. Some company makes similar candies ut they are fruit flavors and
> not mint. I want mint! I did search for a recipe but only came up with
> buttermints and mint drinks.
>
> Anyone? Thanks!

if you have butter mint recipe you can
likely adapt that to be the mint you want.

the filling could likely be something
pretty similar to what a gummy bear is
like.

i've never tried to make any of those
chalky mints, but i doubt they'd be that
difficult.

there are a lot of candy making vids on
the youtube.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie, did you Google for that "old-time candy" website? I don't have the link anymore, but
if they don't have it, they are responsive to viewers' questions, via email.

(They couldn't help with my son's desire for "Sour Bites," which he called "tiger bites,"
because they had a tiger's facial outline etched on one side. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 1:54:48 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 22:44:18 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > Brachs used to make a candy called Kentucky Mints. They were a white,
>> > chalky
>> > mint, almost like a buttermint but not quite. The centers were a stiff
>> > green
>> > mint jelly. Some company makes similar candies ut they are fruit
>> > flavors and
>> > not mint. I want mint! I did search for a recipe but only came up with
>> > buttermints and mint drinks.
>> >
>> > Anyone? Thanks!

>> Lets just skip to the end:
>>
>> Your either allergic to them now or wouldn't like them anymore.
>>
>> -sw

> And KutheChocolates.com makes Mints, but we are OFF SEASON NOW!
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and KutheChocolates.com's Mint Maker!

Yes but it's not chocolate mints that I want. And... I too make chocolates
so if I wanted those, I would make them myself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Brach's still makes mint candy but it may not be what you're talking
> about.

It's not. They still make Starlight mints and maybe mint leaves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Brachs used to make a candy called Kentucky Mints. They were a white,
>> chalky
>> mint, almost like a buttermint but not quite. The centers were a stiff
>> green
>> mint jelly. Some company makes similar candies ut they are fruit flavors
>> and
>> not mint. I want mint! I did search for a recipe but only came up with
>> buttermints and mint drinks.
>>
>> Anyone? Thanks!

> if you have butter mint recipe you can
> likely adapt that to be the mint you want.
>
> the filling could likely be something
> pretty similar to what a gummy bear is
> like.
>
> i've never tried to make any of those
> chalky mints, but i doubt they'd be that
> difficult.
>
> there are a lot of candy making vids on
> the youtube.

I know how to make all kinds of mints. The filling is the problem. It's not
like a gummy candy but stiffer than that of a gum drop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Julie, did you Google for that "old-time candy" website? I don't have the
> link anymore, but
> if they don't have it, they are responsive to viewers' questions, via
> email.
>
> (They couldn't help with my son's desire for "Sour Bites," which he called
> "tiger bites,"
> because they had a tiger's facial outline etched on one side. ;-))
>
> N.

I didn't Google it but I have been there. There is a company that makes the
same sort of candy but with mixed fruit fillings. They don't make mint
though..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I know how to make all kinds of mints. The filling is the problem. It's not
> like a gummy candy but stiffer than that of a gum drop.

well goodness! i'm sure there's all sorts of
recipes out there for various type of gums,
jellies, etc. have fun.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know how to make all kinds of mints. The filling is the problem. It's
>> not
>> like a gummy candy but stiffer than that of a gum drop.

> well goodness! i'm sure there's all sorts of
> recipes out there for various type of gums,
> jellies, etc. have fun.

I haven't found too many. And the ones I've tried are not the right texture.
They also need to be rolled in sugar as they are very sticky.