Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ever make Chex Mix?

When I was a kid in the 1960s, my mother made Chex mix. Made from 2 or 3
Chex cereal flavors, pretzels, nuts, and maybe more....

It was mixed and coated with some sort of spicy flavored coating.

But what was that coating?????
was it baked in the oven, or just sprayed on, or what????

I only remember it was very good and tastey......

Yea, today you can buy the mix at any store, but it's dull and lacks
flavor. Its mostly just cereal and a few pretzels.

Mom is gone, so I cant ask her....

Has anyone on here made this stuff?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Average Person" > wrote in message
> When I was a kid in the 1960s, my mother made Chex mix. Made from 2 or 3
> Chex cereal flavors, pretzels, nuts, and maybe more....
>
> It was mixed and coated with some sort of spicy flavored coating.
>
> But what was that coating?????
> was it baked in the oven, or just sprayed on, or what????
>
> I only remember it was very good and tastey......
>
> Yea, today you can buy the mix at any store, but it's dull and lacks
> flavor. Its mostly just cereal and a few pretzels.
>
> Mom is gone, so I cant ask her....
>
> Has anyone on here made this stuff?

I wouldn't make it as I don't like it. I think my mom used margarine and
Worcestershire sauce. Surely there is a recipe online. Yep. Although my mom
only used peanuts and not mixed nuts. Pretzel sticks and no bagel chips.

https://www.chex.com/recipes/original-chex-mix/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 4:24:47 AM UTC-4, Average Person wrote:
> When I was a kid in the 1960s, my mother made Chex mix. Made from 2 or 3
> Chex cereal flavors, pretzels, nuts, and maybe more....
>
> It was mixed and coated with some sort of spicy flavored coating.
>
> But what was that coating?????
> was it baked in the oven, or just sprayed on, or what????
>
> I only remember it was very good and tastey......
>
> Yea, today you can buy the mix at any store, but it's dull and lacks
> flavor. Its mostly just cereal and a few pretzels.
>
> Mom is gone, so I cant ask her....
>
> Has anyone on here made this stuff?

Of course. Is google broken on your computer?

<https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/the-original-chex-party-mix-128094>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 10:24:47 PM UTC-10, Average Person wrote:
> When I was a kid in the 1960s, my mother made Chex mix. Made from 2 or 3
> Chex cereal flavors, pretzels, nuts, and maybe more....
>
> It was mixed and coated with some sort of spicy flavored coating.
>
> But what was that coating?????
> was it baked in the oven, or just sprayed on, or what????
>
> I only remember it was very good and tastey......
>
> Yea, today you can buy the mix at any store, but it's dull and lacks
> flavor. Its mostly just cereal and a few pretzels.
>
> Mom is gone, so I cant ask her....
>
> Has anyone on here made this stuff?

I have made this party food. That spicy taste is from the Worcester sauce. I don't think it's very spicy but it is piquant. The coating consists mostly of sugar and oil. It is mixed into the dry cereal and baked at a low temperature to dry out the sticky mixture.

There is a variation of Chex Mix where the cereal is coated with a mixture of chocolate and peanut and sugar. It's not baked and kids dig it.

These days, I like to make furikake Chex mix which is the hapa-haole version of Chex Mix i.e., half Japanese, half American. It is a most remarkable snack.

https://saucymommy.wordpress.com/201...kake-chex-mix/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dear Average CLUELESS Person:

Look at a box of Chex cereal, and there is the "recipe" in all its glory...butter, Worcestershire sauce,
seasoned salt...don't know what else if anything...and you can make it yourself. I make it at least
once a year at the holidays. No mystery.

Did it never occur to you to look???

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2019 6:39 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

> Dear Average CLUELESS Person:
>
> Look at a box of Chex cereal, and there is the "recipe" in all its glory...butter, Worcestershire sauce,
> seasoned salt...don't know what else if anything...and you can make it yourself. I make it at least
> once a year at the holidays. No mystery.
>
> Did it never occur to you to look???
>
> N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2019 6:39 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

> Dear Average CLUELESS Person:

> Did it never occur to you to look???

At least the question she asked is about food, a wholly appropriate
subject (more than I can say fer some threads).

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 7:39:54 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:

> Dear Average CLUELESS Person:
>
> Look at a box of Chex cereal, and there is the "recipe" in all its glory...butter, Worcestershire sauce,
> seasoned salt...don't know what else if anything...and you can make it yourself. I make it at least
> once a year at the holidays. No mystery.
>
> Did it never occur to you to look???
>
> N.

Another poster that wants someone else to do their searching for them.
Recipes abound on the internet if they can't be bothered to look at a
box of cereal for the recipe. Lots of variations and I can munch on that
stuff until someone smacks my hand and says 'enough!'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm with you, itsjoan...that stuff is addictive, and easily gobbled up without thinking about it, like
when I am reading or watching a movie. ;-)). I confess, when I make it, it is usually mostly
because I want some, not because someone else asked for it.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 2:34:33 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:

> I'm with you, itsjoan...that stuff is addictive, and easily gobbled up without thinking about it, like
> when I am reading or watching a movie. ;-)). I confess, when I make it, it is usually mostly
> because I want some, not because someone else asked for it.
>
> N.

I think the first I ever had it was when I went to work as a young teenager and
it was at an office Christmas wing-ding. I asked "what's this?" The reply
was "nuts and bolts." I was an immediate fan and I've not heard the term
"nuts and bolts" in ages. When it's on a table, stand back! I'm diving in!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> I'm with you, itsjoan...that stuff is addictive, and easily gobbled up
> without thinking about it, like
> when I am reading or watching a movie. ;-)). I confess, when I make it,
> it is usually mostly
> because I want some, not because someone else asked for it.
>
> N.

Not to me it isn't. I don't even like to be around when it's baking. Smells
awful. Tastes worse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 2:51:07 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>
> > I'm with you, itsjoan...that stuff is addictive, and easily gobbled up
> > without thinking about it, like
> > when I am reading or watching a movie. ;-)). I confess, when I make it,
> > it is usually mostly
> > because I want some, not because someone else asked for it.
> >
> > N.

> Not to me it isn't. I don't even like to be around when it's baking. Smells
> awful. Tastes worse.

Throw some beans and brown rice in the mix; you'll love it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>glory...butter, Worcestershire sauce,

>it yourself. I make it at least

>>> The problem is Nancy2 doesn't quote when she replies; she's probably
>>> answering a question that was asked in 1999...
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Actually, the person posed the question at 3:24 this morning.
>>

>If she doesn't quote and I don't use Google Groups, how am I to know?
>Even if it's a reply to someone I have k/f'd because of previous
>CLUELESS posts I don't know unless the post is quoted. Nothing
>against Nancy, I know she's able to quote. She generally doesn't.
>
>Jill

try using trn:

rec.food.cooking #1471387 (0 + 20 more) (1)+-(1)
From: Average Person > |-(1)
[1] Ever make Chex Mix? |-(1)
Date: Fri Mar 15 03:24:40 CDT 2019 \-(1)+-(1)
+ \-(1)+-(1)+-(1)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> glory...butter, Worcestershire sauce,

>> it yourself. I make it at least

>>> Actually, the person posed the question at 3:24 this morning.
>>>

>> If she doesn't quote and I don't use Google Groups, how am I to know?
>> Even if it's a reply to someone I have k/f'd because of previous
>> CLUELESS posts I don't know unless the post is quoted. Nothing
>> against Nancy, I know she's able to quote. She generally doesn't.
>>
>> Jill

> try using trn:
>

> rec.food.cooking #1471387 (0 + 20 more) (1)+-(1)
> From: Average Person > |-(1)
> [1] Ever make Chex Mix? |-(1)
> Date: Fri Mar 15 03:24:40 CDT 2019 \-(1)+-(1)
> + \-(1)+-(1)+-(1)

Uh... no thanks. I'm not jumping through hoops because Nancy2 doesn't
quote.

I do love Chex Mix, though. Haven't made it in years. Yes, it's as
simple as reading the recipe on any one of the three boxes of Chex
cereals. Rice, Corn or Wheat Chex.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 5:37:55 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> On 3/15/2019 6:26 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>
> >> If she doesn't quote and I don't use Google Groups, how am I to know?
> >> Even if it's a reply to someone I have k/f'd because of previous
> >> CLUELESS posts I don't know unless the post is quoted. Nothing
> >> against Nancy, I know she's able to quote. She generally doesn't.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > try using trn:
> >

> > rec.food.cooking #1471387 (0 + 20 more) (1)+-(1)
> > From: Average Person > |-(1)
> > [1] Ever make Chex Mix? |-(1)
> > Date: Fri Mar 15 03:24:40 CDT 2019 \-(1)+-(1)
> > + \-(1)+-(1)+-(1)
> >

> Uh... no thanks. I'm not jumping through hoops because Nancy2 doesn't
> quote.
>
> Jill

I *think* she said her tablet that she uses doesn't show the original post.
That is also a problem, I believe, when anyone accesses these groups using a
cell phone. But don't quote me on that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 6:40:41 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-03-15 6:29 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > LOLOL!Â* How could anyone guess Julie wouldn't like Chex Mix?
> >

> It threw me right off. I would never have expected that.
>
> <sarcasm mode on> but only noted because some people here are dense.

*Giggle*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jmcquown
> wrote:

> I do love Chex Mix, though. Haven't made it in years. Yes, it's as
> simple as reading the recipe on any one of the three boxes of Chex
> cereals. Rice, Corn or Wheat Chex.

I love Chex Mix too. I probably last made it three or four years ago.
The problem is that I have to buy three boxes of Chex, and I don't use
them all. The partial box of Wheat Chex languishes until I finally
throw it out two years later. I don't like it as a breakfast cereal.
I suppose I could do a box and a box and a box and up the other
ingredients. Then I'd have a ton that cost a fortune.
Decisions, decisions, decisions. Maybe this year again. By the way, the
pre-mixed stuff in the snack food aisle sucks! They ought to be
ashamed.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 1:27:12 PM UTC-10, wrote:

> > > try using trn:
> > >

> > > rec.food.cooking #1471387 (0 + 20 more) (1)+-(1)
> > > From: Average Person > |-(1)
> > > [1] Ever make Chex Mix? |-(1)
> > > Date: Fri Mar 15 03:24:40 CDT 2019 \-(1)+-(1)
> > > + \-(1)+-(1)+-(1)
> > >

> > Uh... no thanks. I'm not jumping through hoops because Nancy2 doesn't
> > quote.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> I *think* she said her tablet that she uses doesn't show the original post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2019 8:01 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, jmcquown
> > wrote:
>

>> I do love Chex Mix, though. Haven't made it in years. Yes, it's as
>> simple as reading the recipe on any one of the three boxes of Chex
>> cereals. Rice, Corn or Wheat Chex.

> I love Chex Mix too. I probably last made it three or four years ago.
> The problem is that I have to buy three boxes of Chex, and I don't use
> them all. The partial box of Wheat Chex languishes until I finally
> throw it out two years later.

If you live in an area with birds, they'll eat it. But I get what
you're saying.

> I don't like it as a breakfast cereal.

The only dry breakfast cereal I tend to eat is plain old Cheerios. No
sugar, not Honey Nut or Apple whatever.

> I suppose I could do a box and a box and a box and up the other
> ingredients. Then I'd have a ton that cost a fortune.

LOL

> Decisions, decisions, decisions. Maybe this year again. By the way, the
> pre-mixed stuff in the snack food aisle sucks! They ought to be
> ashamed.
>
> leo

It's been years since I tried the store bought snack. I could drag out
the ingredients list for Bruce but I'd rather not.

I like Chex mix. The homemade recipe. I have to admit I haven't really
thought about it in a very long time.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2019 6:02 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 4:24:47 AM UTC-4, Average Person wrote:
>> When I was a kid in the 1960s, my mother made Chex mix. Made from 2 or 3
>> Chex cereal flavors, pretzels, nuts, and maybe more....
>>
>> It was mixed and coated with some sort of spicy flavored coating.
>>
>> But what was that coating?????
>> was it baked in the oven, or just sprayed on, or what????
>>
>> I only remember it was very good and tastey......
>>
>> Yea, today you can buy the mix at any store, but it's dull and lacks
>> flavor. Its mostly just cereal and a few pretzels.
>>
>> Mom is gone, so I cant ask her....
>>
>> Has anyone on here made this stuff?

> Of course. Is google broken on your computer?
>
> <https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/the-original-chex-party-mix-128094>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Now that I can see the original post (thanks, Cindy!) not the one Nancy2
replied to without quotes.. pf course the answer is on Google or any
cereal box of Chex cereal. At least it's an on-topic post. I do
wonder, is the OP going to try the homemade Chex Mix and report back?
That will be the tell.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 00:35:33 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>>> Uh... no thanks. I'm not jumping through hoops because Nancy2 doesn't
>>> quote.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> I *think* she said her tablet that she uses doesn't show the original post.
>> That is also a problem, I believe, when anyone accesses these groups using a
>> cell phone. But don't quote me on that.
>>

>I only access this group using my cell phone, and I don’t have a problem
>showing/quoting original posts. I do, however, have a problem with the app
>messing up punctuation in the posts I make. There’s not much I can do
>about that.

I see nothing wrong. Or does it turn single spaces into double spaces?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 00:35:33 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> > wrote:

>>> I *think* she said her tablet that she uses doesn't show the original post.
>>> That is also a problem, I believe, when anyone accesses these groups using a
>>> cell phone. But don't quote me on that.
>>>

>> I only access this group using my cell phone, and I donÂ’t have a problem
>> showing/quoting original posts. I do, however, have a problem with the app
>> messing up punctuation in the posts I make. ThereÂ’s not much I can do
>> about that.

> I see nothing wrong. Or does it turn single spaces into double spaces?

It removes commas and apostrophes, for one. The double space is a personal
preference because thats the way I was taught, even though it is no longer
considered correct.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-15 8:16 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/15/2019 7:49 PM, wrote:
>

>>> It threw me right off. I would never have expected that.
>>>
>>> <sarcasm mode on> but only noted because some people here are dense.
>>>

>> *Giggle*
>>

> Some poeple will likely chime up and ask "What is Chex Mix?"

Cue Ophelia. The smarter ones will Google.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 8:15:34 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-03-15 8:16 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > Some poeple will likely chime up and ask "What is Chex Mix?"

> Cue Ophelia. The smarter ones will Google.

You nailed it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 01:04:34 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:

>>> I only access this group using my cell phone, and I don?t have a problem
>>> showing/quoting original posts. I do, however, have a problem with the app
>>> messing up punctuation in the posts I make. There?s not much I can do
>>> about that.

>> I see nothing wrong. Or does it turn single spaces into double spaces?
>>

>It removes commas and apostrophes, for one. The double space is a personal
>preference because that’s the way I was taught, even though it is no longer
>considered correct.

I see that you use fancy/curly apostrophes. Can't you use straight
ones? They might survive better during quoting and re-quoting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 18:32:52 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 8:15:34 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> On 2019-03-15 8:16 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> >
>> > Some poeple will likely chime up and ask "What is Chex Mix?"

>> Cue Ophelia. The smarter ones will Google.
>>

>You nailed it

If we all Google instead of asking someone here, we can just as well
close RFC.