Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Silvar's Chex Mix

Who doesn't like this stuff?

After playing around with the recipe for years, I've gotten it to
where I think it is just right. For me. YMMV, of course.

Silvar's Chex Mix

4 cups Corn Chex [1]
4 cups Rice Chex
1 cup bagel chips (plain) [2]
1 cup small pretzels or pretzel sticks
1 cup Cheerios [3]
1 cup salted peanuts
1 cup salted cashews

8 tbsp. margarine [4]
2 tsp. Lawrie's Seasoned Salt or McCormick's SeasonAll [5]
2.5 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce [6]
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Melt margarine in a pan. Stir in
seasoned salt, Worcestershire and garlic powder.

Mix dry ingredients in a really large baking pan. Drizzle margarine
mixture over dry ingredients, stirring to coat evenly.

Bake in oven 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Turn off
oven and leave mix in oven with door ajar until cool. Store in
airtight container.

Notes:

[1] The standard recipe calls for 2 2/3 cup each of Corn, Rice, and
Wheat Chex. I don't care much for Wheat Chex, so upped the quantity
of Corn and Rice Chex accordingly.

[2] Modern versions of the recipe call for garlic bagel chips. The
ones I've tried are too garlicky and the flavor gets in the way of the
main flavors, so I use plain bagel chips.

[3] My mother put Cheerios in her version 50 years ago. I'm not about
to exclude them in mine! :-)

[4] Use margarine, not butter. Butter gives it a "too buttery" flavor
that clashes with the other flavors (IMO).

[5] Or whatever seasoned salt floats your boat.

[6] Or more it you like.

Enjoy!

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:
> Who doesn't like this stuff?
>
> After playing around with the recipe for years, I've gotten it to
> where I think it is just right. For me. YMMV, of course.
>
> Silvar's Chex Mix
>
> 4 cups Corn Chex [1]
> 4 cups Rice Chex
> 1 cup bagel chips (plain) [2]
> 1 cup small pretzels or pretzel sticks
> 1 cup Cheerios [3]
> 1 cup salted peanuts
> 1 cup salted cashews
>
> 8 tbsp. margarine [4]
> 2 tsp. Lawrie's Seasoned Salt or McCormick's SeasonAll [5]
> 2.5 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce [6]
> 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
>
> Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Melt margarine in a pan. Stir in
> seasoned salt, Worcestershire and garlic powder.
>
> Mix dry ingredients in a really large baking pan. Drizzle margarine
> mixture over dry ingredients, stirring to coat evenly.
>
> Bake in oven 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Turn off
> oven and leave mix in oven with door ajar until cool. Store in
> airtight container.
>
> Notes:
>
> [1] The standard recipe calls for 2 2/3 cup each of Corn, Rice, and
> Wheat Chex. I don't care much for Wheat Chex, so upped the quantity
> of Corn and Rice Chex accordingly.
>
> [2] Modern versions of the recipe call for garlic bagel chips. The
> ones I've tried are too garlicky and the flavor gets in the way of the
> main flavors, so I use plain bagel chips.
>
> [3] My mother put Cheerios in her version 50 years ago. I'm not about
> to exclude them in mine! :-)
>
> [4] Use margarine, not butter. Butter gives it a "too buttery" flavor
> that clashes with the other flavors (IMO).
>
> [5] Or whatever seasoned salt floats your boat.
>
> [6] Or more it you like.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Sounds good. The last time I made Chex Mix, I added some hot, crunchy
wasabi peas to it, after it was cooked. It was pretty good. Thanks for
the recipe.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 19 Apr 2008 08:22:15a, Becca told us...

> Silvar Beitel wrote:
>> Who doesn't like this stuff?
>>
>> After playing around with the recipe for years, I've gotten it to
>> where I think it is just right. For me. YMMV, of course.
>>
>> Silvar's Chex Mix
>>
>> 4 cups Corn Chex [1]
>> 4 cups Rice Chex
>> 1 cup bagel chips (plain) [2]
>> 1 cup small pretzels or pretzel sticks
>> 1 cup Cheerios [3]
>> 1 cup salted peanuts
>> 1 cup salted cashews
>>
>> 8 tbsp. margarine [4]
>> 2 tsp. Lawrie's Seasoned Salt or McCormick's SeasonAll [5]
>> 2.5 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce [6]
>> 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
>>
>> Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Melt margarine in a pan. Stir in
>> seasoned salt, Worcestershire and garlic powder.
>>
>> Mix dry ingredients in a really large baking pan. Drizzle margarine
>> mixture over dry ingredients, stirring to coat evenly.
>>
>> Bake in oven 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Turn off
>> oven and leave mix in oven with door ajar until cool. Store in
>> airtight container.
>>
>> Notes:
>>
>> [1] The standard recipe calls for 2 2/3 cup each of Corn, Rice, and
>> Wheat Chex. I don't care much for Wheat Chex, so upped the quantity
>> of Corn and Rice Chex accordingly.
>>
>> [2] Modern versions of the recipe call for garlic bagel chips. The
>> ones I've tried are too garlicky and the flavor gets in the way of the
>> main flavors, so I use plain bagel chips.
>>
>> [3] My mother put Cheerios in her version 50 years ago. I'm not about
>> to exclude them in mine! :-)
>>
>> [4] Use margarine, not butter. Butter gives it a "too buttery" flavor
>> that clashes with the other flavors (IMO).
>>
>> [5] Or whatever seasoned salt floats your boat.
>>
>> [6] Or more it you like.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel

> Sounds good. The last time I made Chex Mix, I added some hot, crunchy
> wasabi peas to it, after it was cooked. It was pretty good. Thanks for
> the recipe.
>
> Becca

That sounds like a great addition, Becca!

For all the years my mother made it, she never used the peanuts and
cashews, but istead used premium mixed nuts (without peanuts) and more of
them. I like that better. I can't eat many cashews, as they make me feel
ill.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 11:28 am, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
> On Sat 19 Apr 2008 08:22:15a, Becca told us...

> > Sounds good. The last time I made Chex Mix, I added some hot, crunchy
> > wasabi peas to it, after it was cooked. It was pretty good. Thanks for
> > the recipe.

> > Becca

> That sounds like a great addition, Becca!

Yes, it does. And it makes me want to try an experiment: Add the
wasabi peas and replace the Worcestershire with soy sauce and a few
drops of sesame oil. Hmmmmm.

I made of batch of "my" recipe, let's see, Wednesday. It will be gone
by the end of today (Saturday)!

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 19 Apr 2008 09:06:08a, kilikini told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> For all the years my mother made it, she never used the peanuts and
>> cashews, but istead used premium mixed nuts (without peanuts) and
>> more of them. I like that better. I can't eat many cashews, as they
>> make me feel ill.

> Oh my gosh, you can't eat cashews either? I can't do peanuts or cashews
> and cashews were always my absolute favorite. Bummer.
>
> kili

Kili, I can't honestly say that I am allergic to cashews, as I have no dire
symptoms, but after just a few I become nauseated. I have no problem with
peanuts, and I love them, but for some reason I don't care for them used in
large quantities in other dishes.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
5wks 1dys 14hrs 30mins
Sha-ZAM sirrah!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 09:03:04 -0700 (PDT), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

>On Apr 19, 11:28 am, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>> On Sat 19 Apr 2008 08:22:15a, Becca told us...

>> > Sounds good. The last time I made Chex Mix, I added some hot, crunchy
>> > wasabi peas to it, after it was cooked. It was pretty good. Thanks for
>> > the recipe.

>> > Becca

>> That sounds like a great addition, Becca!

>Yes, it does. And it makes me want to try an experiment: Add the
>wasabi peas and replace the Worcestershire with soy sauce and a few
>drops of sesame oil. Hmmmmm.
>
>I made of batch of "my" recipe, let's see, Wednesday. It will be gone
>by the end of today (Saturday)!

I like hot and I like crunchy, but wasabi peas leave me cold.... so
I'd just toss in a bag of mixed Japanese rice crackers (I particularly
like the ones with the flecks of seaweed).

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:
> Who doesn't like this stuff?
>
> After playing around with the recipe for years, I've gotten it to
> where I think it is just right. �For me. �YMMV, of course.
>
> Silvar's Chex Mix
>
> 4 � �cups � Corn Chex [1]
> 4 � �cups � Rice Chex
> 1 � �cup � �bagel chips (plain) [2]
> 1 � �cup � �small pretzels or pretzel sticks
> 1 � �cup � �Cheerios [3]
> 1 � �cup � �salted peanuts
> 1 � �cup � �salted cashews
>
> 8 � �tbsp. �margarine [4]
> 2 � �tsp. � �Lawrie's Seasoned Salt or McCormick's SeasonAll [5]
> 2.5 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce [6]
> 1/2 tsp. � garlic powder
>
> Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. �Melt margarine in a pan. �Stir in
> seasoned salt, Worcestershire and garlic powder.
>
> Mix dry ingredients in a really large baking pan. �Drizzle margarine
> mixture over dry ingredients, stirring to coat evenly.
>
> Bake in oven 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. �Turn off
> oven and leave mix in oven with door ajar until cool. �Store in
> airtight container.
>
> Notes:
>
> [1] The standard recipe calls for 2 2/3 cup each of Corn, Rice, and
> Wheat Chex. �I don't care much for Wheat Chex, so upped the quantity
> of Corn and Rice Chex accordingly.

Without the wheat chex why bother, that's about the only nutritious
ingredient... without the wheat chex you prepared total junk food.

> [2] �Modern versions of the recipe call for garlic bagel chips. �The
> ones I've tried are too garlicky and the flavor gets in the way of the
> main flavors, so I use plain bagel chips.

Then why are you adding garlic powder? duh At least use sesame bagel
chips

> [3] My mother put Cheerios in her version 50 years ago. �I'm not about
> to exclude them in mine! :-)

Cherios are the wrong texture, too light and airy... omit! Use
Goldfish instead.

> [4] Use margarine, not butter. �Butter gives it a "too buttery" flavor
> that clashes with the other flavors (IMO).

Margerine has an even stronger butter-like flavor, albeit fake/
medicinal... if you abhor the flavor of butter why use *fake* butter?
duh Use peanut oil flavored with a bit of toasted sesame oil... and
use soy sauce rather than worcestershire sauce

> [5] Or whatever seasoned salt floats your boat.

Hmm... boats... perhaps you're implying sea salt. I suggest using
pure salt, and then using real spices and herbs rather than settle for
the mystery dust inherent with all seasoned salts.

I wouldn't waste cashews on this either.. use toasted sunflower seeds
and toasted garbanzo beans.

Any questions?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> For all the years my mother made it, she never used the peanuts and
>> cashews, but istead used premium mixed nuts (without peanuts) and
>> more of them. I like that better. I can't eat many cashews, as they
>> make me feel ill.

> Oh my gosh, you can't eat cashews either? I can't do peanuts or cashews
> and cashews were always my absolute favorite. Bummer.
>
> kili

OK, I'm off to Shaw's to buy myself two large cans of cashews, one for each
of you. <Somebody> has to keep those cashew growers in business.

Felice
Nuts about cashews

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> For all the years my mother made it, she never used the peanuts and
> cashews, but istead used premium mixed nuts (without peanuts) and more of
> them. �

What a liar... typical AFLAC (queer duck)... always trying to seem
better than normal folk. Your mother did no such thing... no one is
going to mess up $10 worth of premium nuts with $3 worth of crap.
After producing the likes of you your momma used your father's nuts,
and that's why you have none! <G>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:

> Who doesn't like this stuff?
>
> After playing around with the recipe for years, I've gotten it to
> where I think it is just right. For me. YMMV, of course.

An interesting addition/substitution for the cereal part is bite-sized
shredded wheat. I've sometimes made it with just shredded wheat and the
butter, (I don't use margarine anymore) Worchestershire sauce, and
seasonings. That's good too.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" wrote:

> cashews were always my absolute favorite. �
>
> OK, I'm off to Shaw's to buy myself two large cans of cashews,
>
> Felice
> Nuts about cashews

None better: http://www.nutsonthenet.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 19 Apr 2008 10:07:54a, Felice told us...

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> For all the years my mother made it, she never used the peanuts and
>>> cashews, but istead used premium mixed nuts (without peanuts) and
>>> more of them. I like that better. I can't eat many cashews, as they
>>> make me feel ill.

>> Oh my gosh, you can't eat cashews either? I can't do peanuts or
>> cashews and cashews were always my absolute favorite. Bummer.
>>
>> kili

> OK, I'm off to Shaw's to buy myself two large cans of cashews, one for
> each of you. <Somebody> has to keep those cashew growers in business.
>
> Felice
> Nuts about cashews

Enjoy, Felice. I wish I could. :-(

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
5wks 1dys 13hrs 15mins
I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Silvar Beitel wrote:
>> Who doesn't like this stuff?
>>
>> After playing around with the recipe for years, I've gotten it to where
>> I think it is just right. For me. YMMV, of course.
>>
>> Silvar's Chex Mix
>>
>> 4 cups Corn Chex [1]
>> 4 cups Rice Chex
>> 1 cup bagel chips (plain) [2]
>> 1 cup small pretzels or pretzel sticks 1 cup Cheerios [3]
>> 1 cup salted peanuts
>> 1 cup salted cashews
>>
>> 8 tbsp. margarine [4]
>> 2 tsp. Lawrie's Seasoned Salt or McCormick's SeasonAll [5] 2.5
>> tbsp. Worcestershire sauce [6]
>> 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
>>
>> Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Melt margarine in a pan. Stir in
>> seasoned salt, Worcestershire and garlic powder.
>>
>> Mix dry ingredients in a really large baking pan. Drizzle margarine
>> mixture over dry ingredients, stirring to coat evenly.
>>
>> Bake in oven 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Turn off
>> oven and leave mix in oven with door ajar until cool. Store in airtight
>> container.
>>
>> Notes:
>>
>> [1] The standard recipe calls for 2 2/3 cup each of Corn, Rice, and
>> Wheat Chex. I don't care much for Wheat Chex, so upped the quantity of
>> Corn and Rice Chex accordingly.
>>
>> [2] Modern versions of the recipe call for garlic bagel chips. The
>> ones I've tried are too garlicky and the flavor gets in the way of the
>> main flavors, so I use plain bagel chips.
>>
>> [3] My mother put Cheerios in her version 50 years ago. I'm not about
>> to exclude them in mine! :-)
>>
>> [4] Use margarine, not butter. Butter gives it a "too buttery" flavor
>> that clashes with the other flavors (IMO).
>>
>> [5] Or whatever seasoned salt floats your boat.
>>
>> [6] Or more it you like.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel

> Sounds good. The last time I made Chex Mix, I added some hot, crunchy
> wasabi peas to it, after it was cooked. It was pretty good. Thanks for
> the recipe.

I once tried using Life cereal in place of one of the other types.
Delicious! A hint of sweet along with all of the other flavors. It
became part of the recipe.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Kili, I can't honestly say that I am allergic to cashews, as I have no dire
> symptoms, but after just a few I become nauseated. I have no problem with
> peanuts, and I love them, but for some reason I don't care for them used in
> large quantities in other dishes.

Cashews seem a bit oilier to me than many other roasted nuts. I wonder
if that doesn't sit well with you?
I don't eat a lot of nuts but my husband goes through them like crazy.
He takes walnuts, cashews or unsalted peanuts to work with him daily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:

> OK, I'm off to Shaw's to buy myself two large cans of cashews, one for each
> of you. <Somebody> has to keep those cashew growers in business.
>
> Felice
> Nuts about cashews

I love unsalted cashews, especially in Chinese dishes. I just never eat
a lot of nuts by themselves for some reason?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:

> An interesting addition/substitution for the cereal part is bite-sized
> shredded wheat. I've sometimes made it with just shredded wheat and the
> butter, (I don't use margarine anymore) Worchestershire sauce, and
> seasonings. That's good too.

> Brian

My kids used to make this concoction called "Puppy Chow" which had Chex
cereal with melted chocolate and powdered sugar on them (perhaps other
things too, I forget?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 12:57 pm, Sheldon > wrote:

> Without the wheat chex why bother, that's about the only nutritious
> ingredient... without the wheat chex you prepared total junk food.

Chex Mix of any stripe is junk food, is it not?

> > [2] �Modern versions of the recipe call for garlic bagel chips. �The
> > ones I've tried are too garlicky and the flavor gets in the way of the
> > main flavors, so I use plain bagel chips.

> Then why are you adding garlic powder? duh At least use sesame bagel
> chips

If you use garlic bagel chips, the garlic flavor is concentrated in
the chips, as opposed to having a light garlic background in
everything due to the (minimal) garlic powder. That concentrated
garlic flavor clashes with the other flavors. IMO.

> > [3] My mother put Cheerios in her version 50 years ago. �I'm not about
> > to exclude them in mine! :-)

> Cherios are the wrong texture, too light and airy... omit! Use
> Goldfish instead.

The lightness of the Cheerios complements the other, harder components
IMO. I'm thinking about adding more Cheerios, not less, next time.

Goldfish have their own rather strong flavor (due to whatever mystery
dust they use, see comment below, and depending on which variety of
Goldfish you're talking about). I want mostly neutral components, all
of which soak up the seasoned salt / Worcestershire flavor.

> > [4] Use margarine, not butter. �Butter gives it a "too buttery" flavor
> > that clashes with the other flavors (IMO).

> Margerine has an even stronger butter-like flavor, albeit fake/
> medicinal... if you abhor the flavor of butter why use *fake* butter?
> duh Use peanut oil flavored with a bit of toasted sesame oil... and
> use soy sauce rather than worcestershire sauce

I typically use Fleischmann's margarine and find that it is less
strongly flavored than butter and certainly not "medicinal." I don't
"abhor" the taste of butter. In fact, I love it. Just not in Chex
Mix.

A soy sauce / sesame oil "dressing" might be good, too, especially
with the wasabi peas Becca mentioned. I plan to try something along
this line in the future.

> > [5] Or whatever seasoned salt floats your boat.

> Hmm... boats... perhaps you're implying sea salt. I suggest using
> pure salt, and then using real spices and herbs rather than settle for
> the mystery dust inherent with all seasoned salts.

Seasoned salts are a convenience and their ingredients are listed on
the bottle, leaving no mystery. Many of the more popular ones have
been popular for decades for a reason: they have found a nice
combination of herbs and spices and salt that people like. By all
means use plain salt (sea or otherwise) and "real spices and herbs" to
your hearts content. In fact, if you have some nifty combination up
your sleeve, I'd like to hear about it.

> I wouldn't waste cashews on this either.. use toasted sunflower seeds
> and toasted garbanzo beans.

Cashews are not wasted in this, as far as I'm concerned! I love
cashews. Feel free to use any other nuts you like. I used my
favorites.

> Any questions?

Just polite answers.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 2:14 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Default User wrote:
> > An interesting addition/substitution for the cereal part is bite-sized
> > shredded wheat. I've sometimes made it with just shredded wheat and the
> > butter, (I don't use margarine anymore) Worchestershire sauce, and
> > seasonings. That's good too.
> > Brian

> My kids used to make this concoction called "Puppy Chow" which had Chex
> cereal with melted chocolate and powdered sugar on them (perhaps other
> things too, I forget?)

"Muddy Buddies"

On the back of practically every box of Chex I've ever seen.

(Watch: Now someone will chime in with, "It's not on the box *I*
have!" :-) )

If you like, I'll post the recipe.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 19 Apr 2008 11:11:07a, Goomba38 told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Kili, I can't honestly say that I am allergic to cashews, as I have no
>> dire symptoms, but after just a few I become nauseated. I have no
>> problem with peanuts, and I love them, but for some reason I don't care
>> for them used in large quantities in other dishes.
>>

> Cashews seem a bit oilier to me than many other roasted nuts. I wonder
> if that doesn't sit well with you?
> I don't eat a lot of nuts but my husband goes through them like crazy.
> He takes walnuts, cashews or unsalted peanuts to work with him daily.

I think that might be part of it, although I have no problem with Brazil
nuts, which are also rather oily.

My favorites are pecans, walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts. I like peanuts,
but they would not be my first choice.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
5wks 1dys 12hrs 30mins
People are more than fun than anybody.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:36:01 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>My favorites are pecans, walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts. I like peanuts,
>but they would not be my first choice.

How are you with pistachios?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I think that might be part of it, although I have no problem with Brazil
> nuts, which are also rather oily.
>
> My favorites are pecans, walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts. I like peanuts,
> but they would not be my first choice.

Oy, you wanna talk oily! Years ago my mother in law would send us one of
those 2 pound cans of shelled macadamias each year at Christmas.

<sigh> I'm still wearing some of them on my ass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:

> On Apr 19, 12:57 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
>
> > Without the wheat chex why bother, that's about the only nutritious
> > ingredient... without the wheat chex you prepared total junk food.

> Chex Mix of any stripe is junk food, is it not?

And all of Sheldumb's posts are junk.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 19 Apr 2008 11:43:15a, sf told us...

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:36:01 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>My favorites are pecans, walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts. I like peanuts,
>>but they would not be my first choice.

> How are you with pistachios?

Just fine. I could eat them by the pound, and have been known to do so. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
5wks 1dys 12hrs
I know it all. I just can't remember
it all at once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 19 Apr 2008 11:53:16a, Goomba38 told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I think that might be part of it, although I have no problem with
>> Brazil nuts, which are also rather oily.
>>
>> My favorites are pecans, walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts. I like
>> peanuts, but they would not be my first choice.
>>

> Oy, you wanna talk oily! Years ago my mother in law would send us one of
> those 2 pound cans of shelled macadamias each year at Christmas.
>
> <sigh> I'm still wearing some of them on my ass.

Maybe I am allergic in some way to cashews, even though they only cause
nausea. I also have no problem with macadamias, and I love them. Cashews
seem to be the only culprit.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
5wks 1dys 12hrs
I know it all. I just can't remember
it all at once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > Kili, I can't honestly say that I am allergic to cashews, as
> > I have no dire symptoms, but after just a few I become nauseated.
> > I have no problem with peanuts, and I love them, but for some reason
> > I don't care for them used in large quantities in other dishes.
> >

> Cashews seem a bit oilier to me than many other roasted nuts.
> I wonder if that doesn't sit well with you?

It's probably the cashew toxin, urushiol, not the oil content.

Quoting from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew

The urushiol must be removed from the dark green nut shells
before the seed inside is processed for consumption; this is
done by shelling the nuts, a somewhat hazardous process, and
exceedingly painful skin rashes (similar to poison-ivy rashes)
among processing workers are common. In India urushiol is
traditionally used to control tamed elephants by their mahouts
(riders or keepers). The so-called "raw cashews" available in
health food shops have been cooked but not roasted or browned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:
> OK, I'm off to Shaw's to buy myself two large cans of cashews, one
> for each of you. <Somebody> has to keep those cashew growers in
> business.

Cashews are a favourite of mine Felice and I eat them regularly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 19 Apr 2008 12:21:53p, Mark Thorson told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Maybe I am allergic in some way to cashews, even though they
>> only cause nausea. I also have no problem with macadamias, and I love
>> them. Cashews seem to be the only culprit.

> How about mangos? They also contain urushiol.

I'm fine with mangos. Cashews seem to be the only problem, and I really do
like a wide variety of foods and can eat them with no problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
5wks 1dys 11hrs 40mins
The human's food is meant to be shared
with the cat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Maybe I am allergic in some way to cashews, even though they
> only cause nausea. I also have no problem with macadamias,
> and I love them. Cashews seem to be the only culprit.

How about mangos? They also contain urushiol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 19 Apr 2008 12:18:55p, kilikini told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Oh my gosh, you can't eat cashews either? I can't do peanuts or
>>> cashews and cashews were always my absolute favorite. Bummer.
>>>
>>> kili

>> Kili, I can't honestly say that I am allergic to cashews, as I have
>> no dire symptoms, but after just a few I become nauseated. I have no
>> problem with peanuts, and I love them, but for some reason I don't
>> care for them used in large quantities in other dishes.

> I get nauseated, too, isn't that weird? I feel full up to my throat

after
> eating just a couple.
>
> kili

I can eat a handful, but by the time I'v eaten them I feel like I'm going
to throw up. Not pleasant at all. When I order "cashew chicken" in a
Chinese restaurant, I always ask them to substitute almonds.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
5wks 1dys 11hrs 40mins
The human's food is meant to be shared
with the cat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Felice wrote:
>> OK, I'm off to Shaw's to buy myself two large cans of cashews, one
>> for each of you. <Somebody> has to keep those cashew growers in
>> business.

> Cashews are a favourite of mine Felice and I eat them regularly

And when you come to visit, we'll divide the can carefully, nut by nut. If
there's an odd number, you (as guest) get the extra.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> For all the years my mother made it, she never used the peanuts and
>> cashews, but istead used premium mixed nuts (without peanuts) and
>> more of them. �

> What a liar... typical AFLAC (queer duck)... always trying to seem
> better than normal folk. Your mother did no such thing... no one is
> going to mess up $10 worth of premium nuts with $3 worth of crap.

Sheldon, some people pay $100 for a miniscule amount of artfully arranged
food on a plate. Why not throw $10 worth of premium nuts into Chex mix?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Apr 2008 07:14:19a, jmcquown told us...

> Sheldon wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> For all the years my mother made it, she never used the peanuts and
>>> cashews, but istead used premium mixed nuts (without peanuts) and
>>> more of them. �

>> What a liar... typical AFLAC (queer duck)... always trying to seem
>> better than normal folk. Your mother did no such thing... no one is
>> going to mess up $10 worth of premium nuts with $3 worth of crap.
>>

> Sheldon, some people pay $100 for a miniscule amount of artfully arranged
> food on a plate. Why not throw $10 worth of premium nuts into Chex mix?
>
> Jill

His lifeform is probably not even carbon-based, much less possesses any
genuine intelligence. Tribbles come to mind, except they were nicer.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:14:19 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> For all the years my mother made it, she never used the peanuts and
>>> cashews, but istead used premium mixed nuts (without peanuts) and
>>> more of them. ?

>> What a liar... typical AFLAC (queer duck)... always trying to seem
>> better than normal folk. Your mother did no such thing... no one is
>> going to mess up $10 worth of premium nuts with $3 worth of crap.
>>

>Sheldon, some people pay $100 for a miniscule amount of artfully arranged
>food on a plate. Why not throw $10 worth of premium nuts into Chex mix?
>
>Jill

maybe they like it better that way, those wild and crazy people.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:14:19 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>Sheldon wrote:

>>> What a liar... typical AFLAC (queer duck)... always trying to seem
>>> better than normal folk. Your mother did no such thing... no one is
>>> going to mess up $10 worth of premium nuts with $3 worth of crap.
>>>

>>Sheldon, some people pay $100 for a miniscule amount of artfully arranged
>>food on a plate. Why not throw $10 worth of premium nuts into Chex mix?
>>
>>Jill

> maybe they like it better that way, those wild and crazy people.
>
> your pal,
> blake

It's pretty obvious Sheldon has never made Chex mix or he would know the
three boxes of cereal are going to cost close to $10. Plus pretzels and
bagel chips.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Apr 2008 09:25:12a, blake murphy told us...

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:14:19 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>Sheldon wrote:

>>> What a liar... typical AFLAC (queer duck)... always trying to seem
>>> better than normal folk. Your mother did no such thing... no one is
>>> going to mess up $10 worth of premium nuts with $3 worth of crap.
>>>

>>Sheldon, some people pay $100 for a miniscule amount of artfully arranged
>>food on a plate. Why not throw $10 worth of premium nuts into Chex mix?
>>
>>Jill

> maybe they like it better that way, those wild and crazy people.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Exactly so.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Earth Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 5dys 13hrs 55mins
Remember that you are unique. Just
like everyone else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Apr 2008 10:09:17a, Ms P told us...

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:14:19 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

more

>>>Sheldon, some people pay $100 for a miniscule amount of artfully

arranged
>>>food on a plate. Why not throw $10 worth of premium nuts into Chex mix?
>>>
>>>Jill

>> maybe they like it better that way, those wild and crazy people.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> It's pretty obvious Sheldon has never made Chex mix or he would know the
> three boxes of cereal are going to cost close to $10. Plus pretzels and
> bagel chips.
>
> Ms P

Right you are. Making a batchof Chex mix is not a cheap venture today.
Fifty years ago when it was introduced, maybe, but not today.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Earth Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 5dys 13hrs 40mins
Which of my enemies told you I was
paranoid?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Apr 2008 10:23:13a, Wayne Boatwright told us...

> On Tue 22 Apr 2008 10:09:17a, Ms P told us...
>

>> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> maybe they like it better that way, those wild and crazy people.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> It's pretty obvious Sheldon has never made Chex mix or he would know the
>> three boxes of cereal are going to cost close to $10. Plus pretzels and
>> bagel chips.
>>
>> Ms P
>>

> Right you are. Making a batchof Chex mix is not a cheap venture today.
> Fifty years ago when it was introduced, maybe, but not today.

Usually at the same time my mom made Chex mix, she would also make oven-
roasted, salted pecans. Again, not tht expensive fifty years ago, but not
at all cheap today. Things like that to nibble on were common in our
family, especially around the holidays.

Roasted Salted Pecans

5 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons salt (adjust for personal taste)
2 pounds (about 5 cups) pecan halves

Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 250F.

Melt butter and add salt, mixing together. Pour over pecans, tossing to
coat well. Pour pecans evenly onto a rimmed baking sheet.

Bake about 60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted and
barely colored.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)