Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pot roast for dinner.

Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
might eat some. Grave sweetened with sweet rice flour. Roasted Yukon Gold
potatoes, multicolored carrots and fennel. Each roasted separately. TJs had
fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
>might eat some.

More than one dog now?

>TJs had
>fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
>to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 22:49:44 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>>Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
>>might eat some.

>More than one dog now?
>
>>TJs had
>>fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
>>to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

>You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.

Don't they add weight?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:49:41 PM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
> >might eat some.

> More than one dog now?

Chihuahua

> >TJs had
> >fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
> >to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.
>
> Doris

Here they are sold loose and the price is by the bulb and not by the pound.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the
>>dogs
>>might eat some.

> More than one dog now?
>
>>TJs had
>>fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not
>>have
>>to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.

It's sold by the pound and usually there are more fronds than bulb. Not
unusual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 22:49:44 -0400, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>>
>>>Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the
>>>dogs
>>>might eat some.

>>More than one dog now?
>>
>>>TJs had
>>>fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not
>>>have
>>>to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

>>You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.

> Don't they add weight?

Of course they do. Maybe Canadian fronds don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:49:41 PM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the
>> >dogs
>> >might eat some.

>> More than one dog now?
>>

> Chihuahua

Half that yes. Two adults, four puppie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:49:41 PM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> More than one dog now?
> >>

> > Chihuahua

> Half that yes. Two adults, four puppie.

Who's next? The gardener's grandparents?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message

>> > Chihuahua

>> Half that yes. Two adults, four puppie.

> Who's next? The gardener's grandparents?

That should say "puppies".

Grandparents are in other states. The ones that are still alive that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 20:13:34 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:49:41 PM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
>> >might eat some.

>> More than one dog now?
>>

>Chihuahua
>>
>> >TJs had
>> >fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
>> >to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

>> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.
>>
>> Doris
>>

>Here they are sold loose and the price is by the bulb and not by the pound.

Same here.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2019 10:49 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
>> might eat some.

> More than one dog now?
>
>> TJs had
>> fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
>> to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.
>
> Doris

I think the keywords are "clam pack". Trimmed fennel bulbs,
prepackaged. She likely didn't look for unfettered fennel with fronds.
Certainly wouldn't consider the fronds would help in seasoning the gravy
for the pot roast she's serving with roasted fennel. Hmmm.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2019 4:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as
>>> the dogs
>>> might eat some.

>> More than one dog now?
>>
>>> TJs had
>>> fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did
>>> not have
>>> to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

>> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.

> It's sold by the pound and usually there are more fronds than bulb. Not
> unusual.

You have to take weather and crop conditions into consideration when
you're shopping. Fennel is a winter crop. Most of the fennel in the US
is grown in SoCal and Arizona. It's just now coming to market. What
you see puny right now with the fronds is likely last years crop.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/11/2019 10:49 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the
>>> dogs
>>> might eat some.

>> More than one dog now?
>>
>>> TJs had
>>> fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not
>>> have
>>> to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

>> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.
>>
>> Doris
>>

> I think the keywords are "clam pack". Trimmed fennel bulbs, prepackaged.
> She likely didn't look for unfettered fennel with fronds. Certainly
> wouldn't consider the fronds would help in seasoning the gravy for the pot
> roast she's serving with roasted fennel. Hmmm.

The fennel was served on the side. Fennel is not a flavor I would want in my
beef gravy.