FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pot roast for dinner. (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/446131-pot-roast-dinner.html)

Julie Bove[_2_] 12-03-2019 02:30 AM

Pot roast for dinner.

Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
might eat some. Grave sweetened with sweet rice flour. Roasted Yukon Gold
potatoes, multicolored carrots and fennel. Each roasted separately. TJs had
fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

Doris Night[_3_] 12-03-2019 02:49 AM

Pot roast for dinner.

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
>might eat some.

More than one dog now?

>TJs had
>fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
>to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.

Doris

Bruce[_28_] 12-03-2019 03:09 AM

Pot roast for dinner.

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 22:49:44 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>>Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
>>might eat some.

>More than one dog now?
>
>>TJs had
>>fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
>>to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

>You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.

Don't they add weight?

[email protected][_2_] 12-03-2019 03:13 AM

Pot roast for dinner.

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:49:41 PM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
> >might eat some.

> More than one dog now?

Chihuahua

> >TJs had
> >fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
> >to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.
>
> Doris

Here they are sold loose and the price is by the bulb and not by the pound.

Julie Bove[_2_] 12-03-2019 08:14 AM

Pot roast for dinner.

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the
>>dogs
>>might eat some.

> More than one dog now?
>
>>TJs had
>>fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not
>>have
>>to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.

It's sold by the pound and usually there are more fronds than bulb. Not
unusual.

Julie Bove[_2_] 12-03-2019 08:14 AM

Pot roast for dinner.

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 22:49:44 -0400, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>>
>>>Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the
>>>dogs
>>>might eat some.

>>More than one dog now?
>>
>>>TJs had
>>>fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not
>>>have
>>>to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

>>You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.

> Don't they add weight?

Of course they do. Maybe Canadian fronds don't.

Julie Bove[_2_] 12-03-2019 08:15 AM

Pot roast for dinner.

> wrote in message
> On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:49:41 PM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the
>> >dogs
>> >might eat some.

>> More than one dog now?
>>

> Chihuahua

Half that yes. Two adults, four puppie.

Gary 12-03-2019 09:45 AM

Pot roast for dinner.

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:49:41 PM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> More than one dog now?
> >>

> > Chihuahua

> Half that yes. Two adults, four puppie.

Who's next? The gardener's grandparents?

Julie Bove[_2_] 12-03-2019 09:57 AM

Pot roast for dinner.

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message

>> > Chihuahua

>> Half that yes. Two adults, four puppie.

> Who's next? The gardener's grandparents?

That should say "puppies".

Grandparents are in other states. The ones that are still alive that.

Doris Night[_3_] 12-03-2019 01:55 PM

Pot roast for dinner.

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 20:13:34 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:49:41 PM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
>> >might eat some.

>> More than one dog now?
>>

>Chihuahua
>>
>> >TJs had
>> >fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
>> >to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

>> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.
>>
>> Doris
>>

>Here they are sold loose and the price is by the bulb and not by the pound.

Same here.

Doris

jmcquown[_2_] 12-03-2019 04:00 PM

Pot roast for dinner.

On 3/11/2019 10:49 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
>> might eat some.

> More than one dog now?
>
>> TJs had
>> fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
>> to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.
>
> Doris

I think the keywords are "clam pack". Trimmed fennel bulbs,
prepackaged. She likely didn't look for unfettered fennel with fronds.
Certainly wouldn't consider the fronds would help in seasoning the gravy
for the pot roast she's serving with roasted fennel. Hmmm.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 12-03-2019 04:08 PM

Pot roast for dinner.

On 3/11/2019 11:13 PM, wrote:
> On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:49:41 PM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the dogs
>>> might eat some.

>> More than one dog now?
>>

> Chihuahua
>>
>>> TJs had
>>> fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not have
>>> to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

>> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.
>>
>> Doris
>>

> Here they are sold loose and the price is by the bulb and not by the pound.

Exactly. It's not bulbs trimmed and sold in a "clam pack". I have
never seen fennel sold that way. I'd guess it's in the convenience area
in the produce section. Alongside the bagged salad greens and
pre-chopped vegetables. Sorry, I don't look for those things. If I
want fennel I'll look for the loose bulbs and certainly take it with the
fronds. I think I can buy them by the each. I haven't checked the price.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 12-03-2019 04:40 PM

Pot roast for dinner.

On 3/12/2019 4:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as
>>> the dogs
>>> might eat some.

>> More than one dog now?
>>
>>> TJs had
>>> fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did
>>> not have
>>> to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

>> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.

> It's sold by the pound and usually there are more fronds than bulb. Not
> unusual.

You have to take weather and crop conditions into consideration when
you're shopping. Fennel is a winter crop. Most of the fennel in the US
is grown in SoCal and Arizona. It's just now coming to market. What
you see puny right now with the fronds is likely last years crop.

Jill

Julie Bove[_2_] 12-03-2019 10:01 PM

Pot roast for dinner.

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/11/2019 10:49 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:30:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Made and seasoned simply with salt pepper and parsley. No onion as the
>>> dogs
>>> might eat some.

>> More than one dog now?
>>
>>> TJs had
>>> fennel that was almost all bulb. Two huge ones in a clam pack. Did not
>>> have
>>> to pay for all those fronds when we won't eat them.

>> You have to pay extra for fennel fronds where you are? That's strange.
>>
>> Doris
>>

> I think the keywords are "clam pack". Trimmed fennel bulbs, prepackaged.
> She likely didn't look for unfettered fennel with fronds. Certainly
> wouldn't consider the fronds would help in seasoning the gravy for the pot
> roast she's serving with roasted fennel. Hmmm.

The fennel was served on the side. Fennel is not a flavor I would want in my
beef gravy.