Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Minced garlic

My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove, pounding
on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to do
that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.

If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.

I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I would
then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I would
manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next one
was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I tossed
them.

For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic that
I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real deal.
Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of minced.

Help! How do you mince the stuff!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-04 6:40 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:
> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove,
> pounding on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When
> I try to do that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>
> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>
> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that
> it would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I
> would then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed
> garlic. I would manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the
> press. The next one was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky
> aroma of garlic. I tossed them.
>
> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic
> that I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the
> real deal. Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small
> jar of minced.
>
> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

LOL I won't bother suggesting anything. You will just come back with
the reasons they won't work for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2019 5:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've
> seen chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the
> clove, pounding on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing
> it. When I try to do that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>
> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>
> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that
> it would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end.
> I would then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed
> garlic. I would manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the
> press. The next one was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky
> aroma of garlic. I tossed them.
>
> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted
> garlic that I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to
> use the real deal. Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I
> bought a small jar of minced.
>
> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

*I lay the knife over the clove before I peel the last layer of skin ,
keeps it from skating away . Smash it pretty hard , then just skin it
and chop it fine .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-04 6:27 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-04 6:40 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've
>> seen chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the
>> clove, pounding on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing
>> it. When I try to do that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>>
>> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>>
>> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that
>> it would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end.
>> I would then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed
>> garlic. I would manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the
>> press. The next one was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky
>> aroma of garlic. I tossed them.
>>
>> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted
>> garlic that I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to
>> use the real deal. Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I
>> bought a small jar of minced.
>>
>> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

Why bother? Just go to McDonald's and stop bothering with trying to cook!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 2019-03-04 6:27 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2019-03-04 6:40 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
>>> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove,
>>> pounding on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When
>>> I try to do that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>>>
>>> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>>>
>>> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that
>>> it would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I
>>> would then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed
>>> garlic. I would manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the
>>> press. The next one was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky
>>> aroma of garlic. I tossed them.
>>>
>>> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic
>>> that I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the
>>> real deal. Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small
>>> jar of minced.
>>>
>>> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

> Why bother? Just go to McDonald's and stop bothering with trying to cook!

Yuck! I don't eat that stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
> On 3/4/2019 5:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
>> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove,
>> pounding on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I
>> try to do that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>>
>> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>>
>> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
>> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I
>> would then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed
>> garlic. I would manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the
>> press. The next one was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky
>> aroma of garlic. I tossed them.
>>
>> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic
>> that I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the
>> real deal. Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small
>> jar of minced.
>>
>> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

> I lay the knife over the clove before I peel the last layer of skin ,
> keeps it from skating away . Smash it pretty hard , then just skin it and
> chop it fine .

Ohhh... I was picking all the skin off first! Will try that. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:
> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove, pounding
> on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to do
> that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>
> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>
> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I would
> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I would
> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next one
> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I tossed
> them.
>
> For some time, I used either garlic or some dried roasted garlic that
> I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real deal.
> Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of minced.
>
> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

Im not sure you need to €śpound€ť on the knife. I just rest the heel of my
hand on the blade and press down to smash. Ive never had a single clove
zing away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-04 10:07 p.m., Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:

>> Help! How do you mince the stuff!
>>

> Im not sure you need to €śpound€ť on the knife. I just rest the heel of my
> hand on the blade and press down to smash. Ive never had a single clove
> zing away.

You aren't close enough to Bothell to be affected by whatever weird mojo
goes on there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 5:40:33 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove, pounding
> on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to do
> that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>
> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>
> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I would
> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I would
> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next one
> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I tossed
> them.
>
> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic that
> I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real deal.
> Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of minced.
>
> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

My sister years ago gave me a garlic press like the one she has from the Pampered Chef and it ROCKS!!

The stuff in the jars I've found is OK (better than no garlic!) but fresh is always best!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 7:28:00 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-03-04 6:40 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > Help! How do you mince the stuff!

> LOL I won't bother suggesting anything. You will just come back with
> the reasons they won't work for you.

Hahahahaaaaaa, same here. Next year she'll deny she ever posed a question
about garlic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Julie Bove
> wrote:

> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I would
> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I would
> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next one
> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I tossed
> them.

I've been using the same garlic press for thirty years. I inherited it:

(1) you smoosh a clove just a little and peel the fine skin off.
(2) trim off the hard end if you want to (optional)
(3) put garlic in the press and squeeze the handle to flattish
(4) use the edge of a butterknife to scrape the flat face of the press
(5) make sure the scrapings fall into where you want them
(6) scrape the inside of the press and add that into the mix
(7) add another skinned clove of garlic to the press
(8) repeat steps (1) through (7) until satisfied
(9) rinse the press using the knife edge to scrape bits and pieces off
(10) run hot water through the press until all the holes are clear
(11) store the press away

Damn! that seems like a lot of work, stepwise.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
>> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove,
>> pounding
>> on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to
>> do
>> that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>>
>> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>>
>> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
>> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I
>> would
>> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I
>> would
>> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next
>> one
>> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I
>> tossed
>> them.
>>
>> For some time, I used either garlic or some dried roasted garlic that
>> I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real
>> deal.
>> Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of
>> minced.
>>
>> Help! How do you mince the stuff!
>>

> Im not sure you need to €śpound€ť on the knife. I just rest the heel of my
> hand on the blade and press down to smash. Ive never had a single clove
> zing away.

Do you leave the skin on?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
>chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove, pounding
>on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to do
>that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>
>If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>
>I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
>would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I would
>then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I would
>manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next one
>was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I tossed
>them.
>
>For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic that
>I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real deal.
>Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of minced.
>
>Help! How do you mince the stuff!

against my better judgement...

the end of the clove where you pulled it off from the head, slice that
off, just a bit, don't be wasteful!

then slice through the clove lengthwise, whichever way makes more or
less symmetrical halves

place a half clove sliced-end down - if the skin hadn't come off from
the first two steps, when you now crush it (please - do not pound, this
isn't meat) the skin should come off easily

then mince away

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> "Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
>>> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove,
>>> pounding
>>> on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to
>>> do
>>> that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>>>
>>> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>>>
>>> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
>>> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I
>>> would
>>> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I
>>> would
>>> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next
>>> one
>>> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I
>>> tossed
>>> them.
>>>
>>> For some time, I used either garlic or some dried roasted garlic that
>>> I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real
>>> deal.
>>> Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of
>>> minced.
>>>
>>> Help! How do you mince the stuff!
>>>

>> Im not sure you need to €śpound€ť on the knife. I just rest the heel of my
>> hand on the blade and press down to smash. Ive never had a single clove
>> zing away.

> Do you leave the skin on?

I do not! I always trim the ends off and peel first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >, Julie Bove
> > wrote:
>
>> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
>> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I
>> would
>> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I
>> would
>> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next
>> one
>> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I
>> tossed
>> them.

> I've been using the same garlic press for thirty years. I inherited it:
>
> (1) you smoosh a clove just a little and peel the fine skin off.
> (2) trim off the hard end if you want to (optional)
> (3) put garlic in the press and squeeze the handle to flattish
> (4) use the edge of a butterknife to scrape the flat face of the press
> (5) make sure the scrapings fall into where you want them
> (6) scrape the inside of the press and add that into the mix
> (7) add another skinned clove of garlic to the press
> (8) repeat steps (1) through (7) until satisfied
> (9) rinse the press using the knife edge to scrape bits and pieces off
> (10) run hot water through the press until all the holes are clear
> (11) store the press away
>
> Damn! that seems like a lot of work, stepwise.
>
> leo

That's why I got rid of mine. Plus I could never get all of the garlic off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> Im not sure you need to €śpound€ť on the knife. I just rest the heel of
>>> my
>>> hand on the blade and press down to smash. Ive never had a single clove
>>> zing away.

>> Do you leave the skin on?
>>

> I do not! I always trim the ends off and peel first.

Hmmm... Maybe your knife is heavier than mine!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> writes:
>>My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
>>chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove,
>>pounding
>>on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to do
>>that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>>
>>If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>>
>>I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
>>would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I would
>>then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I
>>would
>>manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next one
>>was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I
>>tossed
>>them.
>>
>>For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic
>>that
>>I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real
>>deal.
>>Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of
>>minced.
>>
>>Help! How do you mince the stuff!

> against my better judgement...
>
> the end of the clove where you pulled it off from the head, slice that
> off, just a bit, don't be wasteful!
>
> then slice through the clove lengthwise, whichever way makes more or
> less symmetrical halves
>
> place a half clove sliced-end down - if the skin hadn't come off from
> the first two steps, when you now crush it (please - do not pound, this
> isn't meat) the skin should come off easily
>
> then mince away

Thanks! If I'm doing a lot, I use Martha Stewart's method to remove the
skins. Put in a metal bowl. Top with a metal bowl of the same size and
shake. You have to hold the bowls close together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

[...]

==

D. doesn't like fresh garlic so I use garlic paste which I like and he never
complains)

https://suryafoodsonline.com/south-a...aste-315-20177

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 1:40:33 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove, pounding
> on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to do
> that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>
> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>
> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I would
> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I would
> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next one
> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I tossed
> them.
>
> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic that
> I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real deal.
> Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of minced.
>
> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

I mostly use the bottle stuff - it saves me a lot of time because I use a lot of garlic when cooking. It's great! If I was making kim chee though, I'd probably use the fresh stuff. It's the smart thing to do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Terry Coombs" wrote:
> > I lay the knife over the clove before I peel the last layer of skin ,
> > keeps it from skating away . Smash it pretty hard , then just skin it and
> > chop it fine .

> Ohhh... I was picking all the skin off first! Will try that. Thanks!

Leave ALL the skin on, not just the last layer.
Once you smash the clove, all skin just pulls off easily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx the Minx wrote:

Julie asked:
> > Do you leave the skin on?
> >

> I do not! I always trim the ends off and peel first.

That's a waste of time.
Next time, do just one clove with no trimming or peeling.
Just pull it off the bulb and smash it.
See what you think. HTH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 1:40:33 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
>> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove,
>> pounding
>> on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to
>> do
>> that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>>
>> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>>
>> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
>> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I
>> would
>> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I
>> would
>> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next
>> one
>> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I
>> tossed
>> them.
>>
>> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic
>> that
>> I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real
>> deal.
>> Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of
>> minced.
>>
>> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

> I mostly use the bottle stuff - it saves me a lot of time because I use a
> lot of garlic when cooking. It's great! If I was making kim chee though,
> I'd probably use the fresh stuff. It's the smart thing to do.

---

I made Pad Thai.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Terry Coombs" wrote:
>> > I lay the knife over the clove before I peel the last layer of skin ,
>> > keeps it from skating away . Smash it pretty hard , then just skin it
>> > and
>> > chop it fine .

>> Ohhh... I was picking all the skin off first! Will try that. Thanks!

> Leave ALL the skin on, not just the last layer.
> Once you smash the clove, all skin just pulls off easily.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 6:40:33 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove, pounding
> on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to do
> that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>
> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>
> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I would
> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I would
> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next one
> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I tossed
> them.
>
> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic that
> I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real deal.
> Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of minced.
>
> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

And I thought I was the world's biggest klutz.

You must have access to much better garlic than I do.
About half the year I must cut the garlic in half and remove the sprout.
I'm starting to have to do that even with the garlic I grew last summer.

Once the garlic is cut in half, lay it on the flat side and smash it
with your knife.

If you don't have to cut it in half, GENTLY press on the knife until
the clove is somewhat flattened, then give it a good whack with your
fist.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 6:40:33 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove, pounding
> on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to do
> that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>
> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>
> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I would
> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I would
> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next one
> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I tossed
> them.
>
> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic that
> I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real deal.
> Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of minced.
>
> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

i do what they do on tv. i take off the root end of the clove, then smash it. the skin comes off easier than if it wasn't smashed. if i smashed correctly then i just cut it one way and it will be finely minced. you need rudimentary knife skills. i use a cheap paring knife. i angle out the knife and make sure the backs of my fingers touch the blade. then i move the hand back as i slice with the other hand. it takes a certain 'feel'. also, sometimes when smashing a piece will fly around. i never use garlic powder.. it's a good ingredient, but i cook with health in mind and fresh garlic is better for me/you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

i use a meat grinder when i have enough peeled for
it to be worth it (just a few weeks ago i did this
with the left-over garlic that was sprouting from
last year's harvest) and then i drench it with
lemon juice and pack it in amounts that i will use
for cooking (in 4oz small jars) and put it in the
freezer. it will keep like this for several years
or until we use it.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Terry Coombs" wrote:
>> > I lay the knife over the clove before I peel the last layer of skin ,
>> > keeps it from skating away . Smash it pretty hard , then just skin it and
>> > chop it fine .

>> Ohhh... I was picking all the skin off first! Will try that. Thanks!

> Leave ALL the skin on, not just the last layer.
> Once you smash the clove, all skin just pulls off easily.

once it gets older it peels easier too, whatever
we use when it is fresher i'll peel and trim using
a very fine small bladed knife. i don't always
want the smashed effect.

the garlic smashers i've seen that have been the
best are stainless steel with the smasher having
teeth so they push out all the smashed garlic. i
don't have one any more since i use the meat grinder
to take care of it all in one go at the end of the
garlic storage season.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> "graham" > wrote in message

> > Why bother? Just go to McDonald's and stop bothering with trying to cook!

> Yuck! I don't eat that stuff.

Thanks for demonstrating

"I won't bother suggesting anything. You will just come back with
the reasons they won't work for you."

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:
> Jinx the Minx wrote:
>>

> Julie asked:
>>> Do you leave the skin on?
>>>

>> I do not! I always trim the ends off and peel first.

> That's a waste of time.
> Next time, do just one clove with no trimming or peeling.
> Just pull it off the bulb and smash it.
> See what you think. HTH

I will try that next time, but I have no issues peeling garlic fast. Trim
the ends, pull it off. Trim the ends, pull it off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> > Help! How do you mince the stuff!

> i use a meat grinder when i have enough peeled for
> it to be worth it

Isn't it about time for us to debate
"how to cut an onion without tears" again?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> once it gets older it peels easier too, whatever
> we use when it is fresher i'll peel and trim using
> a very fine small bladed knife. i don't always
> want the smashed effect.

How in the world does the "smashed effect" affect your dish?
Smashed and diced vs peeled and diced.
Spy vs Spy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:21:06 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> songbird wrote:
> >
> > once it gets older it peels easier too, whatever
> > we use when it is fresher i'll peel and trim using
> > a very fine small bladed knife. i don't always
> > want the smashed effect.

> How in the world does the "smashed effect" affect your dish?
> Smashed and diced vs peeled and diced.
> Spy vs Spy.

The more cell walls you break, the more allicin is released, and
the more garlicky it tastes. If you want a big, round, mellow
garlic flavor, don't break so many cell walls. If you want a
hot, intense garlic flavor, mash those suckers up.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 07:27:25 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:21:06 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> songbird wrote:
>> >
>> > once it gets older it peels easier too, whatever
>> > we use when it is fresher i'll peel and trim using
>> > a very fine small bladed knife. i don't always
>> > want the smashed effect.

>> How in the world does the "smashed effect" affect your dish?
>> Smashed and diced vs peeled and diced.
>> Spy vs Spy.

>The more cell walls you break, the more allicin is released, and
>the more garlicky it tastes. If you want a big, round, mellow
>garlic flavor, don't break so many cell walls. If you want a
>hot, intense garlic flavor, mash those suckers up.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Yep, it's true.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 23:30:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> Do you leave the skin on?
>>>

>> I do not! I always trim the ends off and peel first.

>Hmmm... Maybe your knife is heavier than mine!

I don't peel first. I place the broad portion of the knife on the
garlic and hit it with my fist. If my arthritis is acting up I us my
rubber mallet to whack it. How hard you hit it depends on how fine
you want the garlic. Hit it lightly and you can slice and dice. Hit
it hard and it's pretty mashed and mincing shouldn't be a problem
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > How in the world does the "smashed effect" affect your dish?
> > Smashed and diced vs peeled and diced.
> > Spy vs Spy.

> The more cell walls you break, the more allicin is released, and
> the more garlicky it tastes.

So then smash and mince 3 cloves instead of 4 minced cloves.
Save money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 15:40:25 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove, pounding
> on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to do
> that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>
> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>
> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I would
> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I would
> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next one
> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I tossed
> them.
>
> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted garlic that
> I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real deal.
> Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of minced.
>
> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

Typical Julie-only problems. 1 in 50 cloves sqwertz out from under
the knife because I didn't have the knife flat. And garlic presses
have never been a problem.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" > wrote:
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>>
>>> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've seen
>>> chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the clove,
>>> pounding
>>> on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing it. When I try to
>>> do
>>> that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>>>
>>> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>>>
>>> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that it
>>> would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end. I
>>> would
>>> then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed garlic. I
>>> would
>>> manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the press. The next
>>> one
>>> was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky aroma of garlic. I
>>> tossed
>>> them.
>>>
>>> For some time, I used either garlic or some dried roasted garlic that
>>> I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to use the real
>>> deal.
>>> Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I bought a small jar of
>>> minced.
>>>
>>> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

>> I’m not sure you need to “pound” on the knife. I just rest the heel of my
>> hand on the blade and press down to smash. I’ve never had a single clove
>> zing away.

That's what I do only I first use a knife to slice off a wee bit of
the thick end of each clove (circumcise) and then give the clove a
nice nipple tweek between thumb and forefinger while rolling it some,
the clove becomes erected, some juices ooze, and the skin practically
jumps off in glee. Then I slice each clove in half the long way.
Place the half clove down on it's cut side so it won't move and make
several slices but not quite all the way through, Then slice through
in the other direction so that it ends up like julienne but all
attached at the small end like a hinge. Then it's eazy to slice
through to mince into bits whatever size you like. I either do the
mini dice or stop at the julienne stage for slivered garlic. Once one
gets the hang of it the process goes quickly. I once tried a garlic
press, it makes messy garlic puree, I threw it in the trash. A better
way to puree garlic is to slice each clove in half, place each cut
side down, sprinkle with some kosher salt and mash with the side of a
knife blade... the kosher salt holds it all together in one mass...
then remember to adjust the salt in your recipe accordingly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Mar 2019 08:29:57 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 07:27:25 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>> How in the world does the "smashed effect" affect your dish?
>>> Smashed and diced vs peeled and diced.
>>> Spy vs Spy.

>>The more cell walls you break, the more allicin is released, and
>>the more garlicky it tastes. If you want a big, round, mellow
>>garlic flavor, don't break so many cell walls. If you want a
>>hot, intense garlic flavor, mash those suckers up.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>Yep, it's true.
>Janet US

Depends on the recipe; for soups/stews smooshed garlic gives up it's
all within the first half hour... thats when I leave cloves whole and
cut an X at one end so the garlic flavor releases slowly throughout
the cooking, then whole cloves can be fished out. For fermented
garlic dill pickles I add the garlic cloves whole, skin on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-05 10:20 a.m., Gary wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>>
>> once it gets older it peels easier too, whatever
>> we use when it is fresher i'll peel and trim using
>> a very fine small bladed knife. i don't always
>> want the smashed effect.

> How in the world does the "smashed effect" affect your dish?
> Smashed and diced vs peeled and diced.
> Spy vs Spy.

It does. Crushing them releases the juices. Garlic is very versatile
stuff and the taste and effects change dramatically depending on how it
is cut, whether it is raw or cooked, how it is cooked, how long it is
cooked.