Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you suck at?

For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it out the back door for the birds.
They do not like it either.
It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.

What do you find difficult?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 11:55:31 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
> For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it out the back door for the birds.
> They do not like it either.
> It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>
> What do you find difficult?

I cannot make mayo anymore. It used to be so easy for me in the past. I used to be able to make mayo without even thinking. These days, I can only make an egg and oil shake. I believe that I have insulted a gypsy or displeased the gods in some way. OTOH, as far as curses goes, it's not that bad of a gig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 14:35:49 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 11:55:31 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
>> For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it out the back door for the birds.
>> They do not like it either.
>> It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>>
>> What do you find difficult?

>I cannot make mayo anymore. It used to be so easy for me in the past. I used to be able to make mayo without even thinking. These days, I can only make an egg and oil shake. I believe that I have insulted a gypsy or displeased the gods in some way. OTOH, as far as curses goes, it's not that bad of a gig.

Maybe you've eaten too many industry chickens and offended the
poultrygeist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 23:30:21 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

writes:
>>For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it
>>out the back door for the birds.
>>They do not like it either.
>>It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>>
>>What do you find difficult?

>toast
>
>great chefs agree that toast is the hardest thing to get right

We've got a little machine for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thomas" > wrote in message
> For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it out
> the back door for the birds.
> They do not like it either.
> It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>
> What do you find difficult?

Pie crust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 3:55:31 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it out the back door for the birds.
> They do not like it either.
> It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>
> What do you find difficult?

I could never fry chicken, so I stopped trying!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 14:35:49 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 11:55:31 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
>> For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it
>> out the back door for the birds.
>> They do not like it either.
>> It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>>
>> What do you find difficult?

>I cannot make mayo anymore. It used to be so easy for me in the past. I
>used to be able to make mayo without even thinking. These days, I can only
>make an egg and oil shake. I believe that I have insulted a gypsy or
>displeased the gods in some way. OTOH, as far as curses goes, it's not that
>bad of a gig.

Maybe you've eaten too many industry chickens and offended the
poultrygeist.

==

G r o a n ..... ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 09:03:16 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 14:35:49 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 11:55:31 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
>>> For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it
>>> out the back door for the birds.
>>> They do not like it either.
>>> It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>>>
>>> What do you find difficult?

>>I cannot make mayo anymore. It used to be so easy for me in the past. I
>>used to be able to make mayo without even thinking. These days, I can only
>>make an egg and oil shake. I believe that I have insulted a gypsy or
>>displeased the gods in some way. OTOH, as far as curses goes, it's not that
>>bad of a gig.

>Maybe you've eaten too many industry chickens and offended the
>poultrygeist.
>
>==
>
>G r o a n ..... ;p

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 13:55:28 -0800 (PST), Thomas wrote:

> For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it out the back door for the birds.
> They do not like it either.
> It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>
> What do you find difficult?

listening to people whine about their pizza dough/crusts and blame
it on their oven without mentioning their recipe.

Since you're looking for a somebody to confirm your oven sucks, I
assume open to other suggestions regarding the recipes you're using.
I used to suck at pizza dough until I discovered '00' pizza flour
(any brand, doesn't need to be Caputo. I buy Anna brand).

https://www.fornobravo.com/pizza-ove...e/pizza-dough/

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 4:55:31 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it out the back door for the birds.
> They do not like it either.
> It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>
> What do you find difficult?

Stir fry. Oh, I can make it, and everything comes out ok, but no matter
what I do or change, they always taste the same.

Luckily, Chinese restaurants are cheap and readily available.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>>For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it
>>out the back door for the birds.
>>They do not like it either.
>>It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>>
>>What do you find difficult?

>toast
>
>great chefs agree that toast is the hardest thing to get right

That is only because of uneven cooking you get from an electric
toaster or salamander. Toasting with gas can make it more even because
it takes longer to warm up the elements so they are at a higher
temperature and usually stay that way longer, like that of a cast iron
skillet

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 4:55:31 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it out the back door for the birds.
> They do not like it either.
> It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>
> What do you find difficult?

i find it difficult to skin a salmon filet. perhaps i'm using the wrong knife. i was taught to use a steak knife(not the knife you're thinking of; it's a long curved knife which was designed to cut for example to slice up a whole strip loin into steaks). some people they get it right and take that whole skin off in seconds. maybe i should try a boning knife.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 3:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> .....as far as curses goes, it's not that bad of a gig.

LOL.....!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>> > Naw... most great chefs agree if you can't scramble an egg you'd better
>> > go out for breakfast.
>> >

>> Doesn't that depend on how you like your eggs scrambled? Between
>> adding, milk vs. water, how much you whip them up before cooking, how
>> hot you cook them , how much you stir them, scrambling before or after
>> they go into the pan, there are dozens of ways to scramble eggs,

>i like to scramble mine fairly quickly over maybe a bit less than medium high heat. some people like their scramble low and slow. dr. phil did something i found to be a bit nutty. he warmed up a pan, broke eggs into the pan and then scrambled them in the pan. he ate the eggs right out of the pan. i guess his schtick was to appear to be earthy and simple.

Thing about any medical doctor... They are usually good at medical
stuff, but other than that they are about as useful as a bag of rocks

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 3:47 PM, Bruce wrote:

> Maybe you've eaten too many industry chickens and offended the
> poultrygeist.

Even bigger "LOL .....!"

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2019 4:11 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Stir fry. Oh, I can make it, and everything comes out ok, but no matter
> what I do or change, they always taste the same.
>
> Luckily, Chinese restaurants are cheap and readily available.

.....and they all taste the same.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 9:23:13 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 3/1/2019 4:11 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Stir fry. Oh, I can make it, and everything comes out ok, but no matter
> > what I do or change, they always taste the same.
> >
> > Luckily, Chinese restaurants are cheap and readily available.

> ....and they all taste the same.
>
> nb

Oddly enough, they don't. We've got one that seems to add
five-spice to every single dish. Monotonous.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Thomas wrote:
> > What do you find difficult?

> Stir fry. Oh, I can make it, and everything comes out ok, but no matter
> what I do or change, they always taste the same.
>
> Luckily, Chinese restaurants are cheap and readily available.

I agree with you there, Cindy. I can make some good stir fry. Not
necessarily all the same but never quite as good as I can get
from a Chinese place. And they are cheap.

saves lots of prep time plus cheaper than buying exotic
vegetables just for a few meals. This is why I rarely cook
chinese. Find a good local restaurant and just buy take-out
during lunch hours (reduced prices). All costs less money and
also less time than making all this yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 10:20:52 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 9:23:13 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> > On 3/1/2019 4:11 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > > Stir fry. Oh, I can make it, and everything comes out ok, but no matter
> > > what I do or change, they always taste the same.
> > >
> > > Luckily, Chinese restaurants are cheap and readily available.

> > ....and they all taste the same.
> >
> > nb

> Oddly enough, they don't. We've got one that seems to add
> five-spice to every single dish. Monotonous.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Chinese Restaurants are BASICALLY RACIST!!

Do we KNOW the history of Chinese Restaurants in the U.S.? Another example of the STUPID RACIST LAWS in the U.S.!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Troll name wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 20:18:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> >I'd not eat toast if you need fossil fuel to make it. The earth weeps
> >when you do.

> well I guess you can lay your toast out in the sun butter it up and it
> may eventually get a tan, just dont eat the suntan lotion

Magnifying-glass toast is good if you're not pressed for time.
:-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 3/1/2019 4:11 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Stir fry. Oh, I can make it, and everything comes out ok, but no matter
> > what I do or change, they always taste the same.
> >
> > Luckily, Chinese restaurants are cheap and readily available.

> ....and they all taste the same.

I sure wish that was true but not at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2019 9:20 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> We've got one that seems to add
> five-spice to every single dish. Monotonous.

Five-spice blend is supposed to be made with "Szezhaun peppers". It was
banned from importation fer about 5-10 yrs, but is back!

Many spice companies subbed other pprs --even "black pepper"-- and have
not changed back to "real" Szezhaun pprs. You might check with yer
resto.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 5:44:24 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 13:55:28 -0800 (PST), Thomas wrote:
>
> > For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it out the back door for the birds.
> > They do not like it either.
> > It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
> >
> > What do you find difficult?

> listening to people whine about their pizza dough/crusts and blame
> it on their oven without mentioning their recipe.
>
> Since you're looking for a somebody to confirm your oven sucks, I
> assume open to other suggestions regarding the recipes you're using.
> I used to suck at pizza dough until I discovered '00' pizza flour
> (any brand, doesn't need to be Caputo. I buy Anna brand).
>
> https://www.fornobravo.com/pizza-ove...e/pizza-dough/
>
> -sw

There is no whining bitch. Thanks for the flour suggestion though. I only ever tried with on hand AP flour.

Another good comment was to use a magnifying glass for toast. We can draw a pic of Christ and be on CNN.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Mar 2019 11:32:01 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Troll name wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 20:18:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> >I'd not eat toast if you need fossil fuel to make it. The earth weeps
>> >when you do.

>> well I guess you can lay your toast out in the sun butter it up and it
>> may eventually get a tan, just dont eat the suntan lotion

>Magnifying-glass toast is good if you're not pressed for time.
>:-D

Well unless your magnifying glass was large enough to reflect a slice
of bread sized beam of light then you would basically have a piece of
raw bread with black or otherwise darkened lines all over it LOL.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 3:10:44 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 3/1/2019 9:20 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > We've got one that seems to add
> > five-spice to every single dish. Monotonous.

> Five-spice blend is supposed to be made with "Szezhaun peppers". It was
> banned from importation fer about 5-10 yrs, but is back!
>
> Many spice companies subbed other pprs --even "black pepper"-- and have
> not changed back to "real" Szezhaun pprs. You might check with yer
> resto.
>
> nb

I don't go there anymore, because every single dish tastes
strongly of five-spice. Even the ones that aren't supposed to.

Cindy Hamilton

ALSO YOU MAY SUCK IT! Kevin S. Wilson Barbecue 5 04-02-2007 06:37 PM
I Suck pfoley General Cooking 0 19-01-2007 08:25 PM
You suck [email protected] General Cooking 0 04-05-2006 10:45 AM
Y'all Suck Reg Barbecue 3 29-11-2003 10:33 PM