Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default chicken stock revisited

i got a pile of chicken legs @ 88 cents per pound. (cdn)
what a wonderful stock they made. i don't like leg meat, so i cooked the meat and everything until d-day. put legs in a pot. cover with water at least a couple of inches. bring to a boil, and skim, skim skim...when all skimmed completely lower the heat so that the stock is tickled. a couple of bubbles up every second. maybe 4 bubbles, but not much more please. tickle for a few hours. i don't time, but it was probably tickling for around 6 - 7 or 8 hours. the stock should be a bit dark but clear. great flavour. i must mention that after the skimming, i added onion and carrot. no celery because i didn't have any. no herbs either i.e. bay leaf. strain. it's clear, a bit dark, but really flavourful. and if it's not flavourful to your liking, reduce it a bit. this broth does not need any chicken flavoured cubes or anything. add water as the stock reduces. you can always reduce later.
the stock when refrigerated was nice and gelatin like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 11:17:25 AM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:

> i got a pile of chicken legs @ 88 cents per pound. (cdn)
> what a wonderful stock they made. i don't like leg meat, so i cooked the meat and everything until d-day. put legs in a pot. cover with water at least a couple of inches. bring to a boil, and skim, skim skim...when all skimmed completely lower the heat so that the stock is tickled. a couple of bubbles up every second. maybe 4 bubbles, but not much more please. tickle for a few hours. i don't time, but it was probably tickling for around 6 - 7 or 8 hours. the stock should be a bit dark but clear. great flavour. i must mention that after the skimming, i added onion and carrot. no celery because i didn't have any. no herbs either i.e. bay leaf. strain. it's clear, a bit dark, but really flavourful. and if it's not flavourful to your liking, reduce it a bit. this broth does not need any chicken flavoured cubes or anything. add water as the stock reduces. you can always reduce later.
> the stock when refrigerated was nice and gelatin like.

I have never made stock but now that I have a pressure cooker I have been
toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I think I'll opt for a few
legs and a few wings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-25 1:53 p.m., wrote:
> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 11:17:25 AM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>> i got a pile of chicken legs @ 88 cents per pound. (cdn)
>> what a wonderful stock they made. i don't like leg meat, so i cooked the meat and everything until d-day. put legs in a pot. cover with water at least a couple of inches. bring to a boil, and skim, skim skim...when all skimmed completely lower the heat so that the stock is tickled. a couple of bubbles up every second. maybe 4 bubbles, but not much more please. tickle for a few hours. i don't time, but it was probably tickling for around 6 - 7 or 8 hours. the stock should be a bit dark but clear. great flavour. i must mention that after the skimming, i added onion and carrot. no celery because i didn't have any. no herbs either i.e. bay leaf. strain. it's clear, a bit dark, but really flavourful. and if it's not flavourful to your liking, reduce it a bit. this broth does not need any chicken flavoured cubes or anything. add water as the stock reduces. you can always reduce later.
>> the stock when refrigerated was nice and gelatin like.
>>

> I have never made stock but now that I have a pressure cooker I have been
> toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I think I'll opt for a few
> legs and a few wings.

I'm not sure that I would use a PC. The last time I tried it, admittedly
many, many years ago, it pulled a lot of bitterness from the bones. At
least that was my reasoning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 12:53:10 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 11:17:25 AM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>> i got a pile of chicken legs @ 88 cents per pound. (cdn)
>> what a wonderful stock they made. i don't like leg meat, so i cooked the meat and everything until d-day. put legs in a pot. cover with water at least a couple of inches. bring to a boil, and skim, skim skim...when all skimmed completely lower the heat so that the stock is tickled. a couple of bubbles up every second. maybe 4 bubbles, but not much more please. tickle for a few hours. i don't time, but it was probably tickling for around 6 - 7 or 8 hours. the stock should be a bit dark but clear. great flavour. i must mention that after the skimming, i added onion and carrot. no celery because i didn't have any. no herbs either i.e. bay leaf. strain. it's clear, a bit dark, but really flavourful. and if it's not flavourful to your liking, reduce it a bit. this broth does not need any chicken flavoured cubes or anything. add water as the stock reduces. you can always reduce later.
>> the stock when refrigerated was nice and gelatin like.
>>

>I have never made stock but now that I have a pressure cooker I have been
>toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I think I'll opt for a few
>legs and a few wings.

you won't be sorry. Let it rip for 30-40 minutes. Strain.
Refrigerate overnight. Skim fat. You're good to go.
I always use scraps of onion, celery, carrot.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:53:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> I have never made stock but now that I have a pressure cooker I have been
> toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I think I'll opt for a few
> legs and a few wings.

Really? Wow. I'm making turkey stock even as we speak. Just
in a pot on the stove, though. I can't count how many times
I've made chicken, turkey, or beef stock. Just once or twice for
vegetable broth, though.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 13:23:25 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:53:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>
>> I have never made stock but now that I have a pressure cooker I have been
>> toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I think I'll opt for a few
>> legs and a few wings.

>Really? Wow. I'm making turkey stock even as we speak. Just
>in a pot on the stove, though. I can't count how many times
>I've made chicken, turkey, or beef stock. Just once or twice for
>vegetable broth, though.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I like vegetables, love veggies really, but I can't say that I find
vegetable stock appealing. I guess I just need that bit of meat to
round out the flavor.
When do you use vegetable stock in preference to another stock?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 4:32:18 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 13:23:25 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:53:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> >> I have never made stock but now that I have a pressure cooker I have been
> >> toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I think I'll opt for a few
> >> legs and a few wings.

> >Really? Wow. I'm making turkey stock even as we speak. Just
> >in a pot on the stove, though. I can't count how many times
> >I've made chicken, turkey, or beef stock. Just once or twice for
> >vegetable broth, though.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I like vegetables, love veggies really, but I can't say that I find
> vegetable stock appealing. I guess I just need that bit of meat to
> round out the flavor.
> When do you use vegetable stock in preference to another stock?

I don't, actually. I made vegetable broth a couple of times
when I was a young hippie following a recipe from the Vegetarian
Epicure. As you say, meat is better.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:23:08 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 12:53:10 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I have never made stock but now that I have a pressure cooker I have been
> >toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I think I'll opt for a few
> >legs and a few wings.

> you won't be sorry. Let it rip for 30-40 minutes. Strain.
> Refrigerate overnight. Skim fat. You're good to go.
> I always use scraps of onion, celery, carrot.
> Janet US

Thanks! I just checked out a video on YouTube using the Ninja so I may have to
give this a go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:23:28 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:53:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>
> > I have never made stock but now that I have a pressure cooker I have been
> > toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I think I'll opt for a few
> > legs and a few wings.

> Really? Wow. I'm making turkey stock even as we speak. Just
> in a pot on the stove, though. I can't count how many times
> I've made chicken, turkey, or beef stock. Just once or twice for
> vegetable broth, though.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I know, I know. I'm terrible behind the times when I could make my own. A
few years ago on America's Test Kitchen Chris Kimball said it was very easy
to do in a slow cooker or on top of the stove.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> YMMV:-) I think big commercial kitchens still use the long, slow method.
>>>

>>If I had one of Sheldon's 12 quart stock pots I could start a huge brew and
>>let it go for days.
>>
>>;-)

>A !2 qt is my smallest stock pot, for major chicken stock I use my 24
>qt stock pot, it'll hold three large roasting chickens. My favorite
>is my 18 qt French style stock pot, a deep and narrow voluptuous
>PIAZZA... no cookware is better.

Do you bail the contents of those 18-24 pots? I can't imagine anyone
lifting a full pot down off the stove.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> YMMV:-) I think big commercial kitchens still use the long, slow method.
>>>

>> If I had one of Sheldon's 12 quart stock pots I could start a huge brew and
>> let it go for days.
>>
>> ;-)

> A !2 qt is my smallest stock pot, for major chicken stock I use my 24
> qt stock pot, it'll hold three large roasting chickens. My favorite
> is my 18 qt French style stock pot, a deep and narrow voluptuous
> PIAZZA... no cookware is better.

Of course it is the best Popeye. *EVERYTHING* yoose owns is the finest
in the universe and substitutions are just trash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> If I had one of Sheldon's 12 quart stock pots I could start a huge brew and
>>> let it go for days.
>>>
>>> ;-)

>> A !2 qt is my smallest stock pot, for major chicken stock I use my 24
>> qt stock pot, it'll hold three large roasting chickens. My favorite
>> is my 18 qt French style stock pot, a deep and narrow voluptuous
>> PIAZZA... no cookware is better.

> Do you bail the contents of those 18-24 pots? I can't imagine anyone
> lifting a full pot down off the stove.

Popeye is the strongest man in the world. He can lift those pots with
one finger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 4:52:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:23:28 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:53:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > > I have never made stock but now that I have a pressure cooker I have been
> > > toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I think I'll opt for a few
> > > legs and a few wings.

> > Really? Wow. I'm making turkey stock even as we speak. Just
> > in a pot on the stove, though. I can't count how many times
> > I've made chicken, turkey, or beef stock. Just once or twice for
> > vegetable broth, though.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I know, I know. I'm terrible behind the times when I could make my own. A
> few years ago on America's Test Kitchen Chris Kimball said it was very easy
> to do in a slow cooker or on top of the stove.

Behind the times? I've been making stock for decades.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I have a 12-quart pot, but the turkey carcass fit nicely in the 8-quart
> pot. Now that the stock is made, I'll reduce it down and freeze it flat
> in ziplocs.
>
> I don't feel any particular need to make a barrel of stock when I can just
> make it again when I need to.

First - turkey stock is my favorite. The turkey bones and meat
contains much more flavor than chicken.

My largest pot is an 8-quart pot so I make 7 quarts from that
each time. From a 20lb turkey carcass, I can make 2 batches of 7
quarts each. Make one right away and freeze the other half of
turkey carcass for another batch later on.

One thing I've learned (from a customer)...for the best, simmer
it 24 hours, not 8-12 hours like some people stop at. If you've
never done that, try it. It's so much richer.

Last couple of years, I've been making chicken broth as needed in
my smaller crockpot. Less volume but easy to make a new batch
more often. SF once mentioned using the crockpot so I tried it
and liked it. Best for chicken is also 24 hours. Try it if you
haven't - you will notice the difference.

Anyway, using the crockpot, I start it in the morning and just
forget it until the next morning. No need to check like a
simmering pot on the stove. Only thing I do is about after 12
hours (that evening) I'll remove the lid to stir and break up any
large pieces. Then lid back on until the morning.

Next morning strain it then cool. And this is why I like to do
this on cold days when I can set the pot with lid outside to cool
quickly before going into the fridge. Hopefully Jill will now be
able to imagine why someone might wait for cold days to cook
large pots of anything.

I freeze mine in lidded pint and quart containers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:53:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>
> > I have never made stock but now that I have a pressure cooker I have been
> > toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I think I'll opt for a few
> > legs and a few wings.

> Really? Wow. I'm making turkey stock even as we speak. Just
> in a pot on the stove, though.

Nice rich stock needs to cooked low and slow. I would never dream
of using a pressure cooker unless it was a last minute thought
and needed it in a hurry. That would work in a pinch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> i got a pile of chicken legs @ 88 cents per pound. (cdn)
> what a wonderful stock they made. i don't like leg meat, so i cooked the meat and everything until d-day. put legs in a pot.

There's a good thing. Cooking until nicely browned definitely
improves the flavor of your stock. Joseph Littleshoes said that
once. I tried it and it's very true. Only problem is that once
that cooked chicken comes out of the oven, it's hard not to eat
rather than toss it in a pot of water.

> cover with water at least a couple of inches. bring to a boil, and skim, skim skim...

Skimming is only necessary if you want your final recipe to have
very clear broth. I don't care about that so I never skim.

> when all skimmed completely lower the heat so that the stock is tickled. a couple of bubbles up every second. maybe 4 bubbles, but not much more please. tickle for a few hours. i don't time, but it was probably tickling for around 6 - 7 or 8 hours. the stock should be a bit dark but clear. great flavour.

Again I say - you like it after 7-8 hours? Be patient and go 24
hours. Big difference.

> i must mention that after the skimming, i added onion and carrot. no celery because i didn't have any. no herbs either i.e. bay leaf.

Best to not add anything much. Some recipes you use the broth for
might not want the extra flavors. I tend to make mine almost
pure. I do save (in the freezer) some onion and carrot tops and
maybe a few other extra vegetable pieces and will toss in. No
herbs or spice though. I like to start with plain rich chicken
broth/stock when using in a recipe. Other flavors can be added
then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 03:38:55 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

wrote:

>> > YMMV:-) I think big commercial kitchens still use the long, slow method.
>> >

>> If I had one of Sheldon's 12 quart stock pots I could start a huge brew and
>> let it go for days.
>>
>> ;-)

>I have a 12-quart pot, but the turkey carcass fit nicely in the 8-quart
>pot. Now that the stock is made, I'll reduce it down and freeze it flat
>in ziplocs.
>
>I don't feel any particular need to make a barrel of stock when I can just
>make it again when I need to.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I generally need to make it again within a couple months. I buy
chicken with bones in and butcher out what I need. I save and freeze
the bones and odd parts I don't use. I also freeze carrot, celery,
onion, bell pepper, mushrooms that are currently beyond my immediate
needs. I store the chicken in zip bags and the veggies in another zip
bag. When I have a lot I put in a pot and make stock. I have never
bought (I don't think) chicken to make stock.
At one time in first years of marriage, I tossed unneeded chicken
stuff (gizzard, neck, wings) in a pot with some water and cooked it up
and gave the broth to the dog. I finally tasted some after I noticed
that the dog went wild for it. That was the beginning of my stock
making and a loss for the dog :-(
I just don't understand allowing veggies to get sad in the fridge and
throwing them away. Or throwing away chicken trimmings. I picked out
good stuff at the store and paid good money for it. Use it.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 08:47:37 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:53:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> > I have never made stock but now that I have a pressure cooker I have been
>> > toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I think I'll opt for a few
>> > legs and a few wings.

>> Really? Wow. I'm making turkey stock even as we speak. Just
>> in a pot on the stove, though.

>Nice rich stock needs to cooked low and slow. I would never dream
>of using a pressure cooker unless it was a last minute thought
>and needed it in a hurry. That would work in a pinch.

And I have done the long, long, low and slow forever and ever and it
was fine. One day I was in a hurry and used the pressure cooker.
There was a massive improvement in taste. Real chicken taste from
the pressure cooker. I've never done low and slow again.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>If I had one of Sheldon's 12 quart stock pots I could start a huge brew and
>>>let it go for days.
>>>
>>>;-)

>>A !2 qt is my smallest stock pot, for major chicken stock I use my 24
>>qt stock pot, it'll hold three large roasting chickens. My favorite
>>is my 18 qt French style stock pot, a deep and narrow voluptuous
>>PIAZZA... no cookware is better.

>Do you bail the contents of those 18-24 pots? I can't imagine anyone
>lifting a full pot down off the stove.

No need to lift the full pot... use a ladle... that one quart sauce
pot that comes with a set makes a good ladle, has no other use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:39:45 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:30:10 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:23:28 -0500, wrote:
>>
>> >A !2 qt is my smallest stock pot, for major chicken stock I use my 24
>> >qt stock pot, it'll hold three large roasting chickens. My favorite
>> >is my 18 qt French style stock pot, a deep and narrow voluptuous
>> >PIAZZA... no cookware is better.

>> Do you bail the contents of those 18-24 pots? I can't imagine anyone
>> lifting a full pot down off the stove.
>>

>He probably uses a 3 quart pot for his 'dipper.' ;-) I can't imagine
>anyone making that much stock unless they're running an orphanage or Kuth's
>boarding house.

These days it's just the two of us and not much company like the old
days so I rarely use the 24 quart pot but I use the 18 quart pot a few
times a year and I use the 12 quart pot often. The grands are
terrible eaters, they live on junk food so I refuse to cook for
them... their favorite food is Pop Tarts.... this visit over two days
they finished two packages of Pop Tarts and a 12 pack of Coke.

With the 12 qt pot I'll end up with 8 quarts of rich stock and I don't
think that's a lot. I think an 8 qt pot is too small for stock, not
worth the time and effort for maybe 5 quarts of stock... I eat most of
the veggies, I like boiled carrots, celery and onions, and naturally I
eat the chicken, I make chicken salad for us and then I pick the
bones. And I skim off the fat... gets put in an empty can and when
frozen cut through the bottom lid and push it out on a snow bank,
birds polish it off fast.
Last night I roasted a five pound boneless pork loin, had a lot of fat
on the exterior so this morning while the left over was cold from the
fridge I decided to slice it but first I removed most all the fat and
tossed it off the deck, birds were there before I got back inside.
It's much easier to slice meat cold than hot... cold sliced pork loin
makes very good sandwiches.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

wrote in message ...

>On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:30:10 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:23:28 -0500, wrote:
>>
>> >A !2 qt is my smallest stock pot, for major chicken stock I use my 24
>> >qt stock pot, it'll hold three large roasting chickens. My favorite
>> >is my 18 qt French style stock pot, a deep and narrow voluptuous
>> >PIAZZA... no cookware is better.

>> Do you bail the contents of those 18-24 pots? I can't imagine anyone
>> lifting a full pot down off the stove.
>>

>He probably uses a 3 quart pot for his 'dipper.' ;-) I can't imagine
>anyone making that much stock unless they're running an orphanage or Kuth's
>boarding house.

These days it's just the two of us and not much company like the old
days so I rarely use the 24 quart pot but I use the 18 quart pot a few
times a year and I use the 12 quart pot often. The grands are
terrible eaters, they live on junk food so I refuse to cook for
them... their favorite food is Pop Tarts.... this visit over two days
they finished two packages of Pop Tarts and a 12 pack of Coke.

With the 12 qt pot I'll end up with 8 quarts of rich stock and I don't
think that's a lot. I think an 8 qt pot is too small for stock, not
worth the time and effort for maybe 5 quarts of stock... I eat most of
the veggies, I like boiled carrots, celery and onions, and naturally I
eat the chicken, I make chicken salad for us and then I pick the
bones. And I skim off the fat... gets put in an empty can and when
frozen cut through the bottom lid and push it out on a snow bank,
birds polish it off fast.
Last night I roasted a five pound boneless pork loin, had a lot of fat
on the exterior so this morning while the left over was cold from the
fridge I decided to slice it but first I removed most all the fat and
tossed it off the deck, birds were there before I got back inside.
It's much easier to slice meat cold than hot... cold sliced pork loin
makes very good sandwiches.

==

How do you use up all the stock? I mean what do you do with it all

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 5:38:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:51:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > If I had one of Sheldon's 12 quart stock pots I could start a huge brew and
> > let it go for days.
> >
> > ;-)

> I have a 12-quart pot, but the turkey carcass fit nicely in the 8-quart
> pot. Now that the stock is made, I'll reduce it down and freeze it flat
> in ziplocs.
>
> I don't feel any particular need to make a barrel of stock when I can just
> make it again when I need to.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My largest pot is an 8 quart size. Sometimes I think a larger pot might be
nice to have, but there comes the problem of where to store it when not in
use. And no, no matter how convenient Sheldon thinks it is, I'm not storing
cookware in the basement.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 7:47:36 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> Nice rich stock needs to cooked low and slow. I would never dream
> of using a pressure cooker unless it was a last minute thought
> and needed it in a hurry. That would work in a pinch.

I have thought of using my crockpot but it is an automatic shut-off model,
so that really would be inconvenient unless I set a timer to go turn it on
again every 6 or 8 hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 9:06:35 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 08:47:37 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Nice rich stock needs to cooked low and slow. I would never dream
> >of using a pressure cooker unless it was a last minute thought
> >and needed it in a hurry. That would work in a pinch.

> And I have done the long, long, low and slow forever and ever and it
> was fine. One day I was in a hurry and used the pressure cooker.
> There was a massive improvement in taste. Real chicken taste from
> the pressure cooker. I've never done low and slow again.
> Janet US

Oh ok!! I've never made stock but I did think that maybe the pressure
cooker could really extract a lot of flavor using pressure. Now, you've convinced me!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 10:46:49 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 9:06:35 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 08:47:37 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>>
>> >Nice rich stock needs to cooked low and slow. I would never dream
>> >of using a pressure cooker unless it was a last minute thought
>> >and needed it in a hurry. That would work in a pinch.

>> And I have done the long, long, low and slow forever and ever and it
>> was fine. One day I was in a hurry and used the pressure cooker.
>> There was a massive improvement in taste. Real chicken taste from
>> the pressure cooker. I've never done low and slow again.
>> Janet US
>>

>Oh ok!! I've never made stock but I did think that maybe the pressure
>cooker could really extract a lot of flavor using pressure. Now, you've convinced me!

well, you need to be the judge, after all, we all have our taste
preferences as well as our own set of taste buds. Let me know how it
turns out for you. I will toss in some onion, celery butt and a
carrot and if I feel like it a clove of garlic in the pot. Just a
small amount of salt to help pull the flavor from everything. No more
seasoning until I get around to using the stock. Then I taste and see
what I want to add depending upon what soup I'm making.
Today I am thawing a quart of really concentrated stock for soup for
lunch tomorrow.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia used his keyboard to write :
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> wrote in message ...

>>> Do you bail the contents of those 18-24 pots? I can't imagine anyone
>>> lifting a full pot down off the stove.
>>>

>>He probably uses a 3 quart pot for his 'dipper.' ;-) I can't imagine
>>anyone making that much stock unless they're running an orphanage or Kuth's
>>boarding house.

> These days it's just the two of us and not much company like the old
> days so I rarely use the 24 quart pot but I use the 18 quart pot a few
> times a year and I use the 12 quart pot often. The grands are
> terrible eaters, they live on junk food so I refuse to cook for
> them... their favorite food is Pop Tarts.... this visit over two days
> they finished two packages of Pop Tarts and a 12 pack of Coke.
>
> With the 12 qt pot I'll end up with 8 quarts of rich stock and I don't
> think that's a lot. I think an 8 qt pot is too small for stock, not
> worth the time and effort for maybe 5 quarts of stock... I eat most of
> the veggies, I like boiled carrots, celery and onions, and naturally I
> eat the chicken, I make chicken salad for us and then I pick the
> bones. And I skim off the fat... gets put in an empty can and when
> frozen cut through the bottom lid and push it out on a snow bank,
> birds polish it off fast.
> Last night I roasted a five pound boneless pork loin, had a lot of fat
> on the exterior so this morning while the left over was cold from the
> fridge I decided to slice it but first I removed most all the fat and
> tossed it off the deck, birds were there before I got back inside.
> It's much easier to slice meat cold than hot... cold sliced pork loin
> makes very good sandwiches.
>
> ==
>
> How do you use up all the stock? I mean what do you do with it all

He douches his Mexican hoe old lady with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 18:29:28 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>wrote in message ...

>>> Do you bail the contents of those 18-24 pots? I can't imagine anyone
>>> lifting a full pot down off the stove.
>>>

>>He probably uses a 3 quart pot for his 'dipper.' ;-) I can't imagine
>>anyone making that much stock unless they're running an orphanage or Kuth's
>>boarding house.

>These days it's just the two of us and not much company like the old
>days so I rarely use the 24 quart pot but I use the 18 quart pot a few
>times a year and I use the 12 quart pot often. The grands are
>terrible eaters, they live on junk food so I refuse to cook for
>them... their favorite food is Pop Tarts.... this visit over two days
>they finished two packages of Pop Tarts and a 12 pack of Coke.
>
>With the 12 qt pot I'll end up with 8 quarts of rich stock and I don't
>think that's a lot. I think an 8 qt pot is too small for stock, not
>worth the time and effort for maybe 5 quarts of stock... I eat most of
>the veggies, I like boiled carrots, celery and onions, and naturally I
>eat the chicken, I make chicken salad for us and then I pick the
>bones. And I skim off the fat... gets put in an empty can and when
>frozen cut through the bottom lid and push it out on a snow bank,
>birds polish it off fast.
>Last night I roasted a five pound boneless pork loin, had a lot of fat
>on the exterior so this morning while the left over was cold from the
>fridge I decided to slice it but first I removed most all the fat and
>tossed it off the deck, birds were there before I got back inside.
>It's much easier to slice meat cold than hot... cold sliced pork loin
>makes very good sandwiches.
>
>==
>
>How do you use up all the stock? I mean what do you do with it all

Eight quarts of stock is not a lot, I freeze about half and use about
half to prepare a soup. Soup doesn't last long here... our soup bowls
hold 18 ounces and we will each eat one bowl for a meal. And I
usually prepare a Chinese chicken stock by adding a lot of ginger and
white peppercorns; perfect for eggdrop soup.... sometimes stock
becomes Hot & Sour soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 14:10:10 -0500, Bruce >
wrote:

>Ophelia used his keyboard to write :
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> wrote in message ...

>>>He probably uses a 3 quart pot for his 'dipper.' ;-) I can't imagine
>>>anyone making that much stock unless they're running an orphanage or Kuth's
>>>boarding house.

>> These days it's just the two of us and not much company like the old
>> days so I rarely use the 24 quart pot but I use the 18 quart pot a few
>> times a year and I use the 12 quart pot often. The grands are
>> terrible eaters, they live on junk food so I refuse to cook for
>> them... their favorite food is Pop Tarts.... this visit over two days
>> they finished two packages of Pop Tarts and a 12 pack of Coke.
>>
>> With the 12 qt pot I'll end up with 8 quarts of rich stock and I don't
>> think that's a lot. I think an 8 qt pot is too small for stock, not
>> worth the time and effort for maybe 5 quarts of stock... I eat most of
>> the veggies, I like boiled carrots, celery and onions, and naturally I
>> eat the chicken, I make chicken salad for us and then I pick the
>> bones. And I skim off the fat... gets put in an empty can and when
>> frozen cut through the bottom lid and push it out on a snow bank,
>> birds polish it off fast.
>> Last night I roasted a five pound boneless pork loin, had a lot of fat
>> on the exterior so this morning while the left over was cold from the
>> fridge I decided to slice it but first I removed most all the fat and
>> tossed it off the deck, birds were there before I got back inside.
>> It's much easier to slice meat cold than hot... cold sliced pork loin
>> makes very good sandwiches.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> How do you use up all the stock? I mean what do you do with it all
>>

>He douches his Mexican hoe old lady with it.

I didn't write that. Can I at least offend people myself?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 1:36:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 5:38:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:51:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > >
> > > If I had one of Sheldon's 12 quart stock pots I could start a huge brew and
> > > let it go for days.
> > >
> > > ;-)

> > I have a 12-quart pot, but the turkey carcass fit nicely in the 8-quart
> > pot. Now that the stock is made, I'll reduce it down and freeze it flat
> > in ziplocs.
> >
> > I don't feel any particular need to make a barrel of stock when I can just
> > make it again when I need to.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> My largest pot is an 8 quart size. Sometimes I think a larger pot might be
> nice to have, but there comes the problem of where to store it when not in
> use. And no, no matter how convenient Sheldon thinks it is, I'm not storing
> cookware in the basement.

My 8-quart is stored in the kitchen. My 12-quart is stored in
the basement, since we use it only a few times per year. He
makes a big pot of spaghetti sauce a couple times a year.

The pig roaster is stored in the shed, but that's a whole 'nother
level of cooking. We'll probably never do a pig roast again; I've
been trying to get him to get rid of it, but he's sentimental about
it, since he welded it up himself.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>wrote in message ...

>>> Do you bail the contents of those 18-24 pots? I can't imagine anyone
>>> lifting a full pot down off the stove.
>>>

>>He probably uses a 3 quart pot for his 'dipper.' ;-) I can't imagine
>>anyone making that much stock unless they're running an orphanage or
>>Kuth's
>>boarding house.

>These days it's just the two of us and not much company like the old
>days so I rarely use the 24 quart pot but I use the 18 quart pot a few
>times a year and I use the 12 quart pot often. The grands are
>terrible eaters, they live on junk food so I refuse to cook for
>them... their favorite food is Pop Tarts.... this visit over two days
>they finished two packages of Pop Tarts and a 12 pack of Coke.
>
>With the 12 qt pot I'll end up with 8 quarts of rich stock and I don't
>think that's a lot. I think an 8 qt pot is too small for stock, not
>worth the time and effort for maybe 5 quarts of stock... I eat most of
>the veggies, I like boiled carrots, celery and onions, and naturally I
>eat the chicken, I make chicken salad for us and then I pick the
>bones. And I skim off the fat... gets put in an empty can and when
>frozen cut through the bottom lid and push it out on a snow bank,
>birds polish it off fast.
>Last night I roasted a five pound boneless pork loin, had a lot of fat
>on the exterior so this morning while the left over was cold from the
>fridge I decided to slice it but first I removed most all the fat and
>tossed it off the deck, birds were there before I got back inside.
>It's much easier to slice meat cold than hot... cold sliced pork loin
>makes very good sandwiches.
>
>==
>
>How do you use up all the stock? I mean what do you do with it all

Eight quarts of stock is not a lot, I freeze about half and use about
half to prepare a soup. Soup doesn't last long here... our soup bowls
hold 18 ounces and we will each eat one bowl for a meal. And I
usually prepare a Chinese chicken stock by adding a lot of ginger and
white peppercorns; perfect for eggdrop soup.... sometimes stock
becomes Hot & Sour soup.

==

Nice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 5:38:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:51:00 PM UTC-5,
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > If I had one of Sheldon's 12 quart stock pots I could start a huge
> > > brew and
> > > let it go for days.
> > >
> > > ;-)

> > I have a 12-quart pot, but the turkey carcass fit nicely in the 8-quart
> > pot. Now that the stock is made, I'll reduce it down and freeze it flat
> > in ziplocs.
> >
> > I don't feel any particular need to make a barrel of stock when I can
> > just
> > make it again when I need to.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> My largest pot is an 8 quart size. Sometimes I think a larger pot might
> be
> nice to have, but there comes the problem of where to store it when not in
> use. And no, no matter how convenient Sheldon thinks it is, I'm not
> storing
> cookware in the basement.

My 8-quart is stored in the kitchen. My 12-quart is stored in
the basement, since we use it only a few times per year. He
makes a big pot of spaghetti sauce a couple times a year.

The pig roaster is stored in the shed, but that's a whole 'nother
level of cooking. We'll probably never do a pig roast again; I've
been trying to get him to get rid of it, but he's sentimental about
it, since he welded it up himself.

Cindy Hamilton

==

Aww I can understand that Could you not give him just one more pig roast
before it has to go? I am sure he would be very happy)))