FoodBanter.com

-   -   Chef Boyardee Throwback (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445823-chef-boyardee-throwback.html)

Bruce[_28_] 18-02-2019 04:44 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:33:59 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:23:03 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:24:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

>> What is it, it doesn't look like any Chinese food I've ever seen...
>> pieces are too big and sloppily arranged... and why the fork, Chinese
>> eat with chopsticks.
>>

>Every Chinese restaurant, fancy and expensive or plain and cheap, are ALL going
>to be different. Not a single one of food items will look the same; similar
>maybe, but not the same.
>
>The only folks, besides Orientals

Lol, ancient terminology that -I thought- only Sheldon used. Must be
redneck lingo.

>, that I see eating with chopsticks are the
>locals trying to impress other diners. Chopsticks do not make the food taste
>any better than using a fork nor does it make your dining experience any better.

A knife and fork don't make the food taste any better either.

[email protected][_2_] 18-02-2019 05:29 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 9:44:30 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:33:59 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >The only folks, besides Orientals

> Lol, ancient terminology that -I thought- only Sheldon used. Must be
> redneck lingo.

It might be outdated but it is not insulting. Trust you to raise a stink.

> >, that I see eating with chopsticks are the
> >locals trying to impress other diners. Chopsticks do not make the food taste
> >any better than using a fork nor does it make your dining experience any better.

> A knife and fork don't make the food taste any better either.

Nope, neither one does. The quality of the food, the method of cooking, and
how skilled the cook is.

Bruce[_28_] 18-02-2019 05:39 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 20:29:41 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 9:44:30 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:33:59 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >The only folks, besides Orientals

>> Lol, ancient terminology that -I thought- only Sheldon used. Must be
>> redneck lingo.

Oh well, if old Occidentals like the term...

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 06:41 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:57:39 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 08:36:40 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>>wrote:

>>>It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and
>>>then complain
>>>as to how BAD it was.
>>>Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
>>>Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.
>>>=====

>>Well, who on earth wants sugar of any other sweetener added to a
>>pizza. 6 year olds?

> Tomatoes are fruit, and fruit contains a lot of sugar naturally. if
> they are adding sugar then they are using unripened tasteless
> cardboard tomatoes.

I sometimes add a squirt of lemon to my sauce. Never sugar.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 06:47 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> some >>salad >>that was asst. >>>> vegetables with olives, Feta
>> cheese and >>pecans. >>Added a goodly drizzle >> of >>>> honey on
>> top. There may >>have been >>more things he added that I left out

>> appetite and had to >>>>keep >>>> looking

>> main >>> > line to get the water back out. And no, he doesn't pay
>> rent. He >>> > can stay in that building but I can't legally rent it.
>> Why is >>> > everyone here all up in my business?

>> might >>> have added for basic plumbing. Even small 5gallon electric
>> hot >>> water heaters that aren't very expensive and can handle a
>> small tub >>> type bath (some run off liquid propane bottles and you
>> just fill >>> with water then turn it on). I was looking at some of
>> them for a >>> camper friend of mine.

>> > Julie, I was talking RV's and at 5 gallons, he'd just dump the water
>> > that had no more than a little ivory soap or something added.

>> You expect a person who does work that gets him dirty and sweaty all
>> day to take a 5 gallon shower? I don't think so. There's a real
>> shower, sink and toilet in the house and the house is very close to
>> the back house.
>>
>> I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs to
>> and he has a water dispenser for drinking.

> Julie, again, we dove off and were talking RV's. No one ASKED you to
> add ANYTHING. The only time he comes into play, is that he might add
> such a type of thing himself for occasional use, after that, it's all
> RV talk and some of the neat things people may consider when camping.

The way it read was that you were telling me to get such a thing. And
"neat"? Haven't heard that in ages.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 06:53 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps they've improved some but the last time I tried jarred pasta
>> sauce has to be twenty years ago and it was awful.

> The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
> computers. Do you think food is any different?

I have had one jarred sauce that was really good. Amy's Organic. But it's
around $9 a jar. I don't even like pasta that much so not worth the price to
me. I got some P$$$$T (sp?) brand from Fred Meyers when they had it on
clearance. 44 cents a can. I did probably doctor it with cheese, herbs,
maybe even tomato sauce. Was fine for a quick, cheap meal. And a quick,
cheap meal is they only reason I eat pasta. I don't even eat it that often.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 06:54 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

wrote:

>>> Perhaps they've improved some but the last time I tried jarred pasta
>>> sauce has to be twenty years ago and it was awful.

>>The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
>>computers. Do you think food is any different?

> Computers are a recent invention. Food isn't.

True but prepared foods (not home canned) are a fairly recent thing.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 06:59 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Gary wrote:
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps they've improved some but the last time I tried jarred pasta
>>> sauce has to be twenty years ago and it was awful.

>> The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
>> computers. Do you think food is any different?

> yes, by a long ways.
>
> most people eat a lot more over-processed foods
> than they used to.
>
> his point is well supported by reading labels
> in the pasta sauce aisle in a normal grocery store.
>
> it's not just pasta sauce, but almost every item
> inside the aisles (around the edges you find dairy,
> meats, fruits and veggies).

Always shocks me to go shopping with my friend who is older than me. Aside
from a few Japanese dishes, she does little in the way of cooking. And even
then, she relies on prepared sauces. She can do things like beef or pork
roast, turkey breast, grilled cheese. Simple things. Again, relying on
packets when possible. She is always astounded by me because I can look in
the fridge or cupboard and always come up with a meal. I think the only
seasoning she has in her house is Lawry's. Her baking is from packets too.
She just has no interest in cooking. But when she comes here, the first
thing she does is look in the fridge for leftovers. Heh. Her family consumes
a lot of yogurt, cereal and milk.

When we shop, we have few similar things in our carts. Maybe a tomato. Her
daughter eats raw tomatoes on salad.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 07:07 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-02-17 1:29 p.m., songbird wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

>>> The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
>>> computers. Do you think food is any different?

>> yes, by a long ways.
>>
>> most people eat a lot more over-processed foods
>> than they used to.
>>
>> his point is well supported by reading labels
>> in the pasta sauce aisle in a normal grocery store.

> We don't buy many processed or prepared foods. We tend to cook from
> scratch with fresh or frozen foods and some canned goods. I had tried
> some prepared pasta sauces and was never impressed. A couple minutes of
> chopping and sauteeing and then adding a jar of passata is usually better
> than anything commercially prepared and sold in a jar or can. A while ago
> I was introduced to the organic marinara sauce at Costco. I usually have
> some on hand and sometimes wonder if that little bit of work I go to is
> worth it.
>

>> it's not just pasta sauce, but almost every item
>> inside the aisles (around the edges you find dairy,
>> meats, fruits and veggies).
>>

> There are entire aisles of grocery stores I rarely even walk down except
> as a short cut. For instance, most of the grocery stores around here have
> a frozen foods section with pizzas, lasagna, meatballs and other various
> Italian entrees, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, waffles etc. Every once in
> a while I have to make a point of checking them out just so I know what is
> available.

I used to rarely ever go down the frozen food aisles and was always shocked
at some of the things I'd see. Like a tiny bag of cooked brown rice for a
lot of money. A bag of raw chicken or hamburger patties.

I do buy some now. I rarely eat them but Angela loves chicken nuggets/strips
so I keep a bag in case she stops by at meal time. And QFC/Fred Meyer has a
line of frozen meals that even Bruce would like. Beans and vegetables with
brown rice. They are not very large and wouldn't be very filling but my
gardener likes them as a snack. I used to rarely buy frozen veggies because
for the most part, I don't like them but he was eating those too. I do like
the bell pepper strips from TJ's. Need to get more. Far cheaper than buying
fresh peppers this time of year.

For myself, I buy Tina's bean and cheese burritos from the Walmart food
center. 38 cents each. I'm sure Bruce wouldn't approve of those but I do
like them and you can't get a cheaper meal unless perhaps it's Ramen and I
just won't go there. Yeah, I can make a burrito but sometimes I have no
tortillas.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 07:30 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 Gary wrote:
>>penmart01 wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps they've improved some but the last time I tried jarred pasta
>>> sauce has to be twenty years ago and it was awful.

>>The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
>>computers. Do you think food is any different?

> Yes, food has greatly deteriorated, along with taste expectations...
> most people nowadays think shit tastes wonderful, their taste buds
> have migrated to their rectum... eat enough fast food you too will
> contract chronic TIAD.

You are right there. I know people who LOVE food from places like Applebees
and Olive Garden.

I used to like dining out when salad bars were common. I don't even like the
few salad bars that I find now. The stuff they put out now is for the most
part pre-cut or prepared, like pasta salad. Soup is often Campbell's. Not
much is made from scratch. I don't to pay for that stuff and suffer through
it.

> Restaurant food was better 20 years ago... was much better 60 years
> ago.... even your favorite Golden Arches burger was far better
> quality way back when it cost 15¢.

I don't know about 20 years ago. Maybe. But even then a lot of that was
Sysco. But it did seem that there were a few more restaurants that cooked
from scratch. Now in this area, chains abound. Not my thing. I used to like
Shari's. A local chain. Not any more. Now they have Tater Tots on the menu.
And they even screw those up!

<snip>

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 07:32 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> have migrated to their rectum... eat enough fast food you too will
>> contract chronic TIAD.

> I think that some fruits and vegetables tasted better. Maybe I was spoiled
> by having a vegetable garden and ate lots of tomatoes and beans fresh from
> the garden and they had much nice flavour than the stuff we buy these
> days. Ketchup used to be thick and rich. The old ketchup commercials
> used to use the song "Anticipation" to demonstrate how thick it was. Now
> they have bottles with the dispenser on the bottom so it runs out easily
> and you don't notice how thin ans sloppy it is.
>

>> Restaurant food was better 20 years ago... was much better 60 years
>> ago.... even your favorite Golden Arches burger was far better
>> quality way back when it cost 15¢.

> I don't really count McDs as a restaurant. I never liked their food. I
> think restaurants are infinitely better than they used to be. Most mom
> and pop places didn't have chefs or even good cooks. They were burger
> flippers and deep fryers. Most places had the same old dinner food,
> hamburgers, dries, onion rings, tuna salad, BLTs, westerns, (canned) soups
> and hot roast beef or turkey. The more expensive places were, at best,
> good home cooking. There are a lot more decent places these days and
> they sell much better and much more diverse foods, and the food is usually
> prepared by trained cooks.
>

>> Truth is when you bought a computer 20 years ago it ran for twenty
>> years. Today computers have lots more technology but you're lucky if
>> they last 2 years. I knew right away that computer longiviety was
>> going downhill fast when their steel cabinets and chasssis became
>> plastic.

> The real truth is that if you got a new computer 30 years ago it would be
> obsolete within two years. My first PC was an XT with a 20 meg hard drive
> that cost me $430 and made me the envy of my computer geek friends who
> were still using floppy discs to boot up with DOS. You can now get USB
> sticks with about a million times the capacity for about $20, and hard
> drives usually crashed within 2-3 years.
>

>> I remember flying TWA, their Tourest Class was more posh than today's
>> First Class, and air travel meals were superb

> True. The treatment was much better. However, the airlines are in hot
> competition and running on a very narrow profit margin. My good friend is
> a retired airline pilot and he says that the cost of running an airline
> are so high it is amazing that they don't all go broke.
>
> Air fare is cheap these days. It used to be unaffordable for most people
> now entire families fly on vacation. When I was a teen I knew a lot of
> people who would drive to Florida for a winter vacation. It would take 2-3
> days of driving each way, and that mean hotels and restaurant meals along
> the way. It's cheaper for them to fly now, and they get to spend more time
> at their destination. Most people can cope with a couple hours in the air

Airplanes now are buses with wings.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 07:34 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 1:26:27 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Julie, I was talking RV's and at 5 gallons, he'd just dump the water
>> > that had no more than a little ivory soap or something added.

>> You expect a person who does work that gets him dirty and sweaty all day
>> take a 5 gallon shower? I don't think so. There's a real shower, sink and
>> toilet in the house and the house is very close to the back house.
>>

> Our resident moron apparently doesn't have a clue about taking a shower in
> motorhome.

No and I don't want to.

>> I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs to and
>> he
>> has a water dispenser for drinking.
>>

> But she's willing to buy cheap baby wipes and think dozens of them will
> get him
> cleaner or as clean as a shower. Somewhere some village is missing their
> idiot
> and she's landed here. Aren't we lucky?

That's not what I said at all. We have two full bathrooms in my house but
there are times when one might want to clean their hands and is not near a
sink. So... Baby wipes. I even keep some near my computer.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 08:46 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:53:11 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> In what way is that better or worse?

>>It is suspected to cause heart problems in diabetics and the way it is
>>processed in the body, it can lead to obesity, more so than sugar. But
>>corn
>>is abundant here so it's cheaper to use.

> And probably GM corn.

Not probably. It is.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 18-02-2019 12:17 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 9:04:36 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:53:11 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> >> In what way is that better or worse?

> >It is suspected to cause heart problems in diabetics and the way it is
> >processed in the body, it can lead to obesity, more so than sugar. But corn
> >is abundant here so it's cheaper to use.

> And probably GM corn.

It's just just that it's abundant, but that there are substantial
government subsidies to grow corn. Mainly, of course, benefiting
large corporations like Archer Daniels Midland rather than the small
farmer.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce[_28_] 18-02-2019 12:43 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 03:17:48 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 9:04:36 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:53:11 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >It is suspected to cause heart problems in diabetics and the way it is
>> >processed in the body, it can lead to obesity, more so than sugar. But corn
>> >is abundant here so it's cheaper to use.

>> And probably GM corn.

>It's just just that it's abundant, but that there are substantial
>government subsidies to grow corn. Mainly, of course, benefiting
>large corporations like Archer Daniels Midland rather than the small
>farmer.

America should be given back to the people, rather than the big
corporations. As should every other country. But it will never happen.

Ophelia[_16_] 18-02-2019 01:19 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

"dsi1" wrote in message

Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

===

So? Come on? What is is????

S Viemeister[_2_] 18-02-2019 02:53 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2/18/2019 2:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> And probably GM corn.

> Not probably. It is.

Even admits it on the label.

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 18-02-2019 03:44 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2/18/2019 1:32 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> [...]

>>> I remember flying TWA, their Tourest Class was more posh than today's
>>> First Class, and air travel meals were superb

>> True. The treatment was much better. However, the airlines are in hot
>> competition and running on a very narrow profit margin. My good friend
>> is a retired airline pilot and he says that the cost of running an
>> airline are so high it is amazing that they don't all go broke.
>>
>> Air fare is cheap these days. It used to be unaffordable for most
>> people now entire families fly on vacation.Â* When I was a teen I knew
>> a lot of people who would drive to Florida for a winter vacation. It
>> would take 2-3 days of driving each way, and that mean hotels and
>> restaurant meals along the way. It's cheaper for them to fly now, and
>> they get to spend more time at their destination.Â* Most people can
>> cope with a couple hours in the air without having to have a meal.

Buses are more comfortable though.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 18-02-2019 04:11 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 9:10:13 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

> Very nice looking dish, Dsi1! I'm surprised they didn't have a
> layer of rice underneath but oh well. What a variety of things,
> textures and tastes. If that tasted as good as it looks, near the
> end of the meal I would have ordered another of the same for
> take-out and a repeat for dinner the next night at home.
>
> I always order large when getting take-out from a good Chinese
> restaurant. Always enough for 2 meals and 2-3 smaller snacks.
> Most times, I'll buy early from the reduced price "lunch menu"
> that all of them have here. Same portions of food, just cost less
> before 4pm or so.

I'm the opposite. I don't like to have Chinese leftovers. The
vegetables are perfectly cooked for only a few minutes. I never
want more than I can eat at one sitting. That's why we like to
go out for lunch: the portions are smaller and we can make it
through the entire serving. If we have a nice, leisurely dinner,
sometimes the vegetables are overcooked from sitting in the hot
sauce right there in the restaurant.

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia[_16_] 18-02-2019 07:49 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

"Gary" wrote in message ...

dsi1 wrote:

> Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

Very nice looking dish, Dsi1! I'm surprised they didn't have a
layer of rice underneath but oh well. What a variety of things,
textures and tastes. If that tasted as good as it looks, near the
end of the meal I would have ordered another of the same for
take-out and a repeat for dinner the next night at home.

I always order large when getting take-out from a good Chinese
restaurant. Always enough for 2 meals and 2-3 smaller snacks.
Most times, I'll buy early from the reduced price "lunch menu"
that all of them have here. Same portions of food, just cost less
before 4pm or so.

-==

I thought his food looked lovely. I just wanted to know what it was and a
recipe:))

Bruce[_28_] 18-02-2019 07:52 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 10:32:58 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 10:58:04 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:33:59 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >The only folks, besides Orientals, that I see eating with chopsticks are the
>> >locals trying to impress other diners. Chopsticks do not make the food taste
>> >any better than using a fork nor does it make your dining experience any better.

>> Actualy chopsticks make for much more quiet and polite dining, there's
>> no clanking of metal and no one hacking off chunks that don't fit
>> their mouths so are forced to chew with an open mouth.
>>

>Where are you eating your Chinese meal?? At the local jail house? At any of
>numerous Chinese restaurants I've eaten at there are no clanking and banging
>and slamming of metal utensils on the table or on the dishes.
>>
>> I don't think so, lots of round eyes use chopsticks, especially those
>> living in the Orient. We can both handle chopsticks as well as anyone
>> and often eat with them at home.
>>

>How nice. How pretentious.

Eating with chopsticks is pretentious? How redneck. I bet you use your
hands.

[email protected][_2_] 18-02-2019 07:52 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 12:40:03 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 1:33:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > How nice. How pretentious.

> I don't consider it pretentious. Yesterday I made stir fry
> at home; we ate it with forks because it was convenient to grab
> them out of the drawer. Last week we went to a Chinese
> restaurant and used chopsticks because that's what happened to
> be on the table.

I know each restaurant in each area is different. The Chinese restaurants here
give you a fork but if you ask for chopsticks they will bring them to you.
No utensils are on the table until a customer is seated.

> I'm a tool user. Should I learn to use a screwdriver but not
> a hammer?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Don't be silly.

[email protected][_2_] 18-02-2019 07:56 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 12:52:19 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> Eating with chopsticks is pretentious? How redneck. I bet you use your
> hands.

Don't be stupid. There is no need to eat with chopsticks at home or in a Chinese
restaurant unless you want to show off your 'skills.'

I bet you cut up your food using the 'ham fisted' method.

cshenk 18-02-2019 08:03 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>
> The way it read was that you were telling me to get such a thing. And
> "neat"? Haven't heard that in ages.

Then you read it wrong. NO ONE TOLD YOU TO GET ANYTHING.

Bruce[_28_] 18-02-2019 08:06 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 10:56:38 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 12:52:19 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Eating with chopsticks is pretentious? How redneck. I bet you use your
>> hands.
>>

>Don't be stupid. There is no need to eat with chopsticks at home or in a Chinese
>restaurant unless you want to show off your 'skills.'

But why is eating with chopsticks showing off? It's just an
alternative. I only do it in "Oriental" restaurants, but if someone
does it at home, so what?

>I bet you cut up your food using the 'ham fisted' method.

Yes, that tenderizes it too.

cshenk 18-02-2019 08:09 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

wrote:

> On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 1:26:27 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > Julie, I was talking RV's and at 5 gallons, he'd just dump the
> > > water that had no more than a little ivory soap or something
> > > added.

> > You expect a person who does work that gets him dirty and sweaty
> > all day to take a 5 gallon shower? I don't think so. There's a real
> > shower, sink and toilet in the house and the house is very close to
> > the back house.
> >

> Our resident moron apparently doesn't have a clue about taking a
> shower in a motorhome.
> >
> > I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs
> > to and he has a water dispenser for drinking.
> >

> But she's willing to buy cheap baby wipes and think dozens of them
> will get him cleaner or as clean as a shower. Somewhere some village
> is missing their idiot and she's landed here. Aren't we lucky?

It's almost a bit scary. We were talking RV stuff and she glomered on
to make it all about her and seemed to object if he were to buy himself
a small portable 5G hot water type he could use to wash a few dishes or
do whatever with. WTF?

Bruce[_28_] 18-02-2019 08:32 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 13:09:57 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

wrote:

>> On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 1:26:27 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> > You expect a person who does work that gets him dirty and sweaty
>> > all day to take a 5 gallon shower? I don't think so. There's a real
>> > shower, sink and toilet in the house and the house is very close to
>> > the back house.
>> >

>> Our resident moron apparently doesn't have a clue about taking a
>> shower in a motorhome.
>> >
>> > I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs
>> > to and he has a water dispenser for drinking.
>> >

>> But she's willing to buy cheap baby wipes and think dozens of them
>> will get him cleaner or as clean as a shower. Somewhere some village
>> is missing their idiot and she's landed here. Aren't we lucky?

>It's almost a bit scary. We were talking RV stuff and she glomered on
>to make it all about her and seemed to object if he were to buy himself
>a small portable 5G hot water type he could use to wash a few dishes or
>do whatever with. WTF?

Calm down, cshenk. You'll only get more confused.

[email protected][_2_] 18-02-2019 08:40 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 1:10:05 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Our resident moron apparently doesn't have a clue about taking a
> > shower in a motorhome.
> > >
> > > I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs
> > > to and he has a water dispenser for drinking.
> > >

> > But she's willing to buy cheap baby wipes and think dozens of them
> > will get him cleaner or as clean as a shower. Somewhere some village
> > is missing their idiot and she's landed here. Aren't we lucky?

> It's almost a bit scary. We were talking RV stuff and she glomered on
> to make it all about her and seemed to object if he were to buy himself
> a small portable 5G hot water type he could use to wash a few dishes or
> do whatever with. WTF?

You hit the nail on the head when you stated "to make it all about her." But
in two years she'll deny she ever said anything about RV's, showers, or baby
wipes.

I've been watching some YouTube videos about the T@B (TAB) teardrop trailers.
Many different styles with inside or outside kitchens, with or without bath-
rooms, with or without solar panels. The amenities are quite varied for these
type of campers.

[email protected][_2_] 18-02-2019 08:41 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 1:32:15 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 13:09:57 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >It's almost a bit scary. We were talking RV stuff and she glomered on
> >to make it all about her and seemed to object if he were to buy himself
> >a small portable 5G hot water type he could use to wash a few dishes or
> >do whatever with. WTF?

> Calm down, cshenk. You'll only get more confused.

Butt out. We'll jerk your chain when it's feeding time.

Bruce[_28_] 18-02-2019 08:43 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 11:41:07 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 1:32:15 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 13:09:57 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>> >It's almost a bit scary. We were talking RV stuff and she glomered on
>> >to make it all about her and seemed to object if he were to buy himself
>> >a small portable 5G hot water type he could use to wash a few dishes or
>> >do whatever with. WTF?

>> Calm down, cshenk. You'll only get more confused.
>>

>Butt out.

Don't butt in.

>We'll jerk your chain when it's feeding time.

Chain jerking is typical troll behaviour.

Bruce[_28_] 18-02-2019 08:44 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 11:40:17 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 1:10:05 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Our resident moron apparently doesn't have a clue about taking a
>> > shower in a motorhome.

>> > But she's willing to buy cheap baby wipes and think dozens of them
>> > will get him cleaner or as clean as a shower. Somewhere some village
>> > is missing their idiot and she's landed here. Aren't we lucky?

>> It's almost a bit scary. We were talking RV stuff and she glomered on
>> to make it all about her and seemed to object if he were to buy himself
>> a small portable 5G hot water type he could use to wash a few dishes or
>> do whatever with. WTF?
>>

>You hit the nail on the head when you stated "to make it all about her." But
>in two years she'll deny she ever said anything about RV's, showers, or baby
>wipes.
>
>I've been watching some YouTube videos about the T@B (TAB) teardrop trailers.
>Many different styles with inside or outside kitchens, with or without bath-
>rooms, with or without solar panels. The amenities are quite varied for these
>type of campers.

Interesting. Tell us more.

cshenk 18-02-2019 08:45 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

wrote:

> On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:23:03 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:24:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese
> > > food:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

> > What is it, it doesn't look like any Chinese food I've ever seen...
> > pieces are too big and sloppily arranged... and why the fork,
> > Chinese eat with chopsticks.
> >

> Every Chinese restaurant, fancy and expensive or plain and cheap, are
> ALL going to be different. Not a single one of food items will look
> the same; similar maybe, but not the same.
>
> The only folks, besides Orientals, that I see eating with chopsticks
> are the locals trying to impress other diners. Chopsticks do not
> make the food taste any better than using a fork nor does it make
> your dining experience any better.

Chopsticks are like the ambiance of the room. You can have a dark
dingy place with linoleum tables, or you can eat at someplace wih a
nice outdoor table. You can taste food the same on a fork as a
chopstick, but some prefer a little fun in their life.

Feel free to use a fork if you like but I will use whatever is easier
for the dish at hand.

[email protected] 18-02-2019 08:58 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 09:50:21 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 12:14:11 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> On 2/18/2019 11:57 AM, wrote:
>> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:33:59 -0800 (PST), "

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

>> > Actualy chopsticks make for much more quiet and polite dining, there's
>> > no clanking of metal and no one hacking off chunks that don't fit
>> > their mouths so are forced to chew with an open mouth.
>> >

>> Then why did you question the fork on the plate?!
>>
>> > However Chinese cooks prepare food in smallish bite size pieces making
>> > it easy to eat with chopsticks... I've eaten at more Chinese
>> > restaurants than I can count, none have set the table with knives.
>> >

>> Oh, you know all about this do you? From eating in a few
>> Chinese-American restaurants over the years?
>>
>> Not all Chinese food is stir-fry.
>>
>> Jill

>True. But even braises are chopped up in the kitchen to enable
>the diner to use his chopsticks.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Thank you, Cindy. Chinese cooks ALWAYS prepare food so it can be
eaten with chop sticks. I've not even once been served a meal with a
knife, it's a spoon, and chop sticks or a fork. And most braised
dishes begin with the ingredients being briefly stir fried, and then
sauced but only braised long enough for the sauce to thicken, it's not
a stew... vegetables end up barely cooked. Meats are typically oven
roasted, removed from the bone and diced bite sized. Spare ribs are
separated between the bones after cooking and each rib becomes finger
food. Chicken/Peking duck arrives deboned and cut bite sized. Egg
rolls are sliced on the diagonal into two or three pieces and can be
eaten with chop sticks or a fork as one chooses. In Chinatowns the
Chinese patrons are served in covered tureens but are given bowls
rather than plates, they take what they want from the tureens and eat
from bowls with chopsticks, very efficient way to eat quickly... they
hold the bowl to their mouth and scrape the food in with chopsticks,
as fast as humanly possible... there's no talking while they eat.

Some restaurants are advertised as Chinese but there are no Chinese
working there, the kitchen staff is usually Hispanic, mainly Puerto
Rican and they don't adhere to Chinese cooking rules, you ask for
flied lice and you get white rice with pigeon peas and a bottle of hot
sauce. An awful lot of Chinese migrated to Central America... but be
careful what you order at their [Chinese] restuarants... my father in
law would only order dishes with shrimp as the meat, otherwise you get
roast rat/gibnut.

Dave Smith[_1_] 18-02-2019 09:08 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2019-02-18 1:56 p.m., wrote:
> On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 12:52:19 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Eating with chopsticks is pretentious? How redneck. I bet you use your
>> hands.
>>

> Don't be stupid. There is no need to eat with chopsticks at home or in a Chinese
> restaurant unless you want to show off your 'skills.'
>
> I bet you cut up your food using the 'ham fisted' method.

Beats the heck out of me why someone who normally eats with a knife an
fork would use chop sticks only when they eat Asian food.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 18-02-2019 09:29 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 3:08:17 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-18 1:56 p.m., wrote:
> > On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 12:52:19 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> Eating with chopsticks is pretentious? How redneck. I bet you use your
> >> hands.
> >>

> > Don't be stupid. There is no need to eat with chopsticks at home or in a Chinese
> > restaurant unless you want to show off your 'skills.'
> >
> > I bet you cut up your food using the 'ham fisted' method.
> >

> Beats the heck out of me why someone who normally eats with a knife an
> fork would use chop sticks only when they eat Asian food.

What about someone who normally eats with whatever is convenient
and appropriate to the food being consumed? I'd never approach
a whole steak with chopsticks, but see no reason not to use them
when they're right on the table at the Chinese restaurant.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce[_28_] 18-02-2019 10:30 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:26:29 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-18 3:29 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Beats the heck out of me why someone who normally eats with a knife an
>>> fork would use chop sticks only when they eat Asian food.

>> What about someone who normally eats with whatever is convenient
>> and appropriate to the food being consumed? I'd never approach
>> a whole steak with chopsticks, but see no reason not to use them
>> when they're right on the table at the Chinese restaurant.

>Sure... if you know how to use them. But they also do it with take out.
>They buy the food at the restaurant and take it home and they are likely
>right in their kitchen getting the food out, so there are knives and
>forks at hand. The think is, they tend to do it only with Asian foods.

It shouldn't be allowed. It's a threat to the moral fiber of society!

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 18-02-2019 10:43 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 4:24:45 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-18 3:29 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Beats the heck out of me why someone who normally eats with a knife an
> >> fork would use chop sticks only when they eat Asian food.

> > What about someone who normally eats with whatever is convenient
> > and appropriate to the food being consumed? I'd never approach
> > a whole steak with chopsticks, but see no reason not to use them
> > when they're right on the table at the Chinese restaurant.

> Sure... if you know how to use them. But they also do it with take out.
> They buy the food at the restaurant and take it home and they are likely
> right in their kitchen getting the food out, so there are knives and
> forks at hand. The think is, they tend to do it only with Asian foods.

I'd use the chopsticks. They're right there, and I paid for
them (indirectly). May as well use them.

I've used chopsticks with scrambled eggs, but only when I was
learning to use them.

Cindy Hamilton

[email protected] 18-02-2019 11:31 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 10:56:38 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 12:52:19 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Eating with chopsticks is pretentious? How redneck. I bet you use your
>> hands.
>>

>Don't be stupid. There is no need to eat with chopsticks at home or in a Chinese
>restaurant unless you want to show off your 'skills.'

Show off what skills... a lot more people on this planet eat with
chopsticks than with forks. I think it requires more skill to eat
with a knife and fork.

Boron Elgar[_1_] 18-02-2019 11:35 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:26:29 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-18 3:29 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Beats the heck out of me why someone who normally eats with a knife an
>>> fork would use chop sticks only when they eat Asian food.

>> What about someone who normally eats with whatever is convenient
>> and appropriate to the food being consumed? I'd never approach
>> a whole steak with chopsticks, but see no reason not to use them
>> when they're right on the table at the Chinese restaurant.

>Sure... if you know how to use them. But they also do it with take out.
>They buy the food at the restaurant and take it home and they are likely
>right in their kitchen getting the food out, so there are knives and
>forks at hand. The think is, they tend to do it only with Asian foods.

When I had infants nursing, I ate with chopsticks all the time. It was
much more convenient for me than a fork.

To this day, I use chopsticks quite frequently, though the kids are
all in their 30s now, and needless to say, long ago weaned.....

dsi1[_2_] 18-02-2019 11:40 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 4:23:03 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:24:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> You'd think people come to RFC so they can learn, share, eat better.
> >> You get needled quite a bit for posting ingredients, but, it shows why
> >> we should do real cooking unless you want to join rec.junkfood.chemicals.
> >>
> >> Today I'm making dinner for six and there won't be any chemicals. Beef,
> >> sweet potatoes, green beans. Butter, salt, pepper, garlic. Wine, iced
> >> tea, lemon.
> >>
> >> Sure, I eat junk at times, but very limited.

> >Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

> What is it, it doesn't look like any Chinese food I've ever seen...
> pieces are too big and sloppily arranged... and why the fork, Chinese
> eat with chopsticks.

Our Chinese food is probably different from your Chinese food. I don't think I've ever eaten Chinese food on the mainland. It might be sloppy but that's because I dished it out like that. The pieces are big but I thought they were just right.

As far as the fork goes, that's the second time that has happened to us. I blame it on the waitress. She's a young gal and obviously green to the game.. She needs a lot more experience. People here expect to use chopstick when eating Chinese food - unless you're 6 years old or something. The sharp waitress will only ask if people want a fork if they sense the diners are not local. Everyone in the joint was local. Outsiders would stick out like a sore thumb in that place.