FoodBanter.com

-   -   Chef Boyardee Throwback (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445823-chef-boyardee-throwback.html)

[email protected] 17-02-2019 03:36 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 09:25:23 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>cshenk wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
>>> vegetable.

>> Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
>> has sugar added at all.

> the easiest tomato soup from almost scratch is
>a tiny can of tomato paste (which if you get a
>decent brand is tomato only). then you can add
>whatever spices and thickeners you want (or none
>at all) and adjust the other liquids to taste.
>
> some people may taste the umami from tomatoes
>as sweet too (not all people are alike in how
>they taste/smell things).
>
> songbird

For me the best tomato soup is to blend a 6 oz can of tomato paste
with 2 1/2 cans of water, add a couple three drops of tobasco, a wee
pinch of celery salt and pour into a tall glass filled with ice until
half full, then top off with Crystal Palace vodka and add a celery
stick for stirring... add wooster to taste.

For me the only real tomato soup is the tomatoey broth from a pot of
sweet & sour stuffed cabbage... sweet is some raisins, sour is the
juice of one lemon, secret ingredient is a small can of V8.

I've never tasted any canned tomato soup even worth doctoring.

Roy[_4_] 17-02-2019 04:36 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 1:05:42 AM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister

> >> I got it from he
> >>
> >> <http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>

> >Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

> In what way is that better or worse?

It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
as to how BAD it was.
Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.
=====

Gary 17-02-2019 05:10 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

Roy wrote:

> It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
> as to how BAD it was.
> Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
> Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.

Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 05:55 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 08:08:00 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 2/17/2019 3:05 AM, Bruce wrote:
>
>>> Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

>> In what way is that better or worse?
>>

>I believe it saves them money. Accountants, rather than chefs, make
>decisions like that.

Yes, such is the food industry.

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 05:56 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 04:18:47 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 7:26:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> >

>> We're fortunate here. Those others miss out on the Monopotassium
>> Phosphate.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopotassium_phosphate
>> Monopotassium phosphate, MKP, (also potassium dihydrogenphosphate, KDP,
>> or monobasic potassium phosphate), KH2PO4, is a soluble salt of
>> potassium and the dihydrogen phosphate ion which is used as a
>> fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. It is a source of
>> phosphorus and potassium. It is also a buffering agent. When used in
>> fertilizer mixtures with urea and ammonium phosphates, it minimizes
>> escape of ammonia by keeping the acidity at a relatively low level.

>It probably tastes better than bicarbonate of soda, which many people
>add to their homemade tomato-based recipes to control the acid level.

I've never heard of that.

Gary 17-02-2019 05:57 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

wrote:

> Perhaps they've improved some but the last time I tried jarred pasta
> sauce has to be twenty years ago and it was awful.

The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
computers. Do you think food is any different?

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 05:57 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 08:36:40 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

>On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 1:05:42 AM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

>> In what way is that better or worse?

>It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
>as to how BAD it was.
>Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
>Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.
>=====

Well, who on earth wants sugar of any other sweetener added to a
pizza. 6 year olds?

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 05:57 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 12:10:29 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Roy wrote:
>>
>> It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
>> as to how BAD it was.
>> Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
>> Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.

>Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
>moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
>mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

Because it has no place on a pizza.

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 06:00 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 03:14:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I wonder the sweetness comes from tomato paste. We reheated some
>>> leftover pasta sauce the other day. We had just got our new fridge
>>> and had cleaned out the freezer. There had been two half cans of
>>> tomato paste in there and I added one of them to the sauce. It was
>>> not just a richer tomato flavour to the sauce. It was much sweeter.

>> Dunno but Bruce as usual is being an asshole. Campbells old fashioned
>> vegetable: No added sugar (no hiddent HFCS).

>He said Vegetarian Vegetable. Not sure where he looked but the Canadian
>version does contain sugar. Ours doesn't.

I wasn't just talking about vegetarian. Besides, no sugar but HFCS.
Same difference.

cshenk 17-02-2019 06:01 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

Gary wrote:

> Roy wrote:
> >
> > It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff
> > and then complain as to how BAD it was.
> > Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
> > Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.

> Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
> moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
> mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

As Charlotte is dieting to lose just a little for the Navy, we got
indunated by well meaning but clueless people on Keto Diets. It's the
new mellenial thing. The idea is you can eat 3,000 calories a day (ok,
exagurating) but if none are carbs you ose weight.

Sorry, it's not that easy. If you take in 3,000 calories a day and burn
off only 2,000 then you will gain weight. If you take in 2,000 a day
and burn off 3,000 a day, you will lose weight.

'Keto diets' work by reducing your total calories just like any other
once you work the math out. They mostly remove the calories from carbs
and leave the rest the same.

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 06:28 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 12:57:04 -0500, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> Perhaps they've improved some but the last time I tried jarred pasta
>> sauce has to be twenty years ago and it was awful.

>The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
>computers. Do you think food is any different?

Computers are a recent invention. Food isn't.

songbird 17-02-2019 06:29 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

Gary wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps they've improved some but the last time I tried jarred pasta
>> sauce has to be twenty years ago and it was awful.

> The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
> computers. Do you think food is any different?

yes, by a long ways.

most people eat a lot more over-processed foods
than they used to.

his point is well supported by reading labels
in the pasta sauce aisle in a normal grocery store.

it's not just pasta sauce, but almost every item
inside the aisles (around the edges you find dairy,
meats, fruits and veggies).

songbird

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 17-02-2019 06:42 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2/17/2019 12:10 PM, Gary wrote:
> Roy wrote:
>>
>> It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
>> as to how BAD it was.
>> Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
>> Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.

> Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
> moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
> mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

In a tomato sauce it is lost and makes no difference. HFCS is cheap so
they use that over cane sugar. With ice cream and some soda, cane sugar
is superior because of the flavor.

Sugars are often added to make things taste sweeter and sell more
product. It just does not belong in some places in any form. Many food
processors are truly evil with ingredients not needed except to enhance
profit.

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 06:51 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:42:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/17/2019 12:10 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Roy wrote:
>>>
>>> It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
>>> as to how BAD it was.
>>> Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
>>> Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.

>> Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
>> moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
>> mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.
>>

>In a tomato sauce it is lost and makes no difference. HFCS is cheap so
>they use that over cane sugar. With ice cream and some soda, cane sugar
>is superior because of the flavor.
>
>Sugars are often added to make things taste sweeter and sell more
>product. It just does not belong in some places in any form. Many food
>processors are truly evil with ingredients not needed except to enhance
>profit.

But people in RFC often hate it when you point that out. They'd rather
not know.

Dave Smith[_1_] 17-02-2019 07:04 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2019-02-17 1:29 p.m., songbird wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps they've improved some but the last time I tried jarred pasta
>>> sauce has to be twenty years ago and it was awful.

>> The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
>> computers. Do you think food is any different?

> yes, by a long ways.
>
> most people eat a lot more over-processed foods
> than they used to.
>
> his point is well supported by reading labels
> in the pasta sauce aisle in a normal grocery store.

We don't buy many processed or prepared foods. We tend to cook from
scratch with fresh or frozen foods and some canned goods. I had tried
some prepared pasta sauces and was never impressed. A couple minutes of
chopping and sauteeing and then adding a jar of passata is usually
better than anything commercially prepared and sold in a jar or can. A
while ago I was introduced to the organic marinara sauce at Costco. I
usually have some on hand and sometimes wonder if that little bit of
work I go to is worth it.

> it's not just pasta sauce, but almost every item
> inside the aisles (around the edges you find dairy,
> meats, fruits and veggies).

There are entire aisles of grocery stores I rarely even walk down except
as a short cut. For instance, most of the grocery stores around here
have a frozen foods section with pizzas, lasagna, meatballs and other
various Italian entrees, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, waffles etc.
Every once in a while I have to make a point of checking them out just
so I know what is available.

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 17-02-2019 07:53 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2/17/2019 1:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:42:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
>>> moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
>>> mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.
>>>

>> In a tomato sauce it is lost and makes no difference. HFCS is cheap so
>> they use that over cane sugar. With ice cream and some soda, cane sugar
>> is superior because of the flavor.
>>
>> Sugars are often added to make things taste sweeter and sell more
>> product. It just does not belong in some places in any form. Many food
>> processors are truly evil with ingredients not needed except to enhance
>> profit.

> But people in RFC often hate it when you point that out. They'd rather
> not know.

You'd think people come to RFC so they can learn, share, eat better.
You get needled quite a bit for posting ingredients, but, it shows why
we should do real cooking unless you want to join rec.junkfood.chemicals.

Today I'm making dinner for six and there won't be any chemicals. Beef,
sweet potatoes, green beans. Butter, salt, pepper, garlic. Wine, iced
tea, lemon.

Sure, I eat junk at times, but very limited.

Dave Smith[_1_] 17-02-2019 08:19 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2019-02-17 2:53 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/17/2019 1:51 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> In a tomato sauce it is lost and makes no difference.Â* HFCS is cheap so
>>> they use that over cane sugar.Â* With ice cream and some soda, cane sugar
>>> is superior because of the flavor.
>>>
>>> Sugars are often added to make things taste sweeter and sell more
>>> product.Â* It just does not belong in some places in any form.Â* Many food
>>> processors are truly evil with ingredients not needed except to enhance
>>> profit.

>> But people in RFC often hate it when you point that out. They'd rather
>> not know.
>>

> You'd think people come to RFC so they can learn, share, eat better. You
> get needled quite a bit for posting ingredients, but, it shows why we
> should do real cooking unless you want to join rec.junkfood.chemicals.
>
> Today I'm making dinner for six and there won't be any chemicals.Â* Beef,
> sweet potatoes, green beans.Â* Butter, salt, pepper, garlic.Â* Wine, iced
> tea, lemon.
>
> Sure, I eat junk at times, but very limited.

Our menu for the night is pretty well set. We are doing a prime rib of
beef, garlic mashed potatoes, beans, squash, gravy and Yorkshire
pudding. There will be some horse radish. Dessert is chocolate eclairs.
I made the choux baking yesterday and my wife has iced the tops and will
fill with whipped cream shortly. She will also be serving some of my
leftover Christmas fruit cake. We plan to have some wine with it. Other
than the wine and the horseradish, we will be preparing everything
ourselves. Ooops... I forgot the fresh rolls that we picked up at
the bakery this morning.

[email protected] 17-02-2019 08:34 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 Gary wrote:
>penmart01 wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps they've improved some but the last time I tried jarred pasta
>> sauce has to be twenty years ago and it was awful.

>The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
>computers. Do you think food is any different?

Yes, food has greatly deteriorated, along with taste expectations...
most people nowadays think shit tastes wonderful, their taste buds
have migrated to their rectum... eat enough fast food you too will
contract chronic TIAD.

Restaurant food was better 20 years ago... was much better 60 years
ago.... even your favorite Golden Arches burger was far better
quality way back when it cost 15¢.

I can still remember when house-made tube steak from a neighborhood
German butcher shop was better quality than what today's most
expensive steak houses serve. There will always be those who
willingly drop a C-note on a crappy steak dinner and rave about it no
end... The Emperor's New Clothes is timeless. Today people have grown
accustomed to air travel on a measly bag of peanuts. I remember
flying with a voluptuous stewardess bringing me a scrumptious meal...
I don't fly anymore, I don't want some faggot bringing me peanuts.

Truth is when you bought a computer 20 years ago it ran for twenty
years. Today computers have lots more technology but you're lucky if
they last 2 years. I knew right away that computer longiviety was
going downhill fast when their steel cabinets and chasssis became
plastic.

I remember flying TWA, their Tourest Class was more posh than today's
First Class, and air travel meals were superb

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 08:39 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 14:53:17 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/17/2019 1:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:42:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>>> In a tomato sauce it is lost and makes no difference. HFCS is cheap so
>>> they use that over cane sugar. With ice cream and some soda, cane sugar
>>> is superior because of the flavor.
>>>
>>> Sugars are often added to make things taste sweeter and sell more
>>> product. It just does not belong in some places in any form. Many food
>>> processors are truly evil with ingredients not needed except to enhance
>>> profit.

>> But people in RFC often hate it when you point that out. They'd rather
>> not know.
>>

>You'd think people come to RFC so they can learn, share, eat better.
>You get needled quite a bit for posting ingredients, but, it shows why
>we should do real cooking unless you want to join rec.junkfood.chemicals.
>
>Today I'm making dinner for six and there won't be any chemicals. Beef,
>sweet potatoes, green beans. Butter, salt, pepper, garlic. Wine, iced
>tea, lemon.
>
>Sure, I eat junk at times, but very limited.

Yes, it's different when you choose to eat junk occasionally, but many
people don't seem to realise that most prefab food is also junk.

[email protected] 17-02-2019 08:44 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:57:39 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 08:36:40 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 1:05:42 AM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> .. .

>>> In what way is that better or worse?

>>It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
>>as to how BAD it was.
>>Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
>>Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.
>>=====

>Well, who on earth wants sugar of any other sweetener added to a
>pizza. 6 year olds?

Tomatoes are fruit, and fruit contains a lot of sugar naturally. if
they are adding sugar then they are using unripened tasteless
cardboard tomatoes.

[email protected] 17-02-2019 08:48 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:57:57 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 12:10:29 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Roy wrote:
>>>
>>> It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
>>> as to how BAD it was.
>>> Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
>>> Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.

>>Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
>>moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
>>mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

>Because it has no place on a pizza.

Then you don't want tomato on your pizza, and some sugar is required
to feed the yeast.

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 08:50 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 15:34:58 -0500, wrote:

>Yes, food has greatly deteriorated, along with taste expectations...
>most people nowadays think shit tastes wonderful, their taste buds
>have migrated to their rectum... eat enough fast food you too will
>contract chronic TIAD.

What if you often inhale paint fumes? Does that protect you?

>Restaurant food was better 20 years ago... was much better 60 years
>ago.... even your favorite Golden Arches burger was far better
>quality way back when it cost 15¢.
>
>I can still remember when house-made tube steak from a neighborhood
>German butcher shop was better quality than what today's most
>expensive steak houses serve. There will always be those who
>willingly drop a C-note on a crappy steak dinner and rave about it no
>end... The Emperor's New Clothes is timeless. Today people have grown
>accustomed to air travel on a measly bag of peanuts.

That's a good thing considering so many people are overweight.

>I remember
>flying with a voluptuous stewardess bringing me a scrumptious meal...
>I don't fly anymore, I don't want some faggot bringing me peanuts.

lol

>Truth is when you bought a computer 20 years ago it ran for twenty
>years.

No. 20 years ago, a computer was obsolete much faster than these days.
The technology was improving and changing faster then.

>I remember flying TWA, their Tourest Class was more posh than today's
>First Class, and air travel meals were superb

Cattle class sucks. At least long distance and especially if you're
tall.

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 08:52 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 15:48:38 -0500, wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:57:57 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:

>>>Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
>>>moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
>>>mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

>>Because it has no place on a pizza.

>Then you don't want tomato on your pizza, and some sugar is required
>to feed the yeast.

I don't want added sweetener on my pizza. I don't mind that it's
naturally in ingredients. And I never need to feed yeast with sugar.

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 08:54 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 15:44:53 -0500, wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:57:39 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 08:36:40 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>>wrote:

>>>It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
>>>as to how BAD it was.
>>>Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
>>>Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.
>>>=====

>>Well, who on earth wants sugar of any other sweetener added to a
>>pizza. 6 year olds?

>Tomatoes are fruit, and fruit contains a lot of sugar naturally. if
>they are adding sugar then they are using unripened tasteless
>cardboard tomatoes.

Yes, they may be hiding something.

Dave Smith[_1_] 17-02-2019 09:35 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2019-02-17 3:34 p.m., wrote:

>> The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
>> computers. Do you think food is any different?

> Yes, food has greatly deteriorated, along with taste expectations...
> most people nowadays think shit tastes wonderful, their taste buds
> have migrated to their rectum... eat enough fast food you too will
> contract chronic TIAD.

I think that some fruits and vegetables tasted better. Maybe I was
spoiled by having a vegetable garden and ate lots of tomatoes and beans
fresh from the garden and they had much nice flavour than the stuff we
buy these days. Ketchup used to be thick and rich. The old ketchup
commercials used to use the song "Anticipation" to demonstrate how thick
it was. Now they have bottles with the dispenser on the bottom so it
runs out easily and you don't notice how thin ans sloppy it is.

> Restaurant food was better 20 years ago... was much better 60 years
> ago.... even your favorite Golden Arches burger was far better
> quality way back when it cost 15¢.

I don't really count McDs as a restaurant. I never liked their food. I
think restaurants are infinitely better than they used to be. Most mom
and pop places didn't have chefs or even good cooks. They were burger
flippers and deep fryers. Most places had the same old dinner food,
hamburgers, dries, onion rings, tuna salad, BLTs, westerns, (canned)
soups and hot roast beef or turkey. The more expensive places were, at
best, good home cooking. There are a lot more decent places these days
and they sell much better and much more diverse foods, and the food is
usually prepared by trained cooks.

> Truth is when you bought a computer 20 years ago it ran for twenty
> years. Today computers have lots more technology but you're lucky if
> they last 2 years. I knew right away that computer longiviety was
> going downhill fast when their steel cabinets and chasssis became
> plastic.

The real truth is that if you got a new computer 30 years ago it would
be obsolete within two years. My first PC was an XT with a 20 meg hard
drive that cost me $430 and made me the envy of my computer geek friends
who were still using floppy discs to boot up with DOS. You can now get
USB sticks with about a million times the capacity for about $20, and
hard drives usually crashed within 2-3 years.

> I remember flying TWA, their Tourest Class was more posh than today's
> First Class, and air travel meals were superb

True. The treatment was much better. However, the airlines are in hot
competition and running on a very narrow profit margin. My good friend
is a retired airline pilot and he says that the cost of running an
airline are so high it is amazing that they don't all go broke.

Air fare is cheap these days. It used to be unaffordable for most people
now entire families fly on vacation. When I was a teen I knew a lot of
people who would drive to Florida for a winter vacation. It would take
2-3 days of driving each way, and that mean hotels and restaurant meals
along the way. It's cheaper for them to fly now, and they get to spend
more time at their destination. Most people can cope with a couple
hours in the air without having to have a meal.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 17-02-2019 10:09 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 3:48:42 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:57:57 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:

> >>Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
> >>moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
> >>mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

> >Because it has no place on a pizza.

> Then you don't want tomato on your pizza, and some sugar is required
> to feed the yeast.

No sugar is required. I make pizza dough without sugar. The yeast
gets along fine with the carbs in the flour.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce[_28_] 17-02-2019 10:26 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 14:09:07 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 3:48:42 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:57:57 +1100, Bruce >
>> wrote:

>> >Because it has no place on a pizza.

>> Then you don't want tomato on your pizza, and some sugar is required
>> to feed the yeast.

>No sugar is required. I make pizza dough without sugar. The yeast
>gets along fine with the carbs in the flour.

Exactly. I think it's an old fashioned, unnecessary step to add sugar.

[email protected][_2_] 17-02-2019 11:53 PM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 1:26:27 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> >
> > Julie, I was talking RV's and at 5 gallons, he'd just dump the water
> > that had no more than a little ivory soap or something added.

> You expect a person who does work that gets him dirty and sweaty all day to
> take a 5 gallon shower? I don't think so. There's a real shower, sink and
> toilet in the house and the house is very close to the back house.

Our resident moron apparently doesn't have a clue about taking a shower in a
motorhome.

> I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs to and he
> has a water dispenser for drinking.

But she's willing to buy cheap baby wipes and think dozens of them will get him
cleaner or as clean as a shower. Somewhere some village is missing their idiot
and she's landed here. Aren't we lucky?

Hank Rogers[_2_] 18-02-2019 12:10 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

wrote:
> On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 1:26:27 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Julie, I was talking RV's and at 5 gallons, he'd just dump the water
>>> that had no more than a little ivory soap or something added.

>> You expect a person who does work that gets him dirty and sweaty all day to
>> take a 5 gallon shower? I don't think so. There's a real shower, sink and
>> toilet in the house and the house is very close to the back house.
>>

> Our resident moron apparently doesn't have a clue about taking a shower in a
> motorhome.
>>
>> I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs to and he
>> has a water dispenser for drinking.
>>

> But she's willing to buy cheap baby wipes and think dozens of them will get him
> cleaner or as clean as a shower. Somewhere some village is missing their idiot
> and she's landed here. Aren't we lucky?

Well, the gardener can't get too dirty ... he's only pruning her begonias.

[email protected][_2_] 18-02-2019 12:14 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 6:10:34 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > Somewhere some village is missing their idiot
> > and she's landed here. Aren't we lucky?
> >

> Well, the gardener can't get too dirty ... he's only pruning her begonias.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

U.S. Janet B. 18-02-2019 12:23 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 15:48:38 -0500, wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:57:57 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:

>>>Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
>>>moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
>>>mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

>>Because it has no place on a pizza.

>Then you don't want tomato on your pizza, and some sugar is required
>to feed the yeast.

no sugar required to feed the yeast

dsi1[_2_] 18-02-2019 01:24 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 9:53:23 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/17/2019 1:51 PM, Bruce wrote:

> >> In a tomato sauce it is lost and makes no difference. HFCS is cheap so
> >> they use that over cane sugar. With ice cream and some soda, cane sugar
> >> is superior because of the flavor.
> >>
> >> Sugars are often added to make things taste sweeter and sell more
> >> product. It just does not belong in some places in any form. Many food
> >> processors are truly evil with ingredients not needed except to enhance
> >> profit.

> > But people in RFC often hate it when you point that out. They'd rather
> > not know.
> >

> You'd think people come to RFC so they can learn, share, eat better.
> You get needled quite a bit for posting ingredients, but, it shows why
> we should do real cooking unless you want to join rec.junkfood.chemicals.
>
> Today I'm making dinner for six and there won't be any chemicals. Beef,
> sweet potatoes, green beans. Butter, salt, pepper, garlic. Wine, iced
> tea, lemon.
>
> Sure, I eat junk at times, but very limited.

Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

Bruce[_28_] 18-02-2019 01:49 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:24:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 9:53:23 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > But people in RFC often hate it when you point that out. They'd rather
>> > not know.
>> >

>> You'd think people come to RFC so they can learn, share, eat better.
>> You get needled quite a bit for posting ingredients, but, it shows why
>> we should do real cooking unless you want to join rec.junkfood.chemicals.
>>
>> Today I'm making dinner for six and there won't be any chemicals. Beef,
>> sweet potatoes, green beans. Butter, salt, pepper, garlic. Wine, iced
>> tea, lemon.
>>
>> Sure, I eat junk at times, but very limited.

>Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

My experience with the small Chinese restaurants in Sydney is that
they're great chefs and their food's very cheap. And I'll forgive them
the cockroaches if they and their excrements don't end up in the food.
But because they're so focused on cheap, their meat's the worst
industry meat, their vegetables are the cheapest probably GM
vegetables, their fish is dank basement grown basa and their prawns
are chicken manure fed from Asia.

I'd rather pay a bit more.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 01:51 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> big >>> > > > potful and freeze portions... would be a much better
>> product >>> > > > and would cost far less.

>> better >>> > > can opener.

>> better >>> > result.

>> > Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there?
>> > Neither has sugar added at all.

>> Nope. It's sickeningly sweet. Not likely sugar. More likely HFCS.

> Humm, ok apparently campbells tomato adds sugar? LOL, didn't know
> that. The Vegetarian Veggie one I have has no sugar added at all.

In this country its HFCS.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 01:53 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister

>>> I got it from he
>>>
>>> <http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>

>>Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

> In what way is that better or worse?

It is suspected to cause heart problems in diabetics and the way it is
processed in the body, it can lead to obesity, more so than sugar. But corn
is abundant here so it's cheaper to use.

Bruce[_28_] 18-02-2019 02:04 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:53:11 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

>> In what way is that better or worse?

>It is suspected to cause heart problems in diabetics and the way it is
>processed in the body, it can lead to obesity, more so than sugar. But corn
>is abundant here so it's cheaper to use.

And probably GM corn.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-02-2019 02:09 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 2/17/2019 1:51 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> In a tomato sauce it is lost and makes no difference. HFCS is cheap so
>>> they use that over cane sugar. With ice cream and some soda, cane sugar
>>> is superior because of the flavor.
>>>
>>> Sugars are often added to make things taste sweeter and sell more
>>> product. It just does not belong in some places in any form. Many food
>>> processors are truly evil with ingredients not needed except to enhance
>>> profit.

>> But people in RFC often hate it when you point that out. They'd rather
>> not know.
>>

> You'd think people come to RFC so they can learn, share, eat better. You
> get needled quite a bit for posting ingredients, but, it shows why we
> should do real cooking unless you want to join rec.junkfood.chemicals.
>
> Today I'm making dinner for six and there won't be any chemicals. Beef,
> sweet potatoes, green beans. Butter, salt, pepper, garlic. Wine, iced
> tea, lemon.
>
> Sure, I eat junk at times, but very limited.

I screwed up! What I took out of the freezer was not bean soup at all but
beef stew. Grrr... So I am cooking some small red beans. I cooked rice
yesterday. Will make a salad with bacon in it. People can pick and choose
what they eat. Pot roast tomorrow.

[email protected] 18-02-2019 02:23 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:24:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 9:53:23 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > But people in RFC often hate it when you point that out. They'd rather
>> > not know.
>> >

>> You'd think people come to RFC so they can learn, share, eat better.
>> You get needled quite a bit for posting ingredients, but, it shows why
>> we should do real cooking unless you want to join rec.junkfood.chemicals.
>>
>> Today I'm making dinner for six and there won't be any chemicals. Beef,
>> sweet potatoes, green beans. Butter, salt, pepper, garlic. Wine, iced
>> tea, lemon.
>>
>> Sure, I eat junk at times, but very limited.

>Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

What is it, it doesn't look like any Chinese food I've ever seen...
pieces are too big and sloppily arranged... and why the fork, Chinese
eat with chopsticks.

[email protected][_2_] 18-02-2019 02:33 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:23:03 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:24:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

> What is it, it doesn't look like any Chinese food I've ever seen...
> pieces are too big and sloppily arranged... and why the fork, Chinese
> eat with chopsticks.

Every Chinese restaurant, fancy and expensive or plain and cheap, are ALL going
to be different. Not a single one of food items will look the same; similar
maybe, but not the same.

The only folks, besides Orientals, that I see eating with chopsticks are the
locals trying to impress other diners. Chopsticks do not make the food taste
any better than using a fork nor does it make your dining experience any better.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 18-02-2019 02:44 AM

Chef Boyardee Throwback

wrote:
> On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:23:03 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:24:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

>> What is it, it doesn't look like any Chinese food I've ever seen...
>> pieces are too big and sloppily arranged... and why the fork, Chinese
>> eat with chopsticks.
>>

> Every Chinese restaurant, fancy and expensive or plain and cheap, are ALL going
> to be different. Not a single one of food items will look the same; similar
> maybe, but not the same.
>
> The only folks, besides Orientals, that I see eating with chopsticks are the
> locals trying to impress other diners. Chopsticks do not make the food taste
> any better than using a fork nor does it make your dining experience any better.

Popeye learned to use chopsticks in the navy. The pineaples he ate all
used them, and they taught him.