Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I goofed, now looking for alternatives

Hi folks,

I tend to a 6 week pattern of a major shopping trip then 2 smaller ones
(just veggie runs) between. I get off cycle with Thanksgiving.

So I made my first main run since about 15Nov and undercalculated
freezer space a bit. Nothing outrageous but we decided to cook the
pork butt right away instead of make space.

Now I got way too much meat headed at us.

I know what to do with regular pulled pork. I am looking for
alternatives from folks who actually cook here? Some variation from
pulled pork wraps or sandwiches/buns.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hell yes. Wrap? Think eggroll. I toss meat, blue chs, slaw, hot sauce, seal with an egg brush and deep fry. Add some cheese on hand and glorious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk > wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I tend to a 6 week pattern of a major shopping trip then 2 smaller ones
> (just veggie runs) between. I get off cycle with Thanksgiving.
>
> So I made my first main run since about 15Nov and undercalculated
> freezer space a bit. Nothing outrageous but we decided to cook the
> pork butt right away instead of make space.
>
> Now I got way too much meat headed at us.
>
> I know what to do with regular pulled pork. I am looking for
> alternatives from folks who actually cook here? Some variation from
> pulled pork wraps or sandwiches/buns.

Carnitas. It can then be used in many different dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I tend to a 6 week pattern of a major shopping trip then 2 smaller ones
> (just veggie runs) between. I get off cycle with Thanksgiving.
>
> So I made my first main run since about 15Nov and undercalculated
> freezer space a bit. Nothing outrageous but we decided to cook the
> pork butt right away instead of make space.
>
> Now I got way too much meat headed at us.
>
> I know what to do with regular pulled pork. I am looking for
> alternatives from folks who actually cook here? Some variation from
> pulled pork wraps or sandwiches/buns.

we've always liked roasted pork with saurkraut and
mashed taters and gravy.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas wrote:

> Hell yes. Wrap? Think eggroll. I toss meat, blue chs, slaw, hot
> sauce, seal with an egg brush and deep fry. Add some cheese on hand
> and glorious.

Grin, Thats a variation I liked! I have some lumpia wrapper in the
freezer so used it.

Recipe devised as below (measures are approximate):

16 full sized lumpia wrappers (the paper-thin see through type)
1 lb unsauced pulled pork, further shredded to fine
2 small grated carrots ~1/3 cup
1/2 cup minced dark mature Bok Choy leaf
1 cup minced Asian Broccoli leaves (lightly packed)
2 small leek bulbs, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced fine
1/2 can Rotel tomatoes (with some juice drained off)
2 eggs (binder)
1/2 TB Whisky smoked black cracked pepper
1/3 cup minced Portobella mushroom (sale, 59cent packs of about 1cup)
1 ts salt

I mixed it all evenly and let set to blend. After an hour, I loaded up
the lumpia wrappers and fried them in sets of 4 in canola oil.

We had 6 of them them for lunch (there are 3 of us) with white sticky
rice and orange slices. The other 10 are in the freezer in zip-loc
bags (double bagged).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx the Minx wrote:

> cshenk > wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I tend to a 6 week pattern of a major shopping trip then 2 smaller
> > ones (just veggie runs) between. I get off cycle with Thanksgiving.
> >
> > So I made my first main run since about 15Nov and undercalculated
> > freezer space a bit. Nothing outrageous but we decided to cook the
> > pork butt right away instead of make space.
> >
> > Now I got way too much meat headed at us.
> >
> > I know what to do with regular pulled pork. I am looking for
> > alternatives from folks who actually cook here? Some variation from
> > pulled pork wraps or sandwiches/buns.
> >

> Carnitas. It can then be used in many different dishes.

Smile, the meat is already cooked so basically 'carnita' may apply?
It's the other dishes I am looking for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk > wrote:
> Jinx the Minx wrote:
>
>> cshenk > wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I tend to a 6 week pattern of a major shopping trip then 2 smaller
>>> ones (just veggie runs) between. I get off cycle with Thanksgiving.
>>>
>>> So I made my first main run since about 15Nov and undercalculated
>>> freezer space a bit. Nothing outrageous but we decided to cook the
>>> pork butt right away instead of make space.
>>>
>>> Now I got way too much meat headed at us.
>>>
>>> I know what to do with regular pulled pork. I am looking for
>>> alternatives from folks who actually cook here? Some variation from
>>> pulled pork wraps or sandwiches/buns.
>>>

>> Carnitas. It can then be used in many different dishes.

> Smile, the meat is already cooked so basically 'carnita' may apply?
> It's the other dishes I am looking for.

By carnitas I meant to cook it with herbs and seasonings for that specific
€ścarnitas€ť flavor (garlic, cumin, oregano, etc.), which wouldnt be the
same as plain pulled pork. It can then be used for tacos, in wraps, on
salads, etc. Its pretty versatile.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx the Minx wrote:

> cshenk > wrote:
> > Jinx the Minx wrote:

> Thanksgiving. >>>

> the >>> pork butt right away instead of make space.

> from >>> pulled pork wraps or sandwiches/buns.
> >>>

> >> Carnitas. It can then be used in many different dishes.

> > Smile, the meat is already cooked so basically 'carnita' may apply?
> > It's the other dishes I am looking for.
> >

> By carnitas I meant to cook it with herbs and seasonings for that
> specific €ścarnitas€ť flavor (garlic, cumin, oregano, etc.), which
> wouldnt be the same as plain pulled pork. It can then be used for
> tacos, in wraps, on salads, etc. Its pretty versatile.

Ok thanks! Next time I need to cook up a 10lb pork butt, I'll try to
keep that in mind. For now, dealing with an already cooked one.

BBQ NG Alternatives Kent[_5_] Barbecue 7 07-11-2011 01:27 AM
Are There Alternatives? Ron[_9_] General Cooking 66 28-11-2010 09:51 AM
Repost Of The Shrimp Recipe I Goofed On Lou Decruss[_2_] General Cooking 2 29-02-2008 10:43 PM
Alternatives Heidi Manway General Cooking 1 28-12-2006 04:11 PM
think I goofed Jim Kroger General Cooking 4 16-12-2003 04:08 PM