Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bah... humbug

My wife went to church this morning. I thought it would be a good time
to do a load of laundry. We just had our washing machine repaired
about a week and a half ago. The door lock was screwed and it would not
go into the spin cycle. $300 later, that is fixed, so I was happy to
hear the end of the cycle and went in to move the clothes to the dryer.
Now the dryer is dead. I don't know what is binding in there, but the
drum is really hard to turn. I may also have burned out the fuse by
holding the start button too long.

I had been thinking after the washer repair that it was the second
repair in two years and the total cost was getting close to replacement.
This dryer is really old and has been repaired before. I think that
tomorrow I will be heading out to take advantage of the boxing day sales.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 10:41:36 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> My wife went to church this morning. I thought it would be a good time
> to do a load of laundry. We just had our washing machine repaired
> about a week and a half ago. The door lock was screwed and it would not
> go into the spin cycle. $300 later, that is fixed, so I was happy to
> hear the end of the cycle and went in to move the clothes to the dryer.
> Now the dryer is dead. I don't know what is binding in there, but the
> drum is really hard to turn. I may also have burned out the fuse by
> holding the start button too long.
>

> I had been thinking after the washer repair that it was the second
> repair in two years and the total cost was getting close to replacement.
> This dryer is really old and has been repaired before. I think that
> tomorrow I will be heading out to take advantage of the boxing day sales.

Two words: Speed Queen

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 5:41:36 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> My wife went to church this morning. I thought it would be a good time
> to do a load of laundry. We just had our washing machine repaired
> about a week and a half ago. The door lock was screwed and it would not
> go into the spin cycle. $300 later, that is fixed, so I was happy to
> hear the end of the cycle and went in to move the clothes to the dryer.
> Now the dryer is dead. I don't know what is binding in there, but the
> drum is really hard to turn. I may also have burned out the fuse by
> holding the start button too long.
>

> I had been thinking after the washer repair that it was the second
> repair in two years and the total cost was getting close to replacement.
> This dryer is really old and has been repaired before. I think that
> tomorrow I will be heading out to take advantage of the boxing day sales.

My guess is that you need to replace these thingies. The weird thing is that it's the same part that was on my parent's dryer that I replaced back in the 70's. The controller might be digital electronics but the mechanicals have been around for decades. That's a dirty little secret about these appliances right there.

https://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-ty6xy....1280.1280.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Tue 25 Dec 2018 08:42:53a, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> My wife went to church this morning. I thought it would be a good
>> time to do a load of laundry. We just had our washing machine
>> repaired about a week and a half ago. The door lock was screwed
>> and it would not go into the spin cycle. $300 later, that is
>> fixed, so I was happy to hear the end of the cycle and went in to
>> move the clothes to the dryer. Now the dryer is dead. I don't know
>> what is binding in there, but the drum is really hard to turn. I
>> may also have burned out the fuse by holding the start button too
>> long.
>>

>> I had been thinking after the washer repair that it was the second
>> repair in two years and the total cost was getting close to
>> replacement.
>> This dryer is really old and has been repaired before. I think
>> that
>> tomorrow I will be heading out to take advantage of the boxing day
>> sales.
>>

> I think laundry appliaces are notoriously expensive to repair. If it's
> a very minor and afordable repair I'll pay for to be done. Otherwise I
> will just buy and replace the units.
>
> So far our Maytag front loaders are behaving flawlessly after 8 years.

Â* The parts are usually reasonable , the rape job comes from the labor
cost . It's a racket , a racket I tell ya ! Luckily , I have mechanical
aptitude and have so far been able to repair just about every problem
that's come up . What I would have spent on some yokel swapping parts
has made a vast positive difference in my collection of tools . I now
have enough tools to make my own tools ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One word, Whirlpool. I don't like all their appliances, but my washer and dryer are great.
Dryers are relatively inexpensive...treat yourself.

(You can pull the dryer out and take a look at the back of the drum...see if there is some loose
change or something similar that has jammed the drum. The last time the drum on mine was viewed
from the back, there was over $2 of change that had dropped out during the drying cycle, and gathered
at the bottom in a little lip of metal at center bottom.)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 09:01:56 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 10:41:36 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>> My wife went to church this morning. I thought it would be a good time
>> to do a load of laundry. We just had our washing machine repaired
>> about a week and a half ago. The door lock was screwed and it would not
>> go into the spin cycle. $300 later, that is fixed, so I was happy to
>> hear the end of the cycle and went in to move the clothes to the dryer.
>> Now the dryer is dead. I don't know what is binding in there, but the
>> drum is really hard to turn. I may also have burned out the fuse by
>> holding the start button too long.
>>

>> I had been thinking after the washer repair that it was the second
>> repair in two years and the total cost was getting close to replacement.
>> This dryer is really old and has been repaired before. I think that
>> tomorrow I will be heading out to take advantage of the boxing day sales.

>Two words: Speed Queen
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Our washer (Whirlpool) and dryer (Kitchenaid) are nearly 25 years old
and still work like new. The only service needed was when I dropped a
vacuum cleaner attachment down into the lint trap... a $60 repair. I
had no clue how to access that space, the local appliance guy knew
exactly what needed to be taken apart to get to that area, took like
ten minutes, the $60 was for the service call. We also have a
commercial washer in the basement, Sears Kenmore, it's over sized and
great for blankets and other heavy items. Regardless which brand the
local appliance service guy said the biggest cause of
breakdowns/repairs is from over loading.... not cleaning the dryer
lint trap after every load, and people with furry pets, especially
refrigerator coils. With five cats I vacuum the fridge coils the
first week of every month. Our top of the line Maytag dishwasher may
out last us, it's used maybe 4-5 times a year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-25 5:32 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> One word, Whirlpool. I don't like all their appliances, but my
> washer and dryer are great. Dryers are relatively inexpensive...treat
> yourself.

Thanks for the recommendation. I lucked out today. There is a nearby
appliance shop that had a Boxing Day sale. I have never before gone out
shopping to take advantage of the BD sale, but they had had a number of
dryers on sale and one of the best deals was a Whirlpool. It is a basic
model and we did not need all the bells and whistles. It will be
delivered on Saturday. That works for me. I have enough clean laundry to
last me a week.