Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cherry pitters? Best? Anyone?

I have a very old not very good one-at-a-time cherry pitter, and I need to UPGRADE!

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John, try The Vermont Country Store or Lehman's Hardware Store (I think it is Lehmans.com).... Both are really
good sources for what I consider the best old-fashioned kitchen gadgets; but you may want something
flashier (check Amazon).

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:
> John, try The Vermont Country Store or Lehman's Hardware Store (I think it is Lehmans.com).... Both are really
> good sources for what I consider the best old-fashioned kitchen gadgets; but you may want something
> flashier (check Amazon).
>
> N.

I just want one that WORKS better! I have some cherries that just refuse to give up the pit! And I have to eat them! ;-)

Thanks!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/18 9:34 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:
>> John, try The Vermont Country Store or Lehman's Hardware Store (I
>> think it is Lehmans.com).... Both are really good sources for what
>> I consider the best old-fashioned kitchen gadgets; but you may want
>> something flashier (check Amazon).
>>
>> N.

> I just want one that WORKS better! I have some cherries that just
> refuse to give up the pit! And I have to eat them! ;-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> John Kuthe...

peel the cherries off and it should be easy to eat the pit
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>I have a very old not very good one-at-a-time cherry pitter, and I need to
>UPGRADE!
>
> John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

I have this one. Works great but it seems to be unavailable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John, they used one on the "Champion of Champions" holiday baking show on FN
last night...looked about the size of a garlic press...and the user was doing them one by one, going
lickety-split, one after another.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 7:21:44 AM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:
> John, they used one on the "Champion of Champions" holiday baking show on FN
> last night...looked about the size of a garlic press...and the user was doing them one by one, going
> lickety-split, one after another.
>
> N.

Any idea what brand or product name?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

No,brand I could see, but it was about the size I described, shiny silver, and the cherry could go
in any which way, and it had very smooth lever action. I will say it was hard to tell if the cherries
remained basically whole, or if they were in pieces.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 4:42:40 PM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:
> No,brand I could see, but it was about the size I described, shiny silver, and the cherry could go
> in any which way, and it had very smooth lever action. I will say it was hard to tell if the cherries
> remained basically whole, or if they were in pieces.
>
> N.

The purpose of any cherry pitter I've ever seen or heard of is to keep as much of the cherry intact as possible. My little 20+ year old one is made of chromed wire and has a yoke and a plunger to pop out the pit, but mine misses a lot especially with some cherries, One batch I bought and pitted recently had many cherries that did not want to give up their pit! :-(

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 11:50:30 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 4:42:40 PM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:
> > No,brand I could see, but it was about the size I described, shiny silver, and the cherry could go
> > in any which way, and it had very smooth lever action. I will say it was hard to tell if the cherries
> > remained basically whole, or if they were in pieces.
> >
> > N.

> The purpose of any cherry pitter I've ever seen or heard of is to keep as much of the cherry intact as possible. My little 20+ year old one is made of chromed wire and has a yoke and a plunger to pop out the pit, but mine misses a lot especially with some cherries, One batch I bought and pitted recently had many cherries that did not want to give up their pit! :-(

Were the cherries underripe? To withstand shipment from wherever they
are currently in season (Chile?) they'd have to be picked when they were
pretty firm.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 5:17:11 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 11:50:30 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 4:42:40 PM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:
> > > No,brand I could see, but it was about the size I described, shiny silver, and the cherry could go
> > > in any which way, and it had very smooth lever action. I will say it was hard to tell if the cherries
> > > remained basically whole, or if they were in pieces.
> > >
> > > N.

> > The purpose of any cherry pitter I've ever seen or heard of is to keep as much of the cherry intact as possible. My little 20+ year old one is made of chromed wire and has a yoke and a plunger to pop out the pit, but mine misses a lot especially with some cherries, One batch I bought and pitted recently had many cherries that did not want to give up their pit! :-(

> Were the cherries underripe? To withstand shipment from wherever they
> are currently in season (Chile?) they'd have to be picked when they were
> pretty firm.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

No, I think they were OVEDripe and somewhat soggy! And the fibers INSIDE many of the cherries would NOT LET GO of the pit! And I had to try and DIG OUT the pit, splitting the cherry and sometimes destroying it! And then I had to eat many!

:-(

John Kuthe...