Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Toast

https://www.jazzyvegetarian.com/wow_...unch_show_611/

>>> Doris
>>>

>> I went to her site, and oh heavens, every recipe, to me, simply sucks. I
>> am so glad my local PBS station does not buy her program.
>>

>I had to watch because I am a little curious about what vegans think is
>so much better than what us regular folks eat.

It could be about animal welfare for them. Food that's free of animal
suffering is "better than what us regular folks eat".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 2:41:41 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 12/18/2018 12:27 AM, wrote:
> > On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 9:21:21 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:
> >>
> >> Here's the recipe. Read and weep.

https://www.jazzyvegetarian.com/wow_...unch_show_611/

> >> Doris
> >>

> > I went to her site, and oh heavens, every recipe, to me, simply sucks. I
> > am so glad my local PBS station does not buy her program.
> >

> I had to watch because I am a little curious about what vegans think is
> so much better than what us regular folks eat.

They don't think their food is better. They think they are
better for eating that way.

It's possible to prepare very tasty vegan food. I've got a pot
of vegan lentil soup that I cooked last weekend. But there are
a whole raft of dishes that just don't take well to substituting
for animal-based ingredients. I suppose they get used to it
after a while.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:18:24 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 3:07:02 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>> On 2018-12-18 8:04 a.m., Doris Night wrote:
>> > On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 03:21:22 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>> > I always keep a loaf of white bread around just for French toast or
>> > dressing. And if we're having gravy with anything (stew) DH likes
>> > white bread with gravy.
>> >
>> > Doris
>> >

>> It's the *only* bread for Summer Pudding.

>It may amuse you to know that millions of people don't make
>or eat Summer Pudding.

I don't even know what it is. Something British?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:17:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 2:41:41 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

https://www.jazzyvegetarian.com/wow_...unch_show_611/

>> > I went to her site, and oh heavens, every recipe, to me, simply sucks. I
>> > am so glad my local PBS station does not buy her program.
>> >

>> I had to watch because I am a little curious about what vegans think is
>> so much better than what us regular folks eat.

>They don't think their food is better.

Unless they're vegans for real or perceived health reasons.

>They think they are better for eating that way.

I think they are. Isn't it a good thing to reduce animal suffering?
Even if most people don't give a rat's ass, isn't it still a good
thing when other people do?

>It's possible to prepare very tasty vegan food. I've got a pot
>of vegan lentil soup that I cooked last weekend. But there are
>a whole raft of dishes that just don't take well to substituting
>for animal-based ingredients. I suppose they get used to it
>after a while.

I think so. I'd make sure I had some staple dishes that I like. For
busy or lazy days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I went to her site, and oh heavens, every recipe, to me, simply sucks. I
>>> am so glad my local PBS station does not buy her program.
>>>

>> I had to watch because I am a little curious about what vegans think is
>> so much better than what us regular folks eat. Trust me, the next time
>> one of her shows aired I changed the channel.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I was either reading on her site or just the internet in general about her.
> She does not drink milk or a-n-y dairy products nor eggs.

I know some vegans can be extreme but that's what struck me about the
show. I was truly interested in what she thinks makes a good subtitute
for eggs. I'm sorry, but tofu and banana? How is that supposed to work?

What's she got against milk and eggs? I laughed when she was making the
broccoli muffins and mentioned vegan shredded "cheddar cheese" but was
quick to mention it's not cheddar and it's not cheese. WTF is it?! I
can tell you one thing it isn't: appetizing.

> She seems to think
> an ALL plant based diet is best for herself but I find it funny they want that
> full dairy, meat, eggs, etc. experience without consuming those products. It
> makes me wonder how many vitamins and supplements she consumes daily in an
> attempt to stay healthy?

Probably lots of them! Except for potassium because she does eat bananas.

> She's a jazz singer, too. I can't say I impressed by her voice either.

I had no idea she's a jazz singer. Not really interested in finding out
so no, I won't look her up. I'll just continue to change the channel
when her weird vegan show comes on.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>>
>> > I always keep a loaf of white bread around just for French toast or
>> > dressing. And if we're having gravy with anything (stew) DH likes
>> > white bread with gravy.
>> >
>> > Doris

>> That is one of my favorite things as well, bread and gravy.

> Yes! And the fresh white bread or roll buttered with semi-solid
> butter. Soft enough not to tear but hard enough to clump a bit
> here and there. Room temp of about 65F does it for me nicely.
>
> Right now, I'm cooking a lunch of hash (potatoes, onions & some
> chopped spam). I'll have a slice of buttered bread and a bit of
> apple sauce with B/sugar.
>
> note: the other day was the very first time I ever cooked spam.
> Put it in this hash and it was delicious so a repeat today.

Glad you're feeling better and your appetite has returned. Sounds good, I
definitely agree with the semi-solid butter too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-18 1:18 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 3:07:02 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>> On 2018-12-18 8:04 a.m., Doris Night wrote:
>>> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 03:21:22 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> I always keep a loaf of white bread around just for French toast or
>>> dressing. And if we're having gravy with anything (stew) DH likes
>>> white bread with gravy.
>>>
>>> Doris
>>>

>> It's the *only* bread for Summer Pudding.

> It may amuse you to know that millions of people don't make
> or eat Summer Pudding.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Then they are missing out!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-18 1:21 p.m., Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:18:24 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> It's the *only* bread for Summer Pudding.

>> It may amuse you to know that millions of people don't make
>> or eat Summer Pudding.

> I don't even know what it is. Something British?

Yes! A superb dessert made with raspberries, redcurrants and one or two
other soft fruits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2018 3:17 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 2:41:41 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

https://www.jazzyvegetarian.com/wow_...unch_show_611/

>>> I went to her site, and oh heavens, every recipe, to me, simply sucks. I
>>> am so glad my local PBS station does not buy her program.
>>>

>> I had to watch because I am a little curious about what vegans think is
>> so much better than what us regular folks eat.

> They don't think their food is better. They think they are
> better for eating that way.
>
> It's possible to prepare very tasty vegan food. I've got a pot
> of vegan lentil soup that I cooked last weekend. But there are
> a whole raft of dishes that just don't take well to substituting
> for animal-based ingredients. I suppose they get used to it
> after a while.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Ah, but so many of them try to sound superior. When I watched the show
where the woman made the vegan French Toast she stated she was
re-creating her MIL's baked french toast which she said was *really*
delicious.

If it's that delicious, why try to turn it into something else?

I really don't understand the no eggs or dairy thing. Nothing could be
more natural, assuming the chickens are free-range and no one beats
Bessy the milk cow. What's the problem?

None of the recipes sounded the least bit appealing to me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2018 8:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Pancakes are indeed easy. They are so easy I don't understand why people
> buy mixes.

I am not really a pancake person, if presented a choice I would
take waffles, hands down.

However, I love Kodiak Power Cakes. So, yeah, I actually have
pancake mix.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:25:08 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>>
>> > I always keep a loaf of white bread around just for French toast or
>> > dressing. And if we're having gravy with anything (stew) DH likes
>> > white bread with gravy.
>> >
>> > Doris

>> That is one of my favorite things as well, bread and gravy.

>Yes! And the fresh white bread or roll buttered with semi-solid
>butter. Soft enough not to tear but hard enough to clump a bit
>here and there. Room temp of about 65F does it for me nicely.
>
>Right now, I'm cooking a lunch of hash (potatoes, onions & some
>chopped spam). I'll have a slice of buttered bread and a bit of
>apple sauce with B/sugar.
>
>note: the other day was the very first time I ever cooked spam.
>Put it in this hash and it was delicious so a repeat today.

I wouldn't eat it if it was still repeating a day later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 7:25:26 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Cheri wrote:
> >
> > "Doris Night" > wrote in message
> >
> > > I always keep a loaf of white bread around just for French toast or
> > > dressing. And if we're having gravy with anything (stew) DH likes
> > > white bread with gravy.
> > >
> > > Doris

> > That is one of my favorite things as well, bread and gravy.

> Yes! And the fresh white bread or roll buttered with semi-solid
> butter. Soft enough not to tear but hard enough to clump a bit
> here and there. Room temp of about 65F does it for me nicely.
>
> Right now, I'm cooking a lunch of hash (potatoes, onions & some
> chopped spam). I'll have a slice of buttered bread and a bit of
> apple sauce with B/sugar.
>
> note: the other day was the very first time I ever cooked spam.
> Put it in this hash and it was delicious so a repeat today.

Spam, eggs, and rice, at McDonald's is a popular breakfast over here. It's
kind of a cheap, tasty, breakfast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssTJ60qYzDo

==

Heh I know someone who would like that <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 3:50:48 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 12/18/2018 3:17 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

https://www.jazzyvegetarian.com/wow_...unch_show_611/

> >> I had to watch because I am a little curious about what vegans think is
> >> so much better than what us regular folks eat.

> > They don't think their food is better. They think they are
> > better for eating that way.
> >
> > It's possible to prepare very tasty vegan food. I've got a pot
> > of vegan lentil soup that I cooked last weekend. But there are
> > a whole raft of dishes that just don't take well to substituting
> > for animal-based ingredients. I suppose they get used to it
> > after a while.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Ah, but so many of them try to sound superior. When I watched the show
> where the woman made the vegan French Toast she stated she was
> re-creating her MIL's baked french toast which she said was *really*
> delicious.
>
> If it's that delicious, why try to turn it into something else?
>
> I really don't understand the no eggs or dairy thing. Nothing could be
> more natural, assuming the chickens are free-range and no one beats
> Bessy the milk cow. What's the problem?

Vegans will not eat anything that is derived from animals.
No meat. No milk. No eggs. No honey. No ordinary sugar,
which uses bone black in its processing.

That's pretty much the definition of vegan: nothing that
came from an animal. It doesn't matter to them if the
animal isn't killed. Nothing from animals.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 15:50:43 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Ah, but so many of them try to sound superior.

No, you feel inferior. Don't turn it around now.

>When I watched the show
>where the woman made the vegan French Toast she stated she was
>re-creating her MIL's baked french toast which she said was *really*
>delicious.
>
>If it's that delicious, why try to turn it into something else?

Because she's a vegan?

>I really don't understand the no eggs or dairy thing. Nothing could be
>more natural, assuming the chickens are free-range and no one beats
>Bessy the milk cow. What's the problem?
>
>None of the recipes sounded the least bit appealing to me.

We get it, McBiddy. You're not a vegan. Really, we get it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 13:06:51 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 3:50:48 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

https://www.jazzyvegetarian.com/wow_...unch_show_611/

>> > They don't think their food is better. They think they are
>> > better for eating that way.
>> >
>> > It's possible to prepare very tasty vegan food. I've got a pot
>> > of vegan lentil soup that I cooked last weekend. But there are
>> > a whole raft of dishes that just don't take well to substituting
>> > for animal-based ingredients. I suppose they get used to it
>> > after a while.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >

>> Ah, but so many of them try to sound superior. When I watched the show
>> where the woman made the vegan French Toast she stated she was
>> re-creating her MIL's baked french toast which she said was *really*
>> delicious.
>>
>> If it's that delicious, why try to turn it into something else?
>>
>> I really don't understand the no eggs or dairy thing. Nothing could be
>> more natural, assuming the chickens are free-range and no one beats
>> Bessy the milk cow. What's the problem?

>Vegans will not eat anything that is derived from animals.
>No meat. No milk. No eggs. No honey. No ordinary sugar,
>which uses bone black in its processing.
>
>That's pretty much the definition of vegan: nothing that
>came from an animal. It doesn't matter to them if the
>animal isn't killed. Nothing from animals.

It's that straightforward.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 2:07:02 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:

> On 2018-12-18 8:04 a.m., Doris Night wrote:
> >
> > I always keep a loaf of white bread around just for French toast or
> > dressing. And if we're having gravy with anything (stew) DH likes
> > white bread with gravy.
> >
> > Doris
> >

> It's the *only* bread for Summer Pudding.

What's 'Summer Pudding'?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2018 3:45 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-12-18 1:21 p.m., Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:18:24 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> It may amuse you to know that millions of people don't make
>>> or eat Summer Pudding.

>> I don't even know what it is. Something British?
>>

> Yes! A superb dessert made with raspberries, redcurrants and one or two
> other soft fruits.

I saw something similar on a PBS cooking show featuring an Irish chef.
He used cubed bread to make a dessert pudding with raspberries, sliced
fresh ripe peaches (I think he said some other fruit could be
substituted for the peaches, didn't catch what). Nothing I've ever had
but it looked quite tasty.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 2:17:34 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> It's possible to prepare very tasty vegan food. I've got a pot
> of vegan lentil soup that I cooked last weekend. But there are
> a whole raft of dishes that just don't take well to substituting
> for animal-based ingredients. I suppose they get used to it
> after a while.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I wish I could find the episode of "America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country"
where Chris Kimball is reading a letter to Julia Collin Davis from a viewer.
ATK/CC had made a cheesecake and the letter writer had substituted EVERY
SINGLE INGREDIENT in the original recipe for vegan ingredients. The letter
closed wanting to know what they had done wrong as the results were terrible.

Needles to say, Chris and Julia got a great laugh out of that and said when
you start monkeying around with the recipe don't expect the same tasty results.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 2:20:40 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 11:59:15 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I was either reading on her site or just the internet in general about her.
> >She does not drink milk or a-n-y dairy products nor eggs.

> That's like saying: "He's a teetotaller. And he doesn't drink whiskey
> either!"

Some folks will eat cheese but not touch milk in its' original form.

> >She seems to think
> >an ALL plant based diet is best for herself

> Or she wouldn't be a vegan.

Or as Cindy stated:
"They don't think their food is better. They think they are
better for eating that way."

> >but I find it funny they want that
> >full dairy, meat, eggs, etc. experience without consuming those products.

> I don't eat meat, but I like it and I like food that gives me a
> similar flavour. Is that so illogical?

Yes, it is.

> >It makes me wonder how many vitamins and supplements she consumes daily in an
> >attempt to stay healthy?

> Maybe the main thing she'll have to supplement is calcium.
>
> >She's a jazz singer, too. I can't say I impressed by her voice either.

> lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2018 4:06 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 3:50:48 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

https://www.jazzyvegetarian.com/wow_...unch_show_611/

>>> They don't think their food is better. They think they are
>>> better for eating that way.
>>>
>>> It's possible to prepare very tasty vegan food. I've got a pot
>>> of vegan lentil soup that I cooked last weekend. But there are
>>> a whole raft of dishes that just don't take well to substituting
>>> for animal-based ingredients. I suppose they get used to it
>>> after a while.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Ah, but so many of them try to sound superior. When I watched the show
>> where the woman made the vegan French Toast she stated she was
>> re-creating her MIL's baked french toast which she said was *really*
>> delicious.
>>
>> If it's that delicious, why try to turn it into something else?
>>
>> I really don't understand the no eggs or dairy thing. Nothing could be
>> more natural, assuming the chickens are free-range and no one beats
>> Bessy the milk cow. What's the problem?

> Vegans will not eat anything that is derived from animals.
> No meat. No milk. No eggs. No honey. No ordinary sugar,
> which uses bone black in its processing.
>
> That's pretty much the definition of vegan: nothing that
> came from an animal. It doesn't matter to them if the
> animal isn't killed. Nothing from animals.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

All I can really say to that is no, I will not be cooking any vegan
french toast. LOL

Meanwhile, I'll be cooking a rib roast for Christmas. Roasted
potatoes and acorn squash will be side dishes.

I promise to treat the squash nicely before I cut it in half. LOL I'll
brush it with actual butter rather than some plant based something that
pretends to be butter.

I'll sprinkle it with S&P. Put a couple of Tbs. of butter in the cavity
of the split squash. (Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds - Note: they
could be saved and roasted like pumpkin seeds if one was of a mind to.)
Place the halved squash in a glass baking dish.

Season the split, seeded squash and add butter to the well of the
squash. I never add sugar to baked squash - to me squash tastes
naturally sweet and doesn't need any help. But do as you would like.

Bake the squash for about an hour at 350F, brushing with the melted
butter in the cavity occasionally. Quite tasty and so easy to cook.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 2:50:48 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

> I really don't understand the no eggs or dairy thing. Nothing could be
> more natural, assuming the chickens are free-range and no one beats
> Bessy the milk cow. What's the problem?
>
> Jill

Exactly! Cows HAVE to be milked. It's not like they were being force fed
to make them produce that milk. Eggs and milk are natural by-products of
the animal and if they are not used they will spoil. How is not consuming
their natural by-product abuse or make them superior to those of us that do
eat these products?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 13:49:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 2:20:40 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 11:59:15 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I was either reading on her site or just the internet in general about her.
>> >She does not drink milk or a-n-y dairy products nor eggs.

>> That's like saying: "He's a teetotaller. And he doesn't drink whiskey
>> either!"
>>

>Some folks will eat cheese but not touch milk in its' original form.

A vegan won't touch either.

>> >She seems to think
>> >an ALL plant based diet is best for herself

>> Or she wouldn't be a vegan.
>>

>Or as Cindy stated:
>"They don't think their food is better. They think they are
>better for eating that way."

They are. Their food doesn't require animal suffering. How can that
not be better?

>> >but I find it funny they want that
>> >full dairy, meat, eggs, etc. experience without consuming those products.

>> I don't eat meat, but I like it and I like food that gives me a
>> similar flavour. Is that so illogical?
>>

>Yes, it is.

If I could eat something close to chicken livers, lamb chops, chicken
thighs etc etc that didn't involve animal suffering, I'd be all over
it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 14:00:16 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 2:50:48 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> I really don't understand the no eggs or dairy thing. Nothing could be
>> more natural, assuming the chickens are free-range and no one beats
>> Bessy the milk cow. What's the problem?
>>
>> Jill
>>

>Exactly! Cows HAVE to be milked. It's not like they were being force fed
>to make them produce that milk. Eggs and milk are natural by-products of
>the animal and if they are not used they will spoil. How is not consuming
>their natural by-product abuse or make them superior to those of us that do
>eat these products?

The dairy industry's based on animal torture. The way they're housed,
the fate of the males, the fate of the females when their production
goes down. I understand vegans from the perspective of animal
suffering.

You don't care if animals suffer. You just want to eat what you like
the most, regardless of everything else. I understand that too. It's
not pretty, but I understand it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 13:45:10 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 2:17:34 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> It's possible to prepare very tasty vegan food. I've got a pot
>> of vegan lentil soup that I cooked last weekend. But there are
>> a whole raft of dishes that just don't take well to substituting
>> for animal-based ingredients. I suppose they get used to it
>> after a while.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I wish I could find the episode of "America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country"
>where Chris Kimball is reading a letter to Julia Collin Davis from a viewer.
>ATK/CC had made a cheesecake and the letter writer had substituted EVERY
>SINGLE INGREDIENT in the original recipe for vegan ingredients. The letter
>closed wanting to know what they had done wrong as the results were terrible.
>
>Needles to say, Chris and Julia got a great laugh out of that and said when
>you start monkeying around with the recipe don't expect the same tasty results.

I think that vegan is the hardest to do when you're making sweets.
Every vegan recipe I've seen for cakes and other sweets, has an
endless list of strange ingredients, to replace all the things they
can't use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 4:08:26 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 13:49:02 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Or as Cindy stated:
> >"They don't think their food is better. They think they are
> >better for eating that way."

> They are. Their food doesn't require animal suffering. How can that
> not be better?

How is milking a cow, which relieves the pressure in their udder, cause
suffering? NOT milking the cow DOES cause her suffering. How is gathering
eggs causing suffering?

> >> I don't eat meat, but I like it and I like food that gives me a
> >> similar flavour. Is that so illogical?
> >>

> >Yes, it is.

> If I could eat something close to chicken livers, lamb chops, chicken
> thighs etc etc that didn't involve animal suffering, I'd be all over
> it.

Maybe someday they'll make some plant based chicken livers, lamb chops,
chicken thighs etc. etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 4:12:32 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> The dairy industry's based on animal torture. The way they're housed,
> the fate of the males, the fate of the females when their production
> goes down. I understand vegans from the perspective of animal
> suffering.

But, but, don't they kill the plants to make their end resulting sub-
stitutions? Don't you have feelings for those poor, defenseless plants
that are being murdered so you can eat fake cheese, fake milk, fake
cream cheese, fake eggs, fake burgers, etc.??

> You don't care if animals suffer. You just want to eat what you like
> the most, regardless of everything else. I understand that too. It's
> not pretty, but I understand it.

Don't you care if those plants are silently screaming as they are
ripped from their stems, shredded, pulverized, boiled or roasted so
you can think you are superior to us omnivores? It's not pretty and
I don't understand it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2018 5:27 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 4:08:26 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 13:49:02 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Or as Cindy stated:
>>> "They don't think their food is better. They think they are
>>> better for eating that way."

>> They are. Their food doesn't require animal suffering. How can that
>> not be better?
>>

> How is milking a cow, which relieves the pressure in their udder, cause
> suffering? NOT milking the cow DOES cause her suffering. How is gathering
> eggs causing suffering?

>>> Yes, it is.

>> If I could eat something close to chicken livers, lamb chops, chicken
>> thighs etc etc that didn't involve animal suffering, I'd be all over
>> it.
>>

> Maybe someday they'll make some plant based chicken livers, lamb chops,
> chicken thighs etc. etc.

They already make soy based "sausage" and burgers. Just look up
Morningstar Farms or Boca Burgers. I've actually tried these products
so I know they don't taste anything like meat. And the list of
ingredients is really way out there. So many chemicals I can't possibly
believe it would be healthier than pork sausage patties or a nice juicy
ground chuck burger.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 14:27:13 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 4:08:26 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> They are. Their food doesn't require animal suffering. How can that
>> not be better?
>>

>How is milking a cow, which relieves the pressure in their udder, cause
>suffering?

I don't think cows naturally produce milk all their lives.

>NOT milking the cow DOES cause her suffering. How is gathering
>eggs causing suffering?

The way they're housed, the fate of the roosters and the fate of the
hens after their production goes down. That's where the suffering is.
Same with the dairy cows.

>> >Yes, it is.

>> If I could eat something close to chicken livers, lamb chops, chicken
>> thighs etc etc that didn't involve animal suffering, I'd be all over
>> it.
>>

>Maybe someday they'll make some plant based chicken livers, lamb chops,
>chicken thighs etc. etc.

I'd love it. I can already get Asian gluten "meat". For a non meat
eater that's not bad at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 14:35:51 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 4:12:32 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> The dairy industry's based on animal torture. The way they're housed,
>> the fate of the males, the fate of the females when their production
>> goes down. I understand vegans from the perspective of animal
>> suffering.
>>

>But, but, don't they kill the plants to make their end resulting sub-
>stitutions? Don't you have feelings for those poor, defenseless plants
>that are being murdered so you can eat fake cheese, fake milk, fake
>cream cheese, fake eggs, fake burgers, etc.??

This is so old and wasn't even funny the first time.

>> You don't care if animals suffer. You just want to eat what you like
>> the most, regardless of everything else. I understand that too. It's
>> not pretty, but I understand it.
>>

>Don't you care if those plants are silently screaming as they are
>ripped from their stems, shredded, pulverized, boiled or roasted so
>you can think you are superior to us omnivores? It's not pretty and
>I don't understand it.

Again, not funny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary, when I was a young married (1962), we would often have Spam slices, browned and crispy
on one side, flipped, and browned on the other...but when I turned them over, I would spoon on a
little drained crushed pineapple and a little bit of brown sugar. It was really good that way...making
myself hungry for it, talking about it.

OTOH, I had a 6th grade classmate (we were in Bowling Green, KY then) whose mom fixed her
lunch every day, and it was always white sandwich bread with a slab of Spam for the filling. Cold,
not even cooked, no spread...looked awful to me. I never tried that combo. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-18 2:30 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/18/2018 3:45 PM, graham wrote:
>> On 2018-12-18 1:21 p.m., Bruce wrote:
>>> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:18:24 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> I don't even know what it is. Something British?
>>>

>> Yes! A superb dessert made with raspberries, redcurrants and one or
>> two other soft fruits.

> I saw something similar on a PBS cooking show featuring an Irish chef.
> He used cubed bread to make a dessert pudding with raspberries, sliced
> fresh ripe peaches (I think he said some other fruit could be
> substituted for the peaches, didn't catch what).Â* Nothing I've ever had
> but it looked quite tasty.
>
> Jill

This doesn't use cubed bread. You line a basin with bread slices and
fill with soft fruit. Several recipes and illustrations he
http://tiny.cc/xrpt1y

It really is worth making!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 13:06:51 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

https://www.jazzyvegetarian.com/wow_...unch_show_611/

>>> Ah, but so many of them try to sound superior. When I watched the show
>>> where the woman made the vegan French Toast she stated she was
>>> re-creating her MIL's baked french toast which she said was *really*
>>> delicious.
>>>
>>> If it's that delicious, why try to turn it into something else?
>>>
>>> I really don't understand the no eggs or dairy thing. Nothing could be
>>> more natural, assuming the chickens are free-range and no one beats
>>> Bessy the milk cow. What's the problem?

>> Vegans will not eat anything that is derived from animals.
>> No meat. No milk. No eggs. No honey. No ordinary sugar,
>> which uses bone black in its processing.
>>
>> That's pretty much the definition of vegan: nothing that
>> came from an animal. It doesn't matter to them if the
>> animal isn't killed. Nothing from animals.

> It's that straightforward.

How do they ascertain that animals haven't crapped on something, making
it verboten?

Example: A bird shits on an apple, the farmer wipes it off, then the
vegan is poisoned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 15:50:43 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Ah, but so many of them try to sound superior.

> No, you feel inferior. Don't turn it around now.
>
>> When I watched the show
>> where the woman made the vegan French Toast she stated she was
>> re-creating her MIL's baked french toast which she said was *really*
>> delicious.
>>
>> If it's that delicious, why try to turn it into something else?

> Because she's a vegan?
>
>> I really don't understand the no eggs or dairy thing. Nothing could be
>> more natural, assuming the chickens are free-range and no one beats
>> Bessy the milk cow. What's the problem?
>>
>> None of the recipes sounded the least bit appealing to me.

> We get it, McBiddy. You're not a vegan. Really, we get it.

Don't yoose have some ingredient lists to post?