Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Toast

I have read various names for fried egg-soaked bread: US "French Toast",
British "Eggy bread", Canadian "Pain Doré", and finally French "Pain
Perdu". Are these really all the same thing and are the names used
consistently in the various countries? My apologies if I have got the
gender wrong on the two "Pains".

I think I am right in saying that in US usage, "Egg Bread" means bread
with egg in the dough such as Challah?

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > writes:

> I have read various names for fried egg-soaked bread: US "French
> Toast", British "Eggy bread", Canadian "Pain Doré", and finally French
> "Pain Perdu". Are these really all the same thing and are the names
> used consistently in the various countries? My apologies if I have got
> the gender wrong on the two "Pains".
>
> I think I am right in saying that in US usage, "Egg Bread" means bread
> with egg in the dough such as Challah?

That's how I'd understand "egg bread," yes. Note that "eggy" and "egg"
are significantly different; "eggy bread" is either nothing, or else a
recognizable Britishism for French toast.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:36:18 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet >
wrote:

> James Silverton > writes:
>
> > I have read various names for fried egg-soaked bread: US "French
> > Toast", British "Eggy bread", Canadian "Pain Doré", and finally French
> > "Pain Perdu". Are these really all the same thing and are the names
> > used consistently in the various countries? My apologies if I have got
> > the gender wrong on the two "Pains".
> >
> > I think I am right in saying that in US usage, "Egg Bread" means bread
> > with egg in the dough such as Challah?

> That's how I'd understand "egg bread," yes. Note that "eggy" and "egg"
> are significantly different; "eggy bread" is either nothing, or else a
> recognizable Britishism for French toast.

Maybe it's recognizable to an East Coaster, but you'll just get a
blank stare from a West Coaster.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2012 11:42 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> I have read various names for fried egg-soaked bread: US "French Toast",
> British "Eggy bread", Canadian "Pain Doré", and finally French "Pain
> Perdu". Are these really all the same thing and are the names used
> consistently in the various countries? My apologies if I have got the
> gender wrong on the two "Pains".

I don't know about the gender about the Canadian name. We call it
French toast.

> I think I am right in saying that in US usage, "Egg Bread" means bread
> with egg in the dough such as Challah?

I am not in the US, but this Canadian would think of "egg bread" as
something with egg in the dough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

>I have read various names for fried egg-soaked bread: US "French Toast",
>British "Eggy bread", Canadian "Pain Doré", and finally French "Pain
>Perdu". Are these really all the same thing and are the names used
>consistently in the various countries? My apologies if I have got the
>gender wrong on the two "Pains".

Don't forget matzo brei!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I watched "pain perdu" made on tv this weekend by John Besh/New Orleans.
Never in my life have I seen french toast made with tons of sugar
blended with the eggs and additional sugar in the form of orange juice
and grand marnier added to the eggs, followed by jelly and coated with
powdered sugar. His kids must be in a diabetic coma.

Best french toast I ever had was in a little roadside cafe in northern
Minnesota. Real french bread, sliced horizontally into long planks of
bread, soaked, then grilled so you had that wonderful browned eggy crust
extended on one piece served on an oval platter.

I make mine currently by adding a flavored real dairy coffee creamer to
the eggs-I use very low carb light italian bread which tends to tear as
you move it from egg bowl to griddle but toughens up with the cooking of
the eggs. Mrs Butterworths sugar free syrup goes with it and I like to
add a couple chopped pecans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 11:42*am, James Silverton >
wrote:
> I have read various names for fried egg-soaked bread: US "French Toast",
> British "Eggy bread", Canadian "Pain Doré", and finally French "Pain
> Perdu". Are these really all the same thing and are the names used
> consistently in the various countries? My apologies if I have got the
> gender wrong on the two "Pains".
>
> I think I am right in saying that in US usage, "Egg Bread" means bread
> with egg in the dough such as Challah?
>
> --
> Jim Silverton
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Where i'm from in Canada, we call it 'French Toast.' I suppose the
French Canadians refer to it as 'Pain Dore'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 8:42*am, James Silverton > wrote:
> I have read various names for fried egg-soaked bread: US "French Toast",
> British "Eggy bread", Canadian "Pain Doré", and finally French "Pain
> Perdu". Are these really all the same thing and are the names used
> consistently in the various countries? My apologies if I have got the
> gender wrong on the two "Pains".
>
> I think I am right in saying that in US usage, "Egg Bread" means bread
> with egg in the dough such as Challah?

Or you could wrap dough around shell eggs:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/braided-easter-egg-bread/

But if I ask for an egg bagel, I get a bagel with beaten egg in the
dough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 1:00*am, Andy > wrote:
> A Moose in Love > wrote:
>
> >> I think I am right in saying that in US usage, "Egg Bread" means bread
> >> with egg in the dough such as Challah?

> James,
>
> I think similarly, as in "egg noodles." It's in the dough.
>
> French toast and it's aliases present a difficulty when ordering from
> menus on travels to foreign lands.
>
> Crepes and omelettes (accents and spelling aside) are pretty much
> commonly accepted dish names worldwide.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I'll correct you Andy. You're replying to the wrong guy. I'm not
James. I'm Henry. However, you replied to the right guy, just the
wrong nym.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 27, 2012 11:42:23 AM UTC-5, James Silverton wrote:

> I think I am right in saying that in US usage, "Egg Bread" means bread
> with egg in the dough such as Challah?

To me too, but I point out that challah, especially if a bit stale and cut thick, makes fabulous french toast.

Jerry
--
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to
one who is striking at the root. — Henry David Thoreau.