Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you eat French Toast?

In my family, we mixed eggs and milk and soaked the bread in that. To
do it right, you fry the bread in bacon grease. To eat it, we would
spread the toast with butter and sprinkle salt on it and eat it. I
never heard of syrup or powdered sugar or the like until I was in
college. How do you fix your French Toast?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-01-24, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> college. How do you fix your French Toast?

Without any egg extenders!

I was raised on egg/milk mixture, for both scrambled eggs and Fr toast. I
later realized, with the milk, scrambled eggs weep and Fr toast is
soggy. Scrambled eggs require no milk or cream and they only cause
weeping of the cooked eggs as the water in the milk drains out. Ick!
I can see using milk/eggs in Fr toast if the toast is thick slices of
Fr bread. Otherwise, unnecessary. Jes let the bread soak in the egg
mixture a little longer. It'll soak in. I may try eggnog Fr toast,
though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2013 11:06 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> In my family, we mixed eggs and milk and soaked the bread in that. To
> do it right, you fry the bread in bacon grease. To eat it, we would
> spread the toast with butter and sprinkle salt on it and eat it. I
> never heard of syrup or powdered sugar or the like until I was in
> college. How do you fix your French Toast?
> Janet US

I like French Toast but I wouldn't use bacon grease for sweet toast.
Butter or olive oil in a non-stick pan would be how I'd do it. I would
also use vanilla and sugar in the egg mixture and eat it with maple
syrup. I sometimes do make French Toast without sugar and eat it with
ketchup!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Jan 2013 16:13:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-01-24, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> college. How do you fix your French Toast?

>Without any egg extenders!
>
>I was raised on egg/milk mixture, for both scrambled eggs and Fr toast. I
>later realized, with the milk, scrambled eggs weep and Fr toast is
>soggy. Scrambled eggs require no milk or cream and they only cause
>weeping of the cooked eggs as the water in the milk drains out. Ick!
>I can see using milk/eggs in Fr toast if the toast is thick slices of
>Fr bread. Otherwise, unnecessary. Jes let the bread soak in the egg
>mixture a little longer. It'll soak in. I may try eggnog Fr toast,
>though.

Do your eggs at a lower temperature. The high temp wrings the water
from the protein.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-01-24, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> college. How do you fix your French Toast?

> Without any egg extenders!
>
> I was raised on egg/milk mixture, for both scrambled eggs and Fr toast. I
> later realized, with the milk, scrambled eggs weep and Fr toast is
> soggy. Scrambled eggs require no milk or cream

That's perhaps US style but on the other side of the pond, it's quite normal
to add milk and butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

>In my family, we mixed eggs and milk
> and soaked the bread in that. To do it
> right, you fry the bread in bacon grease.
> To eat it, we would spread the toast
> with butter and sprinkle salt on it and
> eat it. I never heard of syrup or
> powdered sugar or the like until I was in
> college. How do you fix your French
> Toast?

My mom use to mix eggs and milk and added a little salt and pepper.
Dipped the stale bread into the beaten mixture and fried in a little
melted margarine. We would use syrup, jam/jelly, honey, or peanut butter
on it.

I mix the milk and bread with dash pepper (no salt), cinnamon and a
little vanilla and I brown in small amount melted butter. I like it with
either maple syrup, or jam (especially if is homemade). I don't care for
powdered sugar on it, but that's the way the restaurants here do it, and
always tell them to leave it off.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> In my family, we mixed eggs and milk and soaked the bread in that. To
> do it right, you fry the bread in bacon grease. To eat it, we would
> spread the toast with butter and sprinkle salt on it and eat it. I
> never heard of syrup or powdered sugar or the like until I was in
> college. How do you fix your French Toast?
> Janet US

I haven't had it in years. When I did eat it, I would put at much powdered
sugar on it as my mom would allow, then just enough syrup to make icing out
of. I didn't so much eat it as play with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I would make a mix of maple syrup, applesauce and some kind of preserves ( prob. raspberry or blueberry) and dip the toast pieces in a puddle of this.
I don't like French toast drowned in syrup and coated with XXXX sugar, and I can't imagine salt or bacon grease coming into play.

I do mine in a dry, non-stick skillet, or, if have tons of time and want to make a lot ( for rarified guests), bake it in the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

>That's perhaps US style but on the other
> side of the pond, it's quite normal to add
> milk and butter.

Certainly not in my part of the US (Alaska) as I always add milk (2
tbsp. per egg for French Toast) and also in scrambled eggs, and I sure
don't find them "weepy", or the F. Toast soggy.

The only time I don't add milk to the eggs, is when I'm doing something
like fried rice, as for that I just beat the eggs up with a fork and
push the meat/veggies to one side of the skillet and pour in the eggs,
stirring until firm and I break them into pieces with the spoon and stir
them in to the other ingredients before serving.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 8:06*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> In my family, we mixed eggs and milk and soaked the bread in that. *To
> do it right, you fry the bread in bacon grease. *To eat it, we would
> spread the toast with butter and sprinkle salt on it and eat it. *I
> never heard of syrup or powdered sugar or the like until I was in
> college. *How do you fix your French Toast?
> Janet US

Sourdough bread. Milk and egg mix. sometimes a little cinnamon. Butter
and REAL maple syrup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> In my family, we mixed eggs and milk and soaked the bread in that. To
> do it right, you fry the bread in bacon grease. To eat it, we would
> spread the toast with butter and sprinkle salt on it and eat it. I
> never heard of syrup or powdered sugar or the like until I was in
> college. How do you fix your French Toast?
> Janet US

Fixed: milk, eggs, sometimes a little cinnamon soaked till quite wet.

Fried in butter.

served with:

Butter
syrup
fruit
warmed pie filling
whipped cream
powdered sugar
more cinnamon
stuffed with cream cheese & fruit (double cut bread)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 10:22*am, James Silverton >
wrote:
> On 1/24/2013 11:06 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:> In my family, we mixed eggs and milk and soaked the bread in that. *To
> > do it right, you fry the bread in bacon grease. *To eat it, we would
> > spread the toast with butter and sprinkle salt on it and eat it. *I
> > never heard of syrup or powdered sugar or the like until I was in
> > college. *How do you fix your French Toast?
> > Janet US

> I like French Toast but I wouldn't use bacon grease for sweet toast.
> Butter or olive oil in a non-stick pan would be how I'd do it. I would
> also use vanilla and sugar in the egg mixture and eat it with maple
> syrup. I sometimes do make French Toast without sugar and eat it with
> ketchup!
>
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

I don't get why you wouldn't use bacon grease for French toast. Maple
syrup spilling over onto bacon is delicious, so bacon grease would be
delicious for French toast served with syrup. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2013 2:40 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Jan 24, 10:22 am, James Silverton >
> wrote:
>> On 1/24/2013 11:06 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:> In my family, we mixed eggs and milk and soaked the bread in that. To
>>> do it right, you fry the bread in bacon grease. To eat it, we would
>>> spread the toast with butter and sprinkle salt on it and eat it. I
>>> never heard of syrup or powdered sugar or the like until I was in
>>> college. How do you fix your French Toast?
>>> Janet US

>> I like French Toast but I wouldn't use bacon grease for sweet toast.
>> Butter or olive oil in a non-stick pan would be how I'd do it. I would
>> also use vanilla and sugar in the egg mixture and eat it with maple
>> syrup. I sometimes do make French Toast without sugar and eat it with
>> ketchup!
>>
>> --
>> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>>
>> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

> I don't get why you wouldn't use bacon grease for French toast. Maple
> syrup spilling over onto bacon is delicious, so bacon grease would be
> delicious for French toast served with syrup. ;-)
>
> N.

To each their own of course but I don't usually like a combination of
sweet and salt. I did like the taste of pit barbeque, Maryland style,
but I discovered long ago that the combination of sugar, salt and fat
actively nauseates me.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:06:40 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>In my family, we mixed eggs and milk and soaked the bread in that. To
>do it right, you fry the bread in bacon grease. To eat it, we would
>spread the toast with butter and sprinkle salt on it and eat it. I
>never heard of syrup or powdered sugar or the like until I was in
>college. How do you fix your French Toast?
>Janet US

Cooked roughly the same-- though I prefer a hearty nut bread with just
a quick flip in the milk/egg/nutmeg liquid.

Syrup- cinnimon and sugar- molasses- jelly- Always something sweet.

Powdered sugar is for sissies.

[and I'll take sausages with mine, thanks]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:06:40 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> In my family, we mixed eggs and milk and soaked the bread in that. To
> do it right, you fry the bread in bacon grease. To eat it, we would
> spread the toast with butter and sprinkle salt on it and eat it. I
> never heard of syrup or powdered sugar or the like until I was in
> college. How do you fix your French Toast?
> Janet US

Salt and NO maple syrup? Your family was "different". That's all I
can say.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I eat it with my mouth.

I suppose some people may eat it anally, but that would probably ruin
the taste....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham replied to notbob:

>> I was raised on egg/milk mixture, for both scrambled eggs and Fr toast.
>> I later realized, with the milk, scrambled eggs weep and Fr toast is
>> soggy. Scrambled eggs require no milk or cream

> That's perhaps US style but on the other side of the pond, it's quite
> normal to add milk and butter.

In the US, French toast is normally made with milk, cream, or half-and-half.
The only reason I can think of not using those items is if you're using a
poor-quality bread like Wonder Bread. Unfortunately, that style of bread is
what's most common in the market; it's much harder to find good white bread
with a substantial crumb. If I want to make French toast or bread pudding
using white bread (challah or brioche are my preference), I don't believe
that any locally-available bread meets my standards, so I'd have to make
pain de mie at home.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/2013 4:36 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> graham replied to notbob:
>
>>> I was raised on egg/milk mixture, for both scrambled eggs and Fr
>>> toast. I later realized, with the milk, scrambled eggs weep and Fr
>>> toast is soggy. Scrambled eggs require no milk or cream

>> That's perhaps US style but on the other side of the pond, it's quite
>> normal to add milk and butter.

> In the US, French toast is normally made with milk, cream, or
> half-and-half. The only reason I can think of not using those items is
> if you're using a poor-quality bread like Wonder Bread. Unfortunately,
> that style of bread is what's most common in the market; it's much
> harder to find good white bread with a substantial crumb. If I want to
> make French toast or bread pudding using white bread (challah or brioche
> are my preference), I don't believe that any locally-available bread
> meets my standards, so I'd have to make pain de mie at home.
>
> Bob

I bake challah for French toast. I use egg and milk or cream, whatever
is in the fridge.

I thought this thread would be about what's on top of the French toast.
I was raised with powdered sugar and cinnamon on my French toast and a
drop of vanilla whisked in with the egg and milk soak.

First husband put syrup on his French toast. I was agog. When second
husband did the same, I started to think there was more than one way to
top French toast. Now I realize that the powdered sugar and cinnamon
topping was not what most people do.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" wrote in message

In my family, we mixed eggs and milk and soaked the bread in that. To
do it right, you fry the bread in bacon grease. To eat it, we would
spread the toast with butter and sprinkle salt on it and eat it. I
never heard of syrup or powdered sugar or the like until I was in
college. How do you fix your French Toast?
Janet US

~~~~~~~~
I no longer eat French toast, but when I was growing up we used butter and
syrup, never salt or powdered sugar.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:50:29 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 1/25/2013 4:36 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> graham replied to notbob:

>>> That's perhaps US style but on the other side of the pond, it's quite
>>> normal to add milk and butter.

>> In the US, French toast is normally made with milk, cream, or
>> half-and-half. The only reason I can think of not using those items is
>> if you're using a poor-quality bread like Wonder Bread. Unfortunately,
>> that style of bread is what's most common in the market; it's much
>> harder to find good white bread with a substantial crumb. If I want to
>> make French toast or bread pudding using white bread (challah or brioche
>> are my preference), I don't believe that any locally-available bread
>> meets my standards, so I'd have to make pain de mie at home.
>>
>> Bob

>I bake challah for French toast. I use egg and milk or cream, whatever
>is in the fridge.
>
>I thought this thread would be about what's on top of the French toast.
> I was raised with powdered sugar and cinnamon on my French toast and a
>drop of vanilla whisked in with the egg and milk soak.
>
>First husband put syrup on his French toast. I was agog. When second
>husband did the same, I started to think there was more than one way to
>top French toast. Now I realize that the powdered sugar and cinnamon
>topping was not what most people do.

Imagine my surprise when no one here said they used butter and salt as
I do.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:50:29 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

-snip-
>>First husband put syrup on his French toast. I was agog. When second
>>husband did the same, I started to think there was more than one way to
>>top French toast. Now I realize that the powdered sugar and cinnamon
>>topping was not what most people do.

>Imagine my surprise when no one here said they used butter and salt as
>I do.
>Janet US

Are you both southern gals? We northerners like to sweeten things
up. Some have been known to put syrup on grits.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 21:31:29 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:50:29 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>-snip-
>>>First husband put syrup on his French toast. I was agog. When second
>>>husband did the same, I started to think there was more than one way to
>>>top French toast. Now I realize that the powdered sugar and cinnamon
>>>topping was not what most people do.

>>Imagine my surprise when no one here said they used butter and salt as
>>I do.
>>Janet US

>Are you both southern gals? We northerners like to sweeten things
>up. Some have been known to put syrup on grits.<g>
>
>Jim

no, I'm northern and my maternal and paternal grandparents all
immigrated to the northern states.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 1/25/2013 4:36 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> graham replied to notbob:

>>> That's perhaps US style but on the other side of the pond, it's quite
>>> normal to add milk and butter.

>> In the US, French toast is normally made with milk, cream, or
>> half-and-half. The only reason I can think of not using those items is
>> if you're using a poor-quality bread like Wonder Bread. Unfortunately,
>> that style of bread is what's most common in the market; it's much
>> harder to find good white bread with a substantial crumb. If I want to
>> make French toast or bread pudding using white bread (challah or brioche
>> are my preference), I don't believe that any locally-available bread
>> meets my standards, so I'd have to make pain de mie at home.
>>
>> Bob

> I bake challah for French toast. I use egg and milk or cream, whatever is
> in the fridge.
>
> I thought this thread would be about what's on top of the French toast. I
> was raised with powdered sugar and cinnamon on my French toast and a drop
> of vanilla whisked in with the egg and milk soak.
>
> First husband put syrup on his French toast. I was agog. When second
> husband did the same, I started to think there was more than one way to
> top French toast. Now I realize that the powdered sugar and cinnamon
> topping was not what most people do.

I had a friend who put butter on top. I have put cinnamon in the eggs. But
always the powdered sugar on top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
news
> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:50:29 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> -snip-
>>>First husband put syrup on his French toast. I was agog. When second
>>>husband did the same, I started to think there was more than one way to
>>>top French toast. Now I realize that the powdered sugar and cinnamon
>>>topping was not what most people do.

>>Imagine my surprise when no one here said they used butter and salt as
>>I do.
>>Janet US

> Are you both southern gals? We northerners like to sweeten things
> up. Some have been known to put syrup on grits.<g>

When I did eat grits, I put butter and syrup. Did not like them too much
with cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aunt A mine A makes my french toast
thats wht i aim haveing this morning

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2013 1:40 PM, Nancy2 wrote:

> I don't get why you wouldn't use bacon grease for French toast. Maple
> syrup spilling over onto bacon is delicious, so bacon grease would be
> delicious for French toast served with syrup. ;-)
>
> N.

Pancakes cooked in bacon fat is also delicious, if you like bacon. My
grandmother made oven-baked French Toast and I like this better than
frying it, especially on holiday mornings.

Oven baked French Toast

1 lb. loaf stale French bread, diagonally sliced in 1" pieces
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups Half & Half
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/3 cup sugar (or Splenda)
3/4 cup butter

Butter a half sheet pan and arrange bread slices in the bottom.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla,
cinnamon and sugar. Pour over bread slices, then dot the bread with
plenty of butter, the butter helps the french toast get nice and brown.

Cover, and refrigerate overnight (before I add the butter, I flip the
bread over a couple of times, until it begins to get soft, then I quit
or the bread will tear. By some miracle, the bread soaks up most of the
liquid).

Bake in a 350 degree oven, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool
for at least 5 minutes, or the bread will stick to the pan. Cover with
powdered sugar, then serve. You will probably not need syrup, this
French toast is sweet.

Note: I have made this with Splenda and it turned out fine.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:26:54 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> My
> grandmother made oven-baked French Toast and I like this better than
> frying it, especially on holiday mornings.
>
> Oven baked French Toast
>
> 1 lb. loaf stale French bread, diagonally sliced in 1" pieces
> 8 eggs
> 2 cups milk
> 1 1/2 cups Half & Half
> 2 tsp. vanilla extract
> 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
> 1 1/3 cup sugar (or Splenda)
> 3/4 cup butter
>
> Butter a half sheet pan and arrange bread slices in the bottom.
> In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla,
> cinnamon and sugar. Pour over bread slices, then dot the bread with
> plenty of butter, the butter helps the french toast get nice and brown.
>

> Cover, and refrigerate overnight (before I add the butter, I flip the
> bread over a couple of times, until it begins to get soft, then I quit
> or the bread will tear. By some miracle, the bread soaks up most of the
> liquid).
>

> Bake in a 350 degree oven, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool
> for at least 5 minutes, or the bread will stick to the pan. Cover with
> powdered sugar, then serve. You will probably not need syrup, this
> French toast is sweet.
>

> Note: I have made this with Splenda and it turned out fine.

I need to try that the next time the entire family spends the night
here! Thanks for the warning about sweetness. I'll cut way back on
the sugar, because I like lots of maple syrup on mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-01-24 16:06:40 +0000, Janet Bostwick said:

> In my family, we mixed eggs and milk and soaked the bread in that. To
> do it right, you fry the bread in bacon grease. To eat it, we would
> spread the toast with butter and sprinkle salt on it and eat it. I
> never heard of syrup or powdered sugar or the like until I was in
> college. How do you fix your French Toast?

Salt? That's surprising.

I eat both French toast and pancakes with a drizzle of molasses. Though
I spent my early years in Oklahoma and Texas, I was relatively
surprised that molasses simply could not be found at Norm's, Denny's or
even IHOP. That makes no sense to me.

So I only eat it thataway at home. At restaurants I sulk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/01/2013 1:24 PM, gtr wrote:

> I eat both French toast and pancakes with a drizzle of molasses. Though
> I spent my early years in Oklahoma and Texas, I was relatively surprised
> that molasses simply could not be found at Norm's, Denny's or even
> IHOP. That makes no sense to me.
>
> So I only eat it thataway at home. At restaurants I sulk.

I rarely get either in restaurants. They are almost always a
disappointment, and especially disappointing in places that specialize
in pancakes. I was raised with a decent syrup hat was a mix of real
maple and artificial. I later developed a taste for real maple. The
pancakes and french toast in restaurants are disappointing in their own
right, but the horrible syrup served with them makes them even worse.
There is one local place that has acceptable pancakes, but not as good
as my home made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote about pancakes and French toast:

> I rarely get either in restaurants. They are almost always a
> disappointment, and especially disappointing in places that specialize in
> pancakes.

The absolute worst pancakes, the utter bottom of the barrel, are the ones
cooked up and served by the U. S. Navy. They've got a magical power: When
you pour syrup on them, the syrup simply disappears, and the pancakes still
taste like sawdust. Now, clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz claims to
have been a cook in that selfsame navy, so maybe he can answer this: Pussy,
what do you *do* to make those pancakes so bad?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-01-30 03:19:58 +0000, Bob Terwilliger said:

> Dave Smith wrote about pancakes and French toast:
>
>> I rarely get either in restaurants. They are almost always a
>> disappointment, and especially disappointing in places that specialize
>> in pancakes.

> The absolute worst pancakes, the utter bottom of the barrel, are the
> ones cooked up and served by the U. S. Navy. They've got a magical
> power: When you pour syrup on them, the syrup simply disappears, and
> the pancakes still taste like sawdust.

I once had a girlfriend who, at my pleading, made buckwheat cakes. My
mom had made them and I like them plenty, again with molasses. My
girlfriend's hotcakes did have that curious quality of being amazingly
absorptive and texturally unpleasant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Troll of the month

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> The absolute worst pancakes, the utter bottom of the barrel, are the ones
> cooked up and served by the U. S. Navy. They've got a magical power: When
> you pour syrup on them, the syrup simply disappears, and the pancakes still
> taste like sawdust. Now, clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz claims to
> have been a cook in that selfsame navy, so maybe he can answer this: Pussy,
> what do you *do* to make those pancakes so bad?

Would you say you're pushing Shelley's buttons or lighting his fuse?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> I once had a girlfriend who, at my pleading, made buckwheat cakes. My
> mom had made them and I like them plenty, again with molasses. My
> girlfriend's hotcakes did have that curious quality of being amazingly
> absorptive and texturally unpleasant.

As Terw pointed out, Shelley aims for that used-condom texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:26:54 PM UTC-5, Ema Nymton wrote:

> Pancakes cooked in bacon fat is also delicious, if you like bacon. My
>
> grandmother made oven-baked French Toast and I like this better than
>
> frying it, especially on holiday mornings.
>

> Oven baked French Toast
>

> 1 lb. loaf stale French bread, diagonally sliced in 1" pieces
>
> 8 eggs
>
> 2 cups milk
>
> 1 1/2 cups Half & Half
>
> 2 tsp. vanilla extract
>
> 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
>
> 1 1/3 cup sugar (or Splenda)
>
> 3/4 cup butter
>

> Butter a half sheet pan and arrange bread slices in the bottom.
>
> In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla,
>
> cinnamon and sugar. Pour over bread slices, then dot the bread with
>
> plenty of butter, the butter helps the french toast get nice and brown.
>

> Cover, and refrigerate overnight (before I add the butter, I flip the
>
> bread over a couple of times, until it begins to get soft, then I quit
>
> or the bread will tear. By some miracle, the bread soaks up most of the
>
> liquid).
>

> Bake in a 350 degree oven, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool
>
> for at least 5 minutes, or the bread will stick to the pan. Cover with
>
> powdered sugar, then serve. You will probably not need syrup, this
>
> French toast is sweet.
>
> Becca

Sounds like a recipe the comic singer Christine Lavin handed out once to her audience! (She suggested including raisins or orange zest.) One of her albums is "Cold Pizza for Breakfast." I've seen her a few times - she really is funny.

http://www.christinelavin.com/index....7&page= songs
(includes lyrics and recipe)

I tend to add nutmeg as well as cinnamon.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:17:51 -0500, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> The absolute worst pancakes, the utter bottom of the barrel, are the ones
>> cooked up and served by the U. S. Navy. They've got a magical power: When
>> you pour syrup on them, the syrup simply disappears, and the pancakes still
>> taste like sawdust. Now, clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz claims to
>> have been a cook in that selfsame navy, so maybe he can answer this: Pussy,
>> what do you *do* to make those pancakes so bad?

>Would you say you're pushing Shelley's buttons or lighting his fuse?

We may never find out. Sheldon has not been able to post to
newsgroups for a few days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:54:18 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:17:51 -0500, George M. Middius
> > wrote:
>
> >Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> >
> >> The absolute worst pancakes, the utter bottom of the barrel, are the ones
> >> cooked up and served by the U. S. Navy. They've got a magical power: When
> >> you pour syrup on them, the syrup simply disappears, and the pancakes still
> >> taste like sawdust. Now, clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz claims to
> >> have been a cook in that selfsame navy, so maybe he can answer this: Pussy,
> >> what do you *do* to make those pancakes so bad?

> >Would you say you're pushing Shelley's buttons or lighting his fuse?
> >

> We may never find out. Sheldon has not been able to post to
> newsgroups for a few days.

I've seen gravesend@verizon even today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:54:18 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:17:51 -0500, George M. Middius
> wrote:
>>
>>Would you say you're pushing Shelley's buttons or lighting his fuse.

>We may never find out. Sheldon has not been able to post to
>newsgroups for a few days.

I was able to post starting yesterday PM... Forte Agent's latest
upgrade is experiencing server problems, still.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 29/01/2013 1:24 PM, gtr wrote:
>
>> I eat both French toast and pancakes with a drizzle of molasses. Though
>> I spent my early years in Oklahoma and Texas, I was relatively surprised
>> that molasses simply could not be found at Norm's, Denny's or even
>> IHOP. That makes no sense to me.
>>
>> So I only eat it thataway at home. At restaurants I sulk.
>>

> I rarely get either in restaurants. They are almost always a
> disappointment, and especially disappointing in places that specialize
> in pancakes. I was raised with a decent syrup hat was a mix of real
> maple and artificial. I later developed a taste for real maple. The
> pancakes and french toast in restaurants are disappointing in their own
> right, but the horrible syrup served with them makes them even worse.
> There is one local place that has acceptable pancakes, but not as good
> as my home made.

Ah, back when my daughter and I would go out for breakfast, we
brought our own syrup as self-defense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote about pancakes and French toast:
>
>> I rarely get either in restaurants. They are almost always a
>> disappointment, and especially disappointing in places that specialize
>> in pancakes.

> The absolute worst pancakes, the utter bottom of the barrel, are the
> ones cooked up and served by the U. S. Navy. They've got a magical
> power: When you pour syrup on them, the syrup simply disappears, and the
> pancakes still taste like sawdust. [snip]

That's interesting. My daughter has spoken many times over the
years of pancakes that were as dry as sawdust, which she ate in
New Mexico. I wonder whether the chef was Navy-trained?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 23:28:53 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 29/01/2013 1:24 PM, gtr wrote:
> >
> >> I eat both French toast and pancakes with a drizzle of molasses. Though
> >> I spent my early years in Oklahoma and Texas, I was relatively surprised
> >> that molasses simply could not be found at Norm's, Denny's or even
> >> IHOP. That makes no sense to me.
> >>
> >> So I only eat it thataway at home. At restaurants I sulk.
> >>

> > I rarely get either in restaurants. They are almost always a
> > disappointment, and especially disappointing in places that specialize
> > in pancakes. I was raised with a decent syrup hat was a mix of real
> > maple and artificial. I later developed a taste for real maple. The
> > pancakes and french toast in restaurants are disappointing in their own
> > right, but the horrible syrup served with them makes them even worse.
> > There is one local place that has acceptable pancakes, but not as good
> > as my home made.
> >

> Ah, back when my daughter and I would go out for breakfast, we
> brought our own syrup as self-defense.

I don't get it. Why bother eating out if that's the case?