Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default It's finally happened

Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
with a case of "Gimpy Grip".

Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
Good Grip jar opener:

https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html

----similar, but older-----

Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:00:33 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
>with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>
>Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
> I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
>twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
>Good Grip jar opener:
>
>https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
>
>----similar, but older-----
>
>Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|

You'll purchase a 2qt pot. Older people eat less anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message ...

Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
with a case of "Gimpy Grip".

Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
Good Grip jar opener:

https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html

----similar, but older-----

Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|

nb

==

Oh heck. Join the club. Fortunately my husband can manage all that LOL

I reckon you need a muscular wife <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 3:28:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "notbob" wrote in message ...
>
> Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
> with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>
> Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
> I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
> twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
> Good Grip jar opener:
>
> https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
>
> ----similar, but older-----
>
> Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|
>
> nb
>
> ==
>
> Oh heck. Join the club. Fortunately my husband can manage all that LOL
>
> I reckon you need a muscular wife <g>

That's what my husband did. <g>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:00:33 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
>with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>
>Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
> I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
>twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
>Good Grip jar opener:
>
>https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
>
>----similar, but older-----
>
>Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|
>
>nb

Don't get fussed about it, I can tell you, from experience, if you
have any brain at all you will invent or contrive ways to overcome

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 07:04:26 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:00:33 -0700, notbob > wrote:
>
>>Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
>>with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>>
>>Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
>> I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
>>twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
>>Good Grip jar opener:
>>
>>https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
>>
>>----similar, but older-----
>>
>>Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|

>You'll purchase a 2qt pot. Older people eat less anyway.

That doesn't follow - I have that huge pot of chili in the freezer, I
managed to get it in there and I'm sure I will manage to retrieve it,
with difficulty maybe, but it will be done.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-15 5:35 p.m., wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:00:33 -0700, notbob > wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
>> with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>>
>> Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
>> I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
>> twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
>> Good Grip jar opener:

https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html

>> ----similar, but older-----
>>
>> Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|
>>
>> nb

> Don't get fussed about it, I can tell you, from experience, if you
> have any brain at all you will invent or contrive ways to overcome

How do you manage?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 18:36:47 -0400, wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 07:04:26 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:00:33 -0700, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
>>>with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>>>
>>>Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
>>> I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
>>>twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
>>>Good Grip jar opener:

https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html

>>>----similar, but older-----
>>>
>>>Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|

>>You'll purchase a 2qt pot. Older people eat less anyway.

>That doesn't follow - I have that huge pot of chili in the freezer, I
>managed to get it in there and I'm sure I will manage to retrieve it,
>with difficulty maybe, but it will be done.

If you can get it in, you can get it out. But the OP was talking about
when he won't be able to lift it anymore.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2018 3:00 PM, notbob wrote:
> Yes, it's finally happened.Â* I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
> with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>
> Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
> Â*I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
> twist-top bottles are a bother.Â* I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
> Good Grip jar opener:
>
> https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
>
> ----similar, but older-----
>
> Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot?Â* 8|
>
> nb

That gives you leverage but still needs strength. Once you break the
seal, it is easy to open. Use this
http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...=2,40733,40734
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2018 5:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> That gives you leverage but still needs strength.Â* Once you break the
> seal, it is easy to open.Â* Use this
> http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...=2,40733,40734

I'm not a big Lee Valley fan.

I've bought from them in the past and will probably buy from them, in
the future, but I'm quite aware of a lot of their goods. Their
Christmas catalog was mostly over-priced plastic junk. LIke this:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...733,40734&ap=2

AT least yers is metal.

Besides, how does that gizmo work? Will it take off "screw-on caps" as
small as 1-1/4"? I ask, cuz hey, I may need it one day.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2018 7:53 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 12/15/2018 5:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> That gives you leverage but still needs strength.Â* Once you break the
>> seal, it is easy to open.Â* Use this
>> http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...=2,40733,40734

> I'm not a big Lee Valley fan.
>
> I've bought from them in the past and will probably buy from them, in
> the future, but I'm quite aware of a lot of their goods.Â* Their
> Christmas catalog was mostly over-priced plastic junk.Â* LIke this:
>
> http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...733,40734&ap=2
>
> AT least yers is metal.
>
> Besides, how does that gizmo work?Â* Will it take off "screw-on caps" as
> small as 1-1/4"?Â* I ask, cuz hey, I may need it one day.Â*
>
> nb

Anything with a lip that can be pried to pop the vacuum/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 12/15/2018 5:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> That gives you leverage but still needs strength. Once you break the
>> seal, it is easy to open. Use this
>> http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...=2,40733,40734

> I'm not a big Lee Valley fan.
>
> I've bought from them in the past and will probably buy from them, in
> the future, but I'm quite aware of a lot of their goods. Their
> Christmas catalog was mostly over-priced plastic junk. LIke this:
>
> http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...733,40734&ap=2
>

> AT least yers is metal.
>
> Besides, how does that gizmo work? Will it take off "screw-on caps"
> as small as 1-1/4"? I ask, cuz hey, I may need it one day.
>
> nb

You need one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 12/15/2018 3:00 PM, notbob wrote:
>> Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
>> with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>>
>> Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
>> Â I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
>> twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
>> Good Grip jar opener:
>>
>> https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
>>
>> ----similar, but older-----
>>
>> Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|
>>
>> nb

> That gives you leverage but still needs strength. Once you break the
> seal, it is easy to open. Use this
> http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...=2,40733,40734

I have this one, I love it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...127c:rk:1:pf:0

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 12/15/2018 3:00 PM, notbob wrote:
>> Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
>> with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>>
>> Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
>> Â I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
>> twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
>> Good Grip jar opener:
>>
>> https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
>>
>> ----similar, but older-----
>>
>> Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|
>>
>> nb

> That gives you leverage but still needs strength. Once you break the
> seal, it is easy to open. Use this
> http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...=2,40733,40734

I have this one, I love it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...127c:rk:1:pf:0

Cheri

==

The other day I couldn't get the tops off a bottle of oyster sauce and a
very
small bottle of vanilla. Even D. had to exert himself hard to get them off.
So given that, I didn't have a hope

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Dec 2018, Ophelia wrote
(in article >):

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 12/15/2018 3:00 PM, notbob wrote:
> > > Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
> > > with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
> > >
> > > Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
> > > Â I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
> > > twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
> > > Good Grip jar opener:
> > >
> > > https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
> > >
> > > ----similar, but older-----
> > >
> > > Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|
> > >
> > > nb

> > That gives you leverage but still needs strength. Once you break the
> > seal, it is easy to open. Use this
> > http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...=2,40733,40734

> I have this one, I love it.
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...er/39182402009
> 2?hash=item5b3a88127c:rk:1f:0
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> The other day I couldn't get the tops off a bottle of oyster sauce and a
> very
> small bottle of vanilla. Even D. had to exert himself hard to get them off.
> So given that, I didn't have a hope

I just bash the lids on the side of a wooden table. That always seems to work
as the vacuum vanishes and pressures are equalised.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
news.com...

On 16 Dec 2018, Ophelia wrote
(in article >):

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 12/15/2018 3:00 PM, notbob wrote:
> > > Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
> > > with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
> > >
> > > Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda
> > > aid.
> > > Â I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
> > > twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old
> > > OXO
> > > Good Grip jar opener:
> > >
> > > https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
> > >
> > > ----similar, but older-----
> > >
> > > Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|
> > >
> > > nb

> > That gives you leverage but still needs strength. Once you break the
> > seal, it is easy to open. Use this
> > http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...=2,40733,40734

> I have this one, I love it.
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...er/39182402009
> 2?hash=item5b3a88127c:rk:1f:0
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> The other day I couldn't get the tops off a bottle of oyster sauce and a
> very
> small bottle of vanilla. Even D. had to exert himself hard to get them
> off.
> So given that, I didn't have a hope

I just bash the lids on the side of a wooden table. That always seems to
work
as the vacuum vanishes and pressures are equalised.

==

I might give that a try, although it wouldn't help much with the wee bottle
of vanilla

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
> with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>
> Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
> I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
> twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
> Good Grip jar opener:
>
> https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
>
> ----similar, but older-----
>
> Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|

a lot of jars have a lip under the twist on lid
that if you can get a wide screwdriver or knife in
there you can pry it to break the seal which often
makes getting the lid off much easier. not 100%
foolproof but worth a shot.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't see how most woman can open a G of milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2018 1:27 AM, Cheri wrote:

> I have this one, I love it.
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...127c:rk:1:pf:0

I have that, too. It works really well, even on little bottle tops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2018 5:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I might give that a try, although it wouldn't help much with the wee
> bottle of vanilla

You could try an ordinary pair of pliers from the toolbox, perhaps
cushioned with a bit of silicone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 18:14:15 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-12-15 5:35 p.m., wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:00:33 -0700, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
>>> with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>>>
>>> Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
>>> I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
>>> twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
>>> Good Grip jar opener:

https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html

>>> ----similar, but older-----
>>>
>>> Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|
>>>
>>> nb

>> Don't get fussed about it, I can tell you, from experience, if you
>> have any brain at all you will invent or contrive ways to overcome
>>

>How do you manage?

Sometimes with difficulty but there is always a solution. One was
moving a fermentor between kitchen and closet where I make the wine
with 21 litres of water in it. So 4 pieces of wood with two beneath,
maybe 12" x 12" with a set of four casters under it and now it is a
breeze. That miniature dolly is great for many other things as well,
couldn't do without it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 10:16:44 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 18:36:47 -0400, wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 07:04:26 +1100, Bruce >
>>wrote:

https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html

>>>You'll purchase a 2qt pot. Older people eat less anyway.

>>That doesn't follow - I have that huge pot of chili in the freezer, I
>>managed to get it in there and I'm sure I will manage to retrieve it,
>>with difficulty maybe, but it will be done.

>If you can get it in, you can get it out. But the OP was talking about
>when he won't be able to lift it anymore.

I think of my grandmother, she always said 'where there's a will,
there's a way' and also 'needs must when the devil drives' - I am not
being unkind to nb, merely saying it all works out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 12/16/2018 5:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I might give that a try, although it wouldn't help much with the wee
> bottle of vanilla

You could try an ordinary pair of pliers from the toolbox, perhaps
cushioned with a bit of silicone.

==

Aye, I would have if I were really stuck. D. did it as usual)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I don't see how most woman can open a G of milk.

You wuss! ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2018 11:27 PM, Cheri wrote:

> I have this one, I love it.
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...127c:rk:1:pf:0

If you have an old "Swing-A-Way", keep it. The new ones are made in
China and are junk. I know. I've bought 3 and tossed 'em all fer
"non-functionability".

BTW, thanks for the link, but I have an older OXO lid removal tool.

Also, the suggestion one "bangs jar on wooden table" is similar to what
I would do if a lid becomes "impossible". Strike the lid with glancing
blows, with the back of a butter knife, in the direction of "lid
removal". I've done the same with a cold chisel and hammer on a
hard-to-remove nut. Works every time!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

All I do is whack around the edge of the lid with the handle of a heavy stainless table knife, and
then give it a good thump right in the center, and it is easily opened...or at least easy enough
for my strength (which is lessening). It doesn't interfere with any leak-proof abilities of the lid.

Or you can whack the lid's edge on a sturdy countertop, turning the jar as you go. That
works, too. No need to buy any kind of device.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message ...

On 12/15/2018 11:27 PM, Cheri wrote:

> I have this one, I love it.
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...127c:rk:1:pf:0

If you have an old "Swing-A-Way", keep it. The new ones are made in
China and are junk. I know. I've bought 3 and tossed 'em all fer
"non-functionability".

BTW, thanks for the link, but I have an older OXO lid removal tool.

Also, the suggestion one "bangs jar on wooden table" is similar to what
I would do if a lid becomes "impossible". Strike the lid with glancing
blows, with the back of a butter knife, in the direction of "lid
removal". I've done the same with a cold chisel and hammer on a
hard-to-remove nut. Works every time!

nb

==

What I have done with a jar lid when I didn't have any help <;p) was hit all
around the lid with the back of a knife. That has worked in the past.

It was the wee bottle of vanilla that was the real problem. That lid is
really tiny.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 7:48:34 AM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> On 12/15/2018 11:27 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
> > I have this one, I love it.
> >
> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...127c:rk:1:pf:0

> If you have an old "Swing-A-Way", keep it. The new ones are made in
> China and are junk. I know. I've bought 3 and tossed 'em all fer
> "non-functionability".
>
> BTW, thanks for the link, but I have an older OXO lid removal tool.
>
> Also, the suggestion one "bangs jar on wooden table" is similar to what
> I would do if a lid becomes "impossible". Strike the lid with glancing
> blows, with the back of a butter knife, in the direction of "lid
> removal". I've done the same with a cold chisel and hammer on a
> hard-to-remove nut. Works every time!
>
> nb

And if you have an oxyacetylene torch, if you heat up a lower shock mount on an a old aircooled VW to cherry red, I have never found a nut that won't wrench right OFF!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I had an impossible lid on a jar of garlic. I ended up punching a screwdriver through the lid to release the vaccuum. Placed a piece of tape over the hole.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2018 7:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> It was the wee bottle of vanilla that was the real problem. That lid is
> really tiny.

Been there, played that game.

A small bottle of McCormick's Imitation Vanilla, right?

I'd be reaching for the Sears channel-locks, which I keep in the bottom
drawer.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 12/15/2018 3:00 PM, notbob wrote:
>>> Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
>>> with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>>>
>>> Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
>>> Â I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
>>> twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
>>> Good Grip jar opener:
>>>
>>> https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
>>>
>>> ----similar, but older-----
>>>
>>> Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|
>>>
>>> nb

>> That gives you leverage but still needs strength. Once you break the
>> seal, it is easy to open. Use this
>> http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...=2,40733,40734

> I have this one, I love it.
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...127c:rk:1:pf:0
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> The other day I couldn't get the tops off a bottle of oyster sauce and a
> very
> small bottle of vanilla. Even D. had to exert himself hard to get them
> off. So given that, I didn't have a hope

Pliers!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 12/16/2018 5:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I might give that a try, although it wouldn't help much with the wee
>> bottle of vanilla
>>

> You could try an ordinary pair of pliers from the toolbox, perhaps
> cushioned with a bit of silicone.

I should have read aheaad.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 9:27:31 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "notbob" wrote in message ...
>
> On 12/15/2018 11:27 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
> > I have this one, I love it.
> >
> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...127c:rk:1:pf:0

> If you have an old "Swing-A-Way", keep it. The new ones are made in
> China and are junk. I know. I've bought 3 and tossed 'em all fer
> "non-functionability".
>
> BTW, thanks for the link, but I have an older OXO lid removal tool.
>
> Also, the suggestion one "bangs jar on wooden table" is similar to what
> I would do if a lid becomes "impossible". Strike the lid with glancing
> blows, with the back of a butter knife, in the direction of "lid
> removal". I've done the same with a cold chisel and hammer on a
> hard-to-remove nut. Works every time!
>
> nb
>
> ==
>
> What I have done with a jar lid when I didn't have any help <;p) was hit all
> around the lid with the back of a knife. That has worked in the past.
>
> It was the wee bottle of vanilla that was the real problem. That lid is
> really tiny.

Slip-joint pliers:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_joint_pliers>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message ...

On 12/16/2018 7:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> It was the wee bottle of vanilla that was the real problem. That lid is
> really tiny.

Been there, played that game.

A small bottle of McCormick's Imitation Vanilla, right?

I'd be reaching for the Sears channel-locks, which I keep in the bottom
drawer.

nb

==

Not that one but it sure sounds the same size)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 12/15/2018 3:00 PM, notbob wrote:
>>> Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
>>> with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>>>
>>> Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
>>> Â I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
>>> twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
>>> Good Grip jar opener:
>>>
>>> https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
>>>
>>> ----similar, but older-----
>>>
>>> Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|
>>>
>>> nb

>> That gives you leverage but still needs strength. Once you break the
>> seal, it is easy to open. Use this
>> http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...=2,40733,40734

> I have this one, I love it.
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...127c:rk:1:pf:0
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> The other day I couldn't get the tops off a bottle of oyster sauce and a
> very
> small bottle of vanilla. Even D. had to exert himself hard to get them
> off. So given that, I didn't have a hope

Pliers!

Cheri

==

As I said, the vanilla bottle was so tiny, but yhe Oyster sauce bottle ...
wow!! I think he nearly went for the pliers! He did manage to twist if off
though .... eventually)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 12/16/2018 5:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I might give that a try, although it wouldn't help much with the wee
>> bottle of vanilla
>>

> You could try an ordinary pair of pliers from the toolbox, perhaps
> cushioned with a bit of silicone.

I should have read aheaad.

Cheri

==

Why?? Great minds think alike you yannow)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 9:27:31 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "notbob" wrote in message ...
>
> On 12/15/2018 11:27 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
> > I have this one, I love it.
> >
> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-A-Way...127c:rk:1:pf:0

> If you have an old "Swing-A-Way", keep it. The new ones are made in
> China and are junk. I know. I've bought 3 and tossed 'em all fer
> "non-functionability".
>
> BTW, thanks for the link, but I have an older OXO lid removal tool.
>
> Also, the suggestion one "bangs jar on wooden table" is similar to what
> I would do if a lid becomes "impossible". Strike the lid with glancing
> blows, with the back of a butter knife, in the direction of "lid
> removal". I've done the same with a cold chisel and hammer on a
> hard-to-remove nut. Works every time!
>
> nb
>
> ==
>
> What I have done with a jar lid when I didn't have any help <;p) was hit
> all
> around the lid with the back of a knife. That has worked in the past.
>
> It was the wee bottle of vanilla that was the real problem. That lid is
> really tiny.

Slip-joint pliers:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_joint_pliers>

Cindy Hamilton

==

Yes, I would have needed something like that if the boss hadn't managed <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 12:00:41 PM UTC-8, notbob wrote:
> Yes, it's finally happened. I'm old enough, now, to have been cursed
> with a case of "Gimpy Grip".
>
> Yep, I can no longer open a difficult jar/bottle without some kinda aid.
> I got beer bottles and the like covered (church key), but jars and
> twist-top bottles are a bother. I am beginning to use my mom's old OXO
> Good Grip jar opener:
>
> https://www.oxo.com/jar-opener-with-base-pad-438.html
>
> ----similar, but older-----
>
> Geez, what am I gonna do when I can no longer lift/pour a 4qt pot? 8|
>
> nb

I bought one of these. Mounts under the kitchen cabinet, out of the way and not noticeable.
Works on every size from a screw cap on a bottle to big wide mouth pickle jars, etc. One of the most useful things I've ever purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Off-Opener...net+jar+opener

It Finally Happened...CHEESECAKE FACTORY OFFERS DR PEPPER!!! Just Visiting Restaurants 0 31-10-2010 01:08 AM
What happened here??? foodpro Baking 1 18-08-2008 04:13 PM
It Finally Happened To Me And George Blinky the Shark General Cooking 1 24-04-2008 06:51 PM
It Happened! sf General Cooking 0 08-01-2005 08:17 PM
What happened? Rob Winemaking 2 23-10-2004 06:27 PM