Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tortilla Soup

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 06:25:21 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> That sounds really good. We're having pork roast, mashed potatoes, gravy,
>>> and acorn squash.

>> I'm probably not cooking again tomorrow. Still have leftovers. Seems that
>> my gardener is now going for a healthy concoction of things that when
>> combined would likely make most people gag, so I'm not going to list it
>> all off except to say that it's a bunch of stuff on a corn tortilla, most
>> of which IMO does not belong on any kind of tortilla.

>I do like corn tortillas, but not flour tortillas so much.
>
>Cheri

We buy both but for roll-ups we prefer flour tortillas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:15:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
t...

>In article >, Cheri >
>wrote:
>
>> I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
>> sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and learn.
>>

>I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
>very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
>if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
>down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
>We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
>she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>
>leo
>
>==
>
>You are lucky to have her)

I'm almost ascared to ask what's buttered Dutch crunch loaf?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:15:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
et...

>>In article >, Cheri >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
>>> sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and
>>> learn.
>>>

>>I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
>>very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
>>if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
>>down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
>>We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
>>she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>>
>>leo
>>
>>==
>>
>>You are lucky to have her)

> I'm almost ascared to ask what's buttered Dutch crunch loaf?

A type of bread.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> That sounds really good. We're having pork roast, mashed potatoes, gravy,
>>> and acorn squash.

>> I'm probably not cooking again tomorrow. Still have leftovers. Seems that
>> my gardener is now going for a healthy concoction of things that when
>> combined would likely make most people gag, so I'm not going to list it
>> all off except to say that it's a bunch of stuff on a corn tortilla, most
>> of which IMO does not belong on any kind of tortilla.

>I do like corn tortillas, but not flour tortillas so much.

Careful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:09:20 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>news
>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:15:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
>>>news:181220181541252668%leoblaisdell@sbcglobal. net...

>>>I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
>>>very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
>>>if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
>>>down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
>>>We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
>>>she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>>>
>>>leo
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>You are lucky to have her)

>> I'm almost ascared to ask what's buttered Dutch crunch loaf?

>A type of bread.

Give me a D.
Give me a U
Christmas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> wrote in message
>news
>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:15:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
>>>news:181220181541252668%leoblaisdell@sbcglobal. net...

>>>I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
>>>very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
>>>if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
>>>down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
>>>We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
>>>she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>>>
>>>leo
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>You are lucky to have her)

>> I'm almost ascared to ask what's buttered Dutch crunch loaf?

>A type of bread.
>
>Cheri

Looks good.
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> Looks good.
> https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006

I used to buy the rolls which were really good, but then Cottage Bakery went
out of business several years ago.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> wrote in message
>news
>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:15:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
>>>news:181220181541252668%leoblaisdell@sbcglobal. net...

>>>I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
>>>very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
>>>if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
>>>down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
>>>We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
>>>she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>>>
>>>leo
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>You are lucky to have her)

>> I'm almost ascared to ask what's buttered Dutch crunch loaf?

>A type of bread.
>
>Cheri

Looks good.
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006

==

Not available in my country(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 21:03:51 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:09:20 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>
> wrote in message
>>news

>>> I'm almost ascared to ask what's buttered Dutch crunch loaf?

>>A type of bread.
>>
>>Cheri

>Looks good.
>https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
>
>==
>
>Not available in my country(

Isn't it the same as a tiger bread?
<http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7049/tiger-bread.aspx>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:09:20 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>
> wrote in message
>>news

>>> I'm almost ascared to ask what's buttered Dutch crunch loaf?

>>A type of bread.
>>
>>Cheri

>Looks good.
>https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
>
>==
>
>Not available in my country(

Isn't it the same as a tiger bread?
<http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7049/tiger-bread.aspx>

==

I don't think so, but I could be wrong

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018"Ophelia"wrote:
>On Wed, 19"Cheri"wrote:
>><penmart01 wrote:

>>> I'm almost ascared to ask what's buttered Dutch crunch loaf?

>>A type of bread.
>>
>>Cheri

>Looks good.
>https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
>
>==
>
>Not available in my country(

I'd say one needs to bake their own... doesn't look too difficult...
especially for one who claims to bake their own bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Ophelia wrote:

> > > I usually change a lot of them out too.
> > >
> > > Cheri
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > It's great to experiment, eh? )

> > Thats what real cooks do. Some may try the recipe 'as written' the
> > first time but I tend to blend 3-4 recipes and select what we like
> > among them. Like when I came up with our home sausage blend? I
> > used 4 recipes and saw what we liked the best then blended the mix
> > from that.

> I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
> sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and
> learn.
>
> Cheri

Same here, but no blame on the recipe if so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >, Cheri
> > wrote:
>
> > I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us,
> > but sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live
> > and learn.

> I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
> very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the
> fridge if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the
> meal down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
> We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
> she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>
> leo

What are Buttered Cruch Dutch loaves?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "Cheri" wrote in message news > >
> >"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > >

> >> "Cheri" wrote in message news > >>"cshenk" > wrote in message

> >> Same here, cookies, pies etc.
> > >
> >> Cheri
> >> ==
> > >
> >> I rarely stick to a given recipe

> > I usually change a lot of them out too.
> >
> > Cheri
> >
> > ==
> >
> > It's great to experiment, eh? )

> Thats what real cooks do. Some may try the recipe 'as written' the
> first time but I tend to blend 3-4 recipes and select what we like
> among them. Like when I came up with our home sausage blend? I used
> 4 recipes and saw what we liked the best then blended the mix from
> that.
>
> ==
>
> In many cases here there are things D. dislikes so I leave them out
> and sub something else. Not always though. I just get an idea about
> something and try it out

That makes sense. We know 'spicey' doesnt really fit there and that is
fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018"Ophelia"wrote:
>On Wed, 19"Cheri"wrote:
>><penmart01 wrote:

>>> I'm almost ascared to ask what's buttered Dutch crunch loaf?

>>A type of bread.
>>
>>Cheri

>Looks good.
>https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
>
>==
>
>Not available in my country(

I'd say one needs to bake their own... doesn't look too difficult...
especially for one who claims to bake their own bread.

==

I'd say that one could indeed bake their own bread, but only if one has a
the specific recipe one is looking for!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 10:03:49 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 19 Dec 2018"Ophelia"wrote:

>>>A type of bread.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>>Looks good.
>>https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
>>
>>==
>>
>>Not available in my country(

>I'd say one needs to bake their own... doesn't look too difficult...
>especially for one who claims to bake their own bread.
>
>==
>
>I'd say that one could indeed bake their own bread, but only if one has a
>the specific recipe one is looking for!

I posted the recipe, scroll up a few lines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> That sounds really good. We're having pork roast, mashed potatoes,
>>> gravy, and acorn squash.

>> I'm probably not cooking again tomorrow. Still have leftovers. Seems that
>> my gardener is now going for a healthy concoction of things that when
>> combined would likely make most people gag, so I'm not going to list it
>> all off except to say that it's a bunch of stuff on a corn tortilla, most
>> of which IMO does not belong on any kind of tortilla.

> I do like corn tortillas, but not flour tortillas so much.

I'm a tortilla snob. Some of the flour ones are just not very good. My main
issue with the corn ones is that if they're not super fresh, they crack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:09:20 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> wrote in message
>>news

>>> I'm almost ascared to ask what's buttered Dutch crunch loaf?

>>A type of bread.
>>
>>Cheri

> Looks good.
> https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006

OMG! I am sooo making this!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 21:03:51 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>wrote in message ...
>>
>>On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:09:20 -0800, "Cheri" >
>>wrote:
>>
> wrote in message
>>>news >>>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:15:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >

>>>A type of bread.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>>Looks good.
>>https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
>>
>>==
>>
>>Not available in my country(

> Isn't it the same as a tiger bread?
> <http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7049/tiger-bread.aspx>

Similar but not quite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018"Ophelia"wrote:

>>>A type of bread.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>>Looks good.
>>https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
>>
>>==
>>
>>Not available in my country(

> I'd say one needs to bake their own... doesn't look too difficult...
> especially for one who claims to bake their own bread.

I think she meant that the recipe isn't available in her country.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018"Ophelia"wrote:

>>>A type of bread.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>>Looks good.
>>https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
>>
>>==
>>
>>Not available in my country(

> I'd say one needs to bake their own... doesn't look too difficult...
> especially for one who claims to bake their own bread.

I think she meant that the recipe isn't available in her country.

==

Yes, thank you! That is what I said!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> I think she meant that the recipe isn't available in her country.
>
> ==
>
> Yes, thank you! That is what I said!

Here ya go, O. I copied it for you.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
Crunch Dutch Bread

* 2 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
* 1/4 cup warm water
* 1 cup milk
* 2 1/2-3 1/2 cups flour
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
*
Topping
* 1 tablespoon dry yeast
* 1/2 cup warm water
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup rice flour

Directions
1. In bowl of electric mixer, combine yeast, warm water, WARM
milk, sugar and pinch of salt. Stir to dissolve and let rest for
5 minutes until frothy. Add in vegetable oil, remaining salt and
about 2 cups flour. Using the dough hook attachment, mix at
medium speed until the dough comes together. Add remaining flour
a tablespoon or two at a time until the dough pulls away from the
sides of the bowl.
2. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about
5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly greased
bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in
warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size. Once dough has
risen, turn out again onto floured surface and divide into 6
equal portions. Shape each into a bowl and place on a parchment
lined baking sheet. Let rise for 15 minutes while you prepare
topping.
3. For topping, combine all ingredients and mix to combine and
let rest for 15 minutes til slightly frothy.
4. Once the rolls have risen a bit and the topping is frothy,
spread a generous layer on the rolls, trying to use all the
topping in a thick coat on top and sides of rolls. Let rise for
another 20 minutes. Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes, until well
browned. Let cool completely before serving.
5. *** YOU CAN USE YOUR MIXER OR HAND MIX THIS.

It does looks similar to tiger bread. You can do a google image
search to see one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> I think she meant that the recipe isn't available in her country.
>
> ==
>
> Yes, thank you! That is what I said!

Here ya go, O. I copied it for you.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
Crunch Dutch Bread

* 2 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
* 1/4 cup warm water
* 1 cup milk
* 2 1/2-3 1/2 cups flour
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
*
Topping
* 1 tablespoon dry yeast
* 1/2 cup warm water
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup rice flour

Directions
1. In bowl of electric mixer, combine yeast, warm water, WARM
milk, sugar and pinch of salt. Stir to dissolve and let rest for
5 minutes until frothy. Add in vegetable oil, remaining salt and
about 2 cups flour. Using the dough hook attachment, mix at
medium speed until the dough comes together. Add remaining flour
a tablespoon or two at a time until the dough pulls away from the
sides of the bowl.
2. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about
5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly greased
bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in
warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size. Once dough has
risen, turn out again onto floured surface and divide into 6
equal portions. Shape each into a bowl and place on a parchment
lined baking sheet. Let rise for 15 minutes while you prepare
topping.
3. For topping, combine all ingredients and mix to combine and
let rest for 15 minutes til slightly frothy.
4. Once the rolls have risen a bit and the topping is frothy,
spread a generous layer on the rolls, trying to use all the
topping in a thick coat on top and sides of rolls. Let rise for
another 20 minutes. Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes, until well
browned. Let cool completely before serving.
5. *** YOU CAN USE YOUR MIXER OR HAND MIX THIS.

It does looks similar to tiger bread. You can do a google image
search to see one.

===

Thank you, Gary! Very much appreciated!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 12:43:51 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> wrote in message
.. .

>>>Looks good.
>>>https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Not available in my country(

>> I'd say one needs to bake their own... doesn't look too difficult...
>> especially for one who claims to bake their own bread.

>I think she meant that the recipe isn't available in her country.
>
>==
>
>Yes, thank you! That is what I said!

Sounded more about that you couldn't buy the bread, not that the
website wouldn't open with your browser.

Bread

Ingredients

2 1/2teaspoons dry yeast
1/4cup warm water
1 cup milk
2 1/2-3 1/2cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2teaspoons salt

Topping

1 tablespoon dry yeast
1/2cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4teaspoon salt
3/4cup rice flour

Directions
[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2018 6:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I'm a tortilla snob. Some of the flour ones are just not very good. My
> main issue with the corn ones is that if they're not super fresh, they
> crack.

Pulleze! Store bought flour and corn tortillas are stiff before you
heat them. That's intentional. The trick is to heat them in a pan over
low heat (no oil!) until they become pliable. At that point they are
ready to work with. They won't crack or break if you heat them gently
first.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk
> wrote:

> What are Buttered Cruch Dutch loaves?

Think of a slice of French bread that you put butter on. Now replace
the slice of French bread with Dutch crunch. I buy the loaves at a
supermarket named Raley's. They have a fresh bread section, and in that
section, they sell French loaves and Dutch crunch loaves side by side.
The French look like French. The Dutch crunch look like French with
alligator skin. I like Dutch crunch better, and they're the same price.
I recently found out right here that they're a regional thing.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:43:44 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/20/2018 6:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> I'm a tortilla snob. Some of the flour ones are just not very good. My
>> main issue with the corn ones is that if they're not super fresh, they
>> crack.

>Pulleze! Store bought flour and corn tortillas are stiff before you
>heat them. That's intentional. The trick is to heat them in a pan over
>low heat (no oil!) until they become pliable. At that point they are
>ready to work with. They won't crack or break if you heat them gently
>first.
>
>Ji

Fresh tortillas, corn and flour are flexible in the store. That's
how you tell they are fresh.. That doesn't mean that you still don't
heat them to soften further when you want to eat. Never bring home a
stiff package of tortillas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >, cshenk
> > wrote:
>
>> What are Buttered Cruch Dutch loaves?

> Think of a slice of French bread that you put butter on. Now replace
> the slice of French bread with Dutch crunch. I buy the loaves at a
> supermarket named Raley's. They have a fresh bread section, and in that
> section, they sell French loaves and Dutch crunch loaves side by side.
> The French look like French. The Dutch crunch look like French with
> alligator skin. I like Dutch crunch better, and they're the same price.
> I recently found out right here that they're a regional thing.
>
> leo

I haven't seen them at Raley's here, but then I haven't really looked. I
think Raley's has wonderful fresh bread.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-20 3:32 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:43:44 -0500, jmcquown >

>> Pulleze! Store bought flour and corn tortillas are stiff before you
>> heat them. That's intentional. The trick is to heat them in a pan over
>> low heat (no oil!) until they become pliable. At that point they are
>> ready to work with. They won't crack or break if you heat them gently
>> first.
>>

> Fresh tortillas, corn and flour are flexible in the store. That's
> how you tell they are fresh.. That doesn't mean that you still don't
> heat them to soften further when you want to eat. Never bring home a
> stiff package of tortillas.

There not much of a Latino community here but I have found a store
loaded with Mexican and Central and South American products. It is the
only place I know where I can get (relatively) fresh flour or corn
tortillas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2018 4:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-20 3:32 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:43:44 -0500, jmcquown >

>>> Pulleze!Â* Store bought flour and corn tortillas are stiff before you
>>> heat them.Â* That's intentional.Â* The trick is to heat them in a pan over
>>> low heat (no oil!) until they become pliable.Â* At that point they are
>>> ready to work with.Â* They won't crack or break if you heat them gently
>>> first.
>>>

>> Â*Â* FreshÂ* tortillas, corn and flour are flexible in the store.Â* That's
>> how you tell they are fresh..Â* That doesn't mean that you still don't
>> heat them to soften further when you want to eat.Â* Never bring home a
>> stiff package of tortillas.

> There not much of a Latino community here but I have found a store
> loaded with Mexican and Central and South American products. It is the
> only place I know where I can get (relatively) fresh flour or corn
> tortillas.

I was basing my comments on purchased commercial tortillas.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 17:28:57 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/20/2018 4:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-12-20 3:32 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:43:44 -0500, jmcquown >

>>> ** Fresh* tortillas, corn and flour are flexible in the store.* That's
>>> how you tell they are fresh..* That doesn't mean that you still don't
>>> heat them to soften further when you want to eat.* Never bring home a
>>> stiff package of tortillas.

>> There not much of a Latino community here but I have found a store
>> loaded with Mexican and Central and South American products. It is the
>> only place I know where I can get (relatively) fresh flour or corn
>> tortillas.
>>

>I was basing my comments on purchased commercial tortillas.
>
>Jill

I was speaking of purchased commercial tortillas. Where you live it
is quite possible that the tortillas are weeks old and that is why you
get tortillas that are stiff in the bag. I lift the bag and see if
the tortillas feels soft and if they flex in the bag. If not I don't
buy.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
>
> In article >, Cheri
> > wrote:
>
> > I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
> > sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and
> > learn.

> I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
> very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the
> fridge if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the
> meal down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
> We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
> she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>
> leo
>
> ==
>
> You are lucky to have her)

I have to laugh! I boffed one today. Hubby and Charlotte ate it and
said it tasted fine but looked like pink puke. OOPS!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2018 6:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> I'm a tortilla snob. Some of the flour ones are just not very good. My
>> main issue with the corn ones is that if they're not super fresh, they
>> crack.

> Pulleze! Store bought flour and corn tortillas are stiff before you heat
> them. That's intentional. The trick is to heat them in a pan over low
> heat (no oil!) until they become pliable. At that point they are ready to
> work with. They won't crack or break if you heat them gently first.

What? I have *never* had a flour tortilla that was stiff and corn tortillas
usually aren't right out of the bag. Once they've been refrigerated, they
can dry out and get stiff. Depends on the brand. The last ones I bought
weren't stiff even after being put in the fridge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2018 4:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-12-20 3:32 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:43:44 -0500, jmcquown >

>>> Fresh tortillas, corn and flour are flexible in the store. That's
>>> how you tell they are fresh.. That doesn't mean that you still don't
>>> heat them to soften further when you want to eat. Never bring home a
>>> stiff package of tortillas.

>> There not much of a Latino community here but I have found a store loaded
>> with Mexican and Central and South American products. It is the only
>> place I know where I can get (relatively) fresh flour or corn tortillas.
>>

> I was basing my comments on purchased commercial tortillas.

Then you're buying stale ones. I never heat tortillas before using unless
I'm making enchiladas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
>
> In article >, Cheri
> > wrote:
>
> > I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
> > sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and
> > learn.

> I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
> very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the
> fridge if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the
> meal down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
> We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
> she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>
> leo
>
> ==
>
> You are lucky to have her)

I have to laugh! I boffed one today. Hubby and Charlotte ate it and
said it tasted fine but looked like pink puke. OOPS!

==

Perhaps you should have tasted one

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2018 6:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 6:41:32 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> In article >, Cheri >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
>>> sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and learn.
>>>

>> I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
>> very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
>> if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
>> down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
>> We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
>> she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>>
>> leo

> Yesterday was my husband's birthday. He asked for chicken piccata,
> rice, and green beans. My track record on piccata isn't perfect, but
> I managed quite a good one last night.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I like chicken piccata but much prefer veal piccata. Happy Birthday
to your husband!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2018 6:42 AM, wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 10:03:49 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> wrote in message ...

>>> Looks good.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006

>>> ==
>>>
>>> Not available in my country(

>> I'd say one needs to bake their own... doesn't look too difficult...
>> especially for one who claims to bake their own bread.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I'd say that one could indeed bake their own bread, but only if one has a
>> the specific recipe one is looking for!
>>

> I posted the recipe, scroll up a few lines.

You posted a recipe link and not a picture of what you actually baked?
Shame on you! LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2018 7:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message

>>> Looks good.
>>> https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...h-bread-272006
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Not available in my country(

>> I'd say one needs to bake their own... doesn't look too difficult...
>> especially for one who claims to bake their own bread.

> I think she meant that the recipe isn't available in her country.

Since when are recipes restricted by country? This is a global
newsgroup. Perhaps some of the ingredients aren't widely available but
the recipe certainly is.

Jill