Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tortilla Soup

I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No avocado in my
portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese rather than the Jack And
probably half the amount of beans. We don't need a huge pot of soup. Here's
her recipe:

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/

In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.

Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had it in
restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:25:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No avocado in my
>portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese rather than the Jack And
>probably half the amount of beans. We don't need a huge pot of soup. Here's
>her recipe:
>
>https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/
>
>In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.
>
>Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had it in
>restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

I started with her recipe years ago. In my experience the black beans
are essential to the soup, they are part of the character of the
soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:25:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No avocado in
>>my
>>portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese rather than the Jack And
>>probably half the amount of beans. We don't need a huge pot of soup.
>>Here's
>>her recipe:
>>
>>https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/
>>
>>In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.
>>
>>Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had it in
>>restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

> I started with her recipe years ago. In my experience the black beans
> are essential to the soup, they are part of the character of the
> soup.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 1:17:14 AM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:25:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No avocado in
> >>my
> >>portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese rather than the Jack And
> >>probably half the amount of beans. We don't need a huge pot of soup.
> >>Here's
> >>her recipe:
> >>
> >>https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/
> >>
> >>In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.
> >>
> >>Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had it in
> >>restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

> > I started with her recipe years ago. In my experience the black beans
> > are essential to the soup, they are part of the character of the
> > soup.

> Thanks!

I like my recipe better. It has more beans and stuff.

http://hizzoners.com/index.php/recip...-tortilla-soup

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 09:23:03 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 1:17:14 AM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:25:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> > I started with her recipe years ago. In my experience the black beans
>> > are essential to the soup, they are part of the character of the
>> > soup.

>> Thanks!

>I like my recipe better. It has more beans and stuff.
>
>http://hizzoners.com/index.php/recip...-tortilla-soup

I make a similar soup but mine uses soft/fresh corn tortillas, stacked
and cut into ~3/8" wide noodles with a pizza cutter, as long/short as
you like. I use pork and make a stock from shoulder chops. I don't
use cilantro, to me it tastes like soap... I prefer green onions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No avocado
> in my portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese rather than the
> Jack And probably half the amount of beans. We don't need a huge pot
> of soup. Here's her recipe:
>
> https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/
>
> In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.
>
> Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had
> it in restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

Julie, post what YOU made and ask us ok? That link is a mess and no one
ca tell what you altered it to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 16:25:12 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No avocado
>> in my portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese rather than the
>> Jack And probably half the amount of beans. We don't need a huge pot
>> of soup. Here's her recipe:
>>
>> https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/
>>
>> In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.
>>
>> Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had
>> it in restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

>Julie, post what YOU made and ask us ok? That link is a mess and no one
>ca tell what you altered it to.

Well, knowing Julie, she would have left out the avocado from her
portion, replaced the Jack with a Mexican cheese and used half the
amount of beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 4:29:05 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> Well, knowing Julie, she would have left out the avocado from her
> portion, replaced the Jack with a Mexican cheese and used half the
> amount of beans.

And then bitched it didn't taste like she thought it should.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 16:25:12 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No avocado
>> in my portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese rather than the
>> Jack And probably half the amount of beans. We don't need a huge pot
>> of soup. Here's her recipe:
>>
>> https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/
>>
>> In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.
>>
>> Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had
>> it in restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

>Julie, post what YOU made and ask us ok? That link is a mess and no one
>ca tell what you altered it to.

you didn't scroll down far enough
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 16:25:12 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No

> avocado >> in my portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese
> rather than the >> Jack And probably half the amount of beans. We
> don't need a huge pot >> of soup. Here's her recipe:
> >>
> >> https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/
> >>
> >> In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.
> >>
> >> Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had
> >> it in restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

> > Julie, post what YOU made and ask us ok? That link is a mess and no
> > one ca tell what you altered it to.

> you didn't scroll down far enough

There is nothing to scroll down to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 17:27:39 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> avocado >> in my portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese
>> rather than the >> Jack And probably half the amount of beans. We
>> don't need a huge pot >> of soup. Here's her recipe:

>> > Julie, post what YOU made and ask us ok? That link is a mess and no
>> > one ca tell what you altered it to.

>> you didn't scroll down far enough

>There is nothing to scroll down to.

there should be a recipe at the end
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2018 3:25 PM, cshenk wrote:

> That link is a mess and no one
> ca tell what you altered it to.

Actually, yer computer is a msss. Julie's link worked perfectly in my
W10 Bing browser (Edge?). Makes sense, as my new box is W10 and I like
it --a lot!-- cuz my Linux box has NO good graphics

Izzat the Pioneer Woman? Pretty funny, as she has about a jillion
dollars in graphics on that one recipe alone. I bailed after about 3
doz pics of sed recipe. Lordy, that woman do break it down.

The movie, Tortilla Soup, is hilarious. It's the SoCal version of Eat,
Drink, Man, Woman. Turn down Raquel Welch? I don't think so.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 17:25:28 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On 12/15/2018 3:25 PM, cshenk wrote:
>
>> That link is a mess and no one
>> ca tell what you altered it to.

>Actually, yer computer is a msss. Julie's link worked perfectly in my
>W10 Bing browser (Edge?). Makes sense, as my new box is W10 and I like
>it --a lot!-- cuz my Linux box has NO good graphics
>
>Izzat the Pioneer Woman? Pretty funny, as she has about a jillion
>dollars in graphics on that one recipe alone. I bailed after about 3
>doz pics of sed recipe. Lordy, that woman do break it down.
>
>The movie, Tortilla Soup, is hilarious. It's the SoCal version of Eat,
>Drink, Man, Woman. Turn down Raquel Welch? I don't think so.
>
>nb

Julie just grabbed the link to the video instead of getting the recipe
separately
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 1:17:14 AM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:25:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> > I started with her recipe years ago. In my experience the black beans
>> > are essential to the soup, they are part of the character of the
>> > soup.

>> Thanks!

> I like my recipe better. It has more beans and stuff.
>
> http://hizzoners.com/index.php/recip...-tortilla-soup

Looks good except for the garbanzo beans. Not sure they belong. The soup I
made is good but... I cooked it for less time and didn't add the water, only
because I didn't realize how long the cook time was. I did use both cans of
beans, used a whole green and a whole orange pepper and added more chili
powder.

While good, it's not the same as you get in restaurants here. I looked at
several online menus last night. None contain beans of any kind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 15-Dec-2018, U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:25:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No avocado in
>> >my
>> >portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese rather than the Jack And
>> >probably half the amount of beans. We don't need a huge pot of soup.
>> >Here's
>> >her recipe:
>> >
>> >https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/
>> >
>> >In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.
>> >
>> >Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had it
>> >in
>> >
>> >restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

>> I started with her recipe years ago. In my experience the black beans
>> are essential to the soup, they are part of the character of the
>> soup.

> I agree 100%. Prior to retirement, I traveled for business about half the
> days each month for years. I have eaten chicken tortilla soup in
> restaurants all over the country and it always included black beans. A
> few
> places skimped on the beans and, in general, those places did not serve a
> good bowl of soup.

Weird. I only had it once in a restaurant but there were no beans. And none
listed on any of the menus I looked at. If anything, I feel like I want more
beans in this but then I love beans!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No avocado
>> in my portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese rather than the
>> Jack And probably half the amount of beans. We don't need a huge pot
>> of soup. Here's her recipe:
>>
>> https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/
>>
>> In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.
>>
>> Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had
>> it in restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

> Julie, post what YOU made and ask us ok? That link is a mess and no one
> ca tell what you altered it to.

How is the link a mess? I used it to make the recipe. I did not add the
water. I cooked it for less time because I was pressed for time. I used two
peppers. One orange, one green. About twice the chili powder and a little
salt and pepper. Did not change it much at all. I do like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 16:25:12 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No avocado
>>> in my portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese rather than the
>>> Jack And probably half the amount of beans. We don't need a huge pot
>>> of soup. Here's her recipe:
>>>
>>> https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/
>>>
>>> In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.
>>>
>>> Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had
>>> it in restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

>>Julie, post what YOU made and ask us ok? That link is a mess and no one
>>ca tell what you altered it to.

> Well, knowing Julie, she would have left out the avocado from her
> portion, replaced the Jack with a Mexican cheese and used half the
> amount of beans.

Heh. I actually used all of the beans but the rest is correct.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 4:29:05 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Well, knowing Julie, she would have left out the avocado from her
>> portion, replaced the Jack with a Mexican cheese and used half the
>> amount of beans.
>>

> And then bitched it didn't taste like she thought it should.

Nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 17:25:28 -0700, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 12/15/2018 3:25 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> That link is a mess and no one
>>> ca tell what you altered it to.

>>Actually, yer computer is a msss. Julie's link worked perfectly in my
>>W10 Bing browser (Edge?). Makes sense, as my new box is W10 and I like
>>it --a lot!-- cuz my Linux box has NO good graphics
>>
>>Izzat the Pioneer Woman? Pretty funny, as she has about a jillion
>>dollars in graphics on that one recipe alone. I bailed after about 3
>>doz pics of sed recipe. Lordy, that woman do break it down.
>>
>>The movie, Tortilla Soup, is hilarious. It's the SoCal version of Eat,
>>Drink, Man, Woman. Turn down Raquel Welch? I don't think so.
>>
>>nb

> Julie just grabbed the link to the video instead of getting the recipe
> separately

I didn't even see a video. Sorry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2018 12:42 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> How is the link a mess?

It's not.

The recipe, itself, is off to the right side. A link that sez, "RECIPE"
opens a huge drop down menu (below):

***********

2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1-1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 cup Diced Onion
1/4 cup Diced Green Bell Pepper
1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 can (10 Oz. Can) Rotel Tomatoes And Green Chilies
32 ounces, fluid Low Sodium Chicken Stock
3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
4 cups Hot Water
2 cans (15 Oz. Can) Black Beans, Drained
3 Tablespoons Cornmeal Or Masa
5 whole Corn Tortillas, Cut Into Uniform Strips Around 2 To 3 Inches
_______
FOR THE GARNISHES:
Sour Cream
Diced Avocado
Diced Red Onion
Salsa Or Pico De Gallo
Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
Cilantro

************

The recipe is also repeated at the bottom, after a sh*tload of pictures.
Works great in my W10 box with Winblows and Edge browser.

I gotta stop defending you. It's making me crazy!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 23:42:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

snip
>Heh. I actually used all of the beans but the rest is correct.

I started with this recipe, but because I grow my own peppers I use
jalapenos and Hatch peppers to my taste instead.
When in a hurry I have made this with rotisserie chicken and boxed
stock if necessary.
Generally I make this when I cook a whole chicken in the pressure
cooker. Then I have hearty stock and plenty of chicken. I've always
used the two cans of beans, rinsed. Lots of bell pepper and shredded
chicken.
I don't use a recipe any longer. The only things measurable are the
one can of diced tomatoes and the two cans of black beans. I don't
use any masa or tomato paste. I don't care for thickening in my soup.
No toppings except I do make the corn tortilla strips. Brush the
tortillas lightly with oil, sprinkle coarse salt, cut and bake until
crispy.
The whole soup is a meal and very tasty.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 12/16/2018 12:42 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > How is the link a mess?

> It's not.
>
> The recipe, itself, is off to the right side. A link that sez,
> "RECIPE" opens a huge drop down menu (below):
>
> ***********
>
> 2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
> 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
> 1-1/2 teaspoon Cumin
> 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
> 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
> 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
> 1 cup Diced Onion
> 1/4 cup Diced Green Bell Pepper
> 1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper
> 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
> 1 can (10 Oz. Can) Rotel Tomatoes And Green Chilies
> 32 ounces, fluid Low Sodium Chicken Stock
> 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
> 4 cups Hot Water
> 2 cans (15 Oz. Can) Black Beans, Drained
> 3 Tablespoons Cornmeal Or Masa
> 5 whole Corn Tortillas, Cut Into Uniform Strips Around 2 To 3 Inches
> _______
> FOR THE GARNISHES:
> Sour Cream
> Diced Avocado
> Diced Red Onion
> Salsa Or Pico De Gallo
> Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
> Cilantro
>
> ************
>
> The recipe is also repeated at the bottom, after a sh*tload of
> pictures. Works great in my W10 box with Winblows and Edge browser.
>
> I gotta stop defending you. It's making me crazy!
>
> nb

Ok, got it. I missed the side link.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 23:42:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" > wrote in message

> avocado >>>> in my portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese
> rather than the >>>> Jack And probably half the amount of beans. We
> don't need a huge pot >>>> of soup. Here's her recipe:

> had >>>> it in restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans
> in it. snip
> > Heh. I actually used all of the beans but the rest is correct.

> I started with this recipe, but because I grow my own peppers I use
> jalapenos and Hatch peppers to my taste instead.
> When in a hurry I have made this with rotisserie chicken and boxed
> stock if necessary.
> Generally I make this when I cook a whole chicken in the pressure
> cooker. Then I have hearty stock and plenty of chicken. I've always
> used the two cans of beans, rinsed. Lots of bell pepper and shredded
> chicken.
> I don't use a recipe any longer. The only things measurable are the
> one can of diced tomatoes and the two cans of black beans. I don't
> use any masa or tomato paste. I don't care for thickening in my soup.
> No toppings except I do make the corn tortilla strips. Brush the
> tortillas lightly with oil, sprinkle coarse salt, cut and bake until
> crispy.
> The whole soup is a meal and very tasty.
> Janet US

There's a lot of things I cook with no recipe now, because I've done
them so often I simply adapt on the fly.

I think I do a fairly good job of adding in the amounts though to
represent them.

Here's a Swedish Sweet semi-flat rye we made yesterday. Nominally
called swedish as it is similar to a style I know as that. It's not
authentic at all to Sweden as far as I know. I think I sent the recipe
yesterday but the distinctive thing to it was it comes out like a
plyable thick rye based tortilla or 'hand bread' (meaning pickup food
with it).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message news:Gq2dnUAmDMmB4IvBnZ2dnUU7-

> There's a lot of things I cook with no recipe now, because I've done
> them so often I simply adapt on the fly.

Same here, cookies, pies etc.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 10:28:12 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>There's a lot of things I cook with no recipe now, because I've done
>them so often I simply adapt on the fly.
>
>I think I do a fairly good job of adding in the amounts though to
>represent them.
>
>Here's a Swedish Sweet semi-flat rye we made yesterday. Nominally
>called swedish as it is similar to a style I know as that. It's not
>authentic at all to Sweden as far as I know.

Interesting train of thought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"cshenk" > wrote in message news:Gq2dnUAmDMmB4IvBnZ2dnUU7-

> There's a lot of things I cook with no recipe now, because I've done
> them so often I simply adapt on the fly.

Same here, cookies, pies etc.

Cheri
==

I rarely stick to a given recipe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 12/16/2018 12:42 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> How is the link a mess?

> It's not.
>
> The recipe, itself, is off to the right side. A link that sez, "RECIPE"
> opens a huge drop down menu (below):
>
> ***********
>
> 2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
> 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
> 1-1/2 teaspoon Cumin
> 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
> 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
> 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
> 1 cup Diced Onion
> 1/4 cup Diced Green Bell Pepper
> 1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper
> 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
> 1 can (10 Oz. Can) Rotel Tomatoes And Green Chilies
> 32 ounces, fluid Low Sodium Chicken Stock
> 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
> 4 cups Hot Water
> 2 cans (15 Oz. Can) Black Beans, Drained
> 3 Tablespoons Cornmeal Or Masa
> 5 whole Corn Tortillas, Cut Into Uniform Strips Around 2 To 3 Inches
> _______
> FOR THE GARNISHES:
> Sour Cream
> Diced Avocado
> Diced Red Onion
> Salsa Or Pico De Gallo
> Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
> Cilantro
>
> ************
>
> The recipe is also repeated at the bottom, after a sh*tload of pictures.
> Works great in my W10 box with Winblows and Edge browser.
>
> I gotta stop defending you. It's making me crazy!
>
> nb

Thanks! (Hug)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "cshenk" > wrote in message news:Gq2dnUAmDMmB4IvBnZ2dnUU7-
>
>> There's a lot of things I cook with no recipe now, because I've done
>> them so often I simply adapt on the fly.

> Same here, cookies, pies etc.
>
> Cheri
> ==
>
> I rarely stick to a given recipe

I usually change a lot of them out too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "cshenk" > wrote in message news:Gq2dnUAmDMmB4IvBnZ2dnUU7-
>
>> There's a lot of things I cook with no recipe now, because I've done
>> them so often I simply adapt on the fly.

> Same here, cookies, pies etc.
>
> Cheri
> ==
>
> I rarely stick to a given recipe

I usually change a lot of them out too.

Cheri

==

It's great to experiment, eh? )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Cheri" wrote in message news > >"cshenk" > wrote in message

> > > There's a lot of things I cook with no recipe now, because I've
> > > done them so often I simply adapt on the fly.

> > Same here, cookies, pies etc.
> >
> > Cheri
> > ==
> >
> > I rarely stick to a given recipe

> I usually change a lot of them out too.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> It's great to experiment, eh? )

Thats what real cooks do. Some may try the recipe 'as written' the
first time but I tend to blend 3-4 recipes and select what we like
among them. Like when I came up with our home sausage blend? I used 4
recipes and saw what we liked the best then blended the mix from that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2018 5:25 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I am going to make this for dinner. Ree Drummond's recipe. No avocado
>> in my portion and I will likely use a Mexican cheese rather than the
>> Jack And probably half the amount of beans. We don't need a huge pot
>> of soup. Here's her recipe:
>>
>> https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...tortilla-soup/
>>
>> In looking at recipes, I see quite a bit of variation.
>>
>> Do you make this soup? If so, is your version like this? I have had
>> it in restaurants before but I don't recall it having beans in it.

> Julie, post what YOU made and ask us ok? That link is a mess and no one
> ca tell what you altered it to.

What are you talking about, Carol? I looked at the link and it gave
very clear instructions for making Ree Drummond's Tortilla Soup.

All Julie wanted to know was have any of us made it. (Not me.)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> >

>> > "Cheri" wrote in message news >> >"cshenk" > wrote in message

>> > Same here, cookies, pies etc.
>> >
>> > Cheri
>> > ==
>> >
>> > I rarely stick to a given recipe

>> I usually change a lot of them out too.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> It's great to experiment, eh? )

> Thats what real cooks do. Some may try the recipe 'as written' the
> first time but I tend to blend 3-4 recipes and select what we like
> among them. Like when I came up with our home sausage blend? I used 4
> recipes and saw what we liked the best then blended the mix from that.

I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and learn.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Cheri" wrote in message news > >"cshenk" > wrote in message

> > > There's a lot of things I cook with no recipe now, because I've
> > > done them so often I simply adapt on the fly.

> > Same here, cookies, pies etc.
> >
> > Cheri
> > ==
> >
> > I rarely stick to a given recipe

> I usually change a lot of them out too.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> It's great to experiment, eh? )

Thats what real cooks do. Some may try the recipe 'as written' the
first time but I tend to blend 3-4 recipes and select what we like
among them. Like when I came up with our home sausage blend? I used 4
recipes and saw what we liked the best then blended the mix from that.

==

In many cases here there are things D. dislikes so I leave them out and sub
something else. Not always though. I just get an idea about something and
try it out

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> >

>> > "Cheri" wrote in message news >> >"cshenk" > wrote in message

>> > Same here, cookies, pies etc.
>> >
>> > Cheri
>> > ==
>> >
>> > I rarely stick to a given recipe

>> I usually change a lot of them out too.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> It's great to experiment, eh? )

> Thats what real cooks do. Some may try the recipe 'as written' the
> first time but I tend to blend 3-4 recipes and select what we like
> among them. Like when I came up with our home sausage blend? I used 4
> recipes and saw what we liked the best then blended the mix from that.

I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and learn.

Cheri

==

Yep)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Cheri >
wrote:

> I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
> sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and learn.

I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >, Cheri >
> wrote:
>
>> I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
>> sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and
>> learn.
>>

> I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
> very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
> if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
> down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
> We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
> she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>
> leo

That sounds really good. We're having pork roast, mashed potatoes, gravy,
and acorn squash.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
> sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and learn.

I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.

leo

==

You are lucky to have her)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 6:41:32 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, Cheri >
> wrote:
>
> > I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
> > sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and learn.
> >

> I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
> very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
> if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
> down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
> We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
> she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>
> leo

Yesterday was my husband's birthday. He asked for chicken piccata,
rice, and green beans. My track record on piccata isn't perfect, but
I managed quite a good one last night.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
>> In article >, Cheri >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've made some really good recipe changes at times that suit us, but
>>> sometimes they are a fail with nobody to blame but myself, live and
>>> learn.
>>>

>> I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
>> very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
>> if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
>> down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
>> We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
>> she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>>
>> leo

> That sounds really good. We're having pork roast, mashed potatoes, gravy,
> and acorn squash.

I'm probably not cooking again tomorrow. Still have leftovers. Seems that my
gardener is now going for a healthy concoction of things that when combined
would likely make most people gag, so I'm not going to list it all off
except to say that it's a bunch of stuff on a corn tortilla, most of which
IMO does not belong on any kind of tortilla.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> news
>> "Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message

>>> I've made some nearly unpalatable dishes. I tell my wife that it isn't
>>> very good, but there's soup in the cupboard and cold cuts in the fridge
>>> if she wants to serve herself. She always manages to choke the meal
>>> down without disturbing the cupboard or fridge.
>>> We're having stew meat stroganoff tonight. I've made it enough to know
>>> she'll like it. I'm serving buttered Dutch crunch loaf slices with it.
>>>
>>> leo

>> That sounds really good. We're having pork roast, mashed potatoes, gravy,
>> and acorn squash.

> I'm probably not cooking again tomorrow. Still have leftovers. Seems that
> my gardener is now going for a healthy concoction of things that when
> combined would likely make most people gag, so I'm not going to list it
> all off except to say that it's a bunch of stuff on a corn tortilla, most
> of which IMO does not belong on any kind of tortilla.

I do like corn tortillas, but not flour tortillas so much.

Cheri