TPhil

Default tortilla soup?

So let's see who has a kick butt recipe for this one, Please.!

Troy

JD

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:47:02 GMT, "TPhil"
> wrote:

>So let's see who has a kick butt recipe for this one, Please.!

This recipe wouldn't be considered authentic, and is really an amalgam
of several Mexican style soups, but I like it -- and it's really easy
to whip up:

Chicken stock (your favorite homemade or packaged/canned)
Crispy tortilla chips/strips (unsalted and freshly fried -- doritos or
the like would not do)
Garlic (diced)
Green onion
Avocado
Tomato (optional)
Serrano chiles (to taste)
Queso fresca or jack (I've used Fontina in a pinch, it melts well and
has a nice nutty flavor)
Cilantro
Lime
salt and pepper to taste

Prep:

Heat up the broth with the diced garlic. You can add some chile slices
and cilantro to spice up the broth if you like. If you decide to use
tomato, add that to the broth too. I've also added cumin to the broth
but prefer it without.

Cut up the onion, avocado, and chiles. Layer tortillas in bowl,
sprinkle with onion, avocado pieces, chiles, and grated cheese. Pour
broth over all, garnish with cilantro and lime and serve.

Wayne Lundberg

"JD" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:47:02 GMT, "TPhil"
> > wrote:
>
> >So let's see who has a kick butt recipe for this one, Please.!

> This recipe wouldn't be considered authentic, and is really an amalgam
> of several Mexican style soups, but I like it -- and it's really easy
> to whip up:

..---snip---

Make sure you have the ingredients for this wonderful mixture during the
winter months. It is ideal for the first salvo against a cold. If you were
brought up on chicken soup to ward off colds, consider tortilla soup as a
quantum leap more powerful and certainly more enjoyable.

Two bowls of tortilla soup should do the trick. One at noon, one at night.
In between, a couple of cups of te de manzanilla.

I keep a good stock of either Albertson's tomato/chile or Ro-Tel for the
tomato part of the recipe. And always have a package of corn tortillas in
the freezer to convert into the thinly sliced bits to be fried before
dumping into the soup or vice versa. A whole chicken will yield the best
consommé, but Maggi does the trick when a real chicken is not to be found
running about the yard.

Wayne

Thurman

JD wrote:

> This recipe wouldn't be considered authentic, and is really an amalgam
> of several Mexican style soups, but I like it -- and it's really easy
> to whip up:

I discovered a new trick last week from The Herb Garden
Cookbook.

According to the author Lucinda Hutson, in Spain and Mexico
they heat the soup bowls in the oven. Just before serving
the soup, gently lay a fresh egg in the bottom of the bowl,
then pour the hot soup over it.

The soup poaches the egg. It worked well for breakfast.

JD

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 09:11:58 -0600, Thurman >
wrote:

>JD wrote:
>

>> This recipe wouldn't be considered authentic, and is really an amalgam
>> of several Mexican style soups, but I like it -- and it's really easy
>> to whip up:

>I discovered a new trick last week from The Herb Garden
>Cookbook.
>
>According to the author Lucinda Hutson, in Spain and Mexico
>they heat the soup bowls in the oven. Just before serving
>the soup, gently lay a fresh egg in the bottom of the bowl,
>then pour the hot soup over it.
>
>The soup poaches the egg. It worked well for breakfast.

Sure, I think the recipe I gave is just the base to build on. You
could also add shredded chicken if you wanted something even heartier
or tofu if you like. I could imagine adding cubes of zucchini or
parboiled potato, even charred/skinned chiles like poblano or hatch.

It's a whatever you have in the fridge soup.