Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking a Plain Beef Brisket

> I have never actually cooked a totally plain brisket (not corned beef
> brisket). What I've cooked in the past has always had some sort of
> sauce or gravy.
>
> The result I want is simply cooked for slicing and making hot brisket
> sandwiches.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions from those of you who do cook
> brisket in a very simple way.

Is it a whole packer or flat cut? I only do pit brisket but have started
on the pit and moved to the oven to finish up due to weather. Happy to
share some ideas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:40:35 -0600, jay > wrote:

>On 9/21/18 3:31 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I have never actually cooked a totally plain brisket (not corned beef
>> brisket). What I've cooked in the past has always had some sort of
>> sauce or gravy.
>>
>> The result I want is simply cooked for slicing and making hot brisket
>> sandwiches.
>>
>> I would appreciate any suggestions from those of you who do cook
>> brisket in a very simple way.

>Is it a whole packer or flat cut? I only do pit brisket but have started
>on the pit and moved to the oven to finish up due to weather. Happy to
>share some ideas.

I cook this style of brisket often, and it's easy to tweak the recipe
to one's taste... I like it braised in gingerale, or with a can of
cranberry sauce. I really don't care for texass style brisket (bbq).
..
https://www.thespruceeats.com/kosher...ecipes-2121905
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri 21 Sep 2018 05:40:35p, jay told us...

> The brisket is a flat cut. I don't have a smoker, but I was more
> interested in moist cooking. The result I want is sliceable for use
> in sandwiches, as served in many Jewish delis. I'd be happy to have
> any ideas youmight have. Thanks!

I never buy flat cuts other than corned beef and have zero experience
with Jewish deli styles. My experience is full packers on the pit. I
did see this adapted recipe and it may be a place to start and make your
own adjustments.

https://www.koshereye.com/meat/479-2...e-deli-brisket

I checked out the 2nd Ave web site and their food looks amazing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/18 10:58 AM, wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:40:35 -0600, jay > wrote:
>

> I cook this style of brisket often, and it's easy to tweak the recipe
> to one's taste... I like it braised in gingerale, or with a can of
> cranberry sauce. I really don't care for texass style brisket (bbq).
> .

https://www.thespruceeats.com/kosher...ecipes-2121905

You know you are not going to get any authentic TEXASS BBQ brisket in
NYC. Get a rope.

Actually even in Texas the brisket is hit and miss from place to place.
There are some BBQ joints that really do it right. Most don't. It has to
come right off the pit. BBQ brisket drys out quickly if held very long.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 18:25:00 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 22 Sep 2018 11:09:41a, jay told us...
>
>> On 9/21/18 9:25 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Fri 21 Sep 2018 05:40:35p, jay told us...

>>> The brisket is a flat cut. I don't have a smoker, but I was more
>>> interested in moist cooking. The result I want is sliceable for
>>> use in sandwiches, as served in many Jewish delis. I'd be happy
>>> to have any ideas youmight have. Thanks!
>>>

>> I never buy flat cuts other than corned beef and have zero
>> experience with Jewish deli styles. My experience is full packers
>> on the pit. I did see this adapted recipe and it may be a place
>> to start and make your own adjustments.
>>
>> https://www.koshereye.com/meat/479-2...e-deli-brisket
>>
>> I checked out the 2nd Ave web site and their food looks amazing.
>>

>Thank you! That's an excellent reference, and I'm going to give that
>a try, possibly with a minor change or two.
>
>2nd Avenue Deli does have amazing food. I've eaten there many times
>when in NYC. Both their beef brisket and corned beef brisket are
>some of the best I've ever had.
>
>As to pit BBQ, I have no facilities to produce that, but I do love
>it. We have a couple of local BBQ joints here in Phoenix that have
>excellent Q no matter what you pick from the menu.

I copied that recipe as well, Wayne. My friend, a Jewish woman, made
to most amazing brisket. She gave me the directions but I have never
truly mastered it (I think it is all in the wrist) ;-) Anyway, her
method is very similar to the above. She did, however, used a cast
iron dutch oven and did hers on the stove top.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 17:43:40 -0500, heyjoe >
wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 20:37:06 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I have a large Le Creuset
>> dutch oven that I will use for this. I may start it on the stovetop
>> but finish in the oven.

>If I was gonna do a brisket, I'd use that induction cooktop and set the
>temp around 185 or so (low end of the simmer range) and weight down the
>lid to get a very tight seal.
>
>When I do corned beef (point or flat), I double wrap it in heavy duty
>aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 225. I wish I had an induction
>hob.

that's how one of the methods for smoked brisket goes. Smoke for an
hour or so then bring inside, double wrap tightly around the meat
itself and bake at 225 for a number of hours. After the time is up
you poke a hole in the foil and hold it over a bowl to drain all the
juice out. I think I saw that in Cooks magazine 20-25 years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 7:14 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 17:43:40 -0500, heyjoe >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 20:37:06 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> I have a large Le Creuset
>>> dutch oven that I will use for this. I may start it on the stovetop
>>> but finish in the oven.

>> If I was gonna do a brisket, I'd use that induction cooktop and set the
>> temp around 185 or so (low end of the simmer range) and weight down the
>> lid to get a very tight seal.
>>
>> When I do corned beef (point or flat), I double wrap it in heavy duty
>> aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 225. I wish I had an induction
>> hob.

> that's how one of the methods for smoked brisket goes. Smoke for an
> hour or so then bring inside, double wrap tightly around the meat
> itself and bake at 225 for a number of hours. After the time is up
> you poke a hole in the foil and hold it over a bowl to drain all the
> juice out. I think I saw that in Cooks magazine 20-25 years ago.

My one successful brisket was done similarly . I smoked it for 3 hours
at around 185° then double wrapped in foil and put it back on for
another 3 or 4 hours . AIUI the wrap is to keep the moisture in while
the low-n-slow makes it tender .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat 22 Sep 2018 11:20:38a, jay told us...

>> You know you are not going to get any authentic TEXASS BBQ brisket
>> in NYC. Get a rope.

> I don't expect to get it in NYC, However, I can get it here in
> Phoenix.

That post was intended for a different poster. I may have screwed up or
you may have that poster blocked? Sorry.

Cooking a Plain Beef Brisket Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 0 22-09-2018 12:18 AM
Beef brisket Bill Barbecue 34 16-01-2007 05:44 PM
Beef Stroganoff (Uses Plain Yogurt) Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2006 08:51 AM
porcelain coated vs. plain cast iron cooking grid [email protected] Barbecue 13 12-03-2005 04:13 PM
porcelain coated vs. plain cast iron cooking grid [email protected] Cooking Equipment 12 03-03-2005 06:25 AM