Default porcelain coated vs. plain cast iron cooking grid

Hi,

I would like to ask you, which one leave better mark in the meat in you
are using porcelain coated cast iron cooking grid or just plain cast
iron cooking grid.

Thanks.

Cast iron generally wins, as it's usually more massive and thus retains
heat far better than the smaller-diameter porcelain grills.

Cast, however, tends to get gunked up more quickly and doesn't really
want to be as clean and nice as the porcelain; if you don't keep after
it, it rusts and really turns into a mess. All that notwithstanding, I
far prefer cooking on it over the porcelain... we've had probably five
or 6 porcelain grills on our old unit, and finally went for the cast
iron last summer... have never looked back.

Good luck!

eno

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Cast iron generally wins, as it's usually more massive and thus retains
> heat far better than the smaller-diameter porcelain grills.
>
> Cast, however, tends to get gunked up more quickly and doesn't really
> want to be as clean and nice as the porcelain; if you don't keep after
> it, it rusts and really turns into a mess. All that notwithstanding, I
> far prefer cooking on it over the porcelain... we've had probably five
> or 6 porcelain grills on our old unit, and finally went for the cast
> iron last summer... have never looked back.
>
> Good luck!
>
> eno

Get the best of both. My VC series Vermont Castings grill has porcelain over
heavy cast iron. Good mass, no rust.

Steve Calvin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>Cast iron generally wins, as it's usually more massive and thus retains
>>heat far better than the smaller-diameter porcelain grills.
>>
>>Cast, however, tends to get gunked up more quickly and doesn't really
>>want to be as clean and nice as the porcelain; if you don't keep after
>>it, it rusts and really turns into a mess. All that notwithstanding, I
>>far prefer cooking on it over the porcelain... we've had probably five
>>or 6 porcelain grills on our old unit, and finally went for the cast
>>iron last summer... have never looked back.
>>
>>Good luck!
>>
>>eno
>>

> Get the best of both. My VC series Vermont Castings grill has porcelain over
> heavy cast iron. Good mass, no rust.

That's what mine has as well. I would prefer to use cast but no matter
what I do the dang thang rusted so into the garbage they went.

I use CI in the kitchen quite a bit but for me anyhow, it's not for
outside.

--
Steve
Matthew L. Martin

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>
>>> Cast iron generally wins, as it's usually more massive and thus retains
>>> heat far better than the smaller-diameter porcelain grills.
>>>
>>> Cast, however, tends to get gunked up more quickly and doesn't really
>>> want to be as clean and nice as the porcelain; if you don't keep after
>>> it, it rusts and really turns into a mess. All that notwithstanding, I
>>> far prefer cooking on it over the porcelain... we've had probably five
>>> or 6 porcelain grills on our old unit, and finally went for the cast
>>> iron last summer... have never looked back.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> eno
>>>

>> Get the best of both. My VC series Vermont Castings grill has
>> porcelain over heavy cast iron. Good mass, no rust.
>>

> That's what mine has as well. I would prefer to use cast but no matter
> what I do the dang thang rusted so into the garbage they went.
>
> I use CI in the kitchen quite a bit but for me anyhow, it's not for
> outside.

I have given up on CI outside. I have stainless grills for the Kamados
and porcelain for the gasser. The CI kept spalling rust onto my food.
It's not very nice as a seasoning.

Matthew

Matthew L. Martin

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>
>>> Cast iron generally wins, as it's usually more massive and thus retains
>>> heat far better than the smaller-diameter porcelain grills.
>>>
>>> Cast, however, tends to get gunked up more quickly and doesn't really
>>> want to be as clean and nice as the porcelain; if you don't keep after
>>> it, it rusts and really turns into a mess. All that notwithstanding, I
>>> far prefer cooking on it over the porcelain... we've had probably five
>>> or 6 porcelain grills on our old unit, and finally went for the cast
>>> iron last summer... have never looked back.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> eno
>>>

>> Get the best of both. My VC series Vermont Castings grill has
>> porcelain over heavy cast iron. Good mass, no rust.
>>

> That's what mine has as well. I would prefer to use cast but no matter
> what I do the dang thang rusted so into the garbage they went.
>
> I use CI in the kitchen quite a bit but for me anyhow, it's not for
> outside.

I have given up on CI outside. I have stainless grills for the Kamados
and porcelain for the gasser. The CI kept spalling rust onto my food.
It's not very nice as a seasoning.

Matthew
CSS

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask you, which one leave better mark in the meat in you
> are using porcelain coated cast iron cooking grid or just plain cast
> iron cooking grid.
>
> Thanks.

If you are referring to a Weber, the porcelain-coated cast iron grates are
outstanding, and perform as well as bare cast iron w/o any of the
maintenance or rust issues. I have owned both, and see no difference
between the two as far as the marks left on the meat.

Jack Sloan

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >
> >>Cast iron generally wins, as it's usually more massive and thus retains
> >>heat far better than the smaller-diameter porcelain grills.
> >>
> >>Cast, however, tends to get gunked up more quickly and doesn't really
> >>want to be as clean and nice as the porcelain; if you don't keep after
> >>it, it rusts and really turns into a mess. All that notwithstanding, I
> >>far prefer cooking on it over the porcelain... we've had probably five
> >>or 6 porcelain grills on our old unit, and finally went for the cast
> >>iron last summer... have never looked back.
> >>
> >>Good luck!
> >>
> >>eno
> >>

> > Get the best of both. My VC series Vermont Castings grill has porcelain

over
> > heavy cast iron. Good mass, no rust.
> >

> That's what mine has as well. I would prefer to use cast but no matter
> what I do the dang thang rusted so into the garbage they went.
>
> I use CI in the kitchen quite a bit but for me anyhow, it's not for
> outside.

After only 3 years my awesome sunshine grill finally rusted up the ci
burners where I can't drill em out and make 'em work right anymore the ci
flametamers came apart in layers and the heavy ci grill broke (the griddle
is ok , though.) I went out and got an all stainless everything grill.I
know the burners will eventually burn out , but they're tube ss burners how
much could they cost?
Jack

Jack Sloan

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >
> >>Cast iron generally wins, as it's usually more massive and thus retains
> >>heat far better than the smaller-diameter porcelain grills.
> >>
> >>Cast, however, tends to get gunked up more quickly and doesn't really
> >>want to be as clean and nice as the porcelain; if you don't keep after
> >>it, it rusts and really turns into a mess. All that notwithstanding, I
> >>far prefer cooking on it over the porcelain... we've had probably five
> >>or 6 porcelain grills on our old unit, and finally went for the cast
> >>iron last summer... have never looked back.
> >>
> >>Good luck!
> >>
> >>eno
> >>

> > Get the best of both. My VC series Vermont Castings grill has porcelain

over
> > heavy cast iron. Good mass, no rust.
> >

> That's what mine has as well. I would prefer to use cast but no matter
> what I do the dang thang rusted so into the garbage they went.
>
> I use CI in the kitchen quite a bit but for me anyhow, it's not for
> outside.

After only 3 years my awesome sunshine grill finally rusted up the ci
burners where I can't drill em out and make 'em work right anymore the ci
flametamers came apart in layers and the heavy ci grill broke (the griddle
is ok , though.) I went out and got an all stainless everything grill.I
know the burners will eventually burn out , but they're tube ss burners how
much could they cost?
Jack

Steve Calvin

Jack Sloan wrote:

>>That's what mine has as well. I would prefer to use cast but no matter
>>what I do the dang thang rusted so into the garbage they went.
>>
>>I use CI in the kitchen quite a bit but for me anyhow, it's not for
>>outside.

> After only 3 years my awesome sunshine grill finally rusted up the ci
> burners where I can't drill em out and make 'em work right anymore the ci
> flametamers came apart in layers and the heavy ci grill broke (the griddle
> is ok , though.) I went out and got an all stainless everything grill.I
> know the burners will eventually burn out , but they're tube ss burners how
> much could they cost?
> Jack

Boy Jack, I can't help ya with that. I haven't run into that problem
with the Weber Silver B (yet), but it doesn't have CI burners, it only
had the CI grates until I tossed 'em into the garbage and got the
porclean coated ones.

--
Steve

Steve Calvin

Jack Sloan wrote:

>>That's what mine has as well. I would prefer to use cast but no matter
>>what I do the dang thang rusted so into the garbage they went.
>>
>>I use CI in the kitchen quite a bit but for me anyhow, it's not for
>>outside.

> After only 3 years my awesome sunshine grill finally rusted up the ci
> burners where I can't drill em out and make 'em work right anymore the ci
> flametamers came apart in layers and the heavy ci grill broke (the griddle
> is ok , though.) I went out and got an all stainless everything grill.I
> know the burners will eventually burn out , but they're tube ss burners how
> much could they cost?
> Jack

Boy Jack, I can't help ya with that. I haven't run into that problem
with the Weber Silver B (yet), but it doesn't have CI burners, it only
had the CI grates until I tossed 'em into the garbage and got the
porclean coated ones.

--
Steve
Pierre

CSS wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to ask you, which one leave better mark in the meat in

you
> > are using porcelain coated cast iron cooking grid or just plain

cast
> > iron cooking grid.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> If you are referring to a Weber, the porcelain-coated cast iron

grates are
> outstanding, and perform as well as bare cast iron w/o any of the
> maintenance or rust issues. I have owned both, and see no difference
> between the two as far as the marks left on the meat.

I agree. If you're primarily interested in grill marks I don't see
that it makes much difference between the two as long as the grates are
reasonably clean, well seasoned, and in good shape.

Pierre

CSS

"Pierre" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> CSS wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ps.com...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I would like to ask you, which one leave better mark in the meat in

> you
> > > are using porcelain coated cast iron cooking grid or just plain

> cast
> > > iron cooking grid.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > If you are referring to a Weber, the porcelain-coated cast iron

> grates are
> > outstanding, and perform as well as bare cast iron w/o any of the
> > maintenance or rust issues. I have owned both, and see no difference
> > between the two as far as the marks left on the meat.

> I agree. If you're primarily interested in grill marks I don't see
> that it makes much difference between the two as long as the grates are
> reasonably clean, well seasoned, and in good shape.
>
> Pierre

No seasoning required for the porcelain-coated cast iron, though. Just a
quick hit with a brass brush before and after each use.