Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Beef brisket

I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main meat
course. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bill" > wrote in message
>I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main meat
> course. Any ideas would be welcomed.

We always have beer with brisket! Homebrew of course but it seems we have
beer with most everything<BFG>

Beans(pinto) would be good, slaw and maybe a peach cobbler too
Wonder bread and some dipping sauce too
Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Buzz1" > wrote in message

> "Bill" > wrote in message
> >I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main

meat
> > course. Any ideas would be welcomed.
> >

> We always have beer with brisket! Homebrew of course but it seems we have
> beer with most everything<BFG>
>
> Beans(pinto) would be good, slaw and maybe a peach cobbler too
> Wonder bread and some dipping sauce too
> Buzz

I hadn't even thought of the beer as part of the question. It's a given,
isn't it?

Beans and slaw are sort of our regulars. They're good, and I'll probably use
them along with bacon, cheese and jalapeno corn bread but I thought I should
check for other ideas.

Bill

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bill" > wrote in message
> "Buzz1" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill" > wrote in message
>>> I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the
>>> main meat course. Any ideas would be welcomed.
>>>

>> We always have beer with brisket! Homebrew of course but it seems
>> we have beer with most everything<BFG>
>>
>> Beans(pinto) would be good, slaw and maybe a peach cobbler too
>> Wonder bread and some dipping sauce too
>> Buzz
>>

> I hadn't even thought of the beer as part of the question. It's a
> given, isn't it?
>
> Beans and slaw are sort of our regulars. They're good, and I'll
> probably use them along with bacon, cheese and jalapeno corn bread
> but I thought I should check for other ideas.
>
> Bill

ABT's.
Collard greens. Always good with BBQ.
'Nanner puddin'. Buzz's cobbler is the fruit dish, the 'nanner puddin' is
the dessert.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Jan-2007, "Buzz1" > wrote:

> "Bill" > wrote in message
> >I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket
> >as the main meat
> > course. Any ideas would be welcomed.
> >

> We always have beer with brisket! Homebrew of course but
> it seems we have
> beer with most everything<BFG>
>
> Beans(pinto) would be good, slaw and maybe a peach cobbler
> too
> Wonder bread and some dipping sauce too
> Buzz

It doesn't hurt to have some chicken and or spares with
brisket.
The common potato and macaroni salads go well. Peach cobbler
of course and that banana pudding sounds good. Some decent
BBQ beans (beans with some chili powder in them) always go
well. Some decent bread is mandatory. Not sure I'd go with
the
wonder bread, but a loaf or two wouldn't hurt. I think I'd
offer some
Cuban, French or Italian bread. If there's going to be
children,
the ubiquitious hot dogs and hamburgers are always welcome.
Don't forget some decent dippin' sauce for the brisket. Some
folk want it even if the meat don't need it. A bunch of my
sauce
got used up NY Eve, but it might have been because they all
liked the sauce so well, some used the meat as an excuse to
eat it.

This weekend, I'm offering chicken brined with Hound's brine
and
a butt rubbed with Bayou Blast. The salads and breads will
be
brought by others. I'll have to make a new batch of
'Struttin Sauce'.
They used the better part of a quart NY Eve.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Buzz1" > wrote in message

> "Bill" > wrote in message
>>I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main meat
>> course. Any ideas would be welcomed.
>>

> We always have beer with brisket! Homebrew of course but it seems we have
> beer with most everything<BFG>
>
> Beans(pinto) would be good, slaw and maybe a peach cobbler too
> Wonder bread and some dipping sauce too
> Buzz

WONDERBREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What would Johnnie Carson say??

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 4, 4:16 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main meat
> course. Any ideas would be welcomed.

I always like a marinated salad (eg vinegar based cole slaw, cucumber
salad, etc.) to go with BBQ. A potato salad would be good too, unless
you want to make some nice oven fries (slice up potatoes into large,
thick fries, brush with olive oil, s, p, and spices, bake on a greased
pan in the hottest possible oven for 15-20 minutes, turn and bake
another 10 minutes - almost as good as real fries with much less fat.

You could start with some smoked fish as an appetizer. Or chips and
salsa.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Buzz1" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill" > wrote in message
>>>I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main
>>>meat
>>> course. Any ideas would be welcomed.
>>>

>> We always have beer with brisket! Homebrew of course but it seems we
>> have beer with most everything<BFG>
>>
>> Beans(pinto) would be good, slaw and maybe a peach cobbler too
>> Wonder bread and some dipping sauce too
>> Buzz
>>

> WONDERBREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> What would Johnnie Carson say??

Don't know hat JOhnny would say but Wonder"type" bread is darn good when
loaded with some brisket, maybe a bit of liquid parkay and a spicy dipping
sauce

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bill" > wrote in message
>I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main meat
> course. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Lots of great ideas here, and mine is somewhat standard as well, the
beans... Only thing I'd add is, if you don't do this now, cook your beans
in the smoker, under the brisket if at all possible. I have an upright gas
smoker. I put the brisket on the top shelf, and then a coupla hours before
I figure the briskets gonna be done, I put the pan of baked beans in under
the brisket. Canned baked beans that have been augmented with onion,
garlic, a little ketchup, mustard and bbq sauce, some Worchestershire sauce
and a touch of brown sugar. Then let the juices from the brisket fall into
them.

I do the same thing with a pork shoulder. Sometimes I get more compliments
on the beans than the meat! Which isn't always a good thing I guess? *g*
Anyway, usually no complaints about the meat either, and the beans are, well
IMO, out of this world.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bill" > wrote in message
> I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as

the main meat
> course. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Don't think I've seen it mentioned, but I don't think you can go
wrong with some good homemade (not the boxed stuff) macaroni &
cheese.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 19:34:17 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Buzz1" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill" > wrote in message
>>>I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main meat
>>> course. Any ideas would be welcomed.
>>>

>> We always have beer with brisket! Homebrew of course but it seems we have
>> beer with most everything<BFG>
>>
>> Beans(pinto) would be good, slaw and maybe a peach cobbler too
>> Wonder bread and some dipping sauce too
>> Buzz
>>

>WONDERBREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>What would Johnnie Carson say??

More!! Actually, white bread/buns soak up more of the good
juices/sauces than do the foo-foo breads. OTOH, if it isn't for
putting on a dose of BBQ, I'm mighty partial to rye/pumpernickel.

Steve in San Diego
2002 FLTRI SENS BS135 DOF#1951
2000 XLH1200 History
rmh is IRL©
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message

>>> Unfortunately, the weather here won't be conducive to outdoor cookery

for a couple more months. (at least, not for me, it won't!)<<<

Thank heavens, was beginning to think I was the only wimp reading the mail
here. I'll clean up my grill and smoker about mid April.
Meanwhile I'll be dinning at Legends BBQ (their ribs don't need sauce) in
Tulsa or Owasso, Oklahoma. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Buzz1" > wrote in message

> "Bill" > wrote in message
> >I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main

meat
> > course. Any ideas would be welcomed.
> >

> We always have beer with brisket! Homebrew of course but it seems we have
> beer with most everything<BFG>
>
> Beans(pinto) would be good, slaw and maybe a peach cobbler too
> Wonder bread and some dipping sauce too
> Buzz

Skip the Wonder bread (wonder what's in it) and go for a good sourdough.

Other than that, the Buzz is right on.

--
TFM®
Zephyrhills (83 degrees and 68% humidity) Florida

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Buzz1" > wrote

> Don't know hat JOhnny would say but Wonder"type" bread is darn good when
> loaded with some brisket, maybe a bit of liquid parkay and a spicy dipping
> sauce

Egads! Bread that bugs won't eat and plastic butter substitute from a
Wisconsin resident?!?!?

Better be really spicy dipping sauce to cover up that taste.

C'mon old friend, real butter is even cheap here in Florida and *much*
better for you.

--
TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"TFM®" > wrote in message

> "Buzz1" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill" > wrote in message
>> >I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main

> meat
>> > course. Any ideas would be welcomed.
>> >

>> We always have beer with brisket! Homebrew of course but it seems we
>> have
>> beer with most everything<BFG>
>>
>> Beans(pinto) would be good, slaw and maybe a peach cobbler too
>> Wonder bread and some dipping sauce too
>> Buzz

> Skip the Wonder bread (wonder what's in it) and go for a good sourdough.
>
> Other than that, the Buzz is right on.

got to have bread that will be come one with the meat and good ole' plain
white bread is the consumate answer other than the TFM really know\s what
he is talking about
Buzz

> --
> TFM®
> Zephyrhills (83 degrees and 68% humidity) Florida

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Reyer" > wrote in message
> 70 degeez here in Sandy Eggo. Got two racks of ribs in the pit, even
> as we speak.

Big deal, it was 70 degrees here in CT and MA yesterday. The only
difference is it will be 70 degrees in SD for the next 300 days and it will
be 32 here at the end of the week.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 20:49:07 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Steve Reyer" > wrote in message
>> 70 degeez here in Sandy Eggo. Got two racks of ribs in the pit, even
>> as we speak.

>Big deal, it was 70 degrees here in CT and MA yesterday. The only
>difference is it will be 70 degrees in SD for the next 300 days and it will
>be 32 here at the end of the week.

Bwahahaha!! Hope you're enjoying the global warming!! And hope y'all
are having some good time at the pits.

Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
news

>> Are those loud places?<<

Naw , everybody's too bizzy eating to make much noise. You might even bump
into Garth at the one in Owasso. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 14:28:59 -0600, "Rob Mills" >
> wrote:

>> for a couple more months. (at least, not for me, it won't!)<<<
>>
>> Thank heavens, was beginning to think I was the only wimp reading the mail
>> here. I'll clean up my grill and smoker about mid April.
>>

> My smoker's ready to go, and I'm sure I'll be using it before April.
>

>> Meanwhile I'll be dinning at Legends BBQ (their ribs don't need sauce) in
>> Tulsa or Owasso, Oklahoma. RM~
>>

> Are those loud places?
>
> Sadly, I'm unaware of any good ribs close to me. Though I heard about
> a place in Lake Stevens I need to check out.
> (I'm in Everett, just north of Seattle, in the Pacific NorthWet)
>
> -denny-

Denny, there are no ribs in Lake Stevens but if you keep going east on
SR 92 there's Bodaceous BBQ. Definitely one of the better Q joints
you'll find in Snohomish or Skagit County. They're closed Monday and
Tuesday, don't open til 4 on Wed, Thurs, open at noon Fri, Sat Sun Close
at 8 every day but Sunday which is 6.

JD
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bill wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main meat

course. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Start off with some turds as appetizers (turds - jalapeno peppers that are
topped & cleaned out, then filled with cheese, capped with a strip of bacon
and grilled).

Serve ya brisket with the sauce on the side; not over it. Add brown beans
cooked with jalapenos, cole slaw, tater salad, white onion slices, pickle
slices, lots of white bread & plenty of beverages. Then crown the whole
thing with banana puddin.

Now that's a Texas brisket dinner worth servin any place.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:07:46 GMT, JD > wrote:
>

>> Denny, there are no ribs in Lake Stevens but if you keep going east on
>> SR 92 there's Bodaceous BBQ. Definitely one of the better Q joints
>> you'll find in Snohomish or Skagit County. They're closed Monday and
>> Tuesday, don't open til 4 on Wed, Thurs, open at noon Fri, Sat Sun Close
>> at 8 every day but Sunday which is 6.
>>

> Thanks, JD. I'm sure it was you who mentioned Bodaceous a few months
> ago. I may have to go over that way soonish. Conceivably this
> weekend, unless I'm at the GF's in Burien.
> (btw, it's spelled 'Bodacious'--hmmm. Granite Falls, eh...)
>
> Ya know of any good Q in the Renton/Tukwila/Burien/SeaTac/White Center
> general area? Besides the Cave Man, I mean. (got to get over there
> soonish)
>
> There's a "Bill's Bodacious BBQ" in Renton, but I know nothing about
> it.
> -denny-

There was a place in Issaqua whose name I can't remember that was
supposed to be decent but I think it closed. I've found a few
hole-in-the-wall places in the Rainier Beach part of Seattle that were
OK. The Ranch House in Olympia is good and if Dave ever gets his act
together again in Wenatchee, it'll be worth the trip. Country Girl BBQ
in Arlington is pretty lame. Double Barrel in Burlington used to be
consistently good but now only passes muster when owner Jim Lee is
around enough to keep the help in line. Cave Man?? They're OK but not
worth a trip from Lake Stevens for. They were a lifesaver years ago when
they were the only game in town, otherwise I'd have racked up a lot more
frequent flier miles to NC after I moved out here.

JD
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> I've never yet run across smoked salmon that wasn't tasty.

While this is my experience too, I hot smoked a 2lb portion of wild rainbow
sea-trout recently. I don't know if it was the smoking technique or the
quality of the fresh fish, but it was superior to any salmon I've had in
recent years. I don't seem to be able to eat the farmed salmon without it
vigourously repeating for hours afterwards.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JD" > wrote in message
> Denny Wheeler wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:07:46 GMT, JD > wrote:
>>

>>> Denny, there are no ribs in Lake Stevens but if you keep going east on
>>> SR 92 there's Bodaceous BBQ. Definitely one of the better Q joints
>>> you'll find in Snohomish or Skagit County. They're closed Monday and
>>> Tuesday, don't open til 4 on Wed, Thurs, open at noon Fri, Sat Sun Close
>>> at 8 every day but Sunday which is 6.
>>>

>> Thanks, JD. I'm sure it was you who mentioned Bodaceous a few months
>> ago. I may have to go over that way soonish. Conceivably this
>> weekend, unless I'm at the GF's in Burien. (btw, it's spelled
>> 'Bodacious'--hmmm. Granite Falls, eh...)
>>
>> Ya know of any good Q in the Renton/Tukwila/Burien/SeaTac/White Center
>> general area? Besides the Cave Man, I mean. (got to get over there
>> soonish)
>>
>> There's a "Bill's Bodacious BBQ" in Renton, but I know nothing about
>> it.
>> -denny-
>>

> There was a place in Issaqua whose name I can't remember that was supposed
> to be decent but I think it closed. I've found a few hole-in-the-wall
> places in the Rainier Beach part of Seattle that were OK. The Ranch House
> in Olympia is good and if Dave ever gets his act together again in
> Wenatchee, it'll be worth the trip. Country Girl BBQ in Arlington is
> pretty lame. Double Barrel in Burlington used to be consistently good but
> now only passes muster when owner Jim Lee is around enough to keep the
> help in line. Cave Man?? They're OK but not worth a trip from Lake Stevens
> for. They were a lifesaver years ago when they were the only game in town,
> otherwise I'd have racked up a lot more frequent flier miles to NC after I
> moved out here.
>
> JD

30 minutes north of Burlington in Bellingham is Speak E-Z's, we've had
really
good meals there. A link: http://www.speakezs.com/index.html
If you're roadtripping up I-5 to Vancouver.....
Brian

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 08:06:41 -0500, "43fan" >
> wrote:
>>Lots of great ideas here, and mine is somewhat standard as well, the
>>beans... Only thing I'd add is, if you don't do this now, cook your beans
>>in the smoker, under the brisket if at all possible. I have an upright
>>gas
>>smoker.

> So do I, and now I'll be reading your posts with even more interest.
> I'm more than willing to stea^H^H^H^H borrow good ideas.
>
>>I put the brisket on the top shelf, and then a coupla hours before
>>I figure the briskets gonna be done, I put the pan of baked beans in under
>>the brisket. Canned baked beans that have been augmented with onion,
>>garlic, a little ketchup, mustard and bbq sauce, some Worchestershire
>>sauce
>>and a touch of brown sugar. Then let the juices from the brisket fall
>>into
>>them.
>>
>>I do the same thing with a pork shoulder. Sometimes I get more
>>compliments
>>on the beans than the meat! Which isn't always a good thing I guess? *g*
>>Anyway, usually no complaints about the meat either, and the beans are,
>>well
>>IMO, out of this world.

> Well, now. I like this. What kind of canned beans? I like Bush's
> and don't think they'd need as much augmentation as you mention.

I use Bush's as well, but still augment. Especially the onions. I've done
the same with potatoes as well, put them in on a tray and let them bake
while the meat's smoking. Pierce them a few places with a fork, coat with
olive oil, garlic and onion powder, kosher salt and some pepper. I think a
potato that's really baked is much better than one done in a microwave
anyway, and the added smokey flavor really seems to work well, especially
with beef.

> -denny-
> --
>
> The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
> The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

When I make brisket, I fill up my smoker's top rack with bacon and then
position the brisket on the rack below. As the brisket cooks in the smoker,
the grease from the bacon drips down onto the brisket and adds flavor and
moisture. When the bacon is cooked, I remove it from the smoker, chop it up
and add it to baked beans. Now you have smokey bacon BBQ'd baked beans.
Add some slaw on the side and you have yourself one heck of a good meal.

"Bill" > wrote in message
>I am looking for suggestions for a menu with beef brisket as the main meat
> course. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:22:05 -0500, "Matt"
> wrote:

>When I make brisket, I fill up my smoker's top rack with bacon and then
>position the brisket on the rack below. As the brisket cooks in the smoker,
>the grease from the bacon drips down onto the brisket and adds flavor and
>moisture. When the bacon is cooked, I remove it from the smoker, chop it up
>and add it to baked beans. Now you have smokey bacon BBQ'd baked beans.
>Add some slaw on the side and you have yourself one heck of a good meal.

Ok, question:
Can bacon done this way be frozen for later use?
(Yeah, I know; you'd just eat it immediately! :-) )
I have a Food Saver so I can seal it, I just never tried freezing it.
Thanks!

--
Arnold Schwarzenegger was at
the Golden Globes Monday to