Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default USPS surprise

I ordered my seeds for next year on 9/10 from Park Seeds in North
Carolina. They sent me an email the same day saying that my order had
shipped. The email contained a tracking #. I checked the # a couple
of days later and the USPS message said it was waiting for receipt of
item. I figured my order was lost. I kept checking and USPS said
still waiting and that many post offices were closed due to storm.
Just yesterday that was the same message. I checked again today and
the message says my order is out for delivery by this evening. So
some things are getting moving in that terrible devastated area. I
cheer for whatever little bit of normality they are able to get. I
simply can't imagine what those people are going through. Not just
the big thing like losing your house but every little thing about how
you go about your daily life.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:20:33 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>I ordered my seeds for next year on 9/10 from Park Seeds in North
>Carolina. They sent me an email the same day saying that my order had
>shipped. The email contained a tracking #. I checked the # a couple
>of days later and the USPS message said it was waiting for receipt of
>item. I figured my order was lost. I kept checking and USPS said
>still waiting and that many post offices were closed due to storm.
>Just yesterday that was the same message. I checked again today and
>the message says my order is out for delivery by this evening. So
>some things are getting moving in that terrible devastated area. I
>cheer for whatever little bit of normality they are able to get. I
>simply can't imagine what those people are going through. Not just
>the big thing like losing your house but every little thing about how
>you go about your daily life.
>Janet US

Losing a handful of seeds can't compare to losing one's home.
Good luck with next year's garden.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2018 12:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I ordered my seeds for next year on 9/10 from Park Seeds in North
> Carolina. They sent me an email the same day saying that my order had
> shipped. The email contained a tracking #. I checked the # a couple
> of days later and the USPS message said it was waiting for receipt of
> item. I figured my order was lost. I kept checking and USPS said
> still waiting and that many post offices were closed due to storm.
> Just yesterday that was the same message. I checked again today and
> the message says my order is out for delivery by this evening. So
> some things are getting moving in that terrible devastated area. I
> cheer for whatever little bit of normality they are able to get. I
> simply can't imagine what those people are going through. Not just
> the big thing like losing your house but every little thing about how
> you go about your daily life.
> Janet US

Â* A lot of people are down on the USPS , and yes they do have their
issues . That said , their service out here in the woods is superb . I
ordered a main board for our refrigerator (got watered by the ice maker
supply ) on the 14th , got it on the 17th from Minnesnowta . They quite
often beat the estimated delivery date , and we do a lot of "mail order"
stuff living way out here in the woods .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 2:04:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 9/18/2018 12:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > I ordered my seeds for next year on 9/10 from Park Seeds in North
> > Carolina. They sent me an email the same day saying that my order had
> > shipped. The email contained a tracking #. I checked the # a couple
> > of days later and the USPS message said it was waiting for receipt of
> > item. I figured my order was lost. I kept checking and USPS said
> > still waiting and that many post offices were closed due to storm.
> > Just yesterday that was the same message. I checked again today and
> > the message says my order is out for delivery by this evening. So
> > some things are getting moving in that terrible devastated area. I
> > cheer for whatever little bit of normality they are able to get. I
> > simply can't imagine what those people are going through. Not just
> > the big thing like losing your house but every little thing about how
> > you go about your daily life.
> > Janet US

> Â* A lot of people are down on the USPS , and yes they do have their
> issues . That said , their service out here in the woods is superb . I
> ordered a main board for our refrigerator (got watered by the ice maker
> supply ) on the 14th , got it on the 17th from Minnesnowta . They quite
> often beat the estimated delivery date , and we do a lot of "mail order"
> stuff living way out here in the woods .
>
> --
> Snag
> Yes , I'm old
> and crochety - and armed .
> Get outta my woods !

Years ago when I mailed boxes of my Christmas Candy to Australia the USPS office first time warned me it would be expensive, like $25 and I was like well at least the service can be bought for $25 because if this was 200 years ago I'd have to rent a boat and devote months of my life! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2018 4:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> USPS tracking sucks. So does their delivery service. And I'll
> never use any of the SmartPost-type services (Private carrier + USPS
> for the last 25 miles).
>
> =-sw

Varies by location. I get very good service. The Smart Post can add a
day if the shipper uses it. Deliveries do come later here though, about
4PM.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-18 5:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/18/2018 4:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>

>> USPS tracking sucks.Â* So does their delivery service.Â* And I'll
>> never use any of the SmartPost-type services (Private carrier + USPS
>> for the last 25 miles).
>>
>> =-sw
>>

> Varies by location.Â* I get very good service.Â* The Smart Post can add a
> day if the shipper uses it.Â* Deliveries do come later here though, about
> 4PM.

Canadian mail service depends on location too. When my son lived in
Montreal cards and letters often took as much as 10 days to be
delivered, and we were only about 500 miles apart. Around the same time,
cards I sent from Denmark arrived within 2-3 days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 11:13:47 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Varies by location. I get very good service. The Smart Post can add a
> day if the shipper uses it. Deliveries do come later here though, about
> 4PM.

We used to ship expensive electronic stuff by US mail for decades with no problems. It's cheap and reliable. Maybe not so fast though. It's a lot better than having your brother-in-law deliver stuff to relatives on the mainland. The USBIL mail system is one sketchy delivery service but I suppose it's better than having a 13 year old witch deliver stuff on a broomstick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 14:05:21 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 9/18/2018 12:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I ordered my seeds for next year on 9/10 from Park Seeds in North
>> Carolina. They sent me an email the same day saying that my order had
>> shipped. The email contained a tracking #. I checked the # a couple
>> of days later and the USPS message said it was waiting for receipt of
>> item. I figured my order was lost. I kept checking and USPS said
>> still waiting and that many post offices were closed due to storm.
>> Just yesterday that was the same message. I checked again today and
>> the message says my order is out for delivery by this evening. So
>> some things are getting moving in that terrible devastated area. I
>> cheer for whatever little bit of normality they are able to get. I
>> simply can't imagine what those people are going through. Not just
>> the big thing like losing your house but every little thing about how
>> you go about your daily life.
>> Janet US

> * A lot of people are down on the USPS , and yes they do have their
>issues . That said , their service out here in the woods is superb . I
>ordered a main board for our refrigerator (got watered by the ice maker
>supply ) on the 14th , got it on the 17th from Minnesnowta . They quite
>often beat the estimated delivery date , and we do a lot of "mail order"
>stuff living way out here in the woods .

I'm sorry that what you got from my message was that I'm down on USPS.
On the contrary I think it is wonderful that under such awful
circumstances they have been able to function.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 15:22:00 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:20:33 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I ordered my seeds for next year on 9/10 from Park Seeds in North
>> Carolina. They sent me an email the same day saying that my order had
>> shipped. The email contained a tracking #. I checked the # a couple
>> of days later and the USPS message said it was waiting for receipt of
>> item. I figured my order was lost. I kept checking and USPS said
>> still waiting and that many post offices were closed due to storm.
>> Just yesterday that was the same message. I checked again today and
>> the message says my order is out for delivery by this evening. So
>> some things are getting moving in that terrible devastated area. I
>> cheer for whatever little bit of normality they are able to get. I
>> simply can't imagine what those people are going through. Not just
>> the big thing like losing your house but every little thing about how
>> you go about your daily life.
>> Janet US

>USPS tracking sucks. So does their delivery service. And I'll
>never use any of the SmartPost-type services (Private carrier + USPS
>for the last 25 miles).
>
>=-sw

My order was begun at the onset of a hurricane/flood crisis. Why on
earth would I complain about the service when the entire state is
under water? There was a strong possibility that my order never made
it from place of origin to the USPS. I think it is a miracle that any
mail made it through. I'm happy that the people in N. Carolina are
beginning to get some services back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 17:30:09 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-09-18 5:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/18/2018 4:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>

>>> USPS tracking sucks.* So does their delivery service.* And I'll
>>> never use any of the SmartPost-type services (Private carrier + USPS
>>> for the last 25 miles).
>>>
>>> =-sw
>>>

>> Varies by location.* I get very good service.* The Smart Post can add a
>> day if the shipper uses it.* Deliveries do come later here though, about
>> 4PM.

>Canadian mail service depends on location too.

I know from experience that Canadian mail is bad. Slow and unreliable.
I wonder if Canadians have that experience too.

>When my son lived in
>Montreal cards and letters often took as much as 10 days to be
>delivered, and we were only about 500 miles apart. Around the same time,
>cards I sent from Denmark arrived within 2-3 days.

I guess they do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2018 4:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 14:05:21 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/18/2018 12:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> I ordered my seeds for next year on 9/10 from Park Seeds in North
>>> Carolina. They sent me an email the same day saying that my order had
>>> shipped. The email contained a tracking #. I checked the # a couple
>>> of days later and the USPS message said it was waiting for receipt of
>>> item. I figured my order was lost. I kept checking and USPS said
>>> still waiting and that many post offices were closed due to storm.
>>> Just yesterday that was the same message. I checked again today and
>>> the message says my order is out for delivery by this evening. So
>>> some things are getting moving in that terrible devastated area. I
>>> cheer for whatever little bit of normality they are able to get. I
>>> simply can't imagine what those people are going through. Not just
>>> the big thing like losing your house but every little thing about how
>>> you go about your daily life.
>>> Janet US

>> Â* A lot of people are down on the USPS , and yes they do have their
>> issues . That said , their service out here in the woods is superb . I
>> ordered a main board for our refrigerator (got watered by the ice maker
>> supply ) on the 14th , got it on the 17th from Minnesnowta . They quite
>> often beat the estimated delivery date , and we do a lot of "mail order"
>> stuff living way out here in the woods .

> I'm sorry that what you got from my message was that I'm down on USPS.
> On the contrary I think it is wonderful that under such awful
> circumstances they have been able to function.

Â* My apologies , I wasn't clear enough , because that was not my intent
.. I was sayin' that they done good . But a lot of people ARE critical of
them .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-18 3:30 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-09-18 5:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/18/2018 4:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>

>>> USPS tracking sucks.Â* So does their delivery service.Â* And I'll
>>> never use any of the SmartPost-type services (Private carrier + USPS
>>> for the last 25 miles).
>>>
>>> =-sw
>>>

>> Varies by location.Â* I get very good service.Â* The Smart Post can add
>> a day if the shipper uses it.Â* Deliveries do come later here though,
>> about 4PM.

> Canadian mail service depends on location too. When my son lived in
> Montreal cards and letters often took as much as 10 days to be
> delivered, and we were only about 500 miles apart. Around the same time,
> cards I sent from Denmark arrived within 2-3 days.

I have nothing good to say about the lousy service given by Canada Post.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-18 6:54 PM, graham wrote:

>>> Varies by location.Â* I get very good service.Â* The Smart Post can add
>>> a day if the shipper uses it.Â* Deliveries do come later here though,
>>> about 4PM.

>> Canadian mail service depends on location too. When my son lived in
>> Montreal cards and letters often took as much as 10 days to be
>> delivered, and we were only about 500 miles apart. Around the same
>> time, cards I sent from Denmark arrived within 2-3 days.

> I have nothing good to say about the lousy service given by Canada Post.

I have had some interesting dealings with them. In one case, someone
came around doing some sort of safety inspection and notified me that
there was a low hanging branch that represented some sort of threat to
the person who delivers my male. My male box is across the street from
my house and the tree is on town property. There is nothing I can do
about it. Moreover, trucks go up and down this road all day long. The
branch posed no danger to them so I doubt that it was much of a threat
to the person in a car that delivers by mail.

The stranger incident was the time I moved my mail box back 6". It had
been struck and knocked down several times, so when I put it back up I
moved it back 6". Then I didn't get any mail. I always get a bunch of
stuff on Wednesdays, so when Wednesday rolled around and I didn't get
the town's weekly paper and the usual flyers I called the local post
office. Apparently my mail delivery had been suspended because the mail
box was too far from the road.

My next question was where it had to be. She couldn't really tell me.
She said that it had to be in the line of traffic. I argued that one
because in my head, that means on the road. There had to be an standard
height and distance from the road, but she did not know what it was. It
was curious that they could suspend my delivery because they mail box
was in the wrong place, but they could not tell me that proper place. It
should be noted that they actually had a brochure with that information
at the post office, and, as it turned out mine was within the designated
height and distance.

My next question was why they had not notified me. She said they had.
They sent me a letter. WTF????? They sent me a letter to tell me that
my mail delivery had been suspended. Sure enough, when I went into town
and picked up my mail there was a letter telling me that my delivery had
been suspended. The sad part was that they did not see the humour in
their having sent me a letter telling me that they were not delivering
the letter then sent me.

I had a little fun with them last month when they left a notice warning
me that I had to have my name and street number clearly posted on my
mail box. The form had my name and street address and was left in my
mail box, so if they could not read my name and number, how in hell did
they know it was my box they put their letter in?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Canadian mail service depends on location too. When my son lived in
>>> Montreal cards and letters often took as much as 10 days to be
>>> delivered, and we were only about 500 miles apart. Around the same
>>> time, cards I sent from Denmark arrived within 2-3 days.

>> I have nothing good to say about the lousy service given by Canada Post.

> I have had some interesting dealings with them. In one case, someone
> came around doing some sort of safety inspection and notified me that
> there was a low hanging branch that represented some sort of threat to
> the person who delivers my male. My male box is across the street from
> my house and the tree is on town property. There is nothing I can do
> about it. Moreover, trucks go up and down this road all day long. The
> branch posed no danger to them so I doubt that it was much of a threat
> to the person in a car that delivers by mail.
>
> The stranger incident was the time I moved my mail box back 6". It had
> been struck and knocked down several times, so when I put it back up I
> moved it back 6". Then I didn't get any mail. I always get a bunch of
> stuff on Wednesdays, so when Wednesday rolled around and I didn't get
> the town's weekly paper and the usual flyers I called the local post
> office. Apparently my mail delivery had been suspended because the mail
> box was too far from the road.
>
> My next question was where it had to be. She couldn't really tell me.
> She said that it had to be in the line of traffic. I argued that one
> because in my head, that means on the road. There had to be an standard
> height and distance from the road, but she did not know what it was. It
> was curious that they could suspend my delivery because they mail box
> was in the wrong place, but they could not tell me that proper place. It
> should be noted that they actually had a brochure with that information
> at the post office, and, as it turned out mine was within the designated
> height and distance.
>
> My next question was why they had not notified me. She said they had.
> They sent me a letter. WTF????? They sent me a letter to tell me that
> my mail delivery had been suspended. Sure enough, when I went into town
> and picked up my mail there was a letter telling me that my delivery had
> been suspended. The sad part was that they did not see the humour in
> their having sent me a letter telling me that they were not delivering
> the letter then sent me.
>

> I had a little fun with them last month when they left a notice warning
> me that I had to have my name and street number clearly posted on my
> mail box. The form had my name and street address and was left in my
> mail box, so if they could not read my name and number, how in hell did
> they know it was my box they put their letter in?

It sounds like they have it in for you. Have you possibly caused them
troubles in the past or otherwise got their angst up?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 4:50:44 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:

> I know from experience that Canadian mail is bad. Slow and unreliable.
> I wonder if Canadians have that experience too.

I got a package today from Vanuatu and it took 8 days to get here and I
was warned it may take 2-3 weeks. I'm not complaining.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2018 6:54 PM, graham wrote:

>> Canadian mail service depends on location too. When my son lived in
>> Montreal cards and letters often took as much as 10 days to be
>> delivered, and we were only about 500 miles apart. Around the same
>> time, cards I sent from Denmark arrived within 2-3 days.

> I have nothing good to say about the lousy service given by Canada Post.

I get my tea from Calgary. Takes 1 to 2 weeks to here in CT.

We had a customer in Ontario and rarely used mail, but resorted to email
and bank transfers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2018 5:41 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> We used to ship expensive electronic stuff by US mail for decades with no problems. It's cheap and reliable. Maybe not so fast though. It's a lot better than having your brother-in-law deliver stuff to relatives on the mainland. The USBIL mail system is one sketchy delivery service but I suppose it's better than having a 13 year old witch deliver stuff on a broomstick.

My friend owns a jewelry store. They often send expensive diamonds by
registered mail.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 3:44:34 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> My friend owns a jewelry store. They often send expensive diamonds by
> registered mail.

I was aware of this. It was the main reason that I had confidence in our mail system.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> I ordered my seeds for next year on 9/10 from Park Seeds in North
> Carolina. They sent me an email the same day saying that my order had
> shipped. The email contained a tracking #. I checked the # a couple
> of days later and the USPS message said it was waiting for receipt of
> item. I figured my order was lost. I kept checking and USPS said
> still waiting and that many post offices were closed due to storm.
> Just yesterday that was the same message. I checked again today and
> the message says my order is out for delivery by this evening. So
> some things are getting moving in that terrible devastated area. I
> cheer for whatever little bit of normality they are able to get. I
> simply can't imagine what those people are going through. Not just
> the big thing like losing your house but every little thing about how
> you go about your daily life.
> Janet US

Wow! I love them. Order almost all of my seeds from them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-19 12:09 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 3:44:34 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:
>>
>> My friend owns a jewelry store. They often send expensive diamonds
>> by registered mail.

> I was aware of this. It was the main reason that I had confidence in
> our mail system.

My experience with Canada Post has not been great. Many years ago my MiL
wanted to get some of my photos enlarged and framed as a Christmas
surprise. My wife got into the collection of slides I had taken while
working up north and got my best loon shots and sent them to her mother
special delivery. A few months later, MiL mailed us a box of Italian
hand blown Christmas bulbs. It was was sent parcel post and insured.
More than half the bulbs were broken. When I tried to file a claim I was
told that it only insures that it arrives. Breakage is not covered.

I can understand them not insuring breakage. We have received a number
of large envelopes that were clearly marked Fragile Do Not Bend.... and
they had been bent. That included one that had been bent to fit into
our rural mail box, even though it fit without bending.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 11:47:11 AM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I hope I never have to replace a part on my vintage large KitchenAid
> stand mixer that was made by Hobart. It's been in regular use for
> decades.

They use the same parts as when the company started in the early 1920's.
What fit an early model will fit a modern model and vice versa.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 11:46:16 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 19-Sep-2018, Sqwertz > wrote:

>> > Sorry; but, I do not. The parts I provision, some newly made, others
>> > recycled, are for Rival and Magic Hostess (metal bodied) meat slicers,
>> > Kitcheneer and Shred-o-matic appliances of the 60s-80s.

>> That seems to ring a bell now. I've always wanted a real meat
>> slicer. You know, 400 RPM with the the automatic shuttle and feeder
>> - kind of like they use (or used) at Arby's back in the dayz. Just
>> set it and forget it!

>I know the slicers you mean; I have lusted for one as well. But, I settled
>for an old Rival workhorse. A few years back, when I baked a lot of bread,
>I lusted for a Berkel bread slicer.

Unless you're selling sliced loaves it doesn't make sense to slice a
lot of bread before eating it.... use a bread knife to slice as
needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-20 10:02 AM, wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 11:46:16 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>>> That seems to ring a bell now. I've always wanted a real meat
>>> slicer. You know, 400 RPM with the the automatic shuttle and feeder
>>> - kind of like they use (or used) at Arby's back in the dayz. Just
>>> set it and forget it!

>> I know the slicers you mean; I have lusted for one as well. But, I settled
>> for an old Rival workhorse. A few years back, when I baked a lot of bread,
>> I lusted for a Berkel bread slicer.

> Unless you're selling sliced loaves it doesn't make sense to slice a
> lot of bread before eating it.... use a bread knife to slice as
> needed.

If there are enough people around to eat a loaf of bread within a day or
two will slice it as needed. My wife rarely eats bread and I only eat a
slice or two a day, so I keep bread in the freezer. It is hard to slice
frozen bread, so I get sliced bread from our local bakery and take out a
slice or two as needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 23:28:53 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:32:40 GMT, l not -l wrote:
>
>> On 18-Sep-2018, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have metal replacement gears for the more "modern" KitchenAid
>>> mixers? :-)

>> Sorry; but, I do not. The parts I provision, some newly made, others
>> recycled, are for Rival and Magic Hostess (metal bodied) meat slicers,
>> Kitcheneer and Shred-o-matic appliances of the 60s-80s.

>That seems to ring a bell now. I've always wanted a real meat
>slicer. You know, 400 RPM with the the automatic shuttle and feeder
>- kind of like they use (or used) at Arby's back in the dayz. Just
>set it and forget it!
>
>> I assume you have checked the usual suspects, Amazon and eBay. There are
>> presently beveled gear sets available on eBay, however, they may not be what
>> you seek. When searching for hard to find parts, I set up an eBay Favorite
>> Search with email notification, which eventually turns up what I seek.

>I don't need them ... yet. I just know it's a popular item that
>people frequently ask for. I used to be able to get them locally at
>a hardware store here, but that store just went out of business
>after 80 years. So I suspect I'll need them shortly! <grrr>
>
>-sw

we could go in together on the meat slicer if there wasn't a 1,000
miles between us
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 10:20:15 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-09-20 10:02 AM, wrote:

>>> I know the slicers you mean; I have lusted for one as well. But, I settled
>>> for an old Rival workhorse. A few years back, when I baked a lot of bread,
>>> I lusted for a Berkel bread slicer.

>> Unless you're selling sliced loaves it doesn't make sense to slice a
>> lot of bread before eating it.... use a bread knife to slice as
>> needed.

>If there are enough people around to eat a loaf of bread within a day or
>two will slice it as needed. My wife rarely eats bread and I only eat a
>slice or two a day, so I keep bread in the freezer. It is hard to slice
>frozen bread, so I get sliced bread from our local bakery and take out a
>slice or two as needed.

I found that when sliced bread is frozen the slices stick together.
When we buy bakery bread we don't have them slice it, we slice as
needed, a loaf goes in the fridge and lasts us 4-5 days. When we buy
packaged sliced bread it's kept in the fridge... if frozen the entire
loaf is defrosted in the fridge. About half the time we buy hard
rolls. We obviously consume more bread than you... and we both prefer
different types of bread. My wife prefers multi-grain breads, loaded
with seeds... I like bread with seeds but my teeth don't enjoy it, She
toasts her bread, I rarely toast bread. I can tell when she's
toasting bread, invariably the smoke alarm goes off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> If there are enough people around to eat a loaf of bread within a day or
>> two will slice it as needed. My wife rarely eats bread and I only eat a
>> slice or two a day, so I keep bread in the freezer. It is hard to slice
>> frozen bread, so I get sliced bread from our local bakery and take out a
>> slice or two as needed.

> I found that when sliced bread is frozen the slices stick together.

Sometimes they do stick a little. It is only our baker's sourdough whole
wheat that I have trouble prying apart. Sometimes I have to slide a
knife in and pry it a bit. The rest of the time I can pull it off by
hand. The regular whole wheat separated much more easily. I am careful
how I put it into the freezer and make sure that it is not bent and
mutilated because that makes it hard to separate when frozen.

> When we buy bakery bread we don't have them slice it, we slice as
> needed, a loaf goes in the fridge and lasts us 4-5 days. When we buy
> packaged sliced bread it's kept in the fridge... if frozen the entire
> loaf is defrosted in the fridge.

If I could go through a loaf in 4-5 days I might keep it in the fridge.
However, I love of bread lasts me about a week and a half. It would go
from fresh to stale to an penicillin project before I got through it.

> About half the time we buy hard
> rolls. We obviously consume more bread than you... and we both prefer
> different types of bread. My wife prefers multi-grain breads, loaded
> with seeds... I like bread with seeds but my teeth don't enjoy it, She
> toasts her bread, I rarely toast bread. I can tell when she's
> toasting bread, invariably the smoke alarm goes off.

I like whole wheat rolls, but good ones are hard to find. Our regular
baker makes good ones, but they are expensive. I was getting white
dinner rolls from an Italian bakery on one town but the last two times
they were not fresh. Actually, two batches ago the owner warned me they
were day old. That's fine because they were going in the freezer anyway,
and day olds from the freezer are as good as those bought fresh then
frozen. They turned out to have been a lot more than day old. They were
stale. The next time I bought fresh rolls and they were half stale.

Last week I started picking them up at a different Italian bakery. The
rolls were fresher and froze nicely. When thawed for use they were very
fresh tasting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-20 10:24 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> When we buy bakery bread we don't have them slice it, we slice as
>> needed, a loaf goes in the fridge and lasts us 4-5 days.Â* When we buy
>> packaged sliced bread it's kept in the fridge... if frozen the entire
>> loaf is defrosted in the fridge.

> If I could go through a loaf in 4-5 days I might keep it in the fridge.

NEVER keep bread in the fridge!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news
> On 2018-09-20 10:24 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>>> When we buy bakery bread we don't have them slice it, we slice as
>>> needed, a loaf goes in the fridge and lasts us 4-5 days. When we buy
>>> packaged sliced bread it's kept in the fridge... if frozen the entire
>>> loaf is defrosted in the fridge.

>> If I could go through a loaf in 4-5 days I might keep it in the fridge.

> NEVER keep bread in the fridge!

Why not?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-20 10:34 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "graham" > wrote in message
> news

>>> If I could go through a loaf in 4-5 days I might keep it in the fridge.

>> NEVER keep bread in the fridge!

> Why not?
>
> Cheri

It stales faster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-20 10:38 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-09-20 10:34 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "graham" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> NEVER keep bread in the fridge!

>> Why not?
>>
>> Cheri

> It stales faster.

To regular bread bakers, that's Bread 101!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news
> On 2018-09-20 10:34 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "graham" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> NEVER keep bread in the fridge!

>> Why not?
>>
>> Cheri

> It stales faster.

OK, but I haven't really found that to be true with the bread I buy, not
often, but if I leave it out, it molds quickly. I think you mostly make your
own?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news
> On 2018-09-20 10:38 AM, graham wrote:
>> On 2018-09-20 10:34 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Why not?
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> It stales faster.

> To regular bread bakers, that's Bread 101!

When I make my own it's gone quickly, within a day. I don't make my own
often anymore, but I will agree that it would stale faster for sure in the
fridge.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 10:32:50 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-09-20 10:24 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>>> When we buy bakery bread we don't have them slice it, we slice as
>>> needed, a loaf goes in the fridge and lasts us 4-5 days.* When we buy
>>> packaged sliced bread it's kept in the fridge... if frozen the entire
>>> loaf is defrosted in the fridge.

>> If I could go through a loaf in 4-5 days I might keep it in the fridge.

>NEVER keep bread in the fridge!

don't even bother trying, Graham.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 09:58:05 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"graham" > wrote in message
>news

>>> It stales faster.

>> To regular bread bakers, that's Bread 101!

>When I make my own it's gone quickly, within a day. I don't make my own
>often anymore, but I will agree that it would stale faster for sure in the
>fridge.
>
>Cheri

I grabbed this explanation from the Web. Just search 'why does bread
stale' and you'll get lots of hits.

"The crumb (the part inside) gets hard and stiff and the crust loses
any crispness it might have had. Most people attribute this to drying
out, but the opposite is in fact true. The bread is actually absorbing
moisture, as shown by an increase in weight as the loaf goes from
fresh to stale. The moisture absorbed by the crumb causes the starch
granules to crystallize, hardening the bread. This is why the fridge
is a bad place to store bread, even when it is well-wrapped, because
low temperatures speed up the starch crystallization process (although
freezing bread is fine because starch crystals don’t form at freezer
temperatures). It’s also why a brief visit to the oven can improve
stale bread, because the heat drives out some moisture and helps melt
the starch crystals."
https://kitchen-myths.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 17:05:59 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 20-Sep-2018, U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 23:28:53 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >That seems to ring a bell now. I've always wanted a real meat
>> >slicer. You know, 400 RPM with the the automatic shuttle and feeder
>> >- kind of like they use (or used) at Arby's back in the dayz. Just
>> >set it and forget it!

>> >I don't need them ... yet. I just know it's a popular item that
>> >people frequently ask for. I used to be able to get them locally at
>> >a hardware store here, but that store just went out of business
>> >after 80 years. So I suspect I'll need them shortly! <grrr>
>> >
>> >-sw

>> we could go in together on the meat slicer if there wasn't a 1,000
>> miles between us

>Well, I'd be willing to join in. Perhaps we three (or more if others join
>in) could be the, um, er, uh - Siblinghood of the Traveling Slicer. 8-)

I love it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 12:24:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> If there are enough people around to eat a loaf of bread within a day or
>>> two will slice it as needed. My wife rarely eats bread and I only eat a
>>> slice or two a day, so I keep bread in the freezer. It is hard to slice
>>> frozen bread, so I get sliced bread from our local bakery and take out a
>>> slice or two as needed.

>> I found that when sliced bread is frozen the slices stick together.

>Sometimes they do stick a little. It is only our baker's sourdough whole
>wheat that I have trouble prying apart. Sometimes I have to slide a
>knife in and pry it a bit. The rest of the time I can pull it off by
>hand. The regular whole wheat separated much more easily. I am careful
>how I put it into the freezer and make sure that it is not bent and
>mutilated because that makes it hard to separate when frozen.
>

>> When we buy bakery bread we don't have them slice it, we slice as
>> needed, a loaf goes in the fridge and lasts us 4-5 days. When we buy
>> packaged sliced bread it's kept in the fridge... if frozen the entire
>> loaf is defrosted in the fridge.

>If I could go through a loaf in 4-5 days I might keep it in the fridge.
>However, I love of bread lasts me about a week and a half. It would go
>from fresh to stale to an penicillin project before I got through it.
>
> > About half the time we buy hard
>> rolls. We obviously consume more bread than you... and we both prefer
>> different types of bread. My wife prefers multi-grain breads, loaded
>> with seeds... I like bread with seeds but my teeth don't enjoy it, She
>> toasts her bread, I rarely toast bread. I can tell when she's
>> toasting bread, invariably the smoke alarm goes off.

>I like whole wheat rolls, but good ones are hard to find. Our regular
>baker makes good ones, but they are expensive. I was getting white
>dinner rolls from an Italian bakery on one town but the last two times
>they were not fresh. Actually, two batches ago the owner warned me they
>were day old. That's fine because they were going in the freezer anyway,
>and day olds from the freezer are as good as those bought fresh then
>frozen. They turned out to have been a lot more than day old. They were
>stale. The next time I bought fresh rolls and they were half stale.
>
>Last week I started picking them up at a different Italian bakery. The
>rolls were fresher and froze nicely. When thawed for use they were very
>fresh tasting.

Since discovering this brand it's mostly all we buy.
http://www.heidelbergbread.com/bread/