Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Surprise

Last week, DH and I were running way behind schedule and finished up
shopping at WalMart. Decided, since it was well past lunch time to stop in
at their McDonald's. Just cheese burgers, fries and coke. $ 14.00 ? Good
grief. Is that really what the people who don't cook routinely pay for a
quick lunch? I realize we have many here with unlimited budgets and those
who would happily die before 'doing' lunch at McDonald's. That aside, is
that where people who "don't cook" find themselves? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Last week, DH and I were running way behind schedule and finished up
> shopping at WalMart. Decided, since it was well past lunch time to stop in
> at their McDonald's. Just cheese burgers, fries and coke. $ 14.00 ?
> Good grief. Is that really what the people who don't cook routinely pay
> for a quick lunch? I realize we have many here with unlimited budgets
> and those who would happily die before 'doing' lunch at McDonald's. That
> aside, is that where people who "don't cook" find themselves? Polly

Somebody is offering a $4 lunch. Perhaps Subway? Not sure. But I would
imagine that most people who don't cook would pay more than that for a meal.
We don't do fast food often and never McDonalds. But when we have had the
occasional meal at Burger King, Wendy's or Taco Time, we pay between $16-21
for the two of us. We always have salads though or apples or other fruit if
it is offered.

However, if that were us and we needed lunch, we would not have gone to the
McDonalds. We would have made do with something we could have gotten in the
Walmart. Our Walmart doesn't have a full grocery but they do have some
things. We could have gotten a bag of salad, a can of some kind of beans
and some corn chips or corn or flour tortillas. Daughter would probably
choose a package of cheese of some kind. I don't think that our Walmart has
individual pieces of cheese but they have the bagged Tillamoos, shredded
cheese and string cheese. I always travel with a can opener. And we would
have bought plates and if needed plastic flatware. We would use the extra
at home.

I think Walmart might even have some prepared salads in a bowl. I think my
daughter bought one once. And they used to sell the little packages of
things like apple slices, grapes, cheese, pretzels, etc. One of those would
serve for lunch too. Heck, even trail mix or granola bars, box of crackers
and aerosol or sliced cheese... I can think of dozens of things that one
could make a lunch out of that wouldn't involve McDs.

That being said... I do know people who don't cook. They don't always eat
fast food either, but they do sometimes. And when they do, they eat big
meals. A mere cheeseburger wouldn't do. They would have one of the bigger
things like a Big Mac, some chicken nuggets, large fries, a salad, a drink
and quite possibly a dessert.

You might consider kid's meals or even big kid's meals if you do decide to
dine there again. That's what we used to do. Not sure if you still get a
toy with those meals or not. The big kid's meals have a normal sized burger
in them. I believe what you get now is a tiny amount of fries along with a
small amount of apple slices. And a very small drink. We would get two of
those and split a salad.

I don't know if McD's has a dollar menu or not. I think they used to. I
have seen people go into fast food places and only order from the dollar
menu. They might order several different things though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Last week, DH and I were running way behind schedule and finished up
> shopping at WalMart. Decided, since it was well past lunch time to stop in
> at their McDonald's. Just cheese burgers, fries and coke. $ 14.00 ?
> Good grief. Is that really what the people who don't cook routinely pay
> for a quick lunch? I realize we have many here with unlimited budgets
> and those who would happily die before 'doing' lunch at McDonald's. That
> aside, is that where people who "don't cook" find themselves? Polly

Wow, just looking at the menu where I am in CA. A quarter pounder with
cheese, fries, and soft drink is 3.69. I can't imagine paying 14 dollars for
two orders of cheese burgers, fries, and cokes, even when I did eat there.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>> Last week, DH and I were running way behind schedule and finished up
>> shopping at WalMart. Decided, since it was well past lunch time to stop
>> in at their McDonald's. Just cheese burgers, fries and coke. $ 14.00 ?
>> Good grief. Is that really what the people who don't cook routinely pay
>> for a quick lunch? I realize we have many here with unlimited budgets
>> and those who would happily die before 'doing' lunch at McDonald's. That
>> aside, is that where people who "don't cook" find themselves? Polly

> Wow, just looking at the menu where I am in CA. A quarter pounder with
> cheese, fries, and soft drink is 3.69. I can't imagine paying 14 dollars
> for two orders of cheese burgers, fries, and cokes, even when I did eat
> there.
>
> Cheri

I just looked. They do have a dollar menu. Can get a Grilled Onion Cheddar
Burger, McDouble, McChicken, Side Salad, Fruit and Yogurt Parfait, Sweet
Tea, Vanilla Cone or Soft Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie. No prices are listed
for other things. And apparently they changed the kid's menus. Soft drinks
are not an option. Only milk or juice. And no more Big Kid's but Mighty
Kid's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>>> Last week, DH and I were running way behind schedule and finished up
>>> shopping at WalMart. Decided, since it was well past lunch time to stop
>>> in at their McDonald's. Just cheese burgers, fries and coke. $ 14.00 ?
>>> Good grief. Is that really what the people who don't cook routinely pay
>>> for a quick lunch? I realize we have many here with unlimited budgets
>>> and those who would happily die before 'doing' lunch at McDonald's.
>>> That aside, is that where people who "don't cook" find themselves?
>>> Polly

>> Wow, just looking at the menu where I am in CA. A quarter pounder with
>> cheese, fries, and soft drink is 3.69. I can't imagine paying 14 dollars
>> for two orders of cheese burgers, fries, and cokes, even when I did eat
>> there.
>>
>> Cheri

> I just looked. They do have a dollar menu. Can get a Grilled Onion
> Cheddar Burger, McDouble, McChicken, Side Salad, Fruit and Yogurt Parfait,
> Sweet Tea, Vanilla Cone or Soft Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie. No prices
> are listed for other things. And apparently they changed the kid's menus.
> Soft drinks are not an option. Only milk or juice. And no more Big Kid's
> but Mighty Kid's.

http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/ for just about any prices.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:15:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

And apparently they changed the kid's menus. Soft drinks
> are not an option. Only milk or juice.

That's because they are concerned with the health of
the kids. Soft drinks are bad for them.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/22/2013 10:29 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Last week, DH and I were running way behind schedule and finished up
> shopping at WalMart. Decided, since it was well past lunch time to
> stop in at their McDonald's. Just cheese burgers, fries and coke. $
> 14.00 ? Good grief. Is that really what the people who don't cook
> routinely pay for a quick lunch? I realize we have many here with
> unlimited budgets and those who would happily die before 'doing'
> lunch at McDonald's. That aside, is that where people who "don't
> cook" find themselves? Polly

I hit the McD drive-through this past weekend (yard work - too dirty
and busy to cook or eat out). I got two burgers, a medium fry and a
medium soft drink for $4.94.

Hamburgers - 89 cents each (cheeseburgers are a buck)
Medium fry - $1.69
Medium drink - $1.10
the rest being sales tax

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Wow, just looking at the menu where I am in CA. A quarter pounder with
>>> cheese, fries, and soft drink is 3.69. I can't imagine paying 14 dollars
>>> for two orders of cheese burgers, fries, and cokes, even when I did eat
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I just looked. They do have a dollar menu. Can get a Grilled Onion
>> Cheddar Burger, McDouble, McChicken, Side Salad, Fruit and Yogurt
>> Parfait, Sweet Tea, Vanilla Cone or Soft Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie. No
>> prices are listed for other things. And apparently they changed the
>> kid's menus. Soft drinks are not an option. Only milk or juice. And no
>> more Big Kid's but Mighty Kid's.

> http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/ for just about any prices.
>
> Cheri

Does not list local chains like Taco Time or Taco Del Mar. And some of the
things listed on the Dollar Menu for McDs are not listed on my Dollar Menu.
I also know that McDs prices and offerings vary from place to place. The one
that we went to in San Francisco had much higher prices than the ones in
Alameda. And while making a cross country move, we discovered some that
sold hot dogs and soup! The salad offerings varied from place to place.
And in PA they offered some fruit and walnut thing. Not the parfait. But
sadly, the walnuts which is why I ordered it in the first place, were
candied.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 09:35:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/ for just about any prices.

How did you find out about that? I go to a web site and I'm pretty
much screwed if prices aren't listed. Sometimes, an older menu is on
menupages.com but I never actually think of going there on my own.
It's usually a link from google maps or something like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:15:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

> And apparently they changed the kid's menus. Soft drinks
>> are not an option. Only milk or juice.

> That's because they are concerned with the health of
> the kids. Soft drinks are bad for them.

Not if the soft drinks are diet and there are diabetic kids who would need
those.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 09:35:36 -0700, Cheri wrote:
>
>> http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/ for just about any prices.

> Prices vary in different markets. Even within the same city.

They do!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 13:35:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
> > On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:15:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>

> > And apparently they changed the kid's menus. Soft drinks
> >> are not an option. Only milk or juice.

> > That's because they are concerned with the health of
> > the kids. Soft drinks are bad for them.

> Not if the soft drinks are diet and there are diabetic kids who would need
> those.

Diabetic kids should be drinking water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-10-23 1:07 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:15:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

> And apparently they changed the kid's menus. Soft drinks
>> are not an option. Only milk or juice.

> That's because they are concerned with the health of
> the kids. Soft drinks are bad for them.

Juice isn't much better for them. There is some nutritional value but
most of them are loaded with sugar.

If it is true that they have removed soft drinks from the kids menu
there may be another motive for it..... they will sell the soft drinks
as an extra.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-10-23 1:07 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:15:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

> And apparently they changed the kid's menus. Soft drinks
>> are not an option. Only milk or juice.

> That's because they are concerned with the health of
> the kids. Soft drinks are bad for them.

I should have checked the McDonanalds menu on line before I replied. I
am always leery of any claim made by Bovine because she has a
demonstrated problem with facts and reality. I just looked at McDs
online menu and the Happy Meal offers a choice of small juice, 1% milk,
chocolate milk, or.... a child sized soft drink.

The Happy Meal has three options for side dishes; small fries, mini size
fries, or apple slices. The apple slices come with caramel dip. I guess
that is supposed to be the healthy component.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:19:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 13:53:20 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>
>> I hit the McD drive-through this past weekend (yard work - too dirty
>> and busy to cook or eat out). I got two burgers, a medium fry and a
>> medium soft drink for $4.94.
>>
>> Hamburgers - 89 cents each (cheeseburgers are a buck)

>With McDoubles you get twice as much "meat" (that's what they call it)
>for the same price.
>
>> Medium fry - $1.69
>> Medium drink - $1.10

>Medium drinks here are $1.69 last I looked. A large was over $2.
>Like I said elsewhere, the fries and the drinks come with an 800+%
>markup.
>
>-sw

WTF... DWARF BURGERS!
Normal people wouldn't even consider eating that McSHIT... PeeU!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:15:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> >

> And apparently they changed the kid's menus. Soft drinks
> > are not an option. Only milk or juice.

> That's because they are concerned with the health of
> the kids. Soft drinks are bad for them.

LOL! Give me a break. McDonalds is NOT concerned about the health of
you or your kids. They give juice or milk now just so you might think
that they care. It's the current politically correct thing to do.
McDonald's only goal is to make more McDollars.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-10-23 6:18 PM, Gary wrote:
> Helpful person wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:15:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>> And apparently they changed the kid's menus. Soft drinks
>>> are not an option. Only milk or juice.

>> That's because they are concerned with the health of
>> the kids. Soft drinks are bad for them.

> LOL! Give me a break. McDonalds is NOT concerned about the health of
> you or your kids. They give juice or milk now just so you might think
> that they care. It's the current politically correct thing to do.
> McDonald's only goal is to make more McDollars.

I doubted Bovine's claim, so I checked the McD's menu online. The Happy
Meal offers juice, 1% milk, chocolate milk or a soft drink.

Even if they did remove the soft drink from the menu, they can try to
take the high moral ground with the other not so healthy choices, and
sell the soft drinks on the side. Soft drinks is where they make their
money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:29:30 PM UTC-4, Polly Esther wrote:
> Last week, DH and I were running way behind schedule and finished up
>
> shopping at WalMart. Decided, since it was well past lunch time to stop in
>
> at their McDonald's. Just cheese burgers, fries and coke. $ 14.00 ? Good
>
> grief. Is that really what the people who don't cook routinely pay for a
>
> quick lunch? I realize we have many here with unlimited budgets and those
>
> who would happily die before 'doing' lunch at McDonald's. That aside, is
>
> that where people who "don't cook" find themselves? Polly

How many cheeseburgers did you get?!?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 09:35:36 -0700, Cheri wrote:
>
>> http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/ for just about any prices.

> Prices vary in different markets. Even within the same city.
>
> -sw

True. Where I am, the prices are very reasonable, might not be like that in
places like the Bay Area of CA etc.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 09:35:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/ for just about any prices.

> How did you find out about that? I go to a web site and I'm pretty
> much screwed if prices aren't listed. Sometimes, an older menu is on
> menupages.com but I never actually think of going there on my own.
> It's usually a link from google maps or something like that.

From my friend who sent a link when she was deciding on lunch with another
friend and asking me if I thought the prices were accurate. I do not eat at
fast food places anymore much at all, so don't know the exact prices. The
last time I checked on fast food was for Long John Silver and the price of
their fish had gone up from one dollar per piece of fish to 1.50. I thought
that was too much for a piece of fish.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 13:35:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
>> > On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:15:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> >>
>> > And apparently they changed the kid's menus. Soft drinks
>> >
>> > That's because they are concerned with the health of
>> > the kids. Soft drinks are bad for them.

>> Not if the soft drinks are diet and there are diabetic kids who would
>> need
>> those.

> Diabetic kids should be drinking water.

Not if they're low.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 13:34:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> And while making a cross country move, we discovered some that
> sold hot dogs and soup!

I think you'll soon figure out that McDonald's adapts to regional
tastes and serves them... like rice and spam in Hawaii.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

NOBODY, including any diabetic person of any age, NEEDS a soft drink, diet or not.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:19:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 13:35:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> Not if the soft drinks are diet and there are diabetic kids who would
> >> need
> >> those.

> > Diabetic kids should be drinking water.

> Not if they're low.

Let them eat candy bars!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:18:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 09:35:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/ for just about any prices.

> > How did you find out about that? I go to a web site and I'm pretty
> > much screwed if prices aren't listed. Sometimes, an older menu is on
> > menupages.com but I never actually think of going there on my own.
> > It's usually a link from google maps or something like that.

> From my friend who sent a link when she was deciding on lunch with another
> friend and asking me if I thought the prices were accurate. I do not eat at
> fast food places anymore much at all, so don't know the exact prices. The
> last time I checked on fast food was for Long John Silver and the price of
> their fish had gone up from one dollar per piece of fish to 1.50. I thought
> that was too much for a piece of fish.

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 18:18:20 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Helpful person wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:15:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> > >

> > And apparently they changed the kid's menus. Soft drinks
> > > are not an option. Only milk or juice.

> > That's because they are concerned with the health of
> > the kids. Soft drinks are bad for them.

> LOL! Give me a break. McDonalds is NOT concerned about the health of
> you or your kids. z

I think he was *kidding*, Gary. He's not that ignorant.

> They give juice or milk now just so you might think that they care.
> It's the current politically correct thing to do.

They're doing it because the public pressured them into doing it.

> McDonald's only goal is to make more McDollars.

That's for sure. Find a need and fill it, even if it's foisted on
you. McDonald's Corp cares about making money and if a couple of
options that don't cost them much brings in more people, they'll do
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> NOBODY, including any diabetic person of any age, NEEDS a soft drink, diet
> or not.
>
> N.

Not true.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:19:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 13:35:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > Diabetic kids should be drinking water.

>> Not if they're low.
>>

> Let them eat candy bars!

Candy bars with chocolate/fat can be too slow acting.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2013 8:46 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> NOBODY, including any diabetic person of any age, NEEDS a soft drink,
>> diet or not.
>>
>> N.

> Not true.

She very obviously stressed NEEDS. She is right. No one NEEDS a soft
drink, diet or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 10/23/2013 8:46 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>> NOBODY, including any diabetic person of any age, NEEDS a soft drink,
>>> diet or not.
>>>
>>> N.

>> Not true.

> She very obviously stressed NEEDS. She is right. No one NEEDS a soft
> drink, diet or not.

OK, you're with a type 1, they go low, you have nothing but a sugared soft
drink in the car...in that case they NEED it! Never say never or ANY
diabetic.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2013 10:25 PM, Cheri wrote:
..

>>> Not true.

>> She very obviously stressed NEEDS. She is right. No one NEEDS a soft
>> drink, diet or not.
>>

> OK, you're with a type 1, they go low, you have nothing but a sugared
> soft drink in the car...in that case they NEED it! Never say never or
> ANY diabetic.

You could have specified that instead of just saying it is not true.
Given the percentage of people who have type 1 diabetes and the chances
of them being in a car and having nothing with sugar but a soft drink ......
A can of pop would have way more sugar than they need, and most
diabetics carry some candies.

So I have to go along with the general rule that no one NEEDS a soft
drink diet or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Last week, DH and I were running way behind schedule and finished up
shopping at WalMart. Decided, since it was well past lunch time to stop in
at their McDonald's. Just cheese burgers, fries and coke. $ 14.00 ? Good
grief. Is that really what the people who don't cook routinely pay for a
quick lunch? I realize we have many here with unlimited budgets and those
who would happily die before 'doing' lunch at McDonald's. That aside, is
that where people who "don't cook" find themselves? Polly >

Interesting exchange but my puzzle is how/what/where are people eating when
they say, "I don't cook". How could they possibly afford to even buy a
biscuit at Hardees, a burger at McD's and a taco at the Bell (or whatever)
day in and day out? And, maybe it's a local thing but Mr. Esther and I were
grocery shopping in a city today. When we lose each other, we've agreed to
meet at bananas. Such a lonely place. Beautiful fruits and vegetables.
Nearly nobody there. I even had free run at the bread section. The frozen
food dinner row was packed as was the candy aisle and the snack section.
Maybe it is time for us to take over. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:13:59 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 09:35:36 -0700, Cheri wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/ for just about any prices.

> > Prices vary in different markets. Even within the same city.
> >
> > -sw

> True. Where I am, the prices are very reasonable, might not be like that in
> places like the Bay Area of CA etc.

I don't agree with Julie's slant on the facts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 17:47:40 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:19:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:

> >> Not if they're low.
> >>

> > Let them eat candy bars!

> Candy bars with chocolate/fat can be too slow acting.

I know nothing about childhood diabetes except the boy in my
elementary class who had it and he used candy bars to do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 17:20:20 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> NOBODY, including any diabetic person of any age, NEEDS a soft drink, diet or not.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 19:25:00 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> >> Not true.

> > She very obviously stressed NEEDS. She is right. No one NEEDS a soft
> > drink, diet or not.
> >

> OK, you're with a type 1, they go low, you have nothing but a sugared soft
> drink in the car...in that case they NEED it! Never say never or ANY
> diabetic.

That scenario is just so much BS. It's a tiny portion of the
population.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 22:36:56 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> So I have to go along with the general rule that no one NEEDS a soft
> drink diet or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 10/23/2013 10:25 PM, Cheri wrote:
> .

>>> She very obviously stressed NEEDS. She is right. No one NEEDS a soft
>>> drink, diet or not.
>>>

>> OK, you're with a type 1, they go low, you have nothing but a sugared
>> soft drink in the car...in that case they NEED it! Never say never or
>> ANY diabetic.
>>

> You could have specified that instead of just saying it is not true. Given
> the percentage of people who have type 1 diabetes and the chances of them
> being in a car and having nothing with sugar but a soft drink ......
> A can of pop would have way more sugar than they need, and most diabetics
> carry some candies.

I did in a previous post. I have actually been in a situation close to that
with a little type 1 diabetic friend of mine who is not so little anymore,
that's why I said it, but some people seem to have a need to jump into every
post with absolutes, even when they're wrong, which they were in this case.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 22:16:14 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> > On 10/23/2013 10:25 PM, Cheri wrote:
> > .

> >> OK, you're with a type 1, they go low, you have nothing but a sugared
> >> soft drink in the car...in that case they NEED it! Never say never or
> >> ANY diabetic.
> >>

> > You could have specified that instead of just saying it is not true. Given
> > the percentage of people who have type 1 diabetes and the chances of them
> > being in a car and having nothing with sugar but a soft drink ......
> > A can of pop would have way more sugar than they need, and most diabetics
> > carry some candies.

> I did in a previous post. I have actually been in a situation close to that
> with a little type 1 diabetic friend of mine who is not so little anymore,
> that's why I said it, but some people seem to have a need to jump into every
> post with absolutes, even when they're wrong, which they were in this case.

In that particular case, "special needs" were not taken into
consideration. Of course, people who need to be noticed will always
make the exceptions appear to be enormous.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 13:35:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
>> > On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:15:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> >>
>> > And apparently they changed the kid's menus. Soft drinks
>> >
>> > That's because they are concerned with the health of
>> > the kids. Soft drinks are bad for them.

>> Not if the soft drinks are diet and there are diabetic kids who would
>> need
>> those.

> Diabetic kids should be drinking water.

Everyone should be drinking water. But they also drink diet soda. Why
shouldn't they?

Surprise Hot Dish [email protected] General Cooking 5 13-12-2010 04:20 PM
TN I like a Rheingau more than a Rhone white (surprise, surprise) DaleW Wine 11 16-09-2007 02:50 AM
Hot Dog Surprise Duckie ® Recipes 0 18-06-2005 06:09 PM
A surprise Cindy Fuller General Cooking 14 29-07-2004 05:26 AM