Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default First Pick

Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:
https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
This is only the beginning, lots more comming.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 7:22:15 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:
> https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
> This is only the beginning, lots more comming.

I'll take the yellow squash!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 7:22:15 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:
>> https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
>> This is only the beginning, lots more comming.
>>

> I'll take the yellow squash!

I'll take the zucchini.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 17:23:21 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 7:22:15 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:
>> https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
>> This is only the beginning, lots more comming.
>>

>I'll take the yellow squash!

You may have as much as you can eat, come and get it. That's less
than half, the rest goes to the golf course tomorrow. This time I
only kept the small cukes. We won't be home this weekend so no time
to cook, better to give it away than it rots. We'll be going to the
grandson's camp on Saturday, they will have fantastic NYC viands, lots
of Appy, and baked goods to die for. My favorite is unlimited
whitefish salad on onion rolls and lox on bagels with a schmear. My
wife loves the pastries.

It's a very expensive camp, like $13,000 for the summer but he goes
for free. He's in charge of the fishing, all because when he was
five years old I got him into it with a couple kids books on fishing
and taking him to fish around here in the lakes and creeks. Now he's
14 and into fishing like a pro. I wish when I was a kid I could have
went to this camp:
https://www.timberlakecamp.com/
He'll be able to go for free until he's sixteen and then he can become
a counseler, It's been a great experience for a kid. Counselors
there are from all over the world, I enjoy meeting them eash summer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 18:04:56 -0700, Cheri wrote:

> wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 7:22:15 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:
>>> https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
>>> This is only the beginning, lots more comming.
>>>

>> I'll take the yellow squash!
>>

>I'll take the zucchini.

No one's gonna fight you for it.

--
Do not spray into eyes
I have sprayed you into my eyes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 02:03:55 -0400 (EDT), "Lesmond"
> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 18:04:56 -0700, Cheri wrote:
>
> wrote in message

>>> I'll take the yellow squash!
>>>

>>I'll take the zucchini.

>No one's gonna fight you for it.

I love 'em.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2018 03:34:20 UTC+2 Sheldon wrote:

> We'll be going to the
> grandson's camp on Saturday, they will have fantastic NYC viands, lots
> of Appy, and baked goods to die for. My favorite is unlimited
> whitefish salad on onion rolls and lox on bagels with a schmear. My
> wife loves the pastries.
>
> It's a very expensive camp, like $13,000 for the summer but he goes
> for free. He's in charge of the fishing, all because when he was
> five years old I got him into it with a couple kids books on fishing
> and taking him to fish around here in the lakes and creeks. Now he's
> 14 and into fishing like a pro. I wish when I was a kid I could have
> went to this camp:
> https://www.timberlakecamp.com/
> He'll be able to go for free until he's sixteen and then he can become
> a counseler, It's been a great experience for a kid. Counselors
> there are from all over the world, I enjoy meeting them eash summer.

That's great! You must be very proud of your grandson and have every
reason to. Have a wonderful time!

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 20:22:11 -0400, wrote:

>Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:

https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
>This is only the beginning, lots more comming.

Nice.
I've got about a dozen zucchini waiting the fridge. Today I will
shred them all and pack in 2 cup portions and freeze. 2 cups is what
all my zucchini baked goods recipes use.
I am not seeing any bees this year. I am having to hand pollinate the
zucchini. The cucumbers female blossoms are dropping, unpollinated.
Normally I have lots of bees.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2018 8:01 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 20:22:11 -0400, wrote:
>
>> Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:

https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
>> This is only the beginning, lots more comming.

> Nice.
> I've got about a dozen zucchini waiting the fridge. Today I will
> shred them all and pack in 2 cup portions and freeze. 2 cups is what
> all my zucchini baked goods recipes use.
> I am not seeing any bees this year. I am having to hand pollinate the
> zucchini. The cucumbers female blossoms are dropping, unpollinated.
> Normally I have lots of bees.
> Janet US

Â* Any ideas why the bee shortage ? FWIW I seldom see honey bees on the
squashes and other stuff in my garden and the hives are only a few feet
away . I do see lots of other pollinators working the garden , carpenter
bees and certain flies seem to most of that .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>penmart wrote:
>
>>Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:
>>https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
>>This is only the beginning, lots more comming.

>Nice.
>I've got about a dozen zucchini waiting the fridge. Today I will
>shred them all and pack in 2 cup portions and freeze. 2 cups is what
>all my zucchini baked goods recipes use.
>I am not seeing any bees this year. I am having to hand pollinate the
>zucchini. The cucumbers female blossoms are dropping, unpollinated.
>Normally I have lots of bees.
>Janet US

Could be the weather, sometimes the blossoming doesn't coinside with
pollinator emergence. Last year my fruit trees bloomed during an
early warm spell and then a frost made them all drop before the
pollenators arrived. This year the weather cooperated so I'll have a
large apple and plum crop. There are so many apples that I'll need to
pick off every other one or their weight will break the branches.
That's what they do in the orchards and that also yields larger fruit.
Unlike fruit trees zuchinni will continue setting blossoms so
eventually your pollenators will arrive. Harvest when small and they
will keep producing, you'll actually get a lot more by weight.
Every Oriental long bean seed germinated, all 20, I'm curious to see
how they produce, this is the first time I've planted them. They are
already climbing on the trellises I provided, I'm expecting a huge
crop, I'll probably need to freeze most. Only a very few Chinese
restaurants serve long beans so whenever I see them on the menu I
order them.
Amazon sells the seeds.
http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/stir...ng-beans-with/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 08:26:02 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 7/19/2018 8:01 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 20:22:11 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>> Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:

https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
>>> This is only the beginning, lots more comming.

>> Nice.
>> I've got about a dozen zucchini waiting the fridge. Today I will
>> shred them all and pack in 2 cup portions and freeze. 2 cups is what
>> all my zucchini baked goods recipes use.
>> I am not seeing any bees this year. I am having to hand pollinate the
>> zucchini. The cucumbers female blossoms are dropping, unpollinated.
>> Normally I have lots of bees.
>> Janet US

> * Any ideas why the bee shortage ? FWIW I seldom see honey bees on the
>squashes and other stuff in my garden and the hives are only a few feet
>away . I do see lots of other pollinators working the garden , carpenter
>bees and certain flies seem to most of that .

no idea. I see a lot of those paper wasps around the deck but not in
the garden I have a weird assortment of insects this year that
haven't been noticeable in previous years. Probably due to the off
and on weather in the early spring. I imagine that could have
affected the bees and their food.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 09:55:36 -0400, wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jul 2018U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>penmart wrote:
>>
>>>Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:

https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
>>>This is only the beginning, lots more comming.

>>Nice.
>>I've got about a dozen zucchini waiting the fridge. Today I will
>>shred them all and pack in 2 cup portions and freeze. 2 cups is what
>>all my zucchini baked goods recipes use.
>>I am not seeing any bees this year. I am having to hand pollinate the
>>zucchini. The cucumbers female blossoms are dropping, unpollinated.
>>Normally I have lots of bees.
>>Janet US

>Could be the weather, sometimes the blossoming doesn't coinside with
>pollinator emergence. Last year my fruit trees bloomed during an
>early warm spell and then a frost made them all drop before the
>pollenators arrived. This year the weather cooperated so I'll have a
>large apple and plum crop. There are so many apples that I'll need to
>pick off every other one or their weight will break the branches.
>That's what they do in the orchards and that also yields larger fruit.
>Unlike fruit trees zuchinni will continue setting blossoms so
>eventually your pollenators will arrive. Harvest when small and they
>will keep producing, you'll actually get a lot more by weight.
>Every Oriental long bean seed germinated, all 20, I'm curious to see
>how they produce, this is the first time I've planted them. They are
>already climbing on the trellises I provided, I'm expecting a huge
>crop, I'll probably need to freeze most. Only a very few Chinese
>restaurants serve long beans so whenever I see them on the menu I
>order them.
>Amazon sells the seeds.
>http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/stir...ng-beans-with/

I'm thinking the cold then hot then cold then hot affected the
pollinators. I think it was those couple of weeks off and on of night
time temps in the 30s. I've got more zucchini than I will need. I do
love my cucumbers and I should be swimming in them by now but have
only had one. The horseradish and thyme should start blooming soon
and that should attract bees. When those two plants are blooming you
can hear the hum as you enter the back yard and see the blossoms
bouncing from the weight of bees. (fingers crossed)
I will be interested to hear your report on the Oriental long beans. I
have been tempted. How much room are they going to take up?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 7/19/2018 8:01 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 20:22:11 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>> Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:

https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
>>> This is only the beginning, lots more comming.

>> Nice.
>> I've got about a dozen zucchini waiting the fridge. Today I will
>> shred them all and pack in 2 cup portions and freeze. 2 cups is what
>> all my zucchini baked goods recipes use.
>> I am not seeing any bees this year. I am having to hand pollinate the
>> zucchini. The cucumbers female blossoms are dropping, unpollinated.
>> Normally I have lots of bees.
>> Janet US

> * Any ideas why the bee shortage ? FWIW I seldom see honey bees on the
>squashes and other stuff in my garden and the hives are only a few feet
>away . I do see lots of other pollinators working the garden , carpenter
>bees and certain flies seem to most of that .

There has been an illness that affected bees for a couple of years
now, serious and of much concern. Likewise bats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-19 9:26 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* Any ideas why the bee shortage ? FWIW I seldom see honey bees on the
> squashes and other stuff in my garden and the hives are only a few feet
> away . I do see lots of other pollinators working the garden , carpenter
> bees and certain flies seem to most of that .

I have lots of bees around my place. I have a couple flower gardens,
flowering shrubs, and lots of clover in the lawn. Given all the reports
about the dropping bee population, I was surprised that there were so
many.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:01:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-07-19 9:26 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>

>> * Any ideas why the bee shortage ? FWIW I seldom see honey bees on the
>> squashes and other stuff in my garden and the hives are only a few feet
>> away . I do see lots of other pollinators working the garden , carpenter
>> bees and certain flies seem to most of that .

>I have lots of bees around my place. I have a couple flower gardens,
>flowering shrubs, and lots of clover in the lawn. Given all the reports
>about the dropping bee population, I was surprised that there were so
>many.

It was mostly in the USA but several hives here were also affected.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:01:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-07-19 9:26 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>

>> * Any ideas why the bee shortage ? FWIW I seldom see honey bees on the
>> squashes and other stuff in my garden and the hives are only a few feet
>> away . I do see lots of other pollinators working the garden , carpenter
>> bees and certain flies seem to most of that .

>I have lots of bees around my place. I have a couple flower gardens,
>flowering shrubs, and lots of clover in the lawn. Given all the reports
>about the dropping bee population, I was surprised that there were so
>many.

it
it's the professional beekeepers that are feeling the greatest
impact. Whether they are the bee keepers that truck hundreds of hives
around the country to pollinate various crops or whether they are
honey farms, they are losing a large percentage of bees every year and
having to buy bees from -- Hawaii?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 08:25:02 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 09:55:36 -0400, wrote:

https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/

>>>Nice.
>>>I've got about a dozen zucchini waiting the fridge. Today I will
>>>shred them all and pack in 2 cup portions and freeze. 2 cups is what
>>>all my zucchini baked goods recipes use.
>>>I am not seeing any bees this year. I am having to hand pollinate the
>>>zucchini. The cucumbers female blossoms are dropping, unpollinated.
>>>Normally I have lots of bees.
>>>Janet US

>>Could be the weather, sometimes the blossoming doesn't coinside with
>>pollinator emergence. Last year my fruit trees bloomed during an
>>early warm spell and then a frost made them all drop before the
>>pollenators arrived. This year the weather cooperated so I'll have a
>>large apple and plum crop. There are so many apples that I'll need to
>>pick off every other one or their weight will break the branches.
>>That's what they do in the orchards and that also yields larger fruit.
>>Unlike fruit trees zuchinni will continue setting blossoms so
>>eventually your pollenators will arrive. Harvest when small and they
>>will keep producing, you'll actually get a lot more by weight.
>>Every Oriental long bean seed germinated, all 20, I'm curious to see
>>how they produce, this is the first time I've planted them. They are
>>already climbing on the trellises I provided, I'm expecting a huge
>>crop, I'll probably need to freeze most. Only a very few Chinese
>>restaurants serve long beans so whenever I see them on the menu I
>>order them.
>>Amazon sells the seeds.
>>http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/stir...ng-beans-with/

>I'm thinking the cold then hot then cold then hot affected the
>pollinators. I think it was those couple of weeks off and on of night
>time temps in the 30s. I've got more zucchini than I will need. I do
>love my cucumbers and I should be swimming in them by now but have
>only had one. The horseradish and thyme should start blooming soon
>and that should attract bees. When those two plants are blooming you
>can hear the hum as you enter the back yard and see the blossoms
>bouncing from the weight of bees. (fingers crossed)
>I will be interested to hear your report on the Oriental long beans. I
>have been tempted. How much room are they going to take up?
>Janet US

Those beans have just stated to climb, they're maybe a foot tall now.
I put in 6' trellises and will post pictures once the beans form.
I don't think they need much ground area, mostly height. They're
spaced the same as regular pole beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2018 2:14 PM, Gary wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>> On 7/19/2018 8:28 AM, wrote:
>>
>>> There has been an illness that affected bees for a couple of years
>>> now, serious and of much concern.

>> Yet there has also been an increase in honey. Something does not compute.

> Perhaps we are harvesting too much honey??? They do make it for
> their own food to sustain them over the winter.

Â* A responsible beekeeper won't do that ... I have met guys that will
take just about all the honey , then feed sugar syrup thru the winter to
sustain the bees until the spring flow starts . Their logic is that
honey goes for 8 bucks/pound , sugar is around fifty cents . My logic is
that my bees do better on honey than sugar , and I'm not in it to drain
every dollar I can out of my hives . The thing about Chinese honey is
true , they cut it with corn syrup , then vend it thru the surrounding
countries . Next time you go to KFC read the label on that honey product
packet ... it ain't honey . As far as diseases , I was not aware that
there are any new ones . The old ones are bad enough ... and one of the
reasons I'm happy to be living in a very remote (relatively) part of
Arkansas . There is no monocrop (as in soybeans on the same plot every
year) farming within 50 miles or more with all the chemical support that
makes that possible . This also means that there are no "migrant hives"
coming through the area leaving their diseases and problems . Almond
pollinators come to mind , hives from all over the USA coming together
in one place to mingle and share then go home . We do have one guy that
does almonds , but none of his hives is within 20 miles of our place ,
minimizing the possibility of sharing . Those people also medicate their
bees because of the exposure . Mine are a locally developed strain that
is resistant to mites , one of the biggest problems in beekeeping now .
I do not treat , no chemicals in my hives except a spritz of Bacillus
thurigensis Aizawai to prevent wax moth damage to the empty combs after
I pull the honey . Totally harmless to everything but moth larvae ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2018 11:26 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:01:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2018-07-19 9:26 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>>
>>> Â* Any ideas why the bee shortage ? FWIW I seldom see honey bees on the
>>> squashes and other stuff in my garden and the hives are only a few feet
>>> away . I do see lots of other pollinators working the garden , carpenter
>>> bees and certain flies seem to most of that .

>> I have lots of bees around my place. I have a couple flower gardens,
>> flowering shrubs, and lots of clover in the lawn. Given all the reports
>> about the dropping bee population, I was surprised that there were so
>> many.
>>

> it
> it's the professional beekeepers that are feeling the greatest
> impact. Whether they are the bee keepers that truck hundreds of hives
> around the country to pollinate various crops or whether they are
> honey farms, they are losing a large percentage of bees every year and
> having to buy bees from -- Hawaii?
> Janet US

Â* Or another climate that warms significantly earlier than their home .
Those bought bees need queens , and those take time to get a hive up to
strength , so many beeks have a "southern yard" that they use to build
up in time to truck their bees around for pollination jobs .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-21 6:31 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 7/19/2018 2:14 PM, Gary wrote:
>> notbob wrote:

>>> Yet there has also been an increase in honey.Â* Something does not
>>> compute.

>> Perhaps we are harvesting too much honey??? They do make it for
>> their own food to sustain them over the winter.

> Â* A responsible beekeeper won't do that ... I have met guys that will
> take just about all the honey , then feed sugar syrup thru the winter to
> sustain the bees until the spring flow starts . Their logic is that
> honey goes for 8 bucks/pound , sugar is around fifty cents . My logic is
> that my bees do better on honey than sugar , and I'm not in it to drain
> every dollar I can out of my hives . The thing about Chinese honey is
> true , they cut it with corn syrup , then vend it thru the surrounding
> countries . Next time you go to KFC read the label on that honey product
> packet ... it ain't honey . As far as diseases , I was not aware that
> there are any new ones . The old ones are bad enough ... and one of the
> reasons I'm happy to be living in a very remote (relatively) part of
> Arkansas . There is no monocrop (as in soybeans on the same plot every
> year) farming within 50 miles or more with all the chemical support that
> makes that possible . This also means that there are no "migrant hives"
> coming through the area leaving their diseases and problems . Almond
> pollinators come to mind , hives from all over the USA coming together
> in one place to mingle and share then go home . We do have one guy that
> does almonds , but none of his hives is within 20 miles of our place ,
> minimizing the possibility of sharing . Those people also medicate their
> bees because of the exposure . Mine are a locally developed strain that
> is resistant to mites , one of the biggest problems in beekeeping now .
> I do not treat , no chemicals in my hives except a spritz of Bacillus
> thurigensis Aizawai to prevent wax moth damage to the empty combs after
> I pull the honey . Totally harmless to everything but moth larvae ...

We had to get ours inspected every year for AFB. It's been over 30 years
now but ISTR we treated them with a sulpha drug in the spring to prevent
this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 07:41:07 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 7/19/2018 11:26 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:01:16 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I have lots of bees around my place. I have a couple flower gardens,
>>> flowering shrubs, and lots of clover in the lawn. Given all the reports
>>> about the dropping bee population, I was surprised that there were so
>>> many.
>>>

>> it
>> it's the professional beekeepers that are feeling the greatest
>> impact. Whether they are the bee keepers that truck hundreds of hives
>> around the country to pollinate various crops or whether they are
>> honey farms, they are losing a large percentage of bees every year and
>> having to buy bees from -- Hawaii?
>> Janet US

> * Or another climate that warms significantly earlier than their home .
>Those bought bees need queens , and those take time to get a hive up to
>strength , so many beeks have a "southern yard" that they use to build
>up in time to truck their bees around for pollination jobs .

Good to know. I'm just a person curious about a lot of things,
dabbles in a few and who reads a lot.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S Janet B wrote:
> I've got about a dozen zucchini waiting the fridge. Today I will
> shred them all and pack in 2 cup portions and freeze. 2 cups is what
> all my zucchini baked goods recipes use.
> I am not seeing any bees this year. I am having to hand pollinate the
> zucchini. The cucumbers female blossoms are dropping, unpollinated.
> Normally I have lots of bees.

where about are you located?

the bees that tend to work squash and cucumbers are
more of the native bees like bumble bees and mason bees.
many people kill their hives when discovered because
they can sting multiple times and such. i've noticed a
large drop in populations of these bees the past five
years but we still have some around.

i'm hoping it is just a temporary thing.

the most likely causes of population declines are
the pesticides being used and the diseases that are
going around. also some habitat destruction and
people getting rid of their nesting sites and also
perhaps some competition from honey bees.

you can build habitat for them and other native
bees, here is one example:

https://permaculturenews.org/2013/10...-insect-hotel/

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2018 2:03 AM, Lesmond wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 18:04:56 -0700, Cheri wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message

>>> I'll take the yellow squash!
>>>

>> I'll take the zucchini.

> No one's gonna fight you for it.

I might! I love both, yellow and zucchini.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 10:40:01 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>U.S Janet B wrote:
>> I've got about a dozen zucchini waiting the fridge. Today I will
>> shred them all and pack in 2 cup portions and freeze. 2 cups is what
>> all my zucchini baked goods recipes use.
>> I am not seeing any bees this year. I am having to hand pollinate the
>> zucchini. The cucumbers female blossoms are dropping, unpollinated.
>> Normally I have lots of bees.

> where about are you located?
>
> the bees that tend to work squash and cucumbers are
>more of the native bees like bumble bees and mason bees.
>many people kill their hives when discovered because
>they can sting multiple times and such. i've noticed a
>large drop in populations of these bees the past five
>years but we still have some around.
>
> i'm hoping it is just a temporary thing.
>
> the most likely causes of population declines are
>the pesticides being used and the diseases that are
>going around. also some habitat destruction and
>people getting rid of their nesting sites and also
>perhaps some competition from honey bees.
>
> you can build habitat for them and other native
>bees, here is one example:
>
> https://permaculturenews.org/2013/10...-insect-hotel/
>

> songbird

I'm in the inter-mountain west. A bee hotel is an interesting idea.
thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2018 8:06 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 07:41:07 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/19/2018 11:26 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:01:16 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> it
>>> it's the professional beekeepers that are feeling the greatest
>>> impact. Whether they are the bee keepers that truck hundreds of hives
>>> around the country to pollinate various crops or whether they are
>>> honey farms, they are losing a large percentage of bees every year and
>>> having to buy bees from -- Hawaii?
>>> Janet US

>> Â* Or another climate that warms significantly earlier than their home .
>> Those bought bees need queens , and those take time to get a hive up to
>> strength , so many beeks have a "southern yard" that they use to build
>> up in time to truck their bees around for pollination jobs .

> Good to know. I'm just a person curious about a lot of things,
> dabbles in a few and who reads a lot.
> Janet US

I have an insatiable lust for knowledge ... I want to know everything .
Some woman a couple of weeks ago called me a Runny Sauce man ... I'm
still wondering what that means .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S Janet B wrote:
> I'm in the inter-mountain west. A bee hotel is an interesting idea.
> thanks

y.w. good luck...

songbird

First Pick Brooklyn1 General Cooking 4 09-07-2015 06:55 PM
I don't get the pick, the show is over Somebody 2.0 General Cooking 1 02-10-2012 02:40 AM
Pick one! :D Andy[_2_] General Cooking 6 27-05-2008 07:25 PM
Help me pick my mixer.... [email protected] Cooking Equipment 6 24-06-2004 02:55 PM