Old 11-07-2018, 01:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Corn Fritters

I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
down to home sized portions.

Corn Fritters
1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
1 1/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup corn meal
3 tsp. double acting baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. salad oil

salad oil or shortening for deep frying

Drain whole kernel corn very well, reserving 1/3 cup liquid
Sift flour with corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
In large bowl with rotary beater, beat eggs, 2 tbsp. salad oil and
corn liquid until well combined; add cream corn.
Stir gradually with wooden spoon, flour and cornmeal into egg mixture.
Gently stir in drained corn. mix well.
heat salad oil to 365F (2 inches deep)
drop into hot fat by spoonfuls. Fry, turning once until golden brown,
about 5 minutes
Drain
Serve with warm maple syrup

Janet US

Old 11-07-2018, 04:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 02:46:01 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Tue 10 Jul 2018 05:30:25p, U.S. Janet B. told us...

[...]

Thanks so much for sharing that recipe. I love corn fritters.
Without looking it up it sounds very similar to the hand-written
recipe my mother had. She also made pancakes with corn kernels in
them.

My mother made pancakes with fresh apple rounds in them. Good
memories, huh?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 03:48:42 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 18:30:25 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
down to home sized portions.

Corn Fritters
1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn....

And just in time for Monday July 16th - National Corn Fritter Day.

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/corn-fritters-day/

Most of theese national food holidays are for contracting diabetes
VIA sweets and desserts. So I tend to remember only the savory days.
for which there's only a few a month usually.

Coming up on the 18th is Hot Dog Day (I have 3 different brands and
buns). The 26th is Chile dog day, which I've already done twice
this month.

The 21st of July is National Junk Food Day. But I eat Good Shit on
July 21st.

And the 29th is for celebrating chicken wings and/or lasagna. And I
have everything to make lasagna.

LOL
Old 11-07-2018, 11:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:30:32 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
[...]

I tracked down my old recipe:

17-oz can creamed corn
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 C flour
1/2 t baking powder
oil

Drain some liquid from corn; there should be 1 C left. Mix corn, eggs, flour, baking powder. Fry as for pancakes. Serve with butter and syrup.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 11-07-2018, 11:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Sounds terrific. I have not had creamed corn in ages and ages.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2018 6:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
down to home sized portions.

Corn Fritters
1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
1 1/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup corn meal
3 tsp. double acting baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. salad oil

Sounds good!

All it needs is some cheese, like I usta see on Alber's corn meal boxes
fer "Mexican Corn Bread". ......not!

nb
Old 11-07-2018, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 18:30:25 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
down to home sized portions.

Corn Fritters
1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn....

And just in time for Monday July 16th - National Corn Fritter Day.

snip

-sw

You're kidding -- there's a day for that?
Old 11-07-2018, 04:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
down to home sized portions.

Corn Fritters

snip recipe

Janet US

Sounds terrific. I have not had creamed corn in ages and ages.

I haven't either. I used to make it with my fresh garden corn but
I've lost the method that I used.
Janet US
Old 11-07-2018, 04:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 03:32:49 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

I didn't think there was any liquid to be drained from creamed corn.
I'm going to have to make some corn fritters in the next month or so
Old 11-07-2018, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 09:17:57 -0600, notbob wrote:

On 7/10/2018 6:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
down to home sized portions.

Corn Fritters
1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
1 1/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup corn meal
3 tsp. double acting baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. salad oil

Sounds good!

All it needs is some cheese, like I usta see on Alber's corn meal boxes
fer "Mexican Corn Bread". ......not!

nb

Mexican corn bread is pretty good if you like corn bread.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

The 21st of July is National Junk Food Day. But I eat Good Shit on
July 21st.

LOL! Yep, eat the anti-junk food that day.
I'll buy a raw organic carrot for dinner that day.
That said, most of the old farts here in RFC seem to think almost
everything sold is junk food except for their crappy pot roast
dinner recipes.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Has neither of you considered using fresh corn for fritters?
Especially now while it's in season. That's what I use for mine.
Canned corn, hamburger helper....what's the difference?
Old 11-07-2018, 04:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

On 7/10/2018 6:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
down to home sized portions.

Corn Fritters
1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
1 1/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup corn meal
3 tsp. double acting baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. salad oil

Sounds good!

All it needs is some...

All it needs is some fresh corn rather than canned corn.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:49:17 -0400, Gary wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

I just assumed that it was a given and not needed to be explained
(sorry I forgot about you Gary) that since this was a cooking group
everyone here would make their own substitutions and understand that
since I prefaced the recipe by giving an indication of the recipe's
age, substitutions would be made by those who could understand.
(Again, sorry I didn't spell it out for you Gary)
Old 11-07-2018, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:53:50 -0400, Gary wrote:

notbob wrote:

On 7/10/2018 6:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
down to home sized portions.

Corn Fritters
1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
1 1/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup corn meal
3 tsp. double acting baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. salad oil

Sounds good!

All it needs is some...

All it needs is some fresh corn rather than canned corn.

APPLAUSE!!!! Gary got an idea!