Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Corn Fritters

I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
down to home sized portions.

Corn Fritters
1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
1 1/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup corn meal
3 tsp. double acting baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. salad oil

salad oil or shortening for deep frying

Drain whole kernel corn very well, reserving 1/3 cup liquid
Sift flour with corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
In large bowl with rotary beater, beat eggs, 2 tbsp. salad oil and
corn liquid until well combined; add cream corn.
Stir gradually with wooden spoon, flour and cornmeal into egg mixture.
Gently stir in drained corn. mix well.
heat salad oil to 365F (2 inches deep)
drop into hot fat by spoonfuls. Fry, turning once until golden brown,
about 5 minutes
Drain
Serve with warm maple syrup

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 02:46:01 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 10 Jul 2018 05:30:25p, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>

>> I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the
>> Univ. of Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut
>> the recipe down to home sized portions.
>>
>> Corn Fritters
>> 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
>> 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
>> 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
>> 1/2 cup corn meal
>> 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> 2 tsp. sugar
>> 2 eggs
>> 2 Tbsp. salad oil
>>
>> salad oil or shortening for deep frying
>>
>> Drain whole kernel corn very well, reserving 1/3 cup liquid
>> Sift flour with corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
>> In large bowl with rotary beater, beat eggs, 2 tbsp. salad oil and
>> corn liquid until well combined; add cream corn.
>> Stir gradually with wooden spoon, flour and cornmeal into egg
>> mixture. Gently stir in drained corn. mix well.
>> heat salad oil to 365F (2 inches deep)
>> drop into hot fat by spoonfuls. Fry, turning once until golden
>> brown, about 5 minutes
>> Drain
>> Serve with warm maple syrup
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>Thanks so much for sharing that recipe. I love corn fritters.
>Without looking it up it sounds very similar to the hand-written
>recipe my mother had. She also made pancakes with corn kernels in
>them.

My mother made pancakes with fresh apple rounds in them. Good
memories, huh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 03:48:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 18:30:25 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
>> Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
>> down to home sized portions.
>>
>> Corn Fritters
>> 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
>> 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn....

>And just in time for Monday July 16th - National Corn Fritter Day.
>
>https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/corn-fritters-day/
>
>Most of theese national food holidays are for contracting diabetes
>VIA sweets and desserts. So I tend to remember only the savory days.
>for which there's only a few a month usually.
>
>Coming up on the 18th is Hot Dog Day (I have 3 different brands and
>buns). The 26th is Chile dog day, which I've already done twice
>this month.
>
>The 21st of July is National Junk Food Day. But I eat Good Shit on
>July 21st.
>
>And the 29th is for celebrating chicken wings and/or lasagna. And I
>have everything to make lasagna.

LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:30:32 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
> Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
> down to home sized portions.
>
> Corn Fritters
> 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
> 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
> 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
> 1/2 cup corn meal
> 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
> 1 tsp. salt
> 2 tsp. sugar
> 2 eggs
> 2 Tbsp. salad oil
>
> salad oil or shortening for deep frying
>
> Drain whole kernel corn very well, reserving 1/3 cup liquid
> Sift flour with corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
> In large bowl with rotary beater, beat eggs, 2 tbsp. salad oil and
> corn liquid until well combined; add cream corn.
> Stir gradually with wooden spoon, flour and cornmeal into egg mixture.
> Gently stir in drained corn. mix well.
> heat salad oil to 365F (2 inches deep)
> drop into hot fat by spoonfuls. Fry, turning once until golden brown,
> about 5 minutes
> Drain
> Serve with warm maple syrup
>
> Janet US

I tracked down my old recipe:

17-oz can creamed corn
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 C flour
1/2 t baking powder
oil

Drain some liquid from corn; there should be 1 C left. Mix corn, eggs, flour, baking powder. Fry as for pancakes. Serve with butter and syrup.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
>Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
>down to home sized portions.
>
>Corn Fritters
>1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
>1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
>1 1/4 cup sifted flour
>1/2 cup corn meal
>3 tsp. double acting baking powder
>1 tsp. salt
>2 tsp. sugar
>2 eggs
>2 Tbsp. salad oil
>
>salad oil or shortening for deep frying
>
>Drain whole kernel corn very well, reserving 1/3 cup liquid
>Sift flour with corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
>In large bowl with rotary beater, beat eggs, 2 tbsp. salad oil and
>corn liquid until well combined; add cream corn.
>Stir gradually with wooden spoon, flour and cornmeal into egg mixture.
>Gently stir in drained corn. mix well.
>heat salad oil to 365F (2 inches deep)
>drop into hot fat by spoonfuls. Fry, turning once until golden brown,
>about 5 minutes
>Drain
>Serve with warm maple syrup
>
>Janet US

Sounds terrific. I have not had creamed corn in ages and ages.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2018 6:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
> Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
> down to home sized portions.
>
> Corn Fritters
> 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
> 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
> 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
> 1/2 cup corn meal
> 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
> 1 tsp. salt
> 2 tsp. sugar
> 2 eggs
> 2 Tbsp. salad oil

Sounds good!

All it needs is some cheese, like I usta see on Alber's corn meal boxes
fer "Mexican Corn Bread". ......not!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 18:30:25 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
>> Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
>> down to home sized portions.
>>
>> Corn Fritters
>> 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
>> 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn....

>And just in time for Monday July 16th - National Corn Fritter Day.

snip

>-sw

You're kidding -- there's a day for that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 06:59:26 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 18:30:25 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>

>>I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
>>Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
>>down to home sized portions.
>>
>>Corn Fritters

snip recipe

>>Janet US

>Sounds terrific. I have not had creamed corn in ages and ages.

I haven't either. I used to make it with my fresh garden corn but
I've lost the method that I used.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 03:32:49 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:30:32 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
>> Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
>> down to home sized portions.
>>
>> Corn Fritters
>> 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
>> 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
>> 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
>> 1/2 cup corn meal
>> 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> 2 tsp. sugar
>> 2 eggs
>> 2 Tbsp. salad oil
>>
>> salad oil or shortening for deep frying
>>
>> Drain whole kernel corn very well, reserving 1/3 cup liquid
>> Sift flour with corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
>> In large bowl with rotary beater, beat eggs, 2 tbsp. salad oil and
>> corn liquid until well combined; add cream corn.
>> Stir gradually with wooden spoon, flour and cornmeal into egg mixture.
>> Gently stir in drained corn. mix well.
>> heat salad oil to 365F (2 inches deep)
>> drop into hot fat by spoonfuls. Fry, turning once until golden brown,
>> about 5 minutes
>> Drain
>> Serve with warm maple syrup
>>
>> Janet US

>I tracked down my old recipe:
>
>17-oz can creamed corn
>2 eggs, beaten
>1/2 C flour
>1/2 t baking powder
>oil
>
>Drain some liquid from corn; there should be 1 C left. Mix corn, eggs, flour, baking powder. Fry as for pancakes. Serve with butter and syrup.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I didn't think there was any liquid to be drained from creamed corn.
I'm going to have to make some corn fritters in the next month or so
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 09:17:57 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 7/10/2018 6:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
>> Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
>> down to home sized portions.
>>
>> Corn Fritters
>> 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
>> 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
>> 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
>> 1/2 cup corn meal
>> 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> 2 tsp. sugar
>> 2 eggs
>> 2 Tbsp. salad oil

>Sounds good!
>
>All it needs is some cheese, like I usta see on Alber's corn meal boxes
>fer "Mexican Corn Bread". ......not!
>
>nb

Mexican corn bread is pretty good if you like corn bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> The 21st of July is National Junk Food Day. But I eat Good Shit on
> July 21st.

LOL! Yep, eat the anti-junk food that day.
I'll buy a raw organic carrot for dinner that day.
That said, most of the old farts here in RFC seem to think almost
everything sold is junk food except for their crappy pot roast
dinner recipes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:30:32 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
> > Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
> > down to home sized portions.
> >
> > Corn Fritters
> > 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
> > 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
> > 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
> > 1/2 cup corn meal
> > 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
> > 1 tsp. salt
> > 2 tsp. sugar
> > 2 eggs
> > 2 Tbsp. salad oil
> >
> > salad oil or shortening for deep frying
> >
> > Drain whole kernel corn very well, reserving 1/3 cup liquid
> > Sift flour with corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
> > In large bowl with rotary beater, beat eggs, 2 tbsp. salad oil and
> > corn liquid until well combined; add cream corn.
> > Stir gradually with wooden spoon, flour and cornmeal into egg mixture.
> > Gently stir in drained corn. mix well.
> > heat salad oil to 365F (2 inches deep)
> > drop into hot fat by spoonfuls. Fry, turning once until golden brown,
> > about 5 minutes
> > Drain
> > Serve with warm maple syrup
> >
> > Janet US

> I tracked down my old recipe:
>
> 17-oz can creamed corn
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 1/2 C flour
> 1/2 t baking powder
> oil
>
> Drain some liquid from corn; there should be 1 C left. Mix corn, eggs, flour, baking powder. Fry as for pancakes. Serve with butter and syrup.

Has neither of you considered using fresh corn for fritters?
Especially now while it's in season. That's what I use for mine.
Canned corn, hamburger helper....what's the difference?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 7/10/2018 6:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
> > Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
> > down to home sized portions.
> >
> > Corn Fritters
> > 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
> > 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
> > 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
> > 1/2 cup corn meal
> > 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
> > 1 tsp. salt
> > 2 tsp. sugar
> > 2 eggs
> > 2 Tbsp. salad oil

> Sounds good!
>
> All it needs is some...

All it needs is some fresh corn rather than canned corn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:49:17 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:30:32 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> > I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
>> > Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
>> > down to home sized portions.
>> >
>> > Corn Fritters
>> > 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
>> > 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
>> > 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
>> > 1/2 cup corn meal
>> > 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
>> > 1 tsp. salt
>> > 2 tsp. sugar
>> > 2 eggs
>> > 2 Tbsp. salad oil
>> >
>> > salad oil or shortening for deep frying
>> >
>> > Drain whole kernel corn very well, reserving 1/3 cup liquid
>> > Sift flour with corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
>> > In large bowl with rotary beater, beat eggs, 2 tbsp. salad oil and
>> > corn liquid until well combined; add cream corn.
>> > Stir gradually with wooden spoon, flour and cornmeal into egg mixture.
>> > Gently stir in drained corn. mix well.
>> > heat salad oil to 365F (2 inches deep)
>> > drop into hot fat by spoonfuls. Fry, turning once until golden brown,
>> > about 5 minutes
>> > Drain
>> > Serve with warm maple syrup
>> >
>> > Janet US

>> I tracked down my old recipe:
>>
>> 17-oz can creamed corn
>> 2 eggs, beaten
>> 1/2 C flour
>> 1/2 t baking powder
>> oil
>>
>> Drain some liquid from corn; there should be 1 C left. Mix corn, eggs, flour, baking powder. Fry as for pancakes. Serve with butter and syrup.

>Has neither of you considered using fresh corn for fritters?
>Especially now while it's in season. That's what I use for mine.
>Canned corn, hamburger helper....what's the difference?

I just assumed that it was a given and not needed to be explained
(sorry I forgot about you Gary) that since this was a cooking group
everyone here would make their own substitutions and understand that
since I prefaced the recipe by giving an indication of the recipe's
age, substitutions would be made by those who could understand.
(Again, sorry I didn't spell it out for you Gary)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:53:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>notbob wrote:
>>
>> On 7/10/2018 6:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> >
>> > I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
>> > Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
>> > down to home sized portions.
>> >
>> > Corn Fritters
>> > 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
>> > 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
>> > 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
>> > 1/2 cup corn meal
>> > 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
>> > 1 tsp. salt
>> > 2 tsp. sugar
>> > 2 eggs
>> > 2 Tbsp. salad oil

>> Sounds good!
>>
>> All it needs is some...

>All it needs is some fresh corn rather than canned corn.

APPLAUSE!!!! Gary got an idea!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:49:17 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I tracked down my old recipe:
> >>
> >> 17-oz can creamed corn
> >> 2 eggs, beaten
> >> 1/2 C flour
> >> 1/2 t baking powder
> >> oil
> >>
> >> Drain some liquid from corn; there should be 1 C left. Mix corn, eggs, flour, baking powder. Fry as for pancakes. Serve with butter and syrup.

> >Has neither of you considered using fresh corn for fritters?
> >Especially now while it's in season. That's what I use for mine.
> >Canned corn, hamburger helper....what's the difference?

> I just assumed that it was a given and not needed to be explained
> (sorry I forgot about you Gary) that since this was a cooking group
> everyone here would make their own substitutions and understand that
> since I prefaced the recipe by giving an indication of the recipe's
> age, substitutions would be made by those who could understand.
> (Again, sorry I didn't spell it out for you Gary)

Good try at "a save" Janet-poo after posting a recipe calling for
2 canned corns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:53:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:
> >All it needs is some fresh corn rather than canned corn.

> APPLAUSE!!!! Gary got an idea!

You're busted. No need to twist things now to save face.
You were free to mention fresh corn but your recipe didn't.
And you did not suggest that. No big deal though.

That all said, even the original canned corn use might be
tasty even with all the extra chemicals. I don't mind chemicals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 9:49 AM, Gary wrote:

> Canned corn, hamburger helper....what's the difference?

I know what's in "Canned corn". Only dog knows what's in Hamburger
Helper!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:03 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 7/11/2018 9:49 AM, Gary wrote:
>
>> Canned corn, hamburger helper....what's the difference?

>I know what's in "Canned corn". Only dog knows what's in Hamburger
>Helper!
>
>nb

Click on any variety and get a list of ingredients.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/products/helper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 10:15 AM, Gary wrote:

> That all said, even the original canned corn use might be
> tasty even with all the extra chemicals. I don't mind chemicals.

Canned corn contains zero chemicals (discounting the can's PBA lining).
Canned corn contains only fresh corn, water, and salt. At least that's
how it used to be, when I was young and worked in a cannery. Creamed
corn usta contain a tad bit o' thickener (flour, corn startch, etc)
besides the salt. Dog only knows what goes in a can of corn, these
days.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 11:49:14 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:30:32 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > > I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
> > > Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
> > > down to home sized portions.
> > >
> > > Corn Fritters
> > > 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
> > > 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
> > > 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
> > > 1/2 cup corn meal
> > > 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
> > > 1 tsp. salt
> > > 2 tsp. sugar
> > > 2 eggs
> > > 2 Tbsp. salad oil
> > >
> > > salad oil or shortening for deep frying
> > >
> > > Drain whole kernel corn very well, reserving 1/3 cup liquid
> > > Sift flour with corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
> > > In large bowl with rotary beater, beat eggs, 2 tbsp. salad oil and
> > > corn liquid until well combined; add cream corn.
> > > Stir gradually with wooden spoon, flour and cornmeal into egg mixture..
> > > Gently stir in drained corn. mix well.
> > > heat salad oil to 365F (2 inches deep)
> > > drop into hot fat by spoonfuls. Fry, turning once until golden brown,
> > > about 5 minutes
> > > Drain
> > > Serve with warm maple syrup
> > >
> > > Janet US

> > I tracked down my old recipe:
> >
> > 17-oz can creamed corn
> > 2 eggs, beaten
> > 1/2 C flour
> > 1/2 t baking powder
> > oil
> >
> > Drain some liquid from corn; there should be 1 C left. Mix corn, eggs, flour, baking powder. Fry as for pancakes. Serve with butter and syrup.

> Has neither of you considered using fresh corn for fritters?

I don't make fritters anymore. Too carby. I posted the recipe as
given to me. Anybody is free to make whatever modifications they
desire.

> Especially now while it's in season. That's what I use for mine.
> Canned corn, hamburger helper....what's the difference?

Del Monte Creamed Corn:

Water, Corn, Modified Food Starch (Corn), Sugar, Sea Salt.

Hamburger Helper (Lasagna flavor):

Enriched Pasta (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Dried Tomato, Sugar, Corn Starch, Salt, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Modified Corn Starch, Dried Garlic, Dried Onion, Citric Acid, Dextrose, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Basil, Dried Enzyme Modified Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes, Calcium Chloride), Maltodextrin, Oregano, Hydrolyzed Soy and Corn Protein, Color (Yellow Lakes 5&6, Red Lake 40 and Other Color Added), Natural and Artificial Flavor, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Paprika, Egg. Freshness Preserved By Ascorbic Acid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:07:08 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

>> >Has neither of you considered using fresh corn for fritters?
>> >Especially now while it's in season. That's what I use for mine.
>> >Canned corn, hamburger helper....what's the difference?

>> I just assumed that it was a given and not needed to be explained
>> (sorry I forgot about you Gary) that since this was a cooking group
>> everyone here would make their own substitutions and understand that
>> since I prefaced the recipe by giving an indication of the recipe's
>> age, substitutions would be made by those who could understand.
>> (Again, sorry I didn't spell it out for you Gary)

>Good try at "a save" Janet-poo after posting a recipe calling for
>2 canned corns.

No try to save on my part. You're just too dumb to figure it out. I
feel sorry for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:15:26 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:53:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>> >All it needs is some fresh corn rather than canned corn.

>> APPLAUSE!!!! Gary got an idea!

>You're busted. No need to twist things now to save face.
>You were free to mention fresh corn but your recipe didn't.
>And you did not suggest that. No big deal though.
>
>That all said, even the original canned corn use might be
>tasty even with all the extra chemicals. I don't mind chemicals.

the recipe was posted as originally given (as so stated) Only a fool
would expect an old recipe to contain current ingredients. No wonder
you cook the crap you do and count McDonald's as fine dining. You
know nothing about cooking. Actually, you have demonstrated that you
pretty much know nothing about anything at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 11:00 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Del Monte Creamed Corn:
>
> Water, Corn, Modified Food Starch (Corn), Sugar, Sea Salt.

Pretty much as I claimed.

> Hamburger Helper (Lasagna flavor):
>
> Enriched Pasta (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Dried Tomato, Sugar, Corn Starch, Salt, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Modified Corn Starch, Dried Garlic, Dried Onion, Citric Acid, Dextrose, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Basil, Dried Enzyme Modified Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes, Calcium Chloride), Maltodextrin, Oregano, Hydrolyzed Soy and Corn Protein, Color (Yellow Lakes 5&6, Red Lake 40 and Other Color Added), Natural and Artificial Flavor, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Paprika, Egg. Freshness Preserved By Ascorbic Acid.

Like I sed. Only Dog knows! 8|

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:50:18 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:49:17 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Has neither of you considered using fresh corn for fritters?
>> Especially now while it's in season. That's what I use for mine.
>> Canned corn, hamburger helper....what's the difference?

>If I had a desire to deep fry corn and starch, which I wouldn't, and
>if using fresh corn, I would probably par cook the corn first.
>Otherwise it would come out too raw after just a minute or two of
>frying.
>
>-sw

It might also make the fritter wet and doughy on the inside if no par
cooking was involved

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:48:50 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 11 Jul 2018 08:36:33a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 06:59:26 -0400, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

snip

>>>Sounds terrific. I have not had creamed corn in ages and ages.

>> I haven't either. I used to make it with my fresh garden corn but
>> I've lost the method that I used.
>> Janet US
>>

>My mother used to make it, first using a corn slicer that had a blade
>for an adjustable cut and a tiny vertical piece on ne of the blades
>that would split the kernals. Once cut the cobs were scraped with a
>dull knife to release all remaing "milk" that was left from cutting
>the kernals. Put into a large cook pot, she added a bit of sugar, a
>smdgen of salt, and a spoon of butter. If it wasn't soupy enough, a
>little water and/or milk was added. The whole mixture was cooked
>slowly until the right texture was reached.

that sounds about right, thx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Do people even still buy and use Hamburger Helper? I used it once, when it was first introduced,
and that one time was enough. Even the kids didn't like it.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 9:34:31 AM UTC-4, Nancy2 wrote:
> Do people even still buy and use Hamburger Helper? I used it once, when it was first introduced,
> and that one time was enough. Even the kids didn't like it.
>
> N.

They must, because it's still being sold. Betty Crocker would
discontinue it if nobody bought it.

Kids that grow up on McNuggets probably like it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 23:48:32 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:53:50 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> notbob wrote:

>>> Sounds good!
>>>
>>> All it needs is some...

>> All it needs is some fresh corn rather than canned corn.

>Wow, that's almost as ingenious as using, say, frozen corn! Imagine
>the possibilities!
>
>-sw

He farts and thinks he just got an idea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> did you go to 7-11 today?

Guess you were talking about the free tiny slurpees that they
give every July 11. No. I remembered the day but didn't bother. I
never do. I just don't like slurpees at all so a free one doesn't
appeal to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Do people even still buy and use Hamburger Helper? I used it once, when it was first introduced,
> and that one time was enough. Even the kids didn't like it.

I used to buy it occasionally years ago. Not bad tasting for a
quicky meal once in awhile but then I'm certainly not a picky
eater either. Some flavors are better than others. I haven't made
in 3-4 years or so now. Just haven't been interested but I'm not
against using it in the future.

One time, I substituted a pound of ground breakfast sausage for
the pound of ground beef. Whatever flavor of HH I chose was spot
on and the taste was so much better. Calories went much higher
too.

Maybe not so healthy combo but they have stood the test of time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
>Gary wrote:
>> tert wrote:
>>>
>>> did you go to 7-11 today?

>> Guess you were talking about the free tiny slurpees that they
>> give every July 11. No. I remembered the day but didn't bother. I
>> never do. I just don't like slurpees at all so a free one doesn't
>> appeal to me.

>I got one last year for the first time and it was at least an 8oz
>cup. I got a red one and added rum to it.
>
>-sw

Other than yoose practicing faggots none of yoose have ever given or
gotten a slurpie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 11:53 AM, Gary wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> On 7/10/2018 6:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
>>> Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
>>> down to home sized portions.
>>>
>>> Corn Fritters
>>> 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
>>> 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
>>> 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
>>> 1/2 cup corn meal
>>> 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
>>> 1 tsp. salt
>>> 2 tsp. sugar
>>> 2 eggs
>>> 2 Tbsp. salad oil

>> Sounds good!
>>
>> All it needs is some...

> All it needs is some fresh corn rather than canned corn.

WHY?! I see no reason to rail against canned corn. Keep in mind the
recipe came from the chef from her University... he was serving a lot of
people in the cafeteria. I'm sure he didn't have a bunch of workers
helping him shuck corn and cut kernels off the cob.

Use fresh corn cut off the cob if you want to. No rule says you can't
or shouldn't.

Jill