General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 02:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 778
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?

TIA

--
I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.







  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 05:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 778
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

heyjoe wrote in
news
On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:

Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid
the can tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other
hand. Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can
put the can in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make
such a device?


Why use the tab to open the can? Take your favorite can opener to it!


Trouble is, more and more products are coming in tab cans and there is no
rim on the bottom of these cans to use a can opener. I guess I'll have to
stop shopping by brand and price and concentrate on the type of can.

I have a couple of small vegetable cans with transparent plastic lids.
That type of lid would be ideal!

If you use one of those pierce and cut type openers, and it isn't long
enough to reach the bottom of the groove, take a look at one that cuts
on the side to remove the lid.


Will they work with the rimless bottom of the usual tab can? I've not
noticed this type of can opener. I'll have to look next time I get to
Walmart or wherever.

I use a side opener and haven't fooled
with those awkward tab things in years, although I'm not sure how well
it would work ona square anchovy/sardine/kipper type of tin.





--
I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.






  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,346
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

I still say a tsp will work


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 778
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

Sqwertz wrote in
:

On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:

Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid
the can tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other
hand. Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can
put the can in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make
such a device?


Other than SPAM, Chefboyardee, and potted meat, just buy traditional
cans without pull tabs and use an electric can opener. All your
problems are solved!

-sw


I'll have to look more carefully. Seems like most foods come in tab cans
with rimless bottoms. I'll evidently have to look closer.



--
I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.






  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 08:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 16,161
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

KenK wrote:

Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?


Been made forever. Get yourself a small bench vise and bolt it
permantently to the end of your counter or somewhere else nearby
that's handy.


http://images.beatsons.co.uk/images/...2-41218400.jpg
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 11:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3,641
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 12:09:56 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:

Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?


Other than SPAM, Chefboyardee, and potted meat, just buy traditional
cans without pull tabs and use an electric can opener. All your
problems are solved!

-sw


An electric can opener works on tab cans too... just don't pull the
tab first.
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 11:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,346
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 9:49:00 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?

TIA

--
I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.




I'd guess most 6 yr old kids can open pull tab cans fine.
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3,641
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

On 11 Jun 2018 17:58:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

Sqwertz wrote in
:

On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:

Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid
the can tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other
hand. Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can
put the can in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make
such a device?


Other than SPAM, Chefboyardee, and potted meat, just buy traditional
cans without pull tabs and use an electric can opener. All your
problems are solved!

-sw


I'll have to look more carefully. Seems like most foods come in tab cans
with rimless bottoms. I'll evidently have to look closer.


Any can opener will work on the tab top, just don't pull the tab
first. I use my Swing-A-Way on some pet food cans that have a tab top
because the opener cuts closer to the can side and leaves no rim so
it's easier to remove the pet food more neatly. I've no idea why some
pull tab cans don't remove the *entire* lid and leave about a 1/16"
rim... nasty engineering. I've had a lot of experience with MEs, most
are too dumb to tie their own shoes... just because someone has a
mechanical engineering degree doesn't mean they have any practical
experience... most can't hammer a nail without smashing their thumb...
I've met plenty who have trouble with thumbtacks. Never allow an ME
to sharpen your knife, it will ALWAYS end up duller. I've actually
met MEs who can't butter their bread, they literally need their
mommyto do it. You know all those space contraptions at NASA, they're
designed and built by toolmakers. In all my years I've yet to meet an
ME who can single point a thread, let's not tell them about single
pointing L H internal threads.
Any engineer who can't make what they doodle on paper needs firing,
and that would be 98%


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9,011
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 3:49:00 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?

TIA

--
I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.


Yes, but it requires that you have an active volcano nearby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M-YX-r0Ll4
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-06-2018, 04:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 607
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

wrote:
On 11 Jun 2018 17:58:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

Sqwertz wrote in
:

On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:

Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid
the can tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other
hand. Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can
put the can in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make
such a device?

Other than SPAM, Chefboyardee, and potted meat, just buy traditional
cans without pull tabs and use an electric can opener. All your
problems are solved!

-sw


I'll have to look more carefully. Seems like most foods come in tab cans
with rimless bottoms. I'll evidently have to look closer.


Any can opener will work on the tab top, just don't pull the tab
first. I use my Swing-A-Way on some pet food cans that have a tab top
because the opener cuts closer to the can side and leaves no rim so
it's easier to remove the pet food more neatly. I've no idea why some
pull tab cans don't remove the *entire* lid and leave about a 1/16"
rim... nasty engineering. I've had a lot of experience with MEs, most
are too dumb to tie their own shoes... just because someone has a
mechanical engineering degree doesn't mean they have any practical
experience... most can't hammer a nail without smashing their thumb...
I've met plenty who have trouble with thumbtacks. Never allow an ME
to sharpen your knife, it will ALWAYS end up duller. I've actually
met MEs who can't butter their bread, they literally need their
mommyto do it. You know all those space contraptions at NASA, they're
designed and built by toolmakers. In all my years I've yet to meet an
ME who can single point a thread, let's not tell them about single
pointing L H internal threads.
Any engineer who can't make what they doodle on paper needs firing,
and that would be 98%


Nice rant Popeye. Yoose is smarter than anyone on the planet.

  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 283
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans



"dsi1" wrote in message
...

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 3:49:00 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?

TIA

--
I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.


Yes, but it requires that you have an active volcano nearby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M-YX-r0Ll4

==

Hey look ... no hands!!!

  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9,011
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 3:21:47 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

Hey look ... no hands!!!


This is can opening of the highest caliber. It even heats the food up and serves it by shooting it out of the can at high velocity.
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-06-2018, 07:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3,641
Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 10:42:40 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 19:01:05 -0400, wrote:

On 11 Jun 2018 17:58:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

Sqwertz wrote in
:

On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:

Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid
the can tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other
hand. Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can
put the can in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make
such a device?

Other than SPAM, Chefboyardee, and potted meat, just buy traditional
cans without pull tabs and use an electric can opener. All your
problems are solved!

I'll have to look more carefully. Seems like most foods come in tab cans
with rimless bottoms. I'll evidently have to look closer.


Any can opener will work on the tab top,


That's not true. Many pull tab cans have a deeper lip that the
traditional top cutter won't reach.

-sw


Some pull tab cans do have a deeper lip but not so deep that my
Swing-A-Way won't open them. I just now used my Swing-A-Way on a pull
tab can of Goya garbonzos, works fine. Perhaps some electric openers
won't work but I've never owned one.
Now that I'm thinking about it the large cans of Walmart coffee have
sort of pull tab, a foil cover with a pull tab. Its lip is deeper too
but I use the Swing-A-Way to remove the entire top with no problem.
Pulling the foil lid leaves a fairly wide inside rim that makes it
difficult to pour the coffee into the plastic cannister that we use,
actually a red plastic Folgers container, has to be the best designed
coffee container out there, has a molded in hand hold making that
large diameter 33.9 oz. container easy to pick up with one hand. We
saved a few Folgers containers, very handy, and there are different
sizes.




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food related (sort of) old song :) jmcquown General Cooking 0 08-07-2007 04:41 PM
Food Related (sort of) You Tube jmcquown General Cooking 1 14-02-2007 11:13 AM
Comfort food, of a sort serene General Cooking 4 03-12-2005 02:55 PM
Storing food in opened cans [email protected] General Cooking 27 15-03-2005 02:20 AM
Authorities seize 80,000 cans of dog food sold as foie gras Barry Grau General Cooking 0 24-09-2004 07:09 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017