Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

heyjoe > wrote in
news
> On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
>> opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid
>> the can tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other
>> hand. Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can
>> put the can in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make
>> such a device?
>>

> Why use the tab to open the can? Take your favorite can opener to it!

Trouble is, more and more products are coming in tab cans and there is no
rim on the bottom of these cans to use a can opener. I guess I'll have to
stop shopping by brand and price and concentrate on the type of can.

I have a couple of small vegetable cans with transparent plastic lids.
That type of lid would be ideal!

> If you use one of those pierce and cut type openers, and it isn't long
> enough to reach the bottom of the groove, take a look at one that cuts
> on the side to remove the lid.

Will they work with the rimless bottom of the usual tab can? I've not
noticed this type of can opener. I'll have to look next time I get to
Walmart or wherever.

> I use a side opener and haven't fooled
> with those awkward tab things in years, although I'm not sure how well
> it would work ona square anchovy/sardine/kipper type of tin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I still say a tsp will work

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in
:

> On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
>> opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid
>> the can tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other
>> hand. Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can
>> put the can in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make
>> such a device?

> Other than SPAM, Chefboyardee, and potted meat, just buy traditional
> cans without pull tabs and use an electric can opener. All your
> problems are solved!
>
> -sw

I'll have to look more carefully. Seems like most foods come in tab cans
with rimless bottoms. I'll evidently have to look closer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
> opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
> tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
> Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
> in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?

Been made forever. Get yourself a small bench vise and bolt it
permantently to the end of your counter or somewhere else nearby
that's handy.

http://images.beatsons.co.uk/images/...2-41218400.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 12:09:56 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
>> opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
>> tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
>> Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
>> in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?

>Other than SPAM, Chefboyardee, and potted meat, just buy traditional
>cans without pull tabs and use an electric can opener. All your
>problems are solved!
>
>-sw

An electric can opener works on tab cans too... just don't pull the
tab first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 9:49:00 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
> opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
> tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
> Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
> in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

I'd guess most 6 yr old kids can open pull tab cans fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:
>>
>>> Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
>>> opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid
>>> the can tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other
>>> hand. Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can
>>> put the can in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make
>>> such a device?

>> Other than SPAM, Chefboyardee, and potted meat, just buy traditional
>> cans without pull tabs and use an electric can opener. All your
>> problems are solved!
>>
>> -sw

>I'll have to look more carefully. Seems like most foods come in tab cans
>with rimless bottoms. I'll evidently have to look closer.

Any can opener will work on the tab top, just don't pull the tab
first. I use my Swing-A-Way on some pet food cans that have a tab top
because the opener cuts closer to the can side and leaves no rim so
it's easier to remove the pet food more neatly. I've no idea why some
pull tab cans don't remove the *entire* lid and leave about a 1/16"
rim... nasty engineering. I've had a lot of experience with MEs, most
are too dumb to tie their own shoes... just because someone has a
mechanical engineering degree doesn't mean they have any practical
experience... most can't hammer a nail without smashing their thumb...
I've met plenty who have trouble with thumbtacks. Never allow an ME
to sharpen your knife, it will ALWAYS end up duller. I've actually
met MEs who can't butter their bread, they literally need their
mommyto do it. You know all those space contraptions at NASA, they're
designed and built by toolmakers. In all my years I've yet to meet an
ME who can single point a thread, let's not tell them about single
pointing L H internal threads.
Any engineer who can't make what they doodle on paper needs firing,
and that would be 98%

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 3:49:00 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
> opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
> tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
> Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
> in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

Yes, but it requires that you have an active volcano nearby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M-YX-r0Ll4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On 11 Jun 2018 17:58:20 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote in
>> :

>>> Other than SPAM, Chefboyardee, and potted meat, just buy traditional
>>> cans without pull tabs and use an electric can opener. All your
>>> problems are solved!
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I'll have to look more carefully. Seems like most foods come in tab cans
>> with rimless bottoms. I'll evidently have to look closer.

> Any can opener will work on the tab top, just don't pull the tab
> first. I use my Swing-A-Way on some pet food cans that have a tab top
> because the opener cuts closer to the can side and leaves no rim so
> it's easier to remove the pet food more neatly. I've no idea why some
> pull tab cans don't remove the *entire* lid and leave about a 1/16"
> rim... nasty engineering. I've had a lot of experience with MEs, most
> are too dumb to tie their own shoes... just because someone has a
> mechanical engineering degree doesn't mean they have any practical
> experience... most can't hammer a nail without smashing their thumb...
> I've met plenty who have trouble with thumbtacks. Never allow an ME
> to sharpen your knife, it will ALWAYS end up duller. I've actually
> met MEs who can't butter their bread, they literally need their
> mommyto do it. You know all those space contraptions at NASA, they're
> designed and built by toolmakers. In all my years I've yet to meet an
> ME who can single point a thread, let's not tell them about single
> pointing L H internal threads.
> Any engineer who can't make what they doodle on paper needs firing,
> and that would be 98%

Nice rant Popeye. Yoose is smarter than anyone on the planet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 3:49:00 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
> opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
> tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
> Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
> in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

Yes, but it requires that you have an active volcano nearby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M-YX-r0Ll4

==

Hey look ... no hands!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 3:21:47 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Hey look ... no hands!!!

This is can opening of the highest caliber. It even heats the food up and serves it by shooting it out of the can at high velocity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>>>I'll have to look more carefully. Seems like most foods come in tab cans
>>>with rimless bottoms. I'll evidently have to look closer.

>> Any can opener will work on the tab top,

>That's not true. Many pull tab cans have a deeper lip that the
>traditional top cutter won't reach.
>
>-sw

Some pull tab cans do have a deeper lip but not so deep that my
Swing-A-Way won't open them. I just now used my Swing-A-Way on a pull
tab can of Goya garbonzos, works fine. Perhaps some electric openers
won't work but I've never owned one.
Now that I'm thinking about it the large cans of Walmart coffee have
sort of pull tab, a foil cover with a pull tab. Its lip is deeper too
but I use the Swing-A-Way to remove the entire top with no problem.
Pulling the foil lid leaves a fairly wide inside rim that makes it
difficult to pour the coffee into the plastic cannister that we use,
actually a red plastic Folgers container, has to be the best designed
coffee container out there, has a molded in hand hold making that
large diameter 33.9 oz. container easy to pick up with one hand. We
saved a few Folgers containers, very handy, and there are different
sizes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 3:21:47 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Hey look ... no hands!!!

This is can opening of the highest caliber. It even heats the food up and
serves it by shooting it out of the can at high velocity.
==

Yers ... I saw! Scary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-11 9:48 AM, KenK wrote:
> Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
> opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid the can
> tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other hand.
> Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can put the can
> in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make such a device?

Pre heat the oven to 500 and put the can in until it opens itself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I opened a can of carrots with a pull tab yesterday and didn't use a spoon.