Default Storing food in opened cans

How safe would it be to leave food in opened cans?

I can remember in past days that doing so would cause lead poisoning.
I am not sure what they line the cans with now, but I am sure it does
not contain lead.

How safe would it be to open a can of beans and eat half and put the
other half covered in the fridge? Leave it for a day? Leave it for a
week?

I don't like to wash dishes.

Food For Thought

I don't like a "tinny" taste. So I transfer food to a container and
label it with the date. If you stick a can in there, you run the risk
of forgetting when you opened it. You can't seal or close it properly
either. So the food inside may get dried up...or the liquid may absorb
any "RO" (refrigerator odor) you may have. As someone who cleans her
Mom's fridge constantly of these pests, I say it's not safe on many
levels. If you pour the leftover food into a dish you can use to heat
and eat from, you're not washing any extra dishes. You can chuck a
Ziplock Container.

zxcvbob

Sheldon wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>>Perfectly safe. If the can itself is covered the food will remain
>>fresh as long as it would in a storage container. I've stuck
>>half-full
>>cans in the fridge (much to my spouse's horror)covered with a plastic
>>baggie. No problem.
>>
>>Mac

> Highly unsafe practice... leftover tinned food must be removed to a
> non-metalic container.

http://www.nfpa-food.org/content/consumers/faqs.asp

No it's not unsafe. The cans are coated on the inside with lacquer.
Some cans (like the ones used for corn) are coated with enamel. If the
lacquer gets scratched, the food may discolor at the site of the scratch
and absorb a little iron -- which is good for you.

If it were unsafe, it would have been unsafe to put the food in the can
in the first place. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Bob
George

zxcvbob wrote:

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Especially when it is published by the National Food Processors
Association. I can't imagine how they think they have the credentials to
publish such ridiculous guidelines...

> Bob

Pretty useful info. Thanks

I wish every can had a LARGE expration date.

Edwin Pawlowski

"George" > wrote in message
> zxcvbob wrote:
>

> Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
>

> Especially when it is published by the National Food Processors
> Association. I can't imagine how they think they have the credentials to
> publish such ridiculous guidelines...

They have a bunch of candy-assed lawyers that would have you do anything to
eliminate the can once opened. You keep something in the opened can for six
weeks and it gets all moldy and you eat it anyway. they get sued.
Eliminate the can, eliminate the potential lawsuit.

How many products also say "refrigerate after opening" but don't really have
to be refrigerated? Ketchup is a perfect example.

Don't believe everything you read if a lawyer was involved.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Maverick

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
om...

> "George" > wrote in message
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>

>> Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
>>

>> Especially when it is published by the National Food Processors
>> Association. I can't imagine how they think they have the credentials to
>> publish such ridiculous guidelines...
>>

> They have a bunch of candy-assed lawyers that would have you do anything
> to eliminate the can once opened. You keep something in the opened can
> for six weeks and it gets all moldy and you eat it anyway. they get sued.
> Eliminate the can, eliminate the potential lawsuit.
>
> How many products also say "refrigerate after opening" but don't really
> have to be refrigerated? Ketchup is a perfect example.

Get ready Ed! I made a similar comment a short while back about this and it
sent half the regulars on here chasing after their ketchup bottles and they
were quick to point out my little error.

> Don't believe everything you read if a lawyer was involved.

No argument there!

> --
> Ed
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Bret

Sheldon

king kong farts wrote:
> I've kept opened 5 pound cans of refried beans for two weeks in the
> fridge with a baggie over the top, no problems.

Anyone who eats 5 pounds of refried beans has much larger problems.

Bob (this one)

Sheldon wrote:

>>>How safe would it be to leave food in opened cans?
>>>
>>>I can remember in past days that doing so would cause lead poisoning.
>>>I am not sure what they line the cans with now, but I am sure it does
>>>not contain lead.
>>>
>>>How safe would it be to open a can of beans and eat half and put the
>>>other half covered in the fridge? Leave it for a day? Leave it for

>>a week?
>>
>>Perfectly safe. If the can itself is covered the food will remain
>>fresh as long as it would in a storage container. I've stuck half-full
>>cans in the fridge (much to my spouse's horror)covered with a plastic
>>baggie. No problem.
>>
>>Mac

> Highly unsafe practice... leftover tinned food must be removed to a
> non-metalic container.

http://www.nfpa-food.org/content/consumers/faqs.asp

Or else you get "Open can poisoning" because the can suddenly
transforms into Kryptonite and makes you weak and you fall down,
sobbing, next to Clark Kent (who you didn't know was Superman because
he combed his hair differently and put on those eyeglasses).

Oh, wait. I forgot. That doesn't happen anymore. Now what happens is
that the can gradually shrinks because of the humidity levels in the
fridge and squeezes the food in it into little bullets of Former-Food
that are only useful as anti-tank slugs, but with protein, fats and
carbs...

Cans are designed to hold food. Modern packaging practices have
removed the things in the containers that could potentially be
harmful. Corporate lawyers have changed the laws of physics and
biochemistry just by saying it's not safe, just like blowhole Sheldon
whose last original thought was to fingerpaint with that stuff he
found in his diaper. Amazing power over the physical universe, they
all have...

Pastorio

George

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> They have a bunch of candy-assed lawyers that would have you do anything to
> eliminate the can once opened. You keep something in the opened can for six
> weeks and it gets all moldy and you eat it anyway. they get sued.
> Eliminate the can, eliminate the potential lawsuit.
>
> How many products also say "refrigerate after opening" but don't really have
> to be refrigerated? Ketchup is a perfect example.
>
> Don't believe everything you read if a lawyer was involved.

I don't disagree with you about lawyers. But can or not the lawyers will
jump in. "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, my client became seriously
ill after eating food canned by the defendant. The defendants council
will try to tell you they are not responsible because my client
transferred the contents of the can to his own container. But you must
find that the defendant is liable because they did not provide a
specific warning about mould growth..."
zxcvbob

Bob (this one) wrote:
> just like blowhole Sheldon whose last original thought was to
> fingerpaint with that stuff he found in his diaper. Amazing power
> over the physical universe, they all have...

Actually, Sheldon's last original thought was to use the word
"pecksniff" (borrowed from Dickens) to describe a certain type of
obnoxoius asshole that wanders in here occasionally. The word wasn't
original, but I believe the application was.

It's a good word; a classic literary reference that sounds vaguely
obscene. I think it's Sheldon's most valuable contribution to the
group. He should have quit while he was ahead.

Best regards,
Bob
aem

zxcvbob wrote:
[snip preceding]
> Then maybe you'd care to explain what the obvious risk of using an
> opened can for storing food in the refrigerator is? (Hint: I've
> already explained in an earlier post why it's not risky. You might
> want to refer to that.)

Well, let's just think about it for a minute instead of citing
anecdotal experience or industry lawyers. The ideal refrigerator
storage container will be of material that won't react with the food,
will be airtight, and will minimize the volume of air inside the
container, right? The first is no problem for cans because they don't
use the wrong material (any more) to begin with. The second depends on
how you cover the can--paper, baggie, plastic, foil--and how tightly
you seal it. In most cases, a real storage container will win this
competition. The third factor depends on how much is left in the can
versus how well-sized to the contents is the separate container. I'd
guess the can loses this comparison more often than it wins. So,
storing unused food in its can probably is a little bit inferior to
using a separate container, if the time period is long enough. That's
usually quite a few days for most foods.

The can has one big advantage: when the food does go bad you can just
throw the whole thing away. You don't have to deal with scraping out
yucky stuff and then thoroughly washing the container.

None of this matters to the anal personality type whose refrigerator is
tidy and organized with everything in its proper container and every
container in its proper place. I used to know one of those, but
thankfully she left my life.

-aem

Sheldon

aem wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
> [snip preceding]
> > Then maybe you'd care to explain what the obvious risk of using an
> > opened can for storing food in the refrigerator is? (Hint: I've
> > already explained in an earlier post why it's not risky. You might
> > want to refer to that.)
> >

> Well, let's just think about it for a minute instead of citing
> anecdotal experience or industry lawyers. The ideal refrigerator
> storage container will be of material that won't react with the food,
> will be airtight, and will minimize the volume of air inside the
> container, right? The first is no problem for cans because they

don't
> use the wrong material (any more) to begin with. The second depends

on
> how you cover the can--paper, baggie, plastic, foil--and how tightly
> you seal it. In most cases, a real storage container will win this
> competition. The third factor depends on how much is left in the can
> versus how well-sized to the contents is the separate container. I'd
> guess the can loses this comparison more often than it wins. So,
> storing unused food in its can probably is a little bit inferior to
> using a separate container, if the time period is long enough.

That's
> usually quite a few days for most foods.
>
> The can has one big advantage: when the food does go bad you can

just
> throw the whole thing away. You don't have to deal with scraping out
> yucky stuff and then thoroughly washing the container.
>
> None of this matters to the anal personality type whose refrigerator

is
> tidy and organized with everything in its proper container and every
> container in its proper place. I used to know one of those, but
> thankfully she left my life.
>
> -aem

Why yoose imbeciles can't figure out why NOT to store leftovers in cans
is utterly amazing.

Slews of reputable citations can be found, and from all corners of the
world, not just the US... here's another"

http://tinyurl.com/6cfn3

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...y_storage?Open

Sheldon

aem

Sheldon wrote:
>[snip]
> Why yoose imbeciles can't figure out why NOT to store leftovers in
> cans is utterly amazing.
>
> Slews of reputable citations can be found, and from all corners of
> the world, not just the US... here's another"
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6cfn3

Maybe because the reputable citations simply say 'don't do it' without
saying anything about _why_ moving the food to another container is
better. It's not the temperature, it's not covering any container
airtight, what is it? This cite is another government agency which
will naturally err on the side of caution. If they actually know
something that's wrong with using original cans, they don't say so.

Is it just canned goods? I opened a jar of pickle relish the other day
to mix some with mayo, etc. for a kind of tartar sauce. Put the jar
back in the 'fridge. Should I have transferred the relish to a storage
container? What makes glass better than cans? What about the leftover
sour cream? What makes coated paper better than cans?

-aem

Peter Aitken

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sheldon wrote:
>>[snip]
>> Why yoose imbeciles can't figure out why NOT to store leftovers in
>> cans is utterly amazing.
>>
>> Slews of reputable citations can be found, and from all corners of
>> the world, not just the US... here's another"
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6cfn3

> Maybe because the reputable citations simply say 'don't do it' without
> saying anything about _why_ moving the food to another container is
> better. It's not the temperature, it's not covering any container
> airtight, what is it? This cite is another government agency which
> will naturally err on the side of caution. If they actually know
> something that's wrong with using original cans, they don't say so.
>
> Is it just canned goods? I opened a jar of pickle relish the other day
> to mix some with mayo, etc. for a kind of tartar sauce. Put the jar
> back in the 'fridge. Should I have transferred the relish to a storage
> container? What makes glass better than cans? What about the leftover
> sour cream? What makes coated paper better than cans?
>
> -aem

I believe the cautions date from many years ago when metal cans were made
differently. Food in the presence of air could react with the metal of the
can and create off colors, tastes, and perhaps even toxins. As has been
pointed out by others, cans are vastly improved these days and the dangers
no longer exist.

--
Peter Aitken

Sheldon

aem wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> >[snip]
> > Why yoose imbeciles can't figure out why NOT to store leftovers in
> > cans is utterly amazing.
> >
> > Slews of reputable citations can be found, and from all corners of
> > the world, not just the US... here's another"
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6cfn3

> Maybe because the reputable citations simply say 'don't do it'

without
> saying anything about _why_ moving the food to another container is
> better. It's not the temperature, it's not covering any container
> airtight, what is it? This cite is another government agency which
> will naturally err on the side of caution. If they actually know
> something that's wrong with using original cans, they don't say so.
>
> Is it just canned goods? I opened a jar of pickle relish the other

day
> to mix some with mayo, etc. for a kind of tartar sauce. Put the jar
> back in the 'fridge. Should I have transferred the relish to a

storage
> container? What makes glass better than cans? What about the

leftover
> sour cream? What makes coated paper better than cans?

Sheesh... so close yet so far... you are truly dumb beyond belief, and
you're fighting tooth and claw to remain so. You actually answered the
question... but with the IQ of sea cucumber there's no way you can
know.

Well, I refrigerate leftovers of cat food in the can all the time, but
for some reason, I rarely do it with my own food. Of course, most of
the time I use canned food for human consumption, I use the entire can
of whatever it is in the recipe I'm making. It usually requires
heating or other further preparation, so I rarely have the problem with
canned foods for human consumption. The rare exceptions would be canned
fruit...and that I always put into glass or plastic containers b/c
fruit is acid and I was just taught not to leave fruit in the can.

However, I have noticed cans from vegetables like corn, peas and
potatoes all have a white lining now, as do the cat food cans.

I always get those plastic lids for the canned cat food...I usually
keep one aside for "human" cans and if I do run into a can of veggies
that I don't plan to consume in one sitting or repackage the leftovers,
I will just pop a clean cat food can lid on top and put it in the
fridge.

The cat food cans don't sit for more than 12 hours in the fridge. She
gets half a can, morning and night.

The cans are lined, as I said, so I don't think it's a big problem.

Thing is, I make my living off of liability and personal injury
cases....I know how litigious people are and those "guidelines" are
really just to limit liability for the food processors. Better to err
on the side of caution, right?

Boron Elgar

On 14 Mar 2005 10:01:37 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>>[snip]
>> Why yoose imbeciles can't figure out why NOT to store leftovers in
>> cans is utterly amazing.
>>
>> Slews of reputable citations can be found, and from all corners of
>> the world, not just the US... here's another"
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6cfn3

>Maybe because the reputable citations simply say 'don't do it' without
>saying anything about _why_ moving the food to another container is
>better. It's not the temperature, it's not covering any container
>airtight, what is it? This cite is another government agency which
>will naturally err on the side of caution. If they actually know
>something that's wrong with using original cans, they don't say so.
>
>Is it just canned goods? I opened a jar of pickle relish the other day
>to mix some with mayo, etc. for a kind of tartar sauce. Put the jar
>back in the 'fridge. Should I have transferred the relish to a storage
>container? What makes glass better than cans? What about the leftover
>sour cream? What makes coated paper better than cans?
>
>-aem

High acid foods can react with the can and metal can leach into the
foods. The big fear used to be lead from the solder, but I do not know
if that itself is still a danger in the US. Many cans are one piece
now, too. And, of course, not all of us live in the US and we also
have access to foods from many nation in the ethnic stores we may
frequent. Different countries have different rules & regs about what
is allowed.

http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sis/chapter1.pdf

Some cans are lined with sealants these days that *some* say leach
chemicals that mimic estrogens. I am having a hard time finding
rock-solid & trustworthy citations for this, though, by all means,
pursue it yourself if you feel it is compelling.

Google around a bit for more info if you need it, but be aware that
there are many crackpot web pages out there.

Boron

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> How safe would it be to leave food in opened cans?
>
> I can remember in past days that doing so would cause lead poisoning.
> I am not sure what they line the cans with now, but I am sure it does
> not contain lead.
>
> How safe would it be to open a can of beans and eat half and put the
> other half covered in the fridge? Leave it for a day? Leave it for a
> week?
>
> I don't like to wash dishes.

Like most things, it depends primarily on the food and the can.
Pork-and-beans, the staple of God's food group of fried eggs, fried
potatoes, and cold canned pork and beans, doesn't seem to have any side
effects sitting in a can - more likely the users are dying of the grease
from the eggs and potatoes than from bean cans.

However, like many of these things, in question, the main reason is missed
by jumping immediately to the can.
The can exterior was in the warehouse, on the shelves, and in your
pantry -
In that journey from the packager to the refrigerator, the can may have
been used as a footstool by rats, mice, cockroaches, and other insects along
the way (in or out of the box) , and your can almost certainly was handled
by someone who may wipe their nose on their hand or some like habit, and
then that hand stocked the can on the grocer's shelves.
And you want to put that oft-touched can in the refrigerator next to the
other food, where the self-defrosting air fan can swirl whatever was on the
can into and onto the other food and containers.
May not be the best of ideas.

background -

1) Food in a sealed can is kept from changing by storing it in an
oxygen-free once-heated-to-killing pest-resistant environment. The food does
interact with the container, but it's how much and how fast that counts in
preservation.

2) Acidity inhibits the growth of many non-aerobic bacteria (basically,
those that don't need oxygen to grow)
in that particular environment ( e.g., the botulism-toxin-producing
bacteria not producing the deadly byproduct in acid foods).

3) Acid attacks most materials, leeching out the metal and adding it to the
food. Again, its the rate and the byproduct created that counts.

4) The cans themselves are usually made of A TYPE OF steel, and recently
some are made of aluminum. (It gets a little esoteric, but aluminum cans
can be thinner than steel, but aluminum cans also are less resistant to
acids, so for some foods they have to be heavier, defeating their use. And
rodents can go thru aluminum fairly easily. )

5) To make a can, the metal has to have certain characteristics to make
the metal roll without cracks or creases and "weld" properly. (Its often a
friction/bending type heating) The steel is alloyed (alloy means small
amounts of elements like silicon, lead, molybdenum, etc are added to the
steel allow sliding at metal pressures, malleability, etc)
In not-so-olden days, the ends were soldered on, using lead-tin. Most
cans use better methods today.
Acid apparently leaches lead better in the presence of oxygen. Acid will
leech out the alloying elements in steel and aluminum.
It is doubtful that storing it open once in your adult life is going to
leech enough metals to hurt you. Throughout your life may. Children process
metals more slowly, I understand.

6) The insides of some canned food types are coated with zinc over the
"welded" seals and the inside surface (see the insides of a pineapple can
with that "patterned" look - that's zinc), and some are coated with plastics
(the clear yellow-brown tinted stuff aka "lacquer") - to minimize metal
transfer to the food. Scratches from utensils break that seal. Removing the
food to another container removes the contact potential.
The type of zinc and the process used in food contact were regulated in
the US, last time I looked. Can't say as to plastic/lacquer either way.

7) Most plastic (saran being the noted exception) allows moisture to
migrate - both ways - so keeping a vacuum in most single-layer plastics is
much more difficult. And smell passes with that moisture to the ten thousand
times more sensitive vermin nose, so plastic containers are more susceptible
to vermin contact and vermin attack. Mice can chew plastic a lot easier than
they can steel.

I personally think that, with a few exceptions, storing food in cans after
opening is a bad practice, unless you had cooked it over an open fire in the
woods.
And besides, the cans don't microwave at all well. You have to put it in a
microwave dish later anyway, so put it in the paper bowl or whatever now and
remove all doubt.

fwiw.....

btw - yes, glass jars have the same considerations as to external
contamination - which is why you are supposed to keep all food in the
refrigerator covered, and use the perishables within a day or two.
(Even if you wipe the jars or cans before putting them in the frig.)

----------

Note that the reason you are supposed to do something is not a guarantee
that something else will happen if you don't. Sometimes it doesn't make a
difference in that time, and sometimes it isn't detectable until much later,
and sometimes you get hit by a truck before your arteries harden.
And sometimes that warning about the truck should have been heeded.

"--" > wrote in message

> [...]

> 7) Most plastic (saran being the noted exception) allows moisture to
> migrate - both ways - so keeping a vacuum in most single-layer plastics is
> much more difficult. And smell passes with that moisture to the ten

thousand
> times more sensitive vermin nose, so plastic containers are more

susceptible
> to vermin contact and vermin attack. Mice can chew plastic a lot easier

than
> they can steel.
>
> I personally think that, with a few exceptions, storing food in cans after
> opening is a bad practice, unless you had cooked it over an open fire in

the
> woods.
> And besides, the cans don't microwave at all well. You have to put it in

> microwave dish later anyway, so put it in the paper bowl or whatever now

Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> just like blowhole Sheldon whose last original thought was to
>> fingerpaint with that stuff he found in his diaper. Amazing power
>> over the physical universe, they all have...
>>

> Actually, Sheldon's last original thought was to use the word
> "pecksniff" (borrowed from Dickens) to describe a certain type of
> obnoxoius asshole that wanders in here occasionally. The word wasn't
> original, but I believe the application was.

Nah. It's in the dictionary, and in several forms - pecksniffian as
adjective, for example. Nothing new there. I picked it up in the early
60's in a lit course.

> It's a good word; a classic literary reference that sounds vaguely
> obscene. I think it's Sheldon's most valuable contribution to the
> group. He should have quit while he was ahead.

If that was his greatest contribution, then he's in bigger trouble
than even I thought. It wasn't his, like most of his "wisdom" that
comes from books and websites unattributed.

Poor Sheldon...

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Sheldon wrote:
> aem wrote:
>
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>> [snip] Why yoose imbeciles can't figure out why NOT to store
>>> leftovers in cans is utterly amazing.
>>>
>>> Slews of reputable citations can be found, and from all corners
>>> of the world, not just the US... here's another"
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6cfn3

>> Maybe because the reputable citations simply say 'don't do it'
>> without saying anything about _why_ moving the food to another
>> container is better. It's not the temperature, it's not covering
>> any container airtight, what is it? This cite is another
>> government agency which will naturally err on the side of
>> caution. If they actually know something that's wrong with using
>> original cans, they don't say so.
>>
>> Is it just canned goods? I opened a jar of pickle relish the
>> other day to mix some with mayo, etc. for a kind of tartar sauce.
>> Put the jar back in the 'fridge. Should I have transferred the
>> relish to a storage container? What makes glass better than
>> cans? What about the leftover sour cream? What makes coated
>> paper better than cans?

> Sheesh... so close yet so far... you are truly dumb beyond belief,
> and you're fighting tooth and claw to remain so. You actually
> answered the question... but with the IQ of sea cucumber there's no
> way you can know.

So I guess Wizard Sheldon's answer is, "No, I don't have any good
reasons. I read it somewhere and that's good enough for me."

Pastorio

Storing Opened Red Wines Bryan Wine 30 22-10-2006 05:21 PM
storing liqueur once opened Chuck General Cooking 12 12-02-2006 10:24 AM
New food store opened this morning Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 5 22-07-2005 05:41 PM
storing food in freezer, how long can one store food? KOS General Cooking 7 10-03-2005 07:37 PM
Authorities seize 80,000 cans of dog food sold as foie gras Barry Grau General Cooking 0 24-09-2004 07:09 PM