Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight, Chicken Shawarma

Chicken Shawarma

Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 Cup olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 Cup chopped onion
2 TB preblended Shawarma seasoning
Pinch of crushed red pepper (or more, as desired)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat

This is your base meat and yes, you can use breasts or bone in cuts
though be careful to not overcook breasts. I actually used Calamansi
powder for the lemon I was out of this time. Works fine.

This is placed in a pan over a diffuser and slow cooked for about 1.5
hours with frequent turning.

Turn the heat off and remove the cooked meat and onion. Take the oil
sauce down to about 3 TB and add sour cream or plain yogurt and stir
until smoothe. Add a little hot sauce (Gojujang is optimal). The
classic is stuffed in a pita but you can use burrito wrapper as well.

Add chopped lettuce to the wrapper then meat and dole out some of the
sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 2:37:42 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Chicken Shawarma
>
> Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
> 1/4 Cup olive oil
> 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
> 1/4 Cup chopped onion
> 2 TB preblended Shawarma seasoning
> Pinch of crushed red pepper (or more, as desired)
> 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
>
> This is your base meat and yes, you can use breasts or bone in cuts
> though be careful to not overcook breasts. I actually used Calamansi
> powder for the lemon I was out of this time. Works fine.
>
> This is placed in a pan over a diffuser and slow cooked for about 1.5
> hours with frequent turning.
>
> Turn the heat off and remove the cooked meat and onion. Take the oil
> sauce down to about 3 TB and add sour cream or plain yogurt and stir
> until smoothe. Add a little hot sauce (Gojujang is optimal). The
> classic is stuffed in a pita but you can use burrito wrapper as well.
>
> Add chopped lettuce to the wrapper then meat and dole out some of the
> sauce.

Sounds good. Oddly, I'd favor Sriracha with this. There's a Syrian
place in town that stocks sriracha as its hot sauce, and I got used
to having it with Middle Eastern food.

Cindy Hamilton