Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Dinner tonight, Chicken Shawarma

Chicken Shawarma

Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 Cup olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 Cup chopped onion
2 TB preblended Shawarma seasoning
Pinch of crushed red pepper (or more, as desired)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat

This is your base meat and yes, you can use breasts or bone in cuts
though be careful to not overcook breasts. I actually used Calamansi
powder for the lemon I was out of this time. Works fine.

This is placed in a pan over a diffuser and slow cooked for about 1.5
hours with frequent turning.

Turn the heat off and remove the cooked meat and onion. Take the oil
sauce down to about 3 TB and add sour cream or plain yogurt and stir
until smoothe. Add a little hot sauce (Gojujang is optimal). The
classic is stuffed in a pita but you can use burrito wrapper as well.

Add chopped lettuce to the wrapper then meat and dole out some of the
sauce.